User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Media

Simon
    McLaren was the pundit if that's who you mean?

Andy
    Nah the commentator. Unless it was McClaren commentating? If it was then I've made myself look a bit of a silly twat.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again.

Andy
    Shut it tubby.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love you mate.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Excellent couple of Football Weekly podcasts last week. Good range of discussion with people who have plenty of knowledge to cover it.

Simon
    The Ramble was excellent for once this week, I've been a bit bored of it for ages but the reverence and obvious love for Zidane in the extended profile was fantastic. The profile must have been half an hour or so?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah I thought that Ramble was great. I think both the ramble and football weekly benefit when they aren't so focussed on manchester, chelsea and arsenal.

Football weekly has been on real top form for a few weeks too.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Crikey, football weekly have managed to find someone else to bore us with by bleating on about how boring they find football.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    My phone really didn't want me to post that so I hope you all appreciate my input. I must have had about five cracks at it.

Simon
    Was that the Irish guy, Evan something? Seemed alright to me.

Does anyone listen to TheGame? I really enjoy Gab Marcotti but fucking hell the other guests are ALL cunts. Paddy Barclay is the closest to listenable and that's saying something. Stewart Robson is a dinosaur who has no intelligent or relevant opinions on the modern game, Tony O'Cascarin can only understand and discuss issues by comparing them to his own career no matter how tangential, and Alison Rudd is just a fuckwit.

It annoys me that women are represented on the two biggest football podcasts in the UK by Rudd and Amy Lawrence, both of whom come across as whiny halfwits most of the time. Surely there are better correspondents than these, it doesn't exactly help fight against the Keys/Gray brigade. Might have the name wrong but the Brazilian woman Marcela Aurajo who occasionally pops up on FW is at least engaging and knowledgable.

EDIT: Marcela Mora y Araujo.

TFR has had a bit of a resurgence recently, although Pete increasingly needs to fuck off - he seems to be gradually trying to turn it into a wacky 'sideways look at the week's football' show to cover up the fact that he only has a basic knowledge of football. His introductions every week genuinely make me cringe.
    Last edited by Simon; February 1st, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole time I've listened to the Football Ramble, starting since whenever I started posting about it in here, I have hated that Geordie twat. He is not funny, he has nothing useful to say about football. He's just their dickhead mate who happens to be there. It's really jarring when he makes some crap joke and there's an uncomfortable fake chuckle to acknowledge it, or when he tries to make some serious point about football that makes no sense and then everyone has to just move on quickly.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    I think they only reason they keep him around is because he's a producer and he edits it all and uploads it. Basically like the fucking wanker mate you had when you were younger, but you pretended to like him because his mum had big tits and he got a Playstation the week it came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes a lot of sense, I was actually thinking something like they had to record it in his kitchen or something. The 3 others probably slag him off when he's not around.

Simon
    If you want another reason to hate him, he's the continuity announcer for ITV2, introducing such classics as Celebrity Juice, Take Me Out: The Gossip and Britain's Fattest Cunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Simon only knows that because his mum has been on all of them

Simon

Simon
    Don't know if anyone listened to the excellent Sir Alex Ferguson interview on 5 Live I mentioned a couple of days ago, but there was a Mario Balotelli special this week as well. Also available on the iPlayer and really interesting, with plenty of interviews with relevant people in his life, including his old coaches, his sister, his agent etc. Well worth a listen if you're interesting in the kid.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I've said in here before that 5live has some excellent regular daily offerings. Always reliable if I'm after something to listen to.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Funniest Ramble in a while this week I thought. Comparing Mark Hughes to Larry David had me in stitches.

Simon
    There's an interesting documentary on sexism in football on the iPlayer at the moment if anyone's interested.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shall be issuing a fatwah on the next radio or TV pundit that tells me that Steve Kean has done a great job, behaved with dignity and if only those nasty fans supported him we'd be Champions League contenders.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I've really enjoyed 606 this season. As a general rule if Man Utd aren't playing then it's excellent because you get such a great mix of discussion points with reasonable fans, without being saturated by certain teams like a lot of podcasts/shows can be. Mark Chapman tows a great line between slick presenter and enthusiastic fan with a real grasp on issues close to certain clubs.

Really enjoyed FW extra last week with Jonathan Wilson and Michael Cox, I thought it was really interesting. Jonathan Wilson's depth of knowledge is incredible. It highlighted Barry Glendenning's obsolescence to that podcast imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree, Richardson and Glendenning lighten the podcast up. It'd be boring listening to Wilson and Cox only. Both of them need a little help bringing some charisma to proceedings. The tactics talk and football history stuff is obviously interesting but a bit po-faced. Having the others there to gently take the piss out of them is necessary.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlebsfall View Post
    I think they only reason they keep him around is because he's a producer and he edits it all and uploads it. Basically like the fucking wanker mate you had when you were younger, but you pretended to like him because his mum had big tits and he got a Playstation the week it came out.
    That is exactly what it smacks of. I think he worked on XFM or something for a while and I've noticed him doing voiceovers on ITV2 and some random music channels.

They had a guy before him who was much better in terms of football knowledge, but he was a fuckin nerd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Glendenning is a brilliant man. I love him talking about Mrs Glendenning.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    I disagree, Richardson and Glendenning lighten the podcast up. It'd be boring listening to Wilson and Cox only. Both of them need a little help bringing some charisma to proceedings. The tactics talk and football history stuff is obviously interesting but a bit po-faced. Having the others there to gently take the piss out of them is necessary.
    I agree there's a need for a lighthearted figure and Glendenning does that through being the everyman figure but it's a role I find much more entertaining being done by Sean Ingle particularly, and others. Or alternatively the likes of Fernando Duarte just being strange. Wilson is consistently excellent but can become a bit much and Michael Cox is a straight down the line monotoned kind of guy.

I just find Glendenning to not have much to offer on any subjects other than picking out popular opinion or journo consensus and then disagreeing with it. Even when they would ask him about Steve Bruce he wouldn't have anything to say about it other than 'he might get sacked this week'. When Jonathan Wilson came in, who can't get to watch many Sunderland games, he spoke quite in-depth about what Bruce did right and wrong and where it all fell apart for him.

Simon
    Glendenning is the light relief. I don't see the problem with him interjecting with stories about being beaten up by Arsenal fans on Paddy's Day for admonishing them for having a g at Muamba.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Glendenning, light relief. Forum's gone soft.

Simon
    Football Weekly and Football Ramble will both be having podcasts every day or so during Euro 2012, and Baddiel and Skinner are doing their podcasts daily again boner.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought Alan Shearer was a cunt but this article has to be the fucking worst yet: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18619259

Of course we are streets behind the top nations, everyone knows that you fucking bald cunt. was the 4-1 drubbing by Germany two years ago not a clue? This article has no analysis, no plan for moving forward and nothing of interest except for the sensationalist headline.

I really hate how the BBC publish an article by one of its 'experts' and call it news. The Sports editor of the BBC website should be forced to eat his/her own testicles or ovaries.

Cunt.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Shearer, Dixon, Collymore, they're all coming out with their soundbites and how nothing will change, but everything is changing and the youth review has been going on for years with numerous public discussion seminars with every single local FA. The reserve leagues at senior football, the way youngsters are ferried between clubs when they reach 16ish, the number of players and sizes of the pitch and removing league tables below U12ish, the opening of St. George's Park, amongst other things. Our current U-16 team are technically excellent and have seen off the French and Spanish recently away from home, all developed under the current system. Two of them are already involved with the Palace and Derby first teams.

A lot gets made of the number of qualified coaches we have too, while it is quite low, the stats are skewered because when the UEFA badges were introduced all the other countries gave Grandfather rights to anyone with an old qualification whereas we made everyone retake the course. We'll win the World Cup in 6 years time, Becks as manager.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genuinely though England will be fine. There are players there that can play an effective style at international level but it's about managing them properly and picking the squads to pick a style and tactic rather than trying to lay one on top of whoever the best players are.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Still won't win anything cause they are a bunch of bottling cunts.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    We won the U17 euros 2 years ago. They've got the spirit of lions.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    Still won't win anything cause they are a bunch of bottling cunts.
    Yeah but my point is so what? With a good team you've probably got 2-3 attempts at winning something and theres always going to be other good teams. So either be happy to be a qf/semi team or try and play entertaining football nobody has a good given right to win anything

Andy
    I really am sick of the BBC punditry team. I've found myself just listening to the radio pre and post-game now and even that's being generous to the commentators. The main ones aren't too bad but who on earth thought Lawrenson, Keown and Bright would be good co-commentators?

Shearer and Hansen are the worst though. For the money Hansen is paid, he doesn't even do any research, let alone provide any insightful commentary. He tipped three teams from the same group to get to these semi finals, is constantly forgetting names and getting stats wrong. You can predict exactly what Hansen is going to say in his commentary every time. Just use the phrases "consummate ease", "it's like, so easy you wouldn't believe", "that's just like the worst defending you'll ever see" and add in the relevant teams/players. Shearer is just very thick and does not offer anything.

ITV are similarly shit. Townsend is a prick, Craig Burley is just horrendous. Southgate is very boring. Keane and Strachan are ok I guess. And we all know what a monumental bellend Adrian Chiles is.

The only regular pundits away from Sky that are any good at all are Dixon and, erm, I'm out. Even the guys who aren't on as regularly, like Colin Murrary, Savage and David James are all annoying, clueless or just stupid.

It's interesting that whenever these games are on, Lineker, Hansen, Shearer and especially Chiles trend worldwide on Twitter with people slating them. Surely the bosses will take notice of that eventually. They could actually save themselves a hell of a lot of money, getting rid of all these bastards, bringing some nondescript presenter in and a few pundits who actually care about doing the prep and giving some interesting insight.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

He tipped three teams from the same group to get to these semi finals
    No he didn't.

Andy
    He did, until Twitter went mad, they deleted the article, then re-posted an edited version which claimed he meant they were his four favourites rather than his predictions or something.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The picture which you posted on Twitter was more of an 'I think 2 of these 3 will make it into the semis' because he couldn't nail down who he thought would qualify from the group. Pretty poor for a prediction but he wasn't saying it as though the 3 teams would qualify.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hanson saying that Liverpool was Roy Hodgsons first job at a big club was a bit of an oversight.

Andy
    Just a plain lack of knowledge/preparation for his work.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The picture which you posted on Twitter was more of an 'I think 2 of these 3 will make it into the semis' because he couldn't nail down who he thought would qualify from the group. Pretty poor for a prediction but he wasn't saying it as though the 3 teams would qualify.
    Yep. It was poorly written but the backlash from it was disingenuous, it was obvious what he meant.

Simon
    I've always been a bit bemused by the complaints at the BBC/ITV coverage in the past as I tend to be in the pub and don't hear it. I always though it couldn't be that bad, or be that big a deal even if it was bad, but having started to watch more games at home: fuck me, it's DREADFUL. At full time yesterday Hansen complained and said it was so bad they should go straight to penalties, fucking cunt. I honestly don't understand why this is tolerated by the executives - how about having people on who are actually willing to show a passion for the game? Keown and Mowbray both complained that an offside call was incorrect, then both stood by their call even though the player was CLEARLY MILES OFFSIDE. Similarly, they both missed the referee's whistle for a free kick before Nani turned away and into space, then reacted to his second whistle when Nani was away and went off on one about how "he CAN'T have pulled that back for a free kick, can he?".

The sheer number of terrible calls that are made on top of the self-satisfied, arrogant approach to punditry from Hansen and Lawrenson in particular, and the dull punditry-by-numbers of Shearer and Dixon...it's just remarkable that the BBC see them as fit for broadcast. I don't have a massive problem with the main commentators as a general rule, but then it's not a tough job - say what's happening, don't get too many names wrong and don't be irritating. The punditry is a trickier job in that you need to show insight and provide a less 'formal' view of the game, but that doesn't equate to Lawrenson making inane in-jokes and then laughing off-mic for 10 seconds.

It's an embarrassment, to be honest. ITV isn't as culpable, but they are still dreadful in comparison to Sky.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday - do other countries have similar complaints about their pundits? Is it something that is actually an incredibly difficult skill that Sky happen to be superb at, with everyone hating their national punditry across Europe/the world, or is this unique to the shit-cunts that are employed by BBC and ITV? I know Eamon Dunphy is known for being divisive, but the rest of the RTE lads don't get a bad rap do they? I'm going to ask a few correspondents on Twitter like Sid Lowe, James Appell and Paolo Bandini to see what it's like in their respective countries.
    Last edited by Simon; June 28th, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday - do other countries have similar complaints about their pundits? Is it something that is actually an incredibly difficult skill that Sky happen to be superb at, with everyone hating their national punditry across Europe/the world, or is this unique to the shit-cunts that are employed by BBC and ITV? I know Eamon Dunphy is known for being divisive, but the rest of the RTE lads don't get a bad rap do they? I'm going to ask a few correspondents on Twitter like Sid Lowe, James Appell and Paolo Bandini to see what it's like in their respective countries.
    We have one good commentator here and he is English. The others are just awful. Mark Bosnich is sometimes ok but he laughs too much and shows horrible bias, Andy Harper is a moron who makes up idiotic terms to describe things ("up like a spawning salmon" for someone jumping and heading a ball...) and Robbie Slater is thick as shit and you actually lose IQ points if you sit through and listen to his mindless drivel.

It's the same for most sports though, isn't it? I think the yanks do things a lot better with sport commentary in general, both NBA and NFL lot are far more knowledgable than their football counterparts.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The cricket lot are pretty good here. If someone plays a foolish shot the commentators and pundits will remember on the spot when that player did the same foolish thing in a previous game. So they're knowledgable of the modern game as well as giving the technical insight from their own playing days.

my Ole Solskjaer, you make me happy when skies are grey. And Alan Shearer was fucking dearer so please don't take my Solskjaer away
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cricket lot are pretty good here. If someone plays a foolish shot the commentators and pundits will remember on the spot when that player did the same foolish thing in a previous game. So they're knowledgable of the modern game as well as giving the technical insight from their own playing days.
    Aye. F1 has a solid team now for both BBC and Sky as well for similar reasons.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    The cricket commentary here used to be similar... but now it is awful shit like Mark Taylor awkardly sprouting something like this... "Australia are really slaughtering Bangladesh here, 200 up inside 20 overs. Speaking of slaughter, you should watch Underbelly on Channel 9 on sunday night, a gripping tale about the seedy underworld and bloody slaughter that gripped Melbourne. Really looking forward to it. How about you Heals?"

Fucking worst attempts at a segue in the history of anything.

Simon
    I met James or Jim from the Football Ramble the other day and got him to support my campaign to be unbanned from their forums

Simon
    Anyone been listening to Football Weekly while James Richardson is away? Someone needs to tell Max Rushden that making jokes about how you go on about your minor celebrity mates all the time doesn't make it any less annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Yeah, he is an absolute bellend. In the last one someone asked him was he was referring to John Terry as JT.

Andy
    I caught the last 20 minutes of Fighting Talk this morning and it was fucking hilarious. It's a shame it's presented by that horrendous wanker Colin Murray because it can be really great at times.

Simon
    Has anyone listened to the Sky Sports football podcast? Any craic?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Do you mean the footballers football show? I watch it from time to time. It's quite hit and miss. They had one on deadline day with an agent, Brian Mcdermott and the Posh chairman which was very interesting. About a fortnight later they had a collection of suits from the home nations FA's and it was a snoozefest.

I think it was last week they had Jason Brown the ex-Blackburn keeper sneering at anything anyone said about racism in football which made Shebby Singh visibly uncomfortable.

Simon
    Na it's a new (?) podcast just called the Sky Sports football podcast AFAIK. Not the Sunday Supplement one either.

EDIT: http://www.skysports.com/podcast/0,20494,27410,00.html

Simon
    That Michael bloke on yesterday's Football Weekly was fucking annoying, eh.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That podcast needs more Fernando Duarte.

Simon
    I love him. JESUS CHRIST.

I realised the other day that I can't stand Jacob Steinberg, but I have no idea why. Maybe cos he's a jew.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I find it quite hard to listen to sometimes. It feels like a few of them just want to challenge popular opinion for the sake of it & moan about how boring football is, which is annoying enough from Glendenning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it very enjoyable. The Football Ramble has been good recently as well, they tend to keep the Geordie one marginalised, apart from the opening question and when his game bit comes up. Hopefully he'll leave soon.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone been watching the Footballers' football show on Sky?

Its hilarious. Football managers and agents pretending they are some kind of intellectuals on Question time or something.

In the latest episode, Holloway had a little rant about agents and then him, Reid and Boothroyd spent a while saying how football should be played the right way and then by the end of the show were comparning Beckham/Xavi's passing to Shawcross humping it from the back - "whats the difference?!"

Indeed.

Simon
    I've given up on The Game now - when that Yank loudmouth Marcotti and that Scouse loudmouth Tony Evans are the most reasonable people on the panel, you have a problem. Barclay, Cascarino, Alison Rudd and the rest are uniformly incapable of rational comment without delving into their various biases, it's infuriating. I have replaced it with the Monday Night Club podcast from 5 live, which is really, really good. It's very long at 90 minutes, but mixes the topical stuff with high profile interviews and the like, so if you're still listening to it on Wednesday or Thursday (it comes out on Monday and goes over the weekend's action) it doesn't tend to feel out of date. Claridge is a much more interesting and informative pundit than I would have expected, Motson is MILES better than he is when commentating and the various guests are usually great. Massively recommended.

Football Weekly and the Ramble are as good as ever. For some reason that I can't put my finger on, Jacob Steinberg really annoys me, but the rest are good - particularly Glendenning, Sid Lowe, the lovely Fernando Duarte and especially Raphael Honigstein. That Simon Burnton is alright as well, but needs to calm the fuck down.

Oh also, I'm reading Vertigo by John Crace at the moment, which is great.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs . . . then you're probably not a football fan. Years of underachievement. An heroic sense of injustice. A seemingly infinite capacity for self-destruction. John Crace and Spurs were made for each other. But then the team started to play like possible champions. For most fans, these are the glory moments they dream about. For Crace they just opened a new dimension of anxiety: the fear of success. Crace has supported Spurs for 40 years. His wife thinks he suffers from a psychiatric disorder, but fandom is not only one of the ways he negotiates his relationships, it also helps him make some sense of his life. Vertigo is the story of why fandom that starts out in boyish hope always ends in dark comedy.
    I'm not sure how much enjoyment you would get out of it if you're not a Spurs fan, but the overriding theme is relevant to all football fans I think.

Simon
    Picked up a couple of books for my holidays, anyone read these?

Got a few more lined up to buy as well...

Anyone got any recommendations? Oh also I'm re-reading this at the moment, it's massively nerdy but we're all nerds so I can't recommend it highly enough. Very interesting indeed.

I think it has now been updated and retitled 'Soccernomics'. Great book.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Why England Lose is a cracking book, definitely worth reading

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why England lose is fantastic. I recently rescued it from my parents house to take on holiday and read again.

Simon
    Their World Cup 2010 prediction for England based on previous data is hilariously prescient. It was an 8 point plan and the entire thing was basically exactly right.

Simon
    First Football Ramble of the season is out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Football Ramble of the season is out.
    Nice; I've been struggling for stuff to listen to this summer. Aside from the Ramble, Football Weekly and Monday Night Club I can't really stand any of the other podcasts!

AWOL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I just gave The Times one a go but wasn't impressed.

I've got a couple of Scottish football ones too on top of those Shelton mentioned.

Simon
    Sunday Supplement is good.

Simon
    And 5 Live's Friday night preview of the weekend's action is good too.

Simon
    Football Weekly is back now too

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got annoyed with the ramble, they laugh too much at their own shitty jokes.

Football Weekly is the best and The Game is not bad either.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    They've always done that and I think it's part of the charm when the joke is quite funny. It's when they all awkwardly laugh at something Pete says that it's quite cringeworthy.

Simon
    The first one of the season was a bit in-joke heavy, hopefully just a bit of over-excitement at being back in the studio coupled with not having much to talk about yet. No DWHOF any more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up a couple of books for my holidays, anyone read these?

Got a few more lined up to buy as well...

Anyone got any recommendations? Oh also I'm re-reading this at the moment, it's massively nerdy but we're all nerds so I can't recommend it highly enough. Very interesting indeed.

I think it has now been updated and retitled 'Soccernomics'. Great book.
    I enjoyed this a few years ago;

Simon
    I'm still reading Inverting The Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. Plenty of interesting stuff in it, but fuck me is it a slog. A very dry, academic book. Wilson pretty much credits Herbert Chapman (along with a couple of others who followed him) with inventing modern football.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyable but dry.

That sums up Sunday Supplement for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon Simon Simon.

I made it onto mediawatch today!

Simon
    Is that your name down the bottom? Did you do all the compiling or what, how does it work? Nice one anyway

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah nice one Turd. I love Mediawatch and I have the same questions as Si.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I just sent one thing in.

I assume it's just a team of people trawling through stories and probably keeping tabs on stuff, quite how they do it I don't know. Like today for example there's two paragraphs from the same journalist 4 months apart that basically conflict each other. How do they keep a record of the former?

Simon
    I always assumed they keep a database, perhaps called the Snideness Index. I like Mediwatch for the most part but they can be incredibly petty at times weird how the thing down the bottom sort of implies the whole thing was your doing. If I were you I would go with that reading.

Andy
    Mediawatch became a parody of itself a year or so ago. Calling journalists/papers out for typos and making a huge deal about it, completely missing the irony of it. Dunno if it's still like that.

Simon
    I am reading The Beautiful Game (Searching For The Soul Of Football) by Guardian finance writer David Conn at the moment. It's an in-depth look at how money has taken over the game, starting at the non-profit outset of the FA but quickly moving to the modern day and mainly focusing on everything from the preceding years to the advent of the Premier League onwards. It's as dry as you'd expect from that description but very interesting. Also absolutely tears into Arsenal and specifically, particularly and I have to say surprisingly, David Dein. I've never heard anything bad about him and thought he was seen as a good egg in football circles but Conn paints him as a charlatan in it only for the money, who has gotten away with it because, through nothing but luck, his tenure coincided with Wenger turning the club around. There's a lengthy chapter on Hillsborough too, which is out of sync with the emphasis on money (the two are only tangentially related). I don't entirely agree with some of his points - it would be NICE if the PL clubs allowed more money to trickle down the league, but it's difficult to argue objectively that they should feel obliged to IMO, if it is their club bringing in the big money - but it's very well-written and, unusually for such a dry, academic book, I'm flying through it because it's so interesting. I'm enjoying it so much I've already picked up Richer Than God, another one by Conn about the rise of Manchester City (the club he supports) to the elite through financial doping.

The Beautiful Game (Searching For The Soul Of Football

Richer Than God: Manchester City, Modern Football and Growing Up

Simon
    Also can this topic please have its name changed to The Media, the current title makes me feel ill.

Simon
    Fantastic radio documentary from 5 Live on Cantona's kung-fu kick, well worth catching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ykn5t
    Last edited by Simon; January 27th, 2015 at 2:47 PM.

Andy
    Been catching up on the weekend 5Live Football Daily podcasts and a couple of things really stood out.

Tim Sherwood's interview with the BBC reporter was hilarious.

TS: It was a nothing game, I wouldn't say we were better but neither team deserved to win.
    Reporter: Two shots on target for Villa, Tim.
    TS: Yeah, what did Stoke have? 2? 3?
    Reporter: 6.
    TS: Oh.

And the second thing was the Monday Night Club. It's usually quite enjoyable but it was pretty shambolic this week. Robbie Savage is infuriatingly stupid. It's annoying enough when he just tries to promote a reaction but saying silly things or constantly talks over people but he was outright thick throughout most of the show. His analysis on Di Maria was laughable, going on and on about how he didn't take anyone on on the wing, then it's pointed out he was playing through the middle, then it's pointed out Savage said through the middle is his best position on MOTD, then he tries to argue he should go and take people on on the wing even if he's playing in the middle, then he says ok he should be taking people on through the middle, even if it's not his role, even if he's been told not to. Bang your head against the wall stupid. Then you had John Motson, who is usually good value on the MNC, talking so much bollocks it was unreal. It was left to Steve Claridge (!) to hold it all together.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I geniunely do not know how Robbie Savage still has a job with the tripe he spouts.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robbie Savage is the most annoying man in the world, I can't watch/read/listen to anything he is heavily involved with. The worst thing is when the BBC quotes his asinine opinions as headlines.

AWOL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBC have previous for employing that sort of pundit - Ian Wright springs to mind but at least he never pretended to offer any sort of insight or analysis.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.football365.com/mediawatc...e-Wedding-Cake

I got a thing on Mediawatch.

The Michael Carrick thing, utterly ridiculous.

Simon
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...mund-live.html

The Telegraph got a bloke who can't speak German to cover Jurgen Klopp's press conference. Incredible.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turdpower View Post
    http://www.football365.com/mediawatc...e-Wedding-Cake

I got a thing on Mediawatch.

The Michael Carrick thing, utterly ridiculous.
    I once got on Mediawatch too. It made my day. Can't even remember what it was.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon, we read the same books. Good lad.

You got into The Blizzard yet like a proper football hipster?

Simon
    Na I downloaded the free first copy but nothing since, probably should do.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've not lived until you've read some obscure articles about Russian, Iranian or Argentinian football.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...mund-live.html

The Telegraph got a bloke who can't speak German to cover Jurgen Klopp's press conference. Incredible.
    Gahahaha I saw this. Kind of thing I would expect from the Daily Star ffs.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suggest the "Guardian Football meets..." series of interviews as well. Some good stuff in there. Le Tiss, The Goat and other classic footballers.

Simon
    The Guardian had a lengthy article about all that bad racism they have on the Twitters now. They led with these photos.