User Tag List

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 4246

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    All of them would be fascinating. Could even add 'The Machinist' to the list too.
    I just saw the movie a couple days ago. I am glad that you guys all recommended it. Fantastic film.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    So I watched The Squid & The Whale earlier. Definitely not the most cheerful of films, but both moving and poignant. Very short at just over an hour long, but they still pack a whole load of stuff into that hour. Great stuff.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be on the lookout for Anchorman 2 starting up sometime soon...

From a Steve Carell article...

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/06/04...horman-sequel/

Just last week, Will Ferrell attended one of our MTV Movie Awards Sneak Peek Week screenings of “The Foot Fist Way,” dropped a Ron Burgundy imitation on the audience, and confirmed that he and writer/director Adam McKay are in the beginning stages of plotting out a sequel. Now, the star of “Get Smart” has confirmed that they’ve been in touch with him, and that he’s eager to step back into the Seventies.
    I'd be all for it... but only if they can somehow top the first one. I still to this day find Anchorman to be the funniest of all of the "frat pack" movies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    So I watched The Squid & The Whale earlier. Definitely not the most cheerful of films, but both moving and poignant. Very short at just over an hour long, but they still pack a whole load of stuff into that hour. Great stuff.
    Very definitly a busy little flick for sure.

Underrated? I dare say so. Fewer people have seen it than should be the case.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife and I watched that flick, and both thought it was pretty darn good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/06/...er/#more-11900

I pretty much despise Bill Maher. He's a prick and his pseudo-intellectual musings make me want to set him ablaze. This movie, however, looks promising. It's directed by Larry Charles of Borat fame.

They should have gotten Christopher Hitchens for this film. He'd have done it for a bottle of booze and a carton of smokes. He's also a smart fellow who has actually traveled the world and studied the dangers of religion.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Bill Maher may not be the most perfect man in the world, but he always raises opinions from both sides of the coin even when it doesn't favor him. The trailer that you linked actually looks amazing and I can't wait.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friends are going to You Don't Mess With the Zohan tonight. After much deliberation, I decided to stay home because after all, it does look pretty awful. Then again, Grandma's Boy is one of my favorite comedies in recent years, so I do still have some faith in the Sandler crew. Anyone see Zohan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    Bill Maher may not be the most perfect man in the world, but he always raises opinions from both sides of the coin even when it doesn't favor him. The trailer that you linked actually looks amazing and I can't wait.
    Not to call you out... but when is the last time... if ever.... that Maher has said anything remotely positive about a Republican/conservative viewpoint?

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a giftcard that I had to use, so I went out and bought a few DVDs a couple days ago. I got:

Casablanca
    3:10 to Yuma
    No Country for Old Men
    Good Will Hunting
    Chinatown

I'd actually never seen Chinatown before, and I was absolutely blown away by it, especially by Jack's acting. Before this, I'd always considered his best acting job to be in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I think his acting in Chinatown was even better than that.

I also rented a few movies this weekend, and was pissed that every copy of There Will be Blood was gone. So I ended up renting:

AVP: Requiem - much better than the first one, but it still sucked.

National Treasure 2 - Not very good, but I'm a sucker for treasure hunt movies, so I kind of enjoyed it. I do wish Sean Bean's character had somehow managed to come back, though, as I enjoyed his role in the first one more than I did Ed Harris's in this one.

Full Metal Jacket - The first half of this film is amazing, but the rest of it feels pretty average to me. Am I the only one that feels this way about it?

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KorruptJustice View Post
    Full Metal Jacket - The first half of this film is amazing, but the rest of it feels pretty average to me. Am I the only one that feels this way about it?
    Nope.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some Kubrick films do that. Look at Clockwork Orange. The movie is great the whole way through, but hits a stop in action about mid way through when the character gets
    There are some parts of violence and gore afterwards of course, but nothing compared to the first half of it.

I only remember up to a certain part in Full Metal Jacket, the part where they go to South America and find some hookers. After that it's a bit hazy. Must watch it again..

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South America? Wow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetony View Post
    Some Kubrick films do that. Look at Clockwork Orange. The movie is great the whole way through, but hits a stop in action about mid way through when the character gets
    There are some parts of violence and gore afterwards of course, but nothing compared to the first half of it.

I only remember up to a certain part in Full Metal Jacket, the part where they go to South America and find some hookers. After that it's a bit hazy. Must watch it again..
    Just get the fuck out of here. You completely missed the point of Clockwork, and don't even know where Full Metal Jacket takes place. Thanks for chiming in, though. Fucking a, I weep for the future.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Jesus christ. South America for fuck sake. What?

Where is Vietnam, tony?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In South America, duh!

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's obviously right, though.

2001: A Space Odyssey has no car chases or explosions throughout the entire thing! And, really, A Clockwork Orange starts off cool with the violence, but then there's no violence! What could the film possibly be about? amirite?

It's also totally unrealistic in Paths of Glory, because it takes place in Delaware and Delaware is NOT like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd actually never seen Chinatown before, and I was absolutely blown away by it, especially by Jack's acting. Before this, I'd always considered his best acting job to be in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but I think his acting in Chinatown was even better than that.
    Yeah, Chinatown is one of my favorite movies. For me, the best acting came from John Huston, who may or may not have influenced Daniel Day-Lewis' mannerisms in There Will Be Blood.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I don't know about you guys, but I've never been to a hotel that puked up blood out of the elevator shaft.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Pancakes View Post
    Yeah, Chinatown is one of my favorite movies. For me, the best acting came from John Huston, who may or may not have influenced Daniel Day-Lewis' mannerisms in There Will Be Blood.
    You bastard, you ruined the sarcastic flow.

Faye is smoking in Chinatown. She used to be so gorgeous. Love Bonnie and Clyde.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, honestly, one of the reasons I don't like Lord of the Rings is because of how unrealistic it is. None of that shit would ever happen in real life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You led a sheltered life. I used to hang out with Hobbits and Dwarves all the time when I was but a wee lad. In fact, a friend and I went on a very important mission once because we had this ring that some old dude said was pretty dangerous so we threw it in a volcano and had gay sex on the side of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Pancakes View Post
    Well, honestly, one of the reasons I don't like Lord of the Rings is because of how unrealistic it is. None of that shit would ever happen in real life.
    Not really, sure there's a ton of fantastical elements to the movies, but the basis of the book and films were the struggle between good and evil.
    Sauron wanting to rule Middle Earth, trying to reclaim the one thing that gives him this great power. It's no different than some dictator trying to set his will on everyone and doing so with destructive forces like nuclear power or what have you.
    A lot of what Tolkien wrote about with his books are based loosely on the war he fought in.

All that's "not real" are the characters and the magical stuff, but aside from that, it's not hard to grasp, and knowing it's a fantasy movie, should be quite expected.

edit: Unless HOP was being sarcastic there due to what just occured on the last page, I dont know. I just read all that after I posted. The films rule all the same.
    Last edited by Zen; June 8th, 2008 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL way to go.

BAHAHAHA nice edit.
    Last edited by Jimmy Zero; June 8th, 2008 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zen, he was kidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I realized that, it's just that his post was the first post on my page, and I figured some sort of LOTR chatter had occured and he was chiming in on them.

Ah well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but back to rambling discussions:

Anybody still got movies they watched as a kid that they still watch now? Uncle Buck was on TV the other day, and I'd forgotten just how amazingly awesome that movie is.

"Ever heard of a ritual killing? Gnaw on her face in public like that again, and you'll be one. Meh heh heh heh!"

"Get in your mouse and get out of here!"

"What's his last name? Spray?"

What a hilarious movie.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post

Anybody still got movies they watched as a kid that they still watch now? Uncle Buck was on TV the other day, and I'd forgotten just how amazingly awesome that movie is.

"Ever heard of a ritual killing? Gnaw on her face in public like that again, and you'll be one. Meh heh heh heh!"

What a hilarious movie.
    I have three that I used to watch as a kid and continue to watch today: Tremors, Gremlins, and Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghostbusters would be mine. The ghost in the library scared the hell out of me when I was younger. It's one of those films where I can remember the exact tone of voice in dialogue scenes, the music used in specific scenes, etc.

I wouldn't watch Short Circuit very often, but I did pick it up cheap on DVD in America two years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    A lot of what Tolkien wrote about with his books are based loosely on the war he fought in.
    Not according to Tolkien.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ghostbusters would be mine. The ghost in the library scared the hell out of me when I was younger. It's one of those films where I can remember the exact tone of voice in dialogue scenes, the music used in specific scenes, etc.

I wouldn't watch Short Circuit very often, but I did pick it up cheap on DVD in America two years ago.
    JONNY 5 IS ALIVE!!!

Oh my god, I used to LOVE those Short Circuit movies. The second one where he got all punk rock to beat up the bad guys? Ultimate cheesey goodness.

And yeah, that beginning scene with the ghost in the library was the first time I realized that I liked movies to scare the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a hilarious movie.
    Hell yeah. There are loads of movies that I adored as a kid, and still love today, with Uncle Buck being one of them. I watched Uncle Buck a couple of months back actually, it's just a fun film. Don't need to take things too seriously, just sit back and laugh along with John Candy for 90 minutes.

I like most John Hughes films from the 80's actually, and watched the majority for the first time as a kid, with both Home Alone films being the other stand out's. I know Home Alone 2 almost word for word

The Back to the Future movies have been some of my favourite films since about the age of 5, the first two especially. When I went to Universal Studios in LA, the back lot tour took us down to the set used for Hill Valley in Back to the Future, and I went crazy with excitment. We drove right past the Clock Tower

I also still love the animated Transformers film, and a whole bunch of Arnie films that I'd watch behind my mum's back as a kid, as well as Die Hard.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus christ. South America for fuck sake. What?

Where is Vietnam, tony?
    Woah now, as I said it's been awhile since I've seen the movie. All I remember from that part is mexican looking chicks. I must've thought they were on vacation or something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mexican looking chicks.

Fucking shit, man. What do you call this?

Chinese? You're such a dumb ass.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rasta man. That's one culture I do know. I saw the movie along time ago. I shouldn't be making excuses, but it was just a mistake. Damn..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved that movie Platoon, the way they captured the essance of Mexico in it was brilliant. It wasn't as great Apocalypse Now, which clearly took place in Canada.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by thetony View Post
    Rasta man. That's one culture I do know. I saw the movie along time ago. I shouldn't be making excuses, but it was just a mistake. Damn..
    No, I'm pretty sure you know nothing about the Rastafarian culture other than "Bob Marley was one, maaaan".

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made to watch the bucket list. Was ok but there was a shite CGI monet aboust skydiving. IT WAS SOOOO BAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Lem View Post
    The Back to the Future movies have been some of my favourite films since about the age of 5, the first two especially. When I went to Universal Studios in LA, the back lot tour took us down to the set used for Hill Valley in Back to the Future, and I went crazy with excitment. We drove right past the Clock Tower
    You're lucky then. The clock tower burned to the ground in the recent fire at the Universal Studios lot.

What a shame.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of shit got destroyed in that fire. A buddy of mine who's "in the industry" (what a bunch of faggots, seriously) thinks that Universal was in on the fire because they're going bankrupt and want the insurance money. Who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought:

No Country for Old Men
    Cloverfield
    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else get motion sickness from Cloverfield?

I've never had a problem with movies before... but the hand held camera work got to me while in the theaters.
    Last edited by VanillaJello; June 9th, 2008 at 1:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deliberately.

Walking the earth The Masked Jobber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloverfield gave me goosebumps when I saw it, I think it was mostly down to the sound though as it was immensely loud in the cinema.

PurePlayer
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    Anyone else get motion sickness from Cloverfield?

I've never had a problem with movies before... but the hand held camera work got to me while in the theaters.
    That's the point my man.

Great movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought:The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Probably what won him the Bond villian job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reports are going around saying that Paul Newman is dying from lung cancer. I sincerely hope not. If anyone deserves to live forever, this is that man. Please...that cbac now and give Newman another 30 years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks about Paul Newman. Hopefully it's just a rumour or exaggeration or something.

Speaking of rumours, according to IMDB and Wikipedia (yeah, the best sources ever) there are plans to make a feature of King Lear, starring Anthony Hopkins as King Lear and Keira Knightley as Cordelia. Lear is my absolute favourite Shakespeare play, and they are two of my favourite actors, so I would love to see that happen. Were I to do ridiculous fantasy fan-casting of such a play, those two would be the ones I'd want for the roles. So, any chance of this actually happening?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone seen that Doomsday film that was out recently?

Just watched it there, what a fucking weird film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...my college Head of Department and I have been planning some genres for study next year and I've come up with a rather lovely list of comic book films for a neat and tidy, wonderfully creative and very useful scheme of work.

She's come up with a list of average-bad movies and called them 'Teen Drama', when most of them arent even teen drama. I've adapted her list and come up with films that I feel are good as well as from the same genre, films like:

Breakfast Club
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Ghost World
    Donnie Darko
    Garden State
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Juno

Problem is, I dont really know how to define this genre succintly. Words I'm thinking of are 'Cult, Teen, Youth Pictures, Indie films', yet there doesnt seem to be a generic term as far as I can think of. How would you lot best categorise them?

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what I would call it, but I enjoyed all the movies on your list.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like 'Youth Culture' or 'Teenage Society'.

Cult would probably need to fit in somewhere too, but 'teenage cult' seems slightly un-nerving.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...my college Head of Department and I have been planning some genres for study next year and I've come up with a rather lovely list of comic book films for a neat and tidy, wonderfully creative and very useful scheme of work.

She's come up with a list of average-bad movies and called them 'Teen Drama', when most of them arent even teen drama. I've adapted her list and come up with films that I feel are good as well as from the same genre, films like:

Breakfast Club
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Ghost World
    Donnie Darko
    Garden State
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Juno

Problem is, I dont really know how to define this genre succintly. Words I'm thinking of are 'Cult, Teen, Youth Pictures, Indie films', yet there doesnt seem to be a generic term as far as I can think of. How would you lot best categorise them?
    Altrernative Drama? Not to make it sound all faggy, but those movies all appeal to the same group that loves alternative rock/indie rock. I mean, Judd Nelson, you know? They really wouldn't fall under my definition of a "cult" movie. When I think of a cult movie, I think of Toxic Avenger or Streets of Fire.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched The Number 23. Heard some rather average/not too good reviews of it, but the wife and I both thought it was decent. It wasn't awesome, but it was pretty good.
    One random thing, though:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember a talking dog.

But I do remember a terribly bad film, with convinient plot devices to fufil it's non-sensical and truly terrible original plotline.

Some of the "story" sequences had some nice effects on them though.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we watched Children of Men last night, which made up for it then.
    Oddly enough, my wife really liked 23 a lot, and said she'd rank it higher than CoM, like 8/10. I'm the other way around, I thought 23 was maybe 6/10, but CoM was probably 8/10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, she's wrong.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, and I'll take quiet satisfaction in knowing that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Funny Games the other night, and couldn't get into it.

And the biggest issue I had with the movie, was the pacing. It was sooooo slow, they really should of edited some of it out. I really didn't need to watch Naomi Watts stumble around for 10 minutes, or play with the cell phone. The only positive for me was the acting, which was good just not enough to keep me intrigued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is interested, at http://rainbowmoth.wordpress.com I have developed a website for my music and film reviews. I don't expect it to be that great, but it's something fun to do.

The only movie I have up there so far is Wild Strawberries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and saw Gone Baby Gone today. Dunno if I'm overrating it a little due to being so engrossed and wrapped up in the films twists by its conclusion, but what a film, easily my favourite film of 2007.

What I liked most about the film was how we are made to question morals, and really end up wondering what really is right and what the hell is wrong. The motivations where obviously very similar to Mystic River which was a film I enjoyed immensley, but I thought this was a little better, as I just didn't see some of the twists coming and was totally amazed and fooled by some of the revelations when discovered.

I also loved the local flavour that Affleck managed to give the picture, making Boston's districts seem like tight knit communities in which you can quite easily slip into bad or good.

Just an awesome film that I feel has gotten overlooked massivley. I'm kinda puzzled over the lack of Oscars it got nominated for. The fact that Juno was nominated over this for best film just seem's crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I liked Juno, there was a real wealth of exceptional films this year. If there was a year for the Academy to avoid its quaint comedic token film nomination, this was it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Have you seen No Country and TWBB yet, Mik?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I'll watch No Country this weekend. There Will Be Blood isnt out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have either of you guys seen Gone Baby Gone out of interest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet...Soon.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Have either of you guys seen Gone Baby Gone out of interest?
    Nah, haven't yet, but I will do soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh do, I thought it was miles more enjoyable than No Country For Old Men. Not gonna say it's a better directed film or anything, because that would be discredting a hell of a lot of No Country's content, but Gone Baby Gone certainly provided more of what I look for and what I like out of film.

Also gotta say, I realised while watching the Gine Baby Gone that Ed Harris has gotta be one of my favourite actors. Never really thought about it before, but the guy is immense.
    Last edited by Cactus Lem; June 17th, 2008 at 6:25 PM.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TP1 View Post
    I watched Funny Games the other night, and couldn't get into it.

And the biggest issue I had with the movie, was the pacing. It was sooooo slow, they really should of edited some of it out. I really didn't need to watch Naomi Watts stumble around for 10 minutes, or play with the cell phone. The only positive for me was the acting, which was good just not enough to keep me intrigued.
    Fuuny Games is so fucking out there I reccomend it just on the fact that it's never boring. The long drawn out shots of a house get to the point of being laughable. The bad guys are so fucking creepy they can't be real. And

It's just a totally fucked up film, and even if you don't like it, you are at least paying attention.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yeh do, I thought it was miles more enjoyable than No Country For Old Men. Not gonna say it's a better directed film or anything, because that would be discredting a hell of a lot of No Country's content, but Gone Baby Gone certainly provided more of what I look for and what I like out of film.

Also gotta say, I realised while watching the Gine Baby Gone that Ed Harris has gotta be one of my favourite actors. Never really thought about it before, but the guy is immense.
    Well I certainly can't see myself liking it anywhere near as much as TWBB based on the trailers and who's involved etc., but I'll obviously give it a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I certainly can't see myself liking it anywhere near as much as TWBB based on the trailers and who's involved etc., but I'll obviously give it a go.
    I felt the same going in to be honest, and was shocked at just how much I liked it. Trailers are never a good indication for me to be honest.

Your love for TWBB is so strong though, that I can't see anything topping it for you to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I may have a film marathon this weekend, trying to catch up on some of the stuff I've bought recently but havent had time to watch.

No Country For Old Men
    Rescue Dawn
    Zodiac
    Into the Wild
    Michael Clayton
    Assassination of Jesse James

Those should keep me going for the weekend.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Aye, probably true since TWBB is top 5 of the Noughties for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely. I adore him. He just has a great aura to him and plays some fantastic characters.

I watched A History of Violence for the third time yesterday, and it rekindled my love for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    Definitely. I adore him. He just has a great aura to him and plays some fantastic characters.

I watched A History of Violence for the third time yesterday, and it rekindled my love for him.
    Yeah gotta love him there, he's just so haunting and intimidating, really makes your spine chill. Got an evil smile there as well.

I also liked him a lot in Buffalo Soldiers, which I haven't seen in a while now, but remember being very underrated.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Rescue Dawn
    Reckon I'll finally watch this on Thurs/Fri, since it's currently on SBO. Might give Into The Wild a watch as well if that's still available as well. Rescue hasn't received as much critical praise as I'd have expected/hoped when you consider the fact that it's FUCKIN HERZOG and BALE, but I'm sure it's still lovely.

I haven't seen Zodiac yet, but the other three are obviously super. There's something about Clayton which I can't quite put my finger on. It's pretty great.

I really liked Jesse James, which is unsurprising really because it's very Proposition-esque (well, apart from both having Cave soundtracks). Doesn't really match The Proposition for me though.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon I'll finally watch this on Thurs/Fri, since it's currently on SBO. Might give Into The Wild a watch as well if that's still available as well. Rescue hasn't received as much critical praise as I'd have expected/hoped when you consider the fact that it's FUCKIN HERZOG and BALE, but I'm sure it's still lovely.

I haven't seen Zodiac yet, but the other three are obviously super. There's something about Clayton which I can't quite put my finger on. It's pretty great.

I really liked Jesse James, which is unsurprising really because it's very Proposition-esque (well, apart from both having Cave soundtracks). Doesn't really match The Proposition for me though.
    I loved Rescue Dawn. I don't think it made my top 10 for last year, but I think that's simply because I forgot about it while compiling my list. That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but it is an excellent film. Bale's performance is definitely on par with what you'd expect out of him, Steve Zahn is pretty great in a serious role and Daniel Faraday is around. Didn't want it to end.
    Last edited by Morrison; June 17th, 2008 at 7:08 PM.

Sparklin'
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching Hell's Kitchen since last week. All these bitchy wannabe chefs are pretty damn entertaining, and Gordon is amazingly brutal.
    To top it off Christina is pretty hot.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a huge fan of Hell's Kitchen, simply because of the reality show aspect of it. But I love Gordon Ramsey to scary levels. Having been trained in the culinary arts, and having worked in a kitchen to some extent since I was 15, he just makes so much sense to me. He's a complete asshole, but with a wicked sense of humor, which are the type of people I've worked around for years and consider my closest friends. I'll watch Kitchen Nightmares anytime I see it on BBC America, even if I've seen that particular episode two times over.

Sparklin'
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed man. I just started to watch HK, even though it's been on quite a few years now. I discovered Ramsay's awesomeness through Kitchen Nightmares, and like it better. If I have time for tv, anything with the guy is better than the alternative programs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Hell's Kitchen, simply because of the reality show aspect of it. But I love Gordon Ramsey to scary levels. Having been trained in the culinary arts, and having worked in a kitchen to some extent since I was 15, he just makes so much sense to me. He's a complete asshole, but with a wicked sense of humor, which are the type of people I've worked around for years and consider my closest friends. I'll watch Kitchen Nightmares anytime I see it on BBC America, even if I've seen that particular episode two times over.
    Wow, that's pretty awesome. What kind of cooking style (I guess you would call it?) are you trained in?

I love all these food reality shows. Top Chef and Kitchen Nightmares are probably my favorites, since the original Iron Chef is no longer aired. The American Iron Chef is just ok. Top Chef really is fucking great. I love seeing those pompous faggot contestants get dressed down by world class chefs.

Kitchen Nightmares speaks for itself, really. Anyone who can't enjoy watching Gordon go nuclear on people who absolutely deserve it is probably a huge douche.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's pretty awesome. What kind of cooking style (I guess you would call it?) are you trained in?

I love all these food reality shows. Top Chef and Kitchen Nightmares are probably my favorites, since the original Iron Chef is no longer aired. The American Iron Chef is just ok. Top Chef really is fucking great. I love seeing those pompous faggot contestants get dressed down by world class chefs.

Kitchen Nightmares speaks for itself, really. Anyone who can't enjoy watching Gordon go nuclear on people who absolutely deserve it is probably a huge douche.
    Traditional French cooking. My culinary instructor was actually from Liverpool, and he was pretty cool too. He had the same biting wit and general douchey attitude towards idiocy that Gordon has, only because he was a teacher, he couldn't put it on display as often as a normal chef in a commercial kitchen would be able to. A lot of the kids in my class had no intentions of following through with being a cook/chef after graduating(it was a technical high school), so he tended to take a better focus with the people who did. So I'd constantly see him rolling his eyes behind a students back, and I'd get his real thoughts on the class and how it was going. Fun times.

The chef I was employed under was a CIA graduate that was dealt heavily in Italian cooking. I learned most of my skills, and developed my work ethic, on the job under him and my sous chef.

I dig the original Iron Chef, but these reality/game show cooking programs just don't do it for me. I guess having worked in a kitchen, the challenges/activities just seem really contrived to me.

Kitchen Nightmares is one of my favorite shows of all time. I love how foul Gordon can be, and he just doesn't give a shit. The Sandgate episode, where he's trying to teach the woman owner to be more forceful and stern with her employees, and sets up bottles with wooden spoons in them with the faces of her workers pasted on to them is one of my favorite moments. He tells her to be brutally honest and act as if it's the real person instead of just an exercise, and she goes totally soft and doesn't get confrontational at all. So he kinda blows up and shows her how she should be doing it by belting out an ass-chewing with an expletive or two to one of the bottles. Then they both sit there for a second or two, and he goes 'you don't have to use fucking, that's a chef thing.' I was like 'YUS!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFrL5S421pw

That's the clip right there. The exercise begins at about 2:40.
    Last edited by Morrison; June 17th, 2008 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone Baby Gone was by far my favorite movie of 2007. It blew me away with how good it turned out to be.

Speaking of Ed Harris..

Check out Cleaner.

It's Harris, Samuel L. Jackson and Eva Mendes.

It's a straight to DVD release, but it's not horrible.... and you could do much worse for a rental.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, so you can say fuck and shit on British television? Awesome.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know when I watched it on BBC America, 'fuck' was bleeped out. But they do get away with some other profanity it seems.

That clip I linked to has the Food Network logo in the bottom corner there. I've never seen Nightmares on the Food Network over here in the US, and even so, I'm fairly sure if it has, they'd bleep out the word too. Don't know why it's uncut in the clip, though I'm not complaining.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only words I've heard bleeped out on BBC are fuck and cunt, but everything else seems to be alright.

That said, I enjoy Kitchen Nightmares and Ramsey in general. Raging lunatic, but very entertaining.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    You can get away with anything after 9pm. Tends to depend on the channel though, since Channels 4 and 5 are traditionally more "lenient".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More leniant, meaning they do what they like. Channel 5 even showed what was basically porn (A Girls Guide to 21st Century Sex, albeit after 2300), even if they did mask it as 'educational'. Only problem with that was, out of eight episodes, only the first two were uncensored (meaning everything was seen), because people complained. It's strange then, that despite the series being repeated constantly, the first two episodes are still censorship free (and they may be the worst offenders anyway).

Oh, the other annoying thing, is that bloody doctor yapping half the time. It's really off-putting. Still, can't complain when it comes for free on terrestrial.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Well sure, but I was talking profanities. The likes of "fuck" and "cunt" are perfectly fine after 9pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know, but it made me think about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Comedy Central run unaltered movies late at night in their secret stash... full profanity and everything. Of course they take out the nudity... or at least blur it, but I'm positive they leave in all the curse words, no matter what is said.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, watching South Park the movie late night is funny. Every word is heard plainly and clearly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally watched the Japanese flick Battle Royale... fucking incredible movie. I was just introduced to the awesomeness that is Japanese films. I thought the story was great, the acting was well done and a lot of the characters had good roles in the film. I am sure some people have seen it here. The main antagonist (the spikey haired dude) was bad-ass. The ending was good but fucked as hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can say shit on an increasingly large amount of American television now. Fuck is still pretty taboo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    I dig the original Iron Chef, but these reality/game show cooking programs just don't do it for me. I guess having worked in a kitchen, the challenges/activities just seem really contrived to me.
    I'll watch "Top Chef" because it's on an awful lot, and they have an awful lot of guest panelists that'd impress you, but I'd actually like it quite a lot more if they'd go into any detail about the chef's techniques or throw a recipe out there every now and again -- these guys come up with some pretty incredible dishes, so taking a minute or two to walk us through it wouldn't hurt.

I miss cooking professionally sometimes, and I worked under some stereotypically characteristically dickheaded ECs, so I really don't know why. Food service gets a bum rap as a career choice - people on the outside don't seem to realize that every restaraunt doesn't run like what they've seen in "Waiting" - or even close to it, really.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at Red Robin, and it's exactly like Waiting.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills View Post
    I work at Red Robin, and it's exactly like Waiting.
    I was actually going to point that out. I spent three and a half years in a educational kitchen, and four years in a commercial kitchen at a local country club. Those two kitchens were nothing like Waiting, at least in behavior towards the work that needed to be done and the people that we cooked for. Most of the kitchen staff were pretty big degenerates, though. But I worked at a Red Robin for two months towards the ass end of last year, and it really felt like a scene out of Waiting. But ROB is almost definitely talking about fine-dining establishments, where the kitchen staff is far more proud of the product they send out. Fast food places like Red Robin and Ruby Tuesday are usually filled with younger staff, who have no intention of making a career out of working in a kitchen, so it's a bit more 'devil may care' in attitude.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Most of the cooks could care less about their job, they'd rather figure out how to bang the new server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm by no means trying to imply that most of your casual dining chain restaraunts don't resemble "Waiting" - I'd have to think that the overwhelming majority of them do. I worked at a Ruby Tuesday during college (a Ruby Tuesday, it's worth noting, that my friend who took the job with me during college is still at and currently manages) and the experience, minus the blatant disregard for food quality, nearly mirrored that script (for some still inexplicable reason, most of the cooks took a pretty surprising amount of pride in their job). Otherwise, we partied pretty hard as a group, we were all pretty defensive about the group as a collective, and if the workplace is, in fact, a family, then we were a pretty incestual one with all of the workplace relationships that all of us who weren't in some way deformed were partaking in.

I had a pretty tit setup, too - I'd go in in the morning, do prep and cook lunch, take like a 3 hour break, then return and serve at night - guaranteed money for the cook shifts, which meant I actually got legitimate paychecks, plus guaranteed fat tips for the service shifts, which meant I always walked out with a good amount of cash in hand.

I actually miss that job sometimes. We had fun, and we made healthy amounts of fun money as far as the college student pay scale goes.

But yeah, what Morrison said - I was referring to fine dining establishments, where all involved parties, both FOH and BOH take an immense amount of pride in their jobs, and for good reason, as they're actually good jobs. If you're partying as a group, it had better not bleed into your work time, and if you're fucking a waitress, you're probably better off keeping that completely under wraps.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeomatic View Post
    Finally watched the Japanese flick Battle Royale... fucking incredible movie. I was just introduced to the awesomeness that is Japanese films. I thought the story was great, the acting was well done and a lot of the characters had good roles in the film. I am sure some people have seen it here. The main antagonist (the spikey haired dude) was bad-ass. The ending was good but fucked as hell.
    For the love of god, please do NOT watch Battle Royale 2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeomatic View Post
    I think I'm the only person ever that thought Battle Royale was fucking LAME. I'd been hearing about how great it was from people for years, but just never got around to watching.

A couple weeks ago I Netflixed it and I was thoroughly disappointed, which sucks because that type of movie is usually right up my alley. Oh well, at least you liked it.