Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla: He's Back

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Godzilla: He's Back

My big green hero seems set to make a return appearance in 2012 courtesy of Legendary Studios.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/...dary-pictures/

As most anyone who has interacted with me on this forum could guess, I am pumped. I didn’t quite hate the Sony version of Godzilla but it was a very strong dislike. With Toho rumoured to be involved in this one, if even only from a distribution standpoint, I have faith that they won’t create a new monster and attempt to call it Godzilla, which was my largest complaint in regards to Sony’s version.

Godzilla 2000 was a lot of fun but Toho has limited resources and can’t really give Godzilla the blockbuster treatment that a studio like Legendary could. As such, I look forward to this new movie and hope it comes to fruition.

So, this is a bit early and might not garner huge interest but feel free to discuss Godzilla in general here as well. Have you seen any of his movies? What is your favourite one? Do you have interest in a big studio type Godzilla movie?

I personally own over 20 Godzilla movies on DVD and VHS. My personal favourite will always be Godzilla 1985. I still remember calling up the local video store on a daily basis as a tyke, waiting for it to arrive on VHS. They must have hated me by the time it finally arrived.

Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. King Kong and Godzilla: Final Wars were all a lot of fun as well.

Stay away from Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster though as well as Godzilla’s Revenge as they are pretty terrible, even for a Godzilla movie.
    Last edited by Matty C; March 29th, 2010 at 3:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why stay away from Godzilla vs the Smog Monster? That one was hilarity in all sorts of ways. Destroy All Monsters is my favorite as I love King Gidhorah. I own about 5 Godzilla movies.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see, I love Godzilla vs. Gigan for the silly factor (I mean, he actually talks fgs) and Godzilla vs. Megalon for the same reason. The Smog Monster just didn't endear itself to me like those two did.

I almost bought a "Jet Jaguar" t-shirt on e-bay once. They didn't have my size or I would have bought it for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I own the MST3K where they rip on Godzilla vs Megalon. So I guess I own 6 Godzilla movies.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be brilliant. I should keep an eye out for that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite was Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. I especially like the bit during Godzilla's brief rampage at the end, where he sees Shindo and remembers Lagos Island. Then with his eyes welled up with tears, he blasts Shindo and the building to pieces.

That film also happens to contain both the worst line of dialogue and delivery of said dialogue in movie history: "Take that, you dinosaur!". Hilarious and dreadful.

I still have loads of Godzilla movies on VHS. A few of them are tough to get through, as there's so much stuff with alien invaders or robots and whatnot and not enough of the big guy himself.

I remember there was a big monster night on Channel 4 years and years ago, where they featured fights from different Japanese shows/movies (Godzilla, Ultraman, etc). It was presented like a wrestling card, with discussion in-between "matches" and commentary during the fights. That was when I saw Godzilla vs King Kong for the first time.

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the 1990s Godzilla animated series, it was everything the Sony movie didnt bother with and embraced the Japanese traditions of that tenaciously unstable bond between Godzilla and the humans rather than just flat-out aggresion between both

The AVGN produced a lengthy dossier of every Godzilla movie ever...the highlight being this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbPkzk0TW9o[/ame]

DESTROYAAAAAH

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My favourite was Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. I especially like the bit during Godzilla's brief rampage at the end, where he sees Shindo and remembers Lagos Island. Then with his eyes welled up with tears, he blasts Shindo and the building to pieces.

That film also happens to contain both the worst line of dialogue and delivery of said dialogue in movie history: "Take that, you dinosaur!". Hilarious and dreadful.

I still have loads of Godzilla movies on VHS. A few of them are tough to get through, as there's so much stuff with alien invaders or robots and whatnot and not enough of the big guy himself.

I remember there was a big monster night on Channel 4 years and years ago, where they featured fights from different Japanese shows/movies (Godzilla, Ultraman, etc). It was presented like a wrestling card, with discussion in-between "matches" and commentary during the fights. That was when I saw Godzilla vs King Kong for the first time.
    I’m assuming you’re speaking of the Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah from the 1990’s? That was an excellent Godzilla movie. Actually, the whole 90’s run from the Godzilla Heisei series was pretty great aside from the introduction of baby Godzilla.

That monster night from Channel 4 sounds like something out of a Matty C dream. Seriously, I dream about this stuff. My wife laughs but secretly I think that she’s considered asking that I get some counselling.

Zarius, as said above, the entire 90’s run of the Godzilla Heisei series is actually really good. Destroyah is absolutely included in that goodness. I remember not expecting much of that particular movie and being absolutely blown away by how good it was, just a really fun, very well done Godzilla movie. Destroyah is a total badass.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I was referring to the 1990s movie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49U6r9M-9Ew"]YouTube- Godzilla vs king ghidorah clip[/ame]

That run of movies was good. I too enjoyed Destroyah, with Godzilla's body melting down. Space Godzilla also looked like a bad-ass. Ghidorah will always be my favourite Godzilla nemesis, though.

While searching for the above clip, I came across this collectible.
    http://www.collectiondx.com/system/files/DAM319.jpg

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
    The AVGN produced a lengthy dossier of every Godzilla movie ever...

Click -YouTube- Godzillathon

Any Godzilla fan should check it out when they have the time. It really is fantastic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, James Rolfe's (AVGN) Godzillathon was epic... like all his Monster Madness things he does. The guy does a movie review for every day in Oct., and we're talking 4-5 minute reviews on average. Must be a bitch to film and edit all that every single day for a month on top of doing the AVGN videos.

Once more unto the breach Pipkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is excellent news. Hopefully this is another good film franchise that is made even better by being brought into the new millennium.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Godzilla 1985 figure (Imperial Toys) stands high atop the bookshelf in my home office ... watching, waiting.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45923

This was a promotional T-shirt shown at Comic-Con, with the design of the new Godzilla.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wAd0c4gEds&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Demo of Godzilla AR installation at comic-con[/ame]

Go here if you want your Godzilla T-shirt to breath fire. http://www.talkingdogstudios.com/ar/gojira/

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Godzilla 2000 trailer always cracks me up

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxdONQH3AhM"]YouTube- Godzilla 2000 Trailer[/ame]

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a fantastic design. Close to the iconic image that I love but modernized with smoother lines. I really hope they go with something like that, Godzilla needs to look like Godzilla, not the Kraken.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and Godzilla needs to be whooping some ass too.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Godzilla 2000, "faster than crap through a goose" has become a permanent part of my phrase vocabulary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    w00t w00t. Anyone remember when Scifi channel use to do all day long Godzilla marathons? It would start at like 5 am with the very first godzilla and would go all day. F'n loved that as a kid. would set my alarm clock on saturday morning and make sure I was up with my godzilla toy ready. Bring back the godzilla marathons damnit!

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't Sci-Fi in Canada in the 80's (when I was a lad) but there was a channel that played one per day for like a month or so once per year and it was MUST SEE TV for little Matty. This was back in the day when VCRs were still pretty expensive too, so it was a real treat to see some Godzilla.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizor View Post
    w00t w00t. Anyone remember when Scifi channel use to do all day long Godzilla marathons? It would start at like 5 am with the very first godzilla and would go all day. F'n loved that as a kid. would set my alarm clock on saturday morning and make sure I was up with my godzilla toy ready. Bring back the godzilla marathons damnit!
    Cept those clever bastards would sneak in Gamera movies! I'll never forgive them for a flying turtle fighting a walking butcher knife on planet x to. . .no sorry it's over right there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm52Zlk_6vU"]YouTube - Godzilla 2012: Brian Rogers On Legendary Pictures Film Plans[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Zennie62.com
    The introduction of the Zennie62.com blog post and video interview with Godzilla 2012 Producer Brian Rogers has caused quite a stir on the Internet, with several major blogs picking up the news, paced by Ain't It Cool News.

There is an obvious hunger to see a well-done Godzilla movie, and in 3D, but mostly to overcome the ghastly flick that was Roland Emmerich's version of Godzilla referred to as Godzilla 1998, or what Brian Rogers called an "Iguana Godzilla."

A New Godzilla

To recap, in our initial discussion Rogers said that he got involved in Godzilla several years ago and by meeting "two Japanese gentlemen," one of them being Yoshimitsu Banno.

Yoshimitsu Banno was banned from making Godzilla movies after the release of his Godzilla Versus The Smog Monster, which upset Toho's Tomoyuki Tanaka, because Banno had Godzilla fly and had scenes where people were being killed by Hedorah, The Smog Monster.

But now, Tomoyuki Tanaka has passed on and 3D is all the rage: enter Banno to work with Rogers. Their desire is to reboot the Godzilla franchise as was done with Legendary Pictures Batman.

More Godzilla Updates

Here's more news that didn't make it into the first post. First, Brian Rogers said they have not settled on a script but are in the process of reading one that may work. He did not say that script was "the one." Also, they've not selected a director as of this writing.

And the rumor that WETA, the famous special effects house best known for its work on Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings movies, was involved in the Godzilla movie is not true and was dispelled by both Rogers and WETA execs who I talked to at Comic Con 2010.

But that written, both parties found the idea of WETA's involvement in Godzilla exciting.

Godzilla 2012 Internet Buzz High

Many fans want to see Godzilla fight more than one monster, but Internet chatter reveals a good humber who just want Godzilla alone, and actually fighting the U.S. Army.

Stay tuned.
    I wanted Godzilla to thrash shit on his own in this reboot. I prefer it when he's the antagonist, stomping everything in sight and creating mass panic.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alone is best for a starting point. Godzilla vs. Man is generally the most intriguing storyline.

If the reboot does well, and I hope it does pending how well it’s put together, then move on to more monsters, probably starting with Mothra as she seems to be the second most popular monster in the series.

On a personal note, I would love to see Gigan and Ghidorah with updated special effects. Those two were always the most badass in my mind.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This kind of pisses me off the more I think about it. Godzilla is the ultimate monster; nothing compares to the big green mother fucker. If you're going to reboot a storied character, you need to start from the beginning.

The original film is an allegory for nuclear disaster. I don't know if that can be as poignant as it was back in the day. It very well could be, but I'd prefer Godzilla's origin to be mysterious. Who gives a shit where he came from? When you expound too much on where a big character comes from, you usually do it/him/her a disservice. Think about the Joker in The Dark Knight; wasn't it better for him to just arrive as is rather than giving him a labored origin story? Of course it was. The unexplained is almost always scarier than the explained.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is that he needs to fight other big monsters to make the movie satisfactory. Heeellllllll naw. Godzilla's war against puny mankind is the most important and entertaining arch in his story. He wreaks havoc and tears ass on humanity because he is confused and pissed off just like most monsters. After showing us who the mother fucking boss is and doing some monster soul searching at the bottom of the ocean, he ultimately decides to pity and protect us from the forces of unspeakable evil. That's when you bring in more monster for him to fight. Otherwise, you are going against the nature of the beast.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Gareth Edwards, the British director who made Monsters, is directing the Godzilla reboot. Apparently Tim Burton also sought to direct it. I haven't seen Monsters, but given that he produced all of the effects by himself on a limited budget, I have a certain degree of faith that he can bring us something a bit more interesting than "Tim Burton's Godzilla starring Johnny Depp as Godzilla and Helena Bonham Carter as Mothra".

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank god for not using Burton. Godzilla would have been a wooden puppet that sang songs... which can be entertaining but isn't Godzilla.

I also have not seen Monsters but it was well reviewed if I remember correctly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Zilla reboot ehh?

And why the fuck would Burton want to direct a Godzliaa movie?? The guy must have his dick in everything these days, I swear on tits he's on the same level of annoying as John Cena.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashfilm.com
    Gareth Edwards‘ first monster movie, Monsters, hit Blu-ray this week and while promoting the release, the conversation obviously veered toward his plans for Legendary Pictures’ reboot of Godzilla, which he’s set to direct. Edwards obviously can’t say much in the way of specifics, but assures fans that the franchise will be handled with respect. Read his quotes after the jump.

Edwards spoke to Shock Till You Drop about the project and chose his words very carefully. After all, he’s working for one of the most secretive production companies in town, Legendary, which handles most of the DC projects for Warner Brothers (The Dark Knight Rises, Superman, etc.)

"I guess I will say I’m highly aware – and everyone involved is incredibly aware – of everyone’s opinions on what this film has to do and what it has to be. And no one will do anything but the right thing. Without addressing anything specific, everyone knows how important is to get it right."Shock got Edwards to confirm that he’s not writing the project (though he wouldn’t say who was) and then asked about his relationship to the whole Godzilla franchise."

"My earliest memories was channel 4, they showed them every Friday night. As a kid I wasn’t quite sure about the dubbing, the English-dubbed versions. They threw me for a bit. I love science fiction and, well I call them B movies but they’re not, but I love ’60s and ’70s sci-fi. But these would come on and be dubbed and it would take my kid brain to adjust to the dubbing. It took me some time to get through that."

Edwards also talked to the London Evening Standard and echoed many of those sentiments.

"Everyone involved knows what the film has to be, what’s important to me is that, as well as spectacle, you have to give a shit about what’s happening and why."
    At least he gets it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Apparently Tim Burton also sought to direct it.
    Tim Burton Godzilla would have been awesome...
    Here's a rough sketch...

The monocle is to distract the military and Johnny Depp from his giant tears...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Tim Burton Godzilla would have been awesome...
    Here's a rough sketch...

The monocle is to distract the military and Johnny Depp from his giant tears...
    I feel bad for Tim Burton. I don't care what anyone says; his Batman movies are fun idiosyncratic takes on the character. Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands are also great. Now he just has George Lucas-itis where no one around him has the balls to tell when he's screwing the pooch on a grand scale.

Burton would've botched Godzilla. You probably aren't far off with that picture. There's no doubt he would've played the "tortured soul" angle regardless of how cliche and silly that is.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burton took a nose dive at some point, it is sad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody-Disgusting.com
    Bloody Disgusting has learned of some interesting news regarding Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary's Pacific Rim, their giant monster movie that Guillermo del Toro agreed to direct about 10 days ago.

According to our sources, Legendary has asked Del Toro to re-write the screenplay so that no attacks take place in Japan. The pic is to be set in a future in which malevolent creatures threaten the earth, the planet must band together and use highly advanced technology to eradicate the growing menace.

In addition, early rumors continue to carry some truth. Apparently Del Toro has been asked (again) to turn Pacific Rim into the new Godzilla. He refused. Expect this to be a regular occurrence as it sounds like Legendary would much rather get the giant green monster back in theaters than Rim. What's interesting is that Monsters director Gareth Edwards was attached to Godzilla back in January...

Giant food for thought.

Update: AICN is attempting to debunk us, but unfortunately their sources are either wrong or lying. We stand behind our report as our sources are well in the know. This isn't just some "tipster". It's also worth noting Del Toro has been asked to make the change, and whether or not he complies has yet to be seen....
    This is big news if true. I was looking forward to Del Toro doing Pacific Rim because it's original and the story sounds nuts. This looks like typical studio meddling which Del Toro is all to familiar with by now.

I love Godzilla, but I'm certain his recognition can sell a movie by itself. Let Guillermo do something huge and unique, and let Gareth Edwards display his talents with a big-name character. Del Toro more than deserves some creative freedom at this point in his career.

Honestly, the more kaiju movies, the better.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm a bit late on this but there was news out of Comicon regarding the Godzilla reboot. The head of Legendary threw on a surprise trailer after discussing some of their other high profile upcoming releases. I have, as of yet, not actually been able to find footage of the trailer but it was met with a hugely positive reaction from those in attendance and featured a devastated cityscape, a giant millipede (!) and a quick pan of the big man himself, and much to my massive relief, it was actually Godzilla and not some terrible knock-off. Ie. Not the Sony version.

The director is Gareth Edwards, as noted he is the guy who directed the movie Monsters some time back and he sounds like he wants to make the sort of movie I’ve always hoped for: a big budget Godzilla remake that holds true to the darker tone of the original classic.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/...lla-comic-con/

I’m pumped.
    Last edited by Matty C; August 27th, 2012 at 4:12 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
    'Godzilla': Ken Watanabe Joins Cast as Production Gets Underway

12:16 PM PDT 3/18/2013 by Sophie Schillaci

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures announced Monday that principal photography has begun on next year's 3D tentpole, Godzilla, in Vancouver.

It was also announced that Inception actor Ken Watanabe has joined the cast, which already includes Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn and Bryan Cranston. Details about the storyline and characters are being kept under wraps, but as The Hollywood Reporter previously noted, Olsen will play Johnson’s girlfriend and Cranston will play his stepfather.

Monsters helmer Gareth Edwards is directing the film from a screenplay by Max Borenstein, Frank Darabont and Dave Callahan, with Mary Parent, Brian Rogers and Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni producing.

Godzilla is due to hit theaters on May 16, 2014.
    Frank Darabont and the solid cast give me high hopes that this will be the Godzilla movie I've always wanted.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's looking very promising, I agree. Darabont was a very nice surprise and I'm a big fan of Cranston. I'm optimistic for sure.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after reading this thread, I was curious in reading up on a few of the Godzilla movies that were mentioned here and also Godzilla vs King Kong. Do the movies have any relation with one another, and is the ending in the king kong one explained any further at all? Godzilla with Matt Broderick was really the only one I saw and thought it was shit and didn't bother to look into any of the other films. Maybe I will give them a closer look.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Godzilla with Broderick is shit. Most don't even acknowledge it as a Godzilla film.

There is no continuity in the first run Godzilla films (up to Godzilla 1985). They will at times give a nod to past films but its pretty disjointed. Even Godzilla's powers can change from movie to movie. As for Godzilla vs King Kong, the ending is intentionally unclear. King Kong stands tall at the end but seeing as Godzilla can swim thousands of miles under water it's not like throwing him in the ocean implies death. Basically they wanted Kong to look good for the lucrative American market as he is seen as an American monster but didn't want to embarrass the star of the show either. Thus, unclear ending.

The strung of movies between 1985 and the late 90s are the only ones with continuity. Even the ones in the 2000s were self contained only acknowledging the first movie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Hoping for a teaser trailer soon.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The picture of the statue is just concept art. Godzilla's new look won't be revealed until during the Comic-Con panel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Has anyone seen the leaked teaser trailer? Find it on reddit or something, because HOLY FUCK GODZILLA IS BACK.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That trailer is fucking legit. The Oppenheimer voiceover is amazing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Found one. Can't imagine it will be up long, though.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; October 9th, 2013 at 6:01 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Joe Rogan 100% on that one.

If that doesn't get your dick hard, then fuck you.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeahyeahyeahyeahYEAH.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Wow! Looks amazing!

Simon
    Not one of you responded to this thread title with "in Pog form!", bunch of cunts.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Alright Peter Kay.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Holy shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that Bryan Cranston at 1:39?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer looked pretty interesting. Do we know what city this is "taking place"? If it is Tokyo or an arbitrary place, I'm cool with it. If they go to New York like the 1998 film, I will be a bit disappointed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't think it will be limited to just one place. Given the massive size of Godzilla and the fact that there are multiple monsters tearing shit up, I don't think a single city can maintain that level of destruction.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite liked the camp 90's version but fuck a duck does that look incredible.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait. It all looks very promising. He's a bit streamlined from what I can tell there but undeniably in mostly original form which is great. My excitement only grows.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Looks amazing. Empire have some exclusive pics on their website as well

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not usually much of a monster movie fan, but that looks magnificent. Great trailer. I'm interested to see what Gareth Edwards does after Monster, which I found very impressive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shit, this is from the guy that made Monster? That movie was a really great surprise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I actually couldn't finish Monsters. It wasn't bad by any means, but I wasn't in the mood for a slow talky film at the time. I'll have to give it another shot. It is awesome that the director did all the CGI creature effects completely on his own.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually couldn't finish Monsters. It wasn't bad by any means, but I wasn't in the mood for a slow talky film at the time. I'll have to give it another shot. It is awesome that the director did all the CGI creature effects completely on his own.
    It's really good, but it's not at all what you'd expect after reading a description of the film.

It kind of reminded me of Cloverfield, which I adored, but not everyone feels the way I do about that film.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Cloverfield too.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloverefield is possibly the best cinema experience I've had, just loved it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Cloverfield was bloody brilliant. I loved all the online stuff before it. Made the film a million times more rewarding.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, its up there for me. Biggest problem was the amount of people who clearly didnt follow the 'Found Footage' clues at the start of the film and then groaned and bemoaned the film at the end. Its simple narrative cinema!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've already read remarks online bitching about how this will just be more "disaster porn". When did that become the latest buzzword? There's been a recent epidemic of shit heads on the internet bitching and moaning about action movies exploiting September 11.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already read remarks online bitching about how this will just be more "disaster porn". When did that become the latest buzzword? There's been a recent epidemic of shit heads on the internet bitching and moaning about action movies exploiting September 11.
    Those are the same dicks that complained that The Two Towers was offensive because 9/11.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope this movie doesn't lay on the "nuclear power is dangerous" shit too thick. These days nuclear power is actually a very safe and reliable power source. The disaster at Fukushima only occurred because that particular power plant was really old and was actually about to be retired. I don't mind the movie having a message, but going after nuclear power is dishonest and misleading at this point.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's true to Godzilla ethos it would more likely be the evil of nuclear weapons that they underscore rather than power.

I loved Cloverfield as well. Just a great monster movie. The best to come out in some time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cloverfield really excelled at creating a sense of panic.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This was briefly up on Amazon's Godzilla page:

Spoilered, just in case.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; February 4th, 2014 at 3:53 AM.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    God I can't fucking wait! Seriously that looks fantasic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible trailer. I like the brief reveal at the end. Hopefully they keep it that way!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks incredible. I love that it's apparently faithful to the tone of the original. This movie and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are by far my 2 most anticipated movies of the summer.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    No love for xmen jimmy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see that, too. As well as Winter Soldier, but Godzilla and Planet of the Apes are my 1a and 1b.

I grew up on Godzilla, and the original Planet of the Apes franchise is one of my favorite things ever.

And while I've been pretty happy with the X-Men franchise, over all, none of them have really blown me away like I thought they would.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Planet of the apes bar the burton abortion is my favourite franchise ever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    Planet of the apes bar the burton abortion is my favourite franchise ever.
    Me too. And I feel like it's criminally underrated. Especially the 3rd and 4th films. The 4th one is an absolutely fantastic movie.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Yeah 4 is pretty similar to rise of IMO. I got laughed at by my mates when I bought the bluray box set but after a night of getting fucked up and watching the lot in a row on a come down with cups of tea they were all turned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I hope this movie doesn't lay on the "nuclear power is dangerous" shit too thick. These days nuclear power is actually a very safe and reliable power source. The disaster at Fukushima only occurred because that particular power plant was really old and was actually about to be retired. I don't mind the movie having a message, but going after nuclear power is dishonest and misleading at this point.
    I watched an interview with the director who said the events of Fukishima would have a direct impact on this film. After watching the trailer I guess it'll be less "Fukishima is responsible for Godzilla", and more "Godzilla causes a Fukishima style scenario/disaster which kills Bryan Cranston's wife."

Also, he's fucking massive!
    Last edited by Marlon Dingle; February 26th, 2014 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Nuclear power is dangerous thus we use it for our weapons. I actually do hope there is some message in the movie, but what I want is Godzilla kicking ass which looks like there is a lot of. Cranston was going with more Maclom in the Middle than Breaking Bad in his speech.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The more recently built nuclear power plants are really safe. Fukushima was old and close to being decommissioned.

Anti-nuke sentiment is pretty misguided these days. Our use of coal is much more dangerous than nuclear power in the long run.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is another excellent trailer.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    This looks incredible. I love that it's apparently faithful to the tone of the original. This movie and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are by far my 2 most anticipated movies of the summer.
    No Guardians of the Galaxy?

This movie does look fantastic though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm going to be bummed if the film turns out to be less than solid. The cast seems to suggest that it's better than the average blockbuster. Juliette Binoche does't seem like the type of actress to lend her talents to a film unless it's quality.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering this whole time whether that's Rodan diving into the water.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't think WB or Legendary Pictures obtained the rights to any of the other Toho monsters. If this film proves to be a success then they'll likely be more willing to sign off on the use of their other characters. Toho was definitely a little apprehensive of sharing their properties after Godzilla '98 was such a disaster.

The "MUTO" creatures sound pretty cool on their own.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    No Guardians of the Galaxy?

This movie does look fantastic though.
    Shit, totally spaced on Guardians.

1c.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New teaser is out with some brief glimpses of new footage.

Genuinely excited for this.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been to see a film at IMAX since Inception. I think this will break that streak.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

I want to see this right fucking now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They packed this trailer with money shots...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to fucking rule.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh no, here comes Godzirra!

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can call it a Muto all they want. I know a fucking Rodan when I see one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So any large monster with wings is Rodan? The MUTOs look like insectoids.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Godzilla is sent to fight the other monsters? Where do the other monsters come from? Please explain this version of the story to me.

ps looks fucking awesome, can't wait

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    So Godzilla is sent to fight the other monsters? Where do the other monsters come from? Please explain this version of the story to me.

ps looks fucking awesome, can't wait
    Nothing's confirmed, but...