User Tag List

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Films Rumors and News Discussion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He can be thoughtful and intimidating with great ease and he looks exactly like him. I see zero downside to a Jon Hamm Superman. I will be kind of upset if he doesn't get the role.

I felt the same way about Christian Bale playing Batman in 2003 or so. The online crowd thought the same way. Bale's main opposition came from Jake Gyllenhaal and that would have been a fucking disaster. Gylenhaal might be a good actor, but the guy is in no way intimidating. Hot fuck, that would've been awful.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like Hamm is just a bit scrawny to play Superman.

If he got the role he'd surely be the only guy to ever play Lex Luthor and Sups though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwwpXIiSk2k"]YouTube - Lex Luthor Bailout with Jon Hamm[/ame]
    Last edited by Miotch; September 17th, 2010 at 7:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND
    When you have the ability to have a beautiful women literally choking on your penis while you pull the shit out of her hair and push down on her head as hard as you want to, it helps you realize what a class fucking act you really are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan The Man
    And obviously that's all in the societal you, not the Mitch-al (Mitchell?) you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamm could bulk up. After all, this was Bale right before he became Batman:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Since when does an alien with super powers need to look like a body builder? If he had to hit the gym a bit, I'm sure he'd be fine. Reeve certainly wasn't the most buff dude on the planet.

I don't get it. These notions that he "isn't ripped enough" or he "is too old" seem like trivial inconsequential bullshit to me. He's a great actor, looks the part, and seems to have some interest in playing the role. He's fucking perfect for the part. I can't think of anybody else that could do it.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 17th, 2010 at 7:29 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Those Bale pictures show the level of dedication, discipline and complete insanity that a guy playing Batman should possess...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, he said he got sick gaining the weight back and enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bale
    'The director, Christopher Nolan, asked me to try and put on as much weight as I could because he would find it very difficult to convince the studio to cast me if I was a beanpole.

'In doing so I overdid it because I was enjoying gorging. I was ignoring advice about taking it slowly because my stomach had shrunk, and I should just go with soups.

'I was straight into pizza and ice-cream and eating five meals in a sitting. My stomach expanded really quickly. I got very sick during that time but I enjoyed getting sick. I didn't mind it at all.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...film-role.html
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 17th, 2010 at 7:43 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamm is a well built lad. He doesnt need to buff up much at all. He's probably naturally no smaller than Bale is.

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All-Star Superman is to be turned into an animated movie

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter....sive.html#more

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Hamm
    "I certainly haven't been informed of that. They might want to run that by me. I don't know, I think unless Superman's power was the power of being really old...I maybe aged out of that competition."
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=22805

I'd prefer an older Superman at this point.

Oddly enough Christina Hendricks is voicing Lois Lane in the All-Star Superman movie.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A guy in his late thirties is too old to play a character in his early thirties?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By Hollywood standards? Probably.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamm and Bale are similar ages to be able to make a realistic crossover film. That would be awesome. Batman and Superman in the same film has to be an absolute dream for a director and studio.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nolan certainly doesn't care about mingling Batman with other super heroes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I want to see a Superman film where the general public goes absolutely apeshit over a space alien with godlike powers policing the city...
    I want to see xenophobia and end times connotations brought into it...

I want to see people who believe Superman is the anti-christ, and people who believe he's spear heading an alien invasion...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; September 18th, 2010 at 9:33 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this somewhere, but I want to see Lex not treated as a villain and Metropolis played up as post 9/11 New York.

They seem to love the Lex politician model lately, so I say reboot him along those lines. Show him as a Congressman who represents Metropolis, someone who loves Metropolis and doesn't want to see it hurt again. He's not a villain in the first film in the serious, but they establish that he doesn't trust this seemingly unstoppable man flying over the city. I like the idea of some worshipping Superman as though he were the second coming and others distrusting him as though he were the devil.

Lex could be given a similar arch to Dent from TDK, really. Loved by the public, has good intentions, but doesn't trust the man in the sky and when other aliens (Brainiac, Darkseid) enter play or when something happens to Metropolis that Superman can't stop, he loses it and sees the man in blue as the enemy.

I'd even go as far as having Lex work with Superman in the first film to stop whatever disaster is looming, but show him at the end coming to the conclusion that he has to take down Superman and blaming him for whatever happened in the film. Could be a nice little teaser scene for the next film. Motives are important and they basically always play Lex as hating Superman for the sake of hating him. Giving him a real reason to and developing that over a film could be very compelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    I want to see a Superman film where the general public goes absolutely apeshit over a space alien with godlike powers policing the city...
    I want to see xenophobia and end times connotations brought into it...

I want to see people who believe Superman is the anti-christ, and people who believe he's spear heading an alien invasion...
    Hey I had a idea like that. In mine, Superman would be feared because people are paranoid that he's going to take over, Luthor would be a military scientist trying to capture him for the government, Brainiac would be a quadrapeligic that would be hooked up to a computer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to see Superman up against a foe that's a viable threat to the Man of Steel. Ever since I read Death of Superman I wanted to see one panel come to life someday... "They were hitting each other so hard, the windows were shattering."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they use Brainiac, I'd like to see them use him how he was in the Bruce Timm Animated series. Show him on Krypton before the explosion and being the reason for it or complacent in it in his quest to gather information. It gets him in there at the start and seeds him for the next film where he follows Kal-L to a small blue planet.

The self replicating machine could be phenomenal for a massive battle in a few years when CG gets a touch better. Could be an amazingly massive battle between Superman and this enemy that keeps regenerating with nano machines and seems unstoppable. In my mind, if the Nolan crew sets everything up in the first film (Lex learning to hate Superman, Brainiac tracking down Earth, etc) they could have a MASSIVE action film with everything coming to a head. Brainiac tries to absorb/destroy Earth, while Lex blames Superman for him even being there and is trying to defeat Superman on his own.

Brainiac being the cause of or refusing to prevent Krypton's destruction could make for Superman going nuts on him and stops holding back. I love the notion of Supes always having to hold back to avoid hurting or killing people and him just losing it and going nuts in a mega fight would be epic. Two aliens (one super robot, one God) fighting in the skies and beating the shit out of each other would be amazing.
    Last edited by Atty; September 18th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I love the comic book reason for Luthor hating Supes...
    It's just golden age silliness in every panel...

Last edited by Bill Casey; September 18th, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see that working now. I do really want to see Lex coming to hate the "savior" in the sky as a theme of the next movie though. An actual legit reason. Something that causes him to break and blame big blue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How many films can they do? Don't the rights revert back to Siegel and Shuster's estates in a few years?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    *knocks over an open beaker*

Fumes... Smoke... RADIATION!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    How many films can they do? Don't the rights revert back to Siegel and Shuster's estates in a few years?
    Basically, the families will get paid more, like the Marstons do with Wonder Woman...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the details of the settlement in front of me and could be wrong on this but, as I recall, the Siegel and Shuster estates get the rights to his Krypton origin, the name of the planet and kryptonite and WB/DC get the rights to all his powers, name, everything on Earth, etc. I figure if they explore the Krypton stuff in the first film, set it all up, they can get all the expensive stuff in in one shot and then not directly mention them after that.

So, for example, say they used the mold of Brianiac destroying and absorbing the knowledge of Krypton in the first film, they could have him reveal that to Supes in the second with something along the lines of "This will be the second home of yours I destroy", without directly saying Krypton and avoiding paying more.

Again, this is second hand info and I'm doing it from memory and could have it mixed up. I'm sure someone will explain how I'm wrong shortly. It's been over six months since I read up on it.
    Last edited by Atty; September 18th, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a summary:

Quote Originally Posted by 109.com, August 2009
    A new court ruling has awarded the heirs of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel the rights to more stories than the previous original Action Comics #1 appearance. Does this increase the possibility of DC Comics losing control of the character?

The ruling comes as the result of comics historian Denis Kitchen providing evidence (first mentioned as a comment in response to a blog post at comic site Newsarama.com) that more work than just the original Superman story was created prior to DC's purchase of publication rights to the character. While Judge Stephen Larson didn't award the Siegel heirs everything they were hoping for, a significant chunk of the character's initial appearances have now shifted to their favor:

"At the conclusion of this final installment regarding the publication history of and the rights to the iconic comic book superhero Superman, the Court finds that plaintiffs have successfully recaptured (and are co-owners of) the rights to the following works: (1) Action Comics No. 1 (subject to the limitations set forth in the Court's previous Order); (2) Action Comics No. 4; (3) Superman No. 1, pages three through six, and (4) the initial two weeks' worth of Superman daily newspaper strips. Ownership in the remainder of the Superman material at issue that was published from 1938 to 1943 remains solely with defendants".

Whether this impacts any other cases surrounding the rights to the Man of Steel and his universe remains to be seen.

http://io9.com/5336960/dc-loses-more-superman-rights
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDirt, August 2009
    The court ruled, for the most part, that the Siegels successfully recaptured most of the works at issue, including those first two weeks of daily Superman strips, as well as key sections of early Action Comics and Superman comics.This means the Siegels, repped by Warners' nemesis Marc Toberoff, now control depictions of Superman's origins from the planet Krypton, his parents Jor-El and Lora, Superman as an infant, the launching of the baby Superman into space and his landing on Earth in a fiery crash.

But Warners/DC still owns other elements, including Superman's ability to fly, the term "kryptonite," the villain Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olsen, and some of Superman's powers.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...29205900.shtml
    Honestly, I don't think a new Superman movie needs to touch his origin that much. Superman is surely up there with Spiderman in terms of the general public knowing his origin. I hope the new Spiderman franchise doesn't waste time by having Peter discover and test his powers all over again.

Back to Batman briefly, I really hope they bring out Mask of the Phantasm on Blu-Ray at some point. I've heard good things about Under the Hood, so once I get that I'll probably be back into the animated series for a while.
    Last edited by Chris; September 19th, 2010 at 7:44 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mask of Phantasm will come out on blu at some point. Under The Red Hood is really fantastic o blu-ray. Really crisp transfer.

I agree that they don't have to touch Superman's origin, but it's all about what's best for the story. Batman's origins were almost common knowledge, but Begins showed how they shaped Bruce into the man he would become. I could see the same being a compelling story for Superman. How and WHY he becomes the Earth's protector while showing how and why Lex comes to hate him. Could be a nice parallel for a story that sets up a series.

I mentioned it somewhere above, but I want to see Superman having to hold back as a theme of why he becomes Superman. Like he doesn't know his own power and, early in helping people he hurts or kills someone as Clark by not knowing his own strength and is driven to create Superman as a way of protecting Clark while coming to the conclusion that he can do no harm to people and establishing his rules. The theme of holding back is also cool because it would be really fun when he stops holding back on Brainiac or Darkseid in a future film.

It may sound strange with my love of Batman and The Dark Knight in particular, but I'm much more interested in what's to come from Superman's next film that Batman 3. I can't see the next Batman topping TDK, but am very interested in seeing a fresh take and start for The Man of Steel.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want Lex Luthor to be a background character in future Superman films. I like the way Luthor is portrayed in John Byrne's "Man of Steel" limited series in 1986; he's behind most of the plots that Superman foils, yet Superman becomes increasingly frustrated that he can't tie the crime to Luthor. For example, he catches one of Luthor's staff in a power suit, but the suit just happens to leave the wearer a vegetable if worn for too long. Superman is always reacting to Luthor, and restricted by the law. If we had a Superman trilogy, I wouldn't want Luthor to be "the big bad" until the third movie - he could be the man behind the main villain/plot (Metallo is a good example) in the first two movies, with perhaps some smaller crimes where Superman just can't pin anything on him.

That limited series also had Superman invading Qurac to stop terrorists, and being aware of the dangers of acting like a God and interfering in human affairs. If they want to ground it in today's political climate, there are lots of ways to explore how Superman affects the world and how people react to him.

If they start the new franchise with Clark just about to introduce his Superman persona to the world, there's a great viral campaign waiting to happen - there could be shaky-cam footage of someone rescuing people or performing incredible feats. Over time, the clips begin to show someone dressed in red and blue.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by atnumbers View Post
    I mentioned it somewhere above, but I want to see Superman having to hold back as a theme of why he becomes Superman. Like he doesn't know his own power and, early in helping people he hurts or kills someone as Clark by not knowing his own strength and is driven to create Superman as a way of protecting Clark while coming to the conclusion that he can do no harm to people and establishing his rules. The theme of holding back is also cool because it would be really fun when he stops holding back on Brainiac or Darkseid in a future film.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8"]World of Cardboard[/ame]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I love that speech and really want Darkseid as the next villain. Imagine the hell that is Apokolips on the big screen, seen from the view of Superman approaching the planet in space. That would be awesome.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't...
    Not because I don't like Darkseid, but because they need to focus on establishing Nolan's Superman and Earth, and Darkseid's mythos is far too rich to do both justice. He's someone who should come in later on...

I like Luthor conceptually as an industrialist and lobbyist for both police and military. Imagine his life's work designing and building weapons to keep his country safe all rendered moot by this upstart. Everything he's ever done is now worthless. He's a man who lives for designing and building technology to stop potential threats, and now Superman is a potential threat...

Intergang and Bloodsport could have roles. Intergang could be something the police have failed to stop, and Superman succeeds where Luthor fails. Bloodsport could be an early assassination attempt on the man of steel...

There's really a lot to work with there just by introducing Superman to earth...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; September 21st, 2010 at 3:24 PM.

Alf
    That is fucking tremendous. If they could do something similar in a live action film and somehow depict Superman going spazoid on him that woul dbe so good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd prefer Lex Luthor as a career politician.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't...
    Lex Luthor would be castrated as a politician...
    He wouldn't have any actual power...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Seriously, what's he going to do?
    Pass a Law? What Superman does is already illegal...

Subpoena him? Nobody knows who he is or where he lives. Much less how to contain or control him...

File a formal request for a congressional resolution of disapproval and subsequent cloture vote after the inevitable deadlock that will drag on for months and months?
    Last edited by Bill Casey; September 21st, 2010 at 7:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well, that's how he'd start out. Politicians do more than that: they can sway the public's opinion. You know, the way many politicians fill many American's heads with racist anti-immigrant ideas. Superman is an illegal alien with super powers.

Not that this has anything to do with what we discussing, but are you aware of this story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor:_Man_of_Steel ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a trilogy they're doing, then I'd love to see scientist/businessman/"philanthropist" Luthor for the first one, letting Metallo do his dirty work to take out Supes for the first one. Then Luthor running for president during the second one, at the end of which he wins and takes office. Third movie as a begrudging truce between Superman and Lex when they combine forces to halt Darkseid's invasion of Earth.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, what's he going to do?
    Pass a Law? What Superman does is already illegal...

Subpoena him? Nobody knows who he is or where he lives. Much less how to contain or control him...

File a formal request for a congressional resolution of disapproval and subsequent cloture vote after the inevitable deadlock that will drag on for months and months?
    Or rally the military to build up a defense force to take down the undocumented alien in the sky.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The US military would be contentious. Lets not go the Avatar route and have the military turn into violent reactionary hyenas at the whims of a politician. That made no sense. Lex Luthor would ultimately turn to a privatized force like Blackwater.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to get into it, but there was nothing in Avatar that said they were US.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Politicians do more than that: they can sway the public's opinion. You know, the way many politicians fill many American's heads with racist anti-immigrant ideas.
    That's not at all what reality is...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's not at all what reality is...
    "Securing our borders" is latent racism.

Admiration for career politicians is naiveté at its worst.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 21st, 2010 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's also a narrative driven by people who aren't politicians...
    The politicians latch onto the narrative like barnacles for fear of their jobs. (See John McCain)...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A man who never said he was a maverick

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's also a narrative driven by people who aren't politicians...
    The politicians latch onto the narrative like barnacles for fear of their jobs. (See John McCain)...
    And John McCain should have bowed out long ago.

A Superman story doesn't even need a political bent. Nolan's Batman movies make a statement without being overtly political. Batman is essentially a masked public servant who beats the shit out of people.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oooh...

They could have Leslie Willis and her show "Live Wire"...
    Think...

She wouldn't have to be super-powered...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I thought Anthony Michael Hall's character in The Dark Knight would turn out to be a Glenn Beck type. I was wrong, but they could put a similar pundit in Batman 3. In fact, that would make more sense considering Batman is now an outlaw.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leslie Willis as an Easter Egg type of character would be great. Livewire shouldn't be the villain in any live action Superman (she's behind Brainiac, Darkseid, Metallo, Parasite, random Kryptonians and so forth), but she could be great as someone that's in the background as a broadcaster, as a nod to the fans. Kind of like Zsasz in Batman Begins.

Something I've also kicked around in my head—and I can't really see the Nolan crew doing this—is bringing Kara in at some point. Sure, Supergirl got an overly campy spinoff movie in the 80s, but if they get Supes to take off like they did Batman at the box office, that could be a way of putting out more movies. Having seen MANY different versions of her (and recently watching the new Apocalypse film), I think she could make for a solid story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope Johnathan Nolan ends up directing the new Superman film. He'd be new to the directing game, but with his brother behind him, he'd have the most reliable individual in the history of film producers.

Also, I don't think this needs to be an origin story at all. I think Jon Hamm would make the perfect Superman precisely because he's older and more distinguished.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 22nd, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, I'd love to see the Grant Morrison "All-Star Superman" origin, which basically takes care of it in four still-shot frames.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want it to be an origin of sorts. Kind of what I'd nickname Superman Begins, where it's a non-linear structure, with his backstory told by flashbacks as the movie goes on. It could make for a great finale sequence with the destruction of Krypton happening alongside Superman saving the Earth.

If they went with Brainiac playing a role in the destruction (which I really think they should do), they could show his computer program/brain downloading into a ship and escaping before the explosion and then show the same ship passing Saturn en route to Earth at the end of the film. Brainiac's the perfect and unique villain for the second movie. A self-aware and self-replicating alien computer who wants to absorb the knowledge of the Earth and then destroy it, would be great for an action based sequel, where Supes keeps pounding him apart and this machine keeps rebuilding and restructuring himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some adaptation of this would be perfect. Simplified and iconic. Everyone knows this story.

Of course, Siegel and Schuster now own a large portion of that.

Or what atnumbers suggested, if it would effectively throw Brainiac into the mix.
    Last edited by Motherboy; September 22nd, 2010 at 4:39 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think the destruction of Krypton could make a fantastic climax to the movie if they didn't use a linear structure to tell Superman's story. Have flashbacks of Krypton throughout the movie and then have it's demise come towards the end of the movie. It could be a gorgeous way to show him as a helpless infant, unable to save his own world and then contrast it with Kal-L saving his adopted world of Earth from whatever disaster it's facing in the first movie.

The destruction of Krypton was the best thing in Superman Returns and tends to get overlooked by coming early in most stories where it's told. It was fantastic in the great Donner Superman film, but that was in the first 20 minutes of a 2 and a half hour film. It really could make for an exciting climax with great visuals. One world dies, another lives.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by atnumbers View Post
    I really think the destruction of Krypton could make a fantastic climax to the movie if they didn't use a linear structure to tell Superman's story. Have flashbacks of Krypton throughout the movie and then have it's demise come towards the end of the movie. It could be a gorgeous way to show him as a helpless infant, unable to save his own world and then contrast it with Kal-L saving his adopted world of Earth from whatever disaster it's facing in the first movie.

The destruction of Krypton was the best thing in Superman Returns and tends to get overlooked by coming early in most stories where it's told. It was fantastic in the great Donner Superman film, but that was in the first 20 minutes of a 2 and a half hour film. It really could make for an exciting climax with great visuals. One world dies, another lives.
    I love it...
    Drama, tension, a sense of real danger...

1978 Superman should have just kept reversing time, then Krypton would be saved. Then he could save Batman's parents and give Lex Luthor's dad a vasectomy. I mean, once you can reverse time, there's no going back...

...wait...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; September 22nd, 2010 at 5:27 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Krypton was destroyed years and years and years before Clark arrived at Earth. I don't remember the exact number, but Clark's dad did in fact say "I will now have been dead for [big number] years."

Remember, son. Always remember.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Time Travel...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Adair View Post

Some adaptation of this would be perfect. Simplified and iconic. Everyone knows this story.

Of course, Siegel and Schuster now own a large portion of that.

Or what atnumbers suggested, if it would effectively throw Brainiac into the mix.
    If they adapted All-Star Superman in its entirety, that would be amazing.

At least it's getting DC Animated treatment.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 22nd, 2010 at 7:00 PM.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark84j View Post
    Krypton was destroyed years and years and years before Clark arrived at Earth. I don't remember the exact number, but Clark's dad did in fact say "I will now have been dead for [big number] years."

Remember, son. Always remember.

I'm fairly sure it was in the thousands, but films aren't canon, obv.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said two different dates in Superman 1. Brando says "by the time you see this, I'll have been dead for many thousands of your years" and they also say Krypton blew up in, I believe, 1946.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/0...trailer-video/

Nice. I believe it comes out Spring 2011 rather than Winter 2011.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Here are the five possible directors for the new Superman film.

* Tony Scott (Unstoppable, The Taking of Pelham 123)
    * Matt Reeves (Let Me In, Cloverfield)
    * Jonathan Liebesman (Battle: Los Angeles, Clash of the Titans 2 [upcoming])
    * Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)
    * Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline.com
    Chris Nolan Looks For 'Superman' Director
    By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday September 23, 2010 @ 8:21pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Brothers film execs are telling Deadline there will be major announcements involving DC characters coming in 4 weeks. But I can tell you now that Superman producers Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas are getting closer to resuscitating the Man of Steel. I'm told they have begun meeting with a short list of directors for the job of directing Superman, the picture which will be financed by Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures. On the list: Unstoppable's Tony Scott, Let Me In director Matt Reeves, Battle: Los Angeles helmer Jonathan Liebesman (who just got the Warner Bros/Legendary job of directing Clash of the Titans 2), Duncan Jones, who just directed Source Code, and Sucker Punch helmer Zack Snyder. As Deadline first revealed back in February (Chris Nolan Will Mentor Superman 3.0), Nolan came up with an idea that put the Batman director in a godfather position on Superman, which besides from the Batfranchise is the linchpin of DC Comics franchise characters. David Goyer wrote a script. Several of these directors have movie commitments like Liebesman, which make then unlikely. Nolan has already started meeting with candidates and will submit his choice to the studio within the next few weeks. Warner Bros and Legendary have to get the picture made by 2012, because the studio stands to lose certain rights to the iconic character in 2013 after a judge ruled favorably on behalf of the heirs of Superman creator Jerry Siegel. As I've reported previously, the studio at one point wanted Guillermo del Toro to resurrect Superman... Will tell you more when I hear it.
    I haven't seen Moon, but I think Duncan Jones seems like a good choice.

Actually, Snyder isn't my favorite choice, but Tony Scott would be way worse. I can't recall anything that he's done lately that I even remotely liked.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duncan Jones would definitely be my pick from that list. I loved Moon and he was able to direct a guy to telling a good story on his own. Much of Superman is a guy coming to terms with being alone and, hmmm...

I think Jones could actually be a great choice with Nolan's hand in there as an active producer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I need to see Moon. I think I ruined for myself by reading so much stuff about it. Still, it looks like he has a distinct vision for his films and that's more important than anything else. Tony Scott would just have the camera rattling around to convey intensity.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that you'd be absolutely crazy giving a rookie director the job of helming one of the biggest reboot jobs in cinema history...but then Nolan was a rookie when he took on Batman Begins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realized that Marvel made another x-men spinoff after x-men evolution. It's called "Wolverine and the X-men"...and after watching the first episode, I'm amazed. It's Marvel's best attempt at recreating the x-men by far. Not as kiddy as evolution was, more like X-men the animated series with much, much better graphics and a story that keeps you hooked.

I also just read that after 26 episodes production was stopped due to conflicts/money within the team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hated that show. Wolverine is tall, handsome, caring and not at all Wolverine. And Cyclops spends the whole season whining about Jean instead of manning up and leading the team the way he's done so many times in the comics. Other than that, I have to admit the show was pretty good. I just couldn't get past those two things.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I would say that you'd be absolutely crazy giving a rookie director the job of helming one of the biggest reboot jobs in cinema history...but then Nolan was a rookie when he took on Batman Begins.
    Jones finished his second film which looks much larger in scale.

Matt Reeves would be my second choice.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And Cyclops spends the whole season whining about Jean instead of manning up and leading the team the way he's done so many times in the comics.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wolverine should be 5'6 or so and look like Clint Eastwood. Enough with this 6'2 bullshit.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolverine should be a cross between mth and Fagballs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't disprove my point at all. In "Wolverine and the X-Men", Scott hangs around the mansion sulking and being a general prick about the whole thing.

In the comics, he quits the X-Men to go join a fishing boat, kicks D'Spayre's ass alongside Man-Thing and then goes on to discover Magneto's secret fortress before rejoining the X-Men as team leader, like, ten issues later. Scott's the man in the comics. Yeah, he can be little self-pitying, but he's not the self-indulgently pathetic character Wolverine and the X-Men makes him out to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I abhor Wolverine and the X-Men as well. Really, really, bad characterization. Say what you want about the kidification about X-Men Evolution, at least every character was pitch perfect (minus Spyke, but that's forgiveable, as they had to have a black guy on the cast, so they just took Marrow and made her a black skater kid, so its all good).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X-men evolution fucking butchered Apocalypse though. Apocalypse is my favorite mutant and they made him seem so weak. The end of the third season with Mesmero trying to unleash him was perfect, I'll give him that, but the fourth season was beyond stupid.

Before season 4, everyone in the world was hyped up because we all thought we would get a glimpse of his powers and such, but they went in a whole completely new direction. Aside from him killing magneto, they focused on other crap like the mutant that has dream powers with Kitty or the resurfacing of the Morlocks. Here you have a 5,000 year old mutant who's powers are immortality and being able to absorb body mass being completely ignored. They ignored him from episodes 1-8 and then ran a 2 part season finale with them beating apocalypse by....locking him in a chamber.

I really hope Marvel starts up another X-men series. Or maybe just one for Wolverine. Or maybe one about Magneto and Xavier's origins. Anything
    Last edited by S.H. Styles; September 25th, 2010 at 9:55 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really don't give a shit about the new X-Men movie. Matthew Vaughn of Kick-Ass fame is directing it. Kick-Ass was fan-boy wank material bolstered by one of the least likable protagonists in film history; I mean, what a pussy. That film purports to be about super-heroes "IF THEY WERE 4 REALZ" when it really just a live action cartoon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In the comics, he quits the X-Men to go join a fishing boat, kicks D'Spayre's ass alongside Man-Thing and then goes on to discover Magneto's secret fortress before rejoining the X-Men as team leader, like, ten issues later.
    It's twelve issues later, which was an entire friggin' year...
    And he didn't rejoin as team leader...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Drunk poop shit.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 26th, 2010 at 2:51 AM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Meh, whatever. I botched that shit regardless.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; September 26th, 2010 at 2:48 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't give a shit about the new X-Men movie. Matthew Vaughn of Kick-Ass fame is directing it. Kick-Ass was fan-boy wank material bolstered by one of the least likable protagonists in film history; I mean, what a pussy. That film purports to be about super-heroes "IF THEY WERE 4 REALZ" when it really just a live action cartoon.
    I couldnt agree less.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's twelve issues later, which was an entire friggin' year...
    And he didn't rejoin as team leader...
    From a real-life time standpoint, I guess that's longer than the season of Wolverine and the X-Men. And I didn't know at all that he didn't rejoin as leader. Who was heading the team? Storm?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, Storm was still the leader...
    Issue 154 discusses this...

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    fucksake Adair mate keep up

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by LATimes
    It's a swan, it's a plane...Darren Aronofsky latest name to surface in Superman director search
    September 27, 2010 | 1:24 pm

When we interviewed Darren Aronofsky at the start of the Toronto International Film Festival, he had a deadpan answer on the progress of "Robocop," the remake of the 1980s action movie that has been felled by financial problems at MGM.

"I think I'm still attached," he said. "I don't know. I haven't heard from anyone in a while."

Now there's talk that he could make his studio debut with a different classic property: Superman.

Super As he intensifies his search for a director on the Warner Bros. reboot, Christopher Nolan, who's godfathering the new Superman and producing the David Goyer script, has had discussions with Aronofsky about the job, sources say.

Aronfosky's latest, "Black Swan," the hybrid dramatic thriller with Natalie Portman, looks on track to become an art-house hit, if not more, and the idea would be to bring Aronofsky's auteur sensibility to the comic book mythology (much as Nolan has done with Batman).

Of course, Aronofsky is just one name among many. Nolan and producing partner Emma Thomas are casting a net wider than Krypton for the job, with Zack Snyder (a man known for action scenes and physical movement), Matt Reeves (getting heat off this Friday's "Let Me In") and a number of veteran filmmakers also reportedly in the running.

There would also be questions about how the relationship would work between two strong-willed auteurs like Aronosky and Nolan. And the "Wrestler" director has famously resisted taking on bigger-budget studio pictures in the interest of retaining creative control.

Still, it's an enticing idea to bring on an Aronofsky or someone of his ilk. He and Nolan have had similar roots, if vastly different trajectories. Both gained acclaim for low-budget indies that told fractured stories (Nolan with "Following" and Aronofsky with "Pi") and have continued to maintain an auteur vision even as they worked with bigger stars. If Warner Bros. and financier Legendary are going to give Nolan a significant degree of creative freedom, it makes sense to go with someone who knows how to make the most of that.

-- Steven Zeitchik
    Holy shit...

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Harras is now D.C Comic's new EIC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Storm was still the leader...
    Issue 154 discusses this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    fucksake Adair mate keep up
    I have been shamed. As such, I am leaving the forums forever to grow a beard and work on a fishing boat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    The man who brought us 300 and Watchmen will bring Superman back to the big screen. Deadline is reporting that Zack Snyder has scored the coveted directing gig on the reboot of the Man of Steel story.

Snyder's name has surfaced recently on a short list of potential directors, which also included Tony Scott, Jonathan Liebesman, Duncan Jones and Darren Aronofsky. But Snyder ultimately winning out is not too surprising, given his ongoing relationship with Warner Bros., which includes the upcoming Sucker Punch. With 300 and Watchmen, he's already tackled two big budget, comic book derived stories for the studio, who are now handing him what is, arguably, the world's most recognizable super hero.

Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas are producing and overseeing Superman, so presumably they also played a role in picking Snyder for this extremely high profile project.

Update: In their story on Snyder being hired as the Superman director, Hollywood Reporter also mention they've heard a rumor that the villain in David Goyer's script for the new movie is
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1125368p1.html

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Atty! View Post
    Wolverine should be a cross between mth and Fagballs.
    Sounds sexy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of either of those two bits of info.

Zod was the villain in Singer's script for the sequel and that was one of the many reasons that film never got off the ground. I loved Zod, don't get me wrong there, but he was largely a creation for the movies and there is such a wealth of villains out there that it just seems lazy.

As far as Snyder, I don't think he's right for this project. I'm not knocking him, but he always strikes me as a guy who's best working with something that he can pretty much directly translate. I felt his Watchmen was quite underrated and top notch, but both of his adaptations of comic properties have lacked a sense of joy/fun to them. That's something that Superman needs.

[EDIT]That was to Vice's post, of course, but mthero would scare me.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing but faith in Nolan and Co. so their story/directer decisions are fine by me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No one here is/was going to get exactly what they wanted. We don't even know how they are going to approach the material.

The weakest link in this situation is David Goyer. I don't dislike him, but outside of Batman Begins, what else has he done a good job on? Granted, the Super Nolan Bros. will be polishing up his script.

Also...

"Kneel before Zod!"

Fuck the haters. Zod and his cronies were the one part of the Superman sequel that didn't suck balls.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; October 5th, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, and I want to be careful here because I loved Zod, it's not like he's one of Superman's top foes. He's had a few incarnations in the comics, but is mainly what he was in Superman's I and II. He was written into the first film as a way to plant a seed for the second. Stamp did an amazing job in the role, but I don't really see anywhere else to go with him. Especially if they're fully rebooting, in which case the focus should be on establishing Superman, not having another Kryptonian show up on Earth right away.

I trust the Nolan camp, but I don't expect to actually see Zod as the villain, when all is said and done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think they chose him because he is the anti-Superman. He looks human and has super powers, but he's EVIL.

I do hope Lex is in the movie some shape or form. It would be a real shame to leave him out.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a lot for one movie. It worked in the Superman I & II arc because you knew Zod was out there from the start of the movie. Bringing both he and Kal-El to Earth in a single movie seems a bit much. I'd feel the same way about any alien enemy for the first film, really. The first film should be about establishing the main character and then planting the seed for the next movie. Like the end of Batman Begins, where we had a film develop the primary characters and then give the audience a teaser of what's to come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goyer is a terrifying prospect. His DC scripts are horrible. Like his take on Green Lantern a few years back that thankfully never got made. Ugh.

I don't have any care for Superman. I don't particularly like the films, I don't like the character beyond the 1988 Ruby-Spears cartoon or his use in JLA comics. His rogues gallery is fucking weird, to say the least. And they aren't going to want to use Lex, because its Goyer and Nolan, who want to use the more obscure. I want to hear more before I get too depressed about it, but I'm not looking forward to this at the moment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I figured Superman would be defending Earth by the start of the film. There's really know need to rehash the origin story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewun View Post
    Goyer is a terrifying prospect. His DC scripts are horrible. Like his take on Green Lantern a few years back that thankfully never got made. Ugh.

I don't have any care for Superman. I don't particularly like the films, I don't like the character beyond the 1988 Ruby-Spears cartoon or his use in JLA comics. His rogues gallery is fucking weird, to say the least. And they aren't going to want to use Lex, because its Goyer and Nolan, who want to use the more obscure. I want to hear more before I get too depressed about it, but I'm not looking forward to this at the moment.
    I'm fairly sure that you don't know what it takes to entertain people more than the brothers Nolan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly sure that you don't know what it takes to entertain people more than the brothers Nolan.
    K, not really sure where that came from. I said nothing bad about the Nolans. They are perfectly fine.

And to be fair, the same could more than likely be said about EVERYONE in this discussion. Maybe. I don't quite understand what you meant by that statement to be honest. Strange syntax usage. But that's neither here nor there.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I can understand Zod as a choice, because much of his explanation is so closely linked to what Superman is. He's extremely easy to set up while establishing Superman, and, at the same time, he's something Superman can actually punch...

I was pretty against Zod on principle at first, because Superman does have an expansive rogues gallery to draw from, and Zod's a relatively minor villain that has already starred in a major film. Still, as we began to discuss the complex themes they possibly could address with a self appointed omnipotent alien sentry, I'm finding it more and more difficult to justify other potential non-human antagonists. Bloodsport could fit. Intergang could fit. Luthor could fit. Because they're all human interactions and reactions to Superman. Most super powered threats require their own tellings. But with Zod, you have the same essential elements that you're introducing to the world alongside Superman...

I'm still a little taken aback by it, but I certainly understand the prospect. And I certainly take tremendous solace in the fact that they can do things with a Superman/Zod battle that they could never do in 1980. Very epic things...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, if they want a Kryptonian for him to fight, I'd rather they use someone totally different. Like Jax-Ur and Mala. That could work well if they skip the direct origin story and start with a giant crystal ship crashing to Earth with two Kryptonians inside. It could set up the themes of people distrusting the aliens, give Superman something to punch and so forth.

And they could have Brainiac follow the ship to Earth and end with Brainiac's ship orbiting the moon or something, without having to actually show him. Like have the big space credits in the beginning show the crystal ship being tracked on some viewscreen with alien text on it and end with Superman flying of towards the sun only to pan off and show this imposing ship in the distance.

Or just make cream myself and show the Kryptonians come to Earth through a boomtube.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Or Superman could accidentally open the Phantom Zone...

His dad Jor El discovered it and invented the method of imprisoning people there. He could put it in the capsule as a last ditch effort to preserve the Kryptonian race. It would certainly make the encounter between the two much less of a massive coincidence...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; October 5th, 2010 at 2:40 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye.