Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 193199200201202203
Results 20,201 to 20,217 of 20217

Thread: The NXT Thread

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was obvious last week that Gargano was going to use this opportunity to orchestrate the match in his favor for an opening defense. He's really done a tremendous job hamming things up as he's a heel but man oh man, what a bold-ass move by having Ruff beat Gargano. Good for Ruff as he's been utilized on WWE programming since the pandemic started. Ruff has obviously been a jobber but he has a pretty fun move set, bumps his ass off, and can be a compelling performer in the ring. The belt falling off him after Priest put it on him was a brilliantly hilarious moment. Priest being direct but nice to Ruff backstage was funny and the "go watch Wheel of Fortune" line to Gargano was fitting. Ruff is now the modern 1-2-3 Kid. Good for him, and it won't do anything but help Gargano build more heat.

All things considered, tough spot for Atlas and Escobar to be in but they had a fun match. Atlas looked a little dodgy in some parts but he's still young so I'm fine with it. There's also something to be said with Atlas. He's pretty much been booked like a white meat babyface since showing up on NXT but I like that he's booked to have some edge. Just outright jumping Llegado de Fantasma in the parking lot is a nice touch. Plenty of upside for him. I like how NXT has kept in the lab with calibrating the ideal latino superstar. They keep going through different versions but I think they've got the right overall act in Escobar. He's basically got the ADR gimmick but doesn't appear to be a scumbag. Hopefully he's not one. They ran through this Atlas feud pretty quickly.

Boa took a hell of a boot and a hell of a beating from Raquel. Beyond impressive that she did her one-armed power bomb on a dude the size of Boa. That's a ton of theatrics for the implications of messing with whoever is writing these letters to Xi and now Boa. It's going to deliver something substantial. I just hope it hits the mark.

Think of the heat if Candice ran over that tank on Veteran's Day. Anyway...good on them to give Shotzi time to explain why the tank meant so much to her. Probably could have used that several weeks ago, prior to the incident, but it's good that the explained. Shotzi seems like someone who is going to be a major player in the women's division in terms of a title contender a year or so from now.

JFC, one of Toni's legs might be bigger than Candice. The size disparity between the two of them was jarring at times. This was a really good spotlight for Toni to put on her working boots against someone more than capable to go with her in the form of Candice. I'm pretty surprised they had Toni lose here, with the obvious angle of Shotzi causing a distraction there, but at least it was a blatant cheap win. Indi being the reveal of Ghostface shocks no one but it naturally sets up a tag match (playa).

Not a surprise that Thatcher went after Greene but a nice way to transition it towards Lumis by messing with the portrait. Anything with Lumis creates a wildly contrasting dynamic but this was a really massive one with Thatcher. Feels like less is more with Lumis' matches. It feels like the last 3-5 matches for him have been stretched out quite a bit. That almost comes across as counterproductive for him in some ways. The burlap sack may mean we get a blindfold match between Grimes and Lumis.

Ciampa is a character of convenience, as I've said, but it may be a situation where he's spinning his wheels since there was no direct message for what's next for him. Still imagine it's buying time for Bálor in some form or fashion.

The prime target didn't have the production value I was anticipating but it was still fantastic. I like how they spun Rhea's story. It generally came off in the moment that they were just trying to find stuff for her to do but they spun it as people were trying to pick her off after she had her disappointment at Mania. She rose above those challengers and is ready to take back her title. That's well and good, but Io isn't going to let that happen. Kind of surprised we don't have a "two weeks from now" announcement and the match is next week.

McAfee citing "The team I was on lost to Drew Brees and his dumb baby" and calling Joseph "Michael Cole Jr." were moments of gold. Rocking a gold chain and a gaiter was a choice lol. The match didn't get a lot of time and was clearly a secondary component as it was about getting McAfee over and then getting the numbers game aspect for The Kings over. The ending was very chaotic. UE's absence is a little jarring, and the idea almost seems like they're using Breezango and Dain/Maverick as the foursome to take on The Kings. I'm guessing that's a convenient zag, but they're doing a great job of building heat on The Kings.

Bálor returning and a massive women's title match next week. Looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn good show this week.

Gargano is such a goddamn delight. The general gist of the mystery opponent was what I figured, Johnny setting it up in his favor, but OHMYGOD I did not think Ruff was going to score the HUGE upset win and the title. Incredible. This is the kind of shock that's been missing for awhile and it was brilliantly executed and benefited everyone involved. Show started off super hot. Loved the belt falling off Ruff's waist when he celebrated.

Atlas/Escobar was solid. I assume since Atlas lost clean this time that Escobar will be moving on to a new challenger. Atlas still has loads of potential and has been progressing nicely.

Very interesting turn of events with Xia no-showing, Boa getting his ass beat, and mystery old man with surprisingly high production value for his appearance and the scary hand mark thingie...intriguing. I know Xia has supposedly gone to Triple H herself to ask for a chance so I am optimistic that she's going to come out of this with some shine but it's definitely taking some curious turns.

Toni/Candice was good stuff. Agreed with BG that the size difference was quite noticeable. Good set up for a future tag bout. Wondering if there'll be a second Ghostface yet that was helping Johnny or if it was always just Indi?

Soon as they had Dexter drawing backstage I thought someone (I assumed Grimes) was going to wreck it and set something up. Nice set up with it tying into Thatcher/Grey's stuff. I thought Thatcher/Lumis was very good and the arm injury angle had me worked for a bit and I was cursing that the dude got hurt again. Well done. Figured we'd see Grimes at least, if not maybe Grey, too, and am real ok with Dex losing because of it and very much enjoyed the post-match stuff with the sack and the Cave-in on the chair. Grimes and Lumis are two of my favorites and I'm thrilled their feud rolls on.

Geeked for Rhea/Io next week and very curious about Balor's return. I would suspect Ciampa steps up but I've also heard rumblings that Kross could be back any time now...

I'm getting into this Kings of NXT faction. Decent enough tag match but it was more about the post match chaos which was wild and effective. I assume Breezango/Maverick/Dain will be the filler until UE return and set up the real 4-on-4 for the next TakeOver or whatever. Personally, I'd prefer it if UE didn't come back at all, el oh el.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll amend my 4-4 point. Seems like Breezango, Maverick/Dain will be a foursome to combat The Kings and ultimately put them over, giving a false sense of security to them, then UE will return and set up a bigger four-on-four match.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I'll amend my 4-4 point. Seems like Breezango, Maverick/Dain will be a foursome to combat The Kings and ultimately put them over, giving a false sense of security to them, then UE will return and set up a bigger four-on-four match.
    War Games should be coming up right? Seems like the perfect time for it.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    War Games should be coming up right? Seems like the perfect time for it.
    The next Takeover is scheduled for December 6. I would think space at the CWC could make a War Games setup somewhat of an issue. Could be wrong.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next Takeover is scheduled for December 6. I would think space at the CWC could make a War Games setup somewhat of an issue. Could be wrong.
    True. Seems like the perfect time and feud for a War Games match too.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ANNOUNCED:
    Finn Balor returns.

NXT Women's Championship
    Io Shirai vs. Rhea Ripley

NXT North American Championship
    Leon Ruff vs. Johnny Gargano

Blindfold Match
    Cameron Grimes vs. Dexter Lumis

Dakota Kai & Raquel Gonzalez vs. Ember Moon & Toni Storm

---

I expect Ciampa to step up to Balor. Women's title match will obviously be hot fire and I'm super amped to see it. Thinking Rhea wins here unless there are some shenanigans. I'm thinking Ruff's reign's probably ending tonight. Blindfold Match stip never really results in anything particularly good but given the talent involved, it'll probably at least be a fun time. Women's tag should be solid enough.

I've had a fairly stressful week or two so I'm pretty eager to sit down and enjoy some NXT.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that Ruff was able to get more of that match than he did last week. Fluke or not, he got the win and I just like the fact that he was acting the part and being more competitive. That seems to be promising when looking at his outlook beyond the miracle win. It was a sly move by Priest to cause the DQ. I was curious to see how it eventually came around with Priest and Ruff crossing paths. I was interested to see how a tweener role would come across for Priest and I like how it was executed. Not intentional but Ruff, standing up for himself, said enough was enough. Priest didn't get mad and knew he had it coming. Setting up for an interesting triple threat.

Grimes is perfect as a comedic heel. He's really nailed that as it has been dialed up with Lumis. I was curious with how far they were going to take it with the blindfold stip but I thought they got a good way to get that but it's bit annoying they didn't have a finish. Good leap over the cage, though.

Nice video to have Shotzi supposedly rebuilding her tank and setting the stage for War Games. If Indi has been so enthralled with getting in Candice's good graces, I would have liked a visual payoff with that with their work. I'm sure that's something that can evolve over time but the first look at it left me wanting more.

Good to see while drafted to Raw, Ruas was able to get an excursion in to NXT. Did NOT expect that effort and fanfare to promote him prior to the break only to face a buzzsaw in Kushida. Those two were clearly going to have a gritty, physical match and that worked out to display strengths for both of them. Very cool pinning combination to get the finish. I thought that went well in terms of protecting both guys, though Ruas really isn't a guy who needs protecting.

The tag match was definitely entertaining. All four women had their moments to shine. I would have liked to see Toni and Raquel tussle some more in the tag match. That's probably got potential as a future singles match. Like Ember and Toni getting the win but don't necessarily like Dakota and Raquel getting the heat back so quickly. I'm probably missing someone obvious on the face side but you've got your women's War Games match right there by the end of that segment.
    P.S. Give Dakota and Raquel the tag titles. Thanks...

Grey's got himself a tan, haha. This was like a poor man's version of Kushida/Ruas in the sense it tried to give some to the guy who clearly wasn't going to win. The bigger deal was obviously what happened afterward. Convenience has come for Ciampa, and I would like the idea of Thatcher's gritty style going up against Ciampa. This honestly feels like it does more for Thatcher as he's been grasping at scraps to stay relevant since The Lion's Den match with Riddle. Hopefully this does them both some good.

I wonder who Priest was going to face. My guess was it was nobody and this was just a convenient out to further build up Takeover for Priest, Gargano, and Ruff.

It was quick but they had some advancement for the Xia and Boa story with Regal making a house call lol. "She's coming." NXT is freakin' loaded with depth there and now someone else is coming in or getting restored? Sheesh.

Really solid match between Io and Rhea. Shame it had two commercial within it, killing some of the flow. That match just got more brutal as it went along. Can't imagine Rhea's ear was feeling all that great as it went along. Both women did a really solid job selling throughout the match. Thank goodness the table broke for that spot because it wouldn't have looked as great if it didn't. Great finish to have Rhea save herself by beating the count but Io being ready to pounce. Great stuff. The talent predicted Io would win, the creative predicted Rhea would win. What a swerve! Rhea leaving NXT, perhaps?

Thought it's only been a few weeks, it was good build-up of The Kings to where it made sense to have them interrupt Bálor. They were running through people and they didn't want to be overshadowed by the champ's return and hubris made them feel like they were ready to take over everything. It's an interesting wrinkle to presume Bálor sprang a trap for them and coordinated things with Undisputed Era. The pop for UE returning would have been incredible. McAfee just gets it, man. Awesome on the stick, understanding the moment, and selling like a champ. He ate the hell out of that pump kick by Cole and just sold it like a million bucks. Of course McAfee got kicked lol.

Bálor is back, it's looking like Kross may be back soon. They might have the opportunity to sneak a quick title match (perhaps Kushida) in for Takeover if Bálor is actually cleared before getting to that big boy match. War Games is coming together very nicely.

Fun announcement for the guest commentator next week. KO in the booth should be fun. Not for nothing, McKenzie is really good at her backstage reporter role. She comes off way more authentic and genuine than what we see on Raw and Smackdown. She feels like a legit sideline reporter for a sporting event. Love that.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love what they're doing with Ruff. I assumed Johnny was getting it back and that Leon was just a cog in the machine of Gargano/Priest but I really am glad to see that this is just as much about Leon as it is about them and it was dope seeing him stepping up and wanting to prove himself. Triple threat should be good and now I'm thinking Ruff's reign might actually be substantial.

Bllindfold Match was all about the antics and they absolutely delivered as I expected. Grimes and Gargano are both crushing the game as hilarious heels and I love it. Like that the stip didn't last long as there's not much you can do with it in an actual match so it was just antics to build what will likely/hopefully be a straight-up one-on-one between them at TakeOver which I am living for.

Nice to see Ruas back in NXT and was surprised the match with Kushida was as competative as it was. Damn good bout. Loved the finish, very unique. Hoping that Ruas is actually going to be a regular feature going forward. Hoping Kushida's momentum is still leading to something meaningful soon (title shot at Balor?).

Candice/Indi vs. The KC's was fun. Kacey does some fun moves and Katden ain't bad, either. Did well to establish the new heel alliance. The second women's tag match was terrific. Good post match attack to get the WarGames build going. I'm thinking Rhea and Io might round out the face side.

August Grey looks like a total doofus jobber. Hard to care if Thatcher's beating on him when that's the case. Ciampa/Thatcher, though? Yes, please.

"She is coming" is pretty interesting and like BG, curious if it's someone new or someone returning or hell, after the old man showed up, is it even a wrestler?

Rhea/Io absolutely KILLED IT but fuck those two ad breaks getting stuck in there. I knew as soon as Balor returning was going to be the show closer that Rhea wasn't going to win. Still, they fucking WENT AT IT. The shoulder work was hard to watch and the bloody war really helped elevate the intensity. I actually thought it was going to end with a double countout after the table powerbomb and then have a rematch at TakeOver. Rhea still looked strong in defeat. Like I said, I suspect they'll round out the face team for the women's WarGames as I can't really see anyone stepping up to Io that's not already tied up in something.

Didn't really like Balor stepping on the tail of the match but at least he congratulated the champ. Obviously The Kings were showing and I thought maybe Pat or Pete were going to challenge Balor for TakeOver 'cuz I'm stupid and I'm surprised I didn't see the obvious UE return coming here. Duh, WarGames you idiot. Still, nothing was addressed with Balor and the NXT title here which was a little disappointing considering.

Also, speaking of stupid idiots...
    Kushida defeated Hoohas. Note: They never showed the new competitor's name on screen, and closed captioning showed it as "Who Has." So I'm aware I'm butchering the spelling of it. I've googled and checked the NXT Roster and haven't found him listed. If you know this person's name, please comment below and I'll correct it and credit you.
    ...can someone tell the guy that reports NXT on the main page that it's Aurturo Ruas not "Hoohass". The dude has been with WWE since 2015, has been on NXT before, was on RAW in August, is on the WWE.com roster page, and had a fucking promo video before the match. Jesus...
    Last edited by mth; November 19th, 2020 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Majority of us are cynical posters who can have a good guess where things may be going. However was the last time we were genuinely shocked at something? Ruff winning taking everyone completely by surprise and following through and running with it so it’s not just one of those Zach Ryder-like moment title reigns and having him just dropping it.

Miss that genuine shock surprise moment and also extending that thought to AEW. NXT are providing it right here with Ruff. As much schneide that Hunter may get still from some folk, he knows his shit when it comes to running things.

The least surprising thing about NXT is the parking lot but that’s a running gag we all know and love lol.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, i guess Shotzi is leading the face team against Candice. I missed that video clip prior to Candice's match. So I suppose Rhea/Io won't be rounding out the face team...although, I could see Reha doing it if Io is defending the title against...someone?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

The least surprising thing about NXT is the parking lot but that’s a running gag we all know and love lol.
    You have a tipping point, though. Rhea, Io, and Bálor all walked through that lot and made it through unscathed.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a tipping point, though. Rhea, Io, and Bálor all walked through that lot and made it through unscathed.
    Probably add Damien Priest having a jacuzzi in the lot as well. Probably just got lucky with their timing though shouldn’t rest on their laurels. Next time Gadget (s), next time!!!

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth
    Also, speaking of stupid idiots...

...can someone tell the guy that reports NXT on the main page that it's Aurturo Ruas not "Hoohass". The dude has been with WWE since 2015, has been on NXT before, was on RAW in August, is on the WWE.com roster page, and had a fucking promo video before the match. Jesus...
    I saw a headline that they’re looking for new writers. If you and BG applied, would totally bring some credibility!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Bloody good this week. Ripley and Io was brilliant. And loving the Ruff/Gargano/Priest stuff.

Bloody love the new group, lads.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving the idea of Balor v. Dunne. I could not care any less about Undisputed Era but damn Pat took a bicycle kick to the grill like a champ.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balor vs Dunne would rock the fuckin socks off or even Balor vs McAfee with loads of outside interference. McAffee as champ through outside interference wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world to get outside eyes on the product plus possible rematch defence against Cole.

Also love Io to bits in every way ever except her moonsault. I know it was a bit different in the finish here but still she buggers that up the majority of the time. Maybe give her a good submission.