User Tag List

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 4246

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Pancakes View Post
    Sorry for the late response, but I thought Carlito's Way was incredibly generic. If it weren't Al Pacino in the lead role it would be another wanna-be street redemption story. I predicted every single story arc when I first saw it.
    How is it generic? It re-invents the gangster to a certain extent, and bascially shows that how much you want to escape such a lifestyle, it can almost prove impossible at times.

It doesn't take a simple rise and fall focus point that so many other gangsters do, it takes a re-entry into society and what is basically a fall, which is more or less out of the gangsters hands this time around, which is quite different to the norm.
    Last edited by Cactus Lem; June 26th, 2008 at 5:07 AM.

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should watch it again and keep that in mind, but I remember really disliking it when I first saw it.

Ooh he's written it down.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest from Guy Ritchie: RocknRolla

Looks good. Jeremy Piven and Gerard Butler? I'm in.

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I watched Candy starring Heath Ledger last night. Pretty good flick. Both Ledger and the lead chick (forget her name) did very good jobs, really played their parts well. The film did a great job showing the power of addiction and the effects it can have on people financially, emotionally, and physically. And despite them being addicts making poor choices, you still cared about them and felt their pain as the story went along, and wanted them to work things out, get clean, and be together.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised there isn't a thread about Charlie Wilson's War, because I just saw it and it is tremendous.

Alf
    Well, are you a shepherd or a sheep?

...why not start a thread...

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't watch this if you haven't seen Children of Men, but this is the funniest internet thing I have seen in awhile.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f3ggyqujm2f

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I didnt already know this, I would now be questioning your sense of humour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched a film called Maria Full of Grace. I found it in the deep, dark shadows of my movies folder when looking for a film to watch with the missus that neither of us had seen before. I couldn't remember why I downloaded it or what it was about but it turned out to be a really good film. It's about a Columbian girl who becomes a Mule (somebody who smuggles drugs by digesting them) and it all goes a bit wrong. Nice little drama.

I found a few more films I have no recollection of downloading in the same folder so I'm hoping a few of those will be good too. The only title I recgonise out of them is Volver, which is that Penelope Cruz film I think. Might watch that tonight too, tis worth it just for the beauty of Cruz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen The Assasination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford?

Me and my brother started watching it last night, but just couldn't get through it. It wasn't particularly a bad film or anything, and I usually love films with deep character development and study, but this was just way to dull and way to subtle to keep us interested, and after an hour and a half we gave up.

Brad Pitt's Jesse James just didn't interest either us at all, Pitt wasn't exactly amazing in the role, and as the lead actor he just didn't have me hooked, which I saw as a massive fail. Cassie Afleck's character who was actually very interesting, and very good in the role of Robert Ford, just wasn't enough to keep me involved, especially since there was a 25 minute half hour period in which he wasn't featured.

Visualy the film can't be faulted, and I liked the feeling that some of the setting was able to translate, such as the claustraphobia of the train, or the isolation of some of the old west, but overall, the film in my opinion needed something more dramatic to keep me involved. It seemed like it was desperatley trying to stray away from any sort of Hollywood dramatic moment in order to be different. But I feel that that this hurt it massivley as it was just way to quiet, and at times scenes that didn't seem overly significant seemed to drag.

Anyway, very dissapointed overall.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Assassination of Jesse James was, far and away, my favorite film of last years litter.

It's a beautiful film. Not vibrant in it's beauty, though. It's not very vivid at all, and everything looks very dense. Brad Pitt looks absolutely ghostly during parts of the film. The scenes are set up very well, and the imagery is eerie, at times. Especially the winter moments. It's not action packed or particularly modern, like 3:10 to Yuma was. It's very reminiscent of older westerns; the commanding landscapes, the wandering passage of time, the perpetual loneliness. I loved it.

It plays into the legend of James without sacrificing the character development of his final months. They could've easily played up the gunslinger cowboy angle to get some extra box office, but they didn't at all. Every death in the movie is particularly methodical and gruesome.

Everybody in the cast is really strong. Sam Rockwell was awesome as Robert's brother Charlie, and made me forget he wasn't a complete dope. Casey Affleck put in another really solid role to go along with his Gone Baby Gone performance. But I absolutely adored Brad Pitt here. He captures some mystique for James. I watched every move he makes. The way he walks, what he's wearing, how he says what he says. It's a larger than life character, but not in the traditional sense, like some epic roles were(Charlton Heston as Moses, for example). It was a intensely reserved take, where you had to see him through the eyes of Robert Ford, as a celebrity before there really was such a thing.

I suppose if the arch of the story didn't grab you, it'd come off as pretty flat and uninspired, but being a fan of those stylish mood westerns, I fell in love. The biggest complaint about the film is definitely it's length. Nearly every critic that spoke ill of it said it had all the components of a wonderful film, but was stretched out beyond it'd boundaries for the sake of style and mood. I can definitely see where they're coming from, and why that would put some people off, but I watched the film almost like you'd read a piece of literature, which really makes quite a bit of sense here.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Lem View Post
    Has anyone seen The Assasination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford?

Me and my brother started watching it last night, but just couldn't get through it. It wasn't particularly a bad film or anything, and I usually love films with deep character development and study, but this was just way to dull and way to subtle to keep us interested, and after an hour and a half we gave up.

Brad Pitt's Jesse James just didn't interest either us at all, Pitt wasn't exactly amazing in the role, and as the lead actor he just didn't have me hooked, which I saw as a massive fail. Cassie Afleck's character who was actually very interesting, and very good in the role of Robert Ford, just wasn't enough to keep me involved, especially since there was a 25 minute half hour period in which he wasn't featured.

Visualy the film can't be faulted, and I liked the feeling that some of the setting was able to translate, such as the claustraphobia of the train, or the isolation of some of the old west, but overall, the film in my opinion needed something more dramatic to keep me involved. It seemed like it was desperatley trying to stray away from any sort of Hollywood dramatic moment in order to be different. But I feel that that this hurt it massivley as it was just way to quiet, and at times scenes that didn't seem overly significant seemed to drag.

Anyway, very dissapointed overall.
    Morrison's gonna kill ya.

While I disagree with much of your assessment, please go watch The Proposition, because it's BETTER, and Nick Cave & Warren Ellis are on even better form.

EDIT: And oh look there he is. "Far and away" though, Mori? You awful awful person.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Morrison's gonna kill ya.

While I disagree with much of your assessment, please go watch The Proposition, because it's BETTER, and Nick Cave & Warren Ellis are on even better form.

EDIT: And oh look there he is. "Far and away" though, Mori? You awful awful person.
    Killing commenced about a minute earlier.

Lem highly rates Babel, which I just can't understand! And Brad totally shit on that role with his turn as Jesse James.

Edit: would you rather me use 'head and shoulders above?'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    The Assassination of Jesse James was, far and away, my favorite film of last years litter.

It's a beautiful film. Not vibrant in it's beauty, though. It's not very vivid at all, and everything looks very dense. Brad Pitt looks absolutely ghostly during parts of the film. The scenes are set up very well, and the imagery is eerie, at times. Especially the winter moments. It's not action packed or particularly modern, like 3:10 to Yuma was. It's very reminiscent of older westerns; the commanding landscapes, the wandering passage of time, the perpetual loneliness. I loved it.

It plays into the legend of James without sacrificing the character development of his final months. They could've easily played up the gunslinger cowboy angle to get some extra box office, but they didn't at all. Every death in the movie is particularly methodical and gruesome.

Everybody in the cast is really strong. Sam Rockwell was awesome as Robert's brother Charlie, and made me forget he wasn't a complete dope. Casey Affleck put in another really solid role to go along with his Gone Baby Gone performance. But I absolutely adored Brad Pitt here. He captures some mystique for James. I watched every move he makes. The way he walks, what he's wearing, how he says what he says. It's a larger than life character, but not in the traditional sense, like some epic roles were(Charlton Heston as Moses, for example). It was a intensely reserved take, where you had to see him through the eyes of Robert Ford, as a celebrity before there really was such a thing.

I suppose if the arch of the story didn't grab you, it'd come off as pretty flat and uninspired, but being a fan of those stylish mood westerns, I fell in love. The biggest complaint about the film is definitely it's length. Nearly every critic that spoke ill of it said it had all the components of a wonderful film, but was stretched out beyond it'd boundaries for the sake of style and mood. I can definitely see where they're coming from, and why that would put some people off, but I watched the film almost like you'd read a piece of literature, which really makes quite a bit of sense here.
    Yeah I'm not gonna disagree with that as I can see why someone would enjoy it, but like you say in your final paragraph, it was "stretched out", and I really dislike films that pad and stretch things out needlesly. Spielberg often does it (although his films are obviously waaaaay more Hollywood than Jesse James), and I'm often taken out of the film due to that. Take a film of a similar length such as Goodfellas, and you get the feeling that every scene is vital and key the narrative in some way. Every scene develops a key character who plays a key part in the narrative, or furthers part of the plot significantly, I just didn't get that here. Stuff like that old man's bird getting a ragging while she's sat on the shitter for example just didn't seem overly significant and seemed to stray away from the main story arc of Ford and James, therefore taking me out of the film.

I've seen comparisons to Terrence Malick, and I'm a pretty big fan of Badlands and can kind of see where those comparisons come from, especially in regard to the acting style and looking up to an older rouge like figure, but in all I found that story easier to get into, and didn't think it padded anywhere close to the extent that Jesse James seemed too.

Also Ringo, I was meaning to watch The Proposition this week, but other stuff came up, and I'm off on holiday tomorow, so give it a couple of weeks.

I think I'm in the mood for some senseless violence today though, might watch Die Hard 4 later on, as I haven't re-watched it since getting it on DVD for christmas.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Killing commenced about a minute earlier.

Lem highly rates Babel, which I just can't understand! And Brad totally shit on that role with his turn as Jesse James.

Edit: would you rather me use 'head and shoulders above?'
    Well no, I'd RATHER you said "Hey Assassination of Jesse James was head and shoulders above the rest (apart from There Will Be Blood and maybe NCFOM and Atonement)" but that's just not going to happen IS IT.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except it wasn't far and away my favorite, or even my favorite at all.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Finally saw Spiderman at the weekend and wasn’t expecting to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Super fun stuff. I now must watch 2 and 3.

Kirsten Dunst is far better as a redhead. Although in this film, she looks like she’s about to fall asleep throughout.

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    My wife and I watched Candy starring Heath Ledger last night. Pretty good flick. Both Ledger and the lead chick (forget her name) did very good jobs, really played their parts well.
    Abby Cornish.

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, we looked her up after I wrote that. Thanks, though.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Well no, I'd RATHER you said "Hey Assassination of Jesse James was head and shoulders above the rest (apart from There Will Be Blood and maybe NCFOM and Atonement)" but that's just not going to happen IS IT.
    Well it was, IN MY OPINION, Ringo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Finally saw Spiderman at the weekend and wasn’t expecting to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Super fun stuff. I now must watch 2 and 3.
    Let the story end at 2. The third one will just piss you off.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with BB on that one...

Just got through watching "the air i breathe".

Had Forrest Whitaker, Brendan Fraser, Kevin Bacon, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Emile Hirsch and Andy Garcia..

A cheap knock off of Crash with all the stories tying together... much harder to follow the plot though, and obviously not nearly at gut wrenching.

I'm assuming it was a straight to DVD movie... might be worth a look if your into the multiple plot archs.

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched The Simpsons Movie on DVD yesterday. As good the second time as it was the first.
    Anyway, my point here is....Special Features...."Let's All Go to the Lobby"....funniest thing ever. Watched it four times, and nearly cried laughing. Amazing.

PurePlayer
    I just got done watching Blade Runner and North by Northwest. I have to say that I just couldn't get into Blade Runner for some reason. I just can't really explain it, but I thought I would like the movie better.

North by Northwest was a very good good thriller. The movie looked really good considering it was made in 1959. I think I am going to start watching more Hitchcock films as the only ones I have seen are Psycho and this one.

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely recommend you watch more Hitchcock. Rope, Vertigo, The Birds. All great stuff.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you liked North by Northwest, I'd go for Rear Window and Vertigo next.

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still need to see Rear Window yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact, just watch all the Jimmy Stewart/Hitchcock movies. I'm not sure, off the top of my head (I'm writing a paper for class and don't want to get too sidetracked by looking up Jimmy Stewart movies), but North by Northwest, Vertigo and Rear Window might be all the movies they did together. I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong about that, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear Window was great. It was like watching theatre on screen, really. If I recall correctly 'we' as the audience never actually left the main room of Stewart's apartment yet the film never really drags, it manages to just amp up the tension as we watch what happens to the other characters, and we share Stewart's predicament in that we are basically powerless and can't be sure we're seeing what we think we saw. The more I think about it the greater the idea to set a movie in an apartment, centred around an immobile man seems.

I couldn't get into Blade Runner either, PurePlayer. It started well but then seemed to just grow really fuzzy and meandering and by the end I didn't care any more. A shame, since it seemed right up my ally from all I'd heard about it. I would give it another chance but I just can't be bothered. Maybe if I'm really at a loss, or if someone can tell me why it's so good without being fanboyish.
    Last edited by The_Mike; July 8th, 2008 at 1:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put the Birds up there as one of the better Hitchcok movies... I still enjoy it to this day... Not too happy about the Naomi Watts remake, but I assume it will turn out better than the Vince Vaughn Psycho remake.

Btw, if you watch North by Northwest, there is a famous scene in which an extra gives away the plot well before the scene actually occurs.

In the Mount Rushmore cafe shooting scene... If you look closely, one of the extras, a child, has his hands over his ears awaiting the prop gun to fire. It's a quick little easter egg in the movie, but I think its pretty cool none the less.

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I definitely recommend you watch more Hitchcock. Rope, Vertigo, The Birds. All great stuff.
    Ahhh I forgot about The Birds. Great movie. I will try to catch Rear Window and Vertigo within the next couple weeks I hope.

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    I'd put the Birds up there as one of the better Hitchcok movies... I still enjoy it to this day... Not too happy about the Naomi Watts remake, but I assume it will turn out better than the Vince Vaughn Psycho remake.

Btw, if you watch North by Northwest, there is a famous scene in which an extra gives away the plot well before the scene actually occurs.

In the Mount Rushmore cafe shooting scene... If you look closely, one of the extras, a child, has his hands over his ears awaiting the prop gun to fire. It's a quick little easter egg in the movie, but I think its pretty cool none the less.
    I seem to remember reading that on imdb, so I think I must have seen North by Northwest to look that up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a really cool film teacher back in College...

He always took time out of class to show us the little mistakes/easter eggs that were hidden in the films we would watch.

Loved that class.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Vertigo" has to be my favorite, and that's saying something, owing to the immense degree I wanted to punch Jimmy Stewart in the face every time I watched him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How could you ever want to punch Mr. Smith in the face?

All he ever wanted to do was go to Washington and make progress for the everyman.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guy Ritchie may make a Sherlock Holmes film.

I'm not sure how to feel.

Never been a big fan of Guy Ritchie or British Gangster films in general but I love my Sherlock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently so is Apatow, with Will Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen.

But a comedy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't be as good as 'Without a Clue'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The King Of Kong" was one of the most talked-about documentary films of last year, and just looking at the premise of it -- two guys battle for the all time Donkey Kong hight score record - I really didn't see how it could be so compelling.

It's airing on the G4 network fairly frequently now, though, so I figured it'd be worth checking out just to see whether or not it lived up to all of the hype.

And boy, did it! Truly, there's no reason to believe that a docufilm about this topic could be anywhere near this entertaining, but it turns out that one of the guys is a really nice family man whose pursuit of the record is fucked with repeatdly for a number of reasons, and his rival is a complete and total asshole. There are a whole number of interesting side characters - some likeable, some deplorable. You actually find yourself pulling for the good guy.

Undeniably the best documentary film about a video game ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not forget that its deliberately and clever edited to build the two different sides, create a good vs evil binary opposition. Not say its not true, but its certainly exaggerated.

I bought There Will Be Blood and Juno this weekend and a few DVDs before that. I'm racing onto 400 now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Lets not forget that its deliberately and clever edited to build the two different sides, create a good vs evil binary opposition. Not say its not true, but its certainly exaggerated.
    Oh, very much so, but it was extremely effective.

They run a special on G4 after the movie, though, and it appears that that Billy guy really is just about that much of a dick in real life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought There Will Be Blood and Juno this weekend and a few DVDs before that. I'm racing onto 400 now.
    I'm gonna sell most my DVD's. I know I'll get knowt money for each one, but I'm sick and tired of my siblings lending them out without telling me and then not getting them back. I wanted to watch The Lost Boys yesterday but it was mysteriously missing from my collection. Same for Boyz n the Hood and Man Bites Dog, they've all gone walkabouts and it's only when I wanna watch them do I realize they've gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. An ex-girlfriend loaned 10 of my DVDs and never returned them. A year down the line, I've had to buy them again. I loaned one to an old work colleague and never saw that again, have lent a few around at work and struggle to remember who has what in order to get them back again. I'd say that over the year I've bought maybe 25 films twice because they've gone missing never to be returned. Shit crack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind as much if I actually knew which ones were missing. It's when I have a sudden urge to watch a film after hearing a song or remembering some quote from it just to find it ain't there. I was almost in tears when I couldn't find my La Haine. I knew it was my youngest sister who lent it out to one of her friends, she wanted look oh so sophisticated and intelligent by showing her mates she had some French film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the Rear Window recommendation - one of my fave Hitchcock films and one of a few that Stewart made after 1940 that I can stand.

If you'd like to go a little further back into Hitch's directing you might like Saboteur or Shadow of a Doubt - good stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post
    "The King Of Kong" was one of the most talked-about documentary films of last year, and just looking at the premise of it -- two guys battle for the all time Donkey Kong hight score record - I really didn't see how it could be so compelling.

It's airing on the G4 network fairly frequently now, though, so I figured it'd be worth checking out just to see whether or not it lived up to all of the hype.

And boy, did it! Truly, there's no reason to believe that a docufilm about this topic could be anywhere near this entertaining, but it turns out that one of the guys is a really nice family man whose pursuit of the record is fucked with repeatdly for a number of reasons, and his rival is a complete and total asshole. There are a whole number of interesting side characters - some likeable, some deplorable. You actually find yourself pulling for the good guy.

Undeniably the best documentary film about a video game ever.
    The biggest problem is

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    How could you ever want to punch Mr. Smith in the face?

All he ever wanted to do was go to Washington and make progress for the everyman.
    I don't know, but I really wouldn't mind punching him either. I think it's his voice; it just fills me with unexplainable hate and rage. Still, there's been at least a few movies of his that I've been able to still enjoy quite a bit (Rear Window, Anatomy of a Murder, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance).

Quote Originally Posted by cherry malotte View Post
    If you'd like to go a little further back into Hitch's directing you might like Saboteur or Shadow of a Doubt - good stuff.
    I just saw Shadow of a Doubt a few months ago, and I have to say that I was really dissapointed in it. Maybe it was because I had such high expectations, due to both my friend's recommendation and the fact it's in the IMDB 250, but I could not get into it at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw Shadow of a Doubt a few months ago, and I have to say that I was really dissapointed in it. Maybe it was because I had such high expectations, due to both my friend's recommendation and the fact it's in the IMDB 250, but I could not get into it at all.
    Awww...oh well. I just love Joseph Cotten being an nassssty man in it. That Imdb list is very goofy, and that's the polite way to put it. If you get a chance try Saboteur, the end is a killer. There was a documentary out on Norman Lloyd who really is the last of the Welles Mercury Theatre players and still has all his marbles, I would love to see it.

ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE!!!
    I wish I liked that more.

PurePlayer
    I just saw "There Will Be Blood." I really liked it, but not quite as much as No Country For Old Men though.

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can not bring myself to watch "There Will Be Blood", I don't know why but whenever I go to get it I always buy something else. I really wanna see:

1. The Dark Knight - Going while in Daytona this week.
    2. The Ruins - Heard it is worth a watch.
    3. Lions for Lambs
    4. Childern of Men - Still have not seen this fucking movie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I steal cable View Post
    Guy Ritchie may make a Sherlock Holmes film.

I'm not sure how to feel.

Never been a big fan of Guy Ritchie or British Gangster films in general but I love my Sherlock.
    Downey JR is set to play Sherlock...or so says Joblo.com

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeHead469 View Post
    I just can not bring myself to watch "There Will Be Blood", I don't know why but whenever I go to get it I always buy something else. I really wanna see:

1. The Dark Knight - Going while in Daytona this week.
    3. Lions for Lambs
    4. Childern of Men - Still have not seen this fucking movie.
    Children of Men is a very good movie. The Ruins was alright I guess. If you don't watch it then you won't miss anything. I also can't wait to see the Dark Knight. It's going to be epic.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cherry malotte View Post
    Awww...oh well. I just love Joseph Cotten being an nassssty man in it. That Imdb list is very goofy, and that's the polite way to put it. If you get a chance try Saboteur, the end is a killer. There was a documentary out on Norman Lloyd who really is the last of the Welles Mercury Theatre players and still has all his marbles, I would love to see it.
    Yeah, I know the IMDB list is "goofy", and it was more my friend's recommendation that made me watch it than anything. I do want to see Saboteur, as well. Hopefully when I get Netflix in the next week or two I'll finally be able to really work my way through the list of movies I want to see. First on the list is M.

2. The Ruins - Heard it is worth a watch.[/COLOR][/B]
    It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    Downey JR is set to play Sherlock...or so says Joblo.com
    That could be really interesting. I've been really impressed with Downey lately, so this could end up being pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3. Lions for Lambs.
    These viewing priorities of yours are completely back asswards.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. Lions for Lambs

Bitches be trippin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hellboy II was fucking grand. Far more memorable than the first one.

PurePlayer
    I really liked the first one. I just need to find someone I know that watched the first one in order to see this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First on the list is M.
    Let me know how you like it. I'm a Lorre fangal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Hellboy II was fucking grand. Far more memorable than the first one.
    Yeah, my friend wants me to go see Hellboy II with him this weekend, but I'm not really sure that I want to yet. I just watched the first one a couple of days ago, and I just thought it was amazingly...average. There wasn't anything that stood out about it for me. While there was nothing I actively hated about the movie, there was nothing that made me go, "Wow. That was cool." Not one scene, not one line, not one character.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Go see it. All the set-pieces are amazing. It's what the first Hellboy should have been. This one is pure Guillermo nuttiness whereas the first one was more studio filtered. The Myers "here, relate to this guy" character is gone. The villain, Prince Nuada, is awesome. You feel for him, but at the same time the movie doesn't resort to the lame "bad guy with a heart of gold" cliche.

Johann Krauss is the best thing that Seth MacFarlane has ever done. I don't like Family Guy, but his voice work here is outstanding.

Also, Selma Blair is worthy of a good deep-dicking. Apart from her goofy hair-cut she's bangin' hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    The biggest problem is
    Damn why did I click that spoiler?!

Andy
    I watched the Constant Gardener again last night. Bloody good film.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought Rescue Dawn today. Will watch to clear my hangover tomorrow morning. Bale.

Also why can I never find Hallowe'en 2 ANYWHERE except online?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Saw it the other day. Really fucking good, although I was probably hoping for a bit more in terms of artsy fartsy fancy scenes with brilliant music and funny lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2K View Post
    Damn why did I click that spoiler?!
    Seriously, watch the next G4 airing that you can. The whole follow-up show is beyond interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.R.F. View Post
    Bought Rescue Dawn today. Will watch to clear my hangover tomorrow morning. Bale.

Also why can I never find Hallowe'en 2 ANYWHERE except online?
    Really? I see Halloween 2 in almost every store I go. The one I had trouble finding was Halloween 4 a year or two ago. Looked everywhere, and could not find it. I would have had to order it online, but then I got it for Christmas.

I won Juno at a school thing back in May, and it's just been sitting unopened around my apartment ever since, so I finally brought it back to Best Buy. Since I didn't have the receipt, I had to do an exchange, and I ended up getting Gone Baby Gone, one of my favorite movies from last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you not watch Juno?

PurePlayer
    I know that question is not directed towards me, but I have no intention to ever watch Juno. It probably is a really good movie, but I just don't want to watch it.

Speaking of Halloween dvds, I am usually able to see all of them on the shelf except for Halloween 6. That is the only Halloween movie I never see on tv or on the dvd shelf. It's not like I plan on purchasing it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you not watch Juno?
    No, I didn't. I do want to see it, and will probably get it through Netflix eventually, but I didn't want to open it in case it turned out to be a movie that I watch once and never watch again, which from what I've heard (admittedly not always a fair indicator), is what it will be, especially when I can just exchange it for a movie that I know I like, and will want to see again.

Really, the only reason I've even had Juno so long is a combination of laziness and spending about a month back home, where there's no Best Buy within convenient driving distance.

Bodeine Brazy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, I bought Garden State the other day, and I forgot just how much I loved it. I've watched it twice already, and I could be up for a 3rd today Natalie is just perfection in it, and Zach Braff impresses me. I highly doubt The Last Kiss is worth the download time though, even with The OC chick..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I know that question is not directed towards me, but I have no intention to ever watch Juno. It probably is a really good movie, but I just don't want to watch it.

Speaking of Halloween dvds, I am usually able to see all of them on the shelf except for Halloween 6. That is the only Halloween movie I never see on tv or on the dvd shelf. It's not like I plan on purchasing it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorruptJustice View Post
    No, I didn't. I do want to see it, and will probably get it through Netflix eventually, but I didn't want to open it in case it turned out to be a movie that I watch once and never watch again, which from what I've heard (admittedly not always a fair indicator), is what it will be, especially when I can just exchange it for a movie that I know I like, and will want to see again.

Really, the only reason I've even had Juno so long is a combination of laziness and spending about a month back home, where there's no Best Buy within convenient driving distance.
    Couple of curiously stupid guys you two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see what's that stupid about trading a movie that I'm not sure I want to own for a movie that I do want to own. It's not like I'm never going to see Juno, and if I do end up liking it I can always go and buy it again.

PurePlayer
    Couple of curiously stupid guys you two.
    Yeah maybe. There are just more movies that I would rather see before this one. I have movies like American Psycho, Vertigo, Full Metal Jacket, Boyz N The Hood, Requiem For a Dream, etc that I still need to watch.

Andy
    Films I've watched in the last 2 days:

The Constant Gardener
    Juno
    Layer Cake
    Top Gun
    The Incredibles

Films I plan on watching tonight:

Goodfellas
    The Matrix
    The Truman Show

Yeah, all my mates are on holiday or at T in the Park this weekend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah maybe. There are just more movies that I would rather see before this one. I have movies like American Psycho, Vertigo, Full Metal Jacket, Boyz N The Hood, Requiem For a Dream, etc that I still need to watch.
    Plus Juno isn't particulaly brilliant.

I'd say your priorities are well in order

Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juno was pretty meh. I'd rate all of the movies I've seen in that list (4/5) above it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on watching John Woo's "The Killer" tonight, as I've been on a bit of a Chow Yun-Fat marathon as of late, whilst re-visiting "Stranglehold" on the 360.

Watched:
    Hard Boiled
    Better Tomorrow I, II & III
    Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End
    Bulletproof Monk (eurgh)
    The Replacement Killers

Lined up to watch:
    City on Fire
    Once a Thief
    Tiger on the Beat
    God of Gamblers
    The Corrupter
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Curse of the Golden Flower

I don't know why, but I find the universal appeal of this guy quite intriguing. He doesn't have th emartial arts background of a Jackie Chan or Jet Li and most of his movies aren't even in English, yet his charisma can't be denied. Obviously John Woo has played a major part in that, but when watching the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD's. it's obvious that he is infact just a very warm person to be around.

I tracked down and got watch both Shoalin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle whilst I was in the eastern mood. The humour was very hit and miss for me, but enjoyable overall non-the-less

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
    God, I bought Garden State the other day, and I forgot just how much I loved it. I've watched it twice already, and I could be up for a 3rd today Natalie is just perfection in it, and Zach Braff impresses me. I highly doubt The Last Kiss is worth the download time though, even with The OC chick..
    You're right about The Last Kiss. It's not worth the time...

But I don't blame him for shacking up with Bilson... she's definitely one of the hottest actresses out there right now.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came home from work the other day after an hour of being there because of a sinus infection/conjunctivitis/whatever and ended up catch the last two hours of Dances With Wolves. I'd always been curious of the film, since it does get a lot of critical praise, but I can't remember ever watching a Kevin Costner film that I've actually really enjoyed, so I've been put off numerous times from actually sitting and watch it. But it really is a wonderful movie, outside the diary voiceover's of Dunbar's, which sound quite awful in comparison with the rest of the acting.

But the only problem I see, is that I missed the first 45 minutes to and hour of the film. So while it was an amazing 2 hour film, I don't know if it'll keep up that level for three. I almost don't want to go back and watch that first hour.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I'm watching a film about Geronimo now with Matt Damon, Duvall & WES FUCKING STUDI in right now. It's good. I like Dances With Wolves a fair bit. I love films like that.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you watch it instead of POSTING HERE THEN you mentalist.

Pulp Fiction is on BBC Two, for whatever reason I've never seen it before.

Andy
    Absolute classic.

PurePlayer
    Originally Posted by Morrison
    but I can't remember ever watching a Kevin Costner film that I've actually really enjoyed, so I've been put off numerous times from actually sitting and watch it.
    Did you ever watch the Untouchables? I thought that was a pretty good film that involved Costner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, Blood that reminded me

Chow Yun Fat is just...total class.

The Rice scene in A Better Tomorrow 2 is just pure ridiculous and the whole ending of that movie is great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Shaolin Soccer a lot. Thought it was better than Kung Fu Hustle.

Also, Chow Yun Fat is pretty awesome. I really hated Crouching Tiger when I first saw it, but I watched again a couple years after it'd come out and loved it. It's really a beautiful film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not a fan of Crouching Tiger, I just don't like wires in Martial Arts movies.

Esp after seeing what someone like Tony jaa can apparantly do without them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was one of the things I had a real problem with on first viewing. For me, I went in expecting a martial arts movie along the lines of what I'd been exposed to previously, as far as martial arts movies go. Needless to say, Wu Tang and Bruce Lee movies certainly weren't as beautiful and artistically executed as Crouching Tiger.

The second time I watched it, I viewed more as the love story that it is and really loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So RZA is going to be directing a Martial Arts movie soon, that could be pretty cool

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever watch the Untouchables? I thought that was a pretty good film that involved Costner.
    Yep, never liked it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Waterworld.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    Why don't you watch it instead of POSTING HERE THEN you mentalist.

Pulp Fiction is on BBC Two, for whatever reason I've never seen it before.
    Ever heard of an AD BREAK, you fat dickhead you?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember ever watching a Kevin Costner film that I've actually really enjoyed, so I've been put off numerous times from actually sitting and watch it.
    Not a fan of For Love of The Game?

Epic baseball movie... thought it really caught the essence of the sport.

Plus its a Sam Raimi movie... and most outside of Spiderman 3 are damn good.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like baseball, so no, not even remotely interested in watching that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then, that accounts for three of Costner's better movies...

Field of Dreams, Bull Durham and For The Love Of The Game.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Field of Dreams is a nice little film, but I enjoyed it mostly because of James Earl Jones, and it's not something I go back to watch since once again, I'm not a big sports fan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't like FODs at all. Never understood what the hubub was all about. And I like baseball.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to know what makes me feel old?

Seeing Family Matters, Fresh Prince, Roseanne, and Home Improvement on Nick at Nite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanna know what makes me feel sad?

The fact that people are still interested in watching Family Matters altogether. I'm almost inclined to lump Home Improvement in there right next to it, but it was certainly a substantially better show than Family Matters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's pretty awful. Remember when Urkle invented a "cool" machine and became Stephon? Move over Bill Shakespeare!

What's next? Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place? Herman's Head?

At least the early Fresh Prince episodes, with the real Aunt Viv, are still hilarious.