Results 15,601 to 15,700 of 15802

Thread: The Transfer Rumours Thread

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had wonderred if Veratti might go to Barca this summer as part of this Neymar deal. Him and Dyballa in for Neymar doesn't sound like bad business tbh.

Also brings down PSG's expense by 80/90m euro.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Matic has joined United.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veratti and Dybala might cushion the blow but neither of them addresses the problem of Neymar's departure. Barca sold Alexis Sanchez and Pedro over the last few years to could accommodate Neymar. Also Messi's now 30 years old and needs a successor.
    The ideal replacement could've been Mbappe but he's a renowned Real Madrid/Ronaldo fan, so I can't see that happening. I see Coutinho being linked all the time but he'd be more of a replacement for Iniesta if anything (with Veratti being the perfect "Xavi").
    But as for that big star player who you build your team around, there was no one better on the planet than Neymar. No other player comes close.

Having said that, I'm not saying Barca should keep Neymar, because it seems clear that he's trying to force his way out at this stage. There's probably not much you can do now besides put in some sort of buy back clause in the deal for when Neymar realises you don't play in Ligue 1 when you're trying to be recognised as the best in the world.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Matic has joined United.
    Really happy with this.

Matic opens up a load of viable midfield combinations that we couldn't try before. We could do Matic/Herrera with Pogba in front, Matic/Pogba with Mkhi, Matic/Carrick with Pogba, etc depending on the opposition. Basically the kind of player that allows the others the freedom to be themselves. Can't remember the last time we had someone like that.
    Will be interesting to see how Kante plays without him by his side.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Veratti and Dybala might cushion the blow but neither of them addresses the problem of Neymar's departure. Barca sold Alexis Sanchez and Pedro over the last few years to could accommodate Neymar. Also Messi's now 30 years old and needs a successor.
    The ideal replacement could've been Mbappe but he's a renowned Real Madrid/Ronaldo fan, so I can't see that happening. I see Coutinho being linked all the time but he'd be more of a replacement for Iniesta if anything (with Veratti being the perfect "Xavi").
    But as for that big star player who you build your team around, there was no one better on the planet than Neymar. No other player comes close.

Having said that, I'm not saying Barca should keep Neymar, because it seems clear that he's trying to force his way out at this stage. There's probably not much you can do now besides put in some sort of buy back clause in the deal for when Neymar realises you don't play in Ligue 1 when you're trying to be recognised as the best in the world.
    There's no one that can cushion the blow of losing Neymar. There are only three forwards of a similar standard in the world - two are already at Barca, and the other is at Madrid. If you take away the marketing aspect, which sadly is a huge part of it, and Barca's best bet IMO would be to bung half the money on a good replacement. Dybala would be one obvious choice, I don't think Coutinho fits into the Barca side as a forward (he'd be better as a long-term replacement for Iniesta) but alternatively Hazard, Griezemann or Reus. Then they would still have a lot of money to play with to strengthen the rest of the squad, which doesn't quite look to be the same level as previous Barca sides.

TBH I reckon Neymar will still end up staying.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barcelona though need action now. The team is falling behind Madrid a lot and they don't seem to be able to bring the players through they previously had.

I think they need to overhaul things a bit. I love Neymar, more than most, but I think they can in the short term replace him quite well. It is medium to longer term they need to sort out but replacing Messi will be harder if the team erodes further. Mbappe came from nowhere there's nothing to say that there isn't someone else to come in to be heir apparent in 2/3 years. Messi has, to me, another 5/6 years. Yes he will drop off but he's too good and too smart to not still be effective then even if it's for less games.

It might even be Jonas. (joking)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    TBH I reckon Neymar will still end up staying.
    I think he's going for sure. And I think he's known that he's leaving for quite some time.
    The rumours started when Barca lost to Juve in the Champion's League and Neymar was seen crying, apparently because he knew it might have been his last CL game for Barca. Then in the last couple of weeks there's been like a half a dozen stories about him saying goodbye to teammates, staff, etc. And a couple of days ago after the El Clasico friendly in Miami, he was seen leaving with a couple of Real Madrid shirts taken from his opponent after the game. There's a real feeling that this transfer is actually going to happen.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weird bit for me is all this talk about PSG throwing Barca a player as well. So it sounds like it's not an active release clause?

As a random aside didn't PSG threaten to do this with Messi if Barca didn't fuck off with their pursuit of Thiago Silva recently? Funny the Veratti stuff may have helped drive this a little

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an 'active' release clause but I think they'd prefer not to have to pay €220m for him so are now trying to do some sort of part exchange. Which Barca are not happy about because they've very little leverage.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a few saying 220m plus a player and I thought that's odd.

Makes more sense this way and if they get 30m for Aurier like is reporting today it suddenly doesn't seem beyond belief they could make this work.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...g-thiago-silva was the thing about messi release clause

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it weird that Arsenal aren't in for Mahrez at 33m or whatever. Player they've been linked with and probably more likely than Lemar to be available. You would think it makes sense.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think PSG want to bring in Alexis Sanchez as well as Neymar. Due to FFP, they'd probably want to lower the cost of Neymar. We know Wenger ain't going to budge on Sanchez, seeing how he's happy to let him see out his contract and leave on a free.
    So the Neymar deal is the only one of the two they could negotiate, especially since it's Neymar's camp that's instigated the transfer. Or more specifically its Neymar's agent, who happens to be his dad. The same guy who pocketed a large chunk of Neymar's transfer fee from Santos (something like 2/3 of it).

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Wenger will budge if he gets wind that Sanchez will go to City come next summer. Makes more sense to sell abroad than strengthen rivals again for free. Surely RVP must have taught him something

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    I find it weird that Arsenal aren't in for Mahrez at 33m or whatever. Player they've been linked with and probably more likely than Lemar to be available. You would think it makes sense.
    I think this is why.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    I think Wenger will budge if he gets wind that Sanchez will go to City come next summer. Makes more sense to sell abroad than strengthen rivals again for free. Surely RVP must have taught him something
    One of the papers (I think the Telegraph) said something about how Wenger values Sanchez' contribution for the coming season and the importance of regaining CL football, more than the transfer fee that clubs are willing to pay for him right now. He's open to a transfer if a big enough offer comes in, but so far Bayern Munich have been turned off by this price tag and I think City are just waiting for Wenger to give in, since they are under the belief that Sanchez has made his mind up about wanting to join them.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is FFP even a thing? I thought it had been neutered?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Is FFP even a thing? I thought it had been neutered?
    It's still a thing. But the whole idea is to only allow clubs to spend what they could earn, so if you inject money through sponsors that you also own, its easy to get around it. UEFA do investigate individual cases for "fraud" so I guess the smaller transfers can easily slip under the radar, where as explaining something like £200m for Neymar would be harder to do unless PSG can offset some of that with a player going the other way.
    We already know Neymar's dad is going to get a a big fat juicy fee for his work, but I imagine PSG's owners could probably pay him that without it going in the club's books.

Andy
    Seems like Mahrez is second choice if we can't get Lemar. Think either would be an upgrade on Walcott but obviously not on Sanchez. How realistic is it we replace him if he goes though? I guess that's why Wenger is gambling on losing him for free next year but being in a better position to replace him (by being back in the CL).

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just go sign Max Meyer now then

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Looks like Neymar is off then.

What a strange situation.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon he'll leave PSG within 3 years. And I bet he moves to Real Madrid.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think Milan next or something of that ilk. Depends how desperate United still are in 3 years

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're desperate for injury prone Gareth Bale right now. Of course we'll still be after Neymar in 3 years time.

I don't think Neymar would go to Milan. He's actually a Real Madrid fan, and gets on well with their players. He actually went out of his way to say goodbye to the Real Madrid players before his own Barca team mates, once he knew he was leaving.

Simon
    La Liga have fucked off Neymar's request to buy out his contract

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The buyout has been activated. Neymar's officially no longer a Barca player.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now he's officially a PSG player.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onomah loaned out to Villa. With our lack of depth and signings this is a question mark. Especially with how well he proved at the U-20s. Winks must be pretty high in Poch's plans.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Yeah, that does surprise me. Good for Villa though.

Simon
    Not that surprised in terms of his placement in the squad - he would have been fifth choice in his preferred centre mid spot. I'm more surprised that he's gone on loan rather than staying with the squad and playing for the u23s, Poch hasn't tended to loan out any players he rates, preferring to work with them personally in training. Onomah does need proper competitive football in that position though so I think it makes sense. Hopefully the Villa fans will keep us up to date on how he does.

Simon
    Anyway at least it looks like we're finally making the big signing we've been crying out for, filling a gaping hole in the side and probably providing the impetus to win the league this year.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from Paulo Gazza who do you expect our first signing to be? Was looking at reports of two attacking players from Genoa (one of them the son of Diego Simeone). I'm getting Sissoko-levels of desperation here.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Onomah has signed a contract extension too.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by thetony View Post
    Aside from Paulo Gazza who do you expect our first signing to be? Was looking at reports of two attacking players from Genoa (one of them the son of Diego Simeone). I'm getting Sissoko-levels of desperation here.
    I don't think there is even any real assumption that we will definitely sign anyone in particular. Not that we won't sign anyone, just none of the names that have come up have been particularly strongly linked. Barkley is probably the closest we have to a link that looks like it will end in a deal. Other players we've been linked with include Simeone, Foyth, Sancho, Sirgurdsson and Mahrez but none of them have ever mentioned more than an interest.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    German youngster Toljan has been linked as a possible signing. Not sold on Trips/KWP getting it done. I'd prefer Pereira though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Throw in the Mail and the Telegraph and you compete the set of the shittest newspapers out there.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Reading the BBC 'Gossip' section is quite painful. I still skim over it though. Meh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the Guardian version where they make it clear it's a piss take would be more up your street?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post

Papers like The Sun, Mail, Express, etc, all use click baits. They don't have a clue what's going on. Even that Guillem Balague talks a load of nonsense.

Unless there's a direct quote from someone confirming something, it's not worth reading.

Simon
    Even that Guillem Balague talks a load of nonsense.
    EVEN Guillem Balague? Balague is the fucking crown prince of bullshit, he was using clickbait tactics before that word had even been invented.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believed him. Dude had a show on Sky Sports and everything.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

'Up North' eh?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the people at Spurs surely Danny Rose shouldn't be making that comment, but I suppose it's nicer than hearing someone say they want to win things, better than saying that they want more money. Of course he has already played up north at the mighty Sunderland.

Simon
    That sort of thing would worry me if it came from anyone else, but Danny Rose has always been fairly honest and open in interviews, he seems a proper Yorkshireman who doesn't like to bullshit and offer pointless platitudes.

He's just caling it how he sees it, as he's always done - I don't for a second think this is him pushing his way out the door (whereas with anyone else it would almost certainly mean just that), although that doesn't mean he will definitely stay. He's said this sort of thing plenty of times before while also saying that he's very happy at the club, so I'm not worried at all. And really there's nothing in that quote that's unreasonable - any top-end player who is reaching his late-20s and hasn't won anything would have that on his mind, and there are inferior players in his position earning two or three times what he does, so he's spot on about the wages too (not included in the quote above, but in the same interview he said he knows what he's worth and expects to be paid it).

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Yeah, he's an honest lad. He said on Sky Sports last year that the best season he ever had was up at Sunderland.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As anyone's would be.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post

why does Europe have the most shit and contradictory sports coverage I have ever seen? Barcelona must have agreed and unagreed about 25 times in the last week

just like how in every transfer window, every major international star is rumored to go to Man U. Messi, Ronaldo, Griezman, etc etc

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't that happen on a 24/7 loop on sports media in the states? I swear last time I was over (2 months ago) they were talking about Lebron leaving and going pretty much EVERYWHERE.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Dembele's about to join Barca. He hasn't shown up for training today and BVB have rejected the first bid. Apparently the player is confident a deal will be made, and has already made plans to move to Spain.

Simon
    Oh that reminds me re. Rose - he's literally just bought a new house in the area in the past month. I know this isn't the same enormous deal it would be for the average person on an average wage, but neither does it speak of a man who has decided he wants to leave.

Spedizzo - not sure what it's like with Yank sports (I think you're American right?) but the transfer market in football is an industry in itself, stories about players moving clubs are what people want to read and they sell advertising space, so the papers have to make shit up to meet the demand.

Andy
    Can Spurs afford to smash their wage structure before they move stadium or even within the next few years? Otherwise all your good players will leave like they did at Arsenal.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Can Spurs afford to smash their wage structure before they move stadium or even within the next few years? Otherwise all your good players will leave like they did at Arsenal.
    I feel like it is destined to happen next summer. Kane for £200M. Dele for £150M. Erickson for £75M. Toby for £75. Dier for £50.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I suspect the fact we signed a load of players to new contracts in the six months or so before the new TV deal was no coincidence. But it strikes me as quite a cynical thing to do to players you presumably hope to keep happy, and I don't think it will work anyway - if you agree a £50k a week deal for Alli six weeks before a new TV deal that puts players of his quality on twice or three times that wage, saying "yeah well you just signed a new contract so we won't discuss a new one" isn't going to hold much water, certainly not for long.

I think what Levy is doing is for the good of the club - he's trying to keep us financially stable while the stadium move happens around us, and I suspect he probably has one eye on the transfer market crashing (as it surely will in the next few years...?) in which case teams with manageable wages should be in a much better position - but in the short-term it's incredibly frustrating. There isn't a single player in our first team who is earning what comparable PL players earn, and in many cases they are earning significantly less. And that isn't viable long-term. The only players I am confident of keeping regardless of offers from elsewhere are Kane and Lloris, but I'm sure even they could have their heads turned if the offers were big enough.

However it is worth bearing in mind that our wages are only low by PL standards and (not that this is any way useful to us as a bargaining tool) it is more a case of all the other top PL sides overpaying their players rather than us underpaying; compared to the top sides from elsewhere in Europe we pay pretty well. Just for example - all reported, obviously there's no guarantee these are all correct - Herrera is earning more than Modric, Lingard is earning more than Saul, Fabregas is earning more than Verratti, Lovren and Mustafi are in the same wage bracket as Godin.

As I mentioned before, I think the Walker money might go towards offering improved deals for players...we will have to wait and see I guess. Maybe Rose will be a good test case - you can guarantee that if he gets bumped up to a more appropriate wage then literally everyone else in the side will expect similar treatment, with good reason.
    Last edited by Simon; August 10th, 2017 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't they pay less tax in those countries too though?

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think North America's media coverage is as flip-floppy as I've seen following football. The Coutinho/Neymar/Lukaku/Barkley/Ronaldo (I could go on) back and forth has driven me mad. I choose to ignore almost everything until I see it as official.

I understand you guys have some slimy publishers but there has to be some kind of standard.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats all that about with Danny Rose then?

Simon
    Don't they pay less tax in those countries too though?
    Fair point I forgot about that

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Whats all that about with Danny Rose then?
    He wants a pay rise and to move up north (to one of the Manchester clubs probably)

Spurs are in the same position as Arsenal a decade ago. Trying to keep team together whilst paying for a new stadium is tricky.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would like some more cash.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck, we shouldn't have signed Robertson and went after him.

Simon
    He won't be going. Huge deal made out of very little. Not sure what he would gain from going to Liverpool anyway.

In any case, if Rose wants to move to a club with better chances of winning trophies he best get cracking on the language classes because City won't want to him and we won't sell him to United or Chelsea.

Simon
    Rose fined two weeks' wages maybe this was more serious than I thought. Ah well, if he forces his way out I'll look forward to seeing him return to the pretty average player he was before Pochettino got to work on him.

Simon
    He has apologised though.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I am quite concerned by all of this. Particularly the timing of it all. Couldn't have come at a worse time, really.

It's going to be a long 3 weeks...

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness for Davies and the level he's maintained. He's more important than ever right now.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I have more faith in Trips than Davies, to be honest.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Fuck, we shouldn't have signed Robertson and went after him.
    Should have gone for Kieran Tierney, just like every other club in the world needing a brilliant left back who is only going to get better and better.
    TAPS AFF!

Simon
    From what I've seen of Tierney he does look really good, didn't he score an absolute screamer the other day as well?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    He did score a cracker.

https://twitter.com/donaldlivingst3/...14878561304576

He's miles from the finished article but for 19 hes fucking incredible.
    TAPS AFF!

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tinpot league/cup my nan could've scored that etc

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Ken, Huddersfield and Burnley et al are fucking QUALITY!
    TAPS AFF!

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hats off to burnley for beating the 9 random guys put together wearing Chelsea kits

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Mbappe was an unused sub in the first game of the season, apparently because he's about to join PSG.
    Their attack will look ridiculously good.

Simon
    Wonder if that means Cavani or Moura might move. Or maybe even Draxler - they've now signed two superstars who prefer to play in his position
    Last edited by Simon; August 14th, 2017 at 1:57 PM.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mbappe won't go until next summer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon they would go with something like:

Cavani
    Mbappe------Neymar-----Di Maria
    Verratti----Motta
    Kurzawa---T.Silva---Marq---D.Alves

That would be their best possible lineup IMO. Neymar prefers to play down the center where he can influence the game more (where he plays for Brazil), which leaves the left wing free for Mbappe. Moura and Draxler would have to be the two that look elsewhere if they can't accept a spot on the bench, I think.
    Jan Oblak has been linked recently to take over the keeper's position, which makes that a solid team.

And yeah as BBF said, I don't think Mbappe would leave until next summer. Monaco announce their squad numbers and tweeted something about Mbappe taking the #10 shirt for this new season. And I'd have thought PSG, Madrid, etc would wait and see how Mbappe performed over another whole season before committing to a big money move. It's not like they need to worry about the player ageing in that time.
    But I brought this up as its the rumour that's come out recently. As a matter of fact, the links started a few days ago and THEN the player was dropped to the bench, which added more fuel to the fire.

Simon
    The left side of the defence isn't great. Kurzawa is pony and Silva looks like age is catching up on him a bit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant as an attacking team it's solid. As a complete team, you'd probably have to change things around a bit. They also still have Matuidi they could use in midfield, so there's him to consider in the lineup as well.
    But whatever, that's not my problem. This is just how I'd line up if I was using PSG on FIFA.

Simon
    Matuidi would play ahead of Motta I think. They're getting shot if Krychowiak which is a surprise to me, every time I've seen him e has looked class.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motta, Rabiot and Verratti as the central two. Matuidi is done.

Simon
    Done how? Matuidi is absolute class and Motta is like 35. Obviously Verratti is the stand-out but I'd have Matuidi ahead of Rabiot as well (Rabiot is another class player we apparently could have signed if not for Levy's haggling, think we refused to pay an asking price of about £20m...would probably cost what, three times that?

EDIT: Oh were you talking about Matuidi leaving? Just read that he might be going to Juve.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Per Sky Sports.

TRANSFER WINDOW TO CHANGE?

Premier League clubs will discuss the proposed introduction of a new summer transfer window that closes before the opening game of next season.

It is understood talks will take place between every club next month about whether to change the deadline of the current window, which closes nearly three weeks after the first game of the season.

Sky Sports News has been told by sources that the "majority" of top-flight clubs currently favour an earlier closure, and the issue could be voted on during their next shareholders' meeting in September.

At least 14 of the Premier League's 20 clubs must agree for a new rule to be introduced.

One consideration is whether Premier League clubs will be weaker if the summer window closes in the middle of August.

Clubs from other European leagues, including Spain and Italy, would still be allowed to sign players from England in line with their own domestic deadlines.

Simon
    Makes sense. The current system makes no sense whatsoever.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it already happens unofficially, they need to open up the window on the other end to compensate. The day after a teams season is over (league or cup whatever is last), their players should be available for contact for possible transfers and for them to contact players/agents. No reason to wait until July 1 to make stuff official.

But I agree that it should be closed by the time the first game is played.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Personally I would like to see it bought in on the Football League as well, We are at a point were we are 5 games in by the time the window shuts, And if a PL club raids your best player on deadline day and you have no time to do anything you are fucked.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right but if that happens in the new system you're fucked as well because that problem is that there is a deadline rather than when it is

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Matuidi's about to sign for Juventus, for €15m. Probably would've been twice as much if he was coming to England.

Simon
    That is a ridiculous bargain, Matuidi is the boss.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got any details about Asensio's buyout clause?

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Zlatan apparently going to rejoin United this week.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would he fit in?

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I have no idea. I don't see him as the type who wants to be an impact sub, or only start the random game here and there to give Lukaku a rest.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the plan was always to re-sign him in the January transfer window and give us a fresh boost during the latter half of the season where fixtures become congested (assuming we're still in all the other competitions). Right now, Lukaku's the only real out and out striker in the squad with guys like Martial and Rashford playing most games out wide. You have to bare in mind that Zlatan will be 36 years old by the time he fully recovers and gets back on the pitch, so he's going to have to be rotated whether he likes it or not.

What's interesting is the news that he might sign as soon as next week. That of course allows us to register and play him earlier than initially thought, which is only a few months after his last deal expired. ESPN said something about his wages being significantly reduced, which makes me wonder if he's taken the pay cut due to the fact that he'll be signing the contract earlier and getting paid while he's still out of action, which would balance out the higher wage he'd get on a shorter deal.

Mourinho's toyed with the 3-5-2 formation a bit during preseason, where we used Rashford, Martial and even Mkhitaryan as the second striker. Having Zlatan and Lukaku up front would be perfect for this (although it would require another wingback, which is what Perisic was supposed to be for).

Either way, I'm happy if he re-signs. I was more than happy with the squad as it is. Having someone like Zlatan back is a massive boost.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great option in games where they are struggling to break down a defence. Try something different. Great for Europe too.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he was coming in a coaching/player role. Any truth to that?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the big man's back.
    Officially announced today. I read the rumours about the coaching role but I don't think anything's confirmed at the moment.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zlatan will lift the Champions League trophy this year.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Him or Leigh Griffiths.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Chelsea agree a fee with Arsneal for the Ox. I've read £35M. Not bad for Arsenal if so.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if arsenal will go back in for j Evans. Looks like he will be moving one way or another with Leicester now in