Page 130 of 137 FirstFirst ... 120126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 13,000 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White is saying that after Colby gets his rematch with Usman (yay....) that the winner of Leon v. Nate gets the title shot after that. We all know that more than likely that will all change but I guess it's a good incentive for Leon and Nate to not only look impressive but win.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hopefully Nate doesn't get fucked over by his scar tissue. This card is pretty fucking good though, I'm excited.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a long time since we saw Nate Diaz v. a strong grappler at 170. The last time was Rory, who mauled him with ease. I remember watching that fight thinking Nate was going to get suplex KO'd.

Nate's a strong candidate for a 160-165lbs division. 170 has some beasts and he was not a top guy at 170.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lot of decisions tonight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Izzy did what he had to I guess to retain and not be on a losing streak. Moreno, what a story that kid has to tell his grandchildren one day. I'm hearing Leon would fight Jorge next or the winner of Usman-Colby. Nate had a chance to finish this dude instead he started doing some Diaz bullshit and just couldn't get it done in the last moments.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nate not going for the finish pissed me off. Upon thinking about it tho I wouldn't want him to get the title shot after the win since he would have almost no chance of winning that and he would get pretty easily destroyed imo.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Nate not going for the finish pissed me off. Upon thinking about it tho I wouldn't want him to get the title shot after the win since he would have almost no chance of winning that and he would get pretty easily destroyed imo.
    The fact Dana said "The winner of this gets the winner of Usman/Colby 2" made me immediately think neither of them were going to get the next title shot. Nate @ 170 just hasn't worked out at all for him. I believe he has a losing record and the only people he's beat at 170 were undersized guys like himself (McGregor, Markham, Marcus Davis)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but Nate is a pretty big name and would sell a lot so maybe it would have happened had he won. People just love to see him fight no matter who or what he is fighting for for the most part.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    True but Nate is a pretty big name and would sell a lot so maybe it would have happened had he won. People just love to see him fight no matter who or what he is fighting for for the most part.
    The history of Dana saying one thing and doing something totally different plus the flakiness and unreliable nature of Nate Diaz to stick around has me questioning the validity of that statement. It's more about Dana than anything.

I've always questioned if Nate was a pretty big name or if he was just a pretty big name in the bubble. Yes, he had 2 crazy high ppv numbers----against the biggest draw in MMA history. We'll never know.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    TUF is so one sided right now. Wow.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    TUF is so one sided right now. Wow.
    I've had no interest in this show in years. I don't even remember the last one I watched. It comes down to oversaturation of MMA. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I don't love it the same way a boxing fan would watch Tuesday Night Fights on USA religiously lol. That's how I view MMA right now, especially the UFC product. Fight cards every other day, now TUF is back.

The last season I actually watched was Joanna-Claudia and it was so cringe with Joanna that I couldn't handle anything else after that. Plus it was hard to keep up. You had the main version and then you had the TUF's that took place on Fuel or whatever the fuck lol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So, Black Beast vs. Cyril Gane for the interim HW title at UFC 265. That was, surprising..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    So, Black Beast vs. Cyril Gane for the interim HW title at UFC 265. That was, surprising..
    I haven't read too much into this situation. A few people are saying it's because of money, that Ngannou is wanting north of $10 million.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 more week and we get Poirier/McGregor 3! I think Poirier's taking this one. McGregor is good about learning from past mistakes and I'm not sure he really made any real mistakes, just that Dustin was the better man the 2nd time around.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Dustin, but it's a 50/50 fight again. I think Poirier's the better fighter and has more proven power at 155 too. You just can't get blast coke for 4-5 years and expect to be the fighter you were. But he's still got good shot selection, manages range well and is accurate and powerful so Conor's well in the fight. For me, Dustin stops him again. The confidence he has now is remarkable. It's a day at the office for him. He's had the highest of highs and lowest of lows and stays consistent because of it. This is a legendary fight though. There's not many times you see 2 fighters in their relative physical prime who are shoe in Hall of Famers already fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I haven't read too much into this situation. A few people are saying it's because of money, that Ngannou is wanting north of $10 million.
    It seems pretty weird on the surface. Apparently Ngannou was offered the fight in September and accepted, then they still made the Gane/Lewis interim fight for August. Most likely a power play by Dana after Francis has been twittering about fighter pay and the Paul brothers boxing purses. Combined with him and Jones asking for those monster paydays to fight each other.

/Oh, and Alexander Gustafsson seems slated to fight Paul Craig in September, possibly in London. Could Gus make somewhat of a comeback or is he completely washed at 34?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems pretty weird on the surface. Apparently Ngannou was offered the fight in September and accepted, then they still made the Gane/Lewis interim fight for August. Most likely a power play by Dana after Francis has been twittering about fighter pay and the Paul brothers boxing purses. Combined with him and Jones asking for those monster paydays to fight each other.

/Oh, and Alexander Gustafsson seems slated to fight Paul Craig in September, possibly in London. Could Gus make somewhat of a comeback or is he completely washed at 34?
    I know Lewis is beloved but I don't see him as the guy carrying the torch for the HW division. Gane is too new. Whatever the real issues are I think are probably warranted in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know about Gus. The injuries that lead to inconsistency I think has been his downfall. He's looked phenomenal in losses to Jones and Cormier but he's only fought 9 times in 8 years. Barely fought more than once a year since 2012.

The thing is....There's a story to be told if he can string a few wins together. And to be honest, LHW is thin so it won't take much to build up the fact he's beaten Jan by decision and knocked out Glover in less than 2 minutes. Craig is ranked #12 but he's on a win streak and he's no joke. If Gus can't get through Craig then he's basically going down as the guy who ALMOST beat Jones and Cormier.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    UFC dead here now?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Yo..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Draft kings is doing great boosts on betting for the main event.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Go on Poirier!! Also, go on Tuivasa!!!
    Last edited by Tyson; July 10th, 2021 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That Kris dude has an insane chin. Herb really should have just let it go another 30 seconds.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wow, what a crazy ending to that fight.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    That Kris dude has an insane chin. Herb really should have just let it go another 30 seconds.
    Thank you for noticing

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Had to have been a compromised bone from a checked kick-type situation earlier in the fight that was fully broken when planted after the exchange.

Baaaananas.

Also Dustin was putting it on Conor so, lol.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Thank you for noticing
    I knew as soon as I typed the word Kris you would end up in here.

Connor was such a sore loser tonight. I know the leg break sucks but shit happens. It's funny because he lost as honorable Connor and now he lost as douchebag Connor so what's next.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bulk up and go to WWE?

I guess there could be another rematch perhaps down the line.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Connor was such a sore loser tonight. I know the leg break sucks but shit happens. It's funny because he lost as honorable Connor and now he lost as douchebag Connor so what's next.
    Jake Paul..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4th fight will happen no doubt. When is another subject. So Dustin gets the title shot I assume because who else is there really? Charles v. Dustin in December?

Conor had me rollin, Joe sitting there with him. Dustin's wife flipping off Conor, fucking hilarious.

In the end, everyone's still talking about McGregor. That's just how it goes in sports. Dustin is a beast, he was looking good and I think he wins the title. McGregor...heal up dude and we'll see you whenever the fook.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Poirier vs Do Bronx is a terrific matchup.

And if Dustin wins that fight I'm not entirely sure a path to a fourth fight necessarily materializes. Conor's nowhere near a LW title shot atm, and it's nowhere near a likelihood that he beats whoever is in his way to get there.

Gaethje, Chandler, Do Bronx (in this scenario). Any combination of wins against a couple of those guys, just to get him to .500 in the division, is a real mountain for him to climb at this point in his career.

I know, money talks though. Would just be an absolute shame, and an equal sham, for him to get a straight away title shot just to cash in on a 4th fight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would hope if Dustin wins the title he has the balls to say Connor shouldn't get a title shot before he actually beats someone.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Poirier vs Do Bronx is a terrific matchup.

And if Dustin wins that fight I'm not entirely sure a path to a fourth fight necessarily materializes. Conor's nowhere near a LW title shot atm, and it's nowhere near a likelihood that he beats whoever is in his way to get there.

Gaethje, Chandler, Do Bronx (in this scenario). Any combination of wins against a couple of those guys, just to get him to .500 in the division, is a real mountain for him to climb at this point in his career.

I know, money talks though. Would just be an absolute shame, and an equal sham, for him to get a straight away title shot just to cash in on a 4th fight.
    I would hope if Dustin wins the title he has the balls to say Connor shouldn't get a title shot before he actually beats someone.
    I mean, Dustin turned down a title shot to fight Conor. NOW he probably would because NOW there is a lot more bullshit.

A 4th fight would be bigger than any fight in the division. I can't even think of anyone active that I would consider in the same universe as McGregor when it comes to drawing power, especially at 155. But the reality is despite his drawing power, gifting him a title fight based on going 1-3 in his last 4....That's tough to make unless there's no realistic options.

If Poirier loses to Charles then a 4th fight is even easier to make but who knows if we'll get it anytime soon. I would like to think maybe in late 2022 we'd see that 4th fight but shit....remember Cain v. JDS? 3 fights in like 2 years against each other.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On one hand it's hilarious, on the other it's like....is this where are in sports? Is Logan Paul going to get a spot on the Timberwolves next season to help attendance?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Master P played in preseason games for the Hornets and the Raptors..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Master P played in preseason games for the Hornets and the Raptors..
    And?

Did it spawn a shit ton of other celebrities playing in the preseason of the NBA, or the NBA in general? Nope. Thank God. I guess some people were really hoping Urkel transitioned from MTV Rock and Jock MVP to the next Michael Jordan....

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    And nothing. Relax. Just a simple example relative to the subject. Merely for chill convo sake.

No one's genuinely concerned that celebrities are going to infiltrate any of the major team pro sports leagues.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And nothing. Relax. Just a simple example relative to the subject. Merely for chill convo sake.

No one's genuinely concerned that celebrities are going to infiltrate any of the major team pro sports leagues.
    My Timberwolves comment wasn't a serious take so that's why it was odd you threw out the Master P comment. Didn't he play like 20 years ago? It just didn't seem relatable but I also didn't think anyone would truly take that comment serious enough to build off it with a serious take.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conor is such an odd angry little man. Great to see Poirier beat him again. Always fascinating to get an insight into a lunatic's mind.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Nick Diaz/Robbie Lawler 2 is official for UFC 266 (sep 25). Must be one of the longest gaps ever for a rematch, 17'ish years right?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick Diaz/Robbie Lawler 2 is official for UFC 266 (sep 25). Must be one of the longest gaps ever for a rematch, 17'ish years right?
    My son is 20 and is extremely excited to see this fight. He's a big Diaz Bros fan, he literally tatted "209" above his left knee lol. It's crazy how a whole generation below is excited to see this fight. I couldn't believe how long ago that fight was. I actually just watched Diaz v. Drew Fickett last night, that was 2 fights after and Diaz was only 21. Crazy!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shamrock and Royce surely won't ever be topped for space between fights at over 22 years. This is great though. Proper matchmaking for a star. Why chuck him in against a ranked guy with no name? Like there were Chimaev rumours which would have been awful.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at Lawler's record and he really had had a solid career. I get he's on a 4-fight losing streak but considering the level of talent he's still fighting I can understand it.

Nick's inactivity in the cage all these years has to play a factor. It's a shame this man was on one hand a complete idiot but also deprived of his peak athletic years in this sport.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Interesting way of looking at how long ago their first fight was, they made a combined $14k - including Diaz's win bonus - for that one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder Chuck Liddell was so hot toward Jon Jones when he turned down the short notice Chael fight. Back then Chuck probably made $14k when he won the title from Couture. Obviously that's not true (I fucking hope) but yeah it makes you appreciate how far the sport has come....well....kind of lol.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Dana White is a selfish piece of shit, was making money by the truckloads while strongarming those who worked for him…kind of like the shithead ex-President who got invited to sit ringside this past Saturday.

Birds of a shit feather, something something…

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Dana White is a selfish piece of shit, was making money by the truckloads while strongarming those who worked for him…kind of like the shithead ex-President who got invited to sit ringside this past Saturday.

Lol rent free.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post

I don't know what triggered this but I agree.

Lol rent free.
    Which reminds me, rent is due I don't live in people's heads for free these days so the bill is coming

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Apparently Poirier's manager is lobbying for him to take a break after the McGregor fight rather than jump straight away into a title fight with Do Bronx. He's recommending Gaethje fill the slot instead.

Gotta wonder if this isn't just a way to buy time and keep the belt off Dustin so they can run it back a fourth time with Conor once he's healed and cash in one more time before finally going title hunting.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious what kind of claim Gaethje would even have for a title shot. It should be Poirier v. Da Bronx but I guess the argument for Justin would simply be he's 4-1 in his last 5 with his 1 loss being to Khabib.

Too bad Alvarez isn't in the UFC I'd like to see him and Gaethje run that fight back in the near future.

I'd like to make an argument for Dariush but that dude hasn't defeated anyone in the top 10 but Tony in a 3 round decision.....Plus he lost to that little douchebag Alex Hernandez.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    There really is no legit argument for Gaethje other than Abdelaziz, Poirier's manager, suggesting that his fighter pass on the title opportunity for a minute. Justin's the next highest ranked LW and an opponent that Dustin's already beaten who also has their respect.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miesha Tate looked pretty good in her comeback. Might as well do the Holm rematch.

Stephens should be released. Subbed by kimura in a minute what fucking year is this?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conor's gone for a year, so Poirier absolutely will challenge for the title next. He's in that stage of his career where he wants to take time off, and he'll get a couple of months before going into camp for Oliviera. Gaethje vs. Chandler, Dariush vs. RDA, Islam vs. El Cucuy (Khabib factor), Hooker vs. Gillespie. Easy.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man that Sandhagen/Dillashaw was razor close. Tough first fight back for TJ, could've gone either way imo. That's one of those fights where the judges need the stats to make a real decision. The more the sport grows the more we'll start seeing that in judging imo.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tatiana Suarez out of her fight at UFC 266 against Dragon Ball Z's Bulma. Knee surgery.

I'll tell you what. If she can pick up where she left off, she's going to be champion.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nunes is out of 265 with covid.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a big loss but the card is still pretty solid. I was really excited to see Nunes v. Pena. Honestly was giving Pena a good shot as a lot of the unbeatables have been getting beaten more and more. Plus we still have Aldo v. Munhoz.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

How is the UK real?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is the UK real?
    Let the public decide his fate like we do in the US lol. Seriously though, this is why I find it odd that some of our friends in the UK that post here go so over the top with their approach but I get it. It's like when we had a sub in school. You acted a fool until the real teacher heard what you did then you were fucked.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cops sent to your house over memes on Twitter. #clownworld

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could replace all the people that should be out of prison for weed with all the people they want to put in prison for hurting people's feelings on a platform they can just as easily go off of if it's so toxic for their soft skin.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Looks like Gaethje v Chandler is all but signed - with that being a mere formality - and set for 268 under Usman v Covington II.

The two of them have been going round and round for a cool ass minute so it'll be nice to finally pair em off and settle their rankings a bit. Also an interesting style match up in two boxer/wrestlers who'll likely end up brawling out. Good shit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a banging start to a card. 2 absolutely rip roaring fights. Timelines might start to add up for 155 and 170 - Leon vs. Burns or Masvidal around December with Charles and Dustin set around then too - then if Gaethje and Leon win they're up next. Then you have a combination of RDA, Islam and Beneil with that winner taking the shot of Chandler wins, and the Chiesa/Luque winner fighting the other of Burns or Masvidal and earning a shot if Leon loses and they win. 155 is just grossly stacked with fun fights at the top. Ferguson vs. Hooker makes too much sense for a fun fight.

135 seems like it's Yan vs. Sterling 2 with the timeline suiting TJ getting a shot on his return from surgery. Then I guess you do Sandhagen and Font around that time, unless you want to build both and you do Font vs. Aldo/Munhoz winner (either a chance to avenge a loss or beat a legend who would be on a win streak) and rebuild Sandhagen against the loser.

Guessing Holloway vs. Jung or Rodriguez for next shot at 145, with the other fighting Arnold Allen. Middleweight seems to be Whittaker challenging Adesanya but later in the year or early next given the fights on slate already, so gives time for the Till/Brunson winner to fight either Cannonier or Costa for a shot. Light heavyweight should just be Jiri vs. Rakic in a five rounder for a shot - may seem silly blowing through a contender but Rakic couldn't draw flies to shit at the minute so no point parking him, but if he beats Jiri you can't deny him.

Heavyweight is fucked - after this weekend you'll have 3 guys with valid claims at the shot - the interim champion, the divisional GOAT and the sport GOAT. For me you run a tournament - preferably Miocic vs. Jones as well as the unification, though I wouldn't be adverse to Ngannou vs. Miocic 3 and Beast vs. Jones if that's how the chips fall. They can lowball Jon on an "easier" matchup and build to the $20million payday when he's got an interim title and therefore the PPV points. Against Gane, not so much.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact we're even having an interim HW title fight is beyond me.

It's also a shame that they couldn't find anyone on a quality streak to challenge Usman.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Vicente Luque stops Michael Chiesa on Saturday, he's probably only a win away. Would be 14-2 in his last 16 with 13 by way of finish, and the only points win would have been stopped between rounds 3 and 4 if it were a five round fight because he absolutely mangled Mike Perry's nose to the point of a doctor's stoppage. Guaranteed excitement and tough as nails. Chiesa himself would be knocking on the door too. That's a great fight. Aldo vs. Munhoz is a banger too, 2 elite leg kickers. Aldo's still got a decent amount left I think, I doubt he contends for the title again but he'll be a tough out for anybody in the top 5. Munhoz isn't elite but always brings it and will be a tough task to overcome. Green vs. Fiziev on the prelims is fun, Bobby has an interesting style but this is all about seeing if Fiziev's striking is a legit as it seems, loved watching him fight thus far but Green is crafty. Main event is a joke being for the title. Ticket sales and nothing more. But Beast is always entertaining. Gane kicks him in the body and finishes him though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there really fans out there caring MORE about Lewis/Crane because it's for the title? I don't think so. I think we can pull enough numbers to show being a title fight doesn't really matter. Mighty Mouse and Amanda Nunes are incredible, GOAT status in different divisions, but they both have some of the absolute lowest ppv numbers of all time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the obsession with PPV's being title fights, Conor aside. There's been some anomalies since (Bobby Knuckles dropping out of the Gastelum fight last minute, Yoel missing weight), but they haven't had a non-Conor, non-title card since Silva vs. Diaz! Gone are the days where they'd chuck a couple of former champions like Ace Franklin and Chuck Liddell on as headliners. I don't think there's any former champions that really have the star power of the 2006-2011 crop, so you can't really trudge out a Luke Rockhold vs. Robert Whittaker and get away with it as a PPV main event anymore. Whereas in 2011 or so, you can envision Matt Hughes vs. Rich Franklin or whatever.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Interim titles don’t matter.

Can't wait for Francis to knock his head off.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gane is really good. Ran through 3 top guys in less than 6 months. The unification fight is interesting because Gane cuts different angles to any of Francis' other opponents so you can see him avoiding getting caught flush for 5 rounds. But if he does get caught flush it's over. Or maybe it isn't, maybe his chin is the real deal like Jones and he makes it look easy like prime Jon?

Aldo still seems in his prime, he literally just lost to 1 and 2 at featherweight and 1 at bantamweight, and a coin flip loss to Moraes after his first weight cut. Written off too soon it seems. There's not the skill gap that there was during his reign but competition has improved. You can see this version being competitive with Rob Font if that's the next contender fight.

Luque is a badass. One of the best finishers in the sport and granite tough. Can finish it anywhere too. Chiesa looked the best he ever had then he got caught in a D'Arce and that was that. Hard to match up going forward, Edwards makes sense but they might bleed the last of the Masvidal juice for Leon so who knows? Might have to fight down to stay busy. I'd do Burns vs. Leon and Jorge vs. Luque but ya know, that 3 piece clip. And Luque and Burns won't fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean DL said it best, the HW division should be ashamed he's where he's at. Dude is the black Tank Abbott if there ever was one. Great personality, but come on now. Motherfucker threw 8 strikes over 3 rounds.

For me I'm not really seeing him as a threat one bit to Ngannou but I get it. Derrick Lewis is a tough fighter, doesn't get stopped very often but his losses are glaring. He's one lucky motherfucker that's for sure. You go from getting worked by Meathead and Shawn Jordan to being ranked in the top 5 of the HW Division is pretty impressive.

I'm just not that convinced with Cyril. Finished JDS, eh....Maybe 10 years ago it mattered. Honestly the whole interim thing was just lame. Dana saying it was like the WBA v. WBF or whatever the fuck....That was insulting to hear a boxing guy say that lol.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hearing him called France's first UFC champion just made me roll my eyes so hard.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still not as bad as Sterling acting like he's the GOAT.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The interim title stuff is clearly a pretty bad joke at this point. But it's toothpaste entirely out of the tube as well. It's a big pile of lame for invested fans like us who'd prefer to see a concrete continuity to the competition, on the other hand it ups the ante for many several other people.

A twat like Sterling gets more money to walk around with a title on his shoulder proclaiming himself champion while leaning full in to the heel side of this of things knowing those in the know will boo/hiss him more than they ever just kept tabs on him before. Meanwhile casuals on the fence will merely hear 'title fight' when listening in on who's fighting next Saturday and think it's the social thing to want to check it out. And all of this equates to mo money for Dana and co.

Ahh, prizefighting..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Shouldn't there be an interim title fight for Amanda's title if anything? I saw some crazy number for how many days since she's defended it, I think it was like 600?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a stretch to think Sterling's bullshit is going to parlay into anything positive. If that fight gets above 100,000 buys-if it's even on ppv-I'll give Bert my dog.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't there be an interim title fight for Amanda's title if anything? I saw some crazy number for how many days since she's defended it, I think it was like 600?
    Julianna Pena made a good point and it's not like 135 is bare bones like 145. Nunes being who she is with the resume she has is getting leeway. She's staying active but yes, BW strap hasn't been defended in almost 2 years. This is the longest anyone in the history of the UFC has gone without defending their title and an interim not being created and/or that talent being stripped.

I get the pandemic probably put a dent in some plans but holy shit, she took 2 FW title fights in a row which was odd. That's the downside of champ-champ status. You fuck one division hard, especially if the depth isn't there.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think it's a stretch to think Sterling's bullshit is going to parlay into anything positive. If that fight gets above 100,000 buys-if it's even on ppv-I'll give Bert my dog.
    I don't want your dog, mine are enough trouble.

I think it will be on a ppv though, maybe co-main, it's still a title fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want your dog, mine are enough trouble.

I think it will be on a ppv though, maybe co-main, it's still a title fight.
    Eh, we've seen title fights on Fight Nights before but I agree, it'll be on ppv as a co-main. If it's the main fight, they better have a dope undercard, maybe with Aldo/Dillashaw underneath.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see people tweeting that shit all the time when a # event is on, wow.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interim titles don’t matter.

Can't wait for Francis to knock his head off.
    He might do, it's certainly the most interesting Heavyweight title fight we've had for a while. I don't think that there can be any doubting that Cyril Gane is legit and has achieved exceptional things in a short period of time and is definitely the legit number one contender for Francis at this stage. I think that the interim title is more about filling contractual obligations either with ESPN or with the venues they are fighting at to do a certain number of title fights, but it is a whole load of nonsense.

Gane is fast, judges distance well, has a diverse attack, seems to have good fight IQ and is clearly well rounded, big and strong everywhere. Francis is an absolute wrecking ball. It'll be interesting to see how he managed to fight with someone who is able to implement a good game plan and is not dwarfed by his size and strength. If Francis can't blitz him out of there, will Gane start picking him apart. If Gane doesn't wilt, is Francis able to operate a plan B, adapt his game plan and dig in for a different type of win? If Francis goes in there swanging and banging like against Rozenstruik is he liable to get counter punched and if he does, what is Francis' chin like against a big guy. Or will Francis just catch Gane with his unworldly power and clean his clock? Dunno, looking forward to seeing it though. If it's in France I'll try to go to it too.

My biggest takeaway from this card was just how much I'm loving seeing Aldo continue to evolve and compensate for certain elements of his game that he is losing or have always been weaknesses. He is still definitely hittable and he'll give anyone a tough night over 3 rounds (when I watched his fight with Yan I actually got lost in the moment and forget it was a 5 round title fight and thought that Aldo had just shaded it over the first 3 rounds). The fight against Munhoz was a beautiful thing. Aldo looked stronger at that weight than previously, was checking calf kicks with absolute ease, looked sharp with his jabs and body work and most importantly seemed more active, but was conserving his energy better, which meant he was able to explode with more combinations in round 3, rather than being more hittable in round 3. Munhoz is a tough guy and Aldo doesn't seem to necessarily have the one punch knockout power that he had when he was only 12 years in the game rather than 17, but seeing his game continue to evolve was awesome to watch. I think that he'd beat Sterling. I'm not sure how he'd do against Sandhagen and Font, he has always struggled with long, rangey, high output fighters (frankly I don't know how Sandhagen makes the weight) and I wouldn't like to see him against Dillashaw because I think it would be a pick-em and if a blatant cheat ended Aldo's title chances it would break my heart a bit. Obviously what this means is that I don't really want Aldo to face anyone next. Maybe Cruz or Carbrandt?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bert

Did you read all that son lol? I'm always impressed with the post length of Mik and Slare.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do find it kind of interesting someone wouldn't want to see TJ v. Aldo because TJ is a "cheat" but Aldo refusing to take a drug test leading up to UFC 189 doesn't come to mind when saying that.

I want that fight but there are others Aldo could put the work on plus I think TJ might be out another 6 months.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    @Bert

Did you read all that son lol? I'm always impressed with the post length of Mik and Slare.
    Mostly.

How long is the stigma going to be attached to TJ? I mean he served his suspension and admitted he fucked up. I love Aldo, he needs to go back to leg kicks but other than that he looked great but if TJ beats him then that's the way it is.

It does seem weird how selective some people are about cheating. Will anyone care if Brock does come back to the UFC roided to the gills and had a fight at heavyweight? Did they care at all about the Mark Hunt fight? What's the difference?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly.

How long is the stigma going to be attached to TJ? I mean he served his suspension and admitted he fucked up. I love Aldo, he needs to go back to leg kicks but other than that he looked great but if TJ beats him then that's the way it is.

It does seem weird how selective some people are about cheating. Will anyone care if Brock does come back to the UFC roided to the gills and had a fight at heavyweight? Did they care at all about the Mark Hunt fight? What's the difference?
    I agree with all of this.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So bovada has lines up for potential matchups at HW for current guys versus Gable Stevenson, should he go pro mma of course. And of course he's the underdog to everyone - everyone except Derrick Lewis. He's a -115 to -105 favorite, so barely, but still.

Frankly it's hilarious for one. And for two, I'm not so sure they're wrong.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So bovada has lines up for potential matchups at HW for current guys versus Gable Stevenson, should he go pro mma of course. And of course he's the underdog to everyone - everyone except Derrick Lewis. He's a -115 to -105 favorite, so barely, but still.

Frankly it's hilarious for one. And for two, I'm not so sure they're wrong.
    I guess Gable is going to be at Summerslam. I have to believe he was named Gable after Iowa's own Dan Gable. I'm kind of learning as we go about this man.

Jack Swagger is out there trying to make a name for himself, called this dude out which was weird. Kurt Angle said something on the Austin podcast that rings true to me. He said that despite Lesnar being a NCAA champion, outsizing him, all that, there's a serious skill gap between an Olympic wrestler and a collegiate wrestler. That's why Angle was able to pretty much handle Lesnar with ease. Swagger was no fuckin joke at Oklahoma, but the pro wrestler mentality crept out when he acted like this dude couldn't take him down.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    His full name is actually Gable Dan Stevenson, so ya.

He'd ragdoll Hager. But that's the attention Hager wants. It's just whatever though as Stevenson's gonna do bigger things.

Hopefully Dana can ultimately convince him. He'll probably end up doing a combo of WWE and UFC like his big bro Brock.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His full name is actually Gable Dan Stevenson, so ya.

He'd ragdoll Hager. But that's the attention Hager wants. It's just whatever though as Stevenson's gonna do bigger things.

Hopefully Dana can ultimately convince him. He'll probably end up doing a combo of WWE and UFC like his big bro Brock.
    There you have it!

I agree with the Brock comparison.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC on ESPN 30 this weekend. Kind of a meaningless card. I barely know 3 of the fighters.

Brunson v. Till next weekend, Smith v. Spann 2 weekends after that and then UFC 266 which is looking pretty fuckin sweet headlined by Volkanovski v. Ortega with the returning Nick Diaz rematching Robbie Lawler and Valentia v. Murphy for the 125 strap. Blaydes v. Rozenstruik should be good, plus Marlon Moares and Jessica Andrade on the undercard as well.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vicious headkick by Alhassen. Seems kind of a passing of the torch night Edson and Lee losing to up and comers (in terms of name value/rankings) Rodriguez and Chikadze. Edson's in a situation where he can still win at 145/155 but he isn't consistent with the victories. But holy shit Giga is taking out some people in brutal fashion at 145. He called out Max, it might be a little early for a fight with Max but we'll see.

Solid card, some wild finishes throughout the night.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Edit: Moved it to the Boxing thread.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC 268 now has both Chandler v. Gaethje and Rose/Weili 2. IDK how I feel about Carla Esparza getting passed over for the rematch. I like the story between Rose and Carla but that could just be the wrestling fan in me. I respect the business aspect (A lot of money in China) but damn Rose and Carla coming full circle with ROSE as the champion now, wild.

Let me also just point something out, Rose isn't even 30. Holy shit. Feels like she's been fighting forever.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brunson v. Till this weekend. Leaning toward Brunson on this one.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I didn't realize how early that card was.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there a reason for the early showtime? I thought they were maybe overseas or something but naw, Vegas. It was 5pm and I hear my son go "well I just had the main event ruined" so I was thinking they were in England.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Was there a reason for the early showtime? I thought they were maybe overseas or something but naw, Vegas. It was 5pm and I hear my son go "well I just had the main event ruined" so I was thinking they were in England.
    My friend said originally it was supposed to be in the UK but it got moved to Vegas because of covid. I couldn't find anything to support that but it seems like the only thing that really makes sense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The card next weekend is a great one. Two title fights and Nick Diaz vs. Robbie Lawler. It's got depth too, with a lot of ranked fighters in the prelims to go with fighters with plenty of potential. I only commit fully to PPV's now really given how shallow a lot of the Fight Night's have been lately, but fortunately the next 4 numbered events are monsters.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it definitely feels like the rest of the year has some incredible ppvs. I think that this weekend will be legendary.