User Tag List

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anybody point me towards some great one take sequences from films? I'm looking for epic ones with great scale or intensity. I need some for my film studies.

Children of Men, Atonement and Oldboy are obviously the best examples that I have. Was just wondering if someone can bring some other cool ones to my attention. There are probably ones in films I've seen that I'm wasn't aware were just one take.

Edit: Wow, I should have read up a little bit. Scary. Ha. The discussion only grabbed my attention as I was scrolling back up.
    Last edited by Bad Obsession; March 11th, 2008 at 3:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are making a Crank 2.

Starring Jason Statham.

AS CHEV CHELIOS.

And yes, it takes place AFTER Crank 1.

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Obsession View Post
    Can anybody point me towards some great one take sequences from films? I'm looking for epic ones with great scale or intensity. I need some for my film studies.

Children of Men, Atonement and Oldboy are obviously the best examples that I have. Was just wondering if someone can bring some other cool ones to my attention. There are probably ones in films I've seen that I'm wasn't aware were just one take.

Edit: Wow, I should have read up a little bit. Scary. Ha. The discussion only grabbed my attention as I was scrolling back up.
    You should look into Paul Thomas Anderson movies. Notably, Boogie Nights has a few amazing one-take shots, including the very first shot, which introduces pretty much everything in the movie. Magnolia has a big one in the game show studio, which is about three minutes long.

Also, maybe it's not as long or as chaotic, but I haven't seen many more poignant one-take scenes than the final scene of Truffaut's "The 400 Blows."

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezaTap View Post
    They are making a Crank 2.

Starring Jason Statham.

AS CHEV CHELIOS.

And yes, it takes place AFTER Crank 1.
    What the hell? How are they going to do that?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IT WAS ALL A DREAM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    In Crank 2, Chelios will face a Chinese mobster who has stolen his nearly indestructible heart and replaced it with a battery-powered heart that requires regular jolts of electricity to keep working.
    What the fuck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank was amazing. Crank 2: HIGH VOLTAGE sounds arguably better than the first.

Statham not taking himself seriously in the absolute slightest =

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one.

Weekend by Jean-Luc-Goddard has a ten minute tracking scene along a traffic congested road. Absolutely MENTAL film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran across this recently, an email I wrote a year or so ago about my experience on the Dr. Phil show - thought some of you might find it amusing (or not):

Subject: Dr. Phil is good for one thing:

A free trip to Hollywood!

Back in 2003, I was reading on his webpage how they were looking for parents who were "concerned about their children's development" and, at the time, I was. My daughter was 9 months old and doing everything late (like 4 - 5 months after other babies her age, which is a huge difference at that age). I wrote them how I was concerned and, within 2 days, they were calling on the phone asking me if I could fly out that Monday to be on the show. Uhhh, sure? I took my mother-in-law and daughter with me. They flew us to Hollywood and put us up in a gorgeous hotel that was one block over from the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They also gave us a $500 food voucher for the hotel's room service. Seriously, how much did they think we were going to eat? We did manage to put away about $150 between the 3 of us, it's easy to do when a Continental Breakfast is $15.

As far as the actual show went, I wasn't on the stage but I was in the front row and did speak to Dr. Phil on the air. They taped it in August 2003 and didn't air it until September 2004. Want to hear what his "expert"'s advice was to me? "All kids grow in their own time, she'll be fine".

Are you shitting me? I already knew that. Thanks for wasting my time - but thanks for the free trip! On top of that, Dr. Phil mispronounced my daughter's name on air in front of millions of people. Her name is Shanley (Shan-Lee, rhymes with Stanley) but he called her Shane-Lee. Dumbass.

P.S. The worst part was what happened after the show: we got to have our pictures taken with Dr. Phil. My mother-in-law was on his right and I was on his left. Right before they were about to take the picture, I took over to smile at my MIL - and Dr. Phil is looking down her shirt. God damn pervert.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw The Other Boleyn Girl today. It was decent, but they clearly cut a lot of scripted and shot material out because the editing was kind of jarring at times and plot strands were left unfinished, to the point where I imagine anyone who didn't read the book will be rather confused. The acting, costumes, and overall atmosphere were all very good though. Just a shame they seemed to cut at least a half hour of material for no apparent reason. It really damages what could have been a very good film.

But something I noticed, and have noticed at just about every film I've seen in the UK for the past couple of years, is that it didn't take up the whole screen. There seems to always be a 6 foot gap of darkness at either side of the screen whenever I see a film in the UK. Any idea why this is? It's not like the picture is cropped, we see everything, though the edges blur into the dark patches. But it's not as wide as it used to be. Last film I remember using the whole screen was The Return of the King.

This is just the UK, mind, over in the US any film I've seen has been the right size for the screen itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dirty, dirty secret obsession.

America's Best Dance Crew.

I don't even like dancing. I hate every other show so far like this; So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing W/ The Stars, etc. But something about this show hooks me in. I can't help it.

Kaba Modern and Jabbawockees will be the final two. Look 'em up on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.

I figured I'd put this in here. I had to get it out, but now I can move on in peace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel bad - I love it too... KM & JW have been an obvious final 2 since the very beginning.

ETA: Despite all their dances, I still love each groups' first dances we seen in the live audition.

JW: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OfB0HzPFeQw

KM: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fatPWNS0Kgg
    Last edited by Annette; March 12th, 2008 at 8:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a great one take sequence from 'The Protector'. It's probably the most impressive fight sequence I've ever seen. I'm not entirely sure if you could class it as 'epic' as I assume you mean huge environments with stunning details in the shot, but this is just technically amazing.

Bear in mind it's older than religion so you might've seen it, it's just a tip to help you out anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXIGP...eature=related

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gridiron Gang is pretty good if you just fast foward most of the dialogue.

Ooh he's written it down.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Once the other night. Nice little film, fantastic music. (it won the Oscar for Best Original Song)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Here's a great one take sequence from 'The Protector'. It's probably the most impressive fight sequence I've ever seen. I'm not entirely sure if you could class it as 'epic' as I assume you mean huge environments with stunning details in the shot, but this is just technically amazing.

Bear in mind it's older than religion so you might've seen it, it's just a tip to help you out anyway.

I can work that in perfectly, actually.
    Cheers guys.

On the topic of Crank 2, I thought the first was ace so as long as the sequel has some really OTT stuff like it then I'll be happy.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

he wants his elephant back baaaaad

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I steal cable View Post
    Gridiron Gang is pretty good if you just fast foward most of the dialogue.

Its incredibly by the numbers, but good for what it is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that new Hulk trailer is kinda cool. Still looks fake as shit as he did in the first, but the battle with him and that Sandman looking thing at the end looks fun. Great cast too. Didn't know Tim Roth was in it.

Still not as amped as I am for Iron Man or Dark Knight.
    Last edited by Ace Rockola; March 13th, 2008 at 7:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watch "Tin Man" that was on the Sci-Fi channel back on December? I just got it yesterday thanks to NetFlix and watched 2/3 of it today. It's basically a sci-fi modern spin on Wizard of Oz and featured Zooey Deschanel, Alan Cumming, Neal McDonough, Richard Dreyfuss and others. It hasn't been too bad so far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/69...tandardformat/

This looks terrifying. That part with Liv in the kitchen is absolutely chilling.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You scare easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

This looks terrifying. That part with Liv in the kitchen is absolutely chilling.
    You're a bit silly sometimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It terrified me until I realised it was just a guy in a ski-mask. Bleh. That's not very scary. What I want is a film that just has random stuff, figures and objects constantly floating around the scenes, unseen by characters much of the time and just a little quick for you to quite focus on, but you know it's there and your imagination tells you all sorts of things. Well, not constantly or you'd get used to it, but you know what I mean.

That's what I thought it was at first, a disembodied head just floating through the door, but then I saw more clearly. Dang.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Anyone watch "Tin Man" that was on the Sci-Fi channel back on December? I just got it yesterday thanks to NetFlix and watched 2/3 of it today. It's basically a sci-fi modern spin on Wizard of Oz and featured Zooey Deschanel, Alan Cumming, Neal McDonough, Richard Dreyfuss and others. It hasn't been too bad so far!
    Yeah I watched it. I found most of the acting to be sub-par. The plot was decent enough and I enjoyed the whole thing. But...wasn't that blown away.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get your head out of your ass. Fucking really, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was creepy.

On other things, I just finished Gone Baby Gone. Brilliant stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Yeah I watched it. I found most of the acting to be sub-par. The plot was decent enough and I enjoyed the whole thing. But...wasn't that blown away.
    Yeah, I just finished it up today and it was OK - had potential but a lot of it was wasted. For one thing, I can't stand Kathleen Robertson and I don't buy her acting at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kathleen Robertson = Claire from "90210", right? (yeah, 'twas a guilty pleasure -- we've all got 'em)

She was pretty easy on the eyes sometimes, but yeah, not a good actress whatsoever.

Then again, she was a featured player on the show that fired Hilary fucking Swank and prominently featured Tori Spelling for a full decade, so acting ability pretty clearly meant fuck-all anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That be the one. Damn her and her stupid tit monkeys!! (Like in the original WOO, there were flying monkeys in this one... they popped out of Kathleen's boobs whenever she needed them, you can see the tattoos in the picture).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see she's still got the whole "sometimes hot, sometimes not" thing going for her, anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and, ironically enough, quite possibly some stable work lined up.

Due in no small part to the resurgence in mainstream popularity Jennie Garth and Ian Ziering have recieved since their appearances on ABC's "Dancing With The Stars", "Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas is in negotiations to create a spin-off/follow-up series to the popular 90's series "Beverly Hills, 90210" for the CW, featuring as much of the original series' cast as he can sign, most of whom, according to Thomas "have expressed serious interest".

OF COURSE THEY HAVE -- what the fuck else are any of them not named Hilary Swank actually doing with themselves these days other than dancing and spitting out kids?

What truly makes this the dumbest idea ever is the fact that most of that cast looked far too old to be in high school or college nearly 20 years ago. I'm guessing the series would pick up with them all in their early-to-mid-30's. Few of them actually are, and some aren't even close -- I'm looking at you, "Andrea".

I'd think TV is now officially out of new ideas, but sooner than later, "Who Wants To Make A Deal To Kill Their Brother?" and "That 90's Show" will prove me wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck you, dude. 90210 was hilarious! I'll be all over that shit if Dylan comes back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... I hope they manage to clean up Luke Perry, he's looking every one of his 42 years - and then some.

He used to be hot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Fuck you, dude. 90210 was hilarious! I'll be all over that shit if Dylan comes back.
    As you may recall, Dylan did come back, and I don't think anyone was all over that shit.

Luke Perry as a dark minister on "OZ" was one of the most unintentionally hilarious characters ever.

If they insist on doing this, then I insist that they must leave the cheezy theme song alone. No "new millenium remix" bullshit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yes! That song was sah-weet. They should just make a Brenda show. Goldmine.

Jesus. Dylan looks pretty long in the forehead.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody here hear of a movie called Funny Games? The girl I'm seeing right now pushed it on me and quite frankly I had zero idea what it was. I'm not sure if it was GOOD, but it was fun as shit.

And I never really noticed Naomi Watts before, but, hey now.

PurePlayer
    Yeah I actually just saw preview for it a couple days ago. It was the first and only time I saw a commercial for it. I actually thought it looked decent enough for a watch. May have to check it out.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watching Wayne world's 2 now, man I forgot how awesome this movie is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, the sequel gets so overlooked, it's amazing.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I watched all the Lord of the Ring movies as they came out in theaters, and I was really underwhelmed, just stumbled across my unopened copy of Fellowship of the Ring, just wondering if maybe it'd be worth my time to give them another chance maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rockola View Post
    Anybody here hear of a movie called Funny Games? The girl I'm seeing right now pushed it on me and quite frankly I had zero idea what it was. I'm not sure if it was GOOD, but it was fun as shit.
    It's really getting a lot of good reviews now, and the trailer I saw for it looked really entertaining. Probably the next movie I'll go see in the theatre.

Should do fairly well, too, as in addition to the critical acclaim and the big-ish television ad campaign, the trailer has been attatched to some of the bigger new DVD releases. It opens the "Michael Clayton" DVD, if memory serves.

Also, since at the very least Ace will be glad to hear it (and really, all the rest of you should as well) the DVD release date for Walk Hard : The Dewey Cox Story has been set for April 8th.

Being a big enough fan of music where I actually got and appreciated a bunch of the references that I've no doubt flew right over the heads of many and a fan of effective "spoof" movies as well, I fucking loved this movie. What's more, the original trailer for it is absolutely riddled with scenes that weren't in the movie (and in many cases don't make any sense to those who have seen it) so I've got no doubt this'll be a disc loaded with special features.

Didn't fare well at the box office - at all. The DVD release is more than likely going to be a completely different story. Put it on your Netflix lists now, you shouldn't be disappointed.
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; March 16th, 2008 at 1:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a damn shame Walk Hard didn't do well at the box office. It was terrific. It must have been utterly loaded with references though, since I got a huge number myself despite having only a rudimentary knowledge of the music scene and its history. I saw Walk On of course so the references to that were obvious but I got a load more as well.

Even my girlfriend, who has very little interest in music, found it really funny.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you guys liked precisely because you aren't that in to music?

Most people I know thought it was shit.

Of course, I then read ROB's post after I posted this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that it looked utterly dire. Dont know anyone who saw it. Havent heard any good things about it.

I'm surprised to hear that this might not be the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike
    That's a damn shame Walk Hard didn't do well at the box office. It was terrific. It must have been utterly loaded with references though, since I got a huge number myself despite having only a rudimentary knowledge of the music scene and its history.
    That's the thing -- in a movie absolutely riddled with musical references of all different kinds, for every blatant one, there were another two that were substantially more subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    I thought that it looked utterly dire.
    I'm not entirely convinced that wasn't the point for some reason -- the trailer and promos were so far from the actual film itself that I'm led to actually wonder why. Perhaps they were trying to let the Apatow name alone sell this film while giving absolutely nothing away. If so, the latter part of such a plan worked, the former didn't whatsoever.

IMDB voters rank it at a 7/10 and Rotten Tomatoes scores it at 75%, which is pretty much in line if a small smidge lower than the bulk of the critical reviews I'd seen for it prior to its release...the Entertainment Weekly consensus of 12 of the top American film critics (and themselves) was a B-, probably about what I'd rate the theatrical release myself if removing my pro-music bias from the equation.

The biggest, and by far the most prevelant knock on the film from both viewers and critics is that "it's not as good as 40 Year Old Virgin/Knocked Up/Superbad", but that's in some way their own faults -- this is a different kind of movie altogether than the rest of the Apatow franchise and probably shouldn't have been held up to the same standards. Second biggest knock is that it lags toward its finish in the final third, which I can't really disagree with whatsoever.

Others seem to think that someone other than Reilly - Will Ferrell in particular - would have made for a better actor to cast in the lead role, but I couldn't disagree with that more.

The DVD looks quite promising -- the soundtrack itself was quite funny, the length of the film led me to believe that there'd have to be countless deleted scenes, and again, with the trailer being so purposely bizarre, misleading and riddled with definite outtakes, there'll be tons of side material.

Even those I know who knocked the movie didn't flat-out trash it, and they all weren't without things that they liked about it. Its critical detractors were similar in their semi-bad reviews, but those were outnumbered by reviews that were either good or good-leaning.

PurePlayer
    edit
    Last edited by PurePlayer; March 16th, 2008 at 5:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Watching Wayne world's 2 now, man I forgot how awesome this movie is.
    Saw that earlier as well. Couldn't stop laughing at the Del bits.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Shoot 'Em Up for the first time last night and I thought it was a really fun movie. Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti were both awesome in it, and the shooting scenes were so ridiculously over the top that we couldn't stop laughing.

Also saw Hitman, and it's probably just because I went into that film with really low expectations, but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. It still wasn't anywhere close to being a good movie, and I still wish that someone else had been cast as Agent 47, but it was a decent way of passing a couple of hours.

Also rented Gone Baby Gone and 30 Days of Night, so I'll watch them in the next day or two. I wanted to get No Counrty for Old Men, but all the copies were already gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Netflix members know the new release trick? It's pretty simple, and should remain effective just as long as the entire world doesn't figure it out.

As a very good example, "Atonement" comes out on DVD this Tuesday. Since it takes at least a day to get you a movie via the mail, however, Netflix is able to ship new releases the day before they are released. In order to (all but) guarantee yourself a copy of new releases, don't send one of your movies back until the previous Saturday. It'll arrive at your Netflix distributor Monday and be replaced by the new release that's atop your queue -- in this week's case, that being "Atonement", which would arrive in your mailbox on its first date of actual release.

Try it and you'll avoid having to wait a few weeks for brand new releases. It's worked for me every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've been taking advantage of that trick for a while now. If things work out, they should be sending me "I Am Legend" tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had any sense, they'd be sending you Atonement instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    If you had any sense, they'd be sending you Atonement instead.
    It's on the list, just not high priority - was the book better than the movie? I couldn't finish the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it wasnt. The movie was better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    No, it wasnt. The movie was better.
    In that case, I'll bump it up and get that along with "I Am Legend" tomorrow. I didn't care for the book at all and since it's usually a case of "the book is better than the movie", I was just going to wait a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    So I watched all the Lord of the Ring movies as they came out in theaters, and I was really underwhelmed, just stumbled across my unopened copy of Fellowship of the Ring, just wondering if maybe it'd be worth my time to give them another chance maybe.
    Totally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyways: Did anyone watch So You Think You Can Dance over the summer?

I was bored and checking out some of the older auditions and dances - I think this is still my absolute favorite audition to date, hip hop dancer Phillip Chbeeb: http://youtube.com/watch?v=M7m_eTXNv4Y

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody else been watching Free Radio on VH1? Jesus Christ, that show cracks me up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitly pretty funny, yeah.

VH1 seems to have this inexplicable power over myself, my family, my girlfriend and the majority of the people I know -- if they air it, it truly does not matter how shitty it is, I'll watch it at least once, so it's good that "Free Radio" is legitimatly entertaining.

No excuse for the fact that I'm watching "Rock Of Love" right now, though. Seriously, none. Can't blame my girlfriend, because she's at her sister's house. Can't blame a lack of anything else to watch, because I've probably got over 200 channels and God only knows how many DVDs. There's certainly plenty of other shit I could be doing.

Man, this is pretty bad. I think I am hooked on "CelebReality".

Except for shows involving Scott Baio and Chris & Adrianna. That's kind of like a junkie trying to justify his habit by saying that he only shoots up every day but Tuesday, during which he snorts, though, isn't it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right there with you. Other than Charles in Charge has a baby and that stupid Brady crap, I will absolutely watch anything on that network at least once. Especially since they've stopped doing that god awful Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous junk.

I was, ironically enough, absolutely addicted to Celebrity Rehab w/ Dr. Drew.

And on an unrelated note, I want to fuck Chelsea Handler so bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero
    Oh fuck yeah -- except come on now, you're "addicted to marijuana"? Get the fuck out of here, sister that no one remembers from "Family Matters". I'm sure that there's gotta be a kid from "Just The Ten Of Us" who's got bigger issues than you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would bring back "Pop-Up Video"! I watch the older ones on VH1 Classic but some new stuff would be entertaining.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    Oh fuck yeah -- except come on now, you're "addicted to marijuana"? Get the fuck out of here, sister that no one remembers from "Family Matters". I'm sure that there's gotta be a kid from "Just The Ten Of Us" who's got bigger issues than you...
    Yeah, that chick was lame. She's sitting next to that benzo freak from Grease and that American Idol girl all complaining about smoking too many blunts. Give me a break. If I was any of those other people, I'd have been just like that crowd in Half Baked. "Boo this man!"

Want to know how to smoke less pot? Get a god damn hobby.

I really like Shelley, too.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and my girlfriend were hooked on this show. I'm pretty bummed that it's over. They should do a second season with new celebrities.

We watch Rock of Love sometimes too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I don't think that there's any question about whether or not "Celebrity Rehab" will be a long running show. As long as there are B-list celebrities with bad habits and the desire to get on television for a quick check, this show will continue to exist.

In other news, Bret Michaels is heartbroken...and actually a little bit pathetic too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackening View Post
    Me and my girlfriend were hooked on this show. I'm pretty bummed that it's over. They should do a second season with new celebrities.

We watch Rock of Love sometimes too.
    Oh, you know they will. There's got to be a Jeff show. Got to.

I actually can't stand Rock of Love. Bret Michaels is so lame that it actually hurts to watch. All I want to know is just how far his hairline has receded. The only reason I watch that show is the delusional hope I have that one of his gay cowboy hats will blow off his head in the wind and he'll look just like David Spade at the end of Tommy Boy.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone here watch the new show on Fox called "Unhitched"? The show is pretty funny, I just have not seen anyone mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an episode. There's good reason why no one's mentioning it - it's pretty fucking bad.

In more related news, since we've got a few fans here this could be a fun game -- predict the cast of season 2 of "Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew"

Scott Stapp - former lead singer of Creed, he's gained some substantial coverage for his drug and alcohol-related problems in recent years, and his career is pretty much at this point.

Token Former "American Idol" contestant - I see this being a recurring pattern on this program, as there are a lot of them, and while I've never watched "Idol" on account of the fact that it's one of the biggest problems with the music business today, certainly enough people do where one of the previous losing contestants who's struggling with booze and/or drugs will be recognizable...sort of...to the majority of the audience.

Sasha Mitchell - I believe that's his name, anyway. I half-jokingly mentioned "Just The Ten Of Us" earlier, and what with there being 8 child-ish actors on that program, certainly one of them must be struggling with something. I remember hearing a few years back that this guy had been charged with some sort of drug-fueled statutory rape. Beg for our forgiveness, Sasha -- if that is your real name.

Tank Abbott - MMA could be a field that they repeatedly tap into to cast this show, so who better than the guy who admitted to blowing an 8-ball and chugging a fifth of vodka before some of his biggest fights?

Corey Feldman - VH1 really seems big on cross-casting these CelebReality shows, and much like Prime Time Sitcom Kid, MMA Guy, Washed-Up Musician, and Token AI Contestant, I figure this show will always feature a former "Surreal Life"-r as well. Feldman's got the fullblown addict background plus the whole former child actor thing going for him, so he's gotta be the most likely Surreal Life-r of the bunch...though I'm not ruling out "Mini-Me" peeing in more corners by any stretch of the imagination.

Jenna Jameson - it'd be a bigger deal than Mary Carey, that's for sure, and porn stars love them some drugs and booze. Sadly, this would probably be the biggest celebrity on this show by no small margin. Maybe I can do something about that with this last slot...

Darryl Strawberry - Okay, I know it's no longer the late 80's-early 90's, but I dare say he's still the most famous currently of this bunch, and his story, which you know damned well is not finished, could prove to be the "feel-good" tale that this first season sort of failed to deliver (Bridgette Nielsen no longer smokes cigarettes, you say? Good for her, I guess. Chyna finally admits that she could possibly actually be an addict? Wow, what a revelation. That chick no one remembers "relapsed" and still smokes weed? Uh, that's too bad, I suppose...) - see, Straw's kid is now a marginally talented fringe NBA player who's likely to encounter all of the same trappings that killed Dad's potential Hall Of Fame career dead, and dimes to dollars, I'm betting Darryl's still junking it up down in Tampa. I'm frankly surprised that he never found his way into "The Surreal Life" house; this could be a pairing that fits.

Also -- special guest counselor Whichever Baldwin That Was From The First Season, Daniel I Think!

Motivational guest appearances by Jeff Conaway and Shifty From "Crazy Town"!

I'd say that Scott Weiland could be a midseason replacement for whoever flips out and leaves the show (I'm looking at you, Feldman) but he's still way too big of a star and his forthcoming 14th attempt at recovery will probably merit a CelebReality show of its own. Should, anyway. The replacement slot may very well go to a former pro wrestler...

Hey yo...we know who you are, and we do know why you're here. Take over Celebrity Rehab, chico!

EDIT: I noticed that my cast is fairly male-loaded, so throw in any 2 of the following: Lindsay Lohan's mom Dina, Willa Ford, Janice Dickinson, Natasha Lyonne (in fact, go ahead and add her to my cast right now), Rebecca Lobo (just a hunch), Tammy Lynn Sytch (if Scott Hall is, in fact, unavailable) and Monica.
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; March 17th, 2008 at 9:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sasha Mitchell - I believe that's his name, anyway. I half-jokingly mentioned "Just The Ten Of Us" earlier, and what with there being 8 child-ish actors on that program, certainly one of them must be struggling with something. I remember hearing a few years back that this guy had been charged with some sort of drug-fueled statutory rape. Beg for our forgiveness, Sasha -- if that is your real name.

Tank Abbott - MMA could be a field that they repeatedly tap into to cast this show, so who better than the guy who admitted to blowing an 8-ball and chugging a fifth of vodka before some of his biggest fights?
    I don't know that I'd want to rehab either one of these guys. Tank is nuts, and Sasha Mitchell appeared to be getting a bit better at Thai kickboxing by the time his Kickboxer franchise disappeared with little to no fanfare. Although I would tune in to see Dr. Drew take an elbow to the face.

And I've been watching Unhitched. I thought it was pretty good. A bit predictable, as the genre has been done a lot on Fox. But this weeks episode was pretty good, and last week's with the escort was good times.

"She didn't even put out."

"It's not like I didn't try. He wanted to wait."

"I thought she was special."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sasha Mitchell? Isn't that the Code-man, Cody the stoner who lives in the drive way, from Step by Step? If so,

Any of those people ROB listed are good bets. Think Amy Winehouse is too famous right now for Dr. Drew?

How cool would it be if Adam Carolla made a guest appearance to make fun of all the addicts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, every time I said "Just The Ten Of Us", I actually meant "Step By Step".

Winehouse is way, waaaaaay too big for this show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way Strawberry is more famous than Jenna. The world watches Porn, baseball tries to make you think they're in the same league.

Unless this is an american tv show for which you are casting(very well might I say) then perhaps at one time his fame rivals hers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean perhaps? Of course he was more famous than her when he was playing. She was probably like 5 years old at the time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, every time I said "Just The Ten Of Us", I actually meant "Step By Step".

Winehouse is way, waaaaaay too big for this show.
    Was that a working title of the show? I had it bad for Suzanne Somers when I was a kid.

About CelebRehab: I saw Dr. Drew in an interview and he said the original premise for the show was to have the celebs and regular joe blow addicts in rehab together. He said the celebs new what to expect with the cameras and all that stuff, but that almost all the regular folks just freaked and couldn't handle it. Too bad, as I think the potential resentment that the regular people could have felt towards the celebs could have been absolutely compelling.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone that's seen Gone Baby Gone give me a quick rundown about it?
    Looks like it's a good movie and i wanna check it out, but i figure one of you movie buffs could give me some details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean perhaps? Of course he was more famous than her when he was playing. She was probably like 5 years old at the time.
    I'm talking about their peaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    Can anyone that's seen Gone Baby Gone give me a quick rundown about it?
    Looks like it's a good movie and i wanna check it out, but i figure one of you movie buffs could give me some details.
    The daughter of a Dot-rat single mother played by Amy Ryan goes missing. Casey Affleck and Michelle Moynaghan are hired to try and find her with the full cooperation of Boston Police chief Morgan Freeman and longtime cop Ed Harris. Ben Affleck directs.

That's about as detailed as I can get without spoiling anything; it's a busy movie with a lot of twists and turns, and definitly worth seeing. Everyone's quite good in it, most notably Ryan and Casey.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ROB.
    I've been seeing commercials for it, it's on demand on charter, figured i would give it a rent this weekend.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, you know they will. There's got to be a Jeff show. Got to.
    TAKE IT FUCKING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

They should get Jeff Hardy for a 2nd season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not so much a matter of Jeff Hardy being too famous for the show, as he's not, but his schedule would certainly make it an impossibility.

Furthermore, he'd probably be one of the more boring characters possible. Remove the high-flying wrestling moves and flashy ring gear, and he strikes me as a terribly, terribly boring person whose struggles viewers would find it hard to get behind.

PurePlayer
    I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again last night on one of my movie channels, and what an amazing movie this really is. As highly rated as this movie is, I think it is still an underrated movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Zodiac (the most recent one) last night. I quite liked it, a decent fairly dark film and I wasn't aware of the case in reality. I thought Mark Ruffalo was great in it too, I've not seen many of his films but I might check a few more out now.

Went on for long enough too, clocked it at about 2 and a half hours, around half an hour too long really.

Recommend it though if you like your serial killer films, but it's not a classic.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Gone Baby Gone today. Absolutely amazing film. I thought that the entire cast did a great job, and the ending to the movie just blew me away. I can't believe I didn't bother to go see this in theaters.

On an unrelated subject, I was going to buy No Country for Old Men yesterday, until I noticed that there were very few special features. A lot of times when you see this for new releases, it means that there's probably a Special Edition coming pretty soon, but I haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone know if that's the case here, or is this going to be the only version to come out (at least for a year or two)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be absolutely shocked if a Special Edition isn't already in the works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just came in here to say that I watched Bergman's Winter Light yesterday and was in awe. It's one of the most gorgeous screenplays I have ever witnessed. The usual great acting and cinematography from a Bergman film, but the concepts talked about really hit home for me. A really rich and thoughtful movie, recommended to everyone. It's basically about a pastor who begins to question his own religion and life decisions, and the pastor's character arcs are very real and very well-executed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hollywood's 6 Favorite Offensive Stereotypes: http://www.cracked.com/article_15989...ereotypes.html

Well worth the read, pretty damn funny!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Tropic Thunder Robert Downey Jr. plays a white Oscar-winning actor who plays a role, in the most expensive Vietnam movie ever made, that was originally written for a black man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the trailer for that the other day. Looks really good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Organasm View Post
    In Tropic Thunder Robert Downey Jr. plays a white Oscar-winning actor who plays a role, in the most expensive Vietnam movie ever made, that was originally written for a black man...

ahahahaha lovely casual racism. It'll be so shit it'll be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again last night on one of my movie channels, and what an amazing movie this really is. As highly rated as this movie is, I think it is still an underrated movie.
    On a Jack note, I watched The Shining the other day. I can't believe it took me so damn long to get round to watching it, because my god was it amazing. I thought it was gonna be good, but it completley exceeded by expectations in every way possible.

I'd honestly say it's the best Horror film I've ever seen, I often find the genre waaaay to generic and diluted(and I'm not talking just slasher movies), but this was something else. Amazing use of the hotel, and the use of wide shots in and around the hotel lobby, really made you feel the sense of emptiness and the haunting nature of the structure. I also loved the creepiness of the corridors, and the way in which every supernaural element was just made compleltey crazy, either by Jack's over the top acting and delivery of dialogue, or the facials that the little kid was able to convey.

I could go on and on, but I'm not writing a review, so I'll stop, but just a fucking awesome film, and I'm not sure if a horror film exists that can touch The Shining.

PurePlayer
    The Shining really is a great film. Not sure if I would call it the best of it's genre though. I would put Silence of the Lambs ahead of it.

I just got done watching the Untouchables for the first time, and I thought the movie was really good. I wouldn't call it a great movie as it doesn't come close to the level of other gangster films like Goodfellas, but I definitely recommend it to anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Disturbia last night. Good movie, and I especially liked how they threw in some light moments in the first half. Kind of gave it a different feel. I liked that feel. A lot.

I just really don't understand why the cops weren't called very early in the movie. Times in the movie when you could legitimately call the cops with little or no repurcusions:

1) When you are watching TV and it tells of a killer from location X driving a certain rare car, with a certain dent on it, and your new neighbor just moved from location X and drives said car with said dent on it.

2) When you hear screams from the neighbor's house and, upon viewing, see an apparently frantic woman running around, and red liquid is clearly visible on several of the windows.

3) When someone you know, but not very well, enters your car without permission, locks the doors, implies that he has been spying on you, and then touches your breast and you are an underage girl.

I don't mean these in the rhetorical, black comedian, "I see a muthafucka buyin' a shovel, you best believe I'm a call the police on his ass" way. I mean I really would have called them. Movie probably wouldn't have been as exciting that way though.

I was also pleasantly surprised by a couple of things. One, that they didn't go the route of "the police are in on it." I got the feeling they would with the looks some of them gave early on. Second, that they didn't go with the whole "the last ten minutes turns everything on it's head and nothing is what it seemed" that so many movies seem to be doing now. These both boil down to not over-complicating the movie. I think I saw in the info that this was a remake, and that may be why.

Other feelings:

- Instead of being depressed after the accident at the beginning of the movie, I would have lead a very optimistic existence, because I shouldn't be alive.

- The neighbor girl is absolutely delicious. I bet if her minge could speak it would surely have an Eastern European accent and would giggle incessantly.

- I would like to punch the Asian in the face. I literally stopped the movie, got up, and walked around for a few minutes at the point where he "sneaks" into the garage. Yeah, opening a garage door is fucking stealth like ninja. Seriously dude, just kiss the cell phone goodbye. Not worth getting chopped up over.

- It is now odd watching David Morse play George Washington in 'John Adams'

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't really think as far into Disturbia as that but it was a good flick. I'll go as far as to say that Disturbia ranks as my I wish I'd seen this in theatres of 2007. Specially since I DID see Spiderman 3 and god was that awful.

PurePlayer
    Spiderman 3 > Disturbia

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Spiderman 3 > Disturbia
    Not by a lot though. And if you look at which one lived up to expectations, Disturbia blew Spidey out of the water.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiderman 3>Disturbia

You must be daft.

Plan 9 From Outerspace>Spiderman 3

The Marine>Spiderman 3

White noise=Spiderman 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the first White Noise was good. Then again, I'm no horror aficionado, so perhaps I don't know any better. What was wrong with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doct1400 View Post
    Spiderman 3>Disturbia

You must be daft.

The Marine>Spiderman 3

White noise=Spiderman 3
    Haha. I just watched "Plan 9 From Outerspace" a few weeks back.

Wonderful film. Maybe a few minor gripes about continuity, but nothing really to complain about. Beautiful acting as well.

I don't really get into the Spiderman movies, or any of the superhero movies for that matter. I just feel like you kind of know what you're in for beforehand. I also feel like a lot of the love for them comes from the fight scenes and (obviously) special effects, neither of which ever appealed to me all that much.

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by doct1400 View Post
    Spiderman 3>Disturbia

You must be daft.

The Marine>Spiderman 3

White noise=Spiderman 3
    Ok I understand how someone can have the opinion of Disturbia being better than Spiderman 3 especially if you are a female teenager. But to say that the Marine and White Noise are better or equal to it? I just can't take you taste of movies very seriously. You probably think Disturbia is better than the Godfather.

I am not saying that Spiderman 3 is a good film, but I do think it was a fun time at the movies, and I enjoyed it more than I did Disturbia.