User Tag List

Page 120 of 137 FirstFirst ... 110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast
Results 11,901 to 12,000 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it 3-2 Joanna, but could see it going the other way. I also thought JJ won the Rose rematch, even though I wanted Rose to win. Zhang is an interesting puzzle though, big, strong, powerful, carries that power until the end of the fight, she fast and despite a dip in 3 and 4, she came out looking good in 5 too. And that’s against the cardio machine of the division. It would be interesting to see who she fights next.

I gave Izzi 3 rounds comfortably. I’m not sure what fight Romero thought he was winning doing barely anything the whole fight. He pushed the pace for the last two minutes after spending nearly the whole fight blocking and potshotting and made out like he was being a gladiator the whole fight. I don't think Izzi vs Costa looks anything like that.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dustin Poirier v. Dan Hooker is being targeted for May 16 in San Diego, CA.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooker fighting too soon after a war, but if he fancies it then fair enough. Great fight if they're both healthy.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Hooker fighting too soon after a war, but if he fancies it then fair enough. Great fight if they're both healthy.
    I thought it was a quick turnaround. Dustin's been off since September, Hooker will have 2+ months. And like you said it was a war, not some flash KO in 21 seconds.

I'm not super familiar with Hooker as he kind of climbed up the ranks over the last 2-3 years where I've dipped out quite a bit compared to my early 30's. I do remember seeing his loss to Barboza and the Vick win. Could be a blast.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooker's a badass. Iron chinned, 8 limb striker with good submissions. Incapable of having a bad fight. Poirier has more power, better technique but probably a lesser chin, and the momentum's with Hooker at the minute. I expect Dustin to win but the form book makes it interesting. Always difficult to come back at your best after a crushing defeat.

Brazil card this weekend is a good one. Oliveira vs. Lee on top is an excellent fight between two finishes, Oliveira of course being one of the greatest finishers in the sport's history. Both have a load of subs on the record and have put work in the stand up game, coming off knockout wins. Lee's on Gillespie was a monster. The read on Oliveira throughout his career is that he crumbles under pressure, but not so much lately. Read on Lee is that his output wains late and he succumbs to submission. So that would suggest Lee early or Charles late, but Charles has 6 finishes in his last 6 fights, all inside 2 rounds! Gonna be a banger. Leaning Lee by knockout, he's excellent early and feel he'll get it done against somebody with durability questions. Ferguson, RDA and Iaquinta are all ridiculously durable, a huge reason why they beat Lee.

Maia vs. Burns co-main. Maia is is suddenly in the thick of things again. We know what he does. The parallel here is the Gunnar Nelson fight as Burns comes in with great BJJ to theoretically cancel out Maia's strength, and has the better striking. Breaks down to the Burns TDD. Probably good enough, but Demian is so crafty, anybody that gets top position against a wrestler like Ben Askren is an elite grapple. Leaning Burns on points, but would love a Maia win. Lovely bloke.

Elsewhere, ranked 145er Moicano gets what looks like a gimme in his 155 debut, Johnny Walker vs. Nikita Krylov in a shoe in one round slugfest, and Brandon Moreno vs. Jussier Formiga in a possible #1 contender's fight at flyweight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooker's a badass. Iron chinned, 8 limb striker with good submissions. Incapable of having a bad fight. Poirier has more power, better technique but probably a lesser chin, and the momentum's with Hooker at the minute. I expect Dustin to win but the form book makes it interesting. Always difficult to come back at your best after a crushing defeat.

Brazil card this weekend is a good one. Oliveira vs. Lee on top is an excellent fight between two finishes, Oliveira of course being one of the greatest finishers in the sport's history. Both have a load of subs on the record and have put work in the stand up game, coming off knockout wins. Lee's on Gillespie was a monster. The read on Oliveira throughout his career is that he crumbles under pressure, but not so much lately. Read on Lee is that his output wains late and he succumbs to submission. So that would suggest Lee early or Charles late, but Charles has 6 finishes in his last 6 fights, all inside 2 rounds! Gonna be a banger. Leaning Lee by knockout, he's excellent early and feel he'll get it done against somebody with durability questions. Ferguson, RDA and Iaquinta are all ridiculously durable, a huge reason why they beat Lee.

Maia vs. Burns co-main. Maia is is suddenly in the thick of things again. We know what he does. The parallel here is the Gunnar Nelson fight as Burns comes in with great BJJ to theoretically cancel out Maia's strength, and has the better striking. Breaks down to the Burns TDD. Probably good enough, but Demian is so crafty, anybody that gets top position against a wrestler like Ben Askren is an elite grapple. Leaning Burns on points, but would love a Maia win. Lovely bloke.

Elsewhere, ranked 145er Moicano gets what looks like a gimme in his 155 debut, Johnny Walker vs. Nikita Krylov in a shoe in one round slugfest, and Brandon Moreno vs. Jussier Formiga in a possible #1 contender's fight at flyweight.
    Burns made a bold statement saying he was going to submit Maia. I think it would say a lot about his skill level if he pulled that off. Maia might be getting up there in age, but I believe he's still the best submission fighter on the roster, maybe the sport.

Lee v. Oliveira should be good. I don't see it being boring and I'm leaning toward Lee. Definitely looking forward to Walker v. Krylov.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way Maia gets subbed is if it's a choke after getting badly stung. He's one of the most durable fighters of all time though. The hours he's put in that cage, against the people he's fought, since his last stoppage loss is remarkable. Masvidal is a killer but he could get fuck all off against Maia.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael Chiesa tweeted out about how if Khabib v. Ferguson gets cancelled due to the coronavirus then this fight is truly cursed. I agree 100%. We're still a month out but I don't see this situation getting any better any time soon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The event in Brazil on Saturday is being held behind closed doors. Apparently revenue for live gates are insignificant compared to the knock of not delivering live content for ESPN, so they can take the knock. I can only see it being the last UFC for the foreseeable future, but there's a hope that Ferguson and Khabib is far enough away that it could be the "relaunch" as it were. Has to be considered doubtful, though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The event in Brazil on Saturday is being held behind closed doors. Apparently revenue for live gates are insignificant compared to the knock of not delivering live content for ESPN, so they can take the knock. I can only see it being the last UFC for the foreseeable future, but there's a hope that Ferguson and Khabib is far enough away that it could be the "relaunch" as it were. Has to be considered doubtful, though.
    It's wild. As a father I want to be as cautious as I possibly can but holy fuck. I mean, we've had viruses that were just as if not more deadly in the last 20 years, shit in the last couple years, and the world didn't respond this way. It's mind blowing, kinda scary, hoping for the best. It's not the end of the world by any means but it would be nice to have something substantial aside from going "7.5 billion people on earth, 2,000 deaths, we lose more people in a less amount of time than this this and this".

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's our elderly and terminally ill that are at risk, but our generation and our offspring can carry and spread it if not cautious. I don't want a proverbial body on my record because I went to a packed concert or whatever and caught it.

They've moved the Ngannou card on the 28th to their version of the performance centre. Possibility they could do that with Khabib vs. Tony, but it just takes a case in the camp of the fighters and that's that. Just postpone UFC and come back with a few triple header title fights back to back to back.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's our elderly and terminally ill that are at risk, but our generation and our offspring can carry and spread it if not cautious. I don't want a proverbial body on my record because I went to a packed concert or whatever and caught it.

They've moved the Ngannou card on the 28th to their version of the performance centre. Possibility they could do that with Khabib vs. Tony, but it just takes a case in the camp of the fighters and that's that. Just postpone UFC and come back with a few triple header title fights back to back to back.
    When aren't those people at risk? They could get countless diseases and viruses. It's very strange and disturbing because in a twisted way I hope this was all worth it.

So we get some delays, the world moves on after we're all homeless and can't make a living because of mass hysteria. I guess we'll find out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're always at risk of injury when we get in a car, doesn't mean we shouldn't wear a seatbelt.

Kevin Lee missed weight for the fight tomorrow. He needs that 165lb division pronto.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're always at risk of injury when we get in a car, doesn't mean we shouldn't wear a seatbelt.

Kevin Lee missed weight for the fight tomorrow. He needs that 165lb division pronto.
    1st part. Of course man, nobody is saying if you're real sick go start coughing all over everyone who isn't. But for people to pretend like this is the only virus out there in the present day that is a risk for the elderly, people with weak immune systems, etc. it's just feeding the hysteria. It's making people only look at the negatives and not educate themselves and watch what is going on.

You know, people were quick to freak out because China had 80,000 cases, yet when you find out 90% of those people are fine, 9% we don't have the results, and 1% died due to various factors.....I don't know. People say "Follow the scientists and doctors", some of us are, others pretend they are.

Kevin Lee......Yeah I mean if you can't make 155 and the only option is to go to 170, stop killing yourself for that potential size advantage and go to WW. It's that simple really. Look at Kelvin. Look at Rumble Johnson for fuck's sake lol. Imagine Rumble coming back to 170, 185 lol. He'd be dead.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UFC is oddly carrying on through this pandemic, trying to fulfill all existing dates. The one in London is still on the cards, but being moved to an undisclosed location. The logistics are mind boggling.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next 3 UFC events postponed. Khabib v. Tony on April 18th still a go but I imagine it's going to be where Kurt fought Tong Po. Statement from DW:

My Crew

This has been a crazy couple of weeks.We’ve been doing everything possible to stick to our live events schedule because the fighters want to fight, our employees want to work, and the fans want to watch our sport.So many people have reached out over the past few days to say thanks for not canceling our Brasilia event on Saturday.

When weird things happen in the world, or when there’s a tragedy, like the October 1 shooting, people want things to get back to normal, and nothing feels more normal than watching sports.

We did everything we could to relocate our next three events– London, Columbus, and Portland. But every day, there are new restrictions put in place on travel and large public gatherings that are making it impossible to stay on schedule. We can’t even hold an event in Vegas, our home town, because there’s a ban on all combat sports events in Nevada until at least March 25.

As you heard me say, I’ve been in the fight game for 20 years, and this is what we do—we find a way to keep our events going no matter what. If fighters miss weight, if fighters get hurt, or if states won’t regulate us, we figure out a way. But this is different. The whole world is being affected right now, and nothing is more important than the health and safety of you and your families.

That’s why we are closing all UFC offices effective immediately, including HQ in Vegas, through at least March 31st, and asking all employees to work from home. The PI will also be closed to all personnel, including athletes, during this time. The next three events– London, Columbus, and Portland—will be postponed. UFC 249 is still scheduled as planned, but the location may change. We’ll keep you posted.

I tell you guys all the time, you are the BEST TO EVER DO IT. It feels shitty now, but WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS, and we’ll be TOUGHER, STRONGER, AND MORE BADASS than before.Right now, the number one priority is to take care of yourselves and your family.

Finally, I want you to know that UFC has your back. If you or any member of your family is showing symptoms of coronavirus and you’re having trouble getting to a doctor, please reach out to me, Lawrence, or Hunter.

Thanks,
    Dana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Dana is still saying Khabib vs. Tony goes ahead with 10 people max present. Khabib, Tony, 3 judges and a referee take up 6 spots, all absolutely essential. I've heard Ben Askren say the judges could be from a remote location but that would put the validity of the contest into question. So, how do we cram commentators, Dana himself, cornermen, cameraman, medical personnel and presumably somebody from an athletic commission into four open slots? Then there's the whole selling a PPV on literally one fight. Presumably commentators are the most expendable of suggested attendees, so you can't have them cage side to build it. Just confusing as shit. It's done, but nobody's told Dana and he's putting his fingers in his ears and calling people wimps.

I think we all know money talks. The UFC need to make ESPN some of that money back. There will be pressure to make Khabib vs. Conor as soon as this is over. Khabib will be on Ramadan most likely. It's gonna be Conor vs. Tony for the interim title on the pretence that Khabib was unavailable to defend, like that absurd Colby/RDA one. Better style match up for Conor, then if he wins it's the legit biggest fight of all time on their hands with the unification angle and being the clear 1 and 2.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Dana is still saying Khabib vs. Tony goes ahead with 10 people max present. Khabib, Tony, 3 judges and a referee take up 6 spots, all absolutely essential. I've heard Ben Askren say the judges could be from a remote location but that would put the validity of the contest into question. So, how do we cram commentators, Dana himself, cornermen, cameraman, medical personnel and presumably somebody from an athletic commission into four open slots? Then there's the whole selling a PPV on literally one fight. Presumably commentators are the most expendable of suggested attendees, so you can't have them cage side to build it. Just confusing as shit. It's done, but nobody's told Dana and he's putting his fingers in his ears and calling people wimps.

I think we all know money talks. The UFC need to make ESPN some of that money back. There will be pressure to make Khabib vs. Conor as soon as this is over. Khabib will be on Ramadan most likely. It's gonna be Conor vs. Tony for the interim title on the pretence that Khabib was unavailable to defend, like that absurd Colby/RDA one. Better style match up for Conor, then if he wins it's the legit biggest fight of all time on their hands with the unification angle and being the clear 1 and 2.
    It's going to be like Kickboxer 2.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones you stupid son of a bitch

https://m.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-...Firearm-172003

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones doing Jon Jones things. Slap on the wrist again I imagine, until he kills someone.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones doing Jon Jones things. Slap on the wrist again I imagine, until he kills someone.
    Money can you get you a long way but I think the firearm is going to be what fucks him. You never know. I doubt with everything going on in the world centered around the coronavirus that he probably won't be going to prison anytime soon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's denied negligible use, if he's got a permit he'll have a good enough lawyer to settle with a bit of community service. It's a joke though, particularly at this time. What if this cunt crashes into another pregnant woman and she can't get treatment due to the stretched circumstances?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's denied negligible use, if he's got a permit he'll have a good enough lawyer to settle with a bit of community service. It's a joke though, particularly at this time. What if this cunt crashes into another pregnant woman and she can't get treatment due to the stretched circumstances?
    I have a feeling the way we feel about Jon Jones is how the older generation felt about Tyson. Jon Jones the fighter, I could watch all fucking day. Jon Jones the man, scumbag.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's a question of what could have been with Tyson though, as his problems definitely crossed over to the sport with the Douglas loss amidst alleged complacency and the Holyfield debacle. Jones has managed to remain pretty much unblemished his top flight career and will be remembered as the best fighter certainly of the 10's if not of all time (obviously at this point the latter applies).

Dana still saying UFC 249 is on, 3 weeks until weigh in day, with no fucker knowing where it's going to be. Surely today is the cut off to get it done?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's a question of what could have been with Tyson though, as his problems definitely crossed over to the sport with the Douglas loss amidst alleged complacency and the Holyfield debacle. Jones has managed to remain pretty much unblemished his top flight career and will be remembered as the best fighter certainly of the 10's if not of all time (obviously at this point the latter applies).

Dana still saying UFC 249 is on, 3 weeks until weigh in day, with no fucker knowing where it's going to be. Surely today is the cut off to get it done?
    I guess my Tyson comparison isn't so much what could have been as much as it is the guy people at the time considered the GOAT and his personal life crossing into his professional life and how it just all went to shit for the most part.

Dana and Vince McMahon should just fuck each other and get it over with lol. And now I'm hearing Khabib v. Tony is pretty much getting the nail in the coffin due to flight restrictions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khabib is out due to being stuck in Russia and Dana STILL hasn't called the event off . Now everybody from Poirier, Masvidal and Woodley is putting their hands up saying they'll take a fight. I love this sport, complete set of maniacs.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khabib is out due to being stuck in Russia and Dana STILL hasn't called the event off . Now everybody from Poirier, Masvidal and Woodley is putting their hands up saying they'll take a fight. I love this sport, complete set of maniacs.
    I think Dana and Vince are under the impression that they're going to be this beacon of hope, where people will be like THANK GOD FOR THE UFC AND WWE! When in reality, even the most die hard fans of the companies will be ok with these events not happening until later.

The one upside to the UFC is that, from a fan watching, unlike the WWE you don't really need the crowd to be super hot. It helps, no doubt, but with MMA I think it's better for the fighter to feed off that live crowd. With wrestling, fans being attendance are a must. We learned back in the 90's when the nWo would do those weird Saturday night matches where there were no fans, Syxx was the cameraman, it was so lame. Probably why they only did maybe 3-4 of those segments lol.

So I don't know....Part of me agrees with Dana about certain things surrounding what is going on in the world but the other part of me just doesn't see the point. Khabib v. Tony Ferguson, for what is now a 6th time, has been fucked. It's almost a sick joke, like we are literally not supposed to see this fight go down. Ever. The last time was almost the most ridiculous and unfortunate, now it's just getting biblical with the moves being made to stop this fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khabib's officially out, 15 days until weigh ins, no location, no main event, but Dana is still insistent the card goes ahead! Just call it off and relaunch by opening Raiders Stadium with Conor vs. Gaethje, Usman vs. Masvidal, Adesanya vs. Costa, Colby vs. Woodley and Edgar vs. Cruz. Then do Khabib vs. Ferguson in September considering Ramadan. DC and Volk double header in August.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Card getting announced today according to Dana. Likely happening on Indian reservation ground or some shit. Mad bastard.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Card getting announced today according to Dana. Likely happening on Indian reservation ground or some shit. Mad bastard.
    How many fighters who lose will blame the lack of crowd? I'm serious. Some fighters feed off that shit when it's positive...but others let it get to them when it's negative so who knows. The shit is going to come across like some old school underground fight club.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't see what the point is. I'd hankering for some UFC of course. But these guys cannot possibly be training properly, can't be sparring, probably aren't at their peak fitness. If any of them get injured and have to go to the hospital...why are we wasting hospital workers at this time on people who got injured fighting? They are all going to be travelling to get to the fight, quite probably on airlines. It's all just a bit ridiculous.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mad isn't it. It'll take one positive case in the extended UFC family, when you consider how far that tree extends, to cause huge damage to the organisation. Just to air some fights? Fucking crazy. It's all secret location stuff as well to stop the media shutting it down I guess. He's literally shuffling guys in through a hole in the bottom of a fence to fight 3 five minute rounds.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    How about a private island..

..with 'fights every week'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing. UFC becomes Bloodsport officially. What an incredible lunatic. I mean I'm watching the shit out of all of it, but it's hard to comprehend why any of this is happening. Other than that people will watch it. I guess that's enough for Dana.

The card is an absolute banger by the way. I'm glad medical professionals have fuck all else going on to help some of these mad cunts if something goes wrong. Luque vs. Price has dual hospitalization written all over it!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So they'd operate under no athletic commission at all then?

Hmm.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muthafuckin BODOG!!!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rose has dropped out.

UFC 250 is pretty much toast. 7 fighters including Jose Aldo, Shogun, and Lil Nog can't compete in the US due to visa issues.

Time to get that UFC Island Edition going asap.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Enter the Dragon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ESPN and Disney have pulled the plug on all upcoming cards. That backlash. I hope everybody that's had long camps get full compensation for this going a good 4 weeks past its sell by date.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ESPN and Disney have pulled the plug on all upcoming cards. That backlash. I hope everybody that's had long camps get full compensation for this going a good 4 weeks past its sell by date.
    They will. And if they don't we'll for sure read about it on Twitter within days.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony's probably gone fucking bananas. At least this means he'll definitely get that full title shot next, Justin was a dangerous fight considering he'd lose big if Justin beat him. Dana's going on about this fight island nonsense but it just isn't plausible amidst this pandemic, so fights are off for the foreseeable. The positive of course being that once they're back, presumably July at the earliest, pretty much every single fighter will be ready to fight by then. Khabib and the others partaking in Ramadan will be late August, but still pretty close. So there's no timing excuses to book the absolute right fights per division out of the gate.

In a 3-4 month period we're going to get so many ridiculously good fights. There's a good chance there will be big title fights on regular TV, or constant triple title PPV's. Until then, plenty of shit on Netflix to watch knowing everybody's doing their bit to stop this thing going on much longer.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony's probably gone fucking bananas. At least this means he'll definitely get that full title shot next, Justin was a dangerous fight considering he'd lose big if Justin beat him. Dana's going on about this fight island nonsense but it just isn't plausible amidst this pandemic, so fights are off for the foreseeable. The positive of course being that once they're back, presumably July at the earliest, pretty much every single fighter will be ready to fight by then. Khabib and the others partaking in Ramadan will be late August, but still pretty close. So there's no timing excuses to book the absolute right fights per division out of the gate.

In a 3-4 month period we're going to get so many ridiculously good fights. There's a good chance there will be big title fights on regular TV, or constant triple title PPV's. Until then, plenty of shit on Netflix to watch knowing everybody's doing their bit to stop this thing going on much longer.
    I've had Hulu for like 3 years and discovered around Christmas that they have a bunch of UFC stuff that aired on Spike. Even some random TUF seasons like the Penn-Edgar season, I think the Rousey-Tate season might be on there as well, they only have like 3 seasons. They have a bunch of UFC Unleashed shows and even some newer stuff that talks about big fights over the last 10-15 years.

Now, if there was only a way to find those old Pride shows that were hosted by Jay Glazier, Bas Rutten, Frank Trigg, etc. Those were my introductions to Pride, I think it aired on Fox Sports I'm not 100% sure.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over here BT Sport are showing 2 UFC PPV's a night, started around 156 I think and up to 192 or so now I think, Cormier vs. Gustafsson tonight. 189 was on a couple of nights ago, for me the best show they've ever put on. Rory vs. Lawler might be the greatest fight of the last 5 years, but Bermudez vs. Stephen's and Almeida vs. Pickett were absolute wars too. Throw in Conor's true star making performance against Mendes and Gunnar Nelson running through Brandon Thatch and it's an absolute classic.

TUF became unwatchable to me once the talent thinned out. Those first 2 seasons, and the 5th, provided so much talent. Hard to forget how right they got the first season. 5 future title challengers, including 1 who won the title, as well as Leben, Swick and Bonnar who all ended up main eventing numbered shows too. Sam Hoger wasn't bad either, just had really tough matchmaking.

Tell a lie actually, the 135/145 season just after they merged the WEC was great. Bermudez, Brandao, Dodson and Dillashaw as finalists, all had fine UFC careers.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over here BT Sport are showing 2 UFC PPV's a night, started around 156 I think and up to 192 or so now I think, Cormier vs. Gustafsson tonight. 189 was on a couple of nights ago, for me the best show they've ever put on. Rory vs. Lawler might be the greatest fight of the last 5 years, but Bermudez vs. Stephen's and Almeida vs. Pickett were absolute wars too. Throw in Conor's true star making performance against Mendes and Gunnar Nelson running through Brandon Thatch and it's an absolute classic.

TUF became unwatchable to me once the talent thinned out. Those first 2 seasons, and the 5th, provided so much talent. Hard to forget how right they got the first season. 5 future title challengers, including 1 who won the title, as well as Leben, Swick and Bonnar who all ended up main eventing numbered shows too. Sam Hoger wasn't bad either, just had really tough matchmaking.

Tell a lie actually, the 135/145 season just after they merged the WEC was great. Bermudez, Brandao, Dodson and Dillashaw as finalists, all had fine UFC careers.
    The last season of TUF I watched was the 2nd Redemption season where it was like Jesse Taylor and other former TUF guys. It sucked lol. Honestly if it wasn't for some of the coach shenanigans I probably would have dipped out sooner. I wasn't a fan of the 2 MMA camps against each other season. The one where it was live kind of sucked.

In terms of the later ones, I think McGregor v. Faber had some of the best back and forth between coaches and it wasn't even hostile. But the fights....oh man, some of the fights really fuckin sucked and you're right, the talent wasn't exactly there. I think that's because of the MMA boom. So many different promotions, quite a few with a solid presence and fanbase.

The early seasons though, fucking priceless. I remember Season 1 would come on right after Raw and I wouldn't watch it because I had saw The Contender and thought it was lame. Plus I wasn't about reality tv at all. About 3 episodes in my friend tells me to watch Chris Leben and when I saw what the show was about I started digging it. Just seeing them train and Chuck and Randy there was awesome. I was glad they stopped doing the call outs because my God Diego fought like 80 times on the first season. The tournament style was a very smart move.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw that 249 has been postponed. Fucking good! Shame it took Disney and ESPN themselves pulling the plug for Dana White to stop putting all of his fighters at risk.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a shame they let it drag on long enough for the fighters to presumably budget for their show and win. Hopefully they'll be looked after. Fights can wait, and they're going to be awesome - everybody healthy and on the same timeline.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how do we see them going about business for when they return? The inevitability is likely lockdown rules being gradually relaxed, leading to empty arena shows to start with - with no guarantees of arenas full of people this year in my eyes. I just can't see it without a widely available vaccine. But MMA, being a sport with minimal cross contact as opposed to sports like basketball and American football, as well as the home vs. away angle being less pronounced, lead me to think promoters would be happy enough to proceed without an audience. That can obviously only happen when the global curve of the virus is under control, which is nowhere close at the minute. So for me, and I'm no expert, I see fights coming back in July/August and audiences returning maybe in March/April. Dana's chatting absolute shit over this fight island stuff, no chance fighters fuck off to some island away from their families for at least a month to fight for 12k/12k. It's just not remotely plausible, and it's stupid. But that's Dana, who obviously hates his wife and kids so much that he wants out of the house as soon as possible.

Basically, I think there's a likelihood that every fighter will have a ruck in front of nobody at some point this year, exceptions probably being McGregor and Diaz who have enough money not to bother. Though I guess they could have them fight in Dubai or something if they get everything in order. Khabib vs. Ferguson gets Labor Day weekend, maybe first fight back, at the APEX.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighters could and have refused to take part in any events. The idea that Dana was somehow figuratively holding fighters hostage forcing them against their will to perform like circus animals....eh it just feels so 2008 keep pointing fingers at JUST Dana White. Dana has a master, and those masters pulled the plug.

I'm sure ESPN and Disney appreciated his attempts but ultimately it was on them not Dana. Dana isn't going to hold fights on pirate radio.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, though. Fighting is their family's main source of income, with no guarantee of any compensation if they don't turn up to fight. It's why a guy like Khabib didn't move heaven and earth to take this fight, and why a guy like Vicente Luque will take it on a weeks notice. The need for money. Jacare had the most profound interview of the whole situation, basically saying he was scared but needed to feed his kids.

I agree that ESPN and Disney were as much to blame as Dana for it carrying on past the point of farce. They indulged him then made him the fall guy when the backlash was about to come to their door. Obviously Dana being the ringleader was getting the brunt, but once ESPN started advertising it I think the media outlets and government were starting to point the gun that way.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, though. Fighting is their family's main source of income, with no guarantee of any compensation if they don't turn up to fight. It's why a guy like Khabib didn't move heaven and earth to take this fight, and why a guy like Vicente Luque will take it on a weeks notice. The need for money. Jacare had the most profound interview of the whole situation, basically saying he was scared but needed to feed his kids.

I agree that ESPN and Disney were as much to blame as Dana for it carrying on past the point of farce. They indulged him then made him the fall guy when the backlash was about to come to their door. Obviously Dana being the ringleader was getting the brunt, but once ESPN started advertising it I think the media outlets and government were starting to point the gun that way.
    Right but what I'm saying is that Dana isn't forcing anyone to do anything. Many fighters have said no thanks, we'll wait. Leon Edwards. Is this guy super wealthy and can afford to not fight? I doubt it. I mean fuck if JACARE doesn't have enough money put away after 10-15 years of fighting, majority of it for top organizations, then that says more about the way they handle their finances than anything.

So again, I don't see how Dana White is to blame. He's not forcing fighters, he's not saying fuck ESPN I'll just air my fights on Fight Pass! If you're allowing him to move forward why shouldn't he?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that simple, is it? He's probably got a mortgage like everybody else, budgeted on the premise of fighting a couple of times a year. Leon would have fought if he was given assurances that he'd be home to see his kids anytime soon too.

He was scheduling a non-essential activity that necessitates gatherings of more than that allowed, without the clearance of an athletic commission, in a sport that requires medical supervision for its combatants during a time where healthcare workers are stretched to their limits. Plenty of logistical, ethical problems with Dana's mindset in carrying on. It wasn't as cut and dry a decision as any other sporting organisation though, as the athletes aren't covered by a salary so cancelling events will lead to a lot of financial hardship. A backup in the NBA is going to be covered, but if MMA is gone for the year a Shane Burgos is fucked for money.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't have that many athletes, they earn an absolute ton of profit every year, they should pay people to not fight during this unprecedented global pandemic. Maybe if the fighters had fucking unionised this is something that they could've negotiated instead of applauding Dana White for trying to do everything he can to keep them fighting as that was the only way they will earn their money otherwise. I bet if anything the UFC is making MORE profit now as they are probably still getting paid more or less the same from ESPN, but are no longer paying all their 'contractors'.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Money is wrapped up in credit though, isn't it. Revenue creates the equity to pay fighters. This stupid world we live in. The ideal is that Ari Emmanuel and Dana White give up a chunk of their wealth to pay the people that help them accumulate it, but it just isn't realistic. Sociopaths control such a gigantic amount of the world's wealth. The fighters, and wrestlers, categorically must unionize after all of this. They are just not protected at all.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how pro wrestlers would unionize, in terms of the structure. I don't know jackshit about Hollywood but is there a union for actors? I know there is for non-actors like writers for example but I wasn't sure how it works for actors.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hollywood has the Screen Actors Guild still, merged with another company in 2012. I know David Starr is trying to sort out a union for independent wrestlers, essentially at GoFundMe level I believe. I think people are generally covered if they're under contract with WWE and AEW, until they're released of course.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hollywood has the Screen Actors Guild still, merged with another company in 2012. I know David Starr is trying to sort out a union for independent wrestlers, essentially at GoFundMe level I believe. I think people are generally covered if they're under contract with WWE and AEW, until they're released of course.
    Ah ok I should have just googled that because I was thinking of the Screen Actors Guild but wasn't 100% what that even was lol.

David Starr...Yeah good luck buddy. I follow him on social media and his heart is in the right place but it's going to be damn near impossible to form a union on the indies. What he's doing is some straight up ghetto approach but it's realistically the only way to do it. It's like trying to form a union for community playhouse actors. Watch, they probably have one lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I like Starr, very articulate and a fundamentally decent bloke.

With WWE resuming a live schedule, Dana's going to push for Florida to host events isn't he?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I like Starr, very articulate and a fundamentally decent bloke.

With WWE resuming a live schedule, Dana's going to push for Florida to host events isn't he?
    I saw that about the WWE and thought the same thing about the UFC and other MMA organizations. Florida has quite a few local promotions and one of the biggest MMA camps in the world.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it didn't take him long. May 9th is his target return date, and is saying the Apex in Vegas and the fight island will be ready in May too. Vince paying off the Florida government has opened the floodgates it seems. Your president being a stupid mad cunt too, he'll loosen lockdown restrictions just to stick it to the media.

Card the same as 249, with the bottom 5 fights and Andrade vs. Rose replaced by Cejudo vs. Cruz for the BW title, Nunes vs. Spencer for the WFW title, Cerrone vs. Pettis 2, Werdum vs. Oleinik, Waterson vs. Esparza and Mitchell vs. Rosa. Chasing those WME loan repayments.

Watching a GSP interview with Ariel, makes me sad I was never a fan. What a great guy. I cheered fucking Koscheck over him!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it didn't take him long. May 9th is his target return date, and is saying the Apex in Vegas and the fight island will be ready in May too. Vince paying off the Florida government has opened the floodgates it seems. Your president being a stupid mad cunt too, he'll loosen lockdown restrictions just to stick it to the media.

Card the same as 249, with the bottom 5 fights and Andrade vs. Rose replaced by Cejudo vs. Cruz for the BW title, Nunes vs. Spencer for the WFW title, Cerrone vs. Pettis 2, Werdum vs. Oleinik, Waterson vs. Esparza and Mitchell vs. Rosa. Chasing those WME loan repayments.

Watching a GSP interview with Ariel, makes me sad I was never a fan. What a great guy. I cheered fucking Koscheck over him!
    Just the idea of FIGHT ISLAND makes me warm inside. Still not a fan of the fights going on so it'll be hard to get pumped for it. Especially when Waterson v. Esparza are on the card. The whole card so far is bananas. Probably the only time I'll be cheering for Dom Cruz lol.

Not a fan of GSP? At all??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all just ridiculous isn't it, but Trump will be adamant to get you guys back to normal before you're ready. The Vince stuff is testament to that.

Yeah, I think it's because he was the epitome of a professional, and in a sport of lunatics I thought he was disingenuous. I was wrong, he's just a great fucking guy.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all just ridiculous isn't it, but Trump will be adamant to get you guys back to normal before you're ready. The Vince stuff is testament to that.

Yeah, I think it's because he was the epitome of a professional, and in a sport of lunatics I thought he was disingenuous. I was wrong, he's just a great fucking guy.

That GSP comment reminds me of the new Mr Rogers movie where the guy just can't fathom Fred Rogers is genuinely who we see on tv....and when he finds out he really is that guy, it bothers him even more lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Money is wrapped up in credit though, isn't it. Revenue creates the equity to pay fighters. This stupid world we live in. The ideal is that Ari Emmanuel and Dana White give up a chunk of their wealth to pay the people that help them accumulate it, but it just isn't realistic. Sociopaths control such a gigantic amount of the world's wealth. The fighters, and wrestlers, categorically must unionize after all of this. They are just not protected at all.
    Fuck a union.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guessing they announce something in the next couple of days for 249. If they're not looking at getting 2 weeks of hype videos during The Last Stand commercials, they've lost their touch. Nunes is out of that fight but I'm guessing they'll plug in another fight from the previously cancelled card, Borg vs. Vera or whatever. Happening in Jacksonville apparently. Crazy that it's going on, but Vince going ahead has made it possible. I just hope if the location is made public that the fucking roads around the arena are closed off, to stop the ridiculous congregating seen when other sports were played behind closed doors. Admittedly MMA is far less tribal, but still it's a risk. But so is holding the event in the first place, so there's that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the card is confirmed, with the backing of ESPN and the government and athletic commissions of Florida. Not only that but they'll be running the Wednesday and following Saturday too in the same arena in Jacksonville. If Vince can do it, I guess. Florida is a nutcase state, right?

Pettis vs. Cerrone on the ESPN prelims could be one of the most viewed MMA fights of all time if they get the promos right. They'll have it ready for the adverts for The Last Stand I'm sure. No news on what will be on the other cards but guessing Overeem vs. Harris and a Chris Weidman light heavyweight fight are the headliners.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad it's not on Fight Island but this will do I guess.

The main card is so odd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's happening starting in June apparently.

Greg Hardy being so high up the card is the only irritating thing really, seeing as how there's legitimate MMA legends on the ESPN portion and a banger in Luque vs. Price even earlier than that. Still, it's a ridiculous card both in terms of prestige and action. They've got a chance to be seen by a big audience, they're leading with "the return of sports" as the marketing tagline so you've got to think that's going to be getting airtime during the Draft tonight and/or tomorrow and The Last Stand this Sunday and next. Once everybody's stopped interviewing Burrow, Tua, Young and Love, all the coverage is going to go to the UFC on ESPN and FOX.

Smith vs. Glover on the 13th, Harris vs. Overeem on the 16th. Both rescheduled main events. First midweek card since that Condit vs. Kampmann one?
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; April 24th, 2020 at 5:50 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's happening starting in June apparently.

Greg Hardy being so high up the card is the only irritating thing really, seeing as how there's legitimate MMA legends on the ESPN portion and a banger in Luque vs. Price even earlier than that. Still, it's a ridiculous card both in terms of prestige and action. They've got a chance to be seen by a big audience, they're leading with "the return of sports" as the marketing tagline so you've got to think that's going to be getting airtime during the Draft tonight and/or tomorrow and The Last Stand this Sunday and next. Once everybody's stopped interviewing Burrow, Tua, Young and Love, all the coverage is going to go to the UFC on ESPN and FOX.

Smith vs. Glover on the 13th, Harris vs. Overeem on the 16th. Both rescheduled main events. First midweek card since that Condit vs. Kampmann one?
    I'm hearing that the UFC are contractually obligated to deliver something like 30 events in 2020 and there are 30 Saturday's left in the year? Lol. So he's going to be banging these out like crazy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll be back on schedule in no time. I think they're down 6 shows, with 1 getting back immediately with the Wednesday show. Probably double up on weekends in June/July with Fight Island, then they'll be on course to fulfil their contract with the dates that were already pencilled in. Fight Island will be interesting because that's presumably only going to be non-US fighters, so quality may vary. But it's like that with non-US cards anyway I guess. If anything, they might end up in ESPN's good books time zone depending with the island, because more of the content will be at primetime in the States rather than China shows at 6 in the morning or UK at midday.

Dana's at least come to terms with that there will be no audience for the foreseeable, so he's not going to be putting on shows in Dubai to get the ticket stubs in. I genuinely do think Conor and Nate sit out until there's crowds, and I certainly don't see GSP coming back or anything like that, but I imagine the rest of the roster will get on with it as a new normal. Sucks that we probably won't get huge matches with the audience response that they deserve, but it's a new world. The big thing is keeping everybody and their communities healthy and free of this virus.

A big advantage that they have is that I see absolutely no chance the big time boxers like Canelo, Joshua, Fury and Lomachenko fight behind closed doors. It just will not happen. They don't need the money. UFC will have the only PPV events of 2020 from here on out, so they should do very well.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; April 26th, 2020 at 1:06 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling boxing's unspoken feud with MMA and even to an extent pro wrestling, will be the fuel boxing needs to put on some shows. Will it be the mega stars? I don't know. I could honestly see someone like Tyson Fury stepping up as a way to get some money to organizations to help during this pandemic.

Nate Diaz....Crowd or no crowd that dude is hard to predict. A handful of fights in the last 7 years. He's almost as bad as Nick was. Gotta keep the gimmick going I guess.

Conor on the other hand, I could see him fighting this year if he's real about being a fighter again and not just about money. If the desire to compete is there, to prove everyone he's still the man, crowd won't matter. I think the fight will though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearn and Arum have both talked about promoting shows, but feel pretty adamant it will be to get fights for people that need to get paid, so domestic level fights. They can probably sneak a PPV or 2 together over here - Joe Joyce vs. Daniel Dubois can probably see to lose the gate and neither of those guys are wealthy, and guys like Chisora and Dillian Whyte would probably take fights that could just about justify PPV with a decent enough undercard. The disparity in pay days will show during this pandemic though, the UFC guys need to fight 2-3 times a year to pay the mortgage, medical insurance and put a bit in the kitty for life post fight game. Kell Brook or Terrence Crawford doesn't need to ever fight again. But, it is in their make up to get in great shape, put gloves on and fight people. Without the buzz of the crowd, do they bite the bullet? There absolutely will be shows, bottom line, but the big ones will be on hold for a year.

The travel restrictions and quarantining is the hurdle for certain fights, isn't it. Like Adesanya at the minute, Volkanovski, they'd have to be Fight Island. But what about their opponents? Can they get back into the States? They're in a fortunate position that the non-US champions they have, other than Khabib, you can make a case that their next opponents can come from abroad - Adesanya vs. Costa, Volk vs. Zombie, Zhang vs. Joanna, Shevchenko vs. Calderwood, so they can have those fights there. Fuck knows how long restrictions last though. Social distancing is here until there's a cure, but there will be leeway at some point.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearn and Arum have both talked about promoting shows, but feel pretty adamant it will be to get fights for people that need to get paid, so domestic level fights. They can probably sneak a PPV or 2 together over here - Joe Joyce vs. Daniel Dubois can probably see to lose the gate and neither of those guys are wealthy, and guys like Chisora and Dillian Whyte would probably take fights that could just about justify PPV with a decent enough undercard. The disparity in pay days will show during this pandemic though, the UFC guys need to fight 2-3 times a year to pay the mortgage, medical insurance and put a bit in the kitty for life post fight game. Kell Brook or Terrence Crawford doesn't need to ever fight again. But, it is in their make up to get in great shape, put gloves on and fight people. Without the buzz of the crowd, do they bite the bullet? There absolutely will be shows, bottom line, but the big ones will be on hold for a year.

The travel restrictions and quarantining is the hurdle for certain fights, isn't it. Like Adesanya at the minute, Volkanovski, they'd have to be Fight Island. But what about their opponents? Can they get back into the States? They're in a fortunate position that the non-US champions they have, other than Khabib, you can make a case that their next opponents can come from abroad - Adesanya vs. Costa, Volk vs. Zombie, Zhang vs. Joanna, Shevchenko vs. Calderwood, so they can have those fights there. Fuck knows how long restrictions last though. Social distancing is here until there's a cure, but there will be leeway at some point.
    Yikes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an inevitability isn't it? There won't be any crowds at sporting events at the very least. I'm not sure they can keep the 2 week quarantine when you go to a new country though, it's too restrictive long term for the lives we live. When they'll loosen that though, who knows.

Some solid fights added to the Fight Night events. Barboza vs. Ige at featherweight the highlight, Edson's debut at the weight class against an under the radar guy on a 5 fight UFC winning streak.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC 249 is so stacked. They're going to start the covid-19 testing so outside of someone testing positive or a weight issue, I don't see the card going south at all.

The 2 title fights are crazy. I'm loving the HW bout with Ngannou. You have a solid undercard with Cerrone v. Pettis, Karate Hottie v. Esparza, Werdum returns against a game opponent. Very excited despite everything going on in the world. I'm also curious how the atmosphere is going to look. Have they released anything about how the set up will look? Will it be just the same with nobody in the arena?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're going to have the commentators seperate, that's the only change I've heard. I imagine they'll light it differently too. Other than that I'd expect it to be similar, no security for the walk outs obviously too. MMA is one of the sports that, while obviously not preferable to have no crowd, it doesn't affect the aesthetics that much as the corners are usually vocal and animated and they have a bunch of pro's commentating. I presume the people that will be dealing with the fighters, doctors, commissioners etc will be wearing PPE so if one fighter happens to have it, it shouldn't spread through the card. There's a bunch of measures in place to keep everybody apart besides the fights. Not sure if there will be face off's after weight but I doubt it considering the need for security if it kicks off.

The card is ridiculous. Not just in terms of stature but in fight quality as well. There's just guys that bring it all throughout the card, with big kill ratios. So many finishers.

Ferguson vs. Gaethje just gets the bollocks tingling. On paper I think it might be the most fan friendly match-up in history. Ferguson has 6 post fight bonuses in his last 6, Gaethje has SEVEN in the same time frame, the entirety of his UFC career. Ferguson's stretches to 8 in 8, too. Ferguson finished 5 of those 6 to go 6-0 (and an overall 12-0 stretching 8 years!), Gaethje went 4-2 with all of those fights ending inside the distance in dramatic fashion. Tony's been dropped, cut and hurt in wins, so has Justin. Both vulnerable but durable, Ferguson legendarily so. Christ. We know what they both do, it just matches up so perfectly to be dramatic until it ends emphatically either way. It's either Justin early or Ferguson weathers the storm, busts him up with elbows and body work and takes home a neck when Justin panic wrestles to put a stop to the pressure. For me, and I hope I'm wrong because this is just a magnificent run that Tony's on and it deserves to culminate in the Khabib fight, but I think Justin catches him and puts him out. When Tony gets dropped it is usually because he's off balance, and I don't like that against Gaethje. He hits too hard to land when the feet aren't set. Justin has that composure nowadays that he won't chase him like Pettis or Vannata, he'll wait for him to get up and stalk him when he's hurt. If Tony weathers it and wins though, what a freak. I know Poirier and Alvarez beat him, but their striking styles were tighter against a more wild Gaethje, whereas Tony's wildness will get him hit. Going to be a banger for however long it lasts.

Cejudo vs. Cruz is exciting because we don't really know how good either will be. Cejudo has never fought anybody who fights at range as well as Cruz, and Cruz hasn't fought in years. Henry's obviously putting together some resume, with one of the best 3 fight stretches in the sport's history. To put his improvement into context, he was on a 2 fight skid the last time Cruz fought. Classic case of a world class wrestler falling in love with stand up and losing against more tenured fighters. Then his striking caught up, and he's a beast now. The Mighty Mouse fight was a coin flip but that in itself is impressive. Then he beat Dillashaw but the argument was that TJ was depleted. Then he went up in weight, made mid fight adjustments and stopped Marlon Moraes. Cut, damaged leg, down on points, no problem. Got him in the clinch, wore him out and smashed him on the ground. Cruz himself might be the most underrated fighter in MMA history. His prime was too short to put him in that GOAT tier, but his skills were unparalleled. A truly special fighter. The footwork, head movement and transitions between striking and wrestling, he was a magician. The style led to the injuries. Just isn't a sustainable way of fighting. Angles too awkward, strikes landing awkwardly too. But when he's healthy he's superb. I don't expect him to ever fight again after this, yet I don't count him out winning it. Too talented to right off. I'm leaning Cejudo just based on his will of just getting it done, but think it will be tighter than expected and probably go the distance. I see Cruz up 2-1 but Henry putting it on him in the championship rounds and pulling ahead. If Cruz wins though, it's up there with the most inspiring of all time. He should be done, but he's making the walk Saturday.

Ngannou vs. Rozenstruik is either a staring contest or somebody's staring at the lights. I think Francis gets it done early. He's in lethal form. Both can bang so he could be more cautious than normal, but I think he finds an opening and gets his man out of there inside 2. Big opportunity for big Jair, that Hail Mary against Overeem has probably got him in over his head at this stage in his career though.

Kattar vs. Stephens is an incredible fight. Love watching both. I haven't seen a boring Jeremy Stephens fight yet, and Kattar defied his pre-UFC reputation and has started getting finishes with that crisp boxing. Some of the best hands in the sport, fights long and mixes it up well. But Stephens is teak tough, and avoiding that power for three rounds is difficult. It has been done though, and Kattar is more than good enough and disciplined enough to do it. Don't think he gets a finish, but I favour him to win quite big. Stephens has lost a slight step, and Calvin is coming into his stride.

Hardy vs. De Castro. Just hope Hardy gets banged out, honestly. It's a one rounder in the heavyweight division, it'll be sloppy and somebody's dick will hit the dirt. Worst fight on the card is pretty much a nailed on first round knockout, can't really complain about that.

Pettis vs. Cowboy will be entertaining, whatever they have left. Both have been on rough stretches, but it was only last calendar year that Pettis knocked out Wonderboy and Cerrone dissected Al Iaquinta, so it's not as if they've both just completely fallen off a cliff. They've just stepped up and been found wanting, for me in part to just coming back too early from fights, and moving up and down in weight. Pettis just looked bereft of energy last time, shouldn't have been back at 155 so soon after fighting Diaz. And Cowboy should have taken time after the Gaethje fight, but that Conor fight made him some money I guess. Both have had 4 months off, probably both back too soon. Cowboy certainly. Have to lean Pettis, he was better 7 years ago and he's probably better now, with the added intangible that he hasn't been stopped with strikes 3 times in the last 12 months. Pettis by knockout for me, possibly early. Hopefully we see Cowboy back next year against guys like Tim Means and Demian Maia, but expect to see him getting his head caved in by Geoff Neal or something by August.

Don't love the Esparza vs. Karate Hottie fight because I don't like watching Carla fight, but it's got a classic face vs. heel feel to it so I guess there's that. Hopefully Waterson can get it done, but Esparza is just a relentless midget female Jon Fitch. Just grinds and finds a way to win. Leaning her in a tight one on points.

Werdum vs. Oleinik all depends on what Fabricio has left. No version we've seen yet would ever lose this fight, and would find a finish too. He might be toast, but he'd still be favoured if he's shot because his opponent is so slow and he won't be getting beaten by BJJ until he's 6 feet under. I like Werdum winning on the feet, finishing with an uppercut.

Hall vs. Jacare is interesting, mainly for Hall's TUF experience fighting without crowds. He was an absolute fucking killer on that show. He's a sensitive, emotional guy and crowds can prove volatile for a guy like that. I think he'll be at his absolute best here. His absolute best still isn't good enough to beat a prime Jacare more than 3 times out of 10, but this isn't a prime Jacare. It's still 50/50, but I like Uriah here, fighting disciplined, picking his man apart from the outside and winning on points or finishing him late.

Luque vs. Price is a superb fight. Price is must watch, Luque is must watch. Price hasn't seen the third round in 10 UFC fights, Luque has finished 9 of his 10 wins in the Octagon and the other would have been stopped after the third round with Mike Perry's nose. Two masters of violence. Luque won the first fight between them by D'Arce, he's better defensively so I favour him in the rematch but Price is a berserker. Luque by choke after surviving a scare or 2.

Mitchell vs. Rosa is a fine fight too. Rosa has 4 bonuses in 6 fights, Mitchell had the submission of the year last year. 2 guys that come to scrap. Mitchell hasn't been beat and has more upside so I'm leaning him in a close on points.

Spann vs. Alvey is hopefully just a squash match with Spann doing the business and moving on. Crazy that fucking Sam Alvey beat Rashad Evans.

Looking forward to some fights Saturday. Some good stuff on the following two cards too.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Luque vs. Price is a superb fight. Price is must watch, Luque is must watch. Price hasn't seen the third round in 10 UFC fights, Luque has finished 9 of his 10 wins in the Octagon and the other would have been stopped after the third round with Mike Perry's nose. Two masters of violence. Luque won the first fight between them by D'Arce, he's better defensively so I favour him in the rematch but Price is a berserker. Luque by choke after surviving a scare or 2.
    You weren't lying. Crazy stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a great night of fights. Aesthetically, the fighting for me doesn't need a crowd. The lack of atmosphere is noticable as soon as the round stops, but finishes feel so visceral in silence that it's as emotionally impactful as the crowd going mad for people at home. I just hope everybody gets home healthy.

Even the Spann vs. Alvey fight entertained. A guy perhaps believing his own hype after a good run against an opponent that didn't crumble under pressure. Clear 29-28 , probably bought Alvey 1 more fight and taught Spann some lessons while maintaining his win streak.

Bryce Mitchell is an animal. That ground control! He's a threat in the division.

Luque vs. Price was as advertised. Gets FOTN on most cards. Just a violent war with two guys with dynamic offense and porous defence. Good finish, that eye was brutal.

Esparza vs. Waterson was Esparza vs. Waterson. Winner gets to lose against Jessica Andrade, loser gets to beat Angela Hill. Levels.

Sad to see Werdum with absolutely no athleticism left in his old body. When he was on his back and they were talking up his triangle chokes, it felt absurd as he no longer looks capable of applying one. Oleinik came with pressure and conditioning and it was enough.

Cerrone vs. Pettis was an entertaining niptuck affair. I think Cowboy just about edged it but it was no robbery. Pettis vs. Lawler for a 5 round main event in the Summer if neither wants to take the Geoff Neal risk.

Hardy vs. De Castro was dull. Hardy showed improvements to his overall skillset, conditioning and composure.

Kattar vs. Stephens was an awesome two rounder. Jeremy Stephens doesn't do boring. Once Calvin started letting his hands go it felt a formality, but that elbow was CRUSHING. Featherweight is my favourite division in the sport, top 10 is full of monsters of violence.

Francis Ngannou. Has to be the hardest hitter in the sport's history. Wasn't even technical, just threw loads of punches and played the percentages because he only needed 1 to land. Shows just how good Stipe was that night.

Cejudo winning was a bummer, I'm a big Cruz guy. I don't hate the stoppage because Cruz would have been chasing and probably got put out in the third, but on the flip side you have to give him that opportunity. He's a fighter. That knee was stellar though. I actually like Cejudo retiring, how can he top that? Demetrius, TJ, Moraes and Cruz, 2 title wins and a defence of each in his last 4 fights. This was an MMA version of a "voluntary" defence, he'd have to fight Yan or Sterling next and that's less money and prestige. I can see him coming back next year though, with a crowd, once the division has a clear kingpin. As for Cruz, I hope he sticks around to fight Edgar or Aldo. 2 dream fights.

Gaethje was pitch perfect, and Tony Ferguson is terminator. How the fuck was that guy still standing? In awe at his toughness. Eventually, his head just shut down. Mercy stoppage, we don't need a man to die in there. Justin is a tough match up for Khabib just based on leg kicks, takedown defence, toughness and power. I think we kind of fell in love with the Ferguson fight because of the win streak, but who wins off the back nowadays? That was the hope for Tony. Justin will be looking to keep it on the feet, and while he won't ask any questions off his back if it does hit the deck, the romanticism of fighting has allowed us to think anybody could against a guy with the best top control in the sport's history.

So good to have the sport back. Roll on Wednesday!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geathje is godlike. Ferguson is a tough motherfucker....There is no questioning that killer. I did have one moron on my FB who bragged about fighting Crazy Horse in a FL prison say Ferguson was "good but not great and this fight shows Khabib would maul him easily". I was pretty annoyed with that but it was in the minority, although it stuck out like a shark bite. Gaethje is ready for Khabib, I want to still see Ferguson v. Khabib and maybe even a rematch with Gaethje and Ferguson.

Cejudo retiring was a shock. Take away his corny persona and odd resemblance to De La Hoya in the face, you can't deny his accomplishments. Personally would have preferred to see him battle a couple more contenders but yeah, without nitpicking, great resume.

Francis.....Another post I read was praising Stipe in the first fight when looking at the bodies Francis has piled up over the last couple years. I want to se the fight. I get DC v. Stipe 3, but seriously, DC can retire now and call it a magnificent career. Stipe v. Francis 2...Let's do that next. I dont' see it going the same way, even if Stipe wins, that first shit was "meh". Not their worst fights but damn close lol.

GSP going into the Hall of Fame. Love it. Arguably the GOAT, and it's a great argument when you think of the killers he's taken on and just mauled and/or schooled with ease. The cherry on top being his return taking out another legend Michael Bisping for the MW title. That was huge. 1 last thing: The first Penn-GSP fight. First time I ever saw BJ Penn fight, it was a fuckin war. Loved the rivalry, rematch was great too.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    GSP will be the GOAT because he went out with such a lengthy undefeated run and never got popped for PEDs (not to say he never used but was never popped for them).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah for me, GSP is the GOAT at this point. The announcement felt quite odd to me because he's just another level to everybody else in thus far, with all respect to those legends. He's the first man you induct. He's the only man from a decade ago in his prime that you transplant into today and he beats the current champion and contenders. Timeless athlete

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Frothing at the mouth for Gaethje vs Khabib. Khabib/Ferg was a matchup curiosity with the top vs bottom games and the terminator vs nutjob aspects.. Khabib/Gaethje is matchup fireworks..

Bang-bang standup vs clunky standup, takedown/top game dominance vs more than capable tdd, leg kicks, granite chins.. need to look back and see how much Justin has utilized uppercuts and/or flying knees..

Serious shame about the Cejudo/Cruz finish.. saving grace is it looked more and more like Henry was zeroing in.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -The scoring for Pettis/Cowboy was odd. Pettis/Cowboy are clearly past their primes, and I hope they continue to get matchups like this.

-Greg Hardy is much better than people give credit for. He is a legitimate fighter. He may never be in the top 10, but give credit where credit is due.

-Jeremy Stephens will never be anything more than a gatekeeper and "who da fook is that guy." Kattar is also pretty damn good.

-Ngannou is terrifying. Despite Stipe "exposing him" several years ago, I would never bet against Ngannou in a fight. With Stipe basically on the shelf, DC not fighting anyone but Stipe, I can see Ngannou winning the strap.

-Dominick Cruz did much better than I expected, but I don't think his style of fighting ages well, especially against the cream of the crop. I have no issue with the stoppage, but it still sucks.

-Gutted that Cejudo is leaving, but good for him. Can't deny his credentials.

-Tony Ferguson was robbed of the fight he deserves with Khabib and I don't think he will ever get his opportunity again. Gaethje outclassed him, but was that largely in part due to his multiple weight cuts in a few week span? Or is Tony's pressure style of fighting just fading away as he ages? Gaethje himself said that would be a detriment if he were to do it himself.

-Gaethje has a much better chance at beating Khabib that Tony had, IMO. If Gaethje can keep it standing in the later rounds when Khabib slows down, Khabib will be in swimming in high waters against a dangerous striker. I don't know why, but I see Gaethje being a real challenge to take down.

-The Conor/Gaethje/Khabib lovefest we are about to have to deal with for a few months will be interesting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony will get a big fight when he gets back (Hooker/Poirier winner?) so he could get back to a title fight inside 18 months. I think the window has closed on him actually winning it though, his skills and athleticism will only regress at this point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Card tomorrow night isn't a bad little effort. Some solid names, and pretty well matched throughout.

Glover vs. Smith should be a good one. Anthony Smith has looked great at light heavyweight, only losing to Jones. Made his case by mowing through the spent versions of Rashad and Shogun, but has also beat Volkan and Gustafsson. He's one of those animals that can finish from anywhere with anything, might be one of the only guys on the roster to have a finish from elbows, knees, kicks and punches. 17 KO, 12 SUB. Beast. Glover is a legend that's been around forever, tough as they come, good all rounder but slowing down significantly at this point, struggling with faster opponents but getting by on experience. Smith can match him in that aspect, he's just the sharper fighter nowadays. I'm seeing a KO against the Octagon sometime in the middle rounds.

Co-main is random as hell, Ben Rothwell vs. OSP at heavyweight. Bit of a freak show but I like it. Hope OSP beats the big weird fucker, but no idea what to expect.

Hernandez vs. Dober has potential to be a great scrap. Both young contenders that are operating at a high level right now. Both quick with power. Hernandez probably has the greater upside but Dober's in form, will be sharper and is more tested at UFC level. Leaning Hernandez because there is more in the tank, but Dober has a chance of winning and breaking the rankings. Can see it getting bloody.

Simon vs. Borg is a fight that I'm glad is happening behind closed doors, because it should be a pretty exciting grappling match-up which audiences don't usually care for and it can lead to bad stand ups, and bad stand up. Hopefully this will just be non-stop scrambles. Borg is hard to root against because of the struggles with his kid, despite the constant weight mishaps.

Robertson vs. Vettori is classic top 30 matchmaking, both close in the rankings, both on win streaks, one moves on to a top 20 opponent the other falls back in the pack. Robertson has more upside so I'm leaning him, but it has split decision written all over it.

Andrei Arlovski on the prelims, against the 2018 PFL heavyweight tournament winner Philipe Lins. How many lives does Arlovski have in this sport?! He's 7-9 in the UFC after returning from obscurity in 2014, though he won the first 4 of those. So he's at a 25% win clip in his last 12 with no stoppage wins. He's essentially got smart as his skills have faded, so he's not winning much based on not being as sharp and explosive anymore, but he's not getting smashed too often because he's fighting within his skillset. So he's boring now. But, he's a legend and you kind of always want those guys to win. He probably won't here, as Lins is pretty good but admittedly at a lower level.

Rest of the card is standard prelim fare, with Michael Johnson and a couple of undefeated prospects to look out for. Good to have some fights back!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony will get a big fight when he gets back (Hooker/Poirier winner?) so he could get back to a title fight inside 18 months. I think the window has closed on him actually winning it though, his skills and athleticism will only regress at this point.
    Tony versus either of those guys would be dope.

I'm not writing off Tony at all. He lost to an elite fighter, if he got worked by someone in the high teens maybe but Gaethje is on the top shelf. I'm still wanting to see Tony v. Khabib and I wouldn't mind seeing Tony v. Justin 2 in 2021.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His resurgence does give validation to McGregor too, as he wiped the floor with the 2 guys that dismantled Gaethje. I hope he doesn't fight Justin before Khabib comes back, styles make fights and Justin's wrestling interests me against Khabib, and Conor's TDD hasn't been tested since the last mauling. In an ideal world McGregor gives Poirier a rematch and gets his shot with a win.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His resurgence does give validation to McGregor too, as he wiped the floor with the 2 guys that dismantled Gaethje. I hope he doesn't fight Justin before Khabib comes back, styles make fights and Justin's wrestling interests me against Khabib, and Conor's TDD hasn't been tested since the last mauling. In an ideal world McGregor gives Poirier a rematch and gets his shot with a win.
    Since when did you of all people use MMAmath?

I think right now they have a strong top tier of 155. Khabib, Gaethje, Ferguson, etc. McGregor is a wild card. Will he actually fight at 155 to earn a shot at Khabib or are we going to dance around 170? He's playing the long game, hoping he doesn't have to fight anyone BUT Khabib. He wants to avenge the loss, same with Diaz.

Remember, McGregor didn't take any fights after that loss AND tucked his balls via twitter when he couldn't fully isolate himself. I'm shocked he took the Cerrone fight to be honest, and covid-19 has definitely threw everything into a blender. But personally I think he's waiting, just like Stipe did for Cormier. If he gets Khabib, he can't fuck around so let's hope his personal life isn't taking him down the Jon Jones path.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's hardly MMA math, I'm acknowledging that his ranking has more merit given the success of his previous opponents since he fought them. Not saying he should be ranked over them still or be favoured against Gaethje either, but he's mixed with these top guys and won. Years ago though, so I agree that he needs to be fighting a Poirier or Ferguson before deserving a title shot.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's hardly MMA math, I'm acknowledging that his ranking has more merit given the success of his previous opponents since he fought them. Not saying he should be ranked over them still or be favoured against Gaethje either, but he's mixed with these top guys and won. Years ago though, so I agree that he needs to be fighting a Poirier or Ferguson before deserving a title shot.
    That's what I thought you were implying, that because he beat Poirier and Alvarez he is automatically a better fighter than Gaethje.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Glover hammering of Anthony Smith was something else. Smith looked really good early but set way too high a pace for 205, perhaps wrote off Glover's durability and expected to roll through him. Then he got tired, got hurt and just had the shit kicked out of him. These kind of fights in an empty arena really highlights how visceral this sport is, amps up the drama. No clueless idiots pretending to be Ric Flair or shouting things to get a reaction, it's 2 people in a fist fight in a cage. The great fights are made greater with crowds, but the bad, average and quite good are made worse.

Hope Walt Harris can get a win tonight. That poor fucking guy. I'm a Reem fan but this is a tough spot for him, it's his job but I doubt he's gagging to punch Walt after all this. Barboza and Matt Brown too, 2 of my all time favourites.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weird extra insights in these events without audiences have really shown up just how absolutely spot on Daniel Cormier is with his fight assessments.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds weird in retrospect that they stuck with Rogan and Goldberg for so long, and the backlash received when Mike was replaced. In fairness to Rogan he obviously has a lifetime of interest and training of martial arts, but having zero input from trained professionals for such a significant portion of the sports history is crazy. I love the majority of the pro commentary, Dan Hardy is great on the international shows too. Rogan is the voice of the UFC but he's very much a spare wheel at this point, and he's been smart to drop down to just PPV broadcasts.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds weird in retrospect that they stuck with Rogan and Goldberg for so long, and the backlash received when Mike was replaced. In fairness to Rogan he obviously has a lifetime of interest and training of martial arts, but having zero input from trained professionals for such a significant portion of the sports history is crazy. I love the majority of the pro commentary, Dan Hardy is great on the international shows too. Rogan is the voice of the UFC but he's very much a spare wheel at this point, and he's been smart to drop down to just PPV broadcasts.
    I mean for a long, long time they would seem to have a 3rd man at the booth that was a pro fighter. Not all the time, but I remember Randy Couture, BJ Penn, a few others in the early-mid 2000's would sit in.

I have to imagine they felt Joe has enough of knowledge and Mike being the hype man it was enough.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It worked for the period. Sport evolved so much that the hype guy was redundant and they needed expertise at the announce table.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    It worked for the period. Sport evolved so much that the hype guy was redundant and they needed expertise at the announce table.
    Well we still have that Goldberg type in Jon Anik. Goldberg's knowledge was growing before they parted ways and again, they didn't abandon the role they just put different people in it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Ngannou would take the fight but is Jones for real? Or is this another Stipe situation where they're just talking on twitter. Like Dana said, it's one thing when these guys are out in the public on social media talking about fighting, it becomes a totally different situation when it's time to draw up contracts.

I mean.....If Brock Lesnar can come in on 1 pro fight against Frank fuckin Mir, I don't see why Jones couldn't come up and fight someone of Ngannou's status and ranking. We're getting in GSP territory with Jon where I think people are more and more going to be like "He never moved up" just like they used to say about GSP despite GSP having a much deeper talent pool than Jones. And shit, when GSP did move up, he won the fucking title and finished the guy after going damn near 10 years without a finish.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I genuinely think the Jon Jones of the mid 2010's beats any heavyweight that ever lived. He was that good. He's lost a step, struggling with guys that went to split decisions with Volkan Oezdemir and got submitted by Eric Spicely. His wrestling isn't what it was. He's showing no signs of fight ending power on the feet. Could he keep Ngannou behind the jab for 5 rounds? Technically yes, but Ngannou has no reason to respect the power, will be strong enough to defend the takedown and would get Jones out of there in short order. He's a huge man with absolutely concussive one shot power. Could Jones beat a slightly over the hill Stipe who's 25 pounds lighter? I think so, but styles make fights and Francis runs through him.

I hope it fucking happens. I'll be gutted if the run of dominance ends in him losing a tactical 48-47 chess match. I see that as the eventual inevitability at 205, but heavyweight would see it end emphatically. Could you imagine the sport's narrative if Weidman lay on Anderson for five rounds instead of flattening him? Iconic runs deserve iconic endings.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I genuinely think the Jon Jones of the mid 2010's beats any heavyweight that ever lived. He was that good. He's lost a step, struggling with guys that went to split decisions with Volkan Oezdemir and got submitted by Eric Spicely. His wrestling isn't what it was. He's showing no signs of fight ending power on the feet. Could he keep Ngannou behind the jab for 5 rounds? Technically yes, but Ngannou has no reason to respect the power, will be strong enough to defend the takedown and would get Jones out of there in short order. He's a huge man with absolutely concussive one shot power. Could Jones beat a slightly over the hill Stipe who's 25 pounds lighter? I think so, but styles make fights and Francis runs through him.

I hope it fucking happens. I'll be gutted if the run of dominance ends in him losing a tactical 48-47 chess match. I see that as the eventual inevitability at 205, but heavyweight would see it end emphatically. Could you imagine the sport's narrative if Weidman lay on Anderson for five rounds instead of flattening him? Iconic runs deserve iconic endings.
    I cant think of the exact line but that last part you said reminds me of the part in Wolverine where Yukio talks to Logan about wanting a warrior's death or something like that. I agree.....I want either Jon Jones to destroy his last opponent or he himself get smoked out. I don't want to see like you said some weird points battle where all these questions are in the air after the fact.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's off the table anyway, UFC won't pony up the added money to get Jones' interest. He'll be fighting Jan next most likely.

Next Saturday's card is an example of why you don't run 9 TV main events on the same card. Woodley vs. Burns (admittedly a banger) and a whole lot of nothing. 250 looks promising though if they can find a main event 2 weeks out, unlikely as that is. For me I'd have run Colby vs. Woodley on the PPV and had Burns against RDA, Ponz or whoever. Him against Woodley is a die hard only fight anyway, wouldn't have much difference in views whereas Colby and Woodley would sell a few PPV's with their beef.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people are delusional with Colby. Or the idea that someone who talks a bunch of stupid shit=ratings. Nobody buys a ppv to see someone get their ass beat, that's just what closet fans of fighters they don't want to admit they like tell people lol. "I hate Tito so I bought the ppv in hopes that Patrick Cote would beat his ass!" Wrong. Colby and Woodley, same thing. Boring fighters, lame personalities that turn more people off than on to the sport. These Poor Man Conor's are weeded out with ease these days, THANK GOD.