User Tag List

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
Results 4,701 to 4,796 of 4796

Thread: The Star Wars thread

  1. #4701
    Judge Virms - 9th Realm virms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Posts
    44,786
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1432391
    germany
    I will have to look it up but is this going to be Canon or standalone? Almost seems it has to be standalone unless it's some sort of outer rim but even then the empire is present.

  2. #4702
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    I figured standalone. Just short films with Star Wars filtered through an anime lens. There has been debate about this online, since Lucasfilm previously said everything in the Disney era going forward is canon. But then this has been called a unique and culturally diverse vision of the franchise. I’m guessing they won’t do anything mad with a character like Boba Fett, but I don’t see this being anywhere near as interconnected as the Clone Wars-Rebels-Bad Batch run which weaves around the films and The Mandalorian.

  3. #4703
    Judge Virms - 9th Realm virms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Posts
    44,786
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1432391
    germany
    So it appears to be Canon but doesn't have to adhere to the timeliness.

  4. #4704
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    First episode of Boba Fett dropped today. I thought it was okay. Didn’t grip me in the same way as the first episode of the Mandalorian, which also had a very pared down style but used action really well to establish the character. This was slower. I think I expected to see more of the present day and not so many flashbacks. I’m keeping an open mind, but I feel like Tatooine has been done to death now. But I think Fett and Shand could have good chemistry going forward.

  5. #4705
    Judge Virms - 9th Realm virms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Posts
    44,786
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1432391
    germany
    You are going to have to answer the big questions first when it comes to Boba's own series. There are way to many for the majority of fans for them to sit back and just buy into Boba being all present day.

    I thought the episode was good. It's a slow burn but you also have to remember that there is absolutely no back story to Boba really so we are going to get that while it establishes a better part of his entire lore

    If we are going to have some flashbacks I wouldn't mind , at the very least, some insight to a bit of his lost years. Something has made Boba go from one of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy to a man who respects life in general. I guess you could say.

    We will probably get a few good action scenes in the first few episodes but I don't expect the story to really start picking up until mid-season. There's a lot, and I mean a lot, to cover on what Boba has been doing and what has changed him. I'm guessing the sandperson youngling will be a big part of that.

    There has also been some stories in star wars about the sand people being misunderstood and I think this is going to play out to show they aren't the savages we think they are. After all, there was a member on the Jedi Council that was from the sand people tribe.
    Last edited by virms; December 30th, 2021 at 8:25 AM.

  6. #4706
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    I thought it was a good first episode. Interested to see where things go.


  7. #4707
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I'm kind of struggling to find anything I really liked in episode 1, the flyover shot of Mos Espa and the streets were nice I guess. I can't get over how much I dislike the main/ending credits theme. As a fellow swede I can appreciate Ludvig getting inspiration from old swedish/norse style music but I doesn't fit SW or Boba Fett at all. I do love his Mandalorian main theme though and the Boba Fett theme from the Mandalorian is boss.

    Maybe the show will pick up later.

  8. #4708
    Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Posts
    27,053
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    990310
    canada
    I won't judge too hard off episode 1 but I found it to be quite below average so far. But it has the goodwill of Mandalorian to get 3 episodes from me.

  9. #4709
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Speaking of the main theme being inspired by old Swedish folk songs.. I knew I recognized it from somewhere, and yeah..



    Hilarious that Ludwig pretty much snuck in a song from Ronja RŲvardotter (1984) into Star Wars in 2021. Watch from about the 4:18 mark.
    Last edited by OD50; December 31st, 2021 at 8:13 AM.

  10. #4710
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Man, didn't really enjoy episode 2 either. It started to get slightly interesting with the hutt twins and Black Krrasantan, and then it was back to A Man Called Horse for 45 minutes. Maybe the show will get better when/if the flashbacks are done.

  11. #4711
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    I thought Episode 2 was a big step up in quality.


  12. #4712
    Judge Virms - 9th Realm virms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Posts
    44,786
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1432391
    germany
    Episode 2 was fucking awesome. More humanizing the tuscans, fucking Krrasantan, Boba learning more of being with a family, the list goes on.

    Big step up in terms of storytelling for me. I liked the first one but this ramped things up. I also loved the mayor's translator. I need to watch it again for more detail but I loved this episode.

  13. #4713
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I think we got enough humanizing of the tuskens in S2E1 of the Mandalorian, not a fan of seeing it again here for an hour or so over the first two episodes. I get the feeling the creators wants to make their own little version of Dances with Wolves or A Man Called Horse.

    I would have done the flashback in episode 1 like this:

    -Boba escapes the Sarlacc.
    -Gets robbed by Jawas who in turn gets chased off by tuskens.
    -Tuskens takes Boba as a slave just like they did to Shmi Skywalker.
    -Boba challenges the tusken raider tribe champion (ninja lady) to a 1-vs-1 duel to the death with Bobas freedom on the line should he win. Make it some sort of honor/blood challenge that can't be refused.
    -Boba wins but spares the life of ninja lady to the amazement of the tusken tribe. He get his freedom back and is gifted the weapon of his opponent, signifying he is now the tribe champion and an honorary tribe member.
    -Boba leave the tuskens under mutual respect to look for the jawas and his armour.

    /Flashbacks and on to the current plot.

    This could have been done in 15 or so minutes.

    Oh well..

  14. #4714
    Judge Virms - 9th Realm virms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Void - The One Where Badger Disappears
    Posts
    44,786
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1432391
    germany
    Sounds terrible. No offense.

  15. #4715
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    Episode 2 was much much better. Boba’s character was properly fleshed out, some nice humour with him training the Tuscans on how to use speeders and the action was better shot and choreographed than the brief street fight in episode 1.

  16. #4716
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Episode 3 thoughts:


  17. #4717
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    Sounds terrible. No offense.
    No problem.

    Last edited by OD50; January 13th, 2022 at 3:55 PM.

  18. #4718
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    I don’t understand where they’re going with this show. This is not the Boba Fett we saw in The Mandalorian. Not in the present day of the show at least, where he’s being overwhelmed and bailed out by others in every fight. It’s been quite repetitive with him demanding respect when he’s done nothing to earn it and has no way of intimidating his subjects with such a small band of followers. That might change with a Rancor and I assume a Wookie later in the season.

    Why is Fennec Shand hanging around with him? We’ve had no dialogue scenes to establish their relationship - she continually urges him to be more ruthless and he ignores her. There was the chance to give her an action scene with Krrsantan and yet it was the kids who did all the fighting. The Power Ranger colours of those bikes were so out of place and it must have been one of the slowest and least thrilling chases of all time.

  19. #4719
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Episode 4 Thoughts:


  20. #4720
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    I haven't watched Boba Fett yet. Is it as good as Mandalorian so far?

    I saw a report that they are targeting May the 4th for Obi Wan's premiere. Makes sense. That date happens to fall on a Wednesday this year so it lines up perfectly with Disney+'s Wednesday release schedule.

  21. #4721
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    That would be good. Of all the shows, Obi-Wan is the one I'm the most excited for.

    Boba Fett is good, but is a different pace than Mandalorian. I didn't have the same love as other fans, but where they are taking him is fun. Might be more satisfying to wait a few more weeks until the whole season is out.

  22. #4722
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Episode 4 of tBoBF was pretty good, best by 12 parsecs so far, and I really liked
    Last edited by OD50; January 26th, 2022 at 10:34 AM.

  23. #4723
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Episode 4 of tBoBF was pretty good, best by 12 parsecs so far, and I really liked

  24. #4724
    Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Posts
    27,053
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    990310
    canada

  25. #4725
    Pissed Off
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    in a library
    Posts
    39,322
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    661621
    usa
    I agree. Good episode but out of place.

  26. #4726
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Episode 6 was pretty damn cool.

    Last edited by OD50; February 2nd, 2022 at 8:00 AM.

  27. #4727
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Pretty amazing episode:

    Last edited by TimeSplitter; February 2nd, 2022 at 11:58 AM.

  28. #4728
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    Great episode with many mark-out moments, but the choices made in the past two episodes are so odd.


  29. #4729
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Great episode with many mark-out moments, but the choices made in the past two episodes are so odd.

    Excellent post. About your second to last point:


  30. #4730
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Excellent post. About your second to last point:

    Fantastic points.


  31. #4731
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nutmeg State
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1070693
    My thoughts as I just got up to date -


  32. #4732
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    I'm no expert on the particular era but wasn't


    /Oh, and some rumors say that
    Last edited by OD50; February 3rd, 2022 at 5:37 AM.

  33. #4733
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    I'm no expert on the particular era but wasn't


    /Oh, and some rumors say that
    First Spoiler:


    Second Spoiler:

  34. #4734
    Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Posts
    27,053
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    990310
    canada
    I agree with the second spoiler.

  35. #4735
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Second Spoiler:
    Yeah,

  36. #4736
    Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Canada, Eh?
    Posts
    27,053
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    990310
    canada
    Continuing


  37. #4737
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden

  38. #4738
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    A very good finale:


  39. #4739
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    So, I felt the finale was pretty damn awful, I could almost hear Benny Hill music playing in the background. Doesn't even feel like going into too much specifics but not surprising since the only episodes of "Boba Fett" I enjoyed were episode 1 and 2 of The Mandalorian season 3. I hope we never, ever see the vespa kids anywhere in Star Wars again, I'd rather watch a three hour special of three stooges slapstick starring Jar-Jar Binks.

    Oh..

  40. #4740
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nutmeg State
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1070693
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    So, I felt the finale was pretty damn awful, I could almost hear Benny Hill music playing in the background. Doesn't even feel like going into too much specifics but not surprising since the only episodes of "Boba Fett" I enjoyed were episode 1 and 2 of The Mandalorian season 3. I hope we never, ever see the vespa kids anywhere in Star Wars again, I'd rather watch a three hour special of three stooges slapstick starring Jar-Jar Binks.

    Oh..


  41. #4741
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    Well,


    And I've seen some rumors that the filming of BoBF was a complete disaster due to covid and all the restrictions they had to deal with during filming and that there originally were 8 episodes planned for the show. Instead they could only scrape five together and threw in episode 1 and 2 of Mando season 3, doing some editing and work-arounds to stretch it out to 7 episodes. Not sure if it's true but it would explain the disjointed feel of the show and the out of left field Mandalorian episodes.
    Last edited by OD50; February 11th, 2022 at 3:39 PM.

  42. #4742
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden

    Speaking of the X-1 Viper droids.. Here is where I think they got the idea that only the brute, physical force of the Rancor could work against the Roidekas, the exact same thing happened in Dark Empire where the Viper's energy shields deflect every weapon thrown at them, so the emperor unleashes his dark side beasts that use their brute power to tear the X-1's to bits. Sure seems familiar.
    Last edited by OD50; February 12th, 2022 at 7:47 AM.

  43. #4743
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa


    This looks awesome! Excited to see more, especially more Inquisitors!

  44. #4744
    The 'me' in 'team' Dreyski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Darius Fontayne can kiss my ass
    Posts
    5,567
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1022940
    ukraine
    Goosebumps.

  45. #4745
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    looks fine. tbh, the way everyone was freaking out about the trailer, I expected more. it was a trailer with obi wan. I guess people would have freaked out about it no matter what.

  46. #4746
    Cirque du Soleil Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    11,001
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    237522
    They desperately need a change in location for future series. Tattooine has been done to death now.

    I’m liking the Rebels vibe with the Inquisitors. But the real curiosity is what they do with Vader.

  47. #4747
    Multiversal Champion OD50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Stockholm, SWE
    Posts
    17,895
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    73124
    sweden
    It starts on Tattooine but moves to Daiyu (the Coruscant underworld'esque looking place in the trailer) by the second, third episode or so.
    Last edited by OD50; March 10th, 2022 at 5:19 PM.

  48. #4748
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800


    New trailer. Looks solid.

  49. #4749
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    That’s a great trailer. Ooof, actually stoked for this.

  50. #4750
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Upside to my job, nobody says shit when you put on Star Wars for May 4th.

  51. #4751
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,783
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    440557
    No spoilers, but a pretty solid first two episodes of Kenobi I thought.

  52. #4752
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    This is everything I have wanted from live action Star Wars.

  53. #4753
    Pissed Off
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    in a library
    Posts
    39,322
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    661621
    usa
    Really enjoyed the first two episodes. Great stuff.

  54. #4754
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    Even though I'm not much of a Star Wars guy, I had goosebumps watching the first episode of Kenobi. It got me thinking though. Back when the prequels came out they were widely criticized and disregarded as pure caca. They were caca. They sucked. Anakin was a beta and the movies were uninteresting, CGI messes. But why do I feel so much comfort and nostalgia seeing Ewan & Hayden returning to Star Wars? I think it's because the new movies were so bad that when you compare them to the prequels, they just don't feel like Star Wars at all. But that could be said about the prequels 20 years ago. Disney wanted folks to look forward to the future, but missed the mark so much that they kinda Forced folks to look back. My question is... will we look back at Episodes 7-9 with the same nostalgia as how we look at the prequels now? I can't tell the future, but I doubt it.

  55. #4755
    World Champion Bandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    14,147
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    172752
    mozambique
    Is it crazy to say that the recent offerings of mandalorian/Book of Boba fett/Obi Wan are the best Star Wars content since the original trilogy? I loved the first two episodes and it seems like they barely scratched the surface.

  56. #4756
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    Rewatched episodes 1 and two. The 3rd sister actress is just not very good. Just not convincing or menacing in any way.

  57. #4757
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Is it crazy to say that the recent offerings of mandalorian/Book of Boba fett/Obi Wan are the best Star Wars content since the original trilogy? I loved the first two episodes and it seems like they barely scratched the surface.
    It’s not crazy but through 2 episodes I’m not putting Obi Wan on the level of Mandalorian. It’s been solid so far but not amazing.

  58. #4758
    World Champion Bandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    14,147
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    172752
    mozambique
    That's fair

  59. #4759
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Rewatched episodes 1 and two. The 3rd sister actress is just not very good. Just not convincing or menacing in any way.
    Yea I agree, she is a pretty bland villain so far. Grand Inquisitor is cool, though.

    Leia is good, I like the young actress and her demeanor. It's cool to see a little Leia. However the way she acted in episode 2 was very annoying and stupid given the circumstances, culminating in her basically killing herself (lol you know what I mean). The entire chase sequence was pretty cringe worthy IMO. I kept thinking why the hell - in a planet where everyone looks like freaks and aliens - doesn't Obi Wan just buy a mask or put on something to cover his face?

  60. #4760
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Yea I agree, she is a pretty bland villain so far. Grand Inquisitor is cool, though.

    Leia is good, I like the young actress and her demeanor. It's cool to see a little Leia. However the way she acted in episode 2 was very annoying and stupid given the circumstances, culminating in her basically killing herself (lol you know what I mean). The entire chase sequence was pretty cringe worthy IMO. I kept thinking why the hell - in a planet where everyone looks like freaks and aliens - doesn't Obi Wan just buy a mask or put on something to cover his face?
    Good point, yeah there have been quite a few memes going around about Ben not doing a good job of staying under the radar. Dude's walking around in a brown hoody and that's it. Eh... not a big deal since I've been enjoying things so far.

  61. #4761
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,783
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    440557
    Man that was good.

  62. #4762
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Very very good episode.

    Last edited by TimeSplitter; June 1st, 2022 at 11:29 AM.

  63. #4763
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Is it crazy to say that the recent offerings of mandalorian/Book of Boba fett/Obi Wan are the best Star Wars content since the original trilogy? I loved the first two episodes and it seems like they barely scratched the surface.
    I think all 3 are a little too fresh to be considered the best Star Wars content since the OG movies. It's not crazy to think they are because they're really fuckin good. Obi Wan, jury is still out we're only 2 in and I can't say it's better than every movie but Ep 4-6. I was actually a pretty big fan of the 7-9 movies as well. Movies v. tv series arguments are tough because you can stretch out things in a tv series that movies don't allow.

    Mando is pretty incredible though I would definitely put that up there with the original trilogy.

  64. #4764
    Midcarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    24672
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I think all 3 are a little too fresh to be considered the best Star Wars content since the OG movies. It's not crazy to think they are because they're really fuckin good. Obi Wan, jury is still out we're only 2 in and I can't say it's better than every movie but Ep 4-6. I was actually a pretty big fan of the 7-9 movies as well. Movies v. tv series arguments are tough because you can stretch out things in a tv series that movies don't allow.

    Mando is pretty incredible though I would definitely put that up there with the original trilogy.
    Three in with today’s episode.

  65. #4765
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    I thought episode 3 was not great. Here is a meme I made to sum up my feelings


  66. #4766
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Stormstrooper: "It's a long ride.."
    *Gets off the ride one minute later

  67. #4767
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Stormstrooper: "It's a long ride.."
    *Gets off the ride one minute later
    I noticed that too lol. The script definitely has holes.

    Like in episode 2 when Ben asks Leia how old she is. Wouldn’t he already know that?

  68. #4768
    The 'me' in 'team' Dreyski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Darius Fontayne can kiss my ass
    Posts
    5,567
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1022940
    ukraine
    And how did Reva get to the end of the tunnel before Leia?

  69. #4769
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Who gives a shit?=the answer.

  70. #4770
    Midcarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    24672
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyski View Post
    And how did Reva get to the end of the tunnel before Leia?
    I’d do it by checking the heading of the tunnel and a map to see the most likely exit for a smuggling tunnel. But that’s just me using the most basic method available to someone without the force,

  71. #4771
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    I figure we're going to get an episode of Ben re-training and refamiliarizing himself w/ the Force yeah? There's a fine gap between Ben now and Ben when we meet him in New Hope.

  72. #4772
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    There's about 10 years between this show and New Hope. I definitely see him getting his powers back to full force.

  73. #4773
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Not that I care about the timeline to this specificity, but he definitely looks more than 10 years younger than Alex Guiness did in Star Wars.

  74. #4774
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Not that I care about the timeline to this specificity, but he definitely looks more than 10 years younger than Alex Guiness did in Star Wars.
    Probably because mugs 40 years ago looked older than people do in the modern era. Someone just pointed out to me that Ben Stiller is now the same age as Robert DeNiro was in Meet the Parents. Does Ben Stiller look even remotely as old as Bob did?

    What's funny is that McGregor is 51. Guinness was 62 when New Hope was filmed. So 10 years from now McGregor will be the same age as Guinness was in the timeline. I doubt he'll age that much in 10 years but you never know.

  75. #4775
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Or like how Ralph Macchio was actually a few years older than Thomas Ian Griffith despite Griffith supposedly being a Vietnam vet lol.

  76. #4776
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800


    this guy is a little more harsh than he needs to be but his points here are good examples of why I think the show has been pretty mediocre so far.

    I want to love the Obi Wan/Leia duo but their scenes have really not been good IMO. And I blame the writing not the actors.

  77. #4777
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    Putting it on par w/ Battlefield Earth is inaccurate as fuck. Passing on that vid.

  78. #4778
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    I'll save you some time, I think this guy is a troll. A lot of youtube is filled with this stuff. It is also easy to judge a show at the halfway point, so we don't know where things end up. Maybe some of the decisions will be justified, maybe not.



    I think I get what he is saying about "And Then" storytelling, but that is always going to occur in movies in a shared universe.

  79. #4779
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    I don't think he's a troll since I agree with his criticisms, with the exception of re-adjusting the timeline (based on the original trilogy scenes) because on that point I agree with you about how it's not even an incongruency.

    The Mandalorian set a nice bar for how a Star Wars show can be really well executed. This show is well below that bar, with too many scenes that are cringingly bad, including some of the ones pointed out in that video.

    But I hope the second half of the show is better.

  80. #4780
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I don't think he's a troll since I agree with his criticisms, with the exception of re-adjusting the timeline (based on the original trilogy scenes) because on that point I agree with you about how it's not even an incongruency.

    The Mandalorian set a nice bar for how a Star Wars show can be really well executed. This show is well below that bar, with too many scenes that are cringingly bad, including some of the ones pointed out in that video.

    But I hope the second half of the show is better.
    I've agreed with trolls that doesn't mean they're not trolling. And I also think sometimes people assume trolls do nothing but lie, so I'm not saying this guy is wrong.

    I just think people need to stop trying to compare everything. Is it as good as a show with 2-3 seasons already lead by a much cooler type of character than Obi Wan ever was? IDK.

    And yeah Battlefield Earth, that comment is some lame troll shit lol.

  81. #4781
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    Yeah my troll comment was more about the Battlefield Earth and all the stand up comedy bits cut in the video.

    There are things that I am critical of too, but I'm waiting until the show is done.

  82. #4782
    Temet Nosce Caito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,781
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    941563
    Don’t get me wrong, Mandalorian is great……. But there was plenty, at least half the show, which was all the same. Mando gets somewhere, someone needs a favor, he helps them, and Grogu does something cute. They got into a great groove the second season, but even that took half the episodes to get to a spot that wasn’t the same formula. First season took until the last two episodes as well.



    There’s plenty of places to find fault in entertainment, and you’re always gonna find more if something isn’t to your personal expectations or taste.

  83. #4783
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Critical views aside, I'm curious what the climax of this show will be. Obviously we know the main characters all make it out alive, we know Darth doesn't discover Leia or Luke are his kids, we know Obi Wan's residence on Tatooine is not compromised. This is the tough part of a prequel - making it interesting without much in the way of stakes. Maybe Reva will have the big arc - people have suspected she will turn back to the good side and I could see that coming to fruition.

    When we get to A New Hope there really aren't any Jedis around (IIRC) so maybe even though Darth won't kill Obi Wan, he will kill some other Jedis and break the underground railroad, further leaving Obi Wan as one of the lone Jedi survivors. I expect Tala will get killed.

  84. #4784
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nutmeg State
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1070693
    Curious about how the series plays out as well. I wonder if they tie it together with a younger Yoda sending a child Grogu (who is supposed to be 50 when the Mandalorian starts) to be hidden.

  85. #4785
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    I think the Jedi safeway passages will remain in take, maybe not the one in the previous episode. I think this lays the groundwork for Mando to explain how Grogu escaped Order 66. The motivations of Reva are also something I am looking forward to seeing play out. Is she mad at Obi-Wan because she saw him and Yoda at the temple and saw them do nothing to rescue her and the other younglings in the first scene?

  86. #4786
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Critical views aside, I'm curious what the climax of this show will be. Obviously we know the main characters all make it out alive, we know Darth doesn't discover Leia or Luke are his kids, we know Obi Wan's residence on Tatooine is not compromised. This is the tough part of a prequel - making it interesting without much in the way of stakes. Maybe Reva will have the big arc - people have suspected she will turn back to the good side and I could see that coming to fruition.

    When we get to A New Hope there really aren't any Jedis around (IIRC) so maybe even though Darth won't kill Obi Wan, he will kill some other Jedis and break the underground railroad, further leaving Obi Wan as one of the lone Jedi survivors. I expect Tala will get killed.
    You just need to wait lol. If you're already trying to predict everything so you can be right about your fantasy booking of how we get to what we see in Episode IV, I can see why this shit is getting to you.

    You didn't have that luxury with The Mando or Boba's shows. There is no Boba Fett in the new movies despite him surviving in Jedi. There's no Baby Yoda.

    Ultimately I think what's going to happen with some of these shows like Obi Wan is the same as the Marvel shows. For example, I wasn't a fan at all of Loki. I loved the others. But it seemed like most people enjoyed Loki's show the most and I just thought it was very average. So we're going to get a lot of people thinking Obi is the shit, and others looking at any little thing to nitpick to make it seem "less than".

  87. #4787
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    You just need to wait lol. If you're already trying to predict everything so you can be right about your fantasy booking of how we get to what we see in Episode IV, I can see why this shit is getting to you.

    You didn't have that luxury with The Mando or Boba's shows. There is no Boba Fett in the new movies despite him surviving in Jedi. There's no Baby Yoda.

    Ultimately I think what's going to happen with some of these shows like Obi Wan is the same as the Marvel shows. For example, I wasn't a fan at all of Loki. I loved the others. But it seemed like most people enjoyed Loki's show the most and I just thought it was very average. So we're going to get a lot of people thinking Obi is the shit, and others looking at any little thing to nitpick to make it seem "less than".
    I don't think it's unusual to discuss the plot of a show and predict what's going to happen on a message board. That happens with every popular weekly drama show, even prequel shows. We got TS saying not to discuss the quality until it's over, you're saying don't make predictions about the plot until it's over... I mean what are we doing here? I know this is a precious piece of IP but come on.

    I'm trying to stop talking about the negative and steer the conversation back to the plot/story but I disagree with you and Caito that I'm nitpicking, or that everyone has their favorite shows and it's just a matter of preference or expectations. I mean sure that's true to an extent but you could say that to literally any critique of a show/movie. If you think the quality of this show is as good as Mandalorian or that it's been everything you've wanted from live action Star Wars, then that's fine.

    And if you wanted to talk about how you thought Loki was average and not as good as other people were saying, you could have done that too (maybe you did, I don't remember).

  88. #4788
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I don't think it's unusual to discuss the plot of a show and predict what's going to happen on a message board. That happens with every popular weekly drama show, even prequel shows. We got TS saying not to discuss the quality until it's over, you're saying don't make predictions about the plot until it's over... I mean what are we doing here? I know this is a precious piece of IP but come on.

    I'm trying to stop talking about the negative and steer the conversation back to the plot/story but I disagree with you and Caito that I'm nitpicking, or that everyone has their favorite shows and it's just a matter of preference or expectations. I mean sure that's true to an extent but you could say that to literally any critique of a show/movie. If you think the quality of this show is as good as Mandalorian or that it's been everything you've wanted from live action Star Wars, then that's fine.

    And if you wanted to talk about how you thought Loki was average and not as good as other people were saying, you could have done that too (maybe you did, I don't remember).
    I did speak on Loki. Nowhere in my post did I say I didn't get a chance to voice my opinion about the show.

    What I didn't do is sit there after every episode and dissect, nitpick, and try to predict how it was going to turn out. That's why people are saying, let's wait and see.

    Generalizing doesn't help. "You could say that to literally any critique of a show/movie" Well there's the end of the discussion lol. No doubt you could say this and that about any show and no doubt people discuss shows....But that's a very generic way of getting around what you're doing.

    You should go to a die hard Walking Dead forum/FB group and see how awesome it is listening to some of these fucks bitch and complain about how the show isn't comic book accurate and how are they going to explain this now that this guy is dead when he wasn't dead in the comics. Oh and now there's like 8 spinoffs, holy fuckin shit....

    I kind of see that in the way you and some others are approaching this. Nitpicking things about Obi Wan asking Leah how old she is....Really?

    And like someone said, Mando was the same concept almost every episode. It's a great show but let's not pretend it had a banger every episode. And I don't remember too many people wondering how it all connects with future movies-why? Because barely anyone in those shows were in other movies that come after the time line.

  89. #4789
    50/50 Booker TimeSplitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    15,239
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    261414
    usa
    You are free to critique and predicting as the show goes on, I just said I was waiting on my concerns until the show is over. But things like "this is Battlefied Earth levels of bad" definetly need to wait until the series is over.

    The age line does not bother me. It could be read as either.

    A) She is acting more mature than her age
    B) A good cover for Obi-Wan to not reveal he was at her birth.

  90. #4790
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Shit I don't think it's that deep I don't even remember the scene. That's just some cornball nitpicking. HOW COULD HE NOT KNOW HOW OLD SHE IS??

    Ever forget how old some of your friends' kids are and you see/hear them do some shit and you're like how old are you again? lol

  91. #4791
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    And like someone said, Mando was the same concept almost every episode. It's a great show but let's not pretend it had a banger every episode. And I don't remember too many people wondering how it all connects with future movies-why? Because barely anyone in those shows were in other movies that come after the time line.
    You seem to think I'm being harsh on Obi Wan due to how it will connect to A New Hope as opposed to what I'm really doing which is being harsh because of the sometimes embarrassing writing, directing and performances. I really don't care about the continuity barring some glaring contradiction. I'll leave that to the Star Wars fanboys. Yes I mentioned the challenges of being a prequel but you're conflating that with my criticisms of the show.

    As for Mando - I personally love it and think it's top quality. While not every episode is a banger it never dropped to Obi Wan's level from what I recall. To Caito's point, it's a different format since it's very episodic (mission of the week) and it leans completely into being a Western. And to me that's no better or worse than a serialized, less-Westerny show like Obi Wan. In fact I generally prefer serial dramas to episodic ones. I just think Favreau and Filoni are far better filmmakers than whoever is running Obi Wan and it's obvious from watching each show (so far). Favreau is a hall-of-fame level filmmaker who has succeeded in multiple genres and Filoni is the Star Wars guy to end all Star Wars guys so it's not a fair fight but I still call it like I see it. If Mando didn't exist and Obi Wan came on the heels of the sequel trilogy, I would still be like "okay more mediocre Star Wars output" and the only difference is I wouldn't have something better to compare it against. Mando proved Star Wars can be legitimately great again, not just mid-level fan service (and if you want to say Rogue One did that as well, feel free).

    And yes I agree the video I posted was over the top with the Battlefield Earth comparison and talking like Obi Wan is the worst thing ever. I said he was overly harsh when I posted it so I'm not cosigning everything that guy said but he went over some of the scenes that made me cringe in real-time so I thought it was a good summary of the downside of this show.

  92. #4792
    Temet Nosce Caito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    11,781
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    941563
    Only things I’ve found “cringey” is the two Leia chase scenes. Other than that, I’m really not understanding much of the nitpicking ppl are doing, as it is easy enough to suspend your disbelief.

  93. #4793
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    44,134
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1742798
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    You seem to think I'm being harsh on Obi Wan due to how it will connect to A New Hope as opposed to what I'm really doing which is being harsh because of the sometimes embarrassing writing, directing and performances. I really don't care about the continuity barring some glaring contradiction. I'll leave that to the Star Wars fanboys. Yes I mentioned the challenges of being a prequel but you're conflating that with my criticisms of the show.

    As for Mando - I personally love it and think it's top quality. While not every episode is a banger it never dropped to Obi Wan's level from what I recall. To Caito's point, it's a different format since it's very episodic (mission of the week) and it leans completely into being a Western. And to me that's no better or worse than a serialized, less-Westerny show like Obi Wan. In fact I generally prefer serial dramas to episodic ones. I just think Favreau and Filoni are far better filmmakers than whoever is running Obi Wan and it's obvious from watching each show (so far). Favreau is a hall-of-fame level filmmaker who has succeeded in multiple genres and Filoni is the Star Wars guy to end all Star Wars guys so it's not a fair fight but I still call it like I see it. If Mando didn't exist and Obi Wan came on the heels of the sequel trilogy, I would still be like "okay more mediocre Star Wars output" and the only difference is I wouldn't have something better to compare it against. Mando proved Star Wars can be legitimately great again, not just mid-level fan service (and if you want to say Rogue One did that as well, feel free).

    And yes I agree the video I posted was over the top with the Battlefield Earth comparison and talking like Obi Wan is the worst thing ever. I said he was overly harsh when I posted it so I'm not cosigning everything that guy said but he went over some of the scenes that made me cringe in real-time so I thought it was a good summary of the downside of this show.
    No I've clearly said you are nitpicking and mentioned various examples that were more than just you wondering how something connects to Ep IV.

    I mean, you say you're going to leave things to Star Wars fanboys....but you sound like a Star Wars fanboy--to the point you're nitpicking the writing, making memes about it. It's no different than wrestling fans bitching about the writing, especially when there's no credibility from their end to even discuss what is or isn't good writing.

  94. #4794
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,331
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    787800
    The finale was good.


  95. #4795
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    11,876
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    581608
    I'm glad Kenobi was overall fine. But yeah... the finale was really good.

  96. #4796
    TEETH lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    10,278
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    62688
    italy
    It was everything I wanted it to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •