User Tag List

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's particularly bad about Spiderman 3? I went into it with low expectations due to mostly negative comments I'd heard about it, and I really liked it.

I found most of the negativity stemmed from the dance scene, which I can understand the dislike for I spose, but my god did I like it. Thought it was so strange and totally zany, but kinda funny due to it's ridiculous nature.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Lem View Post
    What's particularly bad about Spiderman 3? I went into it with low expectations due to mostly negative comments I'd heard about it, and I really liked it.

I found most of the negativity stemmed from the dance scene, which I can understand the dislike for I spose, but my god did I like it. Thought it was so strange and totally zany, but kinda funny due to it's ridiculous nature.
    My problems with Spider-Man 3 comes from going in with really high expecations (which I'd had since seeing Spider-Man 2). I remember when my theater wasn't getting it and a handfull of our employees got to watch a press screening the week before it opened. I didn't get to make it, but asked them all for opinions and most were let down and I kept telling myself that they aren't true fans, they must not get some of it, etc. Then I watch another press copy about 2 days prior to it's opening and while I was enjoying it, I wasn't getting that Spider-Man 2 feeling. I haven't seen it since rewatching it a week after, but from what I can recall the shit stuff was how horrible Kristen Dunst is (and how poorly written that character is over all, we were supposed to feel bad for her at some points, right?). Not to mention so much shit was going on. I'm far from a Venom nuthugger, but that whole thing was so screwed up it really hurts the film. That should be an epic build through a full film, not have him come to be in the second to last reel of the movie.

And I love the dance scene. It's probably my favorite part of the movie. And not in a "wrestlecrap" type way.

Bottom line though, I liked the movie. It just wasn't the jaw dropping edge of your seat experience it could have been. And while neither was Disturbia, it was a decent little PG-13 thriller. Which is more than expected.
    Last edited by Ace Rockola; March 19th, 2008 at 6:01 PM.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story was ass and Venom was completely pointless. Plus, apparently evil Spidey is only evil when he's sporting jazz hands.

Plus, Kirsten Dunst was in it. Also a major negative for the first two.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was exagerating hense specifically picking from amongst the worst films ever made.

Disturbia I went into the flim with little to no expectations. It was a movie about a kid on house arrest spying on his neighbors. I mean I had nothing. Turned out that the movie had my full attention most of the time through (and that's saying something usually I have my tv on as background noise but I'm realy writing a story or chating online) It was a fun well thought out movie. Sure there were some fuck ups in it but all things considered it was a good movie.

Spiderman 3 is just a train wreck. Wether it's the fact that Venom was shoe horned into a movie that didn't have enough room for him or Harry's stupid face turn because his fucking Butler waited years to tell him that his father's wounds were apparently self-inflicted. Which is even worse when Harry dies the same fucking way cept the part where it isn't self inflicted.

You gotta love Sandman's uh well I was trying to kill you, you're obviously pretty beaten up. Do you mind if I just walk away? Ending.

It was even worse because Spiderman 1 & 2 were good to very good movies by any fair standard and par excellence as Comic book movies go. I mean it has to compete with Howard the Duck, Punisher and Ghost Rider.

And for the record White Noise should have been the worst movie ever made. Unfortunately it isn't. I believe that honor is held by a movie called Manos Hands of Fate. A movie so horrible that at two o'clock in the morning, when the phone book becomes hiliarious, armed with several close friends and a bottle of tequilla and with the direct assistance of the MST3K cast it was still to horrible to laugh at. It is the horrible movie by which all other horrid flicks are measured.

Edit: I didn't mind the dance sequence. And I really don't quite get the hatred for Dunst, but I do agree she was written poorly and the film was way to crammed and should have been ATLEAST 2 movies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Ghost Rider.

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if you're a comic book fan, but I am, and a pretty big fan of Spider-Man as well, as well as loving the two previous movies. I went into the movie with high expectations, and came out feeling like crap, much the same way I did with X-Men 3 the previous year.

Spider-Man 3 was rushed, the story was actually pretty crap, and there was just so much stuff just thrown in there, with very little pay-off. Venom, who is virtually Spider-Man's Joker, was cool, for the 9 minutes he was in the movie, but it's basicaly like what would happen in The Dark Knight if The Joker is a secondary villain that is only shown the last 10 minutes of the movie.

The dance scene was the point where I actually saw people walk out of the theater yelling at the screen talking about how shitty it was, which I almost joined them.

I actually liked all the actors in it, and don't feel the need to bash Toby or Kirsten, and I thought Thomas Church and Topher Grace did a good job in what they had for them, where as I actually believed Eddie Brock pre-Venom was actually one of the best characters in the movie, however, while I like Bryce Howard, I thought Gwen Stacy was a throwaway character that served no real purpose.

So those are the many reasons why I didn't like Spider-Man 3 and found it to be one of, if not, the worst movie I saw in 2007.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    I liked Ghost Rider.

I'd completely forgotten about Gwen Stacy and vast injustice that was done by using her as a throw away when she's such an important charachter in the mythos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut me some slack. I saw it while I was stoned and the fire looked cool. Plus, Eva Mendes has a superb rack.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does Kristina Loken but that didn't make Bloodrayne watchable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Uwe Boll.

Totally unfair comparison. Plus, for arguments sake, that chick Terminator isn't even close to the supple goodness of Eva Mendes.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a matter of opinion. If I had to choose I'd be all over Kristina.

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghostrider?

The hell?

During the first transformation into Ghost Rider by Nicolas Cage, I literally busted up laughing. I mean it was seriously bad. Not even sure if being high would have improved the movie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The story was ass and Venom was completely pointless. Plus, apparently evil Spidey is only evil when he's sporting jazz hands.

Plus, Kirsten Dunst was in it. Also a major negative for the first two.
    Exactly.

Say what you will about Venom, but he's way cooler than the Sandman. The "bad guy with a heart of gold" story never works. Especially when Sandman murdered Uncle Ben. Fuck that; that's inexcusable. As is Eddie Brock being played by Eric Foreman. To make that character an arrogant Peter doppelganger is to completely miss the point. Raimi should have just focused on Venom being a violent vigilante and Harry being the new Green Goblin. Also, Mary-Jane should have been killed.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I would have done Spidey 3 & 4 as a two parter like they did the Matrix.

The firs tmovie would be Petey getting wailed on for the first half by the villians (I nominate Lizard/Harry Goblin) the second half is him wailing and eventually nearly killing Harry in a climax battle. The movie would have ended with Peter tearing off the black suit and Eddie getting it. That clip we all fell in love with would have been the last thing you saw.

The next movie would have featured Eddie doing all of the fucked up shit that Harry did with MJ as well as Peter's whining. We would really have played up that Venom was immune to Spidey sense and the entire movie would have been about the relationship betwee Spidey and Venom.

I likely would have killed Mary Jane or played up Gwen Stacy enough to kill her.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Ghostrider?

The hell?

During the first transformation into Ghost Rider by Nicolas Cage, I literally busted up laughing. I mean it was seriously bad. Not even sure if being high would have improved the movie.
    It's not like I'm sitting here singing the praises of Ghost Rider. It was a good popcorn movie, that's all.

Let's be honest, it's a pretty stupid character to begin with. How good a movie were you expecting?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    atleast as good as Spawn had been nearly a decade earlier?

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Spawn is SO BAD.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, that Lewis Black show after South Park is pretty much unwatchable, huh?

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Rockola View Post
    So, that Lewis Black show after South Park is pretty much unwatchable, huh?
    It's not as good as I was hoping it would be. Seeing as how I'm a big fan of Lewis Black's stand-up, I was expecting more of the same, and while there are some parts that are similar to Black's famous rants, it's just not the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problems with Spider-Man 3 comes from going in with really high expecations (which I'd had since seeing Spider-Man 2). I remember when my theater wasn't getting it and a handfull of our employees got to watch a press screening the week before it opened. I didn't get to make it, but asked them all for opinions and most were let down and I kept telling myself that they aren't true fans, they must not get some of it, etc. Then I watch another press copy about 2 days prior to it's opening and while I was enjoying it, I wasn't getting that Spider-Man 2 feeling. I haven't seen it since rewatching it a week after, but from what I can recall the shit stuff was how horrible Kristen Dunst is (and how poorly written that character is over all, we were supposed to feel bad for her at some points, right?). Not to mention so much shit was going on. I'm far from a Venom nuthugger, but that whole thing was so screwed up it really hurts the film. That should be an epic build through a full film, not have him come to be in the second to last reel of the movie.

And I love the dance scene. It's probably my favorite part of the movie. And not in a "wrestlecrap" type way.

Bottom line though, I liked the movie. It just wasn't the jaw dropping edge of your seat experience it could have been. And while neither was Disturbia, it was a decent little PG-13 thriller. Which is more than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I'm not sure if you're a comic book fan, but I am, and a pretty big fan of Spider-Man as well, as well as loving the two previous movies. I went into the movie with high expectations, and came out feeling like crap, much the same way I did with X-Men 3 the previous year.

Spider-Man 3 was rushed, the story was actually pretty crap, and there was just so much stuff just thrown in there, with very little pay-off. Venom, who is virtually Spider-Man's Joker, was cool, for the 9 minutes he was in the movie, but it's basicaly like what would happen in The Dark Knight if The Joker is a secondary villain that is only shown the last 10 minutes of the movie.

The dance scene was the point where I actually saw people walk out of the theater yelling at the screen talking about how shitty it was, which I almost joined them.

I actually liked all the actors in it, and don't feel the need to bash Toby or Kirsten, and I thought Thomas Church and Topher Grace did a good job in what they had for them, where as I actually believed Eddie Brock pre-Venom was actually one of the best characters in the movie, however, while I like Bryce Howard, I thought Gwen Stacy was a throwaway character that served no real purpose.

So those are the many reasons why I didn't like Spider-Man 3 and found it to be one of, if not, the worst movie I saw in 2007.
    Yeah I can pretty much agree with all of that. To be fair, I'm a very casual comic book fan, I've only really seriously read the aclaimed Batman books (Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns) and it's only been recently that I've gotten more into them (I bought Watchmen and an X-Men book I fancied the other day). So I don't have a lot of experience of the Spiderman comic book series, I used to pick up the odd cheap back issue back during when the cartoon that aired on Fox Kids was still showing (loved that cartoon), but with you guys seeming like real fans, I can definetly see and apreciate your points of view on the film.

I will say, I watched it with a few friends when it came out on DVD, and while talking during the film and stuff, it can seem more enjoyable I spose. Venom being thrown in there like that did kinda confuse me though, especially since I remember him being a very key character in the cartoon, and I'd always read a fuck load about Spiderman's black outfit.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Saw Michael Clayton. Liked it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Saw Michael Clayton. Liked it.
    I was checking the listings on my flight to Orlando, if I get a newer plane with the ON Demand service, Michael Clayton is showing. Will most definetly be watching it.

If I don't get On Demand, I'm stuck with two films for the entire flight Dan in Real Life, and Martian Child. Both look enjoyable enough, but well, it was nothing on the selection of awesome films I had last year when I flew to the States.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiderman 3 was very irritating to watch. I certainly liked bits of it, but I thought it was deeply flawed.

Peter and Harry's buddy-buddy relationship really comes out of nowhere. If this had been the first Spiderman film, then you could buy this kind of history. But I thought it was really laid on thick here, given their problems in the other films. The team-up between Sandman and Venom felt completely tacked on - "You want the spider, I want the spider, let's team up". Spidey losing his mask reached ridiculous levels at the end of the film. Then there's the stuff that just didn't make sense at all - the butler somehow knowing what happened with Norman in the first film, Sandman being completely unfazed and walking away from a screaming monster in a dark alley, Brock knowing about Sandman's daughter, etc.

Plus, I would have really liked to have seen Gwen Stacy as the damsel in distress at the end, since Mary Jane had become so unlikable that I wouldn't have minded seeing her killed off. If there's to be a Spiderman 4, I really think there needs to be a fresh perspective - new director, new actors, the works.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Foleybumps View Post
    Haha. I just watched "Plan 9 From Outerspace" a few weeks back.
    You seen Ed Wood?

bloody brilliant film

PurePlayer
    I was checking the listings on my flight to Orlando, if I get a newer plane with the ON Demand service, Michael Clayton is showing. Will most definetly be watching it.

If I don't get On Demand, I'm stuck with two films for the entire flight Dan in Real Life, and Martian Child. Both look enjoyable enough, but well, it was nothing on the selection of awesome films I had last year when I flew to the States.
    For some reason, I can't watch a movie in a plane. I tried on numerous occasions, but I never seem to watch more than the first 10 minutes of it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's because they only show absolute garbage on airplanes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    For some reason, I can't watch a movie in a plane. I tried on numerous occasions, but I never seem to watch more than the first 10 minutes of it.
    I find that I hate flying so much that I just concentrate all my energy into movies for a whole flight and just don't think about anything else. It's the best time killer on a log haul journey.

Dunno bout that. Last time I flew, which was about a year ago, on the way over I watched Babel, The Pursuit of Happiness and Blood Diamond. An amazing film in Babel, and two damn good movies to go with it.

On the way back I watched Little Children, which has to be one of 2006's most underrated films, and a couple of others that weren't so great.

PurePlayer
    Not all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I steal cable View Post
    You seen Ed Wood?

bloody brilliant film
    Have not.

I actually didn't know that Planet 9 was an Ed Wood film when I watched it. The info just mentioned it was widely regarded as "the worst movie ever."

Then later when I found out that it was a Ed Wood flick I figured the movie about him is worth a view, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I am curious if he thought his films were legitimately "good" or the more correct "so bad they're good." Plus I'm pretty sure Johnny Depp plays him, so it can't be too bad. Unless it is in anyway similar to "The Man Who Cried."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is looking for one of the coolest noirs ever, watch The Third Man. Most of you have likely already seen or heard of it, but I'm just re-iterating how awesome it is.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went and saw Be Kind Rewind today after my friend and I hit up the Dark Knight Dent Mobile thing (which was a blast and got a crap load of cool little goodies). Man, talk about a shitty movie. I got in for free cause it was at my old theater and all my peeps aren't gonna charge me. But still. I feel bad that I wasted a favor from friends on this.

Mos Def is really good in this though. But other than that it was nearly impossible to stay awake through. I know it's been out for a few weeks, but gotta get the warning out there.

Think I'm staying out the theaters until the midnight showing of "A Hard Days Night" at the art house theater.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm years behind everyone else, I know, but I watched History of Violence last night.

I liked it, but it wasn't until after it'd finished, when I really started to think about the film, that I truly liked it. Pretty much everyone played their role really well, especially Mortensen and Holmes. And while I understand Holmes' role in the film, I would've liked his story with the bully to have been touched upon more - especially the aftermath of Jack's attack on him.

I loved the music, I really liked the fact that it was slow paced and built up throughout, how subtle the film was in places, then completely over the top, in your face and violent in other places, and that there wasn't a single moment wasted at all throughout.

I'm not one for giving film reviews, but there you go. And rather than bumping a really old thread, I thought I'd stick it in here. I'll be watching a lot more films from now on, so I'll be sticking any other reviews and notes in here, as well.

I'm now off to watch The Prestige. After that, I've got Blood Diamond, The Black Book and OldBoy lined up for next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont let Alf hear that stuff. He'll kill you both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the odd occasion, I catch bits of The Crystal Maze on Challenge. Where the hell did they get the idiots who appeared on that show? It was like they had never seen an episode of TCM before as they were so clueless; some games were repeated quite often so they should have recognised them if they did their research.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Pancakes View Post
    If anyone is looking for one of the coolest noirs ever, watch The Third Man. Most of you have likely already seen or heard of it, but I'm just re-iterating how awesome it is.
    I saw this for the first time last year, and I have to admit that I was fairly dissapointed in it. Maybe it's just because it was so hyped up to me, but I thought that it was only a slightly better than average film for the most part, although there were one or two things that I thought were really done well, such as the ferris wheel scene, and even though I was 95% sure of the twist before it happened, I still thought the way in which it was revealed was excellent.

In my opinion, the greatest film-noir movie ever is definitely The Maltese Falcon, followed closely by L.A. Confidential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a Jack note, I watched The Shining the other day. I can't believe it took me so damn long to get round to watching it, because my god was it amazing. I thought it was gonna be good, but it completley exceeded by expectations in every way possible.

I'd honestly say it's the best Horror film I've ever seen, I often find the genre waaaay to generic and diluted(and I'm not talking just slasher movies), but this was something else. Amazing use of the hotel, and the use of wide shots in and around the hotel lobby, really made you feel the sense of emptiness and the haunting nature of the structure. I also loved the creepiness of the corridors, and the way in which every supernaural element was just made compleltey crazy, either by Jack's over the top acting and delivery of dialogue, or the facials that the little kid was able to convey.

I could go on and on, but I'm not writing a review, so I'll stop, but just a fucking awesome film, and I'm not sure if a horror film exists that can touch The Shining.

Too bad the chick in the film cannot act. But hey, maybe she didnt need to act to seem so thick.

PurePlayer
    Originally Posted by KorruptJustice
    In my opinion, the greatest film-noir movie ever is definitely The Maltese Falcon, followed closely by L.A. Confidential.
    God I have to see L.A. Confidential. I don't know what the hell I am waiting for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You haven't seen that?

Jeez man, come on. I know some people have mixed feelings about it, but it's worth seeing at least once.

Personally, I think it's a great movie. Never read the book. I wouldn't say it's the second best film noir ever, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who remembers Parker Lewis Can't Lose?

Wow.

PurePlayer
    You haven't seen that?

Jeez man, come on. I know some people have mixed feelings about it, but it's worth seeing at least once.

Personally, I think it's a great movie. Never read the book. I wouldn't say it's the second best film noir ever, though.
    I have seen a lot of movies but that is one that I never got around to seeing, and that's pretty shocking because I love anything Spacey is involved in.

The movies that I intend on watching within the next month include; L.A. Confidential, The Sting, and A Clockwork Orange. I have seen No Country For Old Men, The Untouchables, and The Deer Hunter already this week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a lot of movies but that is one that I never got around to seeing, and that's pretty shocking because I love anything Spacey is involved in.

The movies that I intend on watching within the next month include; L.A. Confidential, The Sting, and A Clockwork Orange. I have seen No Country For Old Men, The Untouchables, and The Deer Hunter already this week.
    Even K-Pax?

No Country was awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt much care for No country. Left me feeling flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Chaos tonight - a movie from 2005 starring Jason Statham, Ryan Phillippe & Wesley Snipes... what a God awful movie. It's pretty sad when I'm predicting what's going to happen and I'm right every single time, and even pointing out where they fucked up in the movie. 2/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you cling to opinions that most people have given up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard terrible things about Dan In Real Life. Terrible, terrible things. I really wish Steve Carrell would start starring in movies I actually want to see again. That would be cool. I'm beginning to see him solely as Michael Scott at this point.

Anyway, the movies they played on my way to and from NY on the bus were Wild Hogs and The Pursuit Of Happiness. Pursuit of Happiness was quite good. Will Smith has really come into his own it seems, as he was great in this and I Am Legend. Wild Hogs was better than I expected it to be, but only because I literally expected it to be the worst movie I have ever seen. In the end it just ended up being a borefest, but nothing offensively bad.

Went and saw Be Kind Rewind today after my friend and I hit up the Dark Knight Dent Mobile thing (which was a blast and got a crap load of cool little goodies). Man, talk about a shitty movie. I got in for free cause it was at my old theater and all my peeps aren't gonna charge me. But still. I feel bad that I wasted a favor from friends on this.
    That's a shame. I don't like Jack Black all that much, but the concept for this seemed hysterical to me. I'll probably still check it out for myself, but I'll wait until it comes out on DVD and Netflix it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them making the movies is the only funny bit, but there aren't enough of them and only about two we see more than 15 seconds of. And they're handicapped by only using their studios library (at least I think that's what I read a while back). Thus when the boxing movie they film comes up is "When We Were Kings" you sit there and just wonder, "why the fuck aren't they doing Rocky?"

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno I thought Be Kind Rewind was great, it just wasn't only a comedy. There was a real plot with real charachters. It was a bit of an art flick to be honest, the kind where film students think it's brilliant from beginning to end but the rest of us are screaming for more cowbell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's more than safe to say that the term "art flick" doesn't even somewhat apply to Be Kind Rewind, nor do film students in any way think it's brilliant from beginning to end.

In fact, I'd go so far as to guarantee both of those things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I'll confirm.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone heard of/seen The Orphanage? It won't be everyone's cup of tea, as it's a Spanish film and has subtitles...I actually heard a couple behind me mutter about it being in subtitles, before walking out about ten minutes later. It came out here on Friday and it's really good film, if a little strange.

It's basically about a couple who own this huge house that used to be an orphanage. They have an adopted son who they believe has imaginary friends...only they're not imaginary, as the kid sees them and plays with them all of the time. Anyway, the kid goes missing and the woman believes the kids who used to live in this orphanage have taken him as part of their game, after finding out more about the kids who used to live there and what happened to them. Her husband and everyone else thinks she's crazy, but she does everything she can to try and find her son by following clues and playing the game. I can't say much more, as I'm worried about giving anything away... all I've done is given you a basic outline to what is a very good film.

It's well acted, very well told story and it's built up at a good, slow pace.

Edit: Here's a trailer for it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=i3TuClW65s8&feature=related

I don't know if it's the best trailer available, I simply used the first result.
    Last edited by Jay; March 23rd, 2008 at 7:20 AM.

Paul. Ringo. John. Carl. TapOut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Too bad the chick in the film cannot act. But hey, maybe she didnt need to act to seem so thick.
    I thought her personality in the film was great. I'm not very familiar with Duvall (other than Suburban Commando... but I'll pretend that doesn't count). But her bubbly personality was perfect to contrast with Jack's alcoholic and probably somewhat abusive character.

Like when she's all cheerful and offers to make him some sandwiches, and he just gives her a "I'm two seconds away from choking you to death" stare? That's excellent. If the woman was Streisand or something, that look wouldn't have had the same effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TapOut View Post
    I thought her personality in the film was great. I'm not very familiar with Duvall (other than Suburban Commando... but I'll pretend that doesn't count). But her bubbly personality was perfect to contrast with Jack's alcoholic and probably somewhat abusive character.

Like when she's all cheerful and offers to make him some sandwiches, and he just gives her a "I'm two seconds away from choking you to death" stare? That's excellent. If the woman was Streisand or something, that look wouldn't have had the same effect.
    Yeah I'm with you. She did a good job of just seeming too nice, making her vulnerability and fragile nature mean much more later on in the movie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelley Duvall isn't a bad actress at all. She did a great job in the Shining. If she's good enough for Kubrik, she's damn sure good enough for me.

The only possible knock I could think of on her Shining performance is how theatrical and exaggerated she can be, but that's not her fault. Kubrik micro managed his films and got exactly what he wanted out of his actors.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didnt like the ending to spanglish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you actually like the rest of it?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently read Bringing Down the House, the book about MIT students who count cards in blackjack. Heard good things about it, and I'd say it lived up to the hype. I really enjoyed it, but the ending was very anticlimatic. I was a bit annoyed that you never find out who the traitor is, nor do you find anything out about the silver-haired man. All in all though, definitely a good read.

The movie, 21, doesn't look that great, but I do like the casting of Kevin Spacey as Micky Rosa.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you actually like the rest of it?
    I guess so.

plus that lady is attractive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren't kidding about that. Damn.

Bandidas was on HBO the other day. God, what a fucking awful movie. BUT, oh my god do Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz look absolutely amazing. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Cruz looking hotter.

Worth watching, for free mind you, purely for the jiggle factor. That movie was made only to get those two fine ladies in some ho outfits from the wild west.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Monty Python's Life of Brian earlier today, and I have to say that I was a little dissapointed. A majority of my friends claimed that it was funnier than Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but I remember laughing pretty much nonstop through that one, while in Life of Brian, I think I chuckled maybe a half dozen times. The only scenes that really made me laugh were the stoning scenes, the "What have the Romans ever done for us?" scene, and the song at the end. Other than that, nothing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like your friends are dumb shits. Life of Brian isn't all that funny.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life of Brian is the worst of the three IMO. With Grail being at the top.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out and bought Gone Baby Gone and absolutely loved it.
    Great movie, can't recommend it enough for anyone that hasn't seen it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me Life of Brian was better but that's because I was the last one to watch Holy Grail and I was in a room full of people who'd seen it so it was an hour and a half of "Oh my god this part coming up is so funny!" Vs a movie that nobody had seen before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that sucks. That'll ruin a movie viewing every time.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    Went out and bought Gone Baby Gone and absolutely loved it.
    Great movie, can't recommend it enough for anyone that hasn't seen it.
    IMO, Gone Baby Gone > No Country for Old Men

Just watched No Country and I was not sure how I feel about it, I think I may go back and watch it again to really listen and take in all of the dialoque. Great movie, but left me kinda dry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that sucks. That'll ruin a movie viewing every time.
    Drives me nuts. They spent the entire lead-up to watching the film telling me all the good bits, then during the film they're constantly going "oh this bit is coming up, it's so good!" and then 0.3 seconds after it just happened, THEY BLOODY QUOTE IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeHead469 View Post
    IMO, Gone Baby Gone > No Country for Old Men

Just watched No Country and I was not sure how I feel about it, I think I may go back and watch it again to really listen and take in all of the dialoque. Great movie, but left me kinda dry.
    Go watch it again. I felt the same way after the first watch, but completely different after the second.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really need to watch NCFOM one more time myself.
    I enjoyed it alot, but the ending really was odd, not sure if that was due to me having some beers or what, but it definitely needs another watching.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ending pretty much just reinforces the title of the movie. Anton, the Dealers, and, to some extent Lou Ellen(I don't know the proper hillbilly spelling of that), were of a new era of crime. Tommy Lee Jones' character was a lawman from a bygone era and, really if you watch him in this context, is totally out of his league through out the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bingo.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the ROB/Ace bit gets more creepy as I repped Jimmy's post saying, "and Bingo was his name-o" about 10 minutes ago.

PurePlayer
    Just bought the movie from best buy and liked it even better the second time around. Great film.

Paul. Ringo. John. Carl. TapOut's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prison Break was renewed for a full season. I thought it was a given for the most part, but just in case anyone was curious.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely forgot that they are making a live action GI Joe movie.
    I hope it's good, i used to love that cartoon when i was a kid.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched The Mist for the first time and I have to say, the ending of that movie pissed me off more, I think, than any other movie I have ever seen. I was so mad at the end at what happened. The movie was good with great characters and a story but if you have seen the movie you know what I mean, if you have not then I don't want to spoil it but, wow!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it was absolutely a bull shit ending. I did enjoy the movie up until they decided it was time to venture out of the store. The ending was a total cop out and was obviously trying way to hard to be all like, "Oh wow!" Very lame.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the ending was one of the greatest swerves ever. Though to be fair I could have delt with it ending with that big thing walking by as I think the story did. But it's been years.

PurePlayer
    I am assuming you guys recommend this movie because I am considering giving it a watch in the near future.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since PurePlayer is going to give it a watch soon, I'll be nice and tag my thoughts on The Mist's ending:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doct1400 View Post
    I thought the ending was one of the greatest swerves ever.
    That being said, you also claimed that "Be Kind Rewind" was an "art flick" that would be "debated by film students", and that "Life of Brian" Was better than "Holy Grail", so there's that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    That being said, you also claimed that "Be Kind Rewind" was an "art flick" that would be "debated by film students", and that "Life of Brian" Was better than "Holy Grail", so there's that...
    Be Kind Rewind is a Michael Gondry flick, who is quite well known as an artful director. Eternal Sunshine being a shining example of this. Be Kind Rewind has an art director behind it and an indie spirit, so he's not entirely off the mark. Plus film students and film fans the world over seem to be imitating it's "make hollywood movies with no budget" thingy for fun as well, just look at youtube.

And Life of Brian/Holy Grail are at least equal. It's completely arguable which is better, but if we go according to rottentomatoes....he's right. what with Life of Brian at 98%, and Holy Grail at 94%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've gotta read the posts I'm referencing in proper context to understand the points he's actually tried to make, Sir Blood of Plasmia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    And Life of Brian/Holy Grail are at least equal. It's completely arguable which is better, but if we go according to rottentomatoes....he's right. what with Life of Brian at 98%, and Holy Grail at 94%
    IMDB

Holy Grail: 8.5/10 (112,816 votes)
    Brian: 8.2/10 (64,259 votes)

Woop woop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously how was anyone surprised by that "swerve" of an ending in Mist? It was so fucking lame! The second they all decided to do that, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Such a crappy wannabe Twilight Zone ending.

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post

You also have to look at the number of reviews.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously how was anyone surprised by that "swerve" of an ending in Mist? It was so fucking lame! The second they all decided to do that, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Such a crappy wannabe Twilight Zone ending.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    I dunno the film students that I know loved it to death.

As for Life of Brian vs Holy Grail I qualified that. It was circumstancial. In a room with five guys spoilering every fucking scene before you scene it you could easily think that Spidey 3>Spidey 2. You'd be wrong but given the circumstances it would be an acceptable mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just finished watching The Mist myself, and I have to say I enjoyed myself throughout the entire length of the film. Thought it was well made, with a nice tempo to it, and some good special effects. Very good job directing on Mr. Darabont's part as well. The concept of the film itself is something that I haven't seen in a long time, and this is a nice twist on that concept. All those aspects gelled together perfectly for a well made flick with a number of memorable scenes throughout the movie imo.

Also feel the ending was done real well, and loved the swerve at the end. As I was expecting it to end all ambiguous as in the book. So that was a nice little add on there at the end. Don't see what the hates all about really.

Would love to see some more Stephen King novels reimagined for the big screen with Frank Darabont as director. He has always been a big fan of Stephens and always does top notch work when working on something of King's.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Vantage Point tonight, really enjoyed it for the most part, great concept, some pretty good acting and a pretty good plot.

However, about half way through when it goes a bit Die Hard-y I start losing a bit of interest, preferred it when it was a bit more subtle and clever.

Any thoughts?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, I know I'm a little behind most people, but I watched Blood Diamond last night...and fucking hell, what an absolutely amazing film. I loved it. So much so that I watched the film again straight away with Ed Zwick narrating. I now love it even more, after hearing about all of the subtle references, how it was shot and learning more about what they wanted to portray with the film.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Mik:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36181

Children of Men the Series being developed by the guys who did the Battlestar remake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of it. Hopefully, they'll expand on it without cheesing it up.

Think I'll go for some American History X tonight. Still haven't watched it, but Norton is immense.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American History X sucks

too much up it's own arse

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I didn't want to be the first one to say it.

Really quite overrated. There are some alright performances, but on the whole it is WAY pretentious.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I like the idea of it. Hopefully, they'll expand on it without cheesing it up.

Think I'll go for some American History X tonight. Still haven't watched it, but Norton is immense.
    Would you stop using the word 'immense' to describe everything you think is awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really liked it. Brilliant, to be honest.

By the way, shut the fuck up, Morri.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't the Asylum, kid. Watch your mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okee dokee then.
    Last edited by Ricky; March 28th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Mik:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36181

Children of Men the Series being developed by the guys who did the Battlestar remake.
    Only Eick, half the reason BSG is so good is because of Moore & Michael Rymer who is basically the driving force & style and Rymer is in charge of the entire look of the series. To put it basically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I'm obsessed with Ingmar Bergman movies!