User Tag List

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

I'm hoping this hasn't been done before. and think its a decent idea, so basically...

Much like the one in the WWE forums, this is a thread for general tid-bits or points that anyone wants to make about a film, a book or a television show which doesn't really warrant its own thread.

Rather than having a thread for every movie that is coming out, and only receiving 5 replies, bring it up in here.

Maybe you've seen an older movie for the first time, or just read a book that you want to share some thoughts on, again, bring it up here.

I reckon this could be quite decent with quite a decent bit of interest building in this forum lately (due to Mik amongst others), so fire away.
    Last edited by Slare; February 20th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Hitchcock's The Birds a couple weeks ago. It was brilliant. There was a "making of" feature on the DVD that was about 2 hours long which only made me appreciate the film all the more. Great flick, with some amazing effects for its time.
    My favorite scene is when the main character (i can't recall her name now) is sitting on the bench outside the school, and the birds start to appear on the playground equipment. That was just fantastic.
    My wife and I have been on a bit of a Hitchcock thing for awhile now....watching Vertigo, Rope (both of which were second viewings for me), and I think a couple others I can't remember (The 39 Steps, perhaps?), and we've also both seen Psycho, too. If anyone has other recommendations of his work, feel free to share.
    Last edited by mth; February 20th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just read "Next" by Michael Chrichton, the guy who wrote Jurassic Park. Fantastic book that takes genetics and Scifi and blend it well into multiple stories that eventually all tie in together. A bit confusing if you don't pay careful attention when reading, and there's plenty reading to do clocking in at over 500 pages long, so take some time out to read this one.

I sound like I'm trying to sell the damn book, but yeah, it was good none-the-less, especially if you really dig Biology/Genetics/SciFi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Just read "Next" by Michael Chrichton, the guy who wrote Jurassic Park. Fantastic book that takes genetics and Scifi and blend it well into multiple stories that eventually all tie in together. A bit confusing if you don't pay careful attention when reading, and there's plenty reading to do clocking in at over 500 pages long, so take some time out to read this one.

I sound like I'm trying to sell the damn book, but yeah, it was good none-the-less, especially if you really dig Biology/Genetics/SciFi.

?

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought Peter Jackson's best film he directed was Braindead.

I WAS WRONG

Meet the Feebles has to be like the best film ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably only people in the UK will know who I'm talking about here:

Lenny Henry may be the most untalented and unfunny person to ever step in front of a television camera. So how the hell does he keep getting programmes to host? Plus, I believe his latest is looking at funny clips from the Internet - a format which was already cliche before he did it.

The Rosk
    He used to be semi-decent when he first came out, when racism was still a hot topic and he used to do a Chris Rock-lite effort. See Simon's thread for my thoughts on that.

I hate buying films just for the bit where a bird gets her rack out and I go to that scene, have a tug, THEN watch the film. It spoils the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. Stone View Post

Lenny Henry may be the most untalented and unfunny person to ever step in front of a television camera. So how the hell does he keep getting programmes to host? Plus, I believe his latest is looking at funny clips from the Internet - a format which was already cliche before he did it.

my bro offered me a free ticket to go see him live

Told him I couldn't make it, the night of the show was also the same night I liked to pick all the dead skin off the bottom of my foot.

I have my priorities right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    He used to be semi-decent when he first came out, when racism was still a hot topic and he used to do a Chris Rock-lite effort. See Simon's thread for my thoughts on that.

I hate buying films just for the bit where a bird gets her rack out and I go to that scene, have a tug, THEN watch the film. It spoils the film.
    I know what you mean. It annoys me that very few sites offer just skin scenes from films. Redtube considers them to not be hardcore enough, youtube considers them to be too rude to show. Its very annoying.

Vanquisher of Jesus Sucks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sat and watched Varsity Blues the other night. I really liked it.

Bye.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to agree there, Tom, I've never found Henry particularly watchable. Drives me nuts when potentially interesting things like Comic Relief have him plastered all over it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Lenny Henry is an utter cunt. I despise him. He makes me grind my teeth and leaves me never wanting to laugh again.

He's an anti-comedian.

In other news, The Wire is the best. Watch it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by SideburnZ View Post

?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_(novel)

More like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really is a good read Hero. Was very fond of the transgenic monkey, wasn't his name something like David or Charlie, can't exactly recall.

Remember being in an absolute Crichton rage about a year or so back. Read the Andromeda Strain, Congo, Jurassic Park, State of Fear and Prey in a span of 3 months. All where tremendous, but remember being especially fond of Prey. Loved the whole survival against an automated killing machine. Also I always think of the monster from Prey, when ever the black smoke monster shows up on lost, they both seem somewhat similar.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Series 2 of Skins is proving to be a bloody hard watch compared to the first. Not in a bad way, just more uncomfortable and less chumy.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Sane View Post
    That really is a good read Hero. Was very fond of the transgenic monkey, wasn't his name something like David or Charlie, can't exactly recall.
    Dave For a chimp, he was an awesome character. Easily one of the most badass in the story. We were reading this in my genetics class and then I brought the book home and read it on my own and finished it within hours, I have to pick up a copy for my book collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that was it. Yeah he was an awesome character. Hopefully we all can have a talking, super protective, bully mauling chimp some day.

Also was fond of the smack talking Parrot with the French name. Gerrard I believe.

Its amazing reading about some of the things in the book you would think as fiction, but are indeed fact. Like the growing of the miniature ear, and the transgenic cactus. Also how they are already selling some transgenic fish(Glofish). Wild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Series 2 of Skins is proving to be a bloody hard watch compared to the first. Not in a bad way, just more uncomfortable and less chumy.
    Skins is for kids and gays.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely loathe George Clooney. I am convinced he cannot act a lick. Everytime I see him, I wonder whose role or award nomination he has just taken.

I think every time I pay to see a movie he is in, someone in Hollywood thinks "AHAAHAHAHAHA. Fucker."

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Skins is for kids and gays.
    You watched every episode mate?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just saw the Butterfly Effect, it was on TV. Fucking good movie, very twisted and creepy. It's interesting how people always say "If I could go back an do it all over again..." and then seeing what happens when someone can actually do it. I wish someone else had played the lead because I can't help but connect Ashton with Kelso and just wait for him to say something idiotic.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butterly Effect was a great concept but a shit film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beforehand View Post
    I absolutely loathe George Clooney. I am convinced he cannot act a lick. Everytime I see him, I wonder whose role or award nomination he has just taken.

I think every time I pay to see a movie he is in, someone in Hollywood thinks "AHAAHAHAHAHA. Fucker."
    On a completely relatyed note, finally saw "Michael Clayton" last night. Badass flick, worth the wait.

Purchased it at the same time as "American Gangster" and "Gone Baby Gone" and we've watched all three over the past 3 nights, "Clayton" was the only one I hadn't previously seen. Having seen Tilda Swinton's work in "Clayton" and with Amy Ryan having turned in one of the best performances by any actor in any role in "Gone Baby Gone", though, I've gotta question how one can explain Ruby Dee's Best Supporting Actress nods (and wins) as anything other than some sort of Career Achievment acknowledgement -- her role in "Gangster" was minimal at best, and even her big "Oscar Moment" speech was short, fairly apparant/predictable and, quite honestly, not entirely necessary. Certainly there were a good half dozen supporting roles turned in last year as deserving of acclaim if not moreso than Ruby's.

Back to Clooney, though -- when he's on, I'm a pretty big fan, but he's picked some roles over the span of his big screen career that were questionable at best and flat-out bad at worst. Still, I'll put his work in "Clayton", "Good Night And Good Luck" and "Syriana" up against the resumes of many "better" actors, and Clooney would emerge superior more often than he wouldn't.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butterly Effect was a great concept but a shit film.
    And had plot holes you could drive a truck through. Kinda annoys me they had so much potential and all they had to do was fix those huge gaping time travel flaws and you'd have a half decent scifi. Timeline is a much nicer B-Grade action scifi.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A massive truck that could then splice itself into an alternate reality and run over the cast of One Tree Hill.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I thought it was good for what it was. A creepy SciFi movie toying with a concept that we'll never really understand. I mean, how do you know that killing a butterfly would even have an effect? Perhaps that butterfly was destined to die anyway.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The concept of Chaos Theory and Destiny are somewhat polarised.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Whoops, poor word choice I guess. hehe.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was good for what it was. A creepy SciFi movie toying with a concept that we'll never really understand. I mean, how do you know that killing a butterfly would even have an effect? Perhaps that butterfly was destined to die anyway.
    The scene which completely killed it for me was the stigmata in jail sequence. It switched their "time travel logic" as upto that point no-one had been aware of the changes but Ashton but then suddenly everyone else notices the "new" scars. Logically it wouldn't be a big deal as they would have seen them the second he entered the jail as they wouldn't be aware a change had been done.

Makes completely no sense.

I'd rather they remade The Sound of Thunder, or any other dozen or so chaos theory movies that have been created. Primer is a better film even if it's clear it's a incredibly low budget indie film as it actually makes sense even if trying to follow it without a pen & paper will drive you insane.
    Last edited by Aussie_Outlaw; February 22nd, 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't they already remake Sound of Thunder in the last year or two, and it turn out to be something extremely horrible?

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    On a completely relatyed note, finally saw "Michael Clayton" last night. Badass flick, worth the wait.

Back to Clooney, though -- when he's on, I'm a pretty big fan, but he's picked some roles over the span of his big screen career that were questionable at best and flat-out bad at worst. Still, I'll put his work in "Clayton", "Good Night And Good Luck" and "Syriana" up against the resumes of many "better" actors, and Clooney would emerge superior more often than he wouldn't.
    I really did like "Michael Clayton". I thought both Tom Wilkinson and Tilda Swinton were absolutely stellar.

See, that's the thing about Clooney - I feel as though I don't get much non-Clooneyness from him. To be honest, I did forget about "Good Night, and Good Luck", which I may have to give him credit for, but as far as "Michael Clayton" and "Syriana" were concerned, I remember thinking "If anyone else were in this role, it would have been knocked out of the park", but as far as Clooney was concerned, I just checked out.

The scene in Clayton with Swinton and Clooney is one example, but it was far worse in "Michael Clayton" than I can remember it being, which is why it's fresh on my mind.

EDIT: I will admit to being sharply against critics and film scholars alike this particular year, though. Amy Ryan, "No Country For Old Men", "There Will Be Blood", Ellen Page, and "Juno" all failed to do a WHOLE lot for me, though I'd still call Ryan top 5 in that category this year. Daniel Day-Lewis wasn't nearly as much as I expected either, but I still think it was the best male performance of the year.
    Last edited by Beforehand; February 22nd, 2008 at 1:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clooney is a rather good actor, in the Jack Nicholson (every role is rather himself, but they are usually still very strong) vein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, Walker Texas Ranger - Trial by Fire is an amazing film

it's like watching CSI, but with a 3 year old child doing all the special effects shite

why am I still watching this?

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a friend in college that thought Walker Texas Ranger was the best show on television.

Granted, I would call this friend stupid on a number of occassions afterwards.

On a different topic, I just got finished watching Groundhog's Day. It's not my first time watching it, as I have watched it several times before, but each time I watch it, it still is funny, and I honestly believe it's one of the best comedies out there.

Just thought I would share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if I ever get pulled over by the police, I wish I had the balls to say what he said

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Is it too early for flapjacks?"

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Walker was a hell of a show. When I was younger we'd watch it right before (or was it after?) RAW with my dad because he loved it. Wonderful 3 hours of family bonding time watching guys kick other guys' asses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what would you do if the same day would just repeat itself?

I'm pretty sure I'd just end up going down to the co-op and buying myself a 1l bottle of their Superior White Rum and seeing if I could beat my time in drinking it.

killing yourself in different ways would also be fun, but I'd have to jump from a plane rather than a bell tower or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't anyone going to add any Chuck Norris jokes to the conversation? That's a bit surprising, really, even if we've all heard all of them many times already.

Amy Ryan...failed to do a WHOLE lot for me, though I'd still call Ryan top 5 in that category this year.
    She quite honestly turned in perhaps the most realistic performace of a Bostonian in the history of film. Stunningly convincing portrayal, from her dialect/accent to her facial expressions to her body language and on and on it goes, especially when one considers that she's not even American, much less Bostonian.

I'm convinced that if you were to poll anyone who's spent enough time in this region to know how people really are as opposed to the comical portrayals of our residents that you so often get with the overblown accents and the dialogue that no one actually uses, and this group of people had all seen not only all 5 nominated Supporting Actress roles but every other film with a potential nominee, Ryan wins the award in overwhelming fashion. She took that movie, folded it up and stuck it in her purse, that's how much she owned it.
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; February 22nd, 2008 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walker was a hell of a show. When I was younger we'd watch it right before (or was it after?) RAW with my dad because he loved it. Wonderful 3 hours of family bonding time watching guys kick other guys' asses.
    spinning heel kick

It was funny though. Me, my mate and my sister went to see Dodgeball at the cinema. The place was rammed but yet we were the only ones who laughed when Chuck Norris came onto the screen. Texas Ranger was compulsive viewing in my house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to have been an abundance of one-time-only reunion shows over the last few years. To The Manor Born, The Royle Family, Mult-Coloured Swap Shop, Tiswas, and now plans for The Frost Report. I suppose it beats coming up with new ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now Bravo is playing Friday the 13th part II.

Man, I love those movies. Almost all 80's horror slashers are better than those nowadays. It's just the atmosphere man. And they had a lot less resources back then to deal with shit. If Jason is killing people at Camp Crystal Lake, now you just get on your cell phone and call for help.

I mean, it might not make that much sense to someone else, but something about those movies still make me close my eyes, when modern things barely phase me. Atmosphere.

And liberal amounts of sex helps too.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She quite honestly turned in perhaps the most realistic performace of a Bostonian in the history of film. Stunningly convincing portrayal, from her dialect/accent to her facial expressions to her body language and on and on it goes, especially when one considers that she's not even American, much less Bostonian.

I'm convinced that if you were to poll anyone who's spent enough time in this region to know how people really are as opposed to the comical portrayals of our residents that you so often get with the overblown accents and the dialogue that no one actually uses, and this group of people had all seen not only all 5 nominated Supporting Actress roles but every other film with a potential nominee, Ryan wins the award in overwhelming fashion. She took that movie, folded it up and stuck it in her purse, that's how much she owned it.
    I don't know any Bostonians, though I do think it's quite awesome that she wasn't even allowed to enter the set one day because she was so deliciously convincing.

Again, though, I was really quite divergent from critical opinion this year, so shit.
    Last edited by Beforehand; February 22nd, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You telling me you guys didn't stick around to watch Silk Stockings afterwards?

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Entertainment Weekly just did a countdown of their top 100 Oscar snubs of all time. I completely agree with the top pick - it's one of my favorites, and I hate the actor.

#100-76

#75-51

#50-26

#25-1
    Last edited by Beforehand; February 23rd, 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the links you posted have http:// twice.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. Fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, even crippled guy in a wheelchair got sex on Friday the 13th II. Are summer camp counselors really like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without even looking at those lists -- yet -- I've got 4 of the biggest Oscar snubs of all time:

All four movies that "Rocky" beat out for Best Picture in '76. No knock on "Rocky" as a film, as it was definitly great, but better than "All The Presiden't Men", "Taxi Driver", "Network" and "Bound For Glory"?

Getthafuckouttahere!

Also, since it's on topic, I'll be an Entertainment Weekly subscriber 'till I die. Perfect reading material for when one's on the shitter.
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; February 23rd, 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by xpacnumber1fan View Post

Too mature for me at the time. I was barely 8 when I started watching wrestling.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to have been an abundance of one-time-only reunion shows over the last few years. To The Manor Born, The Royle Family, Mult-Coloured Swap Shop, Tiswas, and now plans for The Frost Report. I suppose it beats coming up with new ideas.
    It's not really a new thing as tv reunion shows/movies have been done for ever, with everyone from The Brady Bunch to Growing Pains to Gunsmoke and even Baywatch having little one off shows for tv. Gunsmoke had what, 5 tv movies after the series finished? Ridiculous.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without even looking at those lists -- yet -- I've got 4 of the biggest Oscar snubs of all time:

All four movies that "Rocky" beat out for Best Picture in '76. No knock on "Rocky" as a film, as it was definitly great, but better than "All The Presiden't Men", "Taxi Driver", "Network" and "Bound For Glory"?

Getthafuckouttahere!

Also, since it's on topic, I'll be an Entertainment Weekly subscriber 'till I die. Perfect reading material for when one's on the shitter.
    Snub as in "should have been nominated".

I actually like Entertainment Weekly. It was one of the best moments of Fridays in high school, sad as that might just be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I meant no sarcasm there whatsoever. Fucking love EW, it just happens to make for good shitter material because the articles tend to be pretty concise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally saw Chasing Amy. Great movie. A classic to me as it was a great romantic comedy and Joey Lauren Adams was really really good in it.

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chasing Amy is my second favorite Kevin Smith movie, behind Dogma. The opening is one of my favorite scenes from movies period.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favorite movie of all time.

Absolutely phenomenally written.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Kingdom is a quality fucking movie.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely forgot about the greatness of Silk Stalkings. It was always great for a soft core sex scene before the days of high speed internet made that kinda stuff easier to access.

Going back to the Walker Texas Ranger post, I remember for years Walker reruns would be on just before Raw, cause I would remember before the opening Raw music we would get to the the classic Walker theme song

In the Eyes of a Ranger
    The unsuspecting stranger
    Had better know the truth of wrong from right

Cause the eyes of the Ranger are upon you
    Any wrong you do he's gonna see

When you're in Texas look behind you
    Cause thats where the Rangers gonna be

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I'd just like to once again confirm that Wedding Crashers is brilliant, Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson are two of my favourite people ever, and Rachael McAdams is bloody lovely.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wedding Crashers was funny the first time around, but the movie is not very rewatchable in my opinion. For a comedy its far too long and the second half of the movie just isnt that funny.

Go watch Swingers for Vince Vaughn at his best.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I've seen it about 8 times now. I love it.

Yeah, I'm a massive homosexual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Finally saw Chasing Amy. Great movie. A classic to me as it was a great romantic comedy and Joey Lauren Adams was really really good in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Chasing Amy is my second favorite Kevin Smith movie, behind Dogma. The opening is one of my favorite scenes from movies period.
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecutioner View Post
    Favorite movie of all time.

Absolutely phenomenally written.

I find Kevin Smith to be woefully overrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people do. People either love him or hate him it seems.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Boombastic View Post
    Wedding Crashers was funny the first time around, but the movie is not very rewatchable in my opinion. For a comedy its far too long and the second half of the movie just isnt that funny.

Go watch Swingers for Vince Vaughn at his best.
    Swingers > Wedding Crashers for sure, but Wedding Crashers is still a great movie!

If no one has read Harlan Coben get out there and buy his books. I just read Tell No One and I read The Innocent before that, both great novels but read Tell No One for sure.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mallrats is cool, I don't care what anybody says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Chasing Amy was boring as fuck. Then again I find a lot of Smith's films to be boring and pandering to geeks. I do like Dogma, Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back but only in doses. He's not that good

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is pretty overrated, isn't he?

I like Clerks and Mallrats well enough, but the rest of his stuff isn't so hot. Dogma's ok, but I hated Chasing Amy and Jay and Silent Bob was just gay.

Plus, he made Jersey Girl. That's damn near unforgivable in my book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to think that he's got a sense of humour that is not particularly intelligent and is very specific towards Americans. The only real Brits that I know who like him are the fanboy ones (another big target group for him) who wish that they were American and love all American things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever met a woman that likes Kevin Smith. His humor or his movies.

The only people I know that love Kevin Smith are fanboys, too. I don't think that's another big target group for him. It is his target group.

Although, I must say after working in a video store for about 5 years, Clerks is pretty much dead on in terms of day to day occurences as well as the dumb shit you find to talk about with your co-workers.

I mean, one of my coworkers actually tried to tell me that the first Becky on Roseanne was hotter than the second Becky. Of course, this is the same idiot that tried to tell me Robocop could beat the Terminator in a fight and that Pee Wee's Big Adventure wasn't one of the 10 greatest movies ever made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can anyone not love Dogma?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Kevin Smith to be woefully overrated.
    I didn't say anything about him either way, mate.

I found that one movie to be wonderfully written, and fair enough to you if you do not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in pain watching last week's episode. Absolutle shite.

It's common sense that you don't just randomly introduce an un-known character and revolve a whole episode around her when she's probably not going to have any further impact on the series, an the actual storyline was awful anyway.

Getthafuckouttahere!
    Also, consider that Dog Day Afternoon and Nashville didn't even recieve nominations, and it makes it seem like even more of an in-justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Plus, he made Jersey Girl. That's damn near unforgivable in my book.
    I really don't see anything wrong with Jersey Girl. I thought it was a solid effort from someone who was working way outside of his usual mode of film. The relationships established throughout the film were fine, and the actual message and character motivations worked in making what I thought was a nice feel good film.

The only reason I can see for it getting as much shit as it does is the whole Affleck/Jlo rubbish, especially on the back of Gigli, and she's in it Jersey Girl for like 10 minutes.

I tend to think that he's got a sense of humour that is not particularly intelligent and is very specific towards Americans. The only real Brits that I know who like him are the fanboy ones (another big target group for him) who wish that they were American and love all American things.
    I LOVE British humour and usually cannot stand a lot of American humour, find most American sitcom incredibly hard to watch (bar Curb Your Enthusiasm which is awesome), but I like most of Smith's films, and particualrly love both Clerks movies. The banter and dialogue between Randall and Dante just reminds me of the typical sort of conversations I have with my mates. I introduced the film to a lot of my mates and they all agreed.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently watched Speed - I hadn't seen it in a long time, so I got a real kick out of it.

Howard Payne is just a guilty pleasure as the bad guy. It's also one of those movies where I find the liberal use of the word "Fuck" to be absolutely hilarious.

"Oh! In two hundred years we've gone from "I regret but I have one life to give for my country" to "Fuck you!"?

"Fuck me!" (Jack, after having a look at the bomb under the bus)
    ".......oh darn!" (Stephens, relaying Jack's message to Harry)

Jack: "You FUCK!" (after Payne tells him about Harry)

Harry: "You fuck!" (after Jack shoots him in the leg)

"You're fired. Everybody's FUCKING fired!" (Mac, after learning that the bridge isn't finished)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecutioner View Post
    I didn't say anything about him either way, mate.

I found that one movie to be wonderfully written, and fair enough to you if you do not.
    I dont recall saying 'I completely disagree with edgecutioner, I find Kevin Smith to be over-rated'. This is a thread rambling on Movies/TV/Books. I took three consecutive threads talking about a topic and then rambled on that same topic.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    The Clerks films are great stuff. Dogma was alright, like. Jay & Silent Bob was funny when I was 12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Jay & Silent Bob was funny when I was 12.
    That's American comedy. Will Ferrel is shit, but is funny because we still believe we are/hope we are 12. He'll still make an incredible amount of cash based solely on the fact that it's stupid humor. Heaven forbid we have a comedy that goes "over the head" of most. And no we don't need another spoof.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jersey Girl is fantastic.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    The Clerks films are great stuff. Dogma was alright, like. Jay & Silent Bob was funny when I was 12.
    I agree, I was never a huge fan of Jay and Silent Bob. I don't think it is so called "12 year old, toilet humor" that turns me off because I am a fan of Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore and those for sure have dumb, 12 year old jokes in them. I don't know what I did not like about Jay and SB?

Dogma is amazing though. I loved that movie when it came out and I still can watch it and enjoy. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are golden!

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay and SB is more an indulgence than an actual "movie". Good for over-the-top reactionary stuff at any moment. Dogma is concrete genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dogma is certainly my favourite Kevin Smith film.

Ooh he's written it down.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching American Psycho (for the first time ) Christ, Bale is an absolute demon (like I needed anymore convincing). Love the phone call to his lawyer. Ahaha.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is going really well.

The past few nights have seen me on a movie binge, so ill give a brief review of what Ive watched. A lot of the films have oddly enough come up in discussion the past few pages too.

Wedding Crashers: First time I had seen it, really enjoyable, funny stuff. Far too long however, really died a bit towards the end until Will Ferell made an appearence.

Creep: Absolute shite

Happy Gilmore: And old classic, still find it funny today. Sandler is overrated to fuck though.

Battle Royale: Immense, gruesome, intense and frightning, great ball-busting film.

The family guy move: is what it is

There will be blood: Should be required viewing, Daniel Day Lewis is the modern generations Pacino/De niro, phenomenal.

Ive watched a lot of films this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about "Dogma" as opposed to the rest of Smith's catalog is that all the rest of it, whether you're a fan or not, is unquestionably brainless humor, whereas some of the ideology that he passes along to the viewer in "Dogma" actually causes many to think, most notably the monologue about the 18 year gap in the Bible.

I'd consider myself a Smith fan, but by no means a die-hard like so many others. "Jersey Girl" I didn't care for much at all, and "Clerks 2" was what it was, that being a sequel that came out a good decade too late minus so many of the elements that made the original so good. Still had its moments, of course, but a disappointment overall.

I do enjoy the rest of his catalog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLARE View Post
    This thread is going really well.

So dont ruin it by turning it into a mini 'review of the latest film I've seen' thread.

There will be blood: Should be required viewing, Daniel Day Lewis is the modern generations Pacino/De niro, phenomenal.
    Daniel Day Lewis is not 'this generation', he is closer to Pacino and De Niro's generation than he is of 'this' generation. You're looking at Bale, McAvoy, Gordon-Levitt, Gosling etc as being the newest generation of actors. Though in fairness at 52, his generation consists more of the likes of Viggo Mortensen and George Clooney, two of his fellow nominees this year.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Viggo could go down in the history books as the best of all time if he keeps playing his cards right. He is just so good that it is fucking scary.

Really looking forward to him playing Edgar Allan Poe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's certainly made it pretty apparant that you won't be seeing him in any subpar works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His run of virtuoso performances since the beginning of The Lord of the Rings trilogy has been exceptional.

Aragorn was possibly the deepest and most interesting character who stretched over the three LotR films.

Frank Hopkins in Hidalgo was nothing special.

Tom Stall in A History of Violence is one of the most superb character roles I have ever seen.

Altariste the film was nothing special, but his role of Diego Alatriste y Tenorio was an excellent example of someone inhibiting a role.

Nikolai in Eastern Promises was an utterly chilling role and if it was a critically popular director, I'd have ranked Viggo as a favourite for the Oscar.

Upcoming roles in Appaloosa, The Road and Poe all seem like they may be awards worthy.

Really, there is only Christian Bale who can touch him at the moment (and possibly McAvoy coming into the mix with a couple more deep roles) for varied and interesting consistent and regular performances.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    you know what annoys me, yet entertains me at the same time? Movie censorship. I'm watching Crash on TV right now.

Original line : get on your knees and suck my motherfucking dick.

Censored line: get on your knees and suck my motherhumping rump.

bwahaha, this shit owns.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Viggo is the Daddy. His upcoming roles could well transform his reputation from 'pretty bloody good' to 'one of the best around'. I just cannot see The Road being anything other than absolutely incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know a site that reviews commentaries?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a good one.
    Last edited by Ricky; February 24th, 2008 at 2:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wild Bunch is incredible.
    It's level of violence puts an decent John Woo film or more recent turds like Shoot Them Up in the dust. Then there's the other level of animals, civilians and children being caught up in the crossfire which others don't even contemplate. It wasn't just good for it's day, it's good for the present.
    The characters are all pretty colourful and have their motives that drive the plot along, that of coming-of-old-age thieves trying to make one last score whilst a group of bounty hunters try and do the same by taking out the wild bunch, all the while aware that times are a changing and life won't ever be the same as it was.
    Probably just under The Good, The Bad & The Ugly for the best western ever made.

I was also looking through what books I might get next, liked the look of the following but was hoping for an opinion on them from someone human:
    The Road To Gandolfo - Robert Ludlum
    The Matarese Circle - Robert Ludlum
    The Bourne Supremacy - Robert Ludlum
    The Ipcress File - Len Deighton
    The Iliad/The Odyssey - Homer
    Child Of God - Cormac McCarthy
    Running Dog - Don Delillo
    Clearly I was in the mood for a spy thriller when I looked these up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    you know what annoys me, yet entertains me at the same time? Movie censorship. I'm watching Crash on TV right now.

Original line : get on your knees and suck my motherfucking dick.

Censored line: get on your knees and suck my motherhumping rump.

bwahaha, this shit owns.
    Crash is terrible. Why watch it censored... or at all. It's contrived and feels like it was written by a committee of 14 year olds. Worst Oscar winner in history.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Organasm View Post
    Child Of God - Cormac McCarthy
    Running Dog - Don Delillo
    Excellent stuff. Have you read any other McCarthy/DeLillio books?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Crash is terrible. Why watch it censored... or at all. It's contrived and feels like it was written by a committee of 14 year olds. Worst Oscar winner in history.
    It was the only thing on!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Crash is great. Ludacris was the shizzle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If Don Cheadle were to get into an actual car crash, do you think he would start babbling contrived bull shit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Crash is terrible..Worst Oscar winner in history.
    "American Beauty" probably has something to say about that comment, as would the aforementioned "Rocky" -- at least "Crash" only had "Brokeback" as realistic competition (and all along you knew the Academy wouldn't have the balls to award "the gay cowboy movie" as its Best Picture), whereas as we've already noted, "Rocky" beat out at least a half dozen superior films.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLARE View Post
    Battle Royale: Immense, gruesome, intense and frightning, great ball-busting film.
    That movie is pure fucking genuis. One of my favorites. A friend recommended it to me a while back so I got it off of Netflix and watched it, Amazing! If you have not seen it, def get around to that.

Just watched The Bourne Idenity yesterday, I know I am a bit overdue here, but that movie is the shit. I can not beleive I missed out for that long. I went and bought the whole Bourne collection and plan on watching in my free time this week.

Also, is No Country For Old Men worth buying or should I just rent it. I just bought Gone Baby Gone and The Bourne series so I am a little low on money but if its worth it im in.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    It's worth buying.