Results 11,301 to 11,400 of 13676

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I wasn't comparing it to rape in the slightest.

Anyway, let's just wait for further details I guess.
    Oh I know, I'm just being over the top about it .

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Oh I know, I'm just being over the top about it .
    You? Over the top? Neveeeerrr!!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Something is going on with Tony Ferguson. His wife has filed a restraining order based on some recent unusual behavior. Courtesy mmajunkie:

On Feb. 19, police conducted a welfare check on Tony Ferguson after he made unknown threats, and his wife and son left their house, according to a separate police report. Police spoke to an unidentified female who stated Tony Ferguson had “not slept for three days and was tearing apart the home” and “broke apart the fire place and believed someone placed a (computer) chip in his leg.” An unidentified male who’d called the police said the fighter had told him “someone was inside his walls.”
    Just three days earlier, on Feb. 16, Cristina Ferguson called police from a nearby park after leaving their home. She said that, while Tony Ferguson hadn’t been violent to her or anyone else, she was concerned for her husband’s well being. In police comments on the incident report, she reported that “he kept throwing ‘holy water’ at her,” and his condition – redacted in the report – had been getting worse. He’d also refused to go to a hospital for an evaluation.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm extremely concerned for the man.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't care about the card coming up this weekend aside from the main event.

I don't know why I never cared much about Masvidal until he grew out his long hair but he's almost like a completely different fighter to me with this look. Kind of a dark horse in the division even though he does have some pretty strong wins. Just been around forever. I'd like to see him get the W here, I'm thinking experience and hunger still inside Jorge will get him the W.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    His hair was long back in his YouTube streetfight days.

I'm looking forward to the card honestly. Decent little free UK event.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    His hair was long back in his YouTube streetfight days.

I'm looking forward to the card honestly. Decent little free UK event.
    I was listening to an interview where he said he cut his hair because he was having trouble making 155. Who knew hair would weigh you down like that lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Masvidal is my new favorite fighter. Knocked out my man Till then served Leon Edwards a little smack crack on the way out lol.

That's a real muthafuckin G

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I agree with that. Respect.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how's this whole thing with UFC ppvs being available only through ESPN+ going to effect those of you that buy them?

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Dillashaw "gives up" his belt after an adverse finding by the USADA and suspension by the New York athletic commission.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn shame.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thompson v. Pettis this weekend. Fuckin excited this shit is going to be wild! Just Willis v. Curtis Blaydes looks like Kimbo v. Dada 5000 if they had skill lol.

But yeah, Thompson more than likely going to dust Pettis but hey it's MMA and I wouldn't be shocked if Pettis won the fight. Wonderboy is just so good though. I just don't know what this win does for him in the rankings and getting another crack at the champ.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderboy hasn't been beaten since Matt Brown, truthfully. I don't know how anybody could've given Woodley or Till 3 rounds in those fights, though can see them getting a 10-8 round to force a draw. Well, the Woodley fights anyway. He got home cooked against Till. He can still be champion, this fight keeps him in the mix. He'll win handily. Hopefully the Pettis of his last 4 fights turns up and it's entertaining.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Dillashaw "gives up" his belt after an adverse finding by the USADA and suspension by the New York athletic commission.
    Has there ever been a worse failed drug test?

Moves down to fight the smaller man after hammering on about it for years and MM refusing to fight him because he didn’t think he made weight, claims he’s being paid to kill the division. Supposedly makes it ‘easy’, gets smashed within 20 seconds, whines constantly about it...then pops, obviously for some form of diuretic as he clearly couldn’t make the weight.

What a dick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Wonderboy hasn't been beaten since Matt Brown, truthfully. I don't know how anybody could've given Woodley or Till 3 rounds in those fights, though can see them getting a 10-8 round to force a draw. Well, the Woodley fights anyway. He got home cooked against Till. He can still be champion, this fight keeps him in the mix. He'll win handily. Hopefully the Pettis of his last 4 fights turns up and it's entertaining.

I agree to be honest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welterweight is looking great at the minute. You've got Usman/Covington, Lawler/Askren 2 (according to Dana), Masvidal/Edwards and RDA/Lee on tap. Either Wonderboy (with a win here) or Woodley likely fights Ponzinibbio next. The other can fight Capoeira or Luque. The other of those guys can fight Chiesa. Gunner can fight Magny. Just a stacked division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we know for sure what TJ was popped for? I haven't really dived into it beyond his post on social media. I did find it funny, in a sad way, when Cody tweeted that he is still the champ....Completely forgetting he was obliterated in his last fight by someone not named TJ Dillashaw, a #10 ranked guy.....

I've always found Team Alpha Male in general to be a very very weird MMA team. Like when they do that podcast with their shirts off or how teenage girl they were about TJ going with Duane to a new camp.

- - - Updated - - -

Welterweight is looking great at the minute. You've got Usman/Covington, Lawler/Askren 2 (according to Dana), Masvidal/Edwards and RDA/Lee on tap. Either Wonderboy (with a win here) or Woodley likely fights Ponzinibbio next. The other can fight Capoeira or Luque. The other of those guys can fight Chiesa. Gunner can fight Magny. Just a stacked division.
    WW imo has always been the deepest division but I will admit it was kind of in a rebuilding period when Lawler and Hendricks were at the top. Now it's back to being the elite division for me. 155 snuck up on them for a little while there until McGregor flaked out for Mayweather. But even that division is still pretty strong.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team Alpha Male are a bit of a mess really and nowhere near successful enough to justify their sense of superiority.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always seemed to be a low IQ "bro" club to me. Frat boys who never grew up that happened to be great at freestyle wrestling. Faber himself is clearly an egomaniac too, lives the gimmick like he's in KISS or something.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree. They pretty much got tooled up by their old rivals Cruz and Aldo their whole career and the only time they got one over on either of them, they then got fucked up by their new rival.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Always seemed to be a low IQ "bro" club to me. Frat boys who never grew up that happened to be great at freestyle wrestling. Faber himself is clearly an egomaniac too, lives the gimmick like he's in KISS or something.
    with a name like "team alpha male" who would have guessed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit Pettis. Where did that come from. Incredible finish. MMA is crazy, dude gets wrecked at 145 and 155 then kills a top 5 welterweight with a superman punch.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point I’m not sure why anyone is majorly cutting weight to fight. Eat well, relax and fuck people up. I don’t know why Wonderboy hasn’t moved up already too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically that. It's irritating when people excuse losses against heavier wrestlers as a weight issue and drop dowbln.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    McGregor "retires". So either angling for his comeback fight to get even more buys or he's popped for something.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    McGregor "retires". So either angling for his comeback fight to get even more buys or he's popped for something.
    Something that stands out in his tweet is when he said the sport "formerly known as mixed martial arts". What does that mean?

I mean, he was just on Jimmy Fallon and said they were thinking July but he didn't NEED to fight if he didn't want to. So yeah, that tweet screams like he's about to drop something weird on us, maybe he no longer is a MMA fighter but a McGregor Martial Arts Fighter.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll leave the memories alone once he leaves the USADA testing pool. It's probably the best indicator of one's intention to retire due to the six month probation period after re-entry.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    UFC star Conor McGregor is under investigation for an alleged sexual assault in his native Ireland, according to a report by The New York Times.
    seems to be part of the reason

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    seems to be part of the reason
    Could be. I know I heard something about this a week or 2 ago.

I think again the part that stands out that I've honestly not seen 1 person to comment on anywhere is him saying the sport FORMERLY known as MMA....Why did he put it that way?

He's a fucking weird dude, last night or the night before he's on Fallon talking about piecing something together in July and now this? Let's not forget what he pulled leading up to UFC 199 or 200, whichever one it was where he thanked us for the dairy products and snorted a bunch of coke.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he probably has some weird reasoning as to why he used that word, i take it as him saying that it's not what it used to be.

but he is a bit off so who the fuck knows

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    he probably has some weird reasoning as to why he used that word, i take it as him saying that it's not what it used to be.

but he is a bit off so who the fuck knows
    Yeah I wanted to read into it in hopes that he was just fucking around but you're right, he is a bit off and hey it's bringing him attention he wasn't really getting.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he'll be back. he loves money too much

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch Conor come to Mania, to cause Brock to lose the title. Sets up a PPV of Brock/Connor.
    Last edited by 3puppies; March 26th, 2019 at 4:50 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about the WWE as well. He did lay the smack down on the current roster a couple of years ago only praising the McMahons, Triple H, The Rock, and Austin while saying the current "stars" were a bunch of dweebs lol.

I mean, he wouldn't exactly be out of place. I imagine he walks around at about 170-180lbs. and look at Finn Balor. That guy is MAYBE 185lbs. and he's shorter than Conor.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s all just leverage positioning for negotiation. The UFC tried to get him to go co main event under a heavyweight title fight, which would’ve damaged his brand. The new streaming deal they’ve signed with ESPN means that they effectively get paid for each ppv what they would’ve earned for a 500k selling ppv, they’ll be arguing that it means a baseline pay rather than ppv points, which obviously is something Conor would’ve gotten majorly, so he won’t be happy about that. He knows his value enough to know that they still need big crowd drawing stars.

The sexual assault stuff came out at least a few weeks ago, don’t imagine him retiring because of that.

It’ll be pure money. Nothing else.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White said yesterday that a week or 2 ago Conor texted him saying something about wanting a piece of the UFC and Dana said it wasn't going to happen. But he said it wasn't much of a real discussion and he's never had a bad discussion with Conor the entire time he's been with the UFC.

And I agree that his star power is a driving force for the modern era of the UFC. They might look at it as UFC the brand sells kind of like how WWE approaches their shows on tv and ppv, live events, etc. But imo, you can have all the Pettis-Ferguson fights and my man Jorge serving a 3 piece with a soda and glide out of there moments but the numbers don't lie. Mystic Mac is in I believe the top 4 out of 5 UFC ppvs of all time. That's insane.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of fights announced - Moraes/Cejudo for UFC 238 in Chicago for the vacant bantamweight title, and Jones/Santos and Nunes/Holm (at bantamweight) for 239, international fight week. Khabib's due back in September, likely against the Poirier/Holloway winner. That presumably leaves Cormier fighting in August, with Usman/Covington underneath. This champ champ obsession means the flyweight title and both featherweight titles likely won't have a defence this year.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of fights announced - Moraes/Cejudo for UFC 238 in Chicago for the vacant bantamweight title, and Jones/Santos and Nunes/Holm (at bantamweight) for 239, international fight week. Khabib's due back in September, likely against the Poirier/Holloway winner. That presumably leaves Cormier fighting in August, with Usman/Covington underneath. This champ champ obsession means the flyweight title and both featherweight titles likely won't have a defence this year.
    Damn you I was just about to post these lol.

What's interesting is that Stipe and Jones were talking on twitter, not directly, about possibly fighting in July. But then like 2 hours later this Santos-Jones verbal agreement was announced lol.

I want to know why Stipe isn't fighting. I mean, he might be pretty smart sitting around waiting to see if Lesnar is actually going to fight Cormier but you would have thought by now, like 9 months after the shove heard round the Octagon, we would have seen SOMETHING pointing to Lesnar v. Cormier. Now it's almost like Cormier, if he wants to have 1 more fight, it will probably be against Stipe or Ngannou. Me personally, I'd rather see Cormier v. Ngannou because we haven't seen it and Ngannou is a fucking killer. He's top 5, he's on a great 2 fight win streak with KO's against Blaydes and Cain V in a matter of seconds.

Cejudo already trying to sell the fight with Moraes like Moraes hasn't accomplished anything in the last 2 years in the UFC, focusing too much on his WSOF run. Moraes is the next champ. Fuck Cejudo and his staph belt.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aldo's knee infection might keep him out of the UFC 237.

https://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Jose...-Brazil-151979

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pretty bad ass fights this weekend. Karate Hottie v. Karolina headlined by Gaethje v. Edson.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFC 239 is fucking sick

Just announced. JDS v Ngannou and verbal agreement between Mr 3 Piece Combo Masvidal v that curly fry head fuck Asskren

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Kennedy kid might be the worst main card fighter I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Kennedy kid might be the worst main card fighter I've ever seen.
    Worse than Punk?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighter! Yeah Punk and the guy that fought him last are worse, but that was a pro wrestler vs journalist freakshow bout.

Card has basically been garbage besides the two come from behind last minute stoppages. Emmett melted MJ there, outrageous that he was awake after that.

Jack Hermansson, beast.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; March 30th, 2019 at 9:33 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin Gaethje vs. The New Anthony Pettis please. Jesus Christ.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaethje and Lando just because

Lol

Gaethje is like Pride era Chute Box type dudes.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone been paying attention to the last couple days of Conor and Khabib going at it on Twitter?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, pathetic from all involved to be honest. Got no time for prejudice bollocks or death threats. The rape stuff is insensitive to the (at this time alleged) victim too. I miss cheeky chappy star on the rise Conor, this millionaire variation is a prize bellend.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Has there ever been a worse failed drug test?

Moves down to fight the smaller man after hammering on about it for years and MM refusing to fight him because he didn’t think he made weight, claims he’s being paid to kill the division. Supposedly makes it ‘easy’, gets smashed within 20 seconds, whines constantly about it...then pops, obviously for some form of diuretic as he clearly couldn’t make the weight.

What a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Do we know for sure what TJ was popped for? I haven't really dived into it beyond his post on social media. I did find it funny, in a sad way, when Cody tweeted that he is still the champ....Completely forgetting he was obliterated in his last fight by someone not named TJ Dillashaw, a #10 ranked guy.....
    2 year suspension for EPO. Didn't contest it. You can't accidentally get EPO in your system.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BJ Penn accused of sexual abuse, drug addiction ....by his gf of the last 10 years. Holy fucking shit this just seems terrible, and explains IMO a lot about his career as well taking a nose dive these last 4-5 years.

https://m.sherdog.com/news/news/BJ-P...g-Order-152587

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overeem keeps going then. You've got to wonder the end game with Reem. He takes out everybody outside of the top 5. He's a big name who puts on exciting fights. Do they match him into another title shot, or does he take a step up and a likely smashing by a Stipe or Blaydes again?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Stipe match was an odd one because he had Stipe beat, his shitty fight IQ just beat himself as usual. I don’t think that he can beat a big powerful guy like Blades or Ngannu though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Tremendous grappling matchup in the comain between Mackhachev and Tsarukyan.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This weekend's fight card is littered with names.

Souza v. Hermannsson. I don't know if I've seen much of Hermansson but apparently in all of his UFC fights he's either not been hit or only hit once lol.

Then we have Mike Perry v. Alex Oliveria, should be a banger.

Names like Glover Teixeira, John Lineker, Carla Esparza, Jim Miller, Ben Saunders, ANDREI ARLOVSKI on the prelims again what the fuck! but these are all fighters who have very fun fights to watch more often than not. Shit I didn't even realize Court McGee was still puttin it down.

Elephant in the room, fuck it, why is Greg Hardy a fucking co-main again or even on the main card lol?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great card for fans of violence. The killshot ratio for the main card is mind boggling, particularly at UFC level. Hermansson has finished his last 5 victims, Jacare his last 6. Neither Hardy or Smolakov has seen the scorecards. Cowboy's last 8 fights have ended in him being stopped or stopping his opponent, while Mike Perry generally wins early or gets battered but survives. Glover has finished 24 of his 28 victims while his chin's fading, Cutelaba's finished 13 of 14 wins. John fucking Lineker one of the best action fighters in the sport fighting a guy who has finished his 3 UFC fights inside 2 rounds. Roosevelt Roberts is undefeated, finishing all 7 opponents. Saunders and Sato are kill or be killed. Arlovski's always in danger of getting merked. Jim Miller offensively brilliant while his chin and cardio fades. Should be a bonkers card.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put all your money on this being a card full of decisions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You called it, not for lack of action mind. That Lineker fight was a cracking scrap, loved the body work. Mike Perry, a fine poet.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of good scraps. Hermansson beat Jacare pretty much everywhere within the fight and on short notice having fought recently too. Impressive.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought he was going to put him to sleep with that guillotine in the first, that would have been a shocker. Very impressed with his output over 5 rounds on short notice. Santos looks more and more impressive every time one of his past victims fights it seems - Smith and Hermansson both top 5 fighters now after getting stopped by the big man.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al vs. Cowboy tonight, can't look past Al going to the body and getting the stoppage. If Cowboy wins though, huge. Cowboy vs. Ferguson or McGregor would be massive fights. Al's a tough fight for Ferguson or McGregor too, he can box, hits hard and tough as nails. Stylistically he can beat anybody but Khabib really.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald Cerrone, where has this come from? He looked toast this time last year, labouring to a points loss to Leon Edwards. Ragin' Al was a legit top 5 lightweight and Cowboy dominated him, walked through his best shots, even took a few digs to the body without a care. 23 UFC wins. BJ Penn had 16 wins his entire career.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great performance by Cowboy, looking really comfortable in there. Him vs Tony or Gaethje makes a great number one contender fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Khabib is Khabib - Poirier, Cowboy, McGregor, Barboza, Ferguson, Iaquinta, Pettis, Gaethje - how do you get a bad fight between any of that lot? Book any of those 8 against each other and it's pretty much a nailed on bonus for one or both parties.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Khabib is Khabib - Poirier, Cowboy, McGregor, Barboza, Ferguson, Iaquinta, Pettis, Gaethje - how do you get a bad fight between any of that lot? Book any of those 8 against each other and it's pretty much a nailed on bonus for one or both parties.
    Khabib's manager still talking about a fight with GSP.....The guy is done. And even if he wasn't, the time frame they're looking at would be almost 2 years down the road. 40 year old GSP? They're whack.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent card on Saturday, full of legends.

Rose vs. Andrade is a legit title fight. Deserving #1 contender fighting the linear, undisputed champion. It's been a minute. Andrade is an animal but she struggled with the taller fighter in Joanna, and Rose is crafty at every range. Exciting fight. Can honestly see either of them winning by TKO or submission which is a rarity in a fight at this level, both are offensively good enough in all facet's to stop anybody however they see fit. Leaning Andrade because she just seems relentless at 115 and I can see Rose being too comfortable off her back, putting her in a hole points wise.

Aldo vs. Volkanovski is a great fight. 3 round Aldo is a bad motherfucker. God he's looked good these last 2 fights. Volkanovski is a terminator as well. You've got to favour Aldo though. He's lost to the best featherweight of all time twice, and stopped early by Conor. Volk doesn't have the size and technique of Max or the punching power and reflexes of 145, pre-wang addict Conor. Can see it being a masterclass by Aldo, who will chuck himself into the big fight sweepstakes at 155 considering Max's return to the division. Aldo, Conor, Nate, Cowboy, Pettis, Ferguson, Gaethje - match them up, make money.

I don't mind Anderson vs. Cannonnier. It feels like those fights that Big Nog took against Schaub and Herman to me. Anderson can win it. Jared is a big hitter but he's limited and Silva can certainly catch him. Who knows with Anderson though. He's an enigma at this point. Being in Brazil should spark him into action like it did Nog hopefully. Would love a big knockout after all these years. He's not won a fight by stoppage in 6 and a half years. I feel old.

Other fight of note, BJ Penn vs. Clay Guida. The fight to finally push the all time great Penn below .500 in the UFC. It's mad his downfall. Since BJ's last win, Donald Cerrone has gone 24-8, including his entire UFC career and his final WEC fight. Put into context, Penn's entire career to this point consists of 31 fights. Cowboy has had more knockouts, submissions and decisions in that period since Penn's last win than Penn has had his entire career. Time flies. He loses again of course. He's going to retire having won half or less of his fights. Guida will have wins over Penn, RDA, Pettis, Thomson, Diaz and Gomi. Best gatekeeper resume ever?
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; May 7th, 2019 at 4:14 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guida will have wins over Penn, RDA, Pettis, Thomson, Diaz and Gomi. Best gatekeeper resume ever?
    Maybe. Only because we have to put into context his status as a gatekeeper and when those wins happened in terms of his opponents. I mean, I could probably look it up and see that he was no doubt ranked higher than Thomson, RDA, and Gomi at the time he beat them. BJ Penn, this win would be like when Tito beat Ken Shamrock the 3rd time. Hell even the 2nd time.

A name is a name though but context is everything.

WITH THAT SAID, there was a time where he was THE Gatekeeper. They put him against Pettis for a reason. He had a fucking great fight with Diego Sanchez. A lot of times he's been on the cusp, a fight or 2 away then blows it. Like Bisping before getting lucky against Rockhold.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was that 12 fight stretch, before the Henderson fight, where he was pretty damn formidable. Went 8-4, with 2 split decision losses in FOTY contenders and a come from behind loss against Roger Huerta where he was dominant over 2 rounds. Kenny Florian, one of the most underrated fighters of all time, smashed and stopped him but other than that he was tough as old boots and hard to prevent from getting his game going. Sanchez and Henderson got title shots for beating him, so he was the likely contender if he got past those fights. The irony that losing that close fight against Sanchez 10 years ago prevented him from getting obliterated by a prime Penn, and here we are.

Winner has to fight Jim Miller surely? Miller/Guida is one of those fights, you can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was that 12 fight stretch, before the Henderson fight, where he was pretty damn formidable. Went 8-4, with 2 split decision losses in FOTY contenders and a come from behind loss against Roger Huerta where he was dominant over 2 rounds. Kenny Florian, one of the most underrated fighters of all time, smashed and stopped him but other than that he was tough as old boots and hard to prevent from getting his game going. Sanchez and Henderson got title shots for beating him, so he was the likely contender if he got past those fights. The irony that losing that close fight against Sanchez 10 years ago prevented him from getting obliterated by a prime Penn, and here we are.

Winner has to fight Jim Miller surely? Miller/Guida is one of those fights, you can't believe it hasn't happened yet.
    Oh man, BJ back then would have murdered Clay. If I could just bottle BJ Penn when he was champ @ 155 and just watch his performances, even the loss to GSP in the superfight was a good fight. But man he was such a killer. His fight with Diego was on my birthday and Penn being my favorite fighter of all time, what a birthday present that was.

Unlike on my birthday a few years ago when Aldo got knocked out in 13 seconds lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That performance against Diego was special. 150-8 in total strikes over 22 minutes of fighting. The man landed 8 strikes. Missed 100. Made to fail on 27 takedowns! Penn landed 150 of 214. Defended 92% of strikes when defending 100+, and defended 100% of takedowns when defending more than 5. Surely the greatest defensive performance in the sport's history? GSP got hit more in every fight and he was lying on top of his man for 20 minutes in most of those.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That performance against Diego was special. 150-8 in total strikes over 22 minutes of fighting. The man landed 8 strikes. Missed 100. Made to fail on 27 takedowns! Penn landed 150 of 214. Defended 92% of strikes when defending 100+, and defended 100% of takedowns when defending more than 5. Surely the greatest defensive performance in the sport's history? GSP got hit more in every fight and he was lying on top of his man for 20 minutes in most of those.
    That headkick that just split Diego open like a melon was insane.

BJ was a violent dude. He bloodied up KenFlo pretty good as well. I still think he was robbed against Frankie the 1st time.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I have to say is if anything, I just want BJ Penn to win this fight against a tough opponent like Clay Guida.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    looking like ferguson vs. cerrone at 238

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/ufc-23...booked-chicago

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck yeah. Bonkers fight. Don't like Cowboy fighting so soon after a 5 rounder but he's always been a mad cunt.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Pretty impossible fight not to like.

With Khabib/Poirier (fingers crossed) coming around September..

woot

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whittaker vs. Adesanya and Holloway vs. Volkanovski is going to be a great event for the Aussies. Stadium show surely?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird evening of fights that. Cannonier can’t have been happy for it to finish that way. Lima’s finish if MVP was almost a fluke. Page was equipping himself well, but you rarely ever see that kind of finish. Aldo was flatter that I’ve ever seen him. Rose was busting up Andrade and fighting a more or less perfect fight, but should’ve learned from the first slam to concentrate on how she was going to land not on hanging on to the arm. I like Cruz as a commentator but he regularly stresses something so much and then gets proven wrong on it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And in sad news....BJ Penn now holds the record for longest losing streak in UFC history @ 7 straight losses. I had no idea that the UFC had this much love for the guy to even keep him fighting under their banner after 4 losses.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VERBAL agreement between Anthony Pettis and Nate Diaz to meet in August @ UFC 241. They'll be fighting at 170lbs.

Thoughts on how many days before Nate goes on Twitter backing out?

I will say this....for some "thugs" as they (Nick and Nate) like to portray, they have backed out of a lot of pro fights. I guess stick to water bottles and fighting in crowds?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holloway vs. Edgar on PPV in July. It's in Edmonton, so that will end up being an interim women's title fight or something. Poor fucker's get no luck. Guessing this has come about because Volkanovski has a blood infection.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holloway vs. Edgar on PPV in July. It's in Edmonton, so that will end up being an interim women's title fight or something. Poor fucker's get no luck. Guessing this has come about because Volkanovski has a blood infection.
    At first I was like, what the fuck are you talking about? lol. Now I get it, one of these dudes, or both, are going down for the count via injury lol.

Poor Edmonton, it's the Chris Benoit Curse.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you know that Edmonton is home to the largest shopping mall in North America? #EDMFacts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's everybody got for Lee vs. RDA? Can't look past Lee's cardio failing him over 5 rounds and catching a beating, though maybe he'll look better at 170?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was finally kind of right. Lee looked pretty solid at the weight and I still think there's a championship calibre fighter in there, but he's just not at that level yet. His game lacks nuance so it's defined by relentless pressure, pressure that savvy fighters can use against him to drain his cardio. That's what happened in the last 3 losses. He's had his moments against some elite fighters, he just hasn't got enough in his bag of tricks yet to maintain that threat against the experienced, high class and durable. Stay at welterweight, drop down a level, find somewhere that will flesh out that striking game and take another run at the top in a couple of years. I can see why the UFC want to force a Kevin Lee to be a star, he looks it, walks it and talks it, but he can't quite fight it yet.

How's the new TV deal gone down in the States? The pacing's much improved from the FOX era, and I like that events are starting earlier. It's startling how little in the way of actual names they have on the roster now that are fighting at a high level though. I mean these cards have pretty much had no ticket sellers on them besides the headliners. It's quite showing actually, how the talk 10 years ago was that boxing only produced 1 fight shows, and it's kind of swinging now. The UFC are the ones happy to slap a couple of name fighters against each other with an anonymous supporting cast, while most of the boxing promoters are doubling and sometimes tripling up on their big fights per card now.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the big difference right now between boxing and the UFC is that boxing in terms of their big big cards, they're all ppv driven. The UFC doesn't have to really give a fuck about ppv buys when ESPN is paying them a flat fee regardless of how many people tune in. So they could have 4 people, or 400,000 and it's still the same amount of money. The UFC were benefiting from the WWE's departure but now it seems they're going the same route and they should.

These days I can barely tell you who's on half the card. This past show, I didn't know half the fighters and as sad as it sounds when I read the results I was like, "Fuck yeah Ed Herman was on this bitch?? And he won!" as opposed to "Look at Aspen Ladd she's awesome!" lol. I'm getting too old to keep up with this shit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boxing is similar to UFC in its distribution nowadays. A lot of big fights, including Canelo and Anthony Joshua (the 2 biggest names in the sport), are on the DAZN subscription service in the States. The Bellator/UFC divide, with ONE coming up too, feels a lot like the Arum/Hearn/DLH divide in boxing nowadays actually. Best not fighting the best and all that. Bader, Mousasi and Lima, to name 3, are probably as legitimate as the next contender to those belts in the UFC.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boxing is similar to UFC in its distribution nowadays. A lot of big fights, including Canelo and Anthony Joshua (the 2 biggest names in the sport), are on the DAZN subscription service in the States. The Bellator/UFC divide, with ONE coming up too, feels a lot like the Arum/Hearn/DLH divide in boxing nowadays actually. Best not fighting the best and all that. Bader, Mousasi and Lima, to name 3, are probably as legitimate as the next contender to those belts in the UFC.
    I keep forgetting about DAZN. Canelo has some insane deal with them right? 30 million a fight or some shit. All I know is that it was an extreme amount of money.

I don't know much about Lima's Bellator record these days but I agree about Bader and Mousasi. Those 2 were already top 5 guys in their division when they left the UFC.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    July 20th the rematch of rematches has been set as Big Ben Rothwell goes up against Andrei Arlovski. Arlovski beat the brakes off this dude back in the Affliction days. Both guys need a win especially Arlovski

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also,

Francis v. JDS has been moved to UFC on ESPN 3 as the new headliner after T-Wood had to pull out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next PPV is badass. 2 title fights, and could be as many as 4 (Ferguson/Cerrone, Sterling/Munhoz and Suarez/Ansaroff clearly, and possibly Chookagian/Calderwood) #1 contender fights. Possible barnburner in Yan vs. Rivera too. Then to top it off, 3 former title contenders (Wineland, Double K and Lamas) all in competitive fights. This card will tell us a lot what the back end of the year will look like in terms of big fights.

Card next week is basically a rehab card for the light heavyweights. 5 of the top 11 contenders, all coming off losses, mixing it up with an upstart in Rakic thrown in the mix. I like the Santos/Ray fight as well. Santos has been out forever but has stoppage wins over Kevin Lee and Tony Martin, and is unbeaten in the UFC after 6 fights, and unbeaten overall in a decade.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    ouch..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walker, Reyes and Rakic should keep Jones busy at least, if they're matched well. Rockhold will get fast tracked too. Jones fighting regularly against dangerous guys is vital considering the rest of the champions being tough sells.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walker, Reyes and Rakic should keep Jones busy at least, if they're matched well. Rockhold will get fast tracked too. Jones fighting regularly against dangerous guys is vital considering the rest of the champions being tough sells.
    I have a feeling Rockhold is going to get fucked up at 205. He's fighting a decent dude but if he thinks he's just going to steamroll a guy like Anthony Smith, he's fucking CTE delusional.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have to see how he looks at the weight. Santos and Smith himself have shown to be harder to hurt with more endurance at 205. Rockhold certainly has the frame for 205. Looking forward to seeing how he looks, there's no real bad result for me - either he makes a run and earns the biggest title fight at 205 since Jones/DC 2, or he gets chinned on his way up.

Love the card this Saturday. One worth watching the whole thing.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have to see how he looks at the weight. Santos and Smith himself have shown to be harder to hurt with more endurance at 205. Rockhold certainly has the frame for 205. Looking forward to seeing how he looks, there's no real bad result for me - either he makes a run and earns the biggest title fight at 205 since Jones/DC 2, or he gets chinned on his way up.

Love the card this Saturday. One worth watching the whole thing.
    I hope he does well but man he's lost a steam since that Bisping 2 defeat. He's barely fought in 3 years so that's another thing. The guy had a very respectable run going for himself @ MW. I don't even know if he needed to move up as I feel he could still smash everyone at that weight class. But he will definitely add to the lack of depth 205 has in terms of "name value" and I guess resume even if it's not based on LHW fights.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighting is his side gig now I think. Guy's a legit model. Wouldn't surprise me if the reason for going up in weight would be to pack on more muscle for his Hugo Boss adverts.

Plus, he's been there and done it at 185. This 2 weight world champ thing is addictive to these fuckers. The amount of fights since Conor did it where guys have gone for strap 2 is crazy. Frankie failed a couple of times between BJ and Conor winning their second, but since then it's gone crazy.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; June 3rd, 2019 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighting is his side gig now I think. Guy's a legit model. Wouldn't surprise me if the reason for going up in weight would be to pack on more muscle for his Hugo Boss adverts.

Plus, he's been there and done it at 185. This 2 weight world champ thing is addictive to these fuckers. The amount of fights since Conor did it where guys have gone for strap 2 is crazy. Frankie failed a couple of times between BJ and Conor winning their second, but since then it's gone crazy.
    Ah ok, I just figured since he was injured quite a bit that's all that was holding him back. Did not realize he was making loot.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimi Manuwa has also announced his retirement following his KO loss Saturday

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll spend the next month eating biscuits to get in the UFC light heavyweight top 15 then. Shallow as shit.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll spend the next month eating biscuits to get in the UFC light heavyweight top 15 then. Shallow as shit.
    lol.

You're a very smart fan. Specifically talking about the UFC here. Pre death of Pride. Has LHW ever been a deep division? Post-Pride it beefed up considerably for obvious reasons. But I remember the days when all it took was for a guy to either A-have fought Chuck already or B-get a W over Mike Van Arsdale and boom, you're getting a title shot lol. Tito didn't have a lot competition either. One of his title defenses was against Patrick Cote I believe, who was a last minute replacement but still.

For me the deepest it's ever been was around the time Jones first won the championship, or maybe a year or so prior to that victory when Rampage beat Chuck and you had:

Iceman
    Shogun
    Rampage
    Couture
    Machida
    Rashad
    Forrest Griffin
    Ryan Bader
    Matt Hamill
    Tito Ortiz
    Vitor Belfort
    Jon Jones
    Stephan Bonnar
    Mark Coleman
    Lil' Nog

I'm sure I'm missing some players. But I mean, there was a good stretch I guess where it was deep but it took Pride I think to get there. The last several years it's really been Jones-Cormier-Gus. Maybe that's why Anthony Smith can't get the love. We're just not used to him yet no matter how many top guys he whips.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was last decent around 2013 I'd say. Jones, Machida, Rashad, Bader, Glover, Gustafsson, Shogun, Henderson, Davis and Lil Nog I think was the top 10, with none of them completely shot at that point. Then there was the asumption that Cormier and Rumble would end up in the division. Anderson was on his run and might have gone up if he beat Weidman. Rampage was hanging on. Mousasi and Cavalcante coming from PRIDE. Thiago Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Chael Sonnen. Yep, it was great then. 2013 comes, Shogun gets embarrassed by Chael, Hendo loses a few on the bounce, Machida and Mousasi go to MW, Rashad gets injured and gets his last win that year, Rampage leaves. Wasn't the same after that.