Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 115121122123124125
Results 12,401 to 12,419 of 12419

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An incredible career. IF that's the end. Which we've heard it before a million times from Frank Shamrock to GSP to even a few months ago Conor McGregor. We'll see if Cejudo and Khabib are done.

If this is it, damn impressive. Hard to argue he's not the best LW ever. The division has been deep since day one and will continue to have that extreme depth. That's why I don't see Khabib staying retired for long. Then again I could be wrong, he's not built mentally like a lot of other fighters in comparison who have said they're calling it a day.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Khabib is a man of honor, his mom doesn't want him to fight again without his dad, he won't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Life is complex though, if she sees him moping about missing the competition she might encourage him to return. Would absolutely be her call though, as you say a man of honour.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Khabib is a man of honor, his mom doesn't want him to fight again without his dad, he won't.
    We're 3 days removed from his comment let's just hold off before claiming someone is truly a man of their word. This is the same guy who said he wasn't like McGregor, then proceeded to embarrass himself, the sport, and everyone who supports him by jumping over the cage and giving Dildo Dannis the flying Eagle front kick.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It wasn't any more embarrassing than throwing a dolly at a bus.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't any more embarrassing than throwing a dolly at a bus.
    No, what happened after that fight was 100x worse. Mainly because of who did it. You have this man of God preaching to the choir about how shit McGregor is and then he goes and does that? Wasn't the fucking governor in the crowd?

What Conor did was embarrassing but it wasn't even remotely close to what Khabib did.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Khabib let Conor get under his skin. And I'd imagine he regrets it. I also imagine that if Conor had an ounce of decency then their fight would've gone like the rest of Khabib's - a smeshing of his opponent and full on sportsmanship and honor. It's unfortunate he allowed himself to be pulled into the mud like that.

I also imagine it's possible that he returns one day. But it would have to be with his mother's blessing and only with that. And I still doubt that, certainly not anytime soon. He's already spoken about how to get Makhachev prepared for a run at the title he left behind, and has his sights set on coaching and growing his community. He's clearly not interested in empty fame and needless excess of money. But maybe a bit of time passes and the wounds of his fathers' passing heal a bit and a proper challenge emerges in his absence - I suppose it's not impossible at some point.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After he beat Conor who was he calling out? Mayweather....

I think he'll come back but he could prove us wrong and stay retired. I'd have to go back and read/listen but did he actually say he was retired? He kept specifically saying it was his last fight in the UFC. Maybe he's just stepping away from the UFC and he'll get his dream match with Mayweather.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Khabib Nurmagomedov Reveals The Real Reason Why Floyd Mayweather Mega-Fight Fell Through

I think he still had Conor under his skin in the immediate aftermath and wanted to attempt to one up him as best he could, but it ultimately wasn't all worth it. He probably began to eventually move on from the whole McGregor toxicity.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It's interesting to take a look at the handful or so fighters that are generally talked about in the overall GOAT convo, and to look at where they were at in their careers had they left their gloves behind at just after turning 32 as Khabib did, and to consider in that span how many times they were beaten or even really challenged..

George St. Pierre -- 25-2 - finished vs Hughes and Serra, debatable decisions vs Penn and Hendricks

Jon Jones -- 25-1* - tight armbar vs Vitor, close decisions vs Gus and Thiago, and busted for PEDs

Fedor Emelianenko -- 29-1* - rocked hard against Fujita and Randleman, closely contested decision over Lindland

Khabib Nurmagomedov -- 29-0 - close decision vs Tibau, stunned by Johnson, tight guillotine vs Poirier

Anderson Silva -- 20-4* - decision loss to Azaredo, submission losses to Takase and Chonan, hail mary win after losing deep to Sonnen

Demetrious Johnson -- 27-3-1 - decision losses to Pickett and Cruz and Cejudo, draw vs McCall

Jose Aldo -- 27-4 - submission loss to Azevado, knockout losses to Conor and Max twice

(asterisks for losses that technically happened but aren't really viewed as having been beaten)

..and to consider that there wasn't much in the way of really improving their legacies after this point in their careers. GSP got the big win against Bisping, that's a good one. Silva and Fedor each had a couple big wins before the wheels fell off completely. DJ's gone into MMA obscurity. Jones had a win that very many people think he actually lost. And Aldo never recovered after Holloway.

Taking into account who they defeated versus how much they were challenged or beaten I've come to slot Khabib in 4th on the all-time GOAT ranking. To go so unthreatened for as long as he did is ridiculous, but he only had so many really big pelts on his wall. Jones and GSP just stood their ground so firmly through so many title defenses. Fedor's unbeaten run at freaking HW is so very remarkable. Those are the big accomplishments that keep them just above The Eagle for me.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to have the mentality that everyone is on some shit just not everyone has been caught so that way I can give Jones the nod as the GOAT. I think I have to go with your top 4. GSP, Jones, Fedor, Khabib.

I think Jones makes a really good point about himself and GSP with the level of talent they fought for so long and the # of title defenses, I do think that puts you in a different bracket. What I wanted to see from Khabib was a fight with Tony, rematch with at least DP and McGregor, move up to 170 on and off.

If this is it, what a career.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't mind him not going to 170. That'd be super interesting, but I don't think it's necessary for GOAT status.

What would've been super cool would be if the original Khabib/Ferg fight had happend in 2016 and he'd won and he perhaps we see him face Anthony Pettis and/or Eddie Alvarez for that part of his career instead of Darrell Horcher and Michael Johnson. He defeats them on top of what we got and it might be enough to put him at the very top.

But ah well, we got what we got and best LW ever, top 4 all-time, and retired as the champ and p4p #1. Talk about honoring his father, yikes..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of GOAT's, Anderson Silva making the walk one last time on Saturday. At least the match up with Uriah Hall should be fun enough like that fight against Adesanya. Hall is enough of a mental case to let Anderson into the fight. I like Uriah enough but would love the Spider to ride off into the sunset with a win.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sounds like it's just his last UFC fight, not his last fight period.

I just hope he doesn't go to BKFC.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Speaking of GOAT's, Anderson Silva making the walk one last time on Saturday. At least the match up with Uriah Hall should be fun enough like that fight against Adesanya. Hall is enough of a mental case to let Anderson into the fight. I like Uriah enough but would love the Spider to ride off into the sunset with a win.
    My personal GOAT, Anderson Silva, prime Anderson Silva was the most entertaining, dangerous dude in all of MMA. Hall came out TUF as one of many next Anderson Silva's (Remember when Dana called Philipe Nover the next Anderson? He also said Rose Namajunas was the female Anderson....) I do not want to see Anderson knocked the fuck out of orbit, I want him to destroy Hall and call it a day.

Sounds like it's just his last UFC fight, not his last fight period.

I just hope he doesn't go to BKFC.
    It should be his last regardless. God damn if he went to do bare knuckle he'd be stupid as fuck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a fighter. He's got himself in fight shape and fancies himself as a force again. I imagine if he gets beat he'll retire, but a win will have him fancying another go of it I'm sure. It's all he has known most of his life.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I just don't think he wants to have his head in a space where being done is the prime real estate. He's focused on competing and re-evaluating after. Even if he knows it should be farewell he also knows it isn't necessary to sign off just yet. He's a life-long fighter, it shouldn't be a surprise he doesn't want to think so much about not fighting.

Genuinely hope he doesn't go out on his back.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he should get decapitated so he can recognize he's not the guy he was 10 years ago. Sadly it's better said than done. At 45 and 1 win that wasn't that great in fuck knows how many years....I guess look at BJ. I'm sure he'll fight again too. I'm sure Ken Shamrock is about to take a fight in Bellator.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lawler is out of his fight with Mike Perry which sucks because I was really hoping Lawler would end this man's career for us. Perry is calling for Hazmat to fill the slot, at Middleweight.