User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mad Men

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've watched the finale twice and I like the end but I was a little confused the first time because I'd never seen that ad before (am I the only one?). I do think Don quite clearly went back to McCann and created the Coke ad given the cut from his smile to the ad and the fact that the ad looks just like the commune he was at. There's a lot left up to the viewer to decide what happens with Don next but I think this is far less ambiguous than The Sopranos ending as it basically gives you a giant flashing arrow pointing at him making the ad. I also think he took custody of his kids after Betty died though this is less clear. I thought Betty getting cancer was a huge success for the show all said and done. It made sense given how much she (and other characters) smoke and it led to some brilliantly written and acted scenes and let her return to being a cornerstone of the show after she had become a more minor character lately. As for everyone else, a lot of happy endings and I thought they were all well done and pleasing. I liked the Peggy/Stan moment even though I understand why some people think it was rom-commy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the strongest scenes Sally reading the letter from her Mom. That really cut me up.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ad is extremely famous. There had been some predictions about that being the ending, probably because of all the Coke references throughout the season. I think it's pretty clearly meant to imply that Don ended up going back to McCann and coming up with the campaign after his experiences in California.

Only thing I really had an issue with was the Stan/Peggy scene. There's clearly always been chemistry between them, but having them get together like that seemed forced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also surprised, considering she'd previously been grossed out at the very thought of it if I remember right. However I got over it and thought the scene was done pretty well, fuzzy kiss aside.

I agree that Don must have made the Coke ad - him finding inner peace from hippy mumbo jumbo would just seem to far fetched a jump in the space of 10 minutes at the end of the whole show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    I think one of the strongest scenes Sally reading the letter from her Mom. That really cut me up.
    Same for me. I thought the finale was going to be about him coming home to be with his family after he found out about Betty, possibly just in time for the funeral. I was expecting to ball my eyes out over that

Has anyone read the avclub review of the finale, pretty much hits the nail on the head especially regarding Dons realisation when Leonard starts talking near the end. It's a really thorough in-depth review, I'd give it a read if you have a few minutes to kill.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    That ad is extremely famous. There had been some predictions about that being the ending, probably because of all the Coke references throughout the season. I think it's pretty clearly meant to imply that Don ended up going back to McCann and coming up with the campaign after his experiences in California.

Only thing I really had an issue with was the Stan/Peggy scene. There's clearly always been chemistry between them, but having them get together like that seemed forced.
    I think if you see their relationship a little more ambiguously and remember Don's line to Rachel early on in season one about what love is, it leaves the relationship a little less forced. I think that they probably lived relatively happily ever after, but there is still that ambiguity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozanne 3:16 View Post
    Same for me. I thought the finale was going to be about him coming home to be with his family after he found out about Betty, possibly just in time for the funeral. I was expecting to ball my eyes out over that

Has anyone read the avclub review of the finale, pretty much hits the nail on the head especially regarding Dons realisation when Leonard starts talking near the end. It's a really thorough in-depth review, I'd give it a read if you have a few minutes to kill.
    Link me?

I've talked about the finale and read about the finale a lot. I'm still making my mind up on exactly what it all meant. But that was what I always loved about Mad Men, I never truly knew what it was saying or where it was going or what was going to happen. Yet it never got any less compelling and the characters never got any less interesting. Thats why it was so good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Link me?

I've talked about the finale and read about the finale a lot. I'm still making my mind up on exactly what it all meant. But that was what I always loved about Mad Men, I never truly knew what it was saying or where it was going or what was going to happen. Yet it never got any less compelling and the characters never got any less interesting. Thats why it was so good.
    http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/mad-men...-person-219567

It's one of the better reviews of the show I've read in general.

I agree with everything you said there Mik. How on earth am I going to replace this in my viewing schedule!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the Don section and really enjoyed it. Will save the rest for later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weiner gave an interview, cleared up some of the ambiguity. Don definitely created the Coke ad.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...matthew-797302

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That article/interview is a little frustrating. The writer says Weiner says Don created the ad but there's no quote of him saying it, and the quotes they do provide are far more ambiguous. If he said Don created the ad a quote would have been nice.

That said I do think Don obviously created the ad and I don't think Weiner needs to say it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah he doesn't explicitly say it, but it's heavily implied it's Don that creates the ad when he says 'And the idea that someone in an enlightened state might have created something that's very pure — yeah, there's soda in there with a good feeling, but that ad to me is the best ad ever made, and it comes from a very good place.' Definitely implied.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    watched the whole series over the past month. for the first 6 seasons i was enjoying it a lot but thinking it was about two steps below the very best tv series. but season 7 was by far the best of the series and really incredible.