User Tag List

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you are not. I wanna be Apollo for Halloween some year if black face were acceptable.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rockola View Post
    Are we talking good movie, or great movie? Cause Rocky III is a good movie. It advances the story in a belivable way (last time til Balboa) the acting for the most part is fine and who cares how gay some of that stuff was? It was the 80s. Almost everything was gay!
    I can't disagree with any of that, but I guess I'm holding it to the standard the first two set. III was so far off from the subdued macho man kind of movies that I & II were, that it's just weird to watch.

That's also why the gay thing just threw me. It's supposed to be this intense scene with Rocky finally coming to grips with Mickey's death and moving on with his training/life, and him and Apollo are wearing tube socks pulled up to there ball sacks and playing grab ass on the beach. It's yet another random ass thing out of the left field region of Stallone's brain.

Rocky III does have the best trash talking of any of the Rocky's though, by far.

"Clubber do you have any predictions for tonight?"
    "Pain."

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    's also where the "I pity the fool" phrase was born.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it really? Wow, I didn't know that.

Was Rocky III his first gig?

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Firstly, that guy is an ass if he doesn't at least like the first Rocky.

Secondly, Rocky III (I assume you meant "III and IV I'll let you off") and Rocky IV are fucking awesome. They're not good movies by any stretch, but they are entertaining as fuck.
    Yea I meant III and IV.

And the reason I said that is because he said Sly was a lesser Arnie. But that is in no way true in the first two rocky installments as they were out and out dramas just about. In parts III and IV however, Stallone was in full blown 80's action hero mode, and it's at this point that a comparison to Arnie is a little bit more acceptable.

He is still in no way a lesser Arnie, but at least at this point in the series a comparison could possibly be made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    Yea I meant III and IV.

And the reason I said that is because he said Sly was a lesser Arnie. But that is in no way true in the first two rocky installments as they were out and out dramas just about. In parts III and IV however, Stallone was in full blown 80's action hero mode, and it's at this point that a comparison to Arnie is a little bit more acceptable.

He is still in no way a lesser Arnie, but at least at this point in the series a comparison could possibly be made
    Did you read the part where I said I was about 8 or 9 when I watched Rocky and Rambo and came to this conclusion?

Obviously I'm a bit wiser now, but like you say Stallone undeniabley transformed into an 80's action star, and as a naive kid who loved anything with Arnie, it was quite easy to come to such a conclusion.

Although still, Arnie > Stallone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    Yea I meant III and IV.

Yeah, I agree. Stallone, as a creative force in Hollywood (at least when both were far more relevant than they are today) is leaps and bounds ahead of Arnold. Arnold's great, but he does what he does and that's it.

Stallone is an Oscar winning screenwriter, I believe. Did he direct the first Rocky, as well? I don't think he did, but I want to say he directed one of them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn't direct the first Rocky, no. Directed the others though, with the exception of V.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000230/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't get why anybody would like Arnie. Terminator, sure, and maybe Predator if that's your thing, but other than that? He's absolutely awful. Just a big dude with muscles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arnie is absolutely brilliant if you're high. Eraser, for example. When sober, it's a terrible movie. When high, it's legendary.

You forgot Jingle All the Way, Obsession. Classic stuff. And Kindergarten Cop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know a lot of people that just don't get Arnie's appeal. Most of them happen to be chicks, but still. It's understandable. The guy basically does the same shit over and over.

BUT...

He's been lucky enough to work with directors who know exactly what he's capable of and exactly how to use him. One liners (if he's talking at all) and killing shit. James Cameron is a fabulous director, and blowing Arnie up to the stratosphere can be counted among the reasons as to why he's so great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    Arnie is absolutely brilliant if you're high. Eraser, for example. When sober, it's a terrible movie. When high, it's legendary.

You forgot Jingle All the Way, Obsession. Classic stuff. And Kindergarten Cop.
    IT'S NOT A TUMAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that's just the thing, I don't think he can even do one-liners. The only time he managed to talk as a character was in the Terminator role and he was meant to be an emotionless machine then. Whenever it's a film where he's meant to feel the slighest bit of emotion he comes off completely wooden and it makes somebody like Vin Diesel look like an Oscar worthy actor.

I get that he's not somebody who is meant to be judged by acting skills and just enjoyed but he's so bad I simply can't think 'wow he blew that shit up in a cool way!'

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know. I guess it's all about expectations. I expect mindless entertainment when I sit down with an Arnie flick. What about Twins, True Lies and the aforementioned Kindergarten Cop?

Those aren't great movies and Arnold doesn't put forth Olivier-esque performances, but he holds his own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True Lies would have been good, fun action film had it had any other lead actor. As it stands Arnie just ruined it for me. I didn't like the rest.

I can understand why people would tolerate him and find the roles that he does acceptable but I just have a rather deep hatred for him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like action movies in general?

And don't get me wrong, I can totally see why someone would hate Arnie. (I love how no one's even attempting his last name!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a male, of course I like them.

I don't even expect action films to be up to the standards of something like Die Hard or Lethal Weapon, either, I'm happy to put my brain down and just see lots of big explosions. I just can't stoop as low as Arnie and Van-Damme.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kindergarten Cop is fucking great. I that movie.

"Who is your Daddy and what does he do?"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Ahahaha. him.

Kindergarten Cop is one of my favourite films ever. I could literally watch it 24 hours a day and not get tired of it. That, Cool Runnings and Withnail, I am probably up for watching at any time of the day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend. One of the best pictures ever.

Has anyone seen The Running Man? How is it. I'm curious to see it considering it has the governors in it. And by governors, I mean Schwarzenegger and Ventura.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://thewhofeatarnold.ytmnd.com/

I haven't seen The Running Man in ages but I defiantly enjoyed it. That's the one where he is on the mental TV show right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Obsession View Post
    I really don't get why anybody would like Arnie. Terminator, sure, and maybe Predator if that's your thing, but other than that? He's absolutely awful. Just a big dude with muscles.
    But that's just the thing, I don't think he can even do one-liners. The only time he managed to talk as a character was in the Terminator role and he was meant to be an emotionless machine then. Whenever it's a film where he's meant to feel the slighest bit of emotion he comes off completely wooden and it makes somebody like Vin Diesel look like an Oscar worthy actor.

I get that he's not somebody who is meant to be judged by acting skills and just enjoyed but he's so bad I simply can't think 'wow he blew that shit up in a cool way!'
    Your second post quoted, for me anyway, sums up exactly why I love watching Arnie, I just find everything he does funny, and I never get bored of laughing at his awfulness.

Recently I wrote an essay where I had to choose an actor, select a 5 minute scene from one of his movies and use it to talk about their 'star status' and star signatures and stuff. I fancied a laugh and chose Arnie.

Used a scene from Total Recall and it was a complete crack up. Arnie trying to put across emotion is just the funniest thing, plus there where a couple of great one liners in there as well.

I think I enjoy Arnie so much because as a kid my aunt used to look after me a lot, and she seemed to have a bit of thing for him, and had all of his movies bar Hercules in New York and Connan.

I used to watch the Terminators, Preadator, Commando, Total Recall, Raw Deal, True Lies, Twins, The Running Man, Junior, Kindergarten Cop, Last Action Hero, and then Jingle All The Way and Eraser a few years later, almost all the time between the ages of about 7 and 12. Now as I've grown older I've seen the funny side of Arnie, and find the guy hilarious to watch, while laughing at what a fool I was as a kid, and how taken in by his movies I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Ahahaha. him.

Kindergarten Cop is one of my favourite films ever. I could literally watch it 24 hours a day and not get tired of it. That, Cool Runnings and Withnail, I am probably up for watching at any time of the day.
    I haven't seen Cool Runnings in eyars. Need to buy that soon. I love John Candy to bits. As far as films that I could watch anytime, Uncle Buck has gotta be one of them. Candy's best if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Lem View Post
    I haven't seen Cool Runnings in eyars. Need to buy that soon. I love John Candy to bits. As far as films that I could watch anytime, Uncle Buck has gotta be one of them. Candy's best if you ask me.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is also a classic. Great movie that.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Oh yeah, that's another one I could watch all day.

Running Man is great. Stephen King ffs.

Oh and Lem, Cool Runnings is on sale on Play.com right now for £2.99.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Runnings is one of the earliest films I can remember watching and I still love it.

And that's fair enough, Lem, I understand why somebody would see Arnie as somebody who is so bad they're entertaining.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post

Has anyone seen The Running Man? How is it. I'm curious to see it considering it has the governors in it. And by governors, I mean Schwarzenegger and Ventura.
    [/center]
    It's dated, but way cool. It's 80's (late 70's?), so you know there's a certain level of cheese that you must accept. That being said, some of the death scenes are bad ass. It's definitely watching at least once, if you're an Arnie fan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Runnings is one of the earliest films I can remember watching and I still love it.

And that's fair enough, Lem, I understand why somebody would see Arnie as somebody who is so bad they're entertaining.
    I used to love that movie. John Candy was the first celeb death that really made me stop and go, that sucks. Also, I thought when Doug E. Doug said that the guy's head looked like a butt was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What other John Candy films are worth watching? Obviously I know Uncle Buck, Home Alone, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Cool Runnings and Canadian Bacon, but I'm trying to think of other Candy films, and nothing is coming to my head......

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spaceballs. Little Shop of Horrors. Brewster's Millions. Splash. Stripes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good list with one omission. The Great Outdoors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    Spaceballs. Little Shop of Horrors. Brewster's Millions. Splash. Stripes.
    How could I forgot Stripes Bill Murray

I know of Splash, Spaceballs, Brewsters Millions (Walter Hill is pretty underrated) and The Great Outdoors as well actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw No Country for Old Men but fuck me what was all the fuss about? Decent flick with some enjoyable moments but the rate people have been jizzing themselves into a large pool over it has been totally ridiculous. Bardem and Brolin were superb but I wasn't that impressed with TLJ

I really liked the various shootouts though and some of the scenery, whilst fairly samey, was stunning.

Don't get me wrong I didn't hate it, far from it in fact I thought it was really good, but nowhere near the 'best film ever' many critics and people I've read in the press have been banging on about it.

I've got There Will Be Blood to watch next and people have slimed over that in equal amounts, let's see if it is that good.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best film ever? I don't know who said that, I was one of the people with a raging hard on for it, but it was only like my second or thrid favorite film of the year.

Tommy Lee Jones was great in that. It's understandable how you might be let down by him after hearing stuff though. His performance is very quiet and he doesn't have one amazing stand out scene. Minus the ending, I felt at least.

Went out tonight and saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall simply for the bennift of the doubt I give the Apatow crew. Cause the trailer is horrible. And the trailer isn't even close to the actual movie. It's no Knocked Up or Superbad, but it's still in the same style. R rated comedy with a heart. Any guy who has been in the dumped posisition by "the one" should really appreciate it.

Oh, and screw you geeks in love with Veronica Mars, after this I'm all about the dark haired chick from That 70s Show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was Russell Brand any good in it Ace?

And Mila Kunis is wonderful. She makes Meg Griffin hot. She is dating Macaulay Culkin apperantly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching The Running Man. What a gloriously cheesy mindless action flick. Not something I ever plan on watching again, but it was great.

Schwarzenegger is a beast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Saw No Country for Old Men but fuck me what was all the fuss about? Decent flick with some enjoyable moments but the rate people have been jizzing themselves into a large pool over it has been totally ridiculous. Bardem and Brolin were superb but I wasn't that impressed with TLJ

I really liked the various shootouts though and some of the scenery, whilst fairly samey, was stunning.

Don't get me wrong I didn't hate it, far from it in fact I thought it was really good, but nowhere near the 'best film ever' many critics and people I've read in the press have been banging on about it.

I've got There Will Be Blood to watch next and people have slimed over that in equal amounts, let's see if it is that good.

I doubt that either of them match the filmic magnificence of Atonement mate. You should watch that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd go:

There Will be Blood > Atonement > No Country for Old Men

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished watching There Will Be Blood. Been meaning to get around to it for a while and Vice's above statement finally motivated me to do so.

Even though I disagree that it's a better film that Atonement I did absolutely love it. It grabbed me from the very beginning having such a long period with no speech whatsoever. There was something quite powerful about just watching Daniel work and slowly build up his empire.

I have to say Daniel is definitely one of my favourite characters in recent memory too. Even though he was a bit of a bastard at times I always loved him and enjoyed seeing him struggle with his priorities. His scenes with Eli were certainly his best.

... Which is proven by that ending. I mean, just wow. It was very good up until that point but those last 10 minutes or so really elevated it to greatness. It was wonderful seeing
    Such powerful visuals.

There were points where I was starting to think it was going to drag, namely when
    but that was never really an issue. Held my interest through-out.

Top film.
    Last edited by Bad Obsession; April 19th, 2008 at 1:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I doubt that either of them match the filmic magnificence of Atonement mate. You should watch that.
    I watched Atonement a while ago and I don't why you love it so much. Mundane, forgettable wank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one for ya:

While "No Country For Old Men", "There Will Be Blood" and "Atonement" were all notably better than your typical major motion picture, they're all pretty vastly overrated.

"No Country" and "Blood" both featured knock-it-out-of-the-park performances -- "No Country" actually featured several -- and "Atonement" was visually spectacular, but all three stories as a whole seemed to lack some of whatever ingredients a film truly needs to merit the overwhelming amount of accolades all three have recieved.

Personally, I liked "Michael Clayton" better than all three. "Gone Baby Gone" as well, but I'm from Dorchester, so there's obviously bias involved there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atonement received virtually no accolades mate. One Academy Award win, virtually no acting nominations, no Director nomination, no SAG, no DGA, no ensemble cast nominations. Even on IMDB it only has the same rating as Pride and Prejudice.

It was one of the most criminally underrated films of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atonement received virtually no accolades mate...It was one of the most criminally underrated films of the year.
    You clearly don't get to watch a whole lot of American television, or read many of our newspapers/magazines.

The hype machine was running as fast and furiously for "Atonement" as it was for the other two, and probably "Juno" as well.

Furthermore, I'm not entirely certain that "Atonement" deserved many acting nominations in a year with so many superior performances, some of which went even more undernominated than those in "Atonement".
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; April 19th, 2008 at 2:37 PM.

Alf
    Atonement received virtually no accolades mate. One Academy Award win, virtually no acting nominations, no Director nomination, no SAG, no DGA, no ensemble cast nominations. Even on IMDB it only has the same rating as Pride and Prejudice.

It was one of the most criminally underrated films of the year.
    What are you talking about?

When it came out it was critically acclaimed. It didn't win many awards but the it was bummed by the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry mate, but I could JUST ABOUT understand 1 nomination for the Briony's and it was probably the right one, but none of the others in a year when Ruby Dee got nominated for a 5 minute appearance in American Gangster (and frankly Vanessa Redgrave's 5 minute appearance in Atonement was much more worthy, not nominating Knightley (in a year when Cate Blanchett should not have been nominated for The Golden Age), not nominating James McAvoy (for the second year running, despite incredible performances BOTH of which should've been nominated), in a year when George Clooney was nominated for being Geroge Clooney in Michael Clayton and not nominating an INCREDIBLE Directorial outing in a year when Jason Reitman got nominated for a rather directionless Juno (seriously the direction there was mostly absent) is ridiculous.

The reason why Atonement got so much talk is because it was the early front-runner. People were talking about it as an Oscar hit before it was released in the US due to its stunning release in the UK. For some reason it completely faded away when the awards started and became criminally underrated then. It didnt even receive the nominations, at ANY serious awards ceremony (with the BAFTAs being the one exception) it deserved, let alone the wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    What are you talking about?

When it came out it was critically acclaimed. It didn't win many awards but the it was bummed by the world.
    When it came out in the UK it was. When it came out in the US it wasnt. BEFORE it came out in the US it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry mate, but I could JUST ABOUT understand 1 nomination for the Briony's and it was probably the right one, but none of the others in a year when Ruby Dee got nominated for a 5 minute appearance in American Gangster (and frankly Vanessa Redgrave's 5 minute appearance in Atonement was much more worthy, not nominating Knightley (in a year when Cate Blanchett should not have been nominated for The Golden Age), not nominating James McAvoy (for the second year running, despite incredible performances BOTH of which should've been nominated), in a year when George Clooney was nominated for being Geroge Clooney in Michael Clayton and not nominating an INCREDIBLE Directorial outing in a year when Jason Reitman got nominated for a rather directionless Juno (seriously the direction there was mostly absent) is ridiculous.
    I can't disagree with any of the undeserved nominations you've mentioned - they are, in fact, all the major nominees of last year that bothered me the most, but it's extremely rare to me that any appearance as short as Ruby Dee's or Vanessa Redgrave's (admittedly the better perormance of the two) should ever be nominated for an award, and there are a laundry list of 2007 performances that went criminally under/unnominated that weren't associated with "Atonement", so to make cases for its actors, you've also got to make cases for several others who might very well have been more deserving.

I also can't disagree whatsoever with the fact that it should have been nominated for any and all direction awards. I'd have to think that even those who flat-out disliked "Atonement" would have to at least give it that much credit...

We're all in agreement that 2007 was a better than average year for film in general, and I think you and I agree that "Atonement" was slighted when it came time for the major awards ceremonies, we just disagree as to what degree. That's quite understandable, as you seemed to like it more than anyone I've ever had any contact with. By my own admission, you could very likely say the same about me in regards to "Gone Baby Gone", but that's a movie that it's far more difficult to make compelling arguments for the actor's performances save Amy Ryan (who should have won every award, Goddammit!) -- Casey Affleck is, in fact, from Boston, so his performance wasn't much of a stretch (though it exceeded my expectations -- his whole year did, frankly), Michelle Moygnahoweverythefuckyouspell it gave me no reason whatsoever to believe that she was (seriously, she could have at least attempted an accent. Her sister is Tom Brady's baby momma. She's likely been here quite frequently enough. Fucking try.) and was in all honesty wrong for that role, Ed Harris was good as he almost always is but in no truly overwhelming way, and Morgan Freeman was Morgan Freeman...so I suppose under the aforementioned Clooney Clause, a weak argument could be made for him.

It wasn't the easiest year to have a good movie recieve the amount of props that it was likely due, unless said movie involved Daniel Day Lewis or Javier Bardem, in which case, IMHO, said film recieved more props than it should have. This was as true of "Atonement" as it was of any other film, and you're dead right when stating that the timing of its US release was a major reason as to why, but again, it's true of many movies released last year as well.
    Last edited by RockOverBoston; April 19th, 2008 at 3:11 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    2007 was a pretty fucking great year. Just about finished up with all the notable films from the year now. For me the top three are easily Atonement, No Country and TWBB.

No Country is immense, Atonement is absolutely stunning and There Will Be Blood is one of the greatest films I have ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2007 was a pretty fucking great year. Just about finished up with all the notable films from the year now. For me the top three are easily Atonement, No Country and TWBB.
    I really do think 2006 was a way better year in comparison. 2007 seemed to be the year of overhype I found, whereas basially every aclaimed or hyped film of 2006 delivered for me. I think it's probably the strongest year of the decade so far

The Departed, Babel, Children of Men, Little Miss Sunshine, Little Children, The Prestige and Borat are all time classics if you ask me, and then you have a great host of supporting films in Blood Diamond, Letters From Iwo Jima, The Pursuit of Happiness etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget Pan's Labyrinth too. Which is totally one of my favourite films of all time now.

And on a related note, anyone who loves that film half as much as I do should check out The Devil's Backbone which is also by Del Toro. Nearly as awesome. Nearly.

But yeah, I'd rate 2006 slightly higher too.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the Devil's Backbone in school and found it to be pretty boring, for the most part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    !

I loved it. I thought it had most of the elements that made Pan's Labyrinth so wonderful but just lacked a few things to really reach the status of greatness. Del Toro really writes the characters of children very well and does a good job of putting quite a lot of fantasy ambiguity in his films. Just like in Pan's Labyrinth where you don't know of Ofelia is really from some magical land, in Backbone you're unsure if a lot of the stranger things the children are seeing are in their heads or not. I'd have to watch it again to remember all the points, but seeing the ghost etc.

I'm not saying it's one of the finest films ever made but I saw it after Pan's Labyrinth and really enjoyed it even with those expectations.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I may need to see it again then, as I watched it as sort of an 'on the side' deal in class, and might not have been paying 100% attention. i seem to remember thinking it was fairly decent, but a bit boring, but perhaps a second watching will change that and improve my opinion, as I'll be able to devote 100% attention to it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Little Miss Sunshine is amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is quite good.

Steve Carrell and Greg Kinnear were fantastic in that movie. I wouldn't mind seeing a buddy type comedy with those two as the main guys.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I both loved Little Miss Sunshine. Fantastic movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    It really is quite good.

Steve Carrell and Greg Kinnear were fantastic in that movie. I wouldn't mind seeing a buddy type comedy with those two as the main guys.
    The Grandad deserves some apreciation as well, one of the best old man roles I've seen in a long time.

Whole cast really was pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    And Paul Dano.

Obviously not as mindblowingawesome as in There Will Be Blood though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Paul Dano.

Obviously not as mindblowingawesome as in There Will Be Blood though.
    I'm still amazed that Dano wasn't up for Best Supporting Actor for There Will Be Blood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    I can't disagree with any of the undeserved nominations you've mentioned - they are, in fact, all the major nominees of last year that bothered me the most, but it's extremely rare to me that any appearance as short as Ruby Dee's or Vanessa Redgrave's (admittedly the better perormance of the two) should ever be nominated for an award, and there are a laundry list of 2007 performances that went criminally under/unnominated that weren't associated with "Atonement", so to make cases for its actors, you've also got to make cases for several others who might very well have been more deserving.

I also can't disagree whatsoever with the fact that it should have been nominated for any and all direction awards. I'd have to think that even those who flat-out disliked "Atonement" would have to at least give it that much credit...

We're all in agreement that 2007 was a better than average year for film in general, and I think you and I agree that "Atonement" was slighted when it came time for the major awards ceremonies, we just disagree as to what degree. That's quite understandable, as you seemed to like it more than anyone I've ever had any contact with. By my own admission, you could very likely say the same about me in regards to "Gone Baby Gone", but that's a movie that it's far more difficult to make compelling arguments for the actor's performances save Amy Ryan (who should have won every award, Goddammit!) -- Casey Affleck is, in fact, from Boston, so his performance wasn't much of a stretch (though it exceeded my expectations -- his whole year did, frankly), Michelle Moygnahoweverythefuckyouspell it gave me no reason whatsoever to believe that she was (seriously, she could have at least attempted an accent. Her sister is Tom Brady's baby momma. She's likely been here quite frequently enough. Fucking try.) and was in all honesty wrong for that role, Ed Harris was good as he almost always is but in no truly overwhelming way, and Morgan Freeman was Morgan Freeman...so I suppose under the aforementioned Clooney Clause, a weak argument could be made for him.

It wasn't the easiest year to have a good movie recieve the amount of props that it was likely due, unless said movie involved Daniel Day Lewis or Javier Bardem, in which case, IMHO, said film recieved more props than it should have. This was as true of "Atonement" as it was of any other film, and you're dead right when stating that the timing of its US release was a major reason as to why, but again, it's true of many movies released last year as well.
    Yeah, ok. I wont disagree with any of that.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do think 2006 was a way better year in comparison. 2007 seemed to be the year of overhype I found, whereas basially every aclaimed or hyped film of 2006 delivered for me. I think it's probably the strongest year of the decade so far

The Departed, Babel, Children of Men, Little Miss Sunshine, Little Children, The Prestige and Borat are all time classics if you ask me, and then you have a great host of supporting films in Blood Diamond, Letters From Iwo Jima, The Pursuit of Happiness etc.
    Babel? Honestly?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Babel is alright like. All time classic is a bit ridiculous though.

The Departed was good but I didn't like it as much as Infernal Affairs to be honest.

The others are all great but not on the level There Will Be Blood for me personally.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babel was an absolute chore for me to watch. The only story I gave any care or interest in was the nanny's, and even then it wasn't enough to make me enjoy the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not certain that I even "get" the Japanese girl's story at all...

And yeah, calling "Babel" an all time classic is a rather enormous stretch.

"Little Children" though -- now that's an underrated film.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babel was an absolute chore for me to watch. The only story I gave any care or interest in was the nanny's, and even then it wasn't enough to make me enjoy the film.
    Thank you. I had to watch Babel over two nights in projection, and when I went back in to watch the second half I really was questioning why. I just didn't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Grandad deserves some apreciation as well, one of the best old man roles I've seen in a long time.
    Oh, I think it's more than safe to say that Alan Arkin's performance in "Little Miss Sunshine" actually recieved more appreciation than it actually deserved.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say. It's a fun role, and Arkin plays it really well, but it's not a particularly interesting character. He's a dirty old man with a heart of gold. Yayyy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone explain the ending of No Country for me? I didn't get how Anton's dream related to the movie.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anton's dream?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I had TLJ's name wrong, Ed Tom. Sounded like Anton.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.joblo.com/berrys-a-schizo

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Halle Berry, who's been content to wallow in a hell of a lot of cinematic excrement in the last few years, is looking to get back into the indie game to gain back the Oscar street cred she shattered with the celluloid abomination that was CATWOMAN.

She's agreed to star in and produce the psychological drama FRANKIE AND ALICE. In it, she'll play a woman suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder) whose real identity is at odds with a white racist alter-personality. If this is anything like black white supremacist Clayton Bigsby then she's in for some problems.

Berry can next be seen in the John Singleton crime drama TULIA and as the titular character in another crime drama WHO IS DORIS PAYNE?
    This could be the most unintentionally hilarious movie in quite some time. I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did she just call us "niggers?"

AWESOME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babel? Honestly?
    Yeah, I really did love that film. I'm a massive fan of the director Inaritu's work, Amores Perros is one of my favourite movies of all time, and 21 Grams is also a great film if you ask me. I thought Babel was an emotionally great film, it really drew me in to each one of the individual stories and had me actually caring about the characters. I also liked the job it did in capturing many different cultures, and being very specific to each culture, making each one seem completley diverse to one another.

Like I also said, I really like the director, and I love his visual style. I feel that he does an absolutley amazing job of elicting emotion via his visual style. His use of shot, speed of shot and selective cutting, often add so much to the emotion he manages to project from his movies, and his work with characters is also fucking awesome. I always feel that the characters I'm watching on screen are real people, with real problems. He also does a greta job of rounding the characters, so know one is a clear cut bad guy or good guy, with perception changing as you get to know the characters more throughout his films.

I'm probably rambling a bit here, but Babel was my second favourite film of 2006 following The Departed, and I'm surprised at the reaction to it on here to be honest.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't et any of that out of the film. Visually it was appealing, I'll give you that. But none of the stories really grabbed my interest, and the Japanese girls arc really seemed so unimportant to the entire story and merely incorporated to be titillating. I don't think Brad Pitt's performance was all that great and he spent a lot of the time yelling, and Blanchett was a dying woman most of the time.

I bought the DVD when it came out, and I really wish I hadn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't et any of that out of the film. Visually it was appealing, I'll give you that. But none of the stories really grabbed my interest, and the Japanese girls arc really seemed so unimportant to the entire story and merely incorporated to be titillating. I don't think Brad Pitt's performance was all that great and he spent a lot of the time yelling, and Blanchett was a dying woman most of the time.

I bought the DVD when it came out, and I really wish I hadn't.
    Fair enough, Pitt wasn't exactly great, I agree, I thought the Mexican woman put in the films best performance. The story with the Japanese girl was probably the least important element to the film, bit I enjoyed it for its exploration of the culture and the pressures put upon young girls in an arena I really wasn't used to watching, plus it did pay some significance to the film in the end.

Have you seen Amores Perros Morrison?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yeah. The nanny's story was easily the best one.

Pitt and Blanchett proper pissed me off though. Their stuff really bored me.

And ROB, how exactly is TWBB overrated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's overrated in the sense that it's judged more on the merit of one individual performance that as a film as a whole.

Were someone other than DDL cast as the lead, the film itself would not have recieved nearly the amount of critical slobbery that it did. That's not by any means meant as a knock on his performance, as it truly was incredible, but the film as a whole goes in some questionable directions, one of which in particular takes up too much of the viewer's time and has no payoff that's in any way necessary to the rest of the film.

Lewis absolutely owned that role -- it really can't be stressed enough -- but that alone doesn't make for a film of the historical prominence that so many have chosen to place upon it, and the perfomance seems to have given people license to overlook some of the film's glaring problems altogether. This would not be the case if we were talking about "There Will Be Blood" starring Benicio Del Toro (or whomever).

Yeah, I really did love that film. I'm a massive fan of the director Inaritu's work, Amores Perros is one of my favourite movies of all time, and 21 Grams is also a great film if you ask me. I thought Babel was an emotionally great film, it really drew me in to each one of the individual stories and had me actually caring about the characters. I also liked the job it did in capturing many different cultures, and being very specific to each culture, making each one seem completley diverse to one another.
    "Amores Perros" is a substantially better film than "Babel". Shit, "21 Grams" is also a better film, though it's nowhere near as good as "Amores Perros".

I wasn't drawn into all of the stories whatsoever - pretty much just that of the nanny, really - and I couldn't have cared less about some of the characters, perhaps most notably Cate Blanchett.

Also, it's not exactly a display of cinematic mastery when a director is able to make Tijuana and Tokyo seem "completely diverse"...

Like I also said, I really like the director, and I love his visual style. I feel that he does an absolutley amazing job of elicting emotion via his visual style. His use of shot, speed of shot and selective cutting, often add so much to the emotion he manages to project from his movies, and his work with characters is also fucking awesome. I always feel that the characters I'm watching on screen are real people, with real problems. He also does a greta job of rounding the characters, so know one is a clear cut bad guy or good guy, with perception changing as you get to know the characters more throughout his films.
    Visually "Babel" was quite good, but that's about where it ends. I'm still not entirely certain how the Japanese story was even necessary, I had no vested interest whatsoever in what fate held for those characters (or Blanchett, or Pitt) and I found myself wondering what the true appeal of this movie was even supposed to have been. Kind of reeked of "vanity project" to me, with a few A-list actors signing on to work with a suddenly extremely reputable director in an attempt to pad the resumes of all involved.

Unfortunatly, this was a film that pretty much fell flat and wasn't anywhere near as good as its parts indicate that it could have been.

I'm probably rambling a bit here, but Babel was my second favourite film of 2006 following The Departed, and I'm surprised at the reaction to it on here to be honest.
    I'm quite honestly surprised that anyone rates it as high as you do...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's overrated in the sense that it's judged more on the merit of one individual performance that as a film as a whole.

Were someone other than DDL cast as the lead, the film itself would not have recieved nearly the amount of critical slobbery that it did. That's not by any means meant as a knock on his performance, as it truly was incredible, but the film as a whole goes in some questionable directions, one of which in particular takes up too much of the viewer's time and has no payoff that's in any way necessary to the rest of the film.

Lewis absolutely owned that role -- it really can't be stressed enough -- but that alone doesn't make for a film of the historical prominence that so many have chosen to place upon it, and the perfomance seems to have given people license to overlook some of the film's glaring problems altogether. This would not be the case if we were talking about "There Will Be Blood" starring Benicio Del Toro (or whomever).

That's pretty much my thoughts of the film, except you worded it much better.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston
    Which 'glaring problems'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a certain completely unnecessary side-story that quite literally wastes a good 20 minutes of one's life.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Which?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Last edited by Ringo; April 20th, 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really don't see how some of that is a pretty major detraction from the rest of the film?

Like this, for example...

A lot indeed. Far too much, in fact, especially when compared to the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Amores Perros" is a substantially better film than "Babel". Shit, "21 Grams" is also a better film, though it's nowhere near as good as "Amores Perros".
    I agree. Amores Perros is an all time favourite of mine, and was my first introduction to Foreign Language films.

I wasn't drawn into all of the stories whatsoever - pretty much just that of the nanny, really - and I couldn't have cared less about some of the characters, perhaps most notably Cate Blanchett.

Also, it's not exactly a display of cinematic mastery when a director is able to make Tijuana and Tokyo seem "completely diverse"...
    Fair enough. I dunno if the directors style just connects and works on me more or something, but I found myself really involved with all of the characters, except Blanchett. She just wasn't a nice character generally. Maybe the least well rounded of all of Inarritu's characters now I think about it.

I wasn't saying it was a display of cinematic mastery though, I was simply stating that I liked the drastic changes in culture and setting. I liked how it showed culturaly specific problems in each location especially.

I'm quite honestly surprised that anyone rates it as high as you do...
    Why?

I'm generally surprised by the reaction on here because those who I've conversed with about the film in every day life, who actually have decent taste and decent knowledge in regard to film, have also found the film to be as awesome as I have.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell you what -- I will watch this movie again with everything that all of you have said taken into strong consideration. If it's all more strongly conveyed than I had remembered (I haven't seen it in months) then I thank all of you for opening my eyes to aspects that I was admittedly blind to.

If all of these opinions of yours prove to be interpretation-based, however, I'm going to stand by my "overrated" statement.

Fair?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Pancakes View Post
    Aye, this is definitely the impression I got. That whole speech that he'd run through when announcing his arrival at a new town.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, this is definitely the impression I got. That whole speech that he'd run through when announcing his arrival at a new town.
    I can definitely see the argument for that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really don't see how some of that is a pretty major detraction from the rest of the film?

Like this, for example...

A lot indeed. Far too much, in fact, especially when compared to the book.

Wow, dude, you're way off on this one.

Last edited by Jimmy Zero; April 23rd, 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy Fallon to take over for Conan when Conan takes over for Jay

Jimmy Fallon is a talentless shit face. How in god's name is he at all a good choice of this job?

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doomsday Trailer

What a brilliant idea, building a massive metal wall around Scotland. Actually, I could see that happening in the near future, virus or no virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not anywhere near a new release, but I watched Eve's Bayou yesterday, and I can honestly say that was my least favorite film of all time. Not necessarily the worst, but my least favorite.

I've never seen a movie in which absolutely NONE of the characters were desirable in the slightest. Probably says something when the only character one could argue as desirable is the one who molested his own daughter.

I'm slightly suspicious that it's positive reviews are only because it was a movie starring and produced by blacks that had a serious "storyline" and did not have a purposefully misspelled word in the title. This can only be construed as a disservice. It's not the Special Olympics, ffs.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I steal cable View Post
    Doomsday Trailer

What a brilliant idea, building a massive metal wall around Scotland. Actually, I could see that happening in the near future, virus or no virus.
    I saw this movie, and besides the really foxxy chick it was shite. It was a good concept though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer looked good for about the first minute and a half, very 28 days later-esque, then just got fucking ridiculous.