User Tag List

Page 135 of 135 FirstFirst ... 125131132133134135
Results 13,401 to 13,442 of 13442

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

  1. #13401
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Big question is, who should Jim Miller fight at UFC 300? I'm guessing it will happen in July, 2024 so Miller would be 40 and already having fought at 100 and 200. What a great retirement fight/moment it would be to go out on a win like that.

  2. #13402
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    That would be cool to see him fight at UFC 300. The way the world works he'll probably get hurt and fight at UFC 301 instead.

  3. #13403
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    To me it depends on what veterans are at that level in 2 years. RDA, El Cucuy, Barboza, Cub or Michael Johnson would be on the list. Thing is, if he gets 3 fights in a year and goes at worst 2-4 coming out of 300, he'd probably push to 4 more fights getting to 50. Which I don't think will ever be touchable.

  4. #13404
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Jim Miller's resume is legendary. I just looked up his record and wow, it's a trip down memory lane for sure. I didn't remember half of the fights, how could you?? Again it's a shame he has all these accolades in the UFC but not a single title shot. The big wins just escaped him at the time he really needed them.

  5. #13405
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    RDA vs. Tony Ferguson 2 next then? Makes sense for both men at this point, though I don't think RDA is in anyway shot. I just don't think you can justify having him fight up the rankings. Nobody in the top 15 is booked to fight at the minute (though obviously 6 have fought in recent weeks) so should be pretty easy to get the ball rolling on matchups. Do Bronx and Islam looks a gimme for the vacant title, Poirier and Chandler just set a little grudge up, Fiziev called out Gaethje which is just a nailed on banger. Dariush's momentum has stalled with the injury, he's earned one of the above guys but probably has to fight down. Maybe Gamrot? Ismagulov vs. Armen and Hooker vs. Turner rounding it out. Conor the odd man out but surely they just run him and Nate at welterweight? Outside of the top 15 there's a lot of talent too.

  6. #13406
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    RDA vs. Tony Ferguson 2 next then? Makes sense for both men at this point, though I don't think RDA is in anyway shot. I just don't think you can justify having him fight up the rankings. Nobody in the top 15 is booked to fight at the minute (though obviously 6 have fought in recent weeks) so should be pretty easy to get the ball rolling on matchups. Do Bronx and Islam looks a gimme for the vacant title, Poirier and Chandler just set a little grudge up, Fiziev called out Gaethje which is just a nailed on banger. Dariush's momentum has stalled with the injury, he's earned one of the above guys but probably has to fight down. Maybe Gamrot? Ismagulov vs. Armen and Hooker vs. Turner rounding it out. Conor the odd man out but surely they just run him and Nate at welterweight? Outside of the top 15 there's a lot of talent too.
    Those all seem likely no doubt about it.

  7. #13407
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    Quality card tonight, half the card being ranked. For a Fight Night! All well matched and entertaining scraps on paper too.

    Main event should be awesome. Two granite tough offence first mad men. Ortega has the decisive advantage on the ground so I expect him to find a submission, but it's going to be a wild one to get there because his takedowns aren't great. Or Yair superman somersault ongbak elbows him and knocks him out.

    Lemos vs. Waterston doesn't do much for me but a good fight to make for both. Karate Hottie can't get over the hump to a title shot, doesn't have the firepower. Lemos is the better prospect but Michelle is better than the girls she beat on her streak so this is to see where her level is. I think Lemos gets it done but it'll be tight.

    Leech vs. King of Kung Fu is another good one. Leech is ranked, Salikhov is on a 5 fight winning streak but nearing 40 so pretty much needs to make a run of it now. Seeing Li winning by taking over the fight down the stretch as Salikhov tends to fade.

    Su vs. Schnell is important to the flyweight division which is still shuffling in the spots 6 and below really. Has the look of a one rounder, either Su gets the counter finish or he gets subbed. Leaning the latter as Schnell is crafty and fought at a higher level. Su getting subbed a few times previous is a good indicator that there will be a big skill gap if it hits the deck.

    Burgos vs. Jourdain is the one though. Fuck. Never seen either in a remotely boring fight. The lasting memory of Jourdain is him going nuts looking for the finish in his only decision win. He comes to end it. Burgos is tough as old shoe leather and been in there with the best. Coin flip but Burgos bases on levels he's fought at, but this will be wild.

    Murphy vs. Tate is just an attempt to get Meisha a quick title shot really. Women's flyweight is the worst division in the company and anybody top 10 at 115 or 135 would waltz into a title shot. The one plus being the champion can fight so dross like Murphy and Jessica Eye aren't hot potatoing the title. Though saying that, Tate herself is a relic of a previous era and I see her losing here in a bad, clinch heavy fight. I hope she wins because at least there'd be a modicum of hype to the title fight while they actually build Santos for her rematch with Shev.

    Featured prelim is a slugfest. I've got Soriano by KO, very heavy handed and it's a good fight to right the ship. There's something there with him if they match him correctly which they have here.

    Shore vs. Simon might be the best fight on the card. Undefeated Shore against massively underrated Simon. I love it. Other than the Faber fight Simon has been super competitive with some really good wins. Shore has been brought along slow enough, similar to Arnold Allen, but has made steady improvements. I think he likely hits a wall here though, in an exciting grappling contest I see Simon having the flashier moments and taking a nip and tuck decision.

    Burns vs. Algeo, I think Burns blows through him in a round. Burns is good early and Algeo won't have the firepower to stop it.

    Un vs. Jacoby is another well made fight. A lot of fighters on this card with a tonne of momentum. Un is 4-0-1 in the company, Jacoby 5-0-1 since his return. So combined undefeated in 11 fights. At 205 too. Winner goes in the top 10 bubble you'd think, earning a fight with a Walker or Krylov. I've got Jacoby, Un drew with Sam Alvey and hasn't beaten anybody of note.

    Grant vs. Stofulus is the pink slip fight of the night. Grant is reasonable prelim fodder at least so I favour him.

    Ducote vs. Penne is sneaky relevant. Invicta champion vs. former title challenger. Winner probably earns a ranking in the one good women's division. I'd say Ducote takes it.

    And us Europeans can watch it and go to bed at a decent time!

  8. #13408
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Nate Diaz v. Khamzat at UFC 279? Almost a done deal. We'll see.

  9. #13409
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    Khamzat runs through him but you can't really fault the business decision, despite how flagrant it is. Belal or Colby test Khamzat a lot more with their defensive wrestling with not half the upside that comes from beating them in terms of fan interest. Sets up Usman going for the longest winning streak in UFC history against an unbeaten guy coming off a thrashing of a top 5 draw. Huge fight for next year.

    Yan vs. O'Malley in Abu Dhabi underneath Do Bronx vs. Islam and Aljo vs. TJ. What a card. Massive step up for Sugar Sean. Think he gets decimated. Yan, Charles aside, is the one guy I see reclaiming his title.

  10. #13410
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Khamzat runs through him but you can't really fault the business decision, despite how flagrant it is. Belal or Colby test Khamzat a lot more with their defensive wrestling with not half the upside that comes from beating them in terms of fan interest. Sets up Usman going for the longest winning streak in UFC history against an unbeaten guy coming off a thrashing of a top 5 draw. Huge fight for next year.

    Yan vs. O'Malley in Abu Dhabi underneath Do Bronx vs. Islam and Aljo vs. TJ. What a card. Massive step up for Sugar Sean. Think he gets decimated. Yan, Charles aside, is the one guy I see reclaiming his title.
    See I'm still not that sold on Nate as a draw. The big fights he's been part of seemed like they had an equally and/or bigger star attached. With that said---Khamzat looked really good against Burns who is one of the best in the division. Nate is tough and that's about it. He's capable of pulling off the win no doubt and I'm not counting him out but I think he's getting 30-27'd.

    I wish we had seen more out of O'Malley in his last fight. He was connecting with damn near everything he threw at dude. I feel bad, I actually forgot that Sterling and Yan had a rematch back in April. I heard this announcement and I thought wait a minute, wasn't Yan getting a title shot against the Sterling??

  11. #13411
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quick Picks:
    Pena Retains
    France wins title
    Lewis KO's Sergei
    Pantoja/Perez...I say Perez only because I've never seen the other cat
    Ankalaev submits Smith

  12. #13412
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    I've got Pena too. She walked through Nunes' offence last time, tough as old shoe leather. Amanda would be best served going grappler heavy a la the GDR fight, Pena isn't much of a threat from the bottom. But that's a hard game to play for five rounds, and Pena can scramble. I actually think she breaks her down with elbows this time and gets the TKO. Would like Amanda to win, but honestly there's not much to like about 135 or 145. Guess is Shevchenko gets the winner regardless.

    Moreno vs. Kara France is going to be an awesome fight, that much I know. It's more of a coin flip than the odds suggest but I do still have Moreno just on that five round experience. Kai has started to load up on his shots lately which have led to finishes, but Moreno is iron chinned and likely takes over in the championship rounds.

    Black Beast fight is another coin flip. I'm going Beast though. He only loses to more dynamic strikers, and I don't think Pavlovic has the speed to put him in real trouble. It's Beast though, he looks awful in every fight until he wins so who knows. Love him.

    Got Pantoja to beat Perez based on quality of wins really. Pantoja has beat the two title challengers and went to war with Figgy. Just more battle tested. Expecting this to be a banger as well.

    Would love Lionheart to win, but conservative Ankalaev will be a tough nut to crack with his sambo skills. See a coasting decision unfortunately.

    Prelims are light on names but actually pretty good matchups. Dober fight in particular should be excellent. Really reliable action fighter nowadays.

  13. #13413
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,971
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    606764
    Ugh, that early stoppage was no bueno.

  14. #13414
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,971
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    606764
    Incredible main event.

  15. #13415
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    What a dogfight. Incredible toughness from Pena but Nunes showed up, didn't rush the stoppage and took her apart. First person to win a title via KO, sub and decision, to my knowledge. Cool that there's vulnerability going forward at least based on the first fight too, so at least Aldana or whoever she fights next isn't a complete write off like everybody bar Cyborg has been in the last few years.

  16. #13416
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    What a dogfight. Incredible toughness from Pena but Nunes showed up, didn't rush the stoppage and took her apart. First person to win a title via KO, sub and decision, to my knowledge. Cool that there's vulnerability going forward at least based on the first fight too, so at least Aldana or whoever she fights next isn't a complete write off like everybody bar Cyborg has been in the last few years.
    The crazy part is Cyborg was and still is her biggest test and out of everyone she fought it was the easiest. That's MMA for you.

  17. #13417
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    Crazy how, Nunes aside, there have been 8 champions between 125-145, and Nunes has beaten 7 of them. Don't think she'd have much problem with Nicco Montana either! 9-1 against them. Considering the historical lack of depth in those divisions, she's dominated the cream of the crop. Why the GOAT discussion is easy in WMMA. Nunes has beaten the rest of the top 5 bantamweights of all time and beat the best at 125 and 145 too.

  18. #13418
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Crazy how, Nunes aside, there have been 8 champions between 125-145, and Nunes has beaten 7 of them. Don't think she'd have much problem with Nicco Montana either! 9-1 against them. Considering the historical lack of depth in those divisions, she's dominated the cream of the crop. Why the GOAT discussion is easy in WMMA. Nunes has beaten the rest of the top 5 bantamweights of all time and beat the best at 125 and 145 too.
    Yeah she's had a few bumps in the road in the UFC with the losses to Cat Zigano and Pena but shit even GSP lost a couple to his path to greatness.

  19. #13419
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    How do you guys see Amanda Nunes/Kayla Harrison go down at 145? In a sort of reversed-roles way it would kind of be the Rosey/Cyborg "dream fight" we never got. Except the Shevchenko trilogy it seems Harrison is the only threat left for Nunes out there, or am I missing someone..?
    Last edited by OD50; August 1st, 2022 at 3:34 AM.

  20. #13420
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    How do you guys see Amanda Nunes/Kayla Harrison go down at 145? In a sort of reversed-roles way it would kind of be the Rosey/Cyborg "dream fight" we never got. Except the Shevchenko trilogy it seems Harrison is the only threat left for Nunes out there, or am I missing someone..?
    I'll be honest, I think you're in the minority with that opinion about Harrison. I don't see it as a dream fight at all. I don't see her as a threat whatsoever. Who has she fought? Let's see if she can even make 145. She's never fought MMA lower than 145. She's actually only fought at 145 one time and the next fight back up to 155.

    I mean, people didn't see Pena as a threat at all. A very small % of fans gave her a chance. Cyborg at least had the name value, she had the history of killing people and came to the UFC and killed more people with ease. Kayla Harrison coming over from a promotion barely anyone outside the ultra die hard MMA fanbase even knows about.....

    This is a dream fight like Fedor v. Bret Rogers was a dream fight.

  21. #13421
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I didn't mean Nunes/Harrison was a dream fight, I drew comparisons to Cyborg/Rousey which to many was a dream fight, but that the roles were somewhat changed. Maybe I worded it poorly.

    Harrison is the undefeated american judoka (just like Ronda was) but she is also the one fighting sub-par competiton outside of the UFC just like many said Cyborg did at the time*. Nunes is the brazilian badass considered by many to be the goat (just like many did Cyborg), but she is also the (aside from the Pena glitch) very dominant UFC champion (just like Ronda was).

    Cyborg was easily the bigger name of course since Gina was the absolute star of womens MMA at the time Cyborg beat her. Harrison of 2022 would do terrible things to Gina of 2009 though. She's an absolute tank of a woman, her grappling is phenomenal and her striking right now is much, much better than Ronda's ever were. Not on Nunes level of course but the same applies to Cat Zingano and Juliana Pena but they both outgritted and beat Nunes on the ground. Harrison's grappling and power is on another level to both Cat and Pena.

    Most people probably don't even know that Kayla and Amanada were training partners for years at ATT. Not saying Kayla definitely wins but it would be very interesting.

    *Between her Strikeforce and UFC runs Cyborg fought names like Tro Van Duin, Charmaine Tweet and Dana Ibragimova. The only names on her resume at that point was Gina Carano (obviously) and Marloes Coenen.
    Last edited by OD50; August 2nd, 2022 at 11:54 AM.

  22. #13422
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    @OD50 I don't want to try to compare someone who fought in the early days of WMMA where the depth was almost non-existent versus someone who has had a few chances to sign with the UFC but chose to stay in the PFL. I see what you're saying but you're coming from a very very hardcore fan mentality of what Harrison offers. Especially if you think she's the only threat in the entire world to Nunes.

    Harrison has had chances to fight both Nunes and Cyborg Santos. She chose to do something else. I'm curious if she would've signed with the UFC had Nunes not lost to Pena. Dana, a few others said that fight was off the table so to speak after the loss but it was going to no doubt happen at 145. Harrison has spent 90% of her career fighting at 155 or higher.

    If Harrison fought better talent I'd be there with you man. But stopping Kaitlyn Young isn't exactly the same as smokin Holly Holm in a minute.

  23. #13423
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I didn't write that though, I wondered if Harrison was the biggest threat to Nunes except for the trilogy fight with Bullet (I had Shevchenko winning in the second fight) or "am I missing someone?". I haven't kept upp 100% with MMA as of late and especially not with WMMA so there might well be some new up and coming beast at 135 or 145 I haven't really taken notice of. Harrison wanted to sign with the UFC or Bellator but they (rightly) didn't offer anywhere near what she can make in the PFL since she is a no-name to the casual viewer/PPV buyer.

    It's kind of interesting that she talked about that being considered the best in the world was much more important to her than money, yet she choose to re-sign with the PFL to crush cans and make another easy million.

    /So, I looked around a bit and it seems that Ketlen Vieira could be the frontrunner to fight Nunes at 135 since she beat the ghosts of Holly Holm and Miesha Tate back-to-back. If not, maybe Irene Aldana (who beat Vieira) if she beats Macy Chiasson..?
    Last edited by OD50; August 2nd, 2022 at 1:41 PM.

  24. #13424
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    I didn't write that though, I wondered if Harrison was the biggest threat to Nunes except for the trilogy fight with Bullet (I had Shevchenko winning in the second fight) or "am I missing someone?". I haven't kept upp 100% with MMA as of late and especially not with WMMA so there might well be some new up and coming beast at 135 or 145 I haven't really taken notice of. Harrison wanted to sign with the UFC or Bellator but they (rightly) didn't offer anywhere near what she can make in the PFL since she is a no-name to the casual viewer/PPV buyer.

    It's kind of interesting that she talked about that being considered the best in the world was much more important to her than money, yet she choose to re-sign with the PFL to crush cans and make another easy million.

    /So, I looked around a bit and it seems that Ketlen Vieira could be the frontrunner to fight Nunes at 135 since she beat the ghosts of Holly Holm and Miesha Tate back-to-back. If not, maybe Irene Aldana (who beat Vieira) if she beats Macy Chiasson..?
    That's the thing. Kayla will fall back on that whole PFL $1 million tournament stuff while calling out fighters in other organizations that are offering her to sign. She is a nobody in the grand scheme of things. PFL isn't a top tier organization.

    If you haven't been following much MMA and/or WMMA then Harrison's name being a threat is even more confusing.

  25. #13425
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I was only curious how you people would see a hypothetical fight between Nunes and Harrison (at 145 obviously) would go since there doesn't seem to be many women left in the UFC to challenge her (especially at 145). Bullet is her equal even if she has lost twice, and is of course smallish even at 135.

    Speculating and hypotheticals are part of the fun for me, even about fights that never happened or never will happen. Who would win between Fedor and Brock? Fedor and Lesnar? Ronda and Cyborg? Ronda and Gina? GSP and Anderson Silva..? What would have happened if CC beat Gonzaga and fought Randy for the title? And so on.

    Remember when Mark Hammer got pissed because I dared to speculate that Alexander Gustafsson could possibly beat Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin despite not being a big name or having proven himself in the UFC yet..? Just because you haven't seem someone compete against the best doesn't mean that they couldn't eventually beat some of the best.
    Last edited by OD50; August 3rd, 2022 at 3:55 AM.

  26. #13426
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    I was only curious how you people would see a hypothetical fight between Nunes and Harrison (at 145 obviously) would go since there doesn't seem to be many women left in the UFC to challenge her (especially at 145). Bullet is her equal even if she has lost twice, and is of course smallish even at 135.

    Speculating and hypotheticals are part of the fun for me, even about fights that never happened or never will happen. Who would win between Fedor and Brock? Fedor and Lesnar? Ronda and Cyborg? Ronda and Gina? GSP and Anderson Silva..? What would have happened if CC beat Gonzaga and fought Randy for the title? And so on.

    Remember when Mark Hammer got pissed because I dared to speculate that Alexander Gustafsson could possibly beat Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin despite not being a big name or having proven himself in the UFC yet..? Just because you haven't seem someone compete against the best doesn't mean that they couldn't eventually beat some of the best.
    Haha I don't remember that conversation with Mark Hammer at all. Was this before Gus was in the UFC? Gus showed up in 2009, Franklin and Griffin at this time were not the Amanda Nunes of their division or the GOAT of the men as she is the GOAT of the women. So yeah I'm sure if you said a 6'5" LHW could beat Rich Franklin or Forrest Griffin when they were losing every other fight sure.

    I think for me it was simply you questioning whether or not Kayla Harrison was the only threat on the planet to Nunes. Kayla Harrison has dominated a nothing division in a nothing promotion in a time where WMMA is a lot deeper than it was back in 2010 or even 2015. People didn't think Julianna Pena was a threat to Nunes and look how that worked out. Plenty of fighters in the UFC alone. Cyborg-who's in Bellator, is still a bigger threat than 99% of the women out there. Just because she got KO'd in 30 seconds doesn't mean much, Cain V was KO'd about that quick against JDS and look how their 2 rematches went. JDS lost half his life lol.

  27. #13427
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I wouldn't mind Nunes/Cyborg 2, I definitely give Cyborg a shot despite what happened in the first. Dana just now said that he would like to see the Nunes/Shevchenko trilogy next and that the Cyborg rematch was (understandebly) completely off the table. A great scenario would be if PFL and Bellator could somehow co-promote Harrison/Cyborg, that would definitely show at what level Kayla is at. Besides Cyborg and Nunes there are a grand total of 0 women at 145 that could do anything to Harrison, especially outside of the UFC. Maybe PFL can sign Megan Anderson to at least give her something of a "name" to fight.

    Point with Alex is that just because someone is unproven and not having fought top-tier competiton it doesn't mean they can't hang with or defeat big names. Franklin and Griffin were household names and former champions at the time while Alex was a relative rookie and 1-1 in the UFC at the time. In Mark's mind it was like heresy to suggest Alex could win those fights. Many people were crowing about Justin Gaethje being a bum fighting cans and one-armed fighters in WSoF, now he's probably their favorite fighter.

    Same happened on some old K1 forum I used to hang out on a bit, the peeps there were enraged that I dared suggest that Martin Holm could hang with the elite at the time in K-1.
    Last edited by OD50; August 3rd, 2022 at 11:58 AM.

  28. #13428
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    I wouldn't mind Nunes/Cyborg 2, I definitely give Cyborg a shot despite what happened in the first. Dana just now said that he would like to see the Nunes/Shevchenko trilogy next and that the Cyborg rematch was (understandebly) completely off the table. A great scenario would be if PFL and Bellator could somehow co-promote Harrison/Cyborg, that would definitely show at what level Kayla is at. Besides Cyborg and Nunes there are a grand total of 0 women at 145 that could do anything to Harrison, especially outside of the UFC. Maybe PFL can sign Megan Anderson to at least give her something of a "name" to fight.

    Point with Alex is that just because someone is unproven and not having fought top-tier competiton it doesn't mean they can't hang with or defeat big names. Franklin and Griffin were household names and former champions at the time while Alex was a relative rookie and 1-1 in the UFC at the time. In Mark's mind it was like heresy to suggest Alex could win those fights. Many people were crowing about Justin Gaethje being a bum fighting cans and one-armed fighters in WSoF, now he's probably their favorite fighter.

    Same happened on some old K1 forum I used to hang out on a bit, the peeps there were enraged that I dared suggest that Martin Holm could hang with the elite at the time in K-1.
    Yeah Nunes-Bullet 3 would be cool. I mean, Wandy beat Rampage decisively twice in a row so why not after the fights these 2 women have had?? Usually we don't see a trilogy unless it's a rubber match but sometimes that's the best route to go.

    With Gus it's more about who you were talking about. In comparison, at that time, Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin were not considered the GOAT. Even when they were champions they were not considered the best male MMA fighters especially in 2009-2010. WMMA might not have the depth of the men, but Nunes isn't just the GOAT of 135. She's the P4P GOAT.

    For me I think it's also I'm sick of hearing about Kayla Harrison. I am 100% someone who believes that if you truly want to be the best female MMA fighter, you have to be in the UFC. Bellator is fine they have Cyborg and they have Cat Zigano who rarely fights but imo still a threat. A few others for sure. But the UFC is the only place that truly matters due to the depth. Until Harrison fights in the UFC the hype is unwarranted.

  29. #13429
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    Yeah, for every Gaethje there's a couple of Hector Lombard's. It's hard to transition to the UFC. You generally get thrown in at the deep end if you've got a name and you quickly find out whether they're at that level. Women's divisions 125 and up are pretty shitty so I think Harrison would mow through the McMann's and Pennington's of the world, but nothing there to suggest she hangs with Nunes.

  30. #13430
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    We have to always remember she fights at 155. I looked at her record, maybe 1-2 fights at 145. 145....It's irrelevant. They know full well Nunes was barely going to defend that belt and by now should've created at least an interim champ. If Harrison could make 135 then let's talk. But imagine your first fight in the UFC is 2 weight classes lower against the greatest female fighter in her fuckin prime.

  31. #13431
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    UFC 281 at MSG could be headlined by Chandler v. Poirier. That's a killer fight.

  32. #13432
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    UFC 281 at MSG could be headlined by Chandler v. Poirier. That's a killer fight.
    Should be another Chandler classic like the fights with Eddie and Gaethje, win or lose.

    As for Kayla Harrison I'm not sure the original point went through, maybe because I'm on my dads old shitty laptop that auto translates everything to swedish.. I never said anywhere that Harrison would beat Nunes, but the point was who right now in the UFC (aside from the Shevchenko trilogy at 135) would be a bigger challenge for Nunes than Harrison, I threw out Aldana and Vieira but didn't get too much opinions on those. Their fight would obviously take place at 145 if Kayla isn't interested in amputating a leg or two to make weight. I was also interested in you guys opinion on a hypothetical Nunes/Harrison fight at 145, and from what I see Nunes is the huge favorite, as she should be of course. The problem is that Harrison would probably have to face Nunes for the title in her debut, who else at 145 is there even there after Megan Anderson was cut and that canadian girl retired? Maybe a buffed up Holly Holm?

    In reality I guess the UFC should retire the 145 title, it was just created so Cyborg would have something to do. Remember that Dana was very close to getting rid of mens FLW/125 at one time and I'd wager womens FW is and always has been a worse division, even when mens FLW was at its lowest.

    My point is also that people have a habit of discounting anyone fighting outside of the UFC when in reality pretty much every fighter has to start somewhere else, with the exception of maybe Matt Mitrione and one or two others. Remember that goofy canadian Karate guy fighting bums in TKO, that Ragnar Lothbrok wannabe irishman that got subbed in 38 seconds in Cage Warriors or the skinny brazilian getting subbed by japanese cans in Pride?

    I just read that Cyborg is a free agent and that PFL is trying to do the Harrison/Cyborg fight, either in the PFL or in co-promotion with Bellator if Cyborg re-signs. I think Cyborg/Harrison would be an excellent gauge of Harrisons skills. I guess Cyborg being a free agent explains the happy birthday text she sent to Dana.. Dana said he wasn't interested in Cyborg/Nunes 2 though.
    Last edited by OD50; August 4th, 2022 at 4:24 AM.

  33. #13433
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Dana doesn't want Cyborg/Nunes 2 because he knows Cyborg can KO Nunes just as easily. Plus she beats the shit out of everyone but it's all going to be above 140. 135 is too much of a cut as we've seen. Not to mention they're not exactly fond of each other. Dana and others, shit many others to this day, they said a lot of foul shit about Cyborg especially when Cyborg was really trying to get in to the UFC and fight Rousey. IMHO there isn't a bigger piece of shit moment from Dana than when he was trying to defend saying Cyborg looked like Wanderlai in a dress. Just say Ronda was scared lol.

  34. #13434
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Dana vill inte ha Cyborg/Nunes 2 eftersom han vet att Cyborg kan KO Nunes lika lätt. Plus att hon slår skiten ur alla men allt kommer att vara över 140. 135 är för mycket av ett snitt som vi har sett. För att inte tala om att de inte direkt är förtjusta i varandra. Dana och andra, shit många andra än idag, de sa mycket ful skit om Cyborg speciellt när Cyborg verkligen försökte komma in i UFC och slåss mot Rousey. IMHO det finns inte ett större skitmoment från Dana än när han försökte försvara att Cyborg såg ut som Wanderlai i en klänning. Säg bara att Ronda var rädd lol.
    Enas om alla delar. Föreställ dig Danas huvudvärk om Cyborg kom tillbaka och KO'd Nunes stel vid 145, det skulle göra det svårt att marknadsföra Nunes som den kvinnliga GETEN samtidigt som hon betalade Cyborg stora pengar för att försvara sin FW -titel mot Tonya Evinger.

    Cyborg underskattade förmodligen Nunes makt tills det var för sent. När hon insåg hur hårt Nunes slog var hon redan på rullskridskor. Jag tror att en returmatch där Cyborg är bättre förberedd på vad Nunes tillför och inte så hänsynslös kan vara minst 50/50.

    /Man, insåg precis hur mycket jag saknar att se Martin Holm slåss. Han var en sådan badass i ringen, men han hade sina personliga demoner och dog alldeles, alldeles för tidigt.. Jag flög till Paris med min dåvarande GF 2003 bara för att se honom mot Ernesto Hoost.
    Last edited by OD50; August 4th, 2022 at 10:27 AM.

  35. #13435
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Enas om alla delar. Föreställ dig Danas huvudvärk om Cyborg kom tillbaka och KO'd Nunes stel vid 145, det skulle göra det svårt att marknadsföra Nunes som den kvinnliga GETEN samtidigt som hon betalade Cyborg stora pengar för att försvara sin FW -titel mot Tonya Evinger.

    Cyborg underskattade förmodligen Nunes makt tills det var för sent. När hon insåg hur hårt Nunes slog var hon redan på rullskridskor. Jag tror att en returmatch där Cyborg är bättre förberedd på vad Nunes tillför och inte så hänsynslös kan vara minst 50/50.

    /Man, insåg precis hur mycket jag saknar att se Martin Holm slåss. Han var en sådan badass i ringen, men han hade sina personliga demoner och dog alldeles, alldeles för tidigt.. Jag flög till Paris med min dåvarande GF 2003 bara för att se honom mot Ernesto Hoost.
    This is awesome lol.

    I don't know what any of it says but I will say this, I saw Bob Sapp beat Hoost in K-1. That was nuts especially looking back 20+ years later knowing how legendary Hoost is and how shitty Sapp is lol. That's like finding out CM Punk beat GSP or something wild.

  36. #13436
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,910
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    This shitty laptop auto changes everything to swedish..

    It basically says that I agree with what I quoted.

    /I ran it through Google translate so it's probably not exactly what I wrote:

    Agree on all parts. Imagine Dana's headache if Cyborg came back and KO'd Nunes stiff at 145, it would make it difficult to promote Nunes as the female GOAT while paying Cyborg big bucks to defend her FW title against the likes of Tonya Evinger. Cyborg probably underestimated Nunes' power until it was too late. By the time she realized how hard Nunes was hitting, she was already on roller skates. I think a return match where Cyborg is better prepared for what Nunes brings and not so reckless could be at least 50/50.

    Man, realized just how much I miss watching Martin Holm fight. He was such a badass in the ring, but he had his personal demons and died way, way too soon.. I flew to Paris with my then GF in 2003 only to see him against Ernesto Hoost.
    Last edited by OD50; August 4th, 2022 at 3:45 PM.

  37. #13437
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    So, Adesanya vs. Pereira in the Garden. Hopefully Alex brings the fight out of Israel, this might be his 'Chael' fight as his star is threatening to dim after a couple of lacklustre fights. The extra needle from the kickboxing defeats should be motivation enough. Alex made his UFC debut last year at MSG so quite the leap.

    Looking on the horizon, the end of the year has some fun fights but it has the feeling that it's setting up for bigger things next year. Jones and McGregor are almost certainly on the shelf until 2023. Usman and Chimaev is on the table if they get through their next fights. Charles vs. Khabib if Do Bronx gets past Islam? Or Volkanovski going for the double. Cejudo's return looks in play. Aldo title shot if he beats Merab (and thus potentially TJ vs. Aldo in an all time dream fight). Potentially Nunes vs. Shevchenko 3. Figgy Smalls vs. Moreno 4. Feels like we're building towards 2015-2016 levels of frequent big fights. I love the sport but it's been a minute since a fight really had anticipation behind it.

  38. #13438
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    Excellent card last night. 10 fights, 10 finishes. Good viewing with my cereal this morning.

    I think light heavyweight is quite a logical division to plan for - Jiri vs. Glover 2 with the winner fighting the winner of an Ankalaev/Jan fight. I'm not usually an advocate of instant rematches but that fight was a classic. If Jan or Ankalaev had big finishes in their last encounters you could have argued them into a shot, but opponent injuries have stifled them. Elsewhere, Hill vs. Rakic if the latter is fit anytime soon. I would say Dom Reyes but he should get a rebuild rather than getting thrown in the deep end. His 3 losses look excellent in retrospect.

    Geoff Neal looked awesome and the Burns callout suits me. Teammate of Luque. Does feel like jumping the queue a bit given the Wonderboy and Magny losses, but no one has done that to Luque and he has a win over Belal too. Obviously plans go awry if Leon or Nate win, but it seems like Usman and Khamzat are on a collision course - after that, most impressive winner out of Neal/Burns and Belal/Brady fights Colby for the next shot I feel. Though the Khamzat/Usman winner almost certainly would go up to face Pereira if he beats Adesanya. As for Luque, back in the fun fights territory now, as his offence first style has caught up to him at the higher level. I'd be booking him and Masvidal but get the feeling they're going to go for Jorge vs. Conor now Masvidal is on the way down.

  39. #13439
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Someone explain to me how Sam Alvey wound up with a 9 fight losing streak in the UFC? The division he fights in, plenty deep. He wasn't a draw, he never sniffed a title, losing record in the company....I sort of understood BJ Penn. Mega legend. But Alvey??

  40. #13440
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    I think it was explained that because he didn't drop out of fights and took plenty on short notice, he was allowed to fight out his contract. But yeah, mad really when he wasn't exactly fighting top 15 killers the whole time. At least BJ started his skid with Diaz, Rory, Frankie and Yair. Mad when Alvey was kept around and good fighters have been let go with 3-1 UFC records. Must have fought cheap.

  41. #13441
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,526
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1795887
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I think it was explained that because he didn't drop out of fights and took plenty on short notice, he was allowed to fight out his contract. But yeah, mad really when he wasn't exactly fighting top 15 killers the whole time. At least BJ started his skid with Diaz, Rory, Frankie and Yair. Mad when Alvey was kept around and good fighters have been let go with 3-1 UFC records. Must have fought cheap.
    I mean the last guy he fought looked like they found him on the street corner, and dude broke Alvey's jaw with the first punch that landed.

    Looking at Sam's record...holy shit....So technically he was only on an 8 fight losing streak as the fight with Da Un Jung was a split draw.....But I also forgot this fuckin guy has a win over Rashad Evans in 2017. He didn't have too bad of a career until Lil Nog and from then on it was over.

  42. #13442
    GO ON LAD Fanny Batter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Respectville
    Posts
    24,575
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    385233
    The guy he fought at the weekend was a fringe top 20 guy at 205 with some decent recent wins, Alvey had no business in there and it showed.

    Cruz vs. Vera on Saturday will be a fun one. Cruz has been kind of irrelevant for 5 years, briefly coming back into prominence for the short notice COVID Cejudo fight which he had no real business taking. But this is his chance at getting back in the title picture. You'd think with his name he'll be parked behind Aldo with a win, unless Yan and Dillashaw win in Abu Dhabi and you make Cruz vs. Aldo in a contenders fight. I do find it crazy the longevity of the lower weight WEC guys, when Cowboy, Pettis, Bendo, Condit, Stann etc have bombed out. The company has been dead nearly 12 years. Chito is a tough fight though just through his mad durability - he'll be there for 25 minutes but I don't think Dom is built for it anymore. Short of a surprise rear naked choke, I just see Cruz fading and Vera finding his target and stopping him some point from round 3 onwards.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •