Results 15,401 to 15,500 of 15802

Thread: The Transfer Rumours Thread

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    They are. Thats just football these days though I suppose.

Funnily enough even with 2 good signing today the best thing to happen was this.

Saw that on twitter, nice to see.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Over paying for young English players seems like the norm these days, and that's before factoring in the inflating transfer fees we've seen over the last 18 months.
    Having said that, £30m for Pickford is crazy when you compare that to other keepers around the world. I can't remember exactly but wasn't around £30m what Madrid were about to pay for De Gea a couple of years ago before the dodgy fax machine broke down the transfer on deadline day?
    It's nuts, we've got Woodman going out on loan this year to get more experience but in all honesty he's probably better than half the keepers in the prem now, how much is he going to be worth in a couple of years?

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which keepers would you say he's better than

Simon
    They are. Thats just football these days though I suppose.

Funnily enough even with 2 good signing today the best thing to happen was this.

really happy for him.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Which keepers would you say he's better than
    He's excellent under crosses, commands the area well, can play a little with the ball at feet and is a very good shot stopper, his only real issue is age and experience, he's as good as Pickford so take it from there.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems a bit outlandish

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Not really, Pickford wasn't supposed to play this season but for an injury to Minone he'd have probably still been at Sunderland as a backup, or been loaned out again at Christmas, until lucky circumstances this year he'd been bouncing around the loan circuit.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get why people go on about transfer fees any more. Since the last TV deal these clubs have bottomless pits of money to spend.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's a bit mind numbing hearing it over and over again. Money in football has gone up considerably so the fees have gone along with it. £30m for Pickford is only crazy when compared to past deals before the big TV deal was in place, but those numbers are irrelevant to today's market - Championship clubs are spending half that money like it's nothing on players from the same league (Kodjia for 15m etc) so why is it that absurd for a top Premier League club to spend double that on an outstanding young keeper who has performed at the highest level?

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    He's excellent under crosses, commands the area well, can play a little with the ball at feet and is a very good shot stopper, his only real issue is age and experience, he's as good as Pickford so take it from there.
    This is such shit, you have nothing to base this claim on, he's played a handful of League Two and Scottish Premiership games. At this point you can't even say he's better than someone like Dan Bentley who has played very well at a higher standard of football for a lot longer let alone half the Premiership!

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael Keane - £25m

Meanwhile
    Lindelof - £30m
    Nathan Ake - £20m

Just bloody sick of people overpaying for young English talent tbh

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Keane on loan and he didn't play much lol same with lingaard

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I feel for Ben Mee in all of this.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always mee, mee, mee with you

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumours coming out tonight that Rooney and Giroud are about to complete their moves to Everton. I think The Sun are the source so it's probably a load of bollocks. The story is that Rooney's on a free, while Giroud will come in for £20m.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I feel for Ben Mee in all of this.
    He will have Tarkowski to partner him now. The fucking SNAKE.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumours coming out tonight that Rooney and Giroud are about to complete their moves to Everton. I think The Sun are the source so it's probably a load of bollocks. The story is that Rooney's on a free, while Giroud will come in for £20m.
    Everton are mugs paying 250k a week to Rooney. Have they not watched him the past couple of years.

Shame to see Giroud go, useful player even if he would be a sub at this point. If he is sold then wonder if Alexis will stay.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Surprised Pepe has ended up at Besiktas. Thought he could do better.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah bit of a weird one. Aruna Kone to Turkey and looking like Gael Clichy off.

Turkish paper reporting Darren Bent as a target for Sivasspor but they are the ones who signed Kone so seems a bit far fetched

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Everton are mugs paying 250k a week to Rooney. Have they not watched him the past couple of years.

Shame to see Giroud go, useful player even if he would be a sub at this point. If he is sold then wonder if Alexis will stay.
    No way on earth will we be paying him 250k a week!

Personally I wouldnt have him if he offered to play for nothing.

The Rosk
    Still can't wrap my head around the fact that we have John Terry. I have hated him with a passion for 15 years, but now he is at my club. I'm confused lads.

Simon
    Stop supporting them. Only realistic option.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully his back is so knackered he barely plays

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I felt the same when we signed Lee Bowyer, then just as I'd managed to purge the memory we signed Joey bloody Barton.

You'll get through it mate, just stay strong and resist any temptation to join in with the inevitable 'well he's alright really' talk from some of your fellow fans.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way on earth will we be paying him 250k a week!

Personally I wouldnt have him if he offered to play for nothing.
    That is what is being reported. He is on 300k at United so would make sense he would be paid a similar amount to that surely...

The Rosk
    I saw on my usual VillaBlog site the owner saying "Terry has done nothing that all of us haven't done in our 20s". I don't recall pissing on strangers and being racist and fucking friends over in my 20s.

Not going to that site again.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You thinking of getting one Simon?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what is being reported. He is on 300k at United so would make sense he would be paid a similar amount to that surely...
    Depends how much he wants to play for us again I suppose.

We wont pay someone that much.

Simon
    You thinking of getting one Simon?
    No mate, I like my team

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends how much he wants to play for us again I suppose.

We wont pay someone that much.
    You seem very confident, but with the new owner you have a fair bit of cash and maybe he is looking at shirt sales etc.

The Rosk
    Football is bollocks. I'd much rather watch Reech in a trequartista role at the moment.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem very confident, but with the new owner you have a fair bit of cash and maybe he is looking at shirt sales etc.
    Shirt sales are irrelevant. Our deal with kitbag means we get a set amount each year. We could sell 10 million Rooney shirts (to who I have no idea..) and it still would not make a difference.

Obviously we are spending a bit more this season and will pay a bit more but we wont be tripling our wage structure. It just wont happen, especially for someone who wont be our best player.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole "we'll get our money back from shirt sales" thing is a myth. Even with your traditional kit deal, the kit manufacturer gives the club a lump sum every year in exchange for a large percentage of each shirt sale. Companies like Nike and Adidas keep around 80% of the shirt sale income. You'd have to sell a shit load to pay off Rooney's wages.

Anyway, there's still no confirmation on the details of the deal and one story I've read (besides the one where the move would be a free transfer,) is that this might be a loan to Everton, with United paying some of his wages. Which might work out OK for all parties involved.
    Assuming we'd be willing to let him go for free, and assuming no one is willing to take him off us due to his high wage demand, the loan could be a good compromise.

Simon
    The whole "we'll get our money back from shirt sales" thing is a myth. Even with your traditional kit deal, the kit manufacturer gives the club a lump sum every year in exchange for a large percentage of each shirt sale. Companies like Nike and Adidas keep around 80% of the shirt sale income. You'd have to sell a shit load to pay off Rooney's wages.
    The shirt sales aren't that important for the reasons already mentioned, but sponsorship and image rights are hugely important. With all players, their clubs take a percentage of the image rights (usually 50/50 I think) and for the superstars this can be an insane amount of money - so basically the club pays an inflated wage, but get it back with interest in the money they make from image rights.

I don't know exactly how this relates to Rooney because he's in a weird situation - a superstar name who is no longer a superstar player (arguably hasn't been for years of course) and so might not be especially valuable in that regard any more; it's unlikely he's going to be on the front of FIFA or heading a Nike campaign again, for example. That sort of thing is what makes a top player worth wages way in excess of what anyone else is worth, and even what you might think they should be worth in terms of their football ability. So yeah you're right that specifically shirt sales are not a big issue, but the general idea of a player's name and image paying for their wages is absolutely huge business.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on now, Rooney is still a huge commercial draw. He's legit one of the most famous players in the World and if you don't think Everton will be pushing his face and image all over sports media to raise their profile across the World then you're deluded.

Rooney has no reason to take a paycut. Pay the man or move on.

Simon
    You say that Beefy and no doubt he would be pushed by Everton as the superstar he once was...but the HUGE money in terms of worldwide advertising? He's done on that level I would say - Neymar, Ronaldo, Hazard and Ibrahimovic are featured more heavily for Nike, arguably Harry Kane now as well. Obviously he doesn't get the England rub any more either now that he's not getting picked.

I'm not saying he is no longer a hugely recognisable face, but the big companies pay for players who they see as representing their brand and that means people who are currently successful, with an emphasis on youngsters. Rooney is finished in that respect I would say. He has no reason to take a pay cut because he's getting paid a shitload at United because of his status when he signed his latest contract, but that status has diminished now and he has no chance of getting the same sort of contract anywhere else.

As RuneEdge says, United paying part of his wages might be the compromise - say he's on £300k a week now, if he takes a £100k a week pay cut, United pay £100k a week and Everton the remaining £100k a week, maybe everybody's happy - United get £200k a week off the books, Rooney gets back playing while earning more than he could probably get anywhere else, and Everton get an *insert adjective here* player for a wage they can afford within their budget.
    Last edited by Simon; July 5th, 2017 at 9:54 AM.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine replacing Lukaku with Rooney, fucking hell.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David Beckham makes more in merchandising/advertising/image rights than any footballer in England and he's not kicked a football in five years.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    David Beckham makes more in merchandising/advertising/image rights than any footballer in England and he's not kicked a football in five years.
    Even if that is true (source?) that is a ridiculous comparison, Beckham is way beyond Rooney's level of fame and is a more general celebrity than Rooney, partly through choice. He also exploits his image in a way which Rooney will never be able to, because David Beckham looks like David Beckham and Wayne Rooney looks like Wayne Rooney.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's ridiculous to the extent that he's David Beckham but still they're the two biggest names in English football the last 20 years by a long shot. Rooney is absolutely a marketable commodity for any club looking to raise their profile in Asia, Africa or the US because he's the only active English player who would be anywhere near to being on the radar in those markets.

Whilst Rooney isn't getting the deals that Ronaldo and Neymar are I don't accept that there's a direct correlation between what a player is doing on the pitch and how marketable they are. We live in a name-brand society and Wayne Rooney is a name-brand.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Come on now, Rooney is still a huge commercial draw. He's legit one of the most famous players in the World and if you don't think Everton will be pushing his face and image all over sports media to raise their profile across the World then you're deluded.

Rooney has no reason to take a paycut. Pay the man or move on.
    Manchester United's (and to a lesser extent England Captain) Wayne Rooney is the draw. Nobody will give a fuck about Everton's Wayne Rooney.

The potato headed charisma vacuum is hardly David Beckham is he?

Generally people support football clubs, not football players.

This world wide marketing thing is a myth anyway.
    Last edited by MMH; July 5th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is David Beckham.

Simon
    This world wide marketing thing is a myth anyway.
    It's not. I did a fair bit of reading around it a while ago (I'm a pretty cool guy) and it's serious money, to the extent that we're starting to see people trying to work the system, agents pushing their players towards specific clubs dependent on who the players/clubs are sponsored by with a view to '360 marketing'...I don't remember the full logic off the top of my head but basically they look to get, for example, Adidas players at Adidas clubs so that all of the image money is limited to as few companies as possible. Neymar is touted as a model of the 360 deal, Nike making an absolute fortune out of him as one of their players playing for one of their clubs.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It's not. I did a fair bit of reading around it a while ago (I'm a pretty cool guy) and it's serious money, to the extent that we're starting to see people trying to work the system, agents pushing their players towards specific clubs dependent on who the players/clubs are sponsored by with a view to '360 marketing'...I don't remember the full logic off the top of my head but basically they look to get, for example, Adidas players at Adidas clubs so that all of the image money is limited to as few companies as possible. Neymar is touted as a model of the 360 deal, Nike making an absolute fortune out of him as one of their players playing for one of their clubs.
    It works for only a few players at a few clubs. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar because they are icons. People like Rooney are dependent on the club they play for as the club is the brand.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Lacazette confirmed. Hopefully he can come up with the goods, though I'm wondering why seemingly no-one else was in for him.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlebsfall View Post
    Lacazette confirmed. Hopefully he can come up with the goods, though I'm wondering why seemingly no-one else was in for him.
    FUCK OFF, JESUS.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    #LacaNewSigning

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlebsfall View Post
    Atletico Madrid were in for him before the transfer ban. Be interesting now to see who leaves.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine replacing Lukaku with Rooney, fucking hell.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works for only a few players at a few clubs. Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar because they are icons. People like Rooney are dependent on the club they play for as the club is the brand.
    Fans of football clubs are loyal, but the ones who follow or fanboy specific players are usually fickle. Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar or even Depay have them because they're still on top or they're still young enough to grow into a top player. Fanboys want to back Depay so they can brag and say "I was there from the start".
    Rooney isn't anywhere near that level any more, so his appeal has faded. No one's going to want to fanboy Rooney, in fear of being mocked (cuz he's shit lolz).

People ignore the thought that a new signing will probably not have a huge impact on shirt sales themselves, but rather on what name gets printed on the ones they'll do sell. I can't imagine many people going out and buying an Everton shirt if they weren't previously going to do so. But if you had already decided on getting one, chances are you'll probably get "Rooney" printed on it now. That's the kind of impact people should expect.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    FUCK OFF, JESUS.
    So if you don't sign anyone, it's "why don't we sign anyone?"
    When you do sign someone, it's "why were we able to sign him?"

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lukaku to Man U for £75m.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon Rooney will be part of that deal?

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could well be. Wonder where that leaves Chelsea?

Morata goes there?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not accepted the offer....

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait for the dab offs at Old Trafford.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not accepted the offer....
    Its on BBC now MMH, sorry mate...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its still not actually confirmed. There's sources claiming a deal hasn't been made yet.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its on BBC now MMH, sorry mate...
    It was BBC who broke it. The club say nothing has been arranged.

No need to say sorry! Im not that bothered. He is a good striker obviously but we were fighting it out as best of the rest before he got here, did the same whilst he was here and will do the same (maybe more) when he leaves.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    And £75mil is pretty decent. Get a clause where stormsy has to play against you instead of the Roman and you're onto a robbery.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard the name Stormsy aboout 10 times this week and have no idea who that is!

He can be easy to play against. Just play an offside trap/high line and he will stand five yards offside demanding the ball then moans about not receiving it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Stormzy.

Who also featured in that video with Pogba when his transfer was announced.

Simon
    Stormzy is the man. His album is fantastic and unlike a lot of grime his music is thoughtful, funny and intelligent. Him being outspoken about his depression has probably saved a shitload of young black boys' lives as well, the most at risk group when it comes to suicide.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    But mainstream for you Simon or did you like him before he was NME and radio 1?
    TAPS AFF!

Simon
    I don't have time to listen to basically anything these days but I think the mainstream has a lot more good stuff at the moment...Stormzy and Bugzy Malone both had albums out that IMO are better than anything from the UK in years. I'm a latecomer to Stormzy too, I had vaguely heard of him and knew Shut Up but I'm not up on grime really.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chelsea have apparently matched United's bid for Lukaku (minus the fee's United were giving Raiola). The rumours say the United medical was due for today and will still go ahead providing the player hasn't changed his mind last minute.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the odds of Van Dijk to Everton have been slashed. Where's all this money coming from?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Rooney at Everton then, not sure he's a straight replacement for Lukaku...

And we've been quoted £25m for McCarthy? Can't see Rafa paying that, shame as I think he could have been a good buy for us.
    Last edited by Rip; July 8th, 2017 at 11:16 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any truth to the Dier rumors around United?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the price quoted, I hope not. He's the kind of player we need but for how much Spurs are asking, you'd expect a world class player in this position.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's going to be the best in the league

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the odds of Van Dijk to Everton have been slashed. Where's all this money coming from?
    A billionaire chairman with links to Usmanov basically.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow cant believe Wolves have got Ruben Neves, what a signing.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the power that some agents have, how's this any different to when we had 3rd party ownership like the days with Tevez and Kia Joorabchian?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No different to me

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a bit fitter. Might be out to shove it up some arses (not literally).

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cunt.

Him not you.

Actually....

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

Simon
    Your hatred of him has always seemed weird to me MMH. He was too good for Everton and joined a much bigger team that weren't rivals...I mean I get than in ideal world he would have done a Le Tissier and stayed there forever but hating someone for not being one of that incredibly rare loyal breed is mad. He wasn't Figo or Campbell, just a normal kid who outgrew your side and went to a bigger team that could fulfil his ambitions.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Your hatred of him has always seemed weird to me MMH. He was too good for Everton and joined a much bigger team that weren't rivals...I mean I get than in ideal world he would have done a Le Tissier and stayed there forever but hating someone for not being one of that incredibly rare loyal breed is mad. He wasn't Figo or Campbell, just a normal kid who outgrew your side and went to a bigger team that could fulfil his ambitions.
    Mate, its not just me who thinks that way about him!

He left us when he was 18. We offered him the biggest deal we had ever offered a player, he had never scored in a derby (or won one), never captained the club he loved, never won anything with us etc etc. He gave us a year and a half before fucking off at the first opportunity By slapping in a transfer request on the last day of the window leaving us with no time to replace him.

The year before we finished 17th, so he left us in the shit doing that as he was one of, if not our best player. I think we gave him away at the price too as he forced our hand.

By some miracle we came 4th that season! Maybe we could have done even better with him here.

Then he does his badge kissing stuff to the Gwladys Street (On the day that Everton legend Alan Ball died no less), released a shite book which was so scathing of Moyes (and untrue) that it ended up in court on libel charges and he also neglected to mention Colin Harvey in the people who helped build his career when he was probably the most important (which he has admitted since).

All this whilst having his once a blue always a blue shit. All of a sudden now he is shit he starts flashing his drawers at us saying he is a boss blue and has been all along (he is not, at best he has a soft spot for us) and would only want to play for us.

Is Sol Campbell a Spurs fan? I dont know. But even then you got some decent time out of him. We got fuck all before he couldn't wait to leave the first chance he got.

We all knew he would go one day, but when he was 23-24, give us some time with a top player, create some memories etc, but no, first chance he got. Would have been nice to get something out of true blue Wayne. But no we did not get that. It makes it worse because his whole narrative was the "massive blue" thing.

He is a fucking rat who showed me (well confirmed it..) that football is merely a business with zero soul. Then to make it worse we bring him fucking back! We will probably make him captain too! There is no pride left in football, this move shows that. The fact that you can not understand the hatred shows that, its football hatred by the way, I have nothing against him in real life, its his decision etc, in football terms he is my pantomime villain and always will be.
    Last edited by MMH; July 9th, 2017 at 1:05 PM.

Simon
    Yeah I know, and I don't get it at all.

He left us when he was 18. We offered him the biggest deal we had ever offered a player, he had never scored in a derby (or won one), never captained the club he loved, never won anything with us etc etc. He gave us a year and a half before fucking off at the first opportunity By slapping in a transfer request on the last day of the window leaving us with no time to replace him.
    He maybe could have given you a little bit longer but equally the club could have rejected his transfer request, there was no talk of him forcing the move through IIRC?

The year before we finished 17th, so he left us in the shit doing that as he was one of, if not our best player. I think we gave him away at the price too as he forced our hand.
    Doesn't the first part of this sort of matter though...he was one of the biggest names in the country playing for a team fighting relegation, and had an offer from a team fighting for the title.

By some miracle we came 4th that season! Maybe we could have done even better with him here.
    That's purely hypothetical though - presumably his sale brought in a lot of the players that saw you improve. It's more logical to assume that you were better off without him if you went up 13 places after he left.

Then he does his badge kissing stuff to the Gwladys Street (On the day that Everton legend Alan Ball died no less), released a shite book which was so scathing of Moyes (and untrue) that it ended up in court on libel charges and he also neglected to mention Colin Harvey in the people who helped build his career when he was probably the most important (which he has admitted since).
    The book thing was out of order yeah fair enough. I don't have a problem with the badge kissing and the "Once a blue" thing though, because I don't see him leaving as disloyal. He didn't leave for a rival, he didn't go on strike, he just moved for the good of his career. It's completely reasonable that he could still love Everton while recognising that he needed to leave to make the most of himself - which has been proven right when you look at what he's achieved in his career.

Is Sol Campbell a Spurs fan? I dont know. But even then you got some decent time out of him. We got fuck all before he couldn't wait to leave the first chance he got.
    You'll struggle to convince me it's anywhere near as bad as the Campbell thing. If Rooney had deliberately wound his contract down and then moved to Liverpool on a free I'm sure you'd think that was a lot motse.

We all knew he would go one day, but when he was 23-24, give us some time with a top player, create some memories etc, but no, first chance he got. Would have been nice to get something out of true blue Wayne. But no we did not get that. It makes it worse because his whole narrative was the "massive blue" thing.

He is a fucking rat who showed me (well confirmed it..) that football is merely a business with zero soul. Then to make it worse we bring him fucking back! We will probably make him captain too! There is no pride left in football, this move shows that. The fact that you can not understand the hatred shows that, its football hatred by the way, I have nothing against him in real life, its his decision etc, in football terms he is my pantomime villain and always will be.
    Not having it. Don't think you should have signed him because he's finished as a top level player, but I think this is a rare example where 'bitter' - the most freely thrown about adjective in football, surely - is the correct term. His decision was correct. Particularly in retrospect - you say he should have stayed until he was 23/24, I think a lot of people would argue that he had already peaked by that point.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesnt matter if you are having it or not! A fan of another club will not change my (or others minds).

Its football, its based on passion and rivalry. Its not an issue where you sit down and discuss the metrics of it all! That's one of the problems with football!

He claimed to be a massive blue, he fucked us off the absolute first chance he got. That's all that matters, nobody cares what he went on to do, he didn't do it with us, he never even gave us a chance to do it and for that he can fuck off, loads of us comedy hate him for it, and you know why? Because their are plenty of other players out there so we can move on, but no we have took him back instead.

He is getting a redemption story that he does not deserve at us and that pisses me off.

"Hating" him is a big deal for me. Without having some standards in football you have nothing.

To clarify a couple of your points though....

He maybe could have given you a little bit longer but equally the club could have rejected his transfer request, there was no talk of him forcing the move through IIRC?
    Yes he did. he had a year on hi contract, if we did not resign him that summer he was able to go via tribunal for 20p or whatever.

Doesn't the first part of this sort of matter though...he was one of the biggest names in the country playing for a team fighting relegation, and had an offer from a team fighting for the title.
    You are missing the point. He was a "MASSIVE BLUE". We finished 17th (relegation was never on the cards to be fair) yet he left us to just struggle on.

That's purely hypothetical though - presumably his sale brought in a lot of the players that saw you improve. It's more logical to assume that you were better off without him if you went up 13 places after he left.
    Again you are missing the point. He banged in a transfer request on the final day of the window leaving us with no time/money to get a replacement in. Thats a key point. Before this point it was assumed he would be signing.

The book thing was out of order yeah fair enough. I don't have a problem with the badge kissing and the "Once a blue" thing though, because I don't see him leaving as disloyal. He didn't leave for a rival, he didn't go on strike, he just moved for the good of his career. It's completely reasonable that he could still love Everton while recognising that he needed to leave to make the most of himself - which has been proven right when you look at what he's achieved in his career.
    Again, it doesnt matter what you think (I dont mean that in an arsey way by the way), you are not an Evertonian. Its the timing, its the fact he went the first chance he got and the fact that he acted like a tit afterwards. You cant just claim to "support" someone. Proper supporters are judged by their actions. He is no Evertonian.

You'll struggle to convince me it's anywhere near as bad as the Campbell thing. If Rooney had deliberately wound his contract down and then moved to Liverpool on a free I'm sure you'd think that was a lot motse.
    Of course I wont, because you are a Spurs fan! The rivalry between us and United was bigger back then too. He DID wind his contract down.
    Last edited by MMH; July 9th, 2017 at 1:47 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this whilst having his once a blue always a blue shit. All of a sudden now he is shit he starts flashing his drawers at us saying he is a boss blue and has been all along (he is not, at best he has a soft spot for us) and would only want to play for us.

pretty much any Everton fan I know says the same and I agree.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not saying its right or wrong to feel this way, but to me (a Man Utd fan), its sort of like when Ronaldo left us to go to Madrid. He was still young and had a lot more to offer us, and was our clearly our best player. But he left us with a huge void, and people forget he left in the same summer as Tevez, and we replaced them with Valencia, Obertan and Micheal Owen. Somehow we still managed to make another CL final in a couple of years, which always left me wondering if Ronaldo could've won us that match at Wembley. But besides that, my point is that he left us sort of high and dry, and the way he left with those "slave" comments left a bit of a sour taste. And to top it off, he spent every other summer since then to tease a return, for the sake of getting himself a bigger contract at Madrid. All while telling everyone that "Manchester is still in my heart" and that "the future, nobody knows" when it came to a United return. Personally it bothered me more because he was (and probably still is) my favourite player.

Now I would've loved to see him back, even if it cost us £150m for the 32 year old, and for a long time I was pissed that he wouldn't. But as time went on, I came to accept the problem here was that Ronaldo's aspirations had outgrown that of Manchester United's. It used to bother me that he wouldn't come back, but what bothers me more now is the fact that we can't compete at the high level that Real Madrid compete at. We can't even qualify for the Champion's League at times, let alone win 3 European Cup's in the space of 4 years.
    Ronaldo wants to be the greatest player who ever lived, and he's made a solid claim with the career he's had so far. There's no way he would've achieved that at Man Utd. In some ways I'd feel bad for him if he came back because I'd feel like he'd be taking a step down for the sake of loyalty. And if the feeling of affection was mutual between him and the fans, we shouldn't want him to do that.

I know I can't completely relate with Everton fans and Rooney but from the outside looking in, I don't get how they could've expected to keep Rooney at the club unless they themselves were competing at a high level. Rooney's had an amazing career at United, which wouldn't need to be elaborated on. I find it almost weird for people in hindsight to still feel like he should've stayed at Everton. There's nothing back then or even today that suggested it was a bad idea to move.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronaldo wasn't a boyhood United fan though right? So it's not the same to me at all

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronaldo wasn't a boyhood United fan though right? So it's not the same to me at all
    I'm talking from the fans perspective, not the player's.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but you said you didn't know how anyone could have expected him to stay. They could expect that because he suggested he was as much of a fan as they were.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but you said you didn't know how anyone could have expected him to stay. They could expect that because he suggested he was as much of a fan as they were.
    And how do you work out how much Everton means to Rooney from that? How do you know how much he values his loyalty to the club? Does it mean more to him than further progressing his own career? Is his love for Everton stronger than his love for his country and the national team? Cuz a move to United would've looked like a positive move for his international career too.
    The point is, its a waste of time for me to question his priorities or values. People do it all the time with celebrities/footballers on the internet where once something's said, they hold it against them as if they have no right as a human to change his mind or care less about something his fans care so much about.
    So are people basically annoyed at the fact that Rooney lead them to believe he cared about Everton so much, that he would be willing to stifle his career out of loyalty? And if fans cared about him so much, they'd be OK with him doing that?
    Like I said with Ronaldo earlier. He left and went on to have an amazing career. If I knew I was depriving him of that, it just wouldn't feel right to want to hold onto him.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best years of Rooney's career were behind him at 24 so it was lucky for him that he left Everton when he did. He's been on a significant downward slide since 2010/11.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And how do you work out how much Everton means to Rooney from that? How do you know how much he values his loyalty to the club? Does it mean more to him than further progressing his own career? Is his love for Everton stronger than his love for his country and the national team? Cuz a move to United would've looked like a positive move for his international career too.
    The point is, its a waste of time for me to question his priorities or values. People do it all the time with celebrities/footballers on the internet where once something's said, they hold it against them as if they have no right as a human to change his mind or care less about something his fans care so much about.
    So are people basically annoyed at the fact that Rooney lead them to believe he cared about Everton so much, that he would be willing to stifle his career out of loyalty? And if fans cared about him so much, they'd be OK with him doing that?
    Like I said with Ronaldo earlier. He left and went on to have an amazing career. If I knew I was depriving him of that, it just wouldn't feel right to want to hold onto him.
    He was already Englands best player when he moved....

The loyalty thing is the sticking point. Do whatever he wants, thats fine, just dont give us this bullshit about being a massive fan coz he is obviously not.

Your comparisons with Ronaldo are wrong as he never claimed to be a massive United fan.

Timing is everything in the Rooney case yet people seem to want to ignore it.

I will say it again, he was 18! Its got fuck all to do with stifling his career.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    The best years of Rooney's career were behind him at 24 so it was lucky for him that he left Everton when he did. He's been on a significant downward slide since 2010/11.
    Not so lucky that we have brought him back at 31 under this mental Evertonian guise.

"Oh he will work harder now he is back at the club he loves"

Brilliant!

If he gets made captain I am jibbing it off.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your comparisons with Ronaldo are wrong as he never claimed to be a massive United fan.

Timing is everything in the Rooney case yet people seem to want to ignore it.

I will say it again, he was 18! Its got fuck all to do with stifling his career.
    Its not about whether Ronaldo is a United fan or not. The point is, he wanted to move to a bigger club. As a fan of the smaller club, I can't complain in that respect. Its the same if De Gea moved to Madrid. If he wants to play at a higher level, what can Man Utd do about it? Nothing other than raise their own level and make him feel like he doesn't need to move.

And how has it got fuck all to do with stifling his career? A big team came in for him, and it was bigger than the team he was at. The only argument against making the move that I can see is that maybe he might have been too young and not ready to take such a big step. But he justified it by being a first team regular for the next 13+ years and scored a hatrick on his debut on the biggest stage in club football. From purely a footballing standpoint, he made the right move. Anyone who's not happy about it, are disregarding his point of view.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not about whether Ronaldo is a United fan or not. The point is, he wanted to move to a bigger club. As a fan of the smaller club, I can't complain in that respect. Its the same if De Gea moved to Madrid. If he wants to play at a higher level, what can Man Utd do about it? Nothing other than raise their own level and make him feel like he doesn't need to move.

And how has it got fuck all to do with stifling his career? A big team came in for him, and it was bigger than the team he was at. The only argument against making the move that I can see is that maybe he might have been too young and not ready to take such a big step. But he justified it by being a first team regular for the next 13+ years and scored a hatrick on his debut on the biggest stage in club football. From purely a footballing standpoint, he made the right move. Anyone who's not happy about it, are disregarding his point of view.

You just dont get it. Thats fine. I dont expect anyone too. The fact that you are still comparing it to Ronaldo and are viewing it from his viewpoint says that.

Im not saying you are wrong either! But you just dont get it. His viewpoint has got nothing to in why we dont like him. Thats kind of the point.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Obviously they didn't show the ones where they called him a cunt, But there were a fair few Evertonians who seemed enthused by the signing yesterday on SSN.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that you're mad that he's basically come back after becoming shit and whatever. If Ronaldo had become shit and useless, I wouldn't want him back either, and I'd be pissed if he came out and said some crap about loving Manchester and wanting to end his career at Old Trafford. I was focusing on the part where you had a problem with Rooney leaving 13 years ago.

You sound like you're implying that he should've stayed, but he shouldn't have.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it's not. He's saying there was plenty he could have done if he loved Everton as much as he claims and claimed he did.

He was asked why he was annoyed. The whole narative of this has been Rooney coming back to the club he loved so much that it pretty much hurt to be away from. Despite him bolting as soon as he could and also being a dick numerous times when he went back there. That's the point. He thinks Rooney is being a fake shite with his proclaimed love of the club and he's a mercenary so he has no warm feelings for him and the return of the prodigal son looks like a facade to him.

Your relationship with Real Madrid is massively different as well as it's a different league. You compete against them in Europe yes but that's not the same as joining another team in the league.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Obviously they didn't show the ones where they called him a cunt, But there were a fair few Evertonians who seemed enthused by the signing yesterday on SSN.
    Of course there are. There's also plenty of people who will say what the think SSN want to hear to be on tv as well

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get that you're mad that he's basically come back after becoming shit and whatever. If Ronaldo had become shit and useless, I wouldn't want him back either, and I'd be pissed if he came out and said some crap about loving Manchester and wanting to end his career at Old Trafford. I was focusing on the part where you had a problem with Rooney leaving 13 years ago.

You sound like you're implying that he should've stayed, but he shouldn't have.
    No im not!

This is the bit you are not grasping. It has nothing to do with Rooney's career or what he thinks, its irrelevent as it wont change our base instinct as a fan of a club to be pissed off that he left the club he "loved" before he even properly played for us.

It does not matter how much you try to justify it, how much common sense or logic you put forward, it wont change a damned thing! Football is an emotive sport. We wanted him to stay at least for a bit because we are Everton fans, like he is supposed to be.

To use the old tired cliche its like your missus saying she loves you an then fucking off with a richer man first chance she gets. She may be happy and gets more out of life but you still resent her for fucking off when you had big plans with her. I don't get why its so had to understand. You keep coming back with stuff that we all know already and nobody is denying. Why? It wont change our perception of him!