Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,600 of 5233

Thread: ***Official*** Scottish Football Discussion Thread

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But them going into Administration is a way to avoid the Club disappearing. They'll write-down the bulk of the £49m they owe HMRC, probably get a load more debts writen off and be stronger for it.

It's embarrassing and should serve as a reminder to all Clubs in England and Scotland that they need to better manage their finances but I don't see that it's going to lead to Rangers going out of business. They'll probably be better next season if they go into Administration this because their cashflow should last longer.

Andy
    I don't know enough about the business side of the way administration actually works, but from everything I've read it seems this is just the beginning. It's not like what happened to Motherwell or any of the carry on with Hearts. It was an exaggeration to say this is the end, but it could well be the beginning of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish football wont die. Even if it winds up Maltese league level with 10 clubs left, it'll still exist.

And Rangers wont go bust. Someone will come in for them before long.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a decent explanation for the Rangers crisis in the Irish Times over the weekend:

THE GOOD news for Rangers owner Craig Whyte this week was that he and former wife Kim managed to resolve a dispute over maintenance payments without the need to take their allotted time in a Scottish court. How the 40-year-old multi-millionaire must wish that striking a deal with the taxman was quite so straightforward.

Whyte said this week that the club he bought nine months ago for a pound are entering the “toughest few weeks” in their 140-year history.

Essentially, Rangers are awaiting the outcome of a tribunal that will decide whether or not they really owe the roughly €60 million in taxes, interest and penalties that most observers believe they do.

Whyte claimed when he took on the club and its debts from David Murray last year that he believed there would be no liability but that’s looking a little far-fetched now with most people believing the very best Rangers can hope for is a bill for about €30 million which would not, it seems, be enough to avoid what has been called, somewhat euphemistically, “a solvency event”.

The worst case scenario, and an unlikely one, is that Rangers would actually go out of existence but what seems far more likely is that the club will go into administration, strike a deal to write off a proportion of the debt and then exit it in a more sustainable state.

Things are complicated, though, by the fact that Whyte has securitised a significant proportion of the club’s season ticket revenue for the next four years to raise about €25 million. This, along with the €6.5 million or so received from Everton for the Croatian striker Nikica Jelavic, must, according to Whyte, be ploughed into the club to pay some of the many and varied creditors.

The Scottish champions’ problems have their origins, in more ways than one, back at the start of the last decade. In 2001 alone, Whyte says, the club went from having €25 million in the bank to owing that much, in part because of the massive campaign of spending that had been undertaken by then manager Dick Advocaat. His 30 or so signings in four years cost the Glasgow outfit a net figure of about €60 million without ever delivering the European success that was supposed to follow dominance at home.

Murray, meanwhile, embarked on all ill-fated scheme aimed at minimising the tax that the many expensive foreign stars (Ronald de Boer, Giovanni van Brockhurst and Andrei Kanchelskis among them) would have to pay by channelling money for their “image rights” to them via an “Employee Benefits Trust” which, it turns out, was not best suited to being operated by a football club.

At the height of the scheme more than €10 million was paid into the off-shore accounts out of which the fund operated in just one year.

The amount of tax owed on the payments made from those accounts to players and other officials is what will be confirmed over the coming weeks.

This, of course, was all just part of Murray’s promise to spend £10 for every five spent by cross-city rivals Celtic.

The club’s problems now are compounded by the fact that they are, even after years of cutting back, currently spending roughly €10 for every eight they generate in revenue with the result that there is likely to be a €12 million loss reported in the accounts for last year when they are eventually filed.

All of which will be amusing the Celtic fans who had to endure the various Rangers successes that were funded by this reckless spending spree.

That, of course, is the way it goes in Scotland and, indeed, in most cities or leagues where such irrational rivalries exist.

Still, you’d expect Celtic boss Neil Lennon to have more sense than to say, as he did this week, that neither Celtic nor the SPL need a strong Rangers.

This, after-all, is a league that only three months ago signed a TV deal worth just €19.2 million per season for the next five years, with even that achieved only because almost one in seven of the games to be broadcast live will be between the Old Firm clubs.

The importance of those games, and the wider rivalry between the two clubs, is one reason why Whyte, Rangers officials and the fans will be confident of emerging from whatever financial storm might be about to descend on them.

In a rather roundabout way they have soon-to-be England boss Harry Redknapp to thank for another.

Back in 2008 the now Spurs boss notched up his one and only trophy success, the FA Cup, with Portsmouth but the club never recovered from the spending involved in assembling the team and subsequently went into administration.

When they tried to come out, having agreed to pay 20 pence in the pound on much of its debt, the Inland Revenue went to the High Court to challenge the “football creditors rule” under which the likes of players and other clubs must be paid in full in order for a financially stricken club to return to competition.

The Revenue lost, however, and so Whyte knows that it will almost certainly be possible to write off most of Rangers’ tax bill, however much it ends up coming to, before getting back to business.

Still, even the proportion the Scots are obliged to pay should prove a serious constraint in terms of their ability to challenge Celtic for the next few years – Portsmouth actually seem set to go bust again over the coming weeks in spite of their previous deal.

And with Hearts receiving their by now annual threat of a winding up order from the Revenue a couple of weeks back, the Bhoys might finally have to concede that, after years of seeing bigotry in the work of officials that crossed them, the taxman might just be a taig.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    That'll be the end of Scottish football then.

Moronic Celtic fans celebrating.

are you a spastic? Rangers will always be around. As for Celtic fans celebrating, I seem to recall the same reaction from the shit end of the city when it looked like we were going to the wall.

Personally, I think Celtic should put something towards bailing them out though - it's the ultimate comeback in any argument with a Hun for the rest of time

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    We may be poor but I would rather go out of buisness than take the benefits of the men in hoops.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Oh aye and Celtic fans are ugly. We may be poor but we aren't ugly.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    apart from your knuckles what with all the dragging along the ground. Besides, it's fairly well established that Tims are far better looking than the troglodytes who frequent Castle Greyskull

Andy

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    We may be poor but I would rather go out of buisness than take the benefits of the men in hoops.

really?? Pathetic. Good job you won't go full blown out of business anyway though - albeit I honestly think it'd open the door for Celtic to move to the Championship or League 1

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind it in lads, Andy's getting bored of the harmless banter you're having with each other.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    shit sorry Andy - shall we talk a bit more about Burntisland United?

Andy
    What about Blue Brazil?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    What about England?

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Rangers disappear, what possible motivation will any player/manager/someone with money have to come into Scottish football? The standard is shocking enough as it is and that's after a steady decline over the past decade.

The standard will continue to slide, Scotland will lose European places, will get even less TV money, won't be able to attract anyone etc. Also clubs in Scotland make a huge amount of money out of the Old Firm. Ticket sales and tv games etc. taking half of that away will weaken the entire league. It will be an absolute disaster if they go properly out of business.
    You might just be in for a sneak preview. There is a group of Rangers fans trying to organise the complete abandonment of away games. The other SPL clubs simply could not maintain their current level without one half of the Old Firm. One of their chairman (I think it was Motherwell?) said pretty much that on the radio today. I've seen a lot of gloating from fans of other teams recently and especially today. It's in very poor taste.

The old consortium fronted by Graeme Souness rumour is out and about again but I've been hearing that for years and years.

Someone said to me the other week that he heard something along the lines of Craig Whyte being nothing more than the fall guy, that David Murray was still pulling the strings. Turns out today that apparantly Alastair Johnston has been on radio stating that Murray in fact has a buy back clause on Rangers.

I really don't know what to make it of all. Can't really imagine Rangers not being the top club in Scotland.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Murray is a crook and Whyte is a crook and they're both a pair of utter fucking crooks. Murray is one of the most overrated scumbags in the history of football. People have been saying it for years, but it wasn't much of an issue for you when Gazza was playing his imaginary flute up and down the touchline. I can't believe Rangers fans still can't see and accept what an complete shitting mess Murray made of the club, totally driving it into the ground.

As for the 'poor taste' of folk having a laugh at Rangers' expense - fuck off and take one on the chin and man the fuck up - you've bigger concerns at the moment.

Obviously Rangers won't go under. If anything this might be the kick up the cunt the club needs to sort its shit out and maybe even to a true Rangers supporter with a few hundred mil in the bank (which Murray and Whyte both have, don't kid yourself) to come and help save their team.

I don't want them to go under, but it's a moot point really, it's not going to happen.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
    Can't really imagine Rangers not being the top club in Scotland.

- not had your telly on for the last few months?

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    Murray is a crook and Whyte is a crook and they're both a pair of utter fucking crooks. Murray is one of the most overrated scumbags in the history of football. People have been saying it for years, but it wasn't much of an issue for you when Gazza was playing his imaginary flute up and down the touchline. I can't believe Rangers fans still can't see and accept what an complete shitting mess Murray made of the club, totally driving it into the ground.

Did you miss the anti-Murray protests at every single match at Ibrox a few years ago? Did you miss the 'We Deserve Better' campaign?

I have no idea what Rangers fans you've been talking to but every single Rangers message board, supporters trust and organisation was anti-Murray for a long time prior to him leaving the club.

As for the 'poor taste' of folk having a laugh at Rangers' expense - fuck off and take one on the chin and man the fuck up - you've bigger concerns at the moment.
    It is in poor taste. I accept it, expected it and completely take it as banter for the most part.

Obviously Rangers won't go under. If anything this might be the kick up the cunt the club needs to sort its shit out and maybe even to a true Rangers supporter with a few hundred mil in the bank (which Murray and Whyte both have, don't kid yourself) to come and help save their team.
    Nobody is kidding themselves mate. It's clear the state the club is in and that neither of the two mentioned has the finances to steer us away from it. Any moron can see that.

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - not had your telly on for the last few months?
    I mean the grander scheme of things.

Like the last three league wins in a row if you want to keep it recent. More silverware, more succes in general.

You cling on to the last few months though

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have the next 3 years, thank you very much.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    to me the most disapointing thing is that the history of rangers will most likely be wiped and a new club formed.

However as much as I think that whyte is not the man for Rangers he is shrewd as fuck and know what he is doing. (FINGERS CROSSED)

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Nobody is kidding themselves mate. It's clear the state the club is in and that neither of the two mentioned has the finances to steer us away from it. Any moron can see that.

if people don't think/know that Murray and Wyte individually have the personal finances to clear the debt/tax lien, then they're the moron(s)

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    I mean the grander scheme of things.

Like the last three league wins in a row if you want to keep it recent. More silverware, more succes in general.

You cling on to the last few months though
    I'll cling to the better footballing team over the last decade+, better fans, better stadium, better run club, better reputation in Europe, largely, and generally better prospects thankyoooooou

However as much as I think that whyte is not the man for Rangers he is shrewd as fuck and know what he is doing. (FINGERS CROSSED)
    spat my potato out reading that

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Stop it fud. I'll grab that tattie and smash it in your pus. We are the poor people! I'll stick by my statement, fucking crook whyte will mastermind us out of this. Unless the Souness dream comes true.
    TAPS AFF!

You ain't a beauty... Magnus Barelegs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rangers are fucked.

To be able to enter a CVA (Creditors Voluntary Agreement) they need to have 75% of their creditors to agree to the CVA...Dundee managed to scraped 75.something% to push their CVA through at 6 pence in the pound. So for Rangers to be able to push a CVA through, assuming the HMRC bill is £49million (ignoring the other tax case, the £9million that they haven't paid in VAT and PAYE since Whyte took over, and any fines/interest on the £49 million), then Rangers debt would need to be £200 million plus. And HMRC are unlikely to accept any CVA...they want their money in full.

I can't see any sensible businessman putting money into Rangers now. There is fuck all money in Scottish Football anyway, but one way of making money would be to create a club from the ashes and get money from leasing Ibrox and Murray Park back to them.

So liquidation > Rangers 1873 go > Rangers 2012 appear > then either start in Division 3, buy another club and take their place in the league, or appeal to the SPL to take Rangers 1873's place in the SPL...if the latter happens, and the SPL chairmen vote in favour of it, then I'm fucking done with Scottish Football.

Andy
    Surely you can see the sense in letting them straight back into the SPL.

AWOL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TV deal for next season has a clause that both Rangers and Celtic have to be in the SPL according to report on BBC.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Rangers are skint, have no strikers, yes?

Why aren't they in for Craig Beattie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp@des View Post
    Rip is a god. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    I fucking love Rip lol

I fucking love you seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF
    You are an evil genius.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I can't wait to hold Rip's hand while Glen sings and turn to him slowly, smiling, mouthing the words to True Love Ways

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Rip is amazing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Rangers will be ok apparently there was a £24m bet placed on Kilmarnock to win yesterday.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    Rangers are skint, have no strikers, yes?

Why aren't they in for Craig Beattie?
    Administration = transfer embargo

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I thought they were allowed to sign out of contract players?

And wasn't he released last month?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp@des View Post
    Rip is a god. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    I fucking love Rip lol

I fucking love you seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF
    You are an evil genius.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I can't wait to hold Rip's hand while Glen sings and turn to him slowly, smiling, mouthing the words to True Love Ways

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Rip is amazing.

Andy
    Nah, they're not even allowed to register Daniel Cousin, who they had agreed to sign just before they went into admin

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Ah, I thought Portsmouth did it with someone last time but being honest I wasn't sure, they really are screwed then if yesterday is anything to go by.

I can't understand why no-one else is even showing an interest though.

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll cling to the better footballing team over the last decade+, better fans, better stadium, better run club, better reputation in Europe, largely, and generally better prospects thankyoooooou

spat my potato out reading that
    Playing better football means nothing in terms of what we are talking about. You haven't won the league in three seasons mate.

Better fans? Again, I'd question that - figures were released about a fortnight ago that showed Rangers as having the best travelling support in the country. Both halves of the Old Firm have been guilty of relatively poor attendances at home.

Better stadium? Ibrox is a 5-star rated UEFA stadium. Celtic Park is not. Explain to me how you have a better stadium.

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if people don't think/know that Murray and Wyte individually have the personal finances to clear the debt/tax lien, then they're the moron(s)
    That's all good and well but you said Rangers fans can't see Murray is to blame in your earlier post. Which is utter drivel. Anyone with half a brain can see that. It's a matter of fact. I have no idea why you suggested Rangers fans can't see that.

I don't pretend to know exactly how administration works but Craig Whyte has been down this road before. Administration, by all accounts, seems to be tbe best option and, I seem to be in the minority, but I have faith in Craig Whyte.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely you can see the sense in letting them straight back into the SPL.
    No sense in it. What Rangers did was financial cheating. They were spending way beyond their means and they helped to kill Scottish football. At this point, not even the Old Firm can save the wreckage of the game in Scotland. I can remember posting on here a number of years ago regarding Rangers effectively cheating to maintain their dominance and see off challengers. They have to suffer the consequences for it. If they were relegated fair and square, as Leeds were, would you still argue they should be kept in the SPL?

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whilst it may not be fair, keeping Rangers in the SPL is the only viable option. The SPL and the other clubs are dependant on Rangers and Celtic.

I don't think you can call it cheating either. We spent beyond our means which is easy to see and say now in hindsight. Surely at the time, when the money was being spent, it was thought to be manageable. For it to be classed as cheating it would have had to be known at the time that we were living way outwith our means which I don't believe it was. We are now being punished for it and as you say are dealing with the consequences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it's not only in hindsight, I was saying it at the time. Plenty of other people were saying it at the time. It was cheating because Rangers were spending money they didn't have. I can remember in 1997 Rangers offering Ronaldo a deal worth £7 million a season, contracted to play only the Old Firm and Champions League games, when he left Barcelona for Inter Milan. That's fucking insane. Rangers were spending way, way beyond the means of Scottish football to bring in players like Gascoigne, Laudrup and Flo and they could only absorb that for so long. £12 fucking million for Tor Andre Flo?

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celtic have been absolutely rampant today. It's the kind of performance I'd have liked to have seen from Rangers yesterday.

The fans played their part - the game was a complete sell out, there was hundreds of banners, the place was rocking for 90 minutes. Our strikeforce is horrifically weak and will struggle to be strong enough for us to kill off any match. In contrast to watching Hooper and Stokes today it's terrifying.

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    No it's not only in hindsight, I was saying it at the time. Plenty of other people were saying it at the time. It was cheating because Rangers were spending money they didn't have. I can remember in 1997 Rangers offering Ronaldo a deal worth £7 million a season, contracted to play only the Old Firm and Champions League games, when he left Barcelona for Inter Milan. That's fucking insane. Rangers were spending way, way beyond the means of Scottish football to bring in players like Gascoigne, Laudrup and Flo and they could only absorb that for so long. £12 fucking million for Tor Andre Flo?
    I don't recall it ever being known at the time that we couldn't afford what we were doing. I do remember the Ronaldo story, and something similar regarding Shevchenko. The contractual side of that is of course beyond insanse.

As I said, I don't have any recollection of it being known that we didn't have the money we were spending. David Murray was giving it large at Ibrox - 'for every five pounds Celtic spends, we will spend ten.' It's clear now that in doing so he has run Rangers in to the ground but I didn't know of people at the time suggesting Rangers were living way outwith their means.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    No sense in it. What Rangers did was financial cheating. They were spending way beyond their means and they helped to kill Scottish football. At this point, not even the Old Firm can save the wreckage of the game in Scotland. I can remember posting on here a number of years ago regarding Rangers effectively cheating to maintain their dominance and see off challengers. They have to suffer the consequences for it. If they were relegated fair and square, as Leeds were, would you still argue they should be kept in the SPL?
    Of course it's not fair. The Leeds situation is completely different because the league was so strong that it was entirely inconsequential what happened to Leeds.

Everyone can point fingers and say what Rangers did was wrong, but the bottom line is Rangers are in deep trouble which means Scottish football is in deep trouble. The SPL clubs make most of their money through the Old Firm and if Rangers get relegated you'd have a one team league with less money which nobody would want to move to.

As I said before, there's huge implications for the TV rights and the income of all SPL clubs. I also don't believe for a minute this line that Celtic are spinning about being successful without Rangers. They may be able to live within their means but you take away Rangers and all the TV money and everything else they bring, then Celtic's income is going to be slashed. Celtic, and Scottish football, cannot be prosperous without Rangers.

And for the record, I hate Rangers and Celtic. I follow Dunfermline. It just annoys me that some Celtic fans are celebrating like this is the best thing that could've happened. If Rangers lose their case against HMRC it's an absolute disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish football is in deep trouble anyway, it's virtually dead. Rangers helped put Scottish football there with their reckless spending because they distorted the competition. They lived well beyond their means and took themselves beyond the reach of the clubs beneath them while doing so.

Scottish football was always going to be left behind in the CL era because of the disparity in income and the distinct lack of youth development. Scotland barely produces any decent players nowadays, whereas it used to produce more than its fair share of talented footballers. Rangers didn't even succeed in keeping up appearances in the CL, beyond the first couple of seasons, and all they have managed to do is kill any sense of competition in the domestic league.
    Last edited by El Capitano Gatisto; February 19th, 2012 at 4:03 PM.

AWOL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I thought Portsmouth did it with someone last time but being honest I wasn't sure, they really are screwed then if yesterday is anything to go by.

I can't understand why no-one else is even showing an interest though.
    Hearts are...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...attie-signing/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it's not fair. The Leeds situation is completely different because the league was so strong that it was entirely inconsequential what happened to Leeds.

Everyone can point fingers and say what Rangers did was wrong, but the bottom line is Rangers are in deep trouble which means Scottish football is in deep trouble. The SPL clubs make most of their money through the Old Firm and if Rangers get relegated you'd have a one team league with less money which nobody would want to move to.

As I said before, there's huge implications for the TV rights and the income of all SPL clubs. I also don't believe for a minute this line that Celtic are spinning about being successful without Rangers. They may be able to live within their means but you take away Rangers and all the TV money and everything else they bring, then Celtic's income is going to be slashed. Celtic, and Scottish football, cannot be prosperous without Rangers.

And for the record, I hate Rangers and Celtic. I follow Dunfermline. It just annoys me that some Celtic fans are celebrating like this is the best thing that could've happened. If Rangers lose their case against HMRC it's an absolute disaster.
    But the status quo is truly painful. To be bluntly honest, Celtic and Rangers in the grand scheme of things play bland football, are Europa League fodder and bring willful sectarianism wherever they go.

If football in Scotland is in such a bad state, then maybe it needs to collapse for a more open, competitive league to take its place. Currently it's stagnant, as Rangers and Celtic aren't big enough to succeed in Europe, and are too pre-occupied with each other to make sensible long-term investments.

Craig Whyte knows he's playing the 'too big to fail' card, and HMRC is just waiting to pull the plug on someone big.

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz View Post
    But the status quo is truly painful. To be bluntly honest, Celtic and Rangers in the grand scheme of things play bland football, are Europa League fodder and bring willful sectarianism wherever they go.

If football in Scotland is in such a bad state, then maybe it needs to collapse for a more open, competitive league to take its place. Currently it's stagnant, as Rangers and Celtic aren't big enough to succeed in Europe, and are too pre-occupied with each other to make sensible long-term investments.

Craig Whyte knows he's playing the 'too big to fail' card, and HMRC is just waiting to pull the plug on someone big.
    Absolute tosh. Most of it is irrelevant, too.

Rangers and Celtic being poor footballing sides means nothing in this context.

A collapse is no good as the league simply will not be stronger at the other side of it. The other clubs simply will not be able to operate without the Old Firm. Sure, the league would be more competitive without the Old Firm, but more competitive at a piss poor level. What you're talking about would require both Rangers AND Celtic to be in the position Rangers are currently in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The damage has already been done to the league, yes. If the rest of the SPL decides to lay down and take it from Rangers, then Rangers should at the very least be banned from European football for 5-10 years and the places moved down the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish football is a joke. Until such point as something changes, it will continue to be a joke.

Sometimes you need to take a step back before you can take great strides forward. Maintaining the status quo of Celtic, Rangers, then everyone else in some sort of irrelevant purgatory isn't a viable long-term option.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Why a refreshing victory that was today. Away to Inverness is a difficult game and to come away so convincing after a few dire showings is a wee boost. Davis, Kerkar and Little were all fantastic as we big lee. After all the shite it's hard not to have a wee smile when you heat the ironic chants of we're going to win the league.

First time I've enjoyed watching rangers since the first old firm.
    TAPS AFF!

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the Rangers fans opinions of McCoist? I think the whole administration saga is overshadowing his shortcomings as a manager. After falling in and out of love with Lennon I now don't know what to think as the league is so fucking bad at the moment and we're not exactly pumping teams every week.

Also, can't believe you bastards finally got Paul McBride.

Simon
    Rangers have released a couple of players already, Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik, is there anyone in the squad that Premier League sides might look at? We've been linked with Allan McGregor who is obviously class, anyone else?

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Steven Davies and Steven naismith maybe

Andy
    Steve Davis could probably do a job in the PL.

Players like Whittaker and Lafferty would probably be decent Championship players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lafferty could be a Premier League player if he sorted his attitude out.

AWOL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These players that are getting released are only be able to immediately sign for a club who's transfer window is still open.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    or sign a pre-contract anywhere they like and train with that team

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkoke View Post
    These players that are getting released are only be able to immediately sign for a club who's transfer window is still open.
    From what I've read they'll be able to apply to FIFA for dispensation to sign for clubs outside the transfer window.

Andy
    Yeah haven't a load of the Portsmouth players already moved?

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    interesting - there must be a number of clubs in administration around the world who could be pillaged outside the transfer window according to this type of dispensation

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emergency loan window open in England

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No players from Portsmouth are being made redundant are they? Players in England can't be made redundant because of an agreement between the League, the FA and the PFA.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have Gregg wylde in a heartbeat

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I'd imagine the vultures will be circling, the agents phones of any half decent Rangers player will be pretty busy right now I'd guess.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the fuck have we paid 6.5M for Jelavic? We could have got him for like 20p now.

Fuck off Everton.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    I'd imagine the vultures will be circling, the agents phones of any half decent Rangers player will be pretty busy right now I'd guess.

one iPhone ringing off the hook isn't going to crash the O2 network though, thankfully

AWOL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Why the fuck have we paid 6.5M for Jelavic? We could have got him for like 20p now.

Fuck off Everton.
    Heard you didn't pay much if any of that - it was mostly made up of money they were still due Everton for Michael Ball.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have heard the Michael Ball stuff too. Strange one either way.

We have been linked heavily with Gregg Wylde today. Is he any good?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Greg Wylde is full of pace and control but has no final ball or finishing in him. I don't see him as anything other than a squad player in the EPL, probably would be more suited to the championship. Let's put it this way, this is the worst rangers team I've ever seen and he couldn't get a start for us, the epitome of average. I'm quite surprised so many EPL teams have been linked with him.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I've been chuckling all day. Never a penalty in my eyes, however that may be bias.
    TAPS AFF!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ach it was an absolute stone-waller, but we weren't up to much for 93 minutes and Cammie Bell was fantastic.

Fair enough, things get put into perspective when one of the players dad's died during the celebrations. Makes it a bit less of a blow knowing that and (as shite and 'arsehole on fb' as it sounds) his last moments were ones of happiness.

Double will have to do.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was a stonewaller at the time but I dunno anymore. I just can't see any definite contact in the replays.

Andy, Lennon is a wanker but he's not clueless.

Andy
    Classless.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    better than being CLUBless lololol

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno why I read that as clueless. Maybe I'm oblivious to his lack of class.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Was at the rangers legends game tonight, brilliant atmosphere and great to see all the old players again. brian laudrup and Gio could pull on shirts tomorrow and put in a shift, laudrup still looked fit as a fiddle.

Get well soon to Stan Petrov.
    TAPS AFF!

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get on the number 9 bus afterwards?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Nah how? Subway back to town.
    TAPS AFF!

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on a packed number 9 full of you bastards. I got out at Cessnock and walked. Got to my bit before the bus.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    you ok wardy? Had a shower?

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen so many mentally ill football fans in my life so I needed 2 showers. One for the saliva and another for my spunk.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Some colour blind painter has painted the shithole louden green! Hahaha, that's brilliant.
    TAPS AFF!

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard that yesterday and thought it was a joke. Is it the one near Parkhead?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Aye thats the one. Fucking brilliant I'm going to have a look on my break from work.
    TAPS AFF!

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    So it would appear Lennon is going to get a mega ban according to the papers, they are reporting anywhere between 10-17 games. I have a funny feeling he may walk at the end of the season.

Also looks like Singapore is the prefered bid for rangers! I'm quite delighted that it's not going to the blue knights.
    TAPS AFF!

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    if he's going to keep going to fucking mental at controversial decisions as well as play fucking Lustig out right then it might be best

is this Bill Ng minted then?

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done to the lads today but for me it just shows us up for the bottlers we are. Why couldn't we have put in a performance like that in the 2 cup games we lost? I enjoyed the game today just like everyone else but I'd have taken the treble over a practically meaningless old firm any day of the week.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Got to say we were completely outclassed today. I have a very bad feeling About the goings on at ibrox ATM. I don't really have much else to say about Scottish football but I have a feeling that today is the start of a massive decline in Scotland, which is saying something cause things are very dire.

All the chairmen and the sfa need to pull their fingers out and make decision quickly about what they are going to do regarding rangers. Not only to resolve the situation but to know where they will stand.
    TAPS AFF!

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    some of the sanctions already imposed and further being discussed are pretty fucking despicable if you ask me - punishing the club and the fans for the actions of a board ful of cunts, the no-legged Lord of Darkness and Craig 'The New Gerbil' Whyte. It's seriously sickening.

What a humping you took today though, that was glorious.

Rangers can't be booted out of the SPL. It's unthinkable.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    If they boot rangers I believe that the tv deal is fucked with sky, interest in our game will dip further and eventually end up the same as Ireland. So fucking sad. It does feel like an unnessasary punishment for the club and as usual sfa making hard work for themselves.

Wardy is right about the bottling problem though, how the fuck yous haven't done at least a double is shocking, Infact I can see how some fans are still regarding this season as a disappointment for Celtic.
    TAPS AFF!

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    the cups were massively disappointing, but I'm honestly quite happy with the squad and the potential for growth if it can be kept together at its core. If we get humped out of the CL straight away I might be singing a different tune, but there are a lot of quality players at Celtic right now and the defense is as un-calamatous as it's been in years. I'll take the league title and watch both Cup Finals as a neutral, which should make a nice change of pace (come on the Hibees though).

I'd like to take the SFA boards, panels, whatever, lock them in a room and set it on fire.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the Rangers situation, I've been doing a good bit of media work in the last few weeks and have been at mos of the press conferences and whatnot.
    McCoist and the majority of the staff at rangers KNEW who the SFA panel were already before Ally's outbursts. There were Rangers representatives at the meeting with the panel and they obviously told other people in the club.
    Ally wanted to make them public. Bit of a sinister move.

Also, Walter was claiming on Thursday that Whyte was the only person that knew anything about the PAYE being unpaid. I don't believe for a second that he was the only person in the whole club that controlled the club's tax affairs. There are a lot of people within that club who have a lot to answer for but are lucky because they have the easy-out of blaming Whyte.

Also, Fanny, the sanctions do seem pretty harsh, but its a no-win for the SFA. They give lighter sanctions and the rest of the SPL go into meltdown because Rangers are getting off easy. Very tricky tightrope to walk. It looks as if theyre going down the route of - harsh sancitons to appease everyone else, let them appeal it, knock it down a bit, everyones happy (or not so raging).

At the moment all those connected with Rangers are placing the blame solely on him, but what happens when the big tax case goes through and they are possibly found guilty? All the defence of Murray and the running of the club over the past decade goes down the drain.

Anyway, Liquidation is cert right now by the looks of things.

Was down covering the protest march for Real Radio on Saturday. Astonishing amount of Rangers fans out for it, so fair play to them. Sectarian tunes all over the place though, but I suppose the police had bigger worries.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I hardly know anyone with a basic grasp of the situation who blames whyte fully. These guff bags who think he is the primary blame are fucking idiots and have no idea what's going on.

I do not condone the march Hamden at all, an the sectarian pish that appears to have one with it is partial reasoning behind this.
    TAPS AFF!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hardly know anyone with a basic grasp of the situation who blames whyte fully. These guff bags who think he is the primary blame are fucking idiots and have no idea what's going on.

I do not condone the march Hamden at all, an the sectarian pish that appears to have one with it is partial reasoning behind this.
    I mean, the march istelf was fair enough. The vast majority were well enough behaved and they wanted to have their voices heard. No problem with that. But fucking hell have a bit of common sense and don't shoot yourself in the foot by singing about being up to your knees in fenien blood. If you want anyone to take the march seriously you have to clamp that out.

As you say, most people with a decent bit of knowledge on the subject don't fully blame Whyte, but I sat in a presser for 45 minutes and heard Walter Smith and Sandy Jardine spout over and over that it was ONE MAN and it's all his fault. The Rangers fans who aren't fully grasped on it all will listen to that. Its the same general line from the football club as a whole too.

Just put your fucking hands up Rangers, accept a bit of liability, take your punishment and move on for fuck sake.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I 100% agree with your statement why people like Jardine and smith are acting in this way make no sense? What is it you are doing with yourself to be part of press conferences and that if you don't mind me asking.
    TAPS AFF!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished a Masters in Broadcast Journalism, so been picking up shifts with Real Radio for the past couple of weeks to do it.

Shit situation for Rangers but a bloody great time to be getting involved in covering it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Good stuff. Aye hopefully the news picks up a bit for us.

Post the scoops from Scottish fitbaw.
    TAPS AFF!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, absolutely nothing is happening APART from Rangers.

It's been pretty cool chatting to Peter Martin, DJ and Roughie about it though and getting their unfiltered opinions. Defo unbroadcastable.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Spill a bit of beans!
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Bill Miller it is then! Who I wanted from the start, wonder what's next?
    TAPS AFF!