User Tag List

Page 1 of 70 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones *TV Spoilers*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game of Thrones *TV Spoilers*

Apparently the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series A Song of Ice and Fire are going to be made into high budget television series' with one season dedicated to each book. Its so far being touted as The Sopranos in Middle Earth. I havent read the books, so dont know too much about them, but I'm excited by some great casting so far:

Sean Bean has nabbed the lead in "Game of Thrones," HBO's adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series. Tom McCarthy is directing; David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who wrote the screenplay, are executive producing.

Mark Addy is in final negotiations to also join the production. Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd also have come aboard.

The books revolves around a battle among seven kingdoms and between two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne, the possession that ensures survival through a 40-year winter to come.

Bean will play Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, known for his sense of honor and justice, who becomes closest adviser to King Robert (Addy).

Harrington will play Jon Snow, Bean's bastard son, and Lloyd will play Viserys, a powerless ruler who seeks to marry off his sister to a powerful king. Gleeson will play Joffrey, King Robert's son.

Peter Dinklage also is in the cast for the production, which is in the pilot stage and begins shooting in October in Ireland.

Guymon Casady, Carolyn Strauss, Vincent Gerardis and Martin also are executive producing.

"Thrones" marks the latest fantasy epic-style production for Bean. He recently wrapped shooting on "Percy Jackson & the Olympians," an adaptation of Rick Riordan's children's book. Bean, repped by CAA, also has "Black Death," a supernatural thriller set during England's first bubonic plague, in postproduction.
    The most recent castings also have Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett in the BBC Pride and Prejudice much-decorated series) and also Lena Headey (Sarah Connor Chronicles and Queen Gorgo in 300) in the series.

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" star Lena Headey is headed to "Game of Thrones."

Heady has closed a deal to co-star on HBO's fantasy pilot, an adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy book series that chronicles a battle among seven kingdoms and two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne.

She will play Queen Cersei of House Lannister, wife of King Robert (Mark Addy) and sister of twin brother Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and outsider younger brother Tyrion (Peter Dinkladge).

The cast of the pilot is led by previously cast Sean Bean as battle-weary Ned Stark, who leaves his home to serve the king.

The casting of Headey, who has a big fan following based on her starring turn in "Terminator," is sure to add to the already strong online interest in HBO's "Games" adaptation.

For the British actress, this is the second queen role in a screen adaptation after her role as Queen Gorgo in the feature "300," based on Frank Miller's graphic novel.
    It all sounds pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of my University friends can't stop talking about these books. Its actually ridiculous. They say they are the "greatest books ever". Now, they can't stop talking about the tv series. One of my friends was trying to figure out teasers they leaked for the casting up until they announced it. I'm intrigued to read these books since I enjoy the genre and my friends are usually right about these things.

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are amazing books.

Seriously, the most "adult" themed "fantasy" books I've ever read. The fights are as gritty and dangerous feeling as any series I've read due to the authors penchant for having zero care about killing off a "main" character when it fits the story. This is partially due to the way the story is told, through the view point of a variety of characters rather than one singular one, making no true "main" protaganist. This is also what helps add to the book, as there are few few truly "BAD" people, there is a ton of shades of grey, in part because what seems like an evil person through one perspective may be seen in a different light when shown from another.

More to the point, save for the closest guy you can call the most important character, Eddard Stark, almost everyone in the story could be a "tweener" in wrestling terms.

For the first few books, save for the initial prolog, there is very very little magic considering its a fantasy novel, though it comes bit by bit into the world. I can see the "Soprano's" reference, in part due to the adult brutal nature of it and in part due to the amount of intrigue found in it. Double crosses, deceptions, and wide reaching ploys abound in it and the author is extremely good at putting in foreshadowing that you may not get right off but once you get to the point he was foreshadowing it hits you like a truck.

If you like the Fantasy Genre, or you like political/intrigue like drama's, I'd definitely definitely recommend the books. The first 100 pages can be somewhat of a slow read as its weird jumping from character to character. However, once you hit that threshold and start identifying the characters a bit it takes hold and is a fun ride throughout.

The TV series should be pretty good, with the pilot being set up perfectly by the book with a great cliff hanger that should hook people. Casting seems to be going well so far and they nabbed a good one for Eddard, and Martin is working with them in the casting.

Now if only the fatass would get working on finishing the next book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, I was worried about this telling the story from different characters point of views. I don't know if I would enjoy that? I always like a clear protagonist in a story, someone you can identify with and get behind. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. Since these books continue to get such high praise from people around me, I doubt these points are much of a problem. I definitely intend to read these books with some free time.

I've heard that frustration about his next book about a million times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds very good indeed. Thanks for that run down.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are good for fantasy but thats like being pleasant smelling for shit.

Its loaded with plenty of nerd hooks. Like sex for the sake of it, wolves, etc. It really is the literary equivalent of a batman watch. I mean its batman and it tells the time, but you aren't wearing it out on a date unless you are retarded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you've just made it sound better.

In fairness though, I'm just excited cos Sean Bean is the lead.

And I havent been out on a date since I got my Batman Watch...OR BELT.

Alf
    A friend of mine is editing it. Theya re shooting in Ireland appaz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get me an opportunity to meet Sean Bean? I'll take him my screenplay over.

Alf
    I can probably get you some off cuts of Bean being all Beany... he could edit you a wank reel together...

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Now you've just made it sound better.

In fairness though, I'm just excited cos Sean Bean is the lead.

And I havent been out on a date since I got my Batman Watch...OR BELT.
    I thought you would like my review

Its pretty interesting in all seriousness. It is a bit over the top to bring in the nerds but he does paint an interesting world. I think it will come up a treat as a show though.

Its based pretty heavily on the War of the Roses in many ways. It is a pretty cool little historical world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are definitely some "Cliched" things in the books, without doubt. Some of the sex is some what unneeded but at the same time often whatever sex is occuring in the books has a purpose so its not completely gratuitous. I can't remember a number of times where there's sex involve that I'm thinking "now really, was there a need for that" though I'm rereading them now so I may end up finding ones I forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by brethart4ever View Post
    Yah, I was worried about this telling the story from different characters point of views. I don't know if I would enjoy that? I always like a clear protagonist in a story, someone you can identify with and get behind. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. Since these books continue to get such high praise from people around me, I doubt these points are much of a problem. I definitely intend to read these books with some free time.

I've heard that frustration about his next book about a million times.
    The different POV's at first really bugged me, but by the end was part that hooked me. Nothing gets you wanting to keep reading than finishing up a hot chapter only to know its another 50-80+ pages before you get to read it again. So you end up reading more, hoping to get closer to it, but before you know it now you're wanting to know what happens next for the character you just read about.

It also, strangely enough, helps you identify with the characters a bit more...at least early on when they're all still interacting with each other. Not only are you seeing the world from their eyes, but seeing how others in the world react to them. For example, Arya, the young tom boy daughter, seems like a somewhat opionated typical kid disliking stuffy life from her own perspective, a free spirited rapscallion from her brothers, and an utter brat from her sisters.

But I think what it does the most is it helps draw you into the story, rather than the characters. Its almost like you're reading to see what happens next to the world, rather than what happens to Ned, or Tyrion, or another character.

Its a stark (no pun intended) change from normal reading and takes a bit of getting accustomed to it, but once you settle in (Like I said, takes about the first 100~ pages or so) it really flows well. That said, you'll undoubtably still be able to find favorites to root for or want to read, be they POV characters or even secondary characters (I have some friends that are big fans of The Hound)

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of books are like that. As I Lay Dying for example.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    Lots of books are like that. As I Lay Dying for example.
    Like what? The POV or something else?

I'm in no way saying what Martin is doing/has done is unique to him or something he created. However, much of what he's done is the first time I've come upon such in the fantasy genre. Granted, I've not read everything but can only speak to my own experiences.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The POV thing.

I don't read a lot of fantasy but doesn't the same shit also happen in The Wheel of Time.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The books are amazing, the cast looks great and the leaked script is very promising. I am erect.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    The POV thing.

I don't read a lot of fantasy but doesn't the same shit also happen in The Wheel of Time.
    I think it might, though I'm not positive. Wheel of Time is one of those strange fantasies that I know I'm supposed to like and WANT to read, but I've just never had the urge to get my ass up and actually go do it.

Though I've got to imagine its better than the horrendous Terry Goodkind crap that went the opposite direction you're supposed to go in serieses, starting okay and then getting horribly shitty.

Alf
    I'm reading this at the mo...

And someone I know is editing the series in Norn Ireland. They are shooting most of it out there too. I'm going to try and go out there as an assistant editor for him... he's got to pull some strings though.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one wants you here. Just stay where you are and you'll be ok.

Alf
    I'm going to come and visit you. I'll bring Sean Bean.

Alf
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjY6QnOPcoI&feature=channel"]YouTube - Game Of Thrones: Behind The Scenes Featurette (HBO)[/ame]

Behind the scenes...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo"]YouTube - Game Of Thrones Official "Raven" Tease (HBO)[/ame]

New teaser...

I've just finished the 4th book. Wowzer. It's so fucking good. I hope they do it justice...

It's perfect for HBO really. It's really complex, political, a lot of stuff happens off-screen (the wire), it's really violent, sexy, and sweary (True Blood, Deadwood), and it's got Bean in it.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not the biggest fan of the books (a little heavy on rape, incest and every decent character getting murdered for me), but this show looks like it's going to be something to serious keep tabs on.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HBO can do no wrong.

Alf
    For anyone who has read the books...

http://blogoficeandfire.blogspot.com...1_archive.html

This guy is reading through the books slowly and blogging his reactions. It is very fucking funny indeed.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just started reading yesterday and I'm halfway through the first book. Pretty fucking fantastic. I've owned it for years, but never started it in earnest.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first 4/5ths of the first book is as fine of a fantasy tale as you'll ever see.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    But all the likable or cool characters die? That's not promising.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all of them, the deaths give a great sense that anything could happen unlike most fantasy books.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at getting the first book at Waterstones today, but it was too thick and there were too many and the print was too small. I cant be bothered reading a first book that looks like such an uncomfortable read. So I think that I'm just going to start the Dark Tower series instead.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I looked at getting the first book at Waterstones today, but it was too thick and there were too many and the print was too small. I cant be bothered reading a first book that looks like such an uncomfortable read. So I think that I'm just going to start the Dark Tower series instead.
    Oh my god Mikles. Are you trying to make me hate you? Stop blooding.

Dark Tower books get proper thick. Thicker than your ma's knob.

For fuck sake just read it will you. You'll absolutely love it.

And lads, spoiler tags for the benefit of the uninitiated please.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Not at all in my opinion.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    But all the likable or cool characters die? That's not promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Collin View Post
    Not all of them, the deaths give a great sense that anything could happen unlike most fantasy books.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Oh my god Mikles. Are you trying to make me hate you? Stop blooding.

Dark Tower books get proper thick. Thicker than your ma's knob.

For fuck sake just read it will you. You'll absolutely love it.

And lads, spoiler tags for the benefit of the uninitiated please.

But they start thin, so I can read the first one and figure out whether I like it before investing 700 pages in a series of an awkward book to read that I may or may not like. After I've used the final Dark Tower books to build back up to reading thick books I may well start on the Game of Thrones ones after that.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Mik if you do get to reading the Dark Tower books I suggest waiting until you've finished the second one before deciding if you want to follow through or not. I read the first one and didn't think it was anything too special kept reading because the board recommended it. After the second one though I was hooked.

I might start this series once I finish Huck Finn my second book for the month. Gotta finish it before the 1st of Da Month so better go through that.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first two arent that thick, so I bought them both. I think that I can commit for that long.

Alf
    Yep, the second one got me proper hooked. It's a thriller essentially. Cracking.

I've been looking at screencaps from the previews and some of the casting is ace.

The girl playing Dany is fiiiiiit...

Big picture. Look out.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Right so I just finished the first book. It's pretty darn good. I'll be picking up the next one when I think I have some free time coming up.

One thing I noticed while reading it though is that it took me about quarter of the way before I was fully able to sort out who was who and even then there would still be some times where I had to stop and think about who they were talking about.

That has nothing to do with the book itself, just thought I'd share. I might even pick up the second book tonight.

Alf
    I have it on excent authority that a new promo for the TV series should air tonight/tomorrow.

And HBO have done a deal with Sky so we'll be able to get HBO on sky very soon.

And they're just finishing shooting now, they have a rough cut of 5 eps, and all effects work needs to be done.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alf I'm about 1/4 the way through the first book and I think you want to fuck your own sister.

Alf
    Ahaha, that's some quick reading there Meeechoch.

I want you to want me to want to fuck your sister.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The second preview was FUCKING FANTASTIC.

I can't find it online yet, though.

CHIGGITY CHECK IT

It's on the HBO site:

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones...PEROss+wATFjyn
    Last edited by Judas Iscariot; November 29th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.

Alf
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixEWrTLiZg"]YouTube - Game Of Thrones - trailer[/ame]

Winter is coming you cunts.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks class. So bleak...and English.

Alf
    I don't even think that trailer captures the world enough, but a lot of people seem impressed by it. That's good, because when it eventually comes people will be blown away.

Sex, violence, rape, swearing, political intrigue, WAR.

Lovely.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot incest you fucking pervert.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait for this. Hopefully he will finish the next book this century as well.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many books are there?

Alf
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GameofTh.../2/g7-E7bc4VMc

LOLZ

This guy is quite funny, he's campaining to get on the show.

Miotchtchtch, there are 5 currently I think, and another 2 or 3 to come.

Alf
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJR3eBfcusM"]YouTube - Inside Game Of Thrones (HBO)[/ame]

Fuck yeah... it's looking good.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Apparently pushed back to April? Lame. But probably for the best.

Alf
    I know they've finished shooting so I don't think that's for production reasons. Maybe to catch sweeps? I don't know. You yanks love postponing TV for no real reason.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There are February sweeps, too, though, I think.

I know they recast one of the major characters recently, so maybe it has something to do with that.

I figured having a show premier during winter when the show takes place in a place where it's always winter made sense for starting in January.

They probably want to push it back because just as it ends the next seasons of Boardwalk Empire, Bored To Death and Eastbound and Down are going to start, but the way I figure it they should want to space these series out some more.

I just started seeing previews for some miniseries with Kate Winslet come on the HBO that's starting soon, so maybe that pushed it back?

I DEMAND ANSWERS, because I want to fucking watch this, as it looks fantastic.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which character have they recast?

I imagine HBO pushed it to line up with the season of Treme in an effort to win Sunday night from April to June.

Alf
    Who have they re-cast?

And the show is set in a long summer, winter is coming

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They recast Daenerys but that was back in May. Shooting didn't start til the end of July, so I guess April makes sense.

STILL LAME.

Alf
    The new danny is ridiculously fit though.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original really didn't look right at all anyway. The new one is a better fit.

I'm so glad they're pretending she's 16 in the show, though. The whole plot gets a little hard to put on tv if she's 13. 16 is bad, but 13 is just...yeah.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alf you cunt I wanted to let you know that I just put the other 3 books on my ipad you cunt.

Alf
    Ahaha, victory! I've got my hooks in you.

Just another victim.

Alf
    Who is your favourite character thus far Miotch?

You have some awesome stuff to come.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put them on there in more of a 'in case I read everything on there and watch everything on there and am somehow stuck out in the wilderness with no civilization within 300 miles of me' sort of thing.

Favorite character? Hmm. Jon Snow is pretty fucking great. Ned is the fucking man too, though he does have trouble seeing the 'big picture'.

Alf
    Mate, just admit that you love it and you are into it and you want to know what happens.

Just admit that much to me.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty good story, and it's well written. While it's not even close to a genre I usually would read, I'm enjoying it.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you gone to see 128 hours yet you cunt?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    This is being listed as one of the new shows on SKY Atlantic (channel starts 24th January)

Cool.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miotch View Post
    Have you gone to see 128 hours yet you cunt?
    You think that he needed an extra hour or something?

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Director's cut. Get with it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.tv.com/game-of-thrones-gets-a-premiere-date/story/24874.html
    ... Winter is coming. April 17, 2011. Game of Thrones. HBO. Be there.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Right so I just finished the 3rd book, Storm of Swords, and I don't know if I want to start the next one yet. I have it on my kindle, but I'm worried about how it's written.

I'm thinking of waiting until closer to the release of the next book and maybe reading it in June. Should I wait or should I just go ahead and read it?

Alf
    Go ahead and read it.

It definitely feels like a two parter but there's good stuff in there.

How did you feel about:

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Fuck me.

Also a full 2 minute trailer for Game of Thrones

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIyCUHrESk"]YouTube - Game Of Thrones "Iron Throne" Trailer (HBO)[/ame]

Vanquisher of Jesus Sucks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this all looks a bit silly to be honest

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate Alf and Pablo for talking about stuff that I haven't gotten to yet under spoiler tags. Jerks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spoiler just says that Alf's mum loves it in the shitter.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's hardly a spoiler

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkle van Tinkle View Post
    this all looks a bit silly to be honest

Yeah mate, Sean Bean is in it to be honest. Thats all you need to know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he now stopped doing protest marches to the Houses of Parliament to save Sheffield Uniteds Premiership status. What an egotistical prat.

Hopefully he'll sack this show off and get back to making more crackers like Outlaw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrogant wanker, who failed.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's happy to show support for the things he believes in. You should appreciate that.

Alf
    He's a nihilist, Mik, he doesn't believe in anything.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuncha? He is a horrible son of a bitch.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Just saw the HBO trailer. Fuck yes, I'm in.

This Saturday before the Final Four, I'm headed to the bookstore.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Just so you know, don't expect to run through them all quickly. They're some long ass books. But lovely books.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All a bit too dungeons and dragons for my liking.

Alf
    http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?...&autoplay=true

The opening 12 minutes... looking good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opening 12 minutes made me that much more impatient for the series to come out. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those shows where you almost want to wait until the entire seasons done so you can sit and watch it in one setting because you'll be too annoyed waiting week to week. It just looks fantastic.

The Wall looks great, the first delivery of Winter is Coming was picture perfect, and the entire scene of the beheading was spot on. I liked the added scene of the Starks as well, does a good job and quickly giving you a bit of a feel for the various characters.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The opening 12 minutes made me that much more impatient for the series to come out.
    Precisely the reason I'm not watching the sneak peak, as much as it kills me.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 2 week wait. Not a big deal. Worth watching the preview.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not watching the preview because I want to go into this cold. I dont know anything about it. Except one very horrible thing that I wish I didnt know.

Alf
    The preview was ace. The wall looks superb. It looks even better than I imagined myself.

I am a bit worried how this will work with the kids growing and that. The Walt problem is going to be massive for Arya and Bran.

Alf
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofPjpBVvEA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Making Game Of Thrones (HBO)[/ame]

25 minute making of... it gives a nice little background but if you are new to the series then I'd be more interested to see what you pick up from the show itself rather than what HBO put out to prep you.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw the opening 15 minutes on their site, and fuck man. This show is going to be some serious quality.

Alf
    It's tonight in yankyville isn't it?

Exciting!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I'll be watching this.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So excited for this.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Alf
    It's very heavy handed with the exposition... but that's to be expected I suppose.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They've got a LOOTTTT of people to introduce and it's gonna be hard for viewers know who the hell is who and what's going on through the first few episodes, so once that's out of the way I expect it to pick up quite a bit.

That said, I thought last night was brilliant.

That broad playing Daenerys is SMOKING.

Alf
    I was really surprised how much info they fit in. I think it'll be one of those typical HBO things where they drip feed you bits of info (well, like they do in the book) and a second watch of the series makes it all more cohesive.

Yeah, Dany is bloody lovely. I'd love to bend her over and Dothraki her. It'll be good to see that whole situation pan out.

It's interesting how I've been pronouncing names completely wrong in my head when reading the series.

Tyrion is a legend. I can't wait to see him develop.

Last edited by Alf; April 18th, 2011 at 9:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Red Wedding visualized is going to either absolutely be fucking amazing or utter shit...there is just going to be no inbetween for it. None at all.

I thought it was exceptionally well done. I very much liked the opening and the attempt to give it a "board game" type feel (at least that's what the little machine animation made me think). I hope each episode it changes a bit, with the locations that are prominent in that episode being built up.

I do hope that new viewers are able to keep up and keep with it. The ending thankfully will hopefully have people tuning in next week even if they were kind of iffy. I remember on my first read I was bored, confused, and uninterested in the book till page 100. I realized later that it was because you're thrust into this immersive, vast, knowledge filled world with dozens of characters and little reason right off to care about them because the author doesn't spoon feed you enough yet to get the full scope (and with that scope being so big, you just CAN'T). Right around page 100 though it hooked me. I believe it took me two weeks of reading on and off in my reading stall (See: crapper) to get through those first few pages. I believe I finished the rest of the book in 3 days as I carried it with me constantly trying to read in every free moment I had. And on my second reading of the book, the first 100 pages meant SO much more and I picked up on so many more things because suddenly, this time, I HAD the scope of it already.

I imagine the TV series is going to be much like that. I think it'll take people till the 2nd or 3rd episode to finally settle in and enjoy it unfolding rather than attempting to watch and understand. I figure the pace should improve a bit 3 or 4 episodes in as well when less flavor needs to be inserted to give people the scope and lore of the world and the story can become more of a focus.

Overall though, I loved it. My only slight complaint was not having the "yes" from Dany at the end of the No's like in the book (always read to me as her not necessarily wanting it, but realizing that this giant man IS capable of being gentle...if demanding...and is not the scary monster she thought), as I imagine that could help quiet some of the new viewers who may be extremely bothered by the wedding night scene. But really though, its a nitpick only because I've seen some people turned off the show by that. It really was great.

I can't think of a single actor or character that came off poorly here, from Eddard down to someone like Benjen, they were all done exceptionally well. Viserys was I think the person that may've stole the show for me in the first episode....the actor playing him just exuded that creepy, delusional aura perfectly with just the hints of the psychotic nature that lies beneath when he calmly and almost lovingly delivers the "all his men and horses" line.

Which, lines...that was the other thing that made me happy. I saw it in the preview already but I was extremely happy that they had the conversation about why EDDARD needed to do the execution. I did miss not having the "brave/scared" conversation. And the comment about deaths at a dothraki wedding is one of my favorite in the first book so I was happy to see that in as well.

The new scenes were good, particularly both involving Jamie Lannister (with Tyrion at the brothel and Eddard at the banquet).

Next Sunday can't come fast enough.