User Tag List

Page 122 of 137 FirstFirst ... 112118119120121122123124125126132 ... LastLast
Results 12,101 to 12,200 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a banger. Aiming for October apparently. Munhoz had it and he's already been rescheduled for the next PPV. Cody's talented enough to beat him, just whether his chin holds up. Saying that, if he fights smart he shouldn't get cracked. High risk fight for Cody seeing as he'll probably have to win another if he wins considering the losing streak he's coming off, particularly with Dillashaw due back in January.

Dana expressed concern that they shut the Vegas shows down given the COVID. Considering the safe quarantining in place I'd like to think they can carry on regardless, providing they stay this anal with testing.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working from home has it's advantages. Watching Bushido 9. The double tournament, so many good fights. I think I have the Shockwave or whatever after this that has the rest of the tournament but HOLY SHIT the level of talent is off the charts. How fucking amazing was Gomi? Seriously. IMHO, the greatest Japanese MMA fighter of all time. I say that with a very very small list of Japanese fighters I could even name off the top of my head, and most of them debuted before 2005 lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's fair to say he's the best. Lately, Horiguchi is the stand out but doesn't have Gomi's resume. Aoki too was annoyingly great. The talent dried up post PRIDE. Sakuraba, Okami, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Misaki, KID, Genki and Fuji were all great fighters. Mad when you think of the history of Japanese MMA that Nigeria, New Zealand and Poland have beaten them to a UFC title.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I think it's fair to say he's the best. Lately, Horiguchi is the stand out but doesn't have Gomi's resume. Aoki too was annoyingly great. The talent dried up post PRIDE. Sakuraba, Okami, Sakurai, Kawajiri, Misaki, KID, Genki and Fuji were all great fighters. Mad when you think of the history of Japanese MMA that Nigeria, New Zealand and Poland have beaten them to a UFC title.
    Outside of maybe Okami, none of them ever mastered the art of weight cutting. That's the only thing I can think of. I guess you can count Sakuraba as a tournament champion...?

I think only 3 Japanese fighters have even challenged for a UFC title.

Still, when it comes to the Pride era we're talking about it's STACKED. Definitely saw less of Akira Shoji and more of Sakurai.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horiguchi, Sakurai and Okami if I remember correctly. None remotely competitive in those fights either. I guess it helped fighting locally too, and obviously the ring - though Okami ended up quite good at using the cage in the end. I only class tournament champions from the 8/16 man era, proper shit!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horiguchi, Sakurai and Okami if I remember correctly. None remotely competitive in those fights either. I guess it helped fighting locally too, and obviously the ring - though Okami ended up quite good at using the cage in the end. I only class tournament champions from the 8/16 man era, proper shit!
    I actually forgot about Sakurai v. Matt Hughes I was thinking of Caol Uno. I think he fought Jens and BJ for the title.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yeah, did the best too, went to a draw with BJ.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't look like it was much of a card last night, beside the undefeated guys on the prelims. Kattar won but no knockdowns or much drama, but Ige is tough and hard to put down so not much of a surprise. He's a great fighter though. He's a problem for anybody at the top of that weight class because it's not wrestler heavy (Zabit aside, who he lost to over 3 rounds) and his hands and length match up well with the champion and top contenders.

Saturday's card is better. Flyweight title fight and a big one at middleweight with Gastelum vs. Hermansson. Can't see past DF beating Benavidez again, big question is the weight cut of course. In an ideal world Joe would have spent the time since his loss grappling extensively and working on strength, but COVID surely has limited that. So it will be Joe with a lesser chin fighting a guy who now has main event experience, and it didn't go well without those variables. Gastelum beats Hermansson I think, but he's in danger of becoming one of the sport's great under achievers. Still young obviously, but if he was more disciplined we'd probably be looking at him making a middleweight run after a successful reign at welterweight. This is his make right fight, if he loses it he's on the scrap heap pretty much.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally spaced the card last night....I've seen 3 of the fighters that were on the card: Tim Elliott, Jimmie Rivera, and I THINK I've see that Cody Stammann dude but I'm not 100% sure. Ryan Benoit sounded familiar but I think I'm confusing him with Chris Benoit and Ryan Couture.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have seen Kattar, been on a few big cards - most notably at 249 against Stephens. Was bare in name value, international prelim fighters at best but some talent there.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I just read that Marlon Moraes accepted a fight against Cody Garbrandt and then tested positive for Covid. Not sure if that matters but fuck that would be a beastly fight.
    I assume they can still make the fight happen, right? I don't know what the protocol is like, but he'll only have to sit out for a couple weeks, correct?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd have seen Kattar, been on a few big cards - most notably at 249 against Stephens. Was bare in name value, international prelim fighters at best but some talent there.
    Ah ok I'm not 100% sure I even watched that Stephens fight but now I remember seeing a highlight or 2 of that finish. Yeah looking at his fight history he had 1 main card fight, wins, then headlines a card.....Whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JuveLeo View Post
    I assume they can still make the fight happen, right? I don't know what the protocol is like, but he'll only have to sit out for a couple weeks, correct?
    I think so. The fight isn't going down until Fall so who knows.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I found it a weird main event, when there's Gastelum in a 3 rounder this Saturday. I'd like to see more non-main event 5 rounders to be honest, would prefer 2 5 rounders and 1 less fight in general I think, mainly with the inconsistencies - Sterling is getting a title shot in his first 5 rounder while a fighter like Overeem has had nearly a dozen for 1 title shot. Should be based on importance not just card positioning.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean, did last night warrant a 5-rounder or is it simply, Main Event=5 rounds? When was the last time we had a 3-round main event? 4-5 years?

I guess they have to use what they have and if you're a die hard fan you probably tuned in last night. I know if we were talking 5-6 years ago I would have watched a card like that but think about the level of fighters we had just 5-6 years ago versus today? Not just skill but name quality.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, Kattar had a 3 round main event last year when the actual main event dropped out the week of the fight. In terms of major fights, Adesanya vs. Silva was a 3 round PPV headliner.

I like that there's stacked PPV cards, but I find it weird that most PPV fights are more important than Fight Night main events, yet don't get 5 rounds. The Sandhagen vs. Sterling fight, consesus #1 contenders match, should switch with fucking Eye vs. Cavilho as a 5 rounder for example. Rose vs. Andrade as a 3 rounder, 1 vs. 2, then 4 days later 6 vs. 10 at featherweight is 5 rounds? Odd.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Looking like Adesanya v. Costa has a sept. 19 date..

Straight banger..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff. Come about because of the delay to Khabib vs. Gaethje, understandable due to Khabib losing his father, but I think I like this fight happening first anyway as neither have fought since the pandemic - gives Gaethje time to put a real camp together for that Khabib fight, whereas Adesanya and Costa have known they're fighting since March, both healthy too.

Kelvin Gastelum just got heel hooked inside 2 minutes. Wasn't expecting that. Some fall from grace, he's close to the chopping block 15 months after going neck and neck with Adesanya. Fortunately for him, they'll probably rehab him by giving him Anderson Silva.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has there ever been a more emphatic one round drubbing than what Joe suffered last night? Dropped heavily 3 times, big cut to the forehead and choked unconscious. Figgy Smalls is a bad motherfucker. The sport can't always provide a happy ending to veterans. Benavidez is a great fighter, but there's usually a reason somebody hasn't won a title in 27 ZUFFA fights - there's just always been somebody better.

Card next week, at press time, has FIFTEEN fights. Absurd. Getting the most out of Fight Island. Whittaker vs. Till, Shogun vs. Nogueira 3 and Werdum vs. Gustafsson on top so plenty of relevance and novelty. A few genuine prospects sprinkled about but quite a bit of fat. Saying that, prelims have been excellent lately so might be a few good performances. Always down to watch Bobby Knuckles, Shogun and Gus.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot that Kelvin fought Vitor a few years back. I had to check his record, not that impressive for a guy who just fought for a title a year ago.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's the classic good wins with an asterisk, because Vitor and Bisping were either shot or had no business fighting so soon after a tough fight. Like Stefan Struve, got 2 of the best 5 heavyweights of all time on his record, caught Stipe before he got good and fought the ghost of Nogueira. They tried to get Schaub on that path but he got banged by old Nog coming off double knee surgery or something .

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m interested in seeing how Gus holds up at heavyweight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Could be a person of interest in the division if he's bulked up properly and wears it well. Skill wise I fancy him against a good portion of ranked fighters to be honest. If he wins and gets the Lewis/Oleinik winner for example, he could get fast tracked quite quickly. Weird division, champ is fighting #1 contender who is retiring win or lose, and #2 has 2 wins over #3. Then there's a clear gap. If Miocic wins (and he himself doesn't retire!) it's a simple next fight with Ngannou, but if DC takes it?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FB you're more educated on this but how well have LHW fighters transitioned to HW over the last 20 years in the UFC?

It seems like the guys I think of, which are only 2, came down from HW to LHW then back up. Couture and Cormier.

OSP just moved up, lost a SD to Big Ben of all people. That's recent though. I guess you could maybe throw Vitor in there, but I think the UFC had like 2 weight classes when he won UFC 12 right?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overeem's had a good heavyweight career after flaming out at 205. Amazing to think he ever made that weight. Oleinik has fought at light heavy too. Other than that, not much success, but nobody going up the level of Gus. Latifi lost a disputed decision to Black Beast recently so that I guess could be a measure of a top 10 fighter going up at this time, as HW kind of sucks. I love Lewis but him being borderline top 5 is comical.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overeem's had a good heavyweight career after flaming out at 205. Amazing to think he ever made that weight. Oleinik has fought at light heavy too. Other than that, not much success, but nobody going up the level of Gus. Latifi lost a disputed decision to Black Beast recently so that I guess could be a measure of a top 10 fighter going up at this time, as HW kind of sucks. I love Lewis but him being borderline top 5 is comical.
    Yeah I knew there were some guys like Overeem who fought at 205 in Pride or Bader for example who moved up in Bellator from 205 to HW. But in the UFC I couldn't think of anyone, and definitely couldn't think of anyone outside of Couture and Cormier who had any success...but again, these weren't guys who started at 205.

Yeah, Lewis being top 5 is what it is but hey, I remember Arlovski making his name fucking up Justin Eilers and Paul Buentello. Very hard to have a deep HW division in one promotion considering most guys that size are making 8 figures in the other sports.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the UFC 5-8 boxset with my son. This is like if the old days of wrestling were like ECW but everyone was no better than The Sandman lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who have we got tomorrow, then?

Fancying Whittaker to knock Till out. Bobby Knuckles might be the most underappreciated fighter in the sport's history to be honest. He's fucking ace, and either wins emphatically or has an absolute belter of a fight, sometimes both. His only slight is his inactivity since he broke through to elite level, but going toe to toe with Yoel Romero for 50 minutes and WINNING TWICE had a bit to do with that. He fought the first fight with a torn knee for the last few rounds and still won. A beast. Fought the wrong fight against Adesanya, but he'll learn from that and be back better than ever I think as he's still young. Till's an entertaining bloke and a very solid fighter, but I'm not seeing world class from him. He's really smart if he commits to a gameplan like against Wonderboy, but that low output style is dangerous as he's never putting his stamp on rounds. His two biggest wins are fights he could have lost on the scorecards just based on not doing a whole lot. Doubt Whittaker lets him get away with that, as he's a controlled pressure fighter with great hands. I think he'll draw the fighter out of Till and flatten him like Masvidal did, inside three rounds.

Shogun vs. Nogueira 3 could be anything as both are pretty much shot to shit defensively but can still crack and still too tough for their own good. So it could be a sloppy three round war or somebody's chin gets found and gets put out. Honestly could be either. Shogun's slightly quicker off the draw and finds cardio from somewhere late, so if it goes to points I expect him to win. I think it's a coin flip for the knockout though honestly, as both are spent physical forces but have enough power to put the other to sleep. Gonna go for the surprise and go with Nogueira inside a round.

Gustafsson wipes the floor with old Werdum at this point I think, as long as his speed isn't greatly diminished from putting on the added mass. I think he puts him away inside 2 in an impressive performance, but more questions will be asked of him against heavyweights even remotely close to their prime. Poor Werdum was embarrassing in his last fight, lost all of his athleticism, especially on the ground.

Esparza vs. Rodriguez is a nailed on 29-28, probably split, points win for either fighter. I'd go Esparza because she just finds a way to stay relevant. Either way, it won't be an exciting one I can't imagine, but at least it's a relevant fight in the division with the winner probably only 2 fights off a title shot.

Craig vs. Antigulov will be a mad one rounder I think. Both reckless as fuck on the feet and tight on the ground. Guessing somebody gets dropped in the pocket, probably Antigulov considering Craig hurt Shogun and Antigulov has been stopped by strikes in his last two fights. Should be exciting at least.

Cowboy Oliveira always brings it but has probably found his level at this point. That level is probably a step above Sobotta, who hardly ever fights. Going Cowboy on points in a back and forth affair.

Rounding out the seven fight(!) main card is that Chimaev that wrecked the shit Welsh bloke last week. He's fighting somebody from Northern Ireland this time, debutant on a week's notice, but with a decent enough resume, finished all of his wins and been champion of BAMMA in the UK. Chimaev looked an uber prospect in his debut but his opponent was a generic brawler, we'll see if that translates against somebody with a bit more about them. Have to go Chimaev inside the distance though, but the odds are fucking daft (-1200) considering the inexperience of both men at this level. It's not like it's guaranteed this guy is the new Khabib, maybe he can't take a smack?

8 fight preliminary card that they're trying to get through in 3 hours, so at least adverts should be at a minimum the whole night. Some decent scraps. Jai Herbert of the UK debuting against Trinaldo who is the ultimate gatekeeper at lightweight, Bethe Correira's on early, Nathaniel Wood still has an upside in the opener, Tanner Boser, Nicholas Dalby and Movsar Evloev could be ones to watch for eventual top 15 spots too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Werdum result shocked me, but should it have? For how well he performed in that title fight against Jones 7 years ago, Gustafsson has THREE victories since then. Donald Cerrone has won sixteen times in that time frame, and he himself hasn't won in a year. I don't know how to rate his career. At his best (Jones 1, Cormier, Glover) he was great, and his run to the initial title shot was excellent. But did he just over achieve in those title fights, mixed with the champions having an off night? Or has he under achieved in the rest of his disappointing career? Shame OD50 isn't around to give his insight!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Pretty solid technical main event win for Whittaker. Would like to have seen Till push forward a bit more, when he landed he did so pretty soundly, but also easier said than done when you've got a guy rocking back and forth in front of you like an uncoiled wrecking ball.

Gus, ffs.

And how about Khamzat? The Dagestan/Chechnya top-game is a serious fuckin problem.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Till felt Whittaker's power and decided to play the counter game after that. Could have gone either way the last 3 rounds, the stats supported Bobby but in terms of impactful strikes it was pretty much a dead heat each of those rounds. If you're scoring a fight as a whole though, Rob wins on the strength of round 2. Was interesting without being enthralling the whole way through. Two top quality mixed martial artists fighting smart. Can't all be Poirier vs. Hooker.

Khamzat has oodles of potential, and all the time in the world. Nobody in the top 20 risks that fight so he should get a few more building fights. I think the highest ranked guy who would take the fight might be a Belal Muhammad, which would be a good test. There's no real need to see him mill the Ben Saunders' of the division, but if they see fit to build him like that then fair enough. Haven't seen anybody look that dominant through 2 appearances in forever though.

There are some very impressive fighters on the upswing. Talent doesn't make a star, but Khamzat, Shahbazayan, O'Malley etc. could be huge in the coming years.

Out of interest to create some discussion, who is everybody's favourite prospect per division (not best necessarily)? I'd decipher that as anybody that hasn't had a main event yet. For me:

Flyweight: Moreno
    Bantamweight: O'Malley
    Featherweight: Allen
    Lightweight: Azaitar
    Welterweight: Neal
    Middleweight: Shahbazayan
    Light Heavyweight: Prochacza
    Heavyweight: Gane

Think 3 quarters of them work their way to a title shot, at least, with at least 2 becoming champion.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Looked like once Rob took to throwing his punches more north/south instead of trying to loop around Till's unique stance/striking-feinting game his will became imposed over Till's distance. Had it Till rd 1, Rob rd 2 rather big, Rob rd 3, Till by a hair rd 4, and Rob controlling rd 5 for the win.

Talk already of running Khamzat back on Aug 15 - 3 fights in one month. Don't think it'll come together, but my goodness the early hype of they do. He's asked specifically for Maia, which would be truly intriguing, but not likely.

Not sure the prospects list I'd have, have to look into that a bit.. but I'm damn sure looking forward to Shahbazayan next weekend as I've only seen his work in hindsight and it's hard not to be impressed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Werdum result shocked me, but should it have? For how well he performed in that title fight against Jones 7 years ago, Gustafsson has THREE victories since then. Donald Cerrone has won sixteen times in that time frame, and he himself hasn't won in a year. I don't know how to rate his career. At his best (Jones 1, Cormier, Glover) he was great, and his run to the initial title shot was excellent. But did he just over achieve in those title fights, mixed with the champions having an off night? Or has he under achieved in the rest of his disappointing career? Shame OD50 isn't around to give his insight!
    To be fair to Gus when comparing him to Cerrone of all people, he has been plagued with injuries and even "retired" at one point. It is crazy that he was a judge away from being LHW champ twice. Eh, you never know. He might come back next fight and smash someone. I think it was very very bold taking on Werdum. I get it, not exactly the guy who wrecked Cain and Big Nog but hey, Randy Couture managed to handle some young bucks pushing 50 so props to Werdum. Curious what he decides to do next. Retirement would be smart.

100% agree it sucks OD50 is not around but he's enjoying retirement

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The main issue with Gustafsson is that after the Glover fight he got married, bought a new house out in the country and got himself two kids and because of that Gus doesn't want to travel to the US (San Diego/Alliance MMA) to train anymore like he used to. He didn't train in the US for the Glover fight but Phil Davis and some Alliance guys came to Sweden to train with him. He didn't train with Davis/Alliance for the Jones 2/Smith and Werdum fights and it showed, right? According to his head coach he has tried to get Gus to do his training camps in the US because he just can't get good enough training (specifically sparring) here in Sweden, but Gustafsson doesn't want to leave his wife and kids for those 6, 8, 10 or whatever weeks it would be. Ilir Latifi is probably the only one near Gus size and skill-level for him to spar at Allstars and you just can improve so much sparring the same guy every day for ten years, imagine if he moved to say Denver/Team Elevation and had to spar Overeem and Blaydes on a daily basis instead.

Take care guys.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Interestingly enough I believe the Allstars gym in Sweden with Gus is where Khamzat trains at for now. Something to keep an eye on.

Also Dana on CNN this morning announcing Khabib vs Gaethje for UFC 255 on Oct 24. Fuckin cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear from the legend. Interesting to read about Gustafsson's slope, and crazy to think he didn't put in the 10 weeks for Jones 2 to maximize the chance of becoming the champion of the world. I get the drop off after failing to win that fight, it's hard to commit to leaving the family for a fight against Anthony Smith when it'd take years to get back to a title fight against Jones, but to not sacrifice the time for that fight I don't understand. But fair play to him, and hopefully the memories created with his family were worth not committing to the final piece of the career puzzle on the final stretch.

Love that the Khabib vs. Gaethje fight isn't delayed by too much, only a month behind schedule and that just brought Adesanya vs. Costa forward anyway. major fights were slow out of the gate (the first card back was awesome, but Ferguson vs. Gaethje for an interim title is hardly a huge prestige fight), but this monthly run of Usman vs. Masvidal, Miocic vs. Cormier 3, Adesanya vs. Costa and Khabib vs. Gaethje is mega. No real need to stack those cards with title fights, so there will inevitably be a couple of double/triple headers in November/December now too. Figueiredo, Yan, Volkanovski, Usman, Zhang and Shevchenko, as well as an interim title fight at 205, can do with stacked cards as they build their names up with the casual fan. Usman vs. Burns, Figgy Smalls vs. Moreno and Reyes vs. Polish Power one month, Volkanovski vs. Zombie, Zabit or Yair, Yan vs. Sterling and Zhang vs. Namajunas the next. Shevchenko defence on the Khabib card.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    His second kid was born just two months before Jones 2, so I guess that's why he didn't want to go to the US at that time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fair enough, hard to leave a pregnant partner for that period of time. Shame the timeline didn't align so that he could've taken the fight later and made a real go of it, but he's been so inactive throughout his career through niggling injuries that a World title fight with his career rival coming off an equally long stretch of time off would have been considered worth the risk. I'm sure he physically felt capable of winning that and subsequent fights, he just didn't have the sharpness.

Does he fight again, do you think? I don't think the door's necessarily closed on him being elite if he gets the itch to give it a proper try, but given that information I can't see him taking himself away from his family for 3 months to train for a Marcin Tybura or Nikita Krylov.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Definitely think he will fight again, and apparently (according to Gustafssons head coach) the plan was to train in the US for the Werdum fight but the Covid-19 thing fucked up those plans.

There was an interview this past sunday with Gus' head coach at SVT.se.

https://www.svt.se/sport/mma/maulers-tranare

Some key points:

- "Alex will be back, he's not done just because people talk shit on the internet."

- "I've said it a hundred times, he really needs to train in the US because the sparring is on such a high level over there, this time (Werdum) we had planned to go to the US but corona messed that up. At first Alex wasn't too keen on going because he has a family with two kids now, it's not easy being away from your kids but I truly believe his focus would be much better over there."

- (reporter): "When do you think he will fight again?"

- "He doesn't have any injuries and he's feeling fine, I think he's really motivated to fight again. Let's see if there will be more Fight Island events or if we have to fix a new visa for the US."

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    The main issue with Gustafsson is that after the Glover fight he got married, bought a new house out in the country and got himself two kids and because of that Gus doesn't want to travel to the US (San Diego/Alliance MMA) to train anymore like he used to. He didn't train in the US for the Glover fight but Phil Davis and some Alliance guys came to Sweden to train with him. He didn't train with Davis/Alliance for the Jones 2/Smith and Werdum fights and it showed, right? According to his head coach he has tried to get Gus to do his training camps in the US because he just can't get good enough training (specifically sparring) here in Sweden, but Gustafsson doesn't want to leave his wife and kids for those 6, 8, 10 or whatever weeks it would be. Ilir Latifi is probably the only one near Gus size and skill-level for him to spar at Allstars and you just can improve so much sparring the same guy every day for ten years, imagine if he moved to say Denver/Team Elevation and had to spar Overeem and Blaydes on a daily basis instead.

Take care guys.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Hopefully this is a welcome back and not a one night stand lol.

It definitely takes a certain level of commitment and kids can definitely change your mentality. Especially if he's not motivated financially.

I'll be honest, I think Gus is just a guy who like a Clay Guida or Nate Diaz where they can get to the top, they just can't get the job done. Bisping, same way, who knows, Gus might be 38 and win a title finally!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Definitely think he will fight again, and apparently (according to Gustafssons head coach) the plan was to train in the US for the Werdum fight but the Covid-19 thing fucked up those plans.

There was an interview this past sunday with Gus' head coach at SVT.se.

https://www.svt.se/sport/mma/maulers-tranare

Some key points:

- "Alex will be back, he's not done just because people talk shit on the internet."

- "I've said it a hundred times, he really needs to train in the US because the sparring is on such a high level over there, this time (Werdum) we had planned to go to the US but corona messed that up. At first Alex wasn't too keen on going because he has a family with two kids now, it's not easy being away from your kids but I truly believe his focus would be much better over there."

- (reporter): "When do you think he will fight again?"

- "He doesn't have any injuries and he's feeling fine, I think he's really motivated to fight again. Let's see if there will be more Fight Island events or if we have to fix a new visa for the US."
    I don't think sparring would have mattered against Werdum. Like I said earlier, it was a ballsy fight to take. Felt like it was made with the idea that if Gus beats Werdum, easily a legend, easily top 5-10 HW in the UFC, then Gus would immediately be in talks with a contender fight next. Problem is, he fought hands down the best HW submission fighter of all time. It's like when Maia choked out Carlos Condit in like 2 minutes. Scary dude.

I think Gus should come back and fight someone like Derrick Lewis. No skill, no stamina, just hands and he's a name. I don't know, maybe Gus takes a top 20 guy which is more up his alley because as we talked about, it's almost impossible to think of a fighter who started out at 205 in the UFC and made a single drop of noise at HW. It's either dudes that started at HW like Couture or Cormier, or guys like Overeem who were LHW in Pride, juiced up to 260 and found great success.

Gus imo could be that guy to break the mold. Just depends on how dedicated he is and how healthy he can stay.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White spoke on Miocic/Cormier 3 and that the winner would be the GOAT HW fighter in MMA of all time.

You would be amazed at how many fans A-forgot Cormier was in Strikeforce and B-started out in the UFC as a HW. I read many comments asking why when Cormier only had 3 fights at HW.....the 2 Stipe fights and the Derrick Lewis fight.

I don't think Dana meant just the UFC. To be honest, I personally consider Cormier the best HW of the modern era. The 90's I'm not sure who you'd put as the best HW fighter in MMA, I'd be just throwing out names like Mark Coleman. But obviously you'd have to say Fedor for the first 7-8 years and then, again just my opinion, Cormier. The guy has only lost once and let's not even talk about the fact he's only lost to 2 fighters in his entire MMA career.

Personally, I don't know if Stipe would be considered the GOAT of all time. Or even the modern era. But he's definitely on an extremely short list.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd still give it Fedor, then Werdum, then the winner of this fight. I think both Cormier and Miocic would have beaten either prime vs prime, but their resumes are ridiculous. Fedor's run up to the Werdum loss was mad. Prime Nogueira and Cro Cop are the two best wins in divisional history. Werdum's top wins being Fedor and Cain are just behind but there's the feeling both were slightly on the fade, and he lacked consistency. But thrown in all his other wins and he belongs. Cormier's wins over Barnett and Miocic is up there but it was quite a short run at the big time - Bigfoot, Barnett, Mir and Nelson were great wins but the numbers aren't there. Miocic has the best numbers but lost twice in his prime. I do think it's the biggest heavyweight fight in history as Werdum wasn't close to being GOAT when he beat Fedor, Miocic wasn't close when he beat Werdum, but both these guys are in the conversation going into this fight.

Thinking of it, I'd nudge towards Stipe deserving the top spot with a win.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; July 29th, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd still give it Fedor, then Werdum, then the winner of this fight. I think both Cormier and Miocic would have beaten either prime vs prime, but their resumes are ridiculous. Fedor's run up to the Werdum loss was mad. Prime Nogueira and Cro Cop are the two best wins in divisional history. Werdum's top wins being Fedor and Cain are just behind but there's the feeling both were slightly on the fade, and he lacked consistency. But thrown in all his other wins and he belongs. Cormier's wins over Barnett and Miocic is up there but it was quite a short run at the big time - Bigfoot, Barnett, Mir and Nelson were great wins but the numbers aren't there. Miocic has the best numbers but lost twice in his prime. I do think it's the biggest heavyweight fight in history as Werdum wasn't close to being GOAT when he beat Fedor, Miocic wasn't close when he beat Werdum, but both these guys are in the conversation going into this fight.

Thinking of it, I'd nudge towards Stipe deserving the top spot with a win.
    Werdum's losses take him out of the conversation for me. Did he do enough to redeem those losses, I don't think so. Fedor did enough prior to losing to Werdum to solidify his status as the best HW on the planet, but I don't know if ALL TIME status will truly be a title he can carry considering the losses he took. If we start going "Oh well his prime is all that counts" then what about those fighters who get to GOAT status because of what they did from start to finish?

Cormier is not a young man and was kind of an old man when he came in to the sport in comparison to his peers. I think if Cormier wins, and calls it a day, he could very well make a huge argument for being the best HW fighter of all time. Obviously this all completely subjective and simply used to keep the fire burning in these conversations. What holds Cormier back is simple....Lack of title defenses. I have no doubt had he stayed at HW he would be without question the greatest HW of all time. But his friendship with Cain caused him to drop and by doing so can make an argument of being possibly the greatest MMA fighter period.

You know what blows me away? We never got to see Cormier v. Arlovski or JDS. We would have if he stayed a HW, but those are 2 fights that I think we needed to see. Cormier v. Ngannou would be something more recent I would've enjoyed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The irritating thing about Cormier dropping to 205 is how inactive Velasquez was after. Cormier has had as many fights at heavyweight since Cormier's last fight at HW the first time, and DC took a 4 year, 9 fight detour! If Cain hangs the gloves up then, we'd have got him in his prime against a prime Werdum. Werdum's teeps, jab and submissions off his back may have troubled the DC of 2014, but other than that he deals with everyone I think. He had bangers at 205, which makes him an all timer pound for pound, but his absence hurts his heavyweight ranking. Unless he avenges his only HW defeat in his retirement fight. It's a big one.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't think that you can look past Fedor. Heavyweight is a shark tank of people who can knock you out at any second. Those are big heavy guys who don't need to be that skilled to be able to win. I think that wins in prime count more than losses out of prime because that is the one division that as soon as you slow down or your chin goes, you can start taking losses, but similarly you can fight in for the longest because the power is the last thing to go.

Fedor did fight plenty of cans, but the fact that he went undefeated for so long is totally unparalleled at heavyweight and it was not like the division was as weak then as it has been since. Those prime victories over, Big Nog (x2), Cro Cop, Coleman, Randleman, Hunt, Slyvia and Arlovski...and that was in the midst of a 31 fight heavyweight winning streak which had at least 5 other decent names within it along with some of the fodder (Herring, Fujita, Semmy Schilt, Arona, Lindland, Rodgers...at that point unbeaten coming off a 22 second smashing of Arlovski).

I think prime for prime Cormier and Miocic would've beaten him, but you've got to put the body of work into account. He's way past his prime now, but still just adding half decent names to his resume. If Cormier had fought at heavyweight his whole career I don't doubt that he probably would've surpassed Fedor. But he might have also taken some hits that would've damaged his longevity and put him on the slide. The fact that Fedor didn't do that for SO long against some top competition is remarable.

Werdum has great wins (Gonzaga, Overeem, Fedor, Nelson, Big Nog, Hunt, Browne, Cain), but he also has losses scattered throughout his career and some bad ones too.

Overeem suffers from the same problem. Stipe less so, but getting knocked out in devastating fashion twice and losing a decision once in prime takes a knock and I don't think that he's got long enough left to build back up from that, especially if he loses to Cormier in the rematch. He'd need at least another 3 defences against top contenders I'd say. The important thing with Stipe though is that he's beaten more of the recent top guys than any of the others. If he stamps that home with Cormier he might only need one more to take the heavyweight GOAT title.

If Cormier wins he might be the greatest fighter of all time P4P. The average height in that division is 6 foot 4 5 inches taller than Cormier. He's the smallest guy in the entire of the top 15, nobody of which is under 6ft. The average reach is around 8 inches longer than him. Get this, he would be at a height and reach disadvantage to most of the WELTERWEIGHT top 15, that's crazy! He'd fit more or less the middle of the pack at lightweight, that's 5 divisions down from where he is fight.

I honestly think that Francis might well be primed to take over shortly after Miocic or Cormier have left off. Nobody else has won so many in such absolutely dominant and spectacular fashion and fortunately for him his two losses aren't devastating knockouts. He's also young enough and has not accumulated enough damage that you could easily see him dispatching a handful of challengers in a couple of years and then taking over the mantle. Just needs to have shorn up his wrestling.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Francis is in a tidy position too providing Lewis beats Oleinik and Miocic beats Cormier, as the likelihood would be he'd get to avenge both career losses back to back,while both opponents are showing fine form. Would be like Lennox Lewis at that point. Cormier walking out on top going 2-1 against the only man in the division to best him would be huge considering his success at light heavyweight, and I'd agree with the GOAT assessment. Not in terms of talent (GSP for me), but beating 3 top 20 all time light heavyweights (Hendo, Gustafsson, Rumble) and 1 of the top 3 heavyweights of all time in Miocic, as well as top 20 guys in Barnett and Mir, would be hard to argue with. Particularly with Jones being the only unavenged blemishes and the controversy surrounding that. Shame he didn't get to fight Rashad instead of Cummings that time, would have further cemented it given Evans hadn't slid at that point.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me I think GSP is the absolute best ever. Hits all the criteria, including the fighting outside of your weight class and it wasn't like he went down he went up after 3 years off and finished the champ. Cormier is right up there though for sure in terms of p4p.

What about Anderson? Does he wind up on any list other than maybe GOAT Middleweight fighter of all time? Would you put him on a p4p list considering he went up and smashed the former 205 champ with virtual ease? Do his losses both in Pride and later in his UFC career keep him off the list or are they forgiven?

Division specific is a little easier to argue a "greats of all time" list. Overall makes it more difficult.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson is top 5. I don't think you can have him the best when he had a pretty glaring weakness in his defensive wrestling, and was fortunate middleweight wasn't rife with great MMA wrestlers. I think you put 15lbs on Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Matt Hughes, not to mention GSP, and he doesn't have that long reign I don't think. Not to say he wouldn't have been favourite against 3 of those 4, but they'd have beaten him 3 or maybe 4 times out of 10 back then. Whereas brawlers (Cote, Griffin, Bonnar, Irvin) and guys with good top position but not overly good wrestling (Maia, Lutter, Marquardt, Okami) were made to order. That run that GSP had was magic, he just negated everybody's strengths. If you were great on the feet he'd run a wrestling clinic, if you were great on the ground or had great wrestling he'd jab you to death. Extraordinary talent. The Bisping result was spectacular not just coming off 4 years out, but truthfully 6 years past his prime. The Condit, Diaz and Hendricks wins were GSP willing through the loss of athleticism caused by the ACL tear.

I do think he was smart not to fight Silva though. He was a 170lb fighter. It showed in the Bisping fight, wasn't as mobile and admitted he was slowing down. Think the likely result there would have been him banking 3 rounds but getting cut up from elbows then Anderson eventually getting to him. Who knows though, maybe 2010 GSP adds the muscle in a more functional manner and the tiring was due to cage rust?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Zabit vs Yair set for Aug 29

Finally..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson is top 5. I don't think you can have him the best when he had a pretty glaring weakness in his defensive wrestling, and was fortunate middleweight wasn't rife with great MMA wrestlers. I think you put 15lbs on Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Matt Hughes, not to mention GSP, and he doesn't have that long reign I don't think. Not to say he wouldn't have been favourite against 3 of those 4, but they'd have beaten him 3 or maybe 4 times out of 10 back then. Whereas brawlers (Cote, Griffin, Bonnar, Irvin) and guys with good top position but not overly good wrestling (Maia, Lutter, Marquardt, Okami) were made to order. That run that GSP had was magic, he just negated everybody's strengths. If you were great on the feet he'd run a wrestling clinic, if you were great on the ground or had great wrestling he'd jab you to death. Extraordinary talent. The Bisping result was spectacular not just coming off 4 years out, but truthfully 6 years past his prime. The Condit, Diaz and Hendricks wins were GSP willing through the loss of athleticism caused by the ACL tear.

I do think he was smart not to fight Silva though. He was a 170lb fighter. It showed in the Bisping fight, wasn't as mobile and admitted he was slowing down. Think the likely result there would have been him banking 3 rounds but getting cut up from elbows then Anderson eventually getting to him. Who knows though, maybe 2010 GSP adds the muscle in a more functional manner and the tiring was due to cage rust?
    I think even GSP suffers from cage rust. Yeah he probably wasn't as fast putting on the muscle and weight but apparently he gained power lol.

Anderson was great off his back though. I don't think Hughes, Fitch or Kos would have been able to handle his ground game especially Hughes. Anderson was on a different planet like Jon Jones compared to not just everyone in the division but the company.

GSP would also beat you at your own game. Good on the feet? GSP will show you he wasn't a wrestler when he jumped in to this game. Great wrestler? Watch GSP show you his control. I think at times he wanted to prove he was just as good as his opponent whether they were a wrestler, kickboxer, BJJ fighter, etc.

One fight I wish we would have seen with GSP was Damian Maia. I don't think he was fighting at 170 when GSP was still champ though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so sure Silva would have done much offensively against GSP as a submission threat, but he'd have kept him honest with strikes. GSP wore damage throughout his career. I don't think he'd be locking up a triangle. Likelihood would be St Pierre focusing on passing the guard to limit the strikes. That would be the fight, whether he could pass. BJ had a chance against him until GSP started passing. Damn shame it never happened. Heard a rumour Silva might fight Till next which is just stupid - give him a Tim Boetsch!

Maia was nearing a title shot just before GSP retired. Lost to Jake Shields around the time of GSP vs. Hendricks. I think GSP would have fought him like he himself fought Shields, jab, distance.

Like the main event tomorrow night. By my math Edmen has until next July to beat Jones record, so if he looks lights out I've no doubt they try and get him into a title fight next International Fight Week. It's likely Whittaker vs. Cannonier for the shot after Costa, so Edmen, Hermansson, Hall/Romero winner and Akhmedov/Weidman winner tournament? Has to get past Brunson first.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Anthony Pettis is pushing for a middleweight fight with Anderson Silva. I'll be honest, I kind of love it. It's one of those fights where each man's glaring strength over the other counter acts to make a fairly competitive fight on paper. Pettis is much faster and has a legitimate one punch knockout over a great welterweight in Wonderboy, but Anderson would serve to have a big size advantage in every conceivable metric. Just run it, I say. You're not getting any more juice out of them individually in relevant contests, but combine them in one fight and you've got a compelling affair. Maybe if Pettis was coming off a loss it would be more likely, but it's not like he's in the form of his life. Plus, he'd be the first man to win in four weight classes, so that would be history. Anderson himself would add a lightweight champion to his resume, meaning he'd have beaten UFC champions from 4 different weight classes. A good freak fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Anthony Pettis is pushing for a middleweight fight with Anderson Silva. I'll be honest, I kind of love it. It's one of those fights where each man's glaring strength over the other counter acts to make a fairly competitive fight on paper. Pettis is much faster and has a legitimate one punch knockout over a great welterweight in Wonderboy, but Anderson would serve to have a big size advantage in every conceivable metric. Just run it, I say. You're not getting any more juice out of them individually in relevant contests, but combine them in one fight and you've got a compelling affair. Maybe if Pettis was coming off a loss it would be more likely, but it's not like he's in the form of his life. Plus, he'd be the first man to win in four weight classes, so that would be history. Anderson himself would add a lightweight champion to his resume, meaning he'd have beaten UFC champions from 4 different weight classes. A good freak fight.
    I remember these 2 started talking about fighting the second Dana shot down Conor and Anderson wanting to fight each other. To me it feels like a master v. student fight. Pettis definitely reminds me a lot of Anderson in his creativity and approach to the sport and martial arts. It's a fight that makes me think of Wanderlai v. Cro Cop or BJ Penn v. Lyoto Machida. Or even BJ v. Nick Diaz considering Nick's fought at 185 and BJ fought as low as 145 in his career. But Nick never fought at 205 destroying the previous champ in under 2 minutes with the equivalent of Stockton Slaps.

I want to see it. More than I want to see Ronda Rousey's tackling dummy get the Sage Northcutt push that's for damn sure.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a little harsh on Edmen, Brad Tavares was a legit win and he was fighting only slightly above that level, but he got found. A lot of improvements to his cardio, grappling and mental game needed but he's young enough to do it. Happy for Brunson who seems a decent enough chap and has put together another solid win streak.

I do love how guys fighting up in weight throws up some excellent MMA math equations. I think everybody would pick Henry Cejudo to beat Raphael Assuncao (beat Moraes and Dillashaw, who beat Cruz), yet Cejudo beating Jorge Masvidal sounds ridiculous. Assuncao did it though. This would be like skipping the middle man, would be great. All Anderson's contemporaries at 185 and 205 have moved on so dream fights at his weight classes (Rashad, Rampage, Liddell, Wanderlei) are off the table. Would like Anderson and Shogun, that would be a good time.

Weidman back this weekend, finally taking an easier fight albeit still top 15. Let's see if he has anything left.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Weidman loses this one it will be time for him to retire.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a little harsh on Edmen, Brad Tavares was a legit win and he was fighting only slightly above that level, but he got found. A lot of improvements to his cardio, grappling and mental game needed but he's young enough to do it. Happy for Brunson who seems a decent enough chap and has put together another solid win streak.

I do love how guys fighting up in weight throws up some excellent MMA math equations. I think everybody would pick Henry Cejudo to beat Raphael Assuncao (beat Moraes and Dillashaw, who beat Cruz), yet Cejudo beating Jorge Masvidal sounds ridiculous. Assuncao did it though. This would be like skipping the middle man, would be great. All Anderson's contemporaries at 185 and 205 have moved on so dream fights at his weight classes (Rashad, Rampage, Liddell, Wanderlei) are off the table. Would like Anderson and Shogun, that would be a good time.

Weidman back this weekend, finally taking an easier fight albeit still top 15. Let's see if he has anything left.
    Eh, I don't think it's harsh to slightly negative toward fighters that are being ridiculously promoted in comparison to their opponent. We never heard shit about Brunson, never really have in all the years he's been in the sport. But how many videos were the UFC sharing of this kid getting tossed around by Ronda? I counted at least 12 in the last week. Brunson got a 20 second interview clip. Yeah he beat Brad Tavares, a great gatekeeper for the guys ranked in that 15-30 spot but ranking this dude in the top 10 already based on what? Eh. I'm negative today lol.

Yeah Assuncao beat Masvidal 15 years ago at Lightweight. I wouldn't mind seeing Cejudo's bitch ass fight Masvidal. The kid is spending too much time wanting to fight women I think a 3 piece soda combo would suit him well. If we could replace Tupac, Biggie Smalls, and Eazy-E with Cejudo, Colby, and that one dork who fights in Bellator who's tight with Conor, Dillon Danis? Yeah that'd be pretty sweet.

I agree about the superfights we've basically missed out on. Anderson v. any of those names would have been fucking incredible. Anderson v. Liddell? Dear God that would have been great. You know what's crazy....The other night I was watching UFC 36 and it was Matt Hughes v. Mach Sakurai. After Hughes won they showed the top 3-4 contenders and ANDERSON SILVA was one of them. This is 2002 we're talking about. I do know that at one point there were talks about Anderson coming in and fighting Matt Hughes, I just didn't realize it was back in 2002 but it makes sense. Silva was fighting around 170-180 in Pride.

Weidman....Like Mik says, I think he loses he's done. What I see happening is Weidman will go the distance and lose a close decision making him think he still has it he just needs that one more win! I get the UFC don't like cutting certain fighters but he might be one that should be let go. If he wants to go elsewhere so be it but it's time the UFC started cleaning house and these fighters who go on 4-5+ fight losing streaks are not doing themselves or the divisions any favors. Like BJ Penn....How was he allowed to even get a fight after his 6th straight loss?? Dude is a legend but the last 5 yeas have almost killed his legacy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His record sucks over his last 6 fights, but all of the guys he's fought are a tier above Akhmedov. Rockhold was excellent at that point. Romero is a couple of bursts away from being unbeaten in the UFC, such is his low output style. Mousasi has a losing record against 2 people in his last 39 fights. Gastelum is getting shown up a bit now but is still a clear top 10 guy and Chris beat him. Jacare has lost clearly twice in his last 17. Reyes arguably beat Jones and is undefeated otherwise, with his win against Cannonier more impressive by the day. So he's not fought scrubs, he's only been blown out once, and been in every middleweight fight he's ever had until the gas starts to drain. So it feels to me that there's still something there to be found, but whether the punishment taken through that run will turn him into BJ Penn or someone like Alistair Overeem remains to be seen.

I like the main event too. Lewis vs. Oleinik is one of them fights with two big, sloppy, endearing heavyweights that it can't help but be fun. It's far too relevant given their skillsets and we're in 2020, but it is what it is. Would love to see Beast get another title shot. Beneil Dariush is fighting as well, big fan of him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His record sucks over his last 6 fights, but all of the guys he's fought are a tier above Akhmedov. Rockhold was excellent at that point. Romero is a couple of bursts away from being unbeaten in the UFC, such is his low output style. Mousasi has a losing record against 2 people in his last 39 fights. Gastelum is getting shown up a bit now but is still a clear top 10 guy and Chris beat him. Jacare has lost clearly twice in his last 17. Reyes arguably beat Jones and is undefeated otherwise, with his win against Cannonier more impressive by the day. So he's not fought scrubs, he's only been blown out once, and been in every middleweight fight he's ever had until the gas starts to drain. So it feels to me that there's still something there to be found, but whether the punishment taken through that run will turn him into BJ Penn or someone like Alistair Overeem remains to be seen.

I like the main event too. Lewis vs. Oleinik is one of them fights with two big, sloppy, endearing heavyweights that it can't help but be fun. It's far too relevant given their skillsets and we're in 2020, but it is what it is. Would love to see Beast get another title shot. Beneil Dariush is fighting as well, big fan of him.
    I'm digging the main event. Oleinik, never heard of him until he choked out Cro Cop awhile back. I didn't realize the dude was 43 holy fuck he's been fighting since 1996. That's a little misleading because he only fought a handful of times and didn't take his career serious until around 2004 judging by his record but still. That's some Vitor shit.

It's the classic striker v grappler. Lewis has basically zero submissions and while Oleinik does have quite a few TKO victories....I don't see him beating Lewis that way. Lewis is like a modern era Tank Abbott, or if Kimbo had a better chin/gas tank. I'm rooting for Beast but I think Oleinik is going to take this one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oleinik has one of those weird and wonderful records with all of those one night tournaments thrown in, was even part of that YAMMA pit fighting thing that lasted I think just the one show. First fighter to score a victory in 4 decades, matched by The Reem later on. So varied with the submissions too, multiple variants of pretty much any submission you like. Got his own finishing move in the Eziekel Choke. Fun to see his run. I can see any form of madness, from Beast blowing him out early, outlasting him late or falling into a variety of submissions anywhere in between.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Zabit vs Yair set for Aug 29

Finally..
    Or not..

Again..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, gutted about that. Think they should just match Zabit with Volkanovski at this point? I'd prefer to see him in a five rounder first though. Heard Kattar's name floated but don't love it, deserves a full camp for it after two tough fights since the restart, and if he lost he'd be 0-2 against Zabit. For me I'd shuffle the deck and match Zabit with Ortega, Yair eventually with Kattar and Max with Zombie. Zabit gets a shot with a win, if not maybe pull the Zombie from the Max fight and just put him in for the title.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Wouldn't want to hit the breaks too hard on the loser of Max/Zabit if they were matched up as you'd prefer to keep them in good standing, which pretty much leaves Holloway matched with either KZ or a rubber match with Volk, and I don't think anyone's terribly hyped for that. Maybe he (Max) sits out a minute and takes on a returning Yair in a bit of a showcase, albeit a dangerous one. If it's Max/KZ then that pretty much just leaves Ortega/Zabit, which is a terrific matchup on paper, with loads of title implications. If you roll Max/Yair then maybe Zabit/KZ meanwhile Ortega matches up with a Kattar or Emmett, though I doubt that would excite team T-City.

Idk, that division is kinda a mess.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there's talent but a large level of inactivity. Ortega, Rodriguez and Zombie have all been largely inactive, and Zabit himself hasn't fought since November after initially maintaining a steady schedule. They all just need to fight each other, honestly. Never mind the permutations, just match them up when the timeline fits.

Jim Miller's taken another fight on short notice next weekend, against Vinc Pinchel. Going to regain his record for most UFC bouts off Cowboy, and he's chasing down records in most wins (2 behind Cowboy), finishes (4 behind Cowboy and Oliveira) and Fight of the Nights (1 behind Nate Diaz). I think finishes will be an insurmountable target, but I think he can possibly at least tie with wins and FOTN's by the time he's done. What a pro. Will never reach top 10 again but if you turn up and you're not tuned in against him he's taking an arm or neck.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Beast pulled it off again. Didn't look good when he was on the bottom but he's deceptively good at defending on the ground. Survived on the ground against Gonzaga, Nelson and now Oleinik. Power to drop a horse. Makes you hopeful he can somehow outlast Curtis Blaydes if they match them up.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is Cejudo retired or just a professional twitter troll now? This guy could've been a legend but his mouth is going to make people forget he ever existed. The smaller fighters don't get much love anyway but at least in the MMA world the diehards show appreciation. This is a guy we should all be fans of but yeah, just not happening.

Thoughts on Colby Trump v. Woodley? I don't care for either fighter but for the sake of humanity, T-Wood needs to find a way to win. It could be that boring style he passed down to Usman or those brutal hands that took out Lawler and Koscheck with ease. We can't have people like Colby and Mike Perry in this sport let alone the biggest company in sport with the biggest platform.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Cejudo comes back when there's crowds so he can renegotiate his contract. Think he saw low buy rates and no crowds and knew he had no leg to stand on, but with a strong champion (or if O'Malley comes good and wins it) and an audience starved of live fights next year leading to inflated ticket prices, he has a shout at getting paid. If this is it though, what a weird career to rank. Best 4 fight stretch in history possibly, but not much depth past that. Like he was a great fighter, but you can't rank him ahead of somebody like Shogun or Hendo, never mind the absolute top tier greats. Honestly, probably put him in the third tier, if you're doing the 5-10-20-40 pyramid of MMA greats. Lower end possibly too. But probably 2 good wins away from the second tier. He'd be in there with the Penn's, Edgar's and Velasquez's.

Would love to see Tyron win. Going to be an intolerable build with how politically volatile the world is now, Colby's going to go for all the lowest common denominator bollocks and there's no place for that act in sports.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this posted on Facebook and thought it was kind of funny but disturbing.

Seriously??? 100 times someone has came out to Eminem and lost a fight.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Here's the spreadsheet, though it's a couple shows old here and not quite to the 100th loss..

Eminem curse

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fairly sure Robbie Lawler changed from Beautiful to Sam and Dave in his title win as well! I guess Tito losing sent the Eminem users into a tailspin.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Props to Stipe. My son called it, decision with not a shit ton of action. It wasn't as uneventual as Sylvia-Arlovski 3.

The rest of the card was pretty good minus the super fucking sad Dos Santos loss. I have to agree w/ everyone that says he lost many years of his prime in those 2 Cain V rematches. Just hard to maintain dominance at HW and if you can, that's why you get the big props.

Looks like Stipe v. Ngannou 2 is next. I'm not interested in Jones v. Stipe at the moment simply because Ngannou deserves the rematch. He was young in his career, shit he's still young, but Stipe can barely put together a sentence I don't know how much longer his brain can handle this shit. I'll be honest, I want to see Stipe v. Jones because you have without argument the 2 best fighters in UFC history in their division. Maybe in the history of MMA depending on how you gauge greatness.

But there's something sinister about Jones v. Ngannou.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones has vacated the UFC LHW championship. Sounds like they couldn't come to terms on a new contract. He said on Twitter if/when he comes back he would like to do so as a Heavyweight.

Looks like Reyes v. Jan is the likely candidate for the next title fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that as a money play by Jones. He knows his asking price and his value aren't in sync at the moment considering no live gate and the light heavyweights aren't drawa. I can see him waiting for somebody to win it then he'll make a comeback with the sell of the returning champion trying to regain the title he never lost, in front of a packed Barclays Centre (COVID permitting) in March or April. Can't see the heavyweight move after his last two performances.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Who should Rumble return against?

Oezdemir?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight into the mix most likely so Oezdemir, or the Reyes/Jan loser, sounds about right.

Hoping Michael Chandler takes a chance and joins the UFC. Deserves the biggest stage for the twilight of his career. A lot of miles on the clock of the top 5 so could make a splash.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; August 18th, 2020 at 2:52 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Is it just me or does the LHW mix take on an oddly interesting flavor by swapping Rumble in for Jones?

Much more wide open and competitive and I'm compelled more to take note of the top of the order.

Reyes
    Jan
    Santos
    Jiri
    Smith
    Rumble

I kinda like it atm..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jones is comfortably less exciting than any of those guys to watch fight. There's going to be some bangers over the next year or so. But on the flip side, watching Jones with the intrigue of him finally getting beat will be a hard build to replace.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jones is comfortably less exciting than any of those guys to watch fight. There's going to be some bangers over the next year or so. But on the flip side, watching Jones with the intrigue of him finally getting beat will be a hard build to replace.
    Is it safe to say, based on his last 2-3 fights, that he's entering GSP-status? He's so much better than everyone that he starts to coast, other fighters make him look somewhat human but still can't beat him. GSP fights after the Penn rematch really became more about who could beat him than "let's see GSP kick this guy's ass". I will say Jones is a more exciting fighter than GSP was in his last 3 WW fights but the fights haven't been awesome like Jones v. Cormier.

Maybe that's what is lacking in Jones' fighting career, a true test. Look at GSP. He took 3 years off, and choked out the MW champion. So imagine Jones coming back as a HW....if that isn't someone looking to test themselves I don't know what is. Especially with the killers hovering in the top 10. Jones v. anyone in the top 10 is not only a dangerous fight but a serious draw. Imagine Jon Jones v. Junior Dos Santos. That would sell 500-600,000 ppvs easily. Just the idea of Jones fighting at HW sells and draws all the MMA fans to watch imo.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with Jones at heavyweight is that with what, 12 titles, it's hard to imagine a PPV card without a title fight, and Jones won't play second fiddle. So it kind of has to be an immediate title fight really. For me that's short sighted, as a Jones vs. JDS or Black Beast on top with, say, Yan vs. Sterling as co-main, would do more for bantamweight than headlining a PPV.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with Jones at heavyweight is that with what, 12 titles, it's hard to imagine a PPV card without a title fight, and Jones won't play second fiddle. So it kind of has to be an immediate title fight really. For me that's short sighted, as a Jones vs. JDS or Black Beast on top with, say, Yan vs. Sterling as co-main, would do more for bantamweight than headlining a PPV.
    I sort of disagree. I feel like you don't need a ppv card headlined by Jon Jones' debut at HW to be a title fight. The intrigued is already there. "Jon Jones moving up to HW? I gotta see this!" If it's for a title shot, and not until maybe Feb-March of 2021....I think we're going to get a lot of people shitting on it considering most people who watch MMA are well versed in Jon Jones' special treatment by the UFC and apparently law enforcement.

With that said, it'd be huge either way but I definitely disagree that non-title fights can't headline shows, regardless if they're "PPV" or just a Wednesday night event. I will say this, if he's co-main to the HW title fight, I could see that. I don't know if we'll see his ass fighting by the end of the year when they hopefully do Stipe v. Ngannou but we'll see.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson Silva v. Uriah Hall Oct 31st.

RIP Silva. I wish they were able to put together the Pettis or McGregor fights. If this Hall fight happened 5 years ago or whenever this dude was coming off TUF, sure, but Hall's mystique is gone and Silva has barely won a single fight since pre-Weidman.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point about the Jones fight is that they just don't put non-title fights as headliners over title fights. Look at UFC 200, Lesnar/Hunt and Cormier/Silva were bigger fights when Jones fell off, but Tate/Nunes was for an undisputed title so that was that. For me the main event is the most anticipated fight so if Jones were to come back non title against a Lewis or Reem, it would main event over anybody other than Khabib and Stipe/Ngannou. But I'm not sure UFC would change how they operate.

Anybody actually fancy Frankie Edgar in his bantamweight debut? 4 years too late for me. Maybe more. He'd have certainly beaten Barao when he was champion. I'd have liked him against Cody. He's old now though. Munhoz surely finishes him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a win for Frankie. Done doubting that man. Wasn't emphatic, I personally scored it for Munhoz, but was a great performance against a perennial top 10 bantamweight. He's not GOAT tier but he's pretty close, truly the only man that has his number through 2017 was Jose Aldo, and the rough patch against Holloway, Ortega (two massive featherweights) and Zombie (short notice while dieting for 135) has possibly been overstated due to how elite and sized those guys are for 145. He could yet make a run at bantamweight. It'll be tough, but the toughness, chin, skills and it seems speed all held up even at 38. Machine.

Has to be 2 combinations of Edgar, Aldo, Cruz and Dillashaw next timing wise. Obviously not Edgar vs. Aldo again. Would lean Aldo vs. Cruz (the 2 WEC GOAT's - if they can get that done in December around the 10 year anniversary of the last show) and Edgar vs. Dillashaw. Winners fight, providing it isn't Aldo and Edgar. All big fights that would create the "money" title challenger for the end of 2021. Unless Cejudo wants to chuck himself in the mix too. Great division. Looking forward to Yan vs. Sterling and Moraes getting the winner too.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    A reminder that Dana White is a piece of shit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    A reminder that Dana White is a piece of shit.
    Context? If this is a response to what FB just posted then it makes zero sense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's speaking at a Trump rally I think, presumably that's the context.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I thought it was his comment about de la Hoya coming back, "cocaine isn't cheap."

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's speaking at a Trump rally I think, presumably that's the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I thought it was his comment about de la Hoya coming back, "cocaine isn't cheap."
    I could see it be either or both. I hate when people do what Tyson did.

That cocaine line about Oscar was fucking slick though. Fuck Oscar.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I think Tyson is much more of a devout liberal than he is a De La Hoya fan..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robbie Lawler's shot, then. Neil Magny is a good fighter but he's a fringe contender at best and he just dominated Lawler. At least there's a few "fun fights" that can be made for him at 170 now he's past relevance - Pettis, Maia, Sanchez, Means, Condit rematch (to me, an absolute must if Condit wins his return fight against Court McGee) - so hopefully we can have more enjoyable fights from here on out from an all time great action fighter.

Wasn't overly impressed by Rakic. Old man Glover beat the piss out of Smith 3 months ago, Rakic needed an emphatic finish to put him up there with other contenders. He's in the discussion for a big fight (Jiri?) though.

These fights are coming thick and fast in the COVID era. Woodley vs. Covington is in 3 weeks, probably the biggest non PPV fight of the year so far given the rivalry and ranking of both men. Hope T Wood puts it on him but Colby, unfortunately, is a hell of a fighter and will probably put it on him until he wilts. A finish probably leads to a Masvidal #1 contender fight, which leads to a situation like the Jones one where it's a non-title PPV main event in an era where they don't exist outside of McGregor. I do think Jones sits and fights the Miocic vs. Ngannou winner in Summer next year where a big live gate gets him his desired pay day.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Thought Neil Magny looked terrific. If he had any ass behind him that wouldn't have even been the little fight it was. And I say that as a Lawler fan, which I believe all long-standing mma fans are, so that also wasn't exactly fun to watch. He's just all-around spent.

Ya, shame that about Rakic. Been really looking forward to these lhw's grabbing the bull by Jon Jones' left behind horns, and this was almost but not really at all that by Alexander. Plenty of control and lots of solid technique. Even a good bit of pop here and there. But awfully lacking in the real go-for-it fight iq. Maybe a bit of nerves still on this level, idk. I agree though FB, perhaps vs Jiri in a solid elevator for both prospects looking up at the big 4 (Reyes, Santos, Jan, Glover) eliminator fallout soon. Still throw in maybe a potential Oez/Rumble fight?
    Last edited by Percussion; August 30th, 2020 at 3:12 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mad to think that Lawler was considered washed 8 years ago, pre-UFC return. He must have shipped 1200 significant strikes to the head since then. Eventually that wears on you, and it shows. The reflexes and confidence in his game has gone. What a fighter he was though. Still interested in seeing him take on fellow brawlers, but Magny was all wrong for a faded Lawler.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lawler's career resurgence was awesome and thank God for it because it made for some very exciting, unpredictable fights. Truthfully when you look at his pre-return, it wasn't like he was losing to anything outside of top contenders. His losses in SF were all against top tier fighters. But I too thought, oh shit he's going to get taken down left and right yada yada.

It's a shame the Askren fight went the way it did. He's only won 1 fight in the last 4+ years and I felt had the ref done a better job in the Askren fight (IE he should've stopped it after the 5th clean headsmasher Askren took), Lawler would've won. But then we wouldn't have the Flying Knee from Mas so it all worked out lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumors are swirling that Masvidal v. Diaz 2 for the BMF title might be the co-main to Usman/Covington. Not hard to see why but that fight makes no fucking sense lol.

Stipe is now trying to get a Conor-Mayweather thing going by recently saying Ngannou doesn't interest him lol. What a fucking idiot. Stipe needs to know his place. The only reason that Conor fight happened is because the guy is the biggest draw ever in the history of MMA and one of the biggest draws in entertainment period

There's a reason no other big MMA v. Boxer fights have happened. Nobody gives a shit about 99% of the MMA world.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree about the last point. Stipe vs. Fury would get more eyeballs than say Fury vs. Povetkin, but it wouldn't do the business that make taking a prolonged beating worthwhile. Same with Conor vs. Pacquiao- why get slapped about by an old boxer for 2 million buys, splitting the purse 50/50, when you can monetize a fight against Cowboy Cerrone and do 1.2? The ends justified the means for MayMac, and no other crossover would do that based on the skill discrepancy of either discipline. Stipe would get murdered by any elite heavyweight boxer, all athletes are stubborn enough to think otherwise though. But yeah, Ngannou has earned the rematch. It's forgotten that he went straight back into another camp for the first fight, he was obviously fresh damage-wise after the Overeem fight but mentally, a young fighter having a 7 week turnover after a long camp during the festive period, no excuses but I can see why he wasn't at his best. And even if that was his best, his best 3 years later after that adversity will be much greater. It's a better fight now, and for Stipe to beat THIS Ngannou would cement his legend even further.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Rumors are swirling that Masvidal v. Diaz 2 for the BMF title might be the co-main to Usman/Covington. Not hard to see why but that fight makes no fucking sense lol.

Stipe is now trying to get a Conor-Mayweather thing going by recently saying Ngannou doesn't interest him lol. What a fucking idiot. Stipe needs to know his place. The only reason that Conor fight happened is because the guy is the biggest draw ever in the history of MMA and one of the biggest draws in entertainment period

There's a reason no other big MMA v. Boxer fights have happened. Nobody gives a shit about 99% of the MMA world.
    Covington is scheduled to fight Woodley in a couple weeks.

Usman is now all but set to finally fight Burns for the title.

Masvidal/Diaz 2 in the works as well. Would like to see Masvidal/Edwards though, but whatev.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree about the last point. Stipe vs. Fury would get more eyeballs than say Fury vs. Povetkin, but it wouldn't do the business that make taking a prolonged beating worthwhile. Same with Conor vs. Pacquiao- why get slapped about by an old boxer for 2 million buys, splitting the purse 50/50, when you can monetize a fight against Cowboy Cerrone and do 1.2? The ends justified the means for MayMac, and no other crossover would do that based on the skill discrepancy of either discipline. Stipe would get murdered by any elite heavyweight boxer, all athletes are stubborn enough to think otherwise though. But yeah, Ngannou has earned the rematch. It's forgotten that he went straight back into another camp for the first fight, he was obviously fresh damage-wise after the Overeem fight but mentally, a young fighter having a 7 week turnover after a long camp during the festive period, no excuses but I can see why he wasn't at his best. And even if that was his best, his best 3 years later after that adversity will be much greater. It's a better fight now, and for Stipe to beat THIS Ngannou would cement his legend even further.
    We'll probably agree to disagree because like I said, nobody gives a shit about 99% of the MMA world. Yes, if you have one of the biggest draws in boxing i.e. Tyson Fury fighting, that alone is going to peak interest but nobody is really going to care that he's fighting Stipe Miocic. That's why the Conor fight happened, as you said, the ends justified the means. You had arguably the 2 biggest names in combat sports history about to crossover and fight.

Agree about Stipe beating Ngannou being a way to cement his legacy. Stipe fought an extremely safe, boring fight the first time. Why? Because he knew he was going to get put to sleep eventually by this young novice. He'll try to do the same thing again but let's hope it doesn't happen. Stipe, for all his accomplishments, is the HW version of Mighty Mouse.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Covington is scheduled to fight Woodley in a couple weeks.

Usman is now all but set to finally fight Burns for the title.

Masvidal/Diaz 2 in the works as well. Would like to see Masvidal/Edwards though, but whatev.
    Fuck you're right I meant Usman-Burns! That's why I'm saying I see why they'd do Masvidal-Diaz 2 on the same card. Who gives a fuck about that Usman-Burns title fight? Very few.

Speaking of Woodley-Colby....nevermind.

I don't think it'd be a bad thing for Masvidal to fight Edwards. Edwards isn't a name, and beating Masvidal won't do anything for him in terms of popularity, but in terms of rankings it makes more sense than Diaz 100000% makes more sense than that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I know I'm in the overwhelming minority but I'm legit looking forward to Usman/Burns.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm in the overwhelming minority but I'm legit looking forward to Usman/Burns.
    The UFC needs fans like you to care about these type of fights or they literally have no purpose. I mean that in all seriousness. It's a hard fight to get into. Usman's style is so miserable and Burns is alright. Good everywhere just not that exciting but I'll admit, I've only seen a handful of his fights so who knows.....Usman is basically if GSP never existed and Jon Fitch or Ben Askren were the champ. I love to watch grappling, I don't like to watch the style of grappling that consists of minimal advancement and holding your opponent down because you're scared.

That's all it is, scared. Who wouldn't be? The less you get hit the better your life is and if you can use your strength to hold a dude down for 15-25 minutes good for you because shockingly there is still a fanbase for that style.