User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mad Men

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad Men

Alright, probably not the best time to get this puppy rolling as the season 2 finale is actually airing on Sunday, but I'm a bit disappointed that we don't have a thread to discuss one of the best shows in recent memory.

For those of you in America, the previous episodes are available on AMC On Demand. I'm sure virmicious or someone could provide links to the entire first season so people could jump in from the very beginning, and I have those DVDs that I could probably upload myself if no one else has, but what are the odds of that, really?

I know that most of you have heard of this show by now, but many of you probably haven't watched it, so I'll take a crack at a brief series outline:

The series is set in early 1960's New York, and revolves around the lives of the employees of the Sterling - Cooper advertising agency and their families, and theirs is a completely different world than we live in today. Political correctness has not yet been born, racial tensions in this country are still extremely high, hard drinking and basically degrading women on the job are commonplace, and this was very much a man's world. The series was created and developed by Matthew Weiner, and to fill most of the more important technical and writing positions, he looked no further than his old cronies from "The Sopranos", and as a result, there are many similarities with the cinematography and the effective usage of music to it. Current events of the day are tied directly into the storylines effectively, and they create prominent ad campaigns from that era in entertaining and elaborate detail.

Your main character is Don Draper, who I can't really say too much about without busting out some fairly major spoilers. Jon Hamm's portrayal of Draper at times reminds me a lot of Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman, and I'm certain that's where he picked up some of the mannerisms and body language. Furthermore, there are some actual similarities between the two characters, but Don Draper being a mass murderer is not one of them...it's basic cable, gang.

The rest of the ensemble cast is fairly fantastic (some of the others get more ink, but January Jones in particular has actually shocked me, as she's emerged as a much better actress than I'd expected, and Betty Draper isn't a character that just any pretty face could play), and for the most part they've all been pretty elaboratly developed over the course of the first two seasons - those who haven't might never need to be, but you've even got a bit of information on them.

I strongly encourage you guys to try and check this show out. It's arguably the best show currently airing on American television, and now that "The Wire" is done, it's probably at the very least worthy of that show's old "The Show You Should Be Watching...But Aren't" label.

Discuss.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    ...it's basic cable, gang.
    There was a rape scene in the last episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are rape scenes all over television, mon frere, normally every bit as implied as that one. That's a little bit easier to pull off than Bateman-esque homicidal sprees.

Furthermore, that "rape scene" was pretty important in more than a few ways.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said the scene was grotuitous. I just said it existed.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then what's your point?

I've been wanting to get into this show, but I don't really like sitting at the computer to watch things, so I'm left waiting for OnDemand to throw them up there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I knew, AMC On Demand was running the entire series. I'll have to call someone and ask, though -- I've gone DirecTV due to my football problem.

Just because it might serve as a semi-decent, exaggerated way to get some series background in the meantime, though, Jon Hamm hosts SNL tomorrow night, and one would have to assume that there'll be a Mad Men skit.

I'd strongly recommend against doing too much online research before starting to watch this series, as from everything I've seen, you'd be exposed to some pretty major spoilers.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the plan is to jump ahead two years every season I am honestly curious to where this season ends up. I like that by doing it that way they are actually skipping past things like the Kennedy assassination which is ground that has been trampled to death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch there, Defrost. There's no real way of telling exactly how much time has passed over the course of this season, which began at some point in 1962...

Also, skipping ahead 2 years between every season isn't by any means "the plan"...

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    Last I knew, AMC On Demand was running the entire series. I'll have to call someone and ask, though -- I've gone DirecTV due to my football problem.

Just because it might serve as a semi-decent, exaggerated way to get some series background in the meantime, though, Jon Hamm hosts SNL tomorrow night, and one would have to assume that there'll be a Mad Men skit.

I'd strongly recommend against doing too much online research before starting to watch this series, as from everything I've seen, you'd be exposed to some pretty major spoilers.
    Last I checked, which was right after the Emmy's, they only had the second season playing. I'll check again tomorrow.

And I basically know everything I need to know right now, so no further research is needed, and I'm essentially ducking any and all discussion of the show in any capacity to avoid spoilage.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Didn't know a second season had started am gonnahave to find and download these from somewhere as i loved the first season.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that bad of news, Defrost.

That's also totally tabloid-esque journalism. Without Matthew Wiener, there is no "Mad Men".

Here's the real news -- don't bother clicking any of those links -- there's going to be a contract dispute, and it's going to get resolved.
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; October 29th, 2008 at 1:54 AM.

Once more unto the breach Pipkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to start watching this forever, and tonight, after getting back from a terrible Halloween party earlier than I expected to, I decided to finally check it out.

I only watched the first episode, but I'm very intrigued, and will probably start watching one episode every night.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, season three premiers this sunday, and i've finally caught up on the first two seasons thanks to ondemand marathons.

Poseidon, look at me!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been intrigued, but have been too lazy or something. I'll probably watch the season premiere on Sunday. I think I am caught up to speed on the first two, but still not all the way. I'll go look for the first two seasons to download.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest, it's not a particularly 'deep' show as far as the plot and character development goes, so reading up on the happenings can probably give you a good enough idea to be able to follow along this sunday. still, watching both seasons beforehand would be ideal.

Paul. Ringo. John. Carl. TapOut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be watching this starting next week when I can get the episodes on iTunes. I need a new show to tide me over until Lost/Breaking Bad/24 comes back.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TapOut View Post
    Will be watching this starting next week when I can get the episodes on iTunes. I need a new show to tide me over until Lost/Breaking Bad/24 comes back.
    it's a good time for television, for me. mad men startrs next week, which will keep me busy for the month that leads up the new season of dexter at the end of september. from there, dexter will keep me going until mid-december, which will only be about a month before breaking bad and lost come back.

Poseidon, look at me!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    to be honest, it's not a particularly 'deep' show as far as the plot and character development goes, so reading up on the happenings can probably give you a good enough idea to be able to follow along this sunday. still, watching both seasons beforehand would be ideal.
    I just got done downloading season 1. Will watch some tonight and into tomorrow. I'll download season 2 now and watch what I can before Sun. night.

Poseidon, look at me!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got through season 1, into season 2... I knew basically what happened due to wikipedia's episode descriptions.. so got through that. Then watched the season premiere last night.... I enjoyed it. Campbell and Cosgrove both as head of accounts and those flight attendants weren't too shabby either.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor Ochoa View Post
    I got through season 1, into season 2... I knew basically what happened due to wikipedia's episode descriptions.. so got through that. Then watched the season premiere last night.... I enjoyed it. Campbell and Cosgrove both as head of accounts and those flight attendants weren't too shabby either.
    was too tired and fell asleep before it aired last night, so i just watched it ondemand. nicely done, sets up a few major events for this upcoming season

something seemed odd about don throughout the whole episode. i liked it. concocting that story about being mob accountants isn't something i'd expect him to do, since being a big shot on madison avenue should be enough of a bragging point. i assume this ties into the struggle he has with his own identity, and this gave him a chance to indulge into fantasy.

the hotel worker and sal was a moment that was long in the making, and the way which don accidentally dropped in on it was great.

ken and pete sharing the head of accounts position will make for some great scenes, i think. the difference in attitude between them is welcome, cause i think a head to head, one-upsmanship game would feel recycled, even if the writing is good enough to make that angle seem fresh.

not a lot of betty, which i loved.

roger walking in late to the meeting and going 'oh, it's that meeting...' had me laughing. god i love roger.

one of the best moments in the show, i think, was the reveal at the very beginning that dick whitman was named after his father's penis, essentially. great stuff.

Poseidon, look at me!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I don't really care for scenes with Betty either. I don't know what it is. She's pretty, but I just don't care. Burt Peterson's tirade was funny. GO TO HELL, YA LIMEY BASTARD!!! ATTENTION EVERYONE... YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL!!!

I know there are some people who weren't thrilled seeing Don boil milk for a matter of minutes, but it showed more on his background, which is a plus.

As soon as Sal was near the bellhop, I knew something was going to happen. Don's reaction was great too.

I like how Peggy has changed from secretary to one of the more vocal characters.

I am still getting up to speed, but for the most part, I understand a lot.

Poseidon, look at me!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second episode was good. I liked it better than the premiere in some ways.

I started watching and they were showing Bye Bye Birdie on a film reel. My mom overhears and goes "Is that Bye Bye Birdie?" So there are plenty of references from the 60's that she's get. Ann Margret is fucking hot in that number though... even if her voice is a little shrieky.

That line Roger said to Peggy in the elevator about what her father could do to to make her not want him at his wedding. And I had to look up the tightrope walker to see what he was talking about. I learn a lot in this show. I didn't know that Penn Station was closed down to build MSG.

Don telling Betty's brother what he was going to do was awesome. I didn't understand the part with all the kids dancing around the maypole, but I'm assuming Don was fixated on that woman... or maybe it was someone already seen in the show and I just didn't notice.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the season finale that just aired is one of the best hours of television i've ever watched. standalone, it probably isn't special at all. but having watched three seasons unfold, it was absolutely fucking gorgeous.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don Draper is based on the life of Draper Daniels. It did not occur to me until last night that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season premier was nice... loved how the episode built perfectly into the last two or three minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only complaint about this series, quite literally ever, that I'm shocked at least one of us has never brought up before. It applies to "Breaking Bad" as well:

AMC's gotta do something about their overall audio level management. The shows tend to run quiet to the point that you've gotta turn the volume up substantially, and then WHAM-O, you've got a Ketel One commercial fucking screaming at you. With "Mad Men", I almost thought it was deliberate at first; the show IS about advertisers and all, and they've (understandably) got some extremely high ticket sponsors.

Absolutely loved this episode, would love to discuss it, but can we maybe get an "Untagged spoilers within" added onto the thread title? This thread is disturbingly small, this show is too fucking good not to gain further fans amongst this group, and anything epic from the first 3 seasons is, in fact, already tagged.

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be back to the thread when I have watched seasons 2 and 3. I thoroughly enjoyed 1, not much happened a lot of the time, but the sets, costumes and overall 'feel' of the show is pretty damn good. I liked the overall story arc in 1, and the characters are all portrayed well, and the show had a lot of fun moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TapOut View Post
    Season premier was nice... loved how the episode built perfectly into the last two or three minutes.
    And how.

Morrison, earlier in this thread, went into some detail as to how the season premiere of "Mad Men" kicks off the new generation's season of "Must See TV". Looking forward, that almost seems more true now than when he said so in the first place, and that's factoring in the lack of "Lost" and everything.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. Have watched the first 3 episodes so far in HD, they look bloody beautiful. I'm going to have to be fairly careful in this thread, however I'm wanting reassurance that the plot starts becoming more interesting. The writing is tight and the acting is very good, but its all a little superficial at the moment and a little plotless. I know that its early days, but I havent seen much progress towards character development and any kind of definitive story-arc so far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember thinking that it picked up in the 4th episode, actually, so if that's any indication. I probably wasn't completely sold 'til further into the first season, but the 4th made me stick it out and I'm glad I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably be much, much happier about the show in general about 3 episodes from where you're at now. There's quite a lot that had to be rolled out in the first 4-5 eps that ties into what happens later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcastle 'Mik' United View Post
    Right. Have watched the first 3 episodes so far in HD, they look bloody beautiful. I'm going to have to be fairly careful in this thread, however I'm wanting reassurance that the plot starts becoming more interesting. The writing is tight and the acting is very good, but its all a little superficial at the moment and a little plotless. I know that its early days, but I havent seen much progress towards character development and any kind of definitive story-arc so far.
    I thought the same thing originally, but as ROB mentions, things pick up really well and I breezed through then first three seasons without issue, things definitely become relevant once the story really gets rolling.

Loserweight Champion The Comet Kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everybody else says the story does take a while to get going but its well worth it. The way the stories play out and the charachters personal arcs develop just shows the brilliance of the writing. Stories will be left sometimes for a few episodes and then picked up and others will stretch out over a season or two.

But even in the episodes where the story's dont seem to be moving along that fast they are well worth watching just for what it is.

Without giving away anything, loved the last scene this week. The way they set everything up with Peggy and the two ways her charachter could be going and how they showed that and which way she's leaning was brilliant direction/writing and keeping the interplay with Pete included in that was class.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i've been liking this season a lot more right off the bat than the previous seasons. i especially like a lot of the photographic shots they've utilized this season, almost like a norman rockwell painting. i don't remember it being so blatant in the last three seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself sort of laughing quite a bit.... even at stuff that doesn't happen. When Peggy stood on her desk to spy on him through the glass, I later pictured Don doing the same thing to her during a scene when Peggy was in her office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No, but he's renting it!"

So many ways that they can go with Peggy's character before she becomes a fullblown bra-burning hippie freak a season or two from now. Or something else. Probably that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison
    i especially like a lot of the photographic shots they've utilized this season, almost like a norman rockwell painting. i don't remember it being so blatant in the last three seasons.
    Yeah. The new set seems to really lend itself to that; perhaps that's why it seems so much more obvious than in season's past.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I laughed hard when Peggy said that line. I've used a variation many times in the past. It's a good one.

Did I miss something, or was there any real point to the PEARS bit? Foreshadowing... something?

PS: someone on Facebook linked this earlier. It was a decent skim:
    http://www.bestweekever.tv/2010-08-1...-draper-naked/

I did like this shot, though, as they point out:

... and the GIF below it:

OH, and this (last one, I promise ):
    Last edited by Newf; August 18th, 2010 at 1:19 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    The Pears bit fitted with the theme of the episode. In that it's nobody's business. What goes on behind closed doors , whether it's between a secretary and a boss , a focus group and a psychologist , former lovers saying goodbye , broken men drinking alone at night.

It's about how we keep parts of ourselves hidden from the world , even sometimes the most tedious parts. Which is why the woman wanted to discuss it inside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, big props to how they handle Pete. I can't decide whether I love him or hate him, and that's the point, no? I was enjoying the team making him give up his father in-law's account, and the stress it put him under. Then he pulls in the whole shebang and I root for him: "Well played Pete Campbell".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See its stuff like this that makes the show as great as it is.

Really can't wait to see what the rest of the season has coming up.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    god damn, the last episode was amazing. a couple really great laugh out loud moments that i enjoyed immensely, some wonderful character work for peggy and don, and an absolutely phenomenal scene at the end there. quite possibly one of the finest scenes i've ever seen an actor commit to film. jon hamm is indescribable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it really was great, I can't believe nobody (myself included) posted about it. Best episode of the season thus far.

I also like the commercials that air during the show that are set up like an agency, good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2215143/

"Sally Draper"'s IMDb page. At this point, you've gotta think that's a name worth remembering. She's turned in one helluva performance this season.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have yet to watch last nights episode, but have seen every other episode this season, and I'm really enjoying it.

I like kosgrove coming back a couple episodes ago, and making Pete squirm. Pete is one of those people that you feel for, but are disgusted by at the same time.
    Last edited by Myles; September 20th, 2010 at 1:00 PM.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miles, you essentially are pete campbell. You're irritating, but so much so that you essentially have become somewhat sympathetic. I despise you and want to see you fail in everything that you do, yet you're a somewhat integral cog in this machine.

That's probably the nicest thing I've ever said to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND
    When you have the ability to have a beautiful women literally choking on your penis while you pull the shit out of her hair and push down on her head as hard as you want to, it helps you realize what a class fucking act you really are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man
    And obviously that's all in the societal you, not the Mitch-al (Mitchell?) you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that is the nicest thing you have ever said to me mitch.

Nice sig btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's something that came up in conversation a few nights ago that seems extremely logical. Not a spoiler but in fact a prediction (unless it happens in the 2nd half of this episode, which would seem premature) tagged just in case it does:

Seems logical to me. Maybe even a little too logical.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, they were planting the seeds for how devastating the loss of Lucky Strike would be very early in the season and I can't see them clawing it back for some reason. I'd guess its more about the company fighting for their lives now.

One thing that I thought near the end of this weeks episode was that Roger might have ended up topping himself the way things were going. Fucked up Lucky Strike, loveless marriage and Joan's cut him off, he hasn't got anything going his way at the moment and he's come across more morose as the seasons have gone on.

Campbell better not jump ship either, far too good a charachter to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Comet Kid View Post
    I dunno, they were planting the seeds for how devastating the loss of Lucky Strike would be very early in the season and I can't see them clawing it back for some reason. I'd guess its more about the company fighting for their lives now.
    And what better way for them to fight for their lives than to dangle the CEO-in-waiting's sexual baggage right in front of his face? In 1965, one would have to assume that's all of the leverage they'd need.

Again, it was just a thought. There are multiple ways this can all shake out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, a pretty good season. The episode that was Don and Peggy working late together was my favorite.

Hoping Bert just got pissed and took a vacation? His bit role I enjoy, he sometimes interjects himself at just the right moment when someone else is pissing me off.

Looking forward to next season. I didn't feel things moved as quickly as they did last season, but that's not necessarily bad, but I think the show could use a bit more consistent pacing. That's just me being picky though, overall I loved some of the plots like Don slipping a bit, Pete showing he's not just an annoying shithead, but an annoying shithead who at the end of the day does a good job and has ambition, and Betty turning into a bitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning into?

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Betty's not just a bitch, but rather has the attitude of a selfish 14yr old girl. Which makes her a bitch. She's more immature than her daughter and is the meanest character on the show and has been for a long time.

Found Season 4 more more focussed and centred than the previous 3. Wonderful stuff.

Pete's not really a shithead just a bit brash and thinks he deserves more than he got. And now he's a partner he's on a level he feels he deserves so his 'shitheadyness' is not around as much since he doesn't have that chip on his shoulder as much.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finale was meh, obviously more of a set up for next season's plotlines than a big BOOM to end things. overall, i adored this season. might be one of my favorite seasons of television ever.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so it seems roger's memoirs will actually be released as a real book next month.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ets-real-book/

i'll definitely pick it up and flip through it next time i'm in a b&n after the release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds interesting. Wonder how much it will incorporate the other characters in the show, if at all.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right...caught up.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mik, how did you like season 4 in comparison to the first three?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm...not sure. It was better in some ways as it was more interesting to see them in their own firm and to see Don as a single man. However Betty became somewhat monsterous and Bon stopped being suave and debonaire and became a little desperate and a mess really. It was funnier, a bit steamier, it was fresh, however it also seemed a bit disjointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been talk that "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men" could swap major awards when the time comes, with the former taking Outstanding Drama and Jon Hamm taking Best Actor.

It's interesting to consider, I suppose. On the one hand, Hamm did turn in his best season's work yet and "Breaking Bad" absolutely developed into an even more complete program, but on the other hand, "Mad Men" and Cranston certainly didn't slip in any way. I don't figure the switch is likely, but those who have written about the possibility do cast votes whereas I don't, so there's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I got the first three seasons on DVD for Chrimbo, despite having seen them all up to date but it was still a lovely gift. Just been watching the start of season two with Weiner's commentary, absolutely top stuff and interesting.

The box also looks fantastic, just a whiskey glass on the front with the show's logo. LAVURLY.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy chotliwala's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I watched the first four seasons in a three week span. Finished season 4 maybe 2 weeks ago so my thoughts aren't incredibly fresh, but fucking shit what a great show.

Just absolutely loved the Samsonite episode where Don just breaks down and how Peggy refuses to leave. And Roger Sterling is fantastic as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majeek Morri View Post
    so it seems roger's memoirs will actually be released as a real book next month.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ets-real-book/

i'll definitely pick it up and flip through it next time i'm in a b&n after the release.
    Exactly what I wound up doing, and it took all of 20 minutes or so, while nursing a latte, to power through the whole thing.

Entertaining for sure, but because it's such a ridiculously quick read (it's mostly just quips and one-liners) I don't reckon a whole lot of people actually bought it.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am up to the samsonite episode. I think the show is too slow

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to predict that the show ends with Dom Draper having a heart attack and dying.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The show isnt too slow, its just right.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.tv.com/news/news-briefs-mad-men-has-a-return-date-27521/
    ... Mad Men, the greatest single television show ever created, has a return date! Star Jon Hamm visited comedian Doug Benson's podcast Doug Loves Movies, ate a pot brownie*, and let loose one of the biggest secrets in the business: Mad Men returns to AMC on March 25. Due to contract disputes, Season 5 was delayed, much to the chagrin of critics everywhere. (* = blatant lie, don't sue me Mr. Hamm. But if I were hanging out with Doug Benson, that's what I'd do.)
    I still haven't made it through Season 1.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I still haven't either. Got the first 3 seasons on Blu Ray though so I can truck through it. Was hoping Amazon was going to sell the 4th season for $10 at Christmas time so I could complete the set.

EDIT: Screw it. Was 16 bucks on ebay so I just bought it.
    Last edited by virmicious; January 10th, 2012 at 8:09 PM.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this show, dont get me wrong. Hell I'm even taking a script analysis course on it this semester. But really, the greatest single television show ever created?

Dear Mr. Hyperbole, allow me to introduce you to The Wire.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see how some would think so.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont understand how someone could even say that so objectively when the story isn't even done yet. My professor and I had a discussion today about how shocking it is that people are releasing critical analysis books on Mad Men already, when we cant even sit back and reflect on the series as a whole.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. But opinion is subjective, some people don't need to see it all. I honestly think Mad Men will just finish one season. There won't be any full resolution, it will just not come back. Wouldn't make it any less brilliant of a show.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in just over 10mins Its Back.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which also means she is back

Liked the episode. It helped re-establish the tension between characters. No January, but Jessica Pare(Megan) fills the role nicely.
    The quality is still there, and next Sunday has the premier of The Killing. AMC is hitting Home runs on Sundays.
    Last edited by The Rick; March 26th, 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the double bill. So glad to have it back. Can't wait for Game of Thrones now.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last few episodes have been highly entertaining, and a bit fast paced for this show. I liked the way the last episode played out tarantino style. The branching stories had so much weight behind them when being told separately.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don isn't an aggressive guy. He's just completely out of his depth. He seems to love his new girlfriend but seems to be constantly afraid she'll leave him. He also responds poorly to strong women and really is quick to anger and doesn't like admitting his faults. Unfortunately Megan brings out certain parts of Don he doesn't particularly like. She's right in she's never sure if she's his employee or his wife. And I did love the low-blow she gave with "Why don't you call your mother?" knowing full well that his mother is a dead prostitute.

Peggy is just frustrated, Don is skipping on work and thus just getting dumped on as she's sick of cleaning up after him.

It's scary when the person who makes the most sense is Bert Cooper and Roger Sterling is shown to be a better husband than Don is.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Outlaw View Post
    Don isn't an aggressive guy. He's just completely out of his depth. He seems to love his new girlfriend but seems to be constantly afraid she'll leave him. He also responds poorly to strong women and really is quick to anger and doesn't like admitting his faults. Unfortunately Megan brings out certain parts of Don he doesn't particularly like. She's right in she's never sure if she's his employee or his wife. And I did love the low-blow she gave with "Why don't you call your mother?" knowing full well that his mother is a dead prostitute.
    Does Megan know that his mother is a dead prostitute? I must have missed something.

Peggy is just frustrated, Don is skipping on work and thus just getting dumped on as she's sick of cleaning up after him.
    To be fair though, Don has held her hand through quite a bit. It is time for her to step up to the job, and stand up for herself. I like watching her character find her own strength.

It's scary when the person who makes the most sense is Bert Cooper and Roger Sterling is shown to be a better husband than Don is.
    I'm hoping that Cooper is featured a bit more in the episodes to come. He is seeing his life's work dwindle away through the people that he empowered.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the first episode of this season Megan called Don "Dick Whitman" so it's fair to say Don's actually told her his real history and his mother dying in childbirth is a pretty big part of that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She was also aware of his "real" birthday during the birthday episode as well. I think it's pretty much implied that Don started fresh and came clean with her.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found this season of mad men so far to be possibly the most enthralling to date. Very very good first few episodes.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Yeah, I've been enjoying it as well. The fight between Lane and Pete last week was jokes.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I've found this season of mad men so far to be possibly the most enthralling to date. Very very good first few episodes.
    I like to think that Mad Men just "clicks" with people at a certain point and everything after that is fantastic. For me it was the start of season 4. I found the first 3 seasons ok with good spots but I at the start of season 4 it just clicked and I loved every moment of it.

The amount of subtext in this show is phenomenal and I think a lot of people's dislike for it is purely because they don't quite "get" it, or they're not paying enough attention to what is happening on screen. It's certainly not the kind of show you can watch and half-watch while playing with your mobile phone.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its just an impeccably made, written and acted show. This season in particular seems to be exceptionally strong. Its like the time off has given them the impetus to make every episode meaningful and symbolic. Its always such a quality show, but this season seems on a different level.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Betty is an awful person.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    Betty is an awful person.
    That is part of what makes this show so good. Everybody has shades. No one person is made out to be the lone good guy, and no one the lone bad guy. We probably all have our favorites for different reasons. Each character gets face time, and develops more depth as the show goes on. If one character looks too good one episode, they might just be headed for a comeuppance in the episodes to follow.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. I love it so much. Maybe my favorite show on air right now (or Modern Family), but Betty just came off as an awful person in the last episode and it's wonderful character development. Her regretting leaving Don is a brilliant and very realistic turn and her way of handling it, which also rings true, makes her an awful person. It's great.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good episode tonight. There was so much to digest that I caught some of the replay through sportscenter commercials.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That episode was tremendous and tragic.

This season has really been excellent.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else still watching this? That last episode was brilliant.

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching, its phenomenal television.
    Love the tone, mood and fleshed out multi-dimensional characters.

GREAT episode last week.
    Enjoyed seeing the old DD back in action!

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is anyone else still watching this? That last episode was brilliant.
    Oh I thoroughly liked the episode. I can't wait for the finale. I am almost on edge on how they will leave this season. What lose ends will they tie up, and what will they leave us with? With this show I do not have a character that I hate. There are some aspects of characters I don't like, but the actors are bringing that character over in a way that is supposed to evoke that emotion from me. There are so very few shows that do this for me. There is not one actor that I do not like in some way or another in this show.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, since watching the last episodes have felt

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Yeah, I've really enjoyed this series, it's gone very dark. I'm always about a week behind, which is why I've been avoiding this thread.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mad Men Season 6 to Return on April 7
    ign link
    by Roth Cornet January 23, 2013

Mad Men Season 6 to Return on April 7
    Get your highball glass ready.

AMC’s Mad Men is set to return for its 6th season on Sun., Apr. 7 at 9/8c, Coming Soon reports. The special two-hour premiere was written by creator and executive producer, Matthew Weiner, and directed by executive producer, Scott Hornbacher. The critically acclaimed series will then return to its regular timeslot at 10/9c on the 14th. Episode two of Season 6 was directed by series star Jon Hamm.

As per the usual, details on this upcoming season and the ultimate future of the show are sparse.

"To be able to continue exploring the stories of these characters for a sixth season is an amazing opportunity," Weiner said in a statement. "We love mining this world and look forward to bringing the audience stories that we hope will continue to both surprise and entertain them."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mega pumped. This is probably above even Breaking Bad for me. Absolutely love it.