User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dat Comic Book Thread

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Azzarello on anything not named 100 Bullets is pretty bad. Cooke's Minutemen has promise. JMS is hot and cold. To me, this is a story that should be left alone. Moore and Gibbons did a pretty job of showing the characters through the years, so I am not sure what is left to tell. And before people scream Moore using other characters like League and Lost Girls, those were public domain and he also had a handshake agreement with DC about no other Watchmen stories. So, DC is doing this as a giant money grab which is fine, but the other giant money grab in 52 seems to be dying out.

Moore did throw a fit, but had a good point that DC's major problem is they try to go back to the well instead of creating new characters and stories. DC can do what they want with Watchmen, but I don't think its going to make the type of bank they think it will or it will do a great first issue then fall into the DK2 ranks of things that should never been made. Also, what is wrong with magic? Also, what is JMS going to do if WB decides to reboot B5 without him?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Azzarello did Batman: Broken City which was damn good.

The characters in Watchmen aren't exactly original; they're all proxies for various Charlton Comics characters.

Ceremonial magic is a load of mystical bullshit.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Azz' Bat: Terrible

The Charlton Comics is half false, the story was designed for JLI with Blue Bettel and Booster Gold, Black Canary, Captain Atom and Judo Master. He also changed them around to a large degree.

Every religious ceremony is then bullshit, magic ceremonies is where they originated.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really been enjoying the new Batman from the 52, honestly. Wasn't expecting like the Owls arc, but I really do.

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished a reading of "What If Electra Had Lived?". It's probably the nicest thing Frank Miller has ever written

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cewsh View Post
    Really been enjoying the new Batman from the 52, honestly. Wasn't expecting like the Owls arc, but I really do.
    The last issue was especially good with Batman legitimately losing his shit. Batman's been driven to insanity before, but the way it was stylistically presented in issue 5 really made a difference.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. They took him from normal Batman to off his nut in an amazingly short period of time.

They've already made the Talon a first run nemesis in fewer issues than it takes Frank Miller to finish a rape scene.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Frank Miller has nothing on Alan Moore's rape fetish.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So I have a ton of Deadpool comics (and just comics he makes appearances in) on my tablet and I'm going through them chronologically because I'm OCD about not knowing what characters are talking about when referring to past events.

But anyway, I'm reading X-Force #4 from 1991 right now and there's a very weird plot line.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. How has this not been picked up on elsewhere?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly relevant to the discussion, there was a rap album cover created in June 2001 that was set for release for early September 2001 but had to be delayed so it could have new art.

That album cover...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who else is picking up Gambit #1 today?

FYI: It is a good start and I really dug the art and Gambit's look
    Last edited by IB_Lives; August 8th, 2012 at 1:51 PM. Reason: update

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IB_Lives View Post
    Who else is picking up Gambit #1 today?

FYI: It is a good start and I really dug the art and Gambit's look
    Hawkeye #1 was fantastic btw. Made me care for a character I never gave 2 dimes for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was! The artwork was different/interesting and it really got in his head. The plot wasn't that engaging but I have high hopes. I am just happy they are spending a minute letting the new readers get to know the character and his motivations. The movie didn't do him any favors (yes he was an important character I mean by way of development), he was just kind of there. Looking forward to more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son (4.5 year old) is starting to follow in his daddy's footsteps. He goes to "school" with comic books and he loves the Avengers, especially Captain America. Here is our art project from Wednesday...I am NOT a very good artist but for a 4 year old I'm impressed with his coloring skills. He stayed inside the lines pretty well if you ask me (but I'm obviously biased).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww, that's darling.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a dope Hulk drawing. I'd be a proud dad.

Alf
    Lads, where's the best place to download comic book files (cbr etc)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll PM you a list soon.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Can you not just post them, there's a few new things I fancy a look at as well.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Really don't get the Avengers vs. X-men series. One book it will seem like it has promise, only to absolutely smash any sort of hope I had the next.

Also spoilers about the event.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Lads, where's the best place to download comic book files (cbr etc)?
    Before it shut down demonoid was the best place to get them.

Now that it's gone if you know what you're looking for, just google it.

Like "walking dead 101 cbr"

Go with the 4shared or mediafire links unless all that's available is torrents.

Alf
    Really enjoying the new Batman. I love the new take on Freeze (if it is a new take that is). Not so sure abotu Jason Todd being ressurected though.

Otherwise it is excellent. The whole court of owls thing has been mega.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really enjoying the new Batman. I love the new take on Freeze (if it is a new take that is). Not so sure abotu Jason Todd being ressurected though.

Otherwise it is excellent. The whole court of owls thing has been mega.
    I really enjoyed the Court of Owls stuff also. It's a bit weird getting used to the New 52 stuff and trying to make sense of what's still canon from the past and still not.

I think I read up to the end of the Night of Owls cross-over, which was pretty good. Haven't read anything past that, though I know there's something with

I'm not sure whether I'm on board with those ideas (perhaps the first one, not so much the second one though). However I need to re-read those parts properly to really get a grip on them, I always struggle to keep up with monthly releases, I much prefer contained graphic novels or trade paperbacks, I tend to forget from month to month what happened in the individual issues. I tried keeping up with as much of the new 52 from month to month as possible, and it very quickly dwindled to just keeping up with only the Batman comics. Also has Jason Todd re-died and been resurrected again? Or did you just not know he was the Red Hood in the first place?

I'm just finishing off every issue of No Man's Land myself. Including all of the cross-overs with Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, etc. Some great stuff in there, the idea behind it is fantastic and the entire of concept of the Arkham City games are all firmly rooted within in.

Alf, you said you'd done some of the classic Year One, Dark Knight Returns type stuff. But have you done Long Halloween, Dark Victory or The Killing Joke? Some incredible classic stuff there.

I recently had the Year by Year DC Chronicle bought for me for my birthday, and I've been page-marking throughout so that when I've done with No Man's Land I can find some really old issues and stories, the first appearances of characters such as Riddler, Two-Face, etc. Looking forward to educating myself a bit.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up the first volume of the New 52 Justice League a while back. While I liked the idea of seeing how they all meet up, I didn't like many of the personalities. Batman just didn't sound like Batman, Green Lantern was annoying, Superman wasn't particularly interesting, etc.

When I was on holiday, I picked up the first collection of No Man's Land (which is expanded to include other characters) and really enjoyed it. Did the same with the Knightfall volumes - something I've read loads of times, but I could read it another 100 times no problem. Some bits are fresh since it also combines other stories, compared to previous releases.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed all of the lead up to the breaking of Batman. I wasn't a fan of the Azreal stuff afterward though. I enjoyed Azreal more in No Man's Land.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Really don't get the Avengers vs. X-men series. One book it will seem like it has promise, only to absolutely smash any sort of hope I had the next.

Also spoilers about the event.
    That has been Marvel's massive problem for a long time. Great idea, pretty good start and middle, but by the last issue or the one before it falls apart. House of M was the start of that trend and it doesn't seem like its ever going to stop.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I really enjoyed the Court of Owls stuff also. It's a bit weird getting used to the New 52 stuff and trying to make sense of what's still canon from the past and still not.

I think I read up to the end of the Night of Owls cross-over, which was pretty good. Haven't read anything past that, though I know there's something with

I'm not sure whether I'm on board with those ideas (perhaps the first one, not so much the second one though). However I need to re-read those parts properly to really get a grip on them, I always struggle to keep up with monthly releases, I much prefer contained graphic novels or trade paperbacks, I tend to forget from month to month what happened in the individual issues. I tried keeping up with as much of the new 52 from month to month as possible, and it very quickly dwindled to just keeping up with only the Batman comics. Also has Jason Todd re-died and been resurrected again? Or did you just not know he was the Red Hood in the first place?

I'm just finishing off every issue of No Man's Land myself. Including all of the cross-overs with Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, etc. Some great stuff in there, the idea behind it is fantastic and the entire of concept of the Arkham City games are all firmly rooted within in.

Alf, you said you'd done some of the classic Year One, Dark Knight Returns type stuff. But have you done Long Halloween, Dark Victory or The Killing Joke? Some incredible classic stuff there.

I recently had the Year by Year DC Chronicle bought for me for my birthday, and I've been page-marking throughout so that when I've done with No Man's Land I can find some really old issues and stories, the first appearances of characters such as Riddler, Two-Face, etc. Looking forward to educating myself a bit.
    Oh yeah, I totally prefer the collections too rather than issue by issue.

I have done Long Halloween, Hush, Dark Victory (which was fantastic), Killing Joke, that mad Arkham Asylum on. The Batman Noel one released last year that was a take ont he Scrooge tale (which was fantastic too). I want toget hold of Robin: Year one and stuff like that too.

I want to plough through No Man's Land too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batman is so awesome.

I don't know any other character with such a consistent list of win.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiderman was my favourite when I was younger - I'd always pick up the older and classic stories when I was on holiday - but now Batman has completely taken over my comic purchases. I even rediscovered some of my old Batman annuals from the 90s which are still decent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just re-read through Long Halloween and Dark Victory. I fucking love those books.

The story is great, the art is just the right side of weird, I bloody love them. I've decided to track down other Loeb/Sale collaborations starting with Superman: For All Seasons before moving on to their Marvel stuff. I did read through Catwoman: When in Rome, and Haunted Knight, both of which are decent enough (Catwoman does nicely fill in that her whereabouts throughout Dark Victory), but they don't touch upon the greatness of Long Halloween and Dark Victory themselves.

Alf
    I'm smashing through the while No Man's Land saga now.

I'm not a fan of some of the art style, it's too cartoony.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of collection have you got? As obviously the art fluctuates from comic to comic. I remember the Nightwing and Robin books looking very cartoony. And I hated some of the art in the books where Batman had spiky shoulders and a Tim Burton curled up cape.

There's some good stuff in there. And I love the idea of cataclysm, a series of books essentially dealing with these characters reacting to a natural disaster.
    Last edited by Guy; August 28th, 2012 at 9:48 AM.

Alf
    I've got the full works, covering all the difference comics.

There's one particular style that is really cartoony and makes robin look like he has a bowl haircut and is wearing big goggle glasses.

Alf
    Finished!

Fuck me that was good. So, so, good.

I was really shocked by

Loved all of it really. What happened in the aftermath then? How did the comics deal with Gotham being re-built?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    It just happened. I think a few issues dealt with the rebuild, but it was general passing. If anything he helps Lex get elected.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    it sort of reminded me of the re-building following Battle For Metropolis. Fucking Zatanna, fuck off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been reading MANY books, some new and some old (Civil War), but today I am mostly looking forward to the release of Avengers Assemble #7 this week. Thanos arrives. I'm really liking this series and hope it continues strong once the NOW shit begins.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody else looking forward to Avengers #1? Opena's artwork is untouchable at this point.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/...ide-avengers-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very much looking forward to it..and especially finding out who the few unknown Avengers are that are hidden on the cover......Heard tons of theories but I'm just sittin' tight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished!

Fuck me that was good. So, so, good.

I was really shocked by

Loved all of it really. What happened in the aftermath then? How did the comics deal with Gotham being re-built?
    Some incredible stuff in there isn't there. And the ending with The Joker is magnificent.

I love how the idea of No Man's Land made Penguin borderline righteous at some points also.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Erm...

Anyone reading Avengers vs X-Men?

If you're reading it then that's enough, if not I ain't going to spoil it (although the worlds press might)

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am but I don't think I'm caught up.

Someone told me Scott Summers is the biggest dick in the Marvel Universe, which isn't hard to believe since Scott Summers is a huge fucking dick head.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    If you don't think you're caught up, trust me on this one mate you aren't.

Scott has been a dick for ever, never liked the poncy little cock.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Are you really shocked by it though Rip?

For some reason I wasn't even taken a back by it that much.

Spoiler about it (AvX 11)

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm on AvX 8 I think. Phoenix five making the world a better place and all that.

The fucking massive torrent I've been using hasn't been updated.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    To be honest even in 'comic book land' it came as a shock, it probably shouldn't have but I really thought they would pull back at the end, the over-all arc is a little disappointing because there are a few times they've nearly done something (like Pablo said about the way the sides are becoming 'neat') so in a way yes it was a shock, moreso the who than the what.

I still struggle with Ben in a giant one piece baby-gro aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly why I love my son. Took him to the Halloween store and let him pick out his costume. He wore it all evening yesterday and it was a pain to get it off of him come bedtime. His mother just texted me that she allowed him to wear it to pre-school today..Not sure how I feel about that but it sure is cute.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    hahahahaha, he's so into it as well. Good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took over a dozen photos where he is posing just like Captain would holding the shield out. I just loved this one the most because of his "serious business" face.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    www.comicsalliance.com has been having a field day with AvsX. Pretty much pointing out the stupidity of all of it as well as some of the action beats. I for one am not that shocked about the death, but the idea that Cyke could win a battle with Emma especially in something that deals with the mind is a bit ridiculous. I personally like Scott, I know a number of people who hate him, but I put that on the X-Movies of making him a third string player that cock blocks Wolverine when in the X-Men comics, he is a top tier guy who taps some fine asses. My major gripe is that they didn't need Phoenix. They could have done a very good, very realistic epic story about the world view of the X-Men ie everyone hates our guts and we are now an endangered species and may need to cross the line vs the Avengers worldview of All heroes need to get in line or else. It feels like they are jobbing the X-Men out to help push Avengers sale figures which with the movie is doing, it doesn't need to be done. Also, I am putting money on Magento to be the one to avenge the death.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one loved the hell out of what went down in AvX. This is the first time I've ever been interested in the Scott Summer character, and combined with Coipel's art I was floored.

Anybody else reading Uncanny X-Force? Easily Marvels best title for me. As a comic book, and even as an X-Men book, it's about as pure as any of the other X books ever tried to be.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bought my first comic/graphic novel in quite a while the other day ( i normally read em online ), i got moon knights the bottom for 5 bucks( good read crazy bastard needs more love ) just need to find the next chapter midnight sun

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    . I personally like Scott, I know a number of people who hate him, but I put that on the X-Movies of making him a third string player that cock blocks Wolverine when in the X-Men comics, he is a top tier guy who taps some fine asses..
    I've been an X-Men fan since the 80's.

Scott is a cock, pure and simple, always has been, always will be.

The movies didn't make him one, it's how he was created, read the early stuff, watch the early cartoons, he's always been a complete dick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr sabu View Post
    bought my first comic/graphic novel in quite a while the other day ( i normally read em online ), i got moon knights the bottom for 5 bucks( good read crazy bastard needs more love ) just need to find the next chapter midnight sun

I LOVE Moon Knight and am also currently enjoying his most recent run (I think there are like 12 issues total). Good choice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get enough of the Spider-Man newspaper strip. I know it's plots are more than a little silly, but it's just a load of good fun, easily better than the shit the mainstream books have been since 1998 (yes, the suck stretches THAT far, even if there were a few bright spots under JMS)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IB_Lives View Post
    I LOVE Moon Knight and am also currently enjoying his most recent run (I think there are like 12 issues total). Good choice!
    I still have the Opena issues. Back then his artwork showed so much potential, even back when he was drawing Punisher, I just knew he'd be a big name soon enough.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Womanthology: Space #1 Review
    ign link
    by Joshua Yehl September 20, 2012

Womanthology: Space #1 Review
    One small step for women, one giant leap for Womanthology.

Vertigo’s Mystery in Space #1 anthology from earlier this year encompassed a dreary and cynical view of sci-fi, so if you’re looking for a more upbeat and positive collection of space-themed stories then Womanthology: Space #1 will satisfy. One tale features an alien waitress who desires love but doesn’t want to go “robosexual,” while the most grounded entry gives an inspiring look at the would-be first woman on the moon. A breadth of creativity went into every idea, but as is the nature of an anthology, some shine brighter than others.

My favorite from the collection, The Adventures of Princess Plutonia, comes from writer/artist Ming Doyle, whose style evokes the Golden Age of comics. With only two pages to work with, she creates an unsettling alien world and uses some fun technology to deliver a satisfying conclusion, like the best sci-fi often does. A couple of the other creative teams start with a promising concept but miss the mark by trying to squeeze too much in, or, at other times, do not explore their ideas enough.

All of the writers and artists are featured in a biographical section in the back, but the letterer of four of the five stories, Rachel Deering, sticks out as a glaring omission. While the quality of each story varies from entry to entry, her lettering consistently looks out of this world. Also, I cannot end this review without mentioning the outstanding cover by Womanthology founder Renae DeLiz. Her ethereal image of the girl from the cover of Womanthology: Heroic has a quirky yet haunting beauty that encompasses the flavor of this anthology to a tee.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After really enjoying Dredd 3D, I thought I'd have a look for a copy of 2000AD. Aside from it seeming stupidly overpriced, the art was mostly horrible computer coloured stuff, and the main Judge Dredd story was all blurred and artifacted like someone had downloaded it as a 500x500 pixel JPEG and just stretched it out. If that wasn't a massive printing error then god help them.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    The old 2000AD stuff is brilliant mate, look for Judgement Day, it spanned both 2000AD and the Megazine but as epics go it was brilliant, the Cursed Earth arc again was fantastic and Necropolis (which comes before Judgement Day) is top notch. I read 2000AD from '82 to around '02 every week so I'm a bit nervous about seeing Dredd

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to look for some old classic collections, but I just wanted a look at what was on shelves today. I expected something quite grungy with nice old classic lines, was very disappointed to see it's gone the way of everything else.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    It's bloody awful mate now, the early stuff is brilliant, I'd also say to look up ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog (again the early stuff though) and Robo-Hunter

Alf
    Smashed through loads of X-men stuff.

I did all the House of M and fallout stuff, all the way through Schism, AvX, and now onto the new x-men series.

I also started on Astonishing X-men.

Poor Scotty, what's happened to him...

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I quite enjoy the New X-Men series.

You shoudl give Uncanny X-Force a read. AS the banned Mark84j said. It's really some good stuff (minus one of the arcs).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stumbled onto this blog, and it's bloody brilliant. For any comic fan that loves revisiting good comic runs, I highly recommend this as it's a good read.

http://arousinggrammar.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've discovered recently that my passion for comics is gone. I don't know what it is, but when something that I attach to suddenly becomes either part of the mass public's consumption or popular to some extent, the mystique kind of wears off, I guess. It wasn't that long ago that comics were for nerds, and being a nerd wasn't necessarily cool - whereas now, basically the blockbuster movies that actually make money are based on comics, and a large portion of "nerdly" past times has become either chic, or just part of every day acceptance. Blech.

Anyway, after DC rebooted their universe, I gave Action a shot, and while I enjoyed it, the whole thing (the reboot, that is) just left a bad taste in my mouth. One of the things that kept me into DC was that they actually acknowledge what happens in their universe's history, which I honestly don't feel Marvel takes advantage of (which is one of the reasons I haven't read anything Marvel in years).

So, I basically just ordered the remaining tpb's of Y: The Last Man to complete my collection, as well as All Star Superman which I've wanted a non-electronic copy of for a while now. I guess after getting (repurchasing vol's 1 and 4, and finally getting the last volume) of Preacher, I think I'm done with comics for a while. Nothing sparks my interest anymore. I kinda feel bad, because I feel like I've given up, but at the same time, I don't feel too bad because I'm a 33 year old man who still reads comics.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I'm just wishing Scott Snyder would get the fuck away from writing Batman. His Death in the family story has been absolute shit and the court of owls wasn't much better.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    So I was in the library with the bairn the other day, while he was picking his books I picked up the collected Ultimate Spiderman (7 I think)

Some advice in case you find yourself in a similar position...

Read the kids books, Spiderman's shite.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    I'm just wishing Scott Snyder would get the fuck away from writing Batman. His Death in the family story has been absolute shit and the court of owls wasn't much better.
    Man, I feel exactly the opposite.

I've been enjoying pretty much the entire offshoot Batman family of comics since the New 52 started, and I'm slowly working my way through some of the new Marvel stuff too. The Marvel Now stuff if way hit or miss, but Gambit has been solid at least.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Stumbled onto this blog, and it's bloody brilliant. For any comic fan that loves revisiting good comic runs, I highly recommend this as it's a good read.

http://arousinggrammar.com/
    Really great recomendation. I'm going to lose my whole day to this site.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    People are head over heels for Snyder's Batman run, but I'm not really getting it. Chopped off face Joker is so lame. I detest the "grim-dark for the sake of it" route that many writers think Batman needs to go in. I'll take Grant Morrison's zanier take on the character over any of the other current offerings.

I find that most of Grant Morrison's detractor's are whiny neckbeards who shit bricks when their beloved static characters are taken into new directions.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; February 13th, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Snyder is basically writing a horror book starring Batman, he's said as much in interviews. That's been his vision all along, and there are other Batman stories going on in the 4 or 5 other Batman books that balance that out with a lighter tone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Joker is horrifying enough without having his chopped off for no reason.

I really like some of Snyder's Batman work (The Black Mirror arc was really good), but a lot of it rubs me the wrong way. It's not the fact that it's dark, but rather that it's such a juvenile dark.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seen plenty of people who feel that way, and my way too. Probably just down to how we like our Batman stories.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizoOzz View Post
    I think I've discovered recently that my passion for comics is gone. I don't know what it is, but when something that I attach to suddenly becomes either part of the mass public's consumption or popular to some extent, the mystique kind of wears off, I guess. It wasn't that long ago that comics were for nerds, and being a nerd wasn't necessarily cool - whereas now, basically the blockbuster movies that actually make money are based on comics, and a large portion of "nerdly" past times has become either chic, or just part of every day acceptance. Blech.

Anyway, after DC rebooted their universe, I gave Action a shot, and while I enjoyed it, the whole thing (the reboot, that is) just left a bad taste in my mouth. One of the things that kept me into DC was that they actually acknowledge what happens in their universe's history, which I honestly don't feel Marvel takes advantage of (which is one of the reasons I haven't read anything Marvel in years).

So, I basically just ordered the remaining tpb's of Y: The Last Man to complete my collection, as well as All Star Superman which I've wanted a non-electronic copy of for a while now. I guess after getting (repurchasing vol's 1 and 4, and finally getting the last volume) of Preacher, I think I'm done with comics for a while. Nothing sparks my interest anymore. I kinda feel bad, because I feel like I've given up, but at the same time, I don't feel too bad because I'm a 33 year old man who still reads comics.
    Check out The Dark Angel Saga from Uncanny X-Force. It might just spark things again, trust me.
    Last edited by VHS; February 13th, 2013 at 4:15 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Joker is horrifying enough without having his chopped off for no reason.
    I agree with this and i think it was stupid that he chopped it off only to wear it again as a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I really like some of Snyder's Batman work (The Black Mirror arc was really good), but a lot of it rubs me the wrong way. It's not the fact that it's dark, but rather that it's such a juvenile dark.
    Yeah the Black Mirror arc was pretty good and The Court of owls wasn't too bad until it was revealed how was pulling the strings and we got the revelations about Martha Wayne probably worsened my opinion of it and soured me on the whole recent goings on.

I seen plenty of people who feel that way, and my way too. Probably just down to how we like our Batman stories.
    Very true i've seen plenty of people say the current run is up there with the best Batman runs. While i don't agree i can't fault people for thinking that i'm sure plenty wouldn't agree with my fave Batman run. (Doug Monech in the early 80's in case you were wondering) It does all come down to personal taste and considering theres so many directions you take Batman in not everyone is going to be happy all the time.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with this and i think it was stupid that he chopped it off only to wear it again as a mask.
    If it helps, they revealed that he didn't chop off his own face. The Dollmaker did it to Joker in Arkham Asylum and that's why Joker is so off his shit even by his standards.

It's a bit ambiguous as to whether Joker WANTED Dollmaker to do it or not, but there is something to it.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Check out The Dark Angel Saga from Uncanny X-Men. It might just spark things again, trust me.
    Uncanny X-Force.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If it helps, they revealed that he didn't chop off his own face. The Dollmaker did it to Joker in Arkham Asylum and that's why Joker is so off his shit even by his standards.

It's a bit ambiguous as to whether Joker WANTED Dollmaker to do it or not, but there is something to it.
    Still lame. The Joker is a master manipulator who wouldn't allow some D-grade villain to carve up his face. I mean, it's ridiculous to say what a fictional character would or would not do, but Joker is never subservient. The Joker practically came in his pants when what's-his-name lopped his face off. It was ridiculous, and from what I gather it only served to hobble the story Snyder wanted to tell.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

No i'm pretty certain he asked the Dollmaker to do it in Detective #01 (God i hate the new 52 numbering)

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Pretty sure he wanted it done, don't know why, but sure it was his idea.

I hate the direction people seem determined to turn Joker since Ledger, each incarnation seems to be further from who he always was.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills View Post
    Uncanny X-Force.
    Oh, Jesus. That's a horribly mispoken title on my part even though I had just finished reading Uncanny X-Men when I posted that. And since I'm on the subject, Uncanny X-Men wasn't bad. but it just raises more questions in an already confusing X universe.

There are way too many titles going around these days: Uncanny X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers, Secret Avengers, etc. it's madness. It's impossible to keep up with which books are being rebooted, which ones are in continuations of what. It's like piecing together 10 different puzzles at the same time.
    Last edited by VHS; February 13th, 2013 at 4:17 PM.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im at work so havent grabbed anything yet. But anyone else loving daredevil? Its been so damn good

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    I hate the direction people seem determined to turn Joker since Ledger, each incarnation seems to be further from who he always was.
    Ledger's Joker is just a composite of a few of the past incarnations of the character. I'm always confused when people say that the Nolan take somehow diverges from the comic book counterpart. He's basically the same Joker from Batman #1; he shows up out of no where to fuck shit up.

Grant Morrison's take is pretty definitive. He acknowledges that the Joker recreates his own persona as he sees fit.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Morrison has Joker nailed, I like Ledgers and I'm not saying his/Nolans Joker isn't right, it's the ripples he seems to have caused that I have an issue with, since Ledger we seem to have had people almost trying to pull away from it, heading darker and further off kilter but in doing so they seem to leave the source behind, look at Killing Joke which is a pretty f*cked up dark Joker, probably as bad as the current run, but at the same time there's still that playfulness, that 'Joker' about him which somehow seem to have been lost in the mix in a way now.

I like Ledgers Joker, it's not my favourite but I do like it alot, and I agree that people often point fingers at it for no real reason, that's not my problem it's the reaction within the writers communitee that pisses me off.

Alf
    Started on the new avengers series too. Love it.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    hello chums. I'm a Green lantern fanboy. Most recently, Rise of The Third Army wasn't as interesting for the Third Army itself (which was a bit of a let-down actually) so much as the Guardians and Corps stuff, and I'm pretty excited about Wrath of the First Lantern.

I've been getting back into comics using Comixology on my phone, but really miss the whole ceremony of having actual print.

What are the best sites for subscriptions in the UK? I tried Legion of Comics a while ago, but the issues were always super later and not always sent out in order.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashed through loads of X-men stuff.

I did all the House of M and fallout stuff, all the way through Schism, AvX, and now onto the new x-men series.

I also started on Astonishing X-men.

Poor Scotty, what's happened to him...
    I just finished House of M, too. I really enjoyed it, but did you think the ending was kind of underwhelming? For such a massive crossover, the final battle and ending really fell flat for me. Should I check out the House of M aftermath stuff?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would. I thought it was really well done, with a fresh dynamic and pretty interesting conclusion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, the more I think about it, I guess I wouldn't call the ending underwhelming, just completely not what I was expecting. It's Marvel, so I as expecting your usual insanely over the top massive end battle that you always seem to get in Marvel crossovers. I definitely didn't expect the existential stuff we got there.

Next up is Civil War.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oof good luck on civil war, that one was a chore and took out some pf my favorite characters.

I grabbed a new trade today, Secret Warriors vol. 2, and i am loving it so far

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finally caved into peer pressure and watched the first four episodes of the Walking Dead, but not before reading everything (but the Governor special that just came out recently) and absolutely love it. I don't even like Zombies, but I love this comic.

Currently I'm pretty into a lot of Marvel, I find DC really hard to get into, though I didn't mind the Court of Owls storyline (dragged a bit, but overall quite nice) - I'll look into Death in the Family when I get a bit of time, but between work and preparing for my wedding my time tends to get cut more and more short.

I don't know if anyone's checked this out, but I highly recommend Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. It's only about 10 issues in but its just a lot of fun, and really is quite beautiful to look at.

Hickman's run on the Avengers and New Avengers have both been good, as has Fraction, but more-so on the off-beat FF title that has Ant-Man in it.

Bendis is doing an immense job with All-New X-Men, and the new Uncanny X-Men has come out so its still too early to say, looks promising I suppose.

I really, really, really, REALLY, love the following just for being flat out fun comics: Wolverine & the X-Men, Daredevil, Indestructible Hulk (can't believe I actually enjoy a hulk comic), Captain America, HAWKEYE, DC's Suicide Squad, The Sixth Gun, Uncanny Avengers, Young Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, Superman Earth One Volume Two...

I tried to get into Sandman comics because I actually really loved Neil Gaiman's paperbacks like American Gods & Anansi Boys, but I've found it really difficult to get into...

I cannot stress actually how much I like comics at the moment. There's so much there to read, I just wish I could read things in one hit. It's more fun reading something like 100 Bullets right the way through, rather than picking each issue up thirty days from one another and forgetting a few details here and there..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's how I feel about Invincible, Walking Dead and Morning Glories. The wait for the next one is killing me. I have so much to read on my tablet though. Right now I'm reading the Game of Thrones books but then I plan on getting back to 100 bullets. I think I was on like issue 6 probably a year or so ago. I might re-read from the beginning to refresh my memory.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the love for Hawkeye and Daredevil. Im loving Superior Spiderman too, despite all the controversy.

PS if you haven't please read Starman, such an amazing series.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    That's how I feel about Invincible,
    It was the worst during Invincible's first bout with Conquest. I don't think I've ever been excited and scared to read the next issue of a comic book.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills View Post
    Agree with the love for Hawkeye and Daredevil. Im loving Superior Spiderman too, despite all the controversy.

PS if you haven't please read Starman, such an amazing series.
    Cheers.

As for Superior Spider-Man I'm still giving it a bit of time. Everyone's lauding Slott as this massive genius for what he's done but to be honest the whole thing feels very 90'S to me..

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Slott is the most overrated writer at Marvel. He is just rewriting stories and making them worse. Yes, if this was the 90s, Slott would in the same boat as the Image guys. Civil War and Brand New Day killed Marvel for me. I am close to catching up on Walking Dead

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    so, the end of Death Of The Family,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Slott is the most overrated writer at Marvel. He is just rewriting stories and making them worse. Yes, if this was the 90s, Slott would in the same boat as the Image guys. Civil War and Brand New Day killed Marvel for me. I am close to catching up on Walking Dead
    What didn't you like about Civil War? I'm about a third of the way in, so far, and I'm enjoying it.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discounting something like Civil War is kind of impossible since it had about 8 million moving pieces. Cap became kind of a twat and the main storyline got a little ham fisted, but the Spiderman and Speedball/Penance storylines were fucking amazing.