Thread: ***The Official Boxing Thread***

Whaddaya think about that 1_Pablo_Angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

***The Official Boxing Thread***

... thought this might be a good idea.

I don't really know much about boxing but I've been getting into it over the last year... the Hatton fight the other night was pretty tough to watch, but I can't wait to see him get back in the ring and batter the shit out of someone now.

Junior Witter phoned up 5 live the other night and 'threw down the gauntlet' to Ricky. People who know, would this be a good fight? Worth it for Hatton? Sellable? Is Witter actually any good?

Also Hopkins Calzaghe should be sorted within a week according to Frank Warren. Realistically much chance of anything but a Calzaghe win there?

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Junior Witter is a wanker. Just fights bums and hasbeens, and the only time he ever fought anyone decent, he was rinsed by Zab Judah. Only after Hatton for a payday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other decent candidates for him to fight then?

I assume he'll definitely drop back down a weight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, the right idea for Hatton would be to drop down and try to unify the division. He'll never really be capable of fighting the naturally taller and bigger people at Welter Weight. That'd mean a fairly easy start fighting Gavin Reece or Paul Maliganni. Junior Witter would be decent money for a domestic fight. He is a credible champ after his last win and although not great, is an awkward slick fighter which is a tough style match-up for Hatton. However, Hatton I still believe, is too big, too fast, too skilled and too strong for anyone at that weight, so he should be able to unify that division easy enough.

Calzaghe vs Hopkins is a money fight. Hopkins still has enough guile and awkwardness in him to make it quite difficult. He's a rough and dirty fighter who tries to spoil styles, which is not ideal. However, Hopkins isnt great against people with great work-rates and there is nobody with a greater work-rate than Joe Calzaghe. He's too fast, too awkward and too skilled for Hopkins who is used to throwing 8-10 punches a round, compared to Calzaghe's 100. It'd probably be on points and the higher weight is somewhat of an unknown quantity, but I'd bet it'd be a fairly comfortable victory for Joe.

What annoys me is that after the fight this weekend, people have started to realise that British boxing is in a good state at the moment. However, they've decided that we've somehow dropped a belt when Hatton fought Floyd. We havent...he's still the Light Welter Weight champion.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Pablo_Angel View Post
    Any other decent candidates for him to fight then?

I assume he'll definitely drop back down a weight?
    The proposed Hatton/De la Hoya fight at Wembley is surely a no-go now. If Hatton had taken Mayweather all the way and lost a close contest (like Oscar did) then there would still be a chance of it happening, but the nature of the defeat means it'd be wise for him to move down to light-welter again.

Junior Witter and Gavin Rees both hold recognised World titles at light-welter and would both be domestic fights. Witter has been calling out Hatton for ages, because like Hlebs said is after Hatton for a massive payday. He isn't in Hatton's league. Rees is part of the Calzaghe stable and won his WBA title over the summer, but wouldn't be a challenge for Hatton I don't think, although I believe he's quite young still.

I personally would like to see Hatton face Paul Malignaggi in his back yard. It wouldn't be an easy fight as he's gone the distance with Miguel Cotto (the next best welter after Mayweather) but from what the experts are saying, Hatton would be too good for him. So fighting out in America straight away after this defeat, in front of a full house at Madison Square Garden and winning would do wonders for his battered reputation over there. Malignaggi is the IBF light-welter title holder, and Hatton has already won the IBF light-welter twice before, off Tszyu in 2005 and Urango last year.

After that, Hatton could either continue beating everyone at light-welter, have one last stab at moving up again and fight someone like Shane Mosley (big name in the US and coming off a loss to Cotto) or even try and tempt Juan Diaz up to light-welter, who holds three of the four World belts at the weight below. There's still plenty of potentially good fights around for Hatton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    What annoys me is that after the fight this weekend, people have started to realise that British boxing is in a good state at the moment. However, they've decided that we've somehow dropped a belt when Hatton fought Floyd. We havent...he's still the Light Welter Weight champion.
    Quick question Mik - I was confused when there was talk of Beckham carrying his belts down to the ring, like Rooney did before the Castillo fight, because I was under the impression that he'd relinquished them. I realise the belts mean very little and he's still considered the best at that weight, but he's not currently a title holder is he?

Another question - Why hasn't Calzaghe still got the IBF super-middleweight title he won from Lacy? Was there conflict over the choice of opponents? And to unify a division, do you need to hold all belts at the same time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kessler had to drop the IBF belt when he fought Peter Manfredo. I think that Inkin or Bute or Mundine won that belt in a unifier, which Kessler then took off him and thus Calzaghe won back when he defeated Kessler.

As for Hatton, the reason he didnt want anyone to carry his belts down to the ring was because none of them were on the line. As far as I'm aware, he didnt have to take his mandatory because they considered a fight with Mayweather to be work enough, so he should still have one or two belts. Though I may be wrong about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/boxing/s...231664,00.html

Hatton's conqueror would be no match for my man, Brendan Ingle tells Kevin Mitchell

Sunday December 23, 2007
    The Observer

I am telling you now,' Brendan Ingle tells me now, 'that Junior Witter would knock out Floyd Mayweather Junior. I have no doubt about that whatsoever.' Just as emphatically, he scotches any thoughts of Witter fighting the recently beaten Ricky Hatton: 'What do we need Hatton for? Eh? Hatton gets battered by Witter, KOed. The fight we want is Mayweather.'
    Bit of an idiot this Ingle bloke then is he?

Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev Nevermind's Avatar
    Joined MTR and Jamstar as a non-reproductive male.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so he lost against Zab Judah in 2000. That's pretty much it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ay everyone else said he wasn't fit to lace Hattons boots when I asked if he was any good earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm rather amazed to be bringing the news that a fight between Enzo Maccarinelli and David Haye has been signed for March 8th to decide the unified Cruiserweight champion of the world.

Surprised because Haye really should not be fighting at this weight any more, especially against someone as hard-hitting as Enzo. Surprised because Enzo could genuinely find himself on his arse embarrassingly early here.

Its very hard to judge what is going to happen. Two fighters with such big futures, I'd have liked to see them buid up their profiles more before going into a fight like this.

Haye has shown a propensity to getting tagged and he hasnt fought anyone who can tag him as well as Enzo will be able to. but Enzo hasnt yet developed the ring generaliship to be able to compete with the skil and guie of Haye.

Coould be an utter war.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Some big fights coming up over the next few months -

Jan 19 - Dusseldorf, Germany - Ruslan Chagaev v Matt Skelton (WBA heavyweight)

Jan 19 - Madison Square Garden, New York, USA - Roy Jones Jr. v Felix Trinidad (light-heavyweight)

Feb 2 - ExCel Arena, London - Amir Khan v Martin Kristjansen (lightweight)

Feb 16 - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, USA - Kelly Pavlik v Jermain Taylor (non-title super-middleweight)

Feb 23 - Madison Square Garden, New York, USA - Wladimir Klitschko v Sultan Ibragimov (IBF/WBO heavyweight)

Mar 1 - TBA, USA - Israel Vazquez v Rafael Marquez (WBC super-bantamweight)

Mar 8 - O2 Arena, London, UK - David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli (WBC/WBA/WBO cruiserweight)

Mar 8 - Cancun, Mexico - Juan Diaz v Nate Campbell (WBA/WBO/IBF lightweight)

Mar 15 - Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, USA - Manny Pacquiao v Juan Manuel Marquez (WBC super-featherweight)

Some potentially great fights there. Pacquiao and JM Marquez are both rated as top 5 P4P and it should be an expolsive rematch. Both are coming off victories over Marco Antonio Barrera last year. Pacquiao is incredibly exciting to watch, if you haven't seen him you ought to. There's talk of him moving up and fighting Hatton at light-welter sometime in the future, although I have my doubts.

Vazquez and R Marquez are at one each after Vazquez beat him in a great fight last summer, so this one is the decider. Again two exciting fighters, well worth watching.

If the Pavlik/Taylor rematch is anything like their first fight back in September then we're in for a treat. That match was fucking brutal, Pavlik somehow managing to survive a barrage of shots in the third to knock out Taylor in the seventh. That was the first time Taylor has been knocked out in his career.

And like Mik said, Enzo/Haye will be a real war. The best domestic fight we've had since Eubank/Benn, between two massive punchers with doubts over their chins. It may not last long. Credit to both men for making the fight, after listening to Haye after he beat Mormeck I never dreamt it would happen.

Paul Malignaggi beat someone called Herman Ngoudjo last week to retain his IBF light-welterweight title, I think Hatton will be eyeing him for a fight early summer at MSG. Calzaghe and Hopkins are nearly at an agreement if what we're lead to believe is true. Hopefully Mayweather will take on Cotto at some point too. This could be a great year for boxing.
    Last edited by UK Blue; January 10th, 2008 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Blue View Post
    Paul Malignaggi beat someone called Herman Ngoudjo last week to retain his IBF light-welterweight title, I think Hatton will be eyeing him for a fight early summer at MSG.
    Please watch the fight. Herman NGoudjo easily won that match on points (at least 7 rounds, perhaps more). Malignaggi didn't land a single good shot and spent most of the night running back. Nothing "magical" about that performance. Herman almost knocked him down in the 7th round as well (he hurt him pretty good).

The match was judged by 3 Americans born in Malignaggi's neighbourhood. The referee spent the whole match watching Herman ... while Malignaggi couldn't help himself from holding every time they were close to each other.

That being said, it definitely should be another great boxing year (will be tough to beat the last one).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that you're right. At the boxing forum I posted at I'm sick of the Yanks rabbiting on about dodgy British decisions because of the Calzaghe vs Manfredo early-stoppage, when everyone knows that America is one of the worst places of all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about dodgy British decisions, but it seems like there are a lot of them in Germany (Wilfried Sauderland's promoting group).

Should we expect anything good out of Jones Jr vs Trinidad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its unlikely.

Germany is dreadful. They should be shot for creating a record breaking champion out of Sven Ottke.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Jones beat Trinidad on points, unanimous decision. Sounds like it was a decent contest. He's meant to be entering talks with Calzaghe soon for a fight in Wales later in the year. If he's 39 already and looking to continue, it makes you think Joe could keep on going for a while yet if he fancies it.

Skelton lost to Chagaev on points too, but didn't disgrace himself. I didn't see either fight. Were they on Setanta?

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were both on Setanta. Skelton did ok and was winning the first 3 maybe 4 rounds. Taped the Jones-Trinidad, Jones won easily, was just to powerful for Trinidad.

Yes, the long-awaited fight between Bernard Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe will take place in Las Vegas on April 19. They will meet as light heavyweights at the Thomas & Mack Center. Can't see Joe losing and then hopefully he can beat Jones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont particularly care about him beating Jones. RJJ has done nothing to prove that he isnt washed up so far. I'd rather see him take on Chad Dawson, or the winner of Taylor vs Pavlick 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, I would like to see him face Pavlick. But him beating Jones would be sweet for me personally as I don't like him. Plus him beating two overrated big mouth Yanks after each other would be nice for Joe I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jones Jr looked extremely good in his fight against Trinidad. Tito still hits pretty hard and could beat some big names ... not at that weight though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm unimpressed. Jones looked fast against someone far too blown up, without much pop at that weight and long past his best days, slowed down greatly by inactivity. Calzaghe or any top SMW would be too much for him based on that showing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calzaghe will give him a decent boxing lesson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put some money on Jones Jr if he ever fought Calzaghe before the end of the year. Hopkins though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would lose your money then. Honestly I can't see no one beating Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also did put some money on the Giants yesterday ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hatton wants Mayweather rematch

Not a good idea I wouldn't have thought. How good would it be if he won though...

Also Amir Khan was quite good last week. Outclassed some Australian bloke iin a Commonwealth defence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think Hatton is still proberly hurting, I wouldn't want him to have a rematch.

Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik vs. Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor tonight, gotta love the nicknames there.

Will be sky + this fight, looking forward to it, the first one was great. I'm going with Kelly for another stoppage.

I'm loving Kelly and I like Taylor but for some reason I've just never been sold on his greatness. His first win over Bernard was very questionable, the second was legit. He fought Winky to a draw but still, I just think he'll never live up to Hopkins, Jones, or Haggler. I believe this fight will make or break it for Taylor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3248742

Nice tune-up fight, hope the rematch happens too.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
    I'm loving Kelly and I like Taylor but for some reason I've just never been sold on his greatness. His first win over Bernard was very questionable, the second was legit. He fought Winky to a draw but still, I just think he'll never live up to Hopkins, Jones, or Haggler. I believe this fight will make or break it for Taylor.
    Well after watching the fight I thought Taylor was very good and the fight was well closer then it was given. Kelly did deserve it with another solid display in what was a good night of Boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, it was clear Pavlick. Taylor didnt make his superior composure and boxing skills count.

Calzaghe would utterly destroy either of those two though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe yes but I'm still not totally convinced it was as clear as it was.

Taylor was looking good first 4 rounds, couple rounds after that were even but yes Kelly took over then.

Might watch it again later I really enjoyed the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved that fight last night, I think Taylor might have saved his career as he did well.

It was clear Pavlik won like the judges said.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One judges scorecard bollocks , I watched it again last night. 117-111 was way off it should have been like the other scores. In fact the fight still should of been closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, it was clear Pavlick. Taylor didnt make his superior composure and boxing skills count.

Calzaghe would utterly destroy either of those two though.
    He probably would, but he'd always be one Pavlik punch away from cleaning up the floor with his arse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sincerely doubt it. I'm not sure how excellently Pavlik is taking his power up in weight. He has Jermaine Taylor in NO TROUBLE whatsoever. Calzaghe is heavier, bigger and has a much more solid chin. Furthermore, he's taken bigger hits than Pavlik before and not looked anywhere near knockout so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wladimir Klitschko vs. Sultan Ibragimov tonight, Russian are dominating the heavyweight division

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it should be a really good fight. I'll probably end up watching that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to watch it, but its on bloody Sky, not Setanta. Anyone know where there's a good stream?

I cant see beyond a dominate Klit victory. I'm hoping that a bit of order will be restored to the heavyweight division by a unified champion and Wlad seems to be the best man to do that.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

This one has a whole range of sports streams. The fight isn't listed there yet, but it could appear a bit later on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still cant figure out how that place works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stayed up and watched and wished I hadn't, not the greatest Heavyweight fight ever. Mind you the "Irish" John Duddy fight was very good.

Hopefully like rumoured he will be fighting Kelly Pavlik on June 7 at Madison Square Garden. The fans will turn out in the masses for that, not that I think he will win though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Duddy just about did enough, like his trainer said he should of just forgot about impressing his New York fans and got on with.

He has no chance against Pavlik if he fights him, it's like thinking Forbes is beating De La Hoya in May

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucian Bute just ended William Joppy's career. Dominant performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to seeing either Bute vs Kessler, Bute vs Froch or Bute vs Lacy next then.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Can't believe Setanta don't have Marquez vs Vazquez tonight. So much for being the home of boxing. Anyone know what time it's meant to start? Might have to try and find a stream.

Can't wait for Haye/Mac next week, and of course JMM/Pacman the following week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    He has no chance against Pavlik if he fights him, it's like thinking Forbes is beating De La Hoya in May
    I wouldn't go that far like, Duddy is a good boxer.

I'm also looking forward to Haye/Mac UK Blue, just watched the fight countdown on Satanta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Still don't know who I want to win out of Haye/Mac. I should go for Haye, because he's English, and seems a fairly sound bloke, but then I've always enjoyed Enzo's fights.

Hmm, I think I'm starting to edge towards Enzo at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Saying that, I've just remembered when I saw Haye get his arse handed to him by Carl THE CAT Thompson, and laughed. So yeah, ENZO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was due to poor conditioning (which is now resolves I think) and the fact that his chin is shite at the Cruiserweight due to him completely draining himself to make the weight.

I want Haye to win. He has a bigger future and might actually do something at Heavyweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    He'll have to get through Audley Harrison first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Here we find him striking his usual pose.

World champion within five years, the BBC said so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was due to poor conditioning (which is now resolves I think) and the fact that his chin is shite at the Cruiserweight due to him completely draining himself to make the weight.

I want Haye to win. He has a bigger future and might actually do something at Heavyweight.
    I was 50/50 at first but now I want Enzo to win. I honestly don't think Haye will do much at Heavyweight. All what I have read and watched on Setanta, in my opinion Haye is a tad scared of Enzo.

I think Enzo has a brighter future and this his time to prove he is the best Cruiserweight around.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    If Haye was scared of Enzo he wouldn't have taken the fight in the first place. Everyone was sure he was moving up a weight after the Mormeck fight. Fair play to him for giving the fans what they wanted to see.

I would back Haye if forced to make a decision, but it really could go either way. There are serious doubts over Haye's chin, and I don't think he's ever been hit by someone with Mac's power. The longer the fight goes on the more that'll play to Mac's advantage too. Haye will be ultra aggressive the first few rounds to try and end it early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt Haye's chin very much, if he gets caught he is going down.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He ain't got no chin and I hope Enzo knocks him out. Seriously Enzo needs this more and to me wants it more.

Time for Enzo to step out of the shadow of Calzaghe. Really looking forward to Saturday now.

There was a mix up about the times of each camp for the weigh in tomorrow, so not sure what time it's on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weigh in was nothing special apart from Enzo looking the more relaxed and seemed more confident.

Any Americans watching it since it's on live your time and we have to wait until about 3am?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Haye looking ridiculously cut and buff.

Its an odd one. I really like Enzo (and admittedly I like Haye). But Haye winning could really catapult him to fame in this country and allow him to move up as a heavyweight contender. Whereas if Enzo wins, he'll likely dominate at Cruiser and if he loses...he'll like dominate at Cruiser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I like that Britain is split 50/50 on who they want to win.

I agree if Haye wins it will help his fame for moving to heavyweight but that also mean Enzo dominating the cruiser weight without actually beating the best cruiserweight in Haye. It would be a monkey on his shoulder. I would rather and hope Enzo wins and then dominating everyone in his path.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Well, I think that's what you call emphatic. Good luck to the lad, I just hope he can steamroller the Heavyweight division now, and go some way to adding a bit of prestige to it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ridiculously underestimated Haye, he was dam impressive. Lets hope he can go onto better things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its still his power that is most impressive, that'll transfer with him in weight, but will his style.

Stayed up and watched it last night, it was a shame that it didnt last very long. I'm glad Enzo was alright and philosophical about what happened. He made a couple of mistakes and got utterly clocked when he did. Doesnt mean that he's any less of a fighter than anyone thought.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I stayed up to watch it and when you do you kinda hope it goes on longer then two rounds.

Enzo was gracious in defeat hopefully he bouncers back quick.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    I stayed up for it, but I'm usually up at half 2 on a Sat night anyway so the premature ending didn't bother me.

Haye sure looked impressive. I rather agree with what Mik said earlier, Haye needed the win more than Enzo. I personally can't wait until he moves up and gets going in the heavyweight division, there's nothing there to be worried about. Maccarinelli will bounce back from this and hold a world title again at cruiserweight before too long. He's still one of the best at that weight, but Haye is looking like a really exciting talent right now. Such power. The yanks will love him.

Pacquiao vs Marquez this weekend. You can pretty much guarantee a great fight with these two in the ring. Manny to take it on points.
    Last edited by UK Blue; March 10th, 2008 at 6:14 PM.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haye is exciting but he is always going to struggle if his opponent stops him getting inside.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good point that. Is Haye a good Boxer? Yes he can knock people out but can he out box people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Blue View Post
    Pacquiao vs Marquez this weekend. You can pretty much guarantee a great fight with these two in the ring. Manny to take it on points.
    Cant wait for that one, I remember the fight 4 years ago. Will be staying up to watch that fight. I like Pacquiao lots and hopefully he wins, he is a class boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Collin View Post
    Haye is exciting but he is always going to struggle if his opponent stops him getting inside.
    Yeah good point that. Is Haye a good Boxer? Yes he can knock people out but can he out box people?
    Exactly.

Not that I don't want him to do well in the Heavyweight division, I just can't see him knocking big fuckers out with a very good defense like Wladimir Klitschko. Even Sam Peter he would struggle with.

Anyway fair play to him on Saturday as he did prove to be the best Cruiser.
    Last edited by Bluemoon; March 12th, 2008 at 7:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you Boxing fans have proberly heard, Hattton to face Lazcano at the best ground ever in the best City ever May 24th. No doubt I will be going I have seen him fight twice at the MEN.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm in Manchester around that time.....awesome

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah hopefully I can make it to, I'm sure that date clasher's with a wedding I'm at.

I think Hatton seems to be looking at this fight as a confidence builder which would explain for his choice of opponent.

For whatever reasons, Hatton has decided on bypassing fights against the likes of Witter, Torres, Malignaggi, Lamont Peterson, Rees, and Andreas Kotelnik, Boxers who I wanted to see him fight and prove he really is the best at his weight.

I can’t really understand Hatton’s reasoning for choosing Lazcano other than the fact that Hatton is in need of an easy win at this point, something to try to rebuild his self image after the the defeat he received from Mayweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you don't want a tough opponent like the ones you mentioned who might have a good chance of beating Hatton, it's is homecoming and a 2nd defeat in a row will obviously not be good.

I'm not saying Lazcano wont beat him, but if he did he would have to had put in a really bad performance, I fully expect Hatton to beat him though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time you lose in your career...make sure that you win the next one. Seems common sense to me.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Hatton tickets are being bought first thing tomorrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pacquiao vs Marquez fight was excellent. I had it as a draw personally, but cant blame either fighter for anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got done watching it, I think most people would have had that a draw. Nice for Pacman to win I like his style even though he leaves himself open. Both fighters were great and that had to be fight off the year so far, just as good as the first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way where's all the boxing fans on here? I know some post on here I just would have thought there would have been more.

Tremendous sport Boxing is and last nights fight proved it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MANNY MANNY MANNY

Happy he won, It was a close fight that had me at the edge of my seat and hopefully they give us one more match. I believe Pac will beat Marquez again in a third match, Marquez probably fought the best fight of his career and it just fell short. I don't believe he can reach that high again. Age has to catch up to him and even a very slight decline in skills against Pac could prove fatal. But then again Pac was rocked, stunned and wobbled a few times last night. Give us a third one please.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    I read that Manny was consdiering moving up in weight and looking at possible fights with Juan Diaz and our own Ricky if he beat Marquez. Diaz losing the other week to Nate Campbell has probably put that fight on hold I'd imagine.

Didn't manage to see the fight yesterday, but I'll certainly be looking for it over the next few days. These guys are always great entertainment.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I read he wanted to move up too.

It's certainly worth the find mate. Actually I might download the Campbell/Diaz see how much of a shock it was.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched that fight this morning. awesome stuff. The momentum seemed to shift every few rounds. I'm loving my Setanta at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Santanta is awesome at the minute.

Though Sky announced there showing The Miguel Cotto vs. Alfonso Gomez fight, it's on the same date as Tarver/Woods and off course that's a week before Super Joe Calzaghe. Can't wait for all those fights.

Speaking off Tarver vs Woods couple of people in work where on about there press conference they did last month, funny stuff. I think everyone hates Tarver and I hope Woods shuts him up.

*Bangs Table*

Woah...Woah...Woah

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Great news about Cotto being shown on Sky, he's one of my five favourite fighters. Loved his bouts with Mosley and Quintana. I'm hoping to see a showdown with Mayweather later in the year, he's the only bloke about who's got a chance of unsettling him I think, although I still think he'd come up a little short.

Khan sets heart on Rees showdown

Interesting article here from the BBC. Khan and Rees are having a bit of a war of words. Rees' comments include - "Khan reckons he's Mr Big, but put him in the ring with me and I'll give him a right good pasting. I really believe I'll smash him to pieces" - this coming from a guy who can hardly put a hole in a paper bag, and has a knockout % of less than 50, despite never fighting anyone decent. I don't know about Rees' next opponent Kotelnik, except he drew with M'baye last year. I don't see Rees holding onto the title for much longer to be honest, although I'd love for Khan to move up to LWW where the better fights are. This was another strange comment from the Calzaghe camp following on from Enzo C's regarding Haye earlier in the week. There's so much bollocks talked in boxing.

I see Manny has agreed to move up to lightweight and fight David Diaz in June. He doesn't take long going from one fight to another! Great news, and a big step towards a possible Pacquiao/Hatton fight in the future. That'd be my dream fight at the moment, two guys who never take a backwards step. Perhaps they could meet at a catchweight, about 138lbs? It'd be a big money fight, and Hatton would enjoy being the naturally bigger fighter after moving up himself in the past. Lets hope it happens.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah since the start of the year I have looked up about Cotto and I love him already, I have now watched his fights against Ricardo Torres, Paul Malignaggi, Carlos Quintana, Zab Judah and Shane Mosley.

Pacquiao/Hatton would be interesting now you mentioned it UK Blue, I was thinking Pacquiao/Juan Diaz.

Oscar De La Hoya is still one of my best Boxers off all time, I recently bought his career box sets with all his fights and most of his amateur fights. I can't believe he lost to Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley II. I'm currently up to his fight with Bernard Hopkins, Why did he move up to that weight he looked well uncomfortable against Felix Sturm.

Gavin Rees on now.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen Rees fight before but I'm impressed, he's little fucking tank.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this guy, he is getting battered but he just keeps coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until the end...sadly.

Why did he move up to that weight he looked well uncomfortable against Felix Sturm.
    Lots of controversy. A lot of people claimed that he took a dive in order to get Hopkins as part of Golden Boy Promotions.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah right.

Well I watched the Hopkins fight nothing special on both parts. Also watched the fight against Ricardo Mayorga and read up all about the rivarly. Nice to see Oscar showing his class at the end of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
    Speaking off Tarver vs Woods couple of people in work where on about there press conference they did last month, funny stuff. I think everyone hates Tarver and I hope Woods shuts him up.

*Bangs Table*

Woah...Woah...Woah
    Hahahaha I seen that the other day, Tarver looses it.

I watched that fight this morning. awesome stuff. The momentum seemed to shift every few rounds. I'm loving my Setanta at the moment.
    Watched it, great fight. Nasty cut on Diaz, clearly accidental headbutt though.

I love this guy, he is getting battered but he just keeps coming.
    Yeah shame he lost, he did give it is all, the other bloke was quite decent.
    Last edited by Chris Scott; March 24th, 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched it, great fight. Nasty cut on Diaz, clearly accidental headbutt though.
    The cut was caused by a punch (although there definitely were a few headbutts in the fight).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oscar De La Hoya is still one of my best Boxers off all time, I recently bought his career box sets with all his fights and most of his amateur fights. I can't believe he lost to Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley II. I'm currently up to his fight with Bernard Hopkins, Why did he move up to that weight he looked well uncomfortable against Felix Sturm.
    Where did you get his career box set from?

A friend borrowed me the Gatti/Ward trilogy, it's possibly one of the best boxing I have ever seen, the 9 round of the 3rd fight was simply breathtaking.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gatti/Wardfights are superb, the 3rd fight was the truest example of courage and spirit I had the pleasure of seeing, God bless both of them. Also that is real boxing, none of that hit and run jab shit we see nowadays. I would have paid anything to watch that fight.

The site I use for box sets is http://boxvid.co.uk/

DVD's are sent in plastic sleeves with no artwork just to let you know, there good copies too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one.

I ordered Cotto's fights before.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Thaxton got thoroughly outclassed by Romanov tonight. Cut ended it after the 5th but the result was inevitable.

What channel is Khan on tomorrow? Looking forward to seeing him, missed the fight against St Clair. There's talk of him fighting Joel Casamayor next which I think would be a bad move. Was well impressed with Casamayor against Katsidis. He's 36 but he can still go. Brilliant fight that was actually.

Funny quote from Hopkins, after Calzaghe called him Mary Poppins -

"He called me Old Poppy Hopkins, or Mary Hopkins, but she was a very, very powerful lady.

"He can't have been caling me a female, because he called me Poppy, and if you know the history of Mary Poppins... She was a powerful lady who had magical powers with that umbrella.

"Mary Poppins was one of my favourite bedtime stories when I was small, and if anyone knows the history of Mary Poppins it's nothing to laugh at.

"Come 19 April, I'm going to be glad I was called Mary Poppins."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopkins is a bit mad.

Kahn is on ITV1, the undercard is on ITV4.

I missed the Thaxton fight and forgot to plus it and I'm currently downloading Joel Casamayor's last fight, I heard it was excellent.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Yeah you should definitely give it a watch, fantastic fight. Katsidis got found out a bit I feel.

Well chuffed Khan's on ITV, meant to be playing poker at a mates house who only has freeview. Never seen Kristjansen but his record is decent. He's never been stopped but apparently can't punch for toffee. A good fight for Khan to show off his skills.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I watched that Katsidis fight, they say he is the new Gatti. Cracking fight it was.

Thaxton like UK Blue said got outclassed, shame. Kahn fight should be good hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent record and defense, but cant punch for toffee is pretty standard of Khan's opponents. At the moment, he's still young in his career, but if he's wanting to move up to challenge he needs to start fighting someone with a bit of power otherwise he's going to be in for a shock when he gets into the title fights.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good point that Mik as Kahn won easy enough.

Anyone watch Derry Matthews on the undercard? I have followed his career with him being a fellow local lad. His fight was so one sided it was unbelievable. Derry looked very nervous as he came out and as if he didn't believe he could pull this off, easily outclassed.

I'm disappointed for him, not sure where he goes from here either. I know its one loss but I don't think he has the power to successfully move up in weight and if he hasn't got it in him to be taking big shots from the powerful guys in the division he's going to struggle at Feather. He's a good fighter so hopefully h bounces back very fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know, it could be the making off him. He couldnt stop himself getting clocked. Got absolutely leathered, had no plan B. If he wants to have a future in the boxing world, he needs to learn from that. A lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good night of Boxing on Saturday night lads.

Looking forward to watching Cotto very very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if Clinton Woods win, I'd imagine that he'd be Calzaghe's next fight.