User Tag List

Page 2 of 1090 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** English Football Discussion Thread

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spurs will finish higher than Arsenal next season I think. Lennon, Huddlestone, Jenas, King and Dawson should all improve, and Berbatov's bound to be more consistant throughout the whole season now he's settled.

Simon
    I wouldn't be so confident that we WILL finish above them, but I definitely think it's a possibility. Most Arsenal fans don't seem to think it's a possibility - hopefully their players and manager don't think so either, their complacency could really work in our favour.

I think next season, if Liverpool strengthen up front, we'll see them fighting with United and Chelsea for the title, with us and Arsenal fighting for the final Champions' League spot. Whatever way you look at it, the idea of 'the big four' is probably over now - it's never really been true anyway, considering Liverpool have never won the title and the last few years United and Chelsea have been miles ahead of the other two, but more than ever now I think it's either decreased from 'the big two/three' or increased to 'the big five', depending on your outlook. I wouldn't discount any other sides from challenging for the Champions' League either - if Big Sam sorts Newcastle out, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to fight it out in the top six, and I think Hughes is doing a great job at Blackburn and could keep them fighting too.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Spurs will finish higher than Arsenal next season I think. Lennon, Huddlestone, Jenas, King and Dawson should all improve, and Berbatov's bound to be more consistant throughout the whole season now he's settled.
    Spurs should be better, but so should Arsenal. Without the injury problems they've had this season and with the ever improving youngsters, they will definitely be hoping for a much better season.

The Pride of the Midlands Prototype16's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post

I think next season, if Liverpool strengthen up front, we'll see them fighting with United and Chelsea for the title, with us and Arsenal fighting for the final Champions' League spot. Whatever way you look at it, the idea of 'the big four' is probably over now - it's never really been true anyway, considering Liverpool have never won the title and the last few years United and Chelsea have been miles ahead of the other two, but more than ever now I think it's either decreased from 'the big two/three' or increased to 'the big five', depending on your outlook. I wouldn't discount any other sides from challenging for the Champions' League either - if Big Sam sorts Newcastle out, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to fight it out in the top six, and I think Hughes is doing a great job at Blackburn and could keep them fighting too.
    Everton too. They need to build on last season as under Moyes they seem to be alternating between good seasons and mediocre ones. Hopefully those clubs get closer, Bolton will probably struggle though

But the big four thing is as true as its ever been, there's always been other teams who could finish in the top four, as Everton did in 2005. But the gap between fourth and fifth was bigger this season than in the previous couple of years and you have to go back to 2004 for the last time someone else won a cup. Spurs certainly haven't formed a Big Five. The only change is that Chelsea and Man United are pulling clear of the other two in the league

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    The points difference between 1st and 5th was about the same as between 5th and the relegation zone.

*user status change*
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen a rumour on a couple of forums that Rafa Benitez might be resigning tommorow, apparantly due to lack on transfer funds being given. Probably absolute rubbish, but who knows. Thought it might be worth mentioning.

Simon
    That rumour has been around for a while, now.

Also, the Henry/Liverpool thing was apparently because his agent was at Anfield...to discuss the possible of transfer of his other client, Malouda.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    rumour has it we need a fucking assistant!!!!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by Prototype16 View Post
    Everton too. They need to build on last season as under Moyes they seem to be alternating between good seasons and mediocre ones. Hopefully those clubs get closer, Bolton will probably struggle though
    I think Everton are in for a really good season. Solid defence (only conceded 36 goals last season, 18 less than Blackburn and Spurs), midfield full of quality players like Arteta, Cahill and probably Jagielka, plus impressive young forwards in Vaughan and Anichebe who are only going to improve.

There's plenty of clubs around who are capable of having decent seasons. Spurs, Everton, Blackburn and Pompey should all be stronger than last season. Newcastle and West Ham's spending power should see them both improve dramatically on their disappointing campaigns last time around. Sunderland are a bit of a wildcard. I doubt Reading or Bolton will be as consistent next year, but who knows.

Hopefully at least one club will find the consistency needed to disturb the top four.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    I forgot about Villa. They're looking in good shape too.

The Rosk
    Villa are going to fuck people over next season. Like, make them want to kill themselves and shit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Probably their own fans though.

The Rosk
    Not likely. We've got the best team eva mate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be so confident that we WILL finish above them, but I definitely think it's a possibility. Most Arsenal fans don't seem to think it's a possibility - hopefully their players and manager don't think so either, their complacency could really work in our favour.

I've read all the posts above me and got to agree with them, think we've got more chance of crashing the top 4 than Blackburn and the like, and I personally don't see much of a gap between us, Spurs and potentially Newcastle and West Ham. We naturally need to strengthen, hopefully we can pick up Jags and Nugent to start with and anything else would be a bonus (MANNY!!!).

Real think it's a top 2 now, how you can even claim Liverpool are close to challenging for the title is beyond me, it's been years since they've been impressive in the Premiership and it appears that all they use it for is for entry into the Champions League, granted a couple of good strikers and a few more signings and perhaps they could go for it but I don't think it's going to be an overnight thing. They get a little bit too much respect or fear from the rest of the Premiership, obviously they're a top side for finishing 3rd and 4th but they're not in that league with Chelsea and United where you're always expecting defeat, I feel like on a good day you can always pick up something against the shite, much like with Arsenal. It's that general level of consistency that I think both the teams lack, and that's why I don't think we'll be seeing them win the league for a couple more years at the very least, especially with the many floating around Chelsea and United potentially, whilst Liverpool's owners seem to have broken the zip to their fanny packs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I forgot about Villa, they could be a threat next season as well with a couple of good signings.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Not likely. We've got the best team eva mate.
    TOP 1 THIS YEAR LADS!

I'm looking forward to my annual trip to Villa Park, even though it'll no doubt be yet another dull, depressing game. We ALWAYS play shit there. In the last three seasons, I honestly can't even remember us having a shot on goal.
    Last edited by UK Blue; June 11th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

The Rosk
    0-0 this season was fucking bollocks.

TOP ONE THIS YEAR THOUGH LADS.

I dno't understand why people keep expecting West Ham to do so well next season. Wow, they've got financial backing. Like that ever gave definite immediate success.

You need someone to turn your club completely upside down like Sir Martin of O'Neill.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    rumour has it we need a fucking assistant!!!!
    apparentley we have one. Dont know how true this is

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    0-0 this season was fucking bollocks.

TOP ONE THIS YEAR THOUGH LADS.

I dno't understand why people keep expecting West Ham to do so well next season. Wow, they've got financial backing. Like that ever gave definite immediate success.

You need someone to turn your club completely upside down like Sir Martin of O'Neill.
    Don't necessarily think they'll do well but with the type of players they're looking to bring in I think they have the potential to do so, much like Newcastle have had for the last ten years.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    apparentley we have one. Dont know how true this is
    gadsby says announcment by end of week

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to talk down my own team or anynthing but how could any sane person value Birmingham City at £70 Million?

Half that, maybe.

I'm sceptical but the Golds and Sullivan don't really have a choice if such an offer is on the table, as a business decision it would be madness not to sell.

Whaddaya think about that 1_Pablo_Angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Blue View Post
    TOP 1 THIS YEAR LADS!

I'm looking forward to my annual trip to Villa Park, even though it'll no doubt be yet another dull, depressing game. We ALWAYS play shit there. In the last three seasons, I honestly can't even remember us having a shot on goal.
    Fancy St Andrews again next season mate? Can't be as bad as last time

What is it about Birmingham??

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sit next to the away fans at St. Andrews and when a few of the boys in have the bit between their teeth it's fucking shamefull the abuse they dish out.

Best away fans of last year; Newcastle, Preston, Southampton, Southend and Norwich.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Pablo_Angel View Post
    Fancy St Andrews again next season mate? Can't be as bad as last time

What is it about Birmingham??
    If they try and charge me £45 for a ticket again, I expect I'll give it a miss..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I sit next to the away fans at St. Andrews and when a few of the boys in have the bit between their teeth it's fucking shamefull the abuse they dish out.

Best away fans of last year; Newcastle, Preston, Southampton, Southend and Norwich.
    And fucking Sunderland mate.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And fucking Sunderland mate.
    I was working during that game so never got to find out.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    and derby you bastard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Derby have fans?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    yeh we do actually cunt-face

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

I was there for the Newcastle game, great atmosphere. Cracking cup game as well.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunderland's fans were good when we played them.

Birmingham's didn't need to be, sadly. It was just a ncie day at the seaside for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they try and charge me £45 for a ticket again, I expect I'll give it a miss..
    Don't think I'd have paid 45 quid... you sure about that?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Can't remember now tbh. I do know tickets at St Andrews are ridiculously overpriced, even if they are a MASSIVE club.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye. MASSIVE club!!!1

Savage couldn't handle the pressure of being at such a MASSIVE club. Division 1 is serious business.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep hearing disturbing rumours about us not having any money after all and that we're going after Diego Forlan.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    It would take a lot of money to get Forlan right now. He's been a revelation in Spain, and is undoubtedly better than any of Liverpool's current forwards. Sorry for the reality check.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gutted.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    derby have apointed a new managing director

the name escapes at the minute

but he had s similar role at chlesea and helped tremendosly with securing the abramovich deal

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would usually take the following rumour with a pinch of salt but Alan Nixon has very good contacts in the area:

EXCLUSIVE: Blackburn are latest Prem club targeted by American buyers
    By Alan Nixon 13/06/2007

BLACKBURN are set to become the latest Premiership club to fall into American hands.

The Ewood Park outfit, managed by Mark Hughes, are close to following Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa by selling out to the dollar - with insiders revealing a deal is 'imminent'.

An official approach has been made and chairman John Williams now is conducting the negotiations which should see the Lancashire club under US ownership before the start of next season.

Rovers are keeping the identity of the bidders secret, although they have admitted in the past that they were open to offers.

Their success on the pitch and healthy financial state make them attractive. Williams runs a tight ship and there is no debt to worry about.

As Premiership clubs go Rovers are an interesting buy - even if they do pull smaller crowds and lack star appeal.

There are a number of leading American sports tycoons who have been looking at England to add to their portfolio.

Billionaire Paul Allen, who was keen on Southampton, is one buyer in the market.

San Francisco-based wheeler-dealer Jerome Simon is also looking for an English club after talks with Manchester City.

There should be an announcement from Blackburn shortly. And any takeover - with American money - would see boss Hughes in a stronger position to buy players and push for a Champions League finish after two successive UEFA Cup qualifications.

Fresh funds would help the bid for old boy Craig Bellamy at Liverpool and strengthen chances of keeping top scorer Benni McCarthy - or buying an even better replacement.

The deal hinges on whether the trustees of the late Jack Walker, the former owner and chairman, approve of the sale. If they think the Americans are serious players there could be a swift and positive conclusion to the deal.
    After so many years of being owned by the Walker family, I'm of course concerned about a possible change in ownership. If we're to maintain our position as a top half Premiership club though, new investment is probably the only way we can do that.

We're probably a conundrum to an investor. We're admittedly a small club with a small fanbase but as the article says, we're exceptionally well run by John Williams the Chairman and we have no debt (the only debt we have is loans from the Walker family that are interest-free and have no fixed repayment period). We also have an excellent manager and an excellent squad that isn't too fair off bigger things. The next TV deal means our gates are pretty much an irrelevance financially.

The Walker family and the trustees have seen the rise of Jack's businesses like FlyBe in recent years, they're no mugs and them having the final say in any matter regarding investment makes me confident that any decision made will be positive for the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God everything is being taken over by rich investors these days. No wonder the prices for some players are getting higher and higher and more ridiculous.

The Rosk
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/6747441.stm

Sean Bean getting involved, Mik. Mental.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by da_man View Post
    Would usually take the following rumour with a pinch of salt but Alan Nixon has very good contacts in the area:

After so many years of being owned by the Walker family, I'm of course concerned about a possible change in ownership. If we're to maintain our position as a top half Premiership club though, new investment is probably the only way we can do that.

We're probably a conundrum to an investor. We're admittedly a small club with a small fanbase but as the article says, we're exceptionally well run by John Williams the Chairman and we have no debt (the only debt we have is loans from the Walker family that are interest-free and have no fixed repayment period). We also have an excellent manager and an excellent squad that isn't too fair off bigger things. The next TV deal means our gates are pretty much an irrelevance financially.

The Walker family and the trustees have seen the rise of Jack's businesses like FlyBe in recent years, they're no mugs and them having the final say in any matter regarding investment makes me confident that any decision made will be positive for the club.
    Seems like a weird choice, though. I'd have thought Blackburn are one of the few sides in the Premiership who have a real 'upper limit' to how big they can be, because of the location and to an extent the ground. If the investors are serious then you could get a new ground, but who's going to fill it up? Seems a very strange team to go for. Birmingham, Sunderland and the like have a logic to them because of their location and fanbase/potential fanbase, but Blackburn aren't in the same boat.

Vanquisher of Jesus Sucks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck off Sharpe.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    yeh wheres the replica top dufus

i really wish sheff utd wouls shut the fuck up moaning

they got relegated because they finished with the 3rd least points in the division they had ample opurtunity to win enough points

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    West Ham are fucked now that Sharpes involved

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester Evening News reporting that Hughes tops Man City's wanted list.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....et_sparky.html

I found this bit particularly amusing...

"City, with a far bigger fan base and profile than Blackburn and armed with the potential to launch a sustained European campaign, would be an obvious attraction for Hughes, 43, who is regarded as the top young manager in the country."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Not much wrong with that statement, except it leaves out the fact that Blackburn are currently a much, much better side than City, and probably have more money available for transfers to boot.

Hughes would be foolish to go there. This Thai PM thing will never materialise.

Simon
    Remember when I said City could go after Ramos and everyone laughed at me, guess who's top of their wish list! Might not happen, but still...I am amazing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    There is absolutely no chance of Ramos going there. It would be an unbelievable backwards step.

Although to be fair, I didn't think there was any chance of Benitez leaving Valencia for Liverpool when he did. Slightly different situation though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell, Sean Bean is involved?

West Ham are fucked. FUCKED.

Sheffield United have my full support.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is absolutely no chance of Ramos going there. It would be an unbelievable backwards step.

Although to be fair, I didn't think there was any chance of Benitez leaving Valencia for Liverpool when he did. Slightly different situation though..
    Yeah basically everyone at Valencia hated Benitez. I didn't know that at the time.

Also, Ranieri was at the top of City's wish list.

The Pride of the Midlands Prototype16's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough start for us- Cardiff and Southampton away, Charlton and Wolves at home. Should make for an interesting start to the season and hopefully some decent crowds. I'm already looking forward to West Brom at home just before Christmas

Now we just need some players......

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite my loathing the FA for our first fixture - Away to Chelsea - our first 6 matches could have been a lot harder.

Second match, at home to Sunderland.

BRING IT ON MIK!

And the big one, 10/11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to be in bad shape when you lose your first two matches.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    could of been worse for us i guess

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it could have been. Portsmouth are a hard team to peg and may be too god for us. City as of right now having lost barton i think would be beatable. Spurs wont be easy but as nobody expects a thing out of us what the hell have we got to lose

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orient (H)
    Leeds (A)
    Millwall (H)
    Brighton (A)

Amazing start to the season. Looking forward to it already.

Simon
    Orient could be fucked this season. I get all the news on them from my mate at Uni who's a huge Orient fan. At present, they have only 8 professional players on their books, having released a shitload and then been unable to secure new contracts on a load of others. We've just agreed some kind of feeder club deal with them, so it wouldn't surprise me if a few of our youngsters end up there this season on loan - they were in the hunt to sign Charlie Lee, who was very highly rated at the Lane, but he ended up going somewhere else.

As long as they keep Alton Thelwell, they'll always be ok, though.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All we've actually agreed is use of their ground Simon; everything else is pretty speculative.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

As long as they keep Alton Thelwell, they'll always be ok, though.
    i saw him play for hull at pride park last season

shit hot player

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having not been especially bothered with the U21 tournament, I was wondering if anyone has spotted some decent players playing.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by turdpower View Post
    Having not been especially bothered with the U21 tournament, I was wondering if anyone has spotted some decent players playing.
    The Czech number 4 was excellent, and Royston Drenthe of Holland has been the best player on the pitch in both games Holland have played.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Nani been a bag of shite?

Simon
    He's not been very good, to be fair. You can see he has a lot of quality, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drenthe has been phenomenal whereas Babel has looked like a greedy shithouse.

Simon
    I remember being impressed by Drenthe when England played Holland early this year (when Rooney scored his first goal in 12985938558585 internationals), he bombed up and down the touchline like a maniac but never seemed to get caught out. Great support for the attackers...looks like he could have a big future.

Vanquisher of Jesus Sucks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you suggesting he goes to a MASSIVE CLUB?

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'd have to wait 3 years to sign though.

IRREPLACEABLE Fulham Road Supporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now we are neck and neck with Liverpool on consecutive league home games without defeat (63), one more clinches the record...And we have Birmingham to try and stop us .

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    you laugh, but as i remember it you struggled against wigan on the first day of the 05/06 season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephens final report comes out soon doesn't it?

And I am absolutely sure I saw someone carrying a paper in town today that said KANU PROBE on the back...

"Harry likes a bung"

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Has Nani been a bag of shite?
    He was fucking rubbish last night. Spent most of the time on his arse complaining, right skinny little bastard he is as well.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Pablo_Angel View Post
    Stephens final report comes out soon doesn't it?

And I am absolutely sure I saw someone carrying a paper in town today that said KANU PROBE on the back...

"Harry likes a bung"
    except the kanu deal under scrutiny was him leaving arsenal to got to WBA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, as soon as I posted that I thought he went to Pompey on a free...

Oh well. Read my post as two completely unconnected statements instead then

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    will do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulham Road Supporter View Post
    Right now we are neck and neck with Liverpool on consecutive league home games without defeat (63), one more clinches the record...And we have Birmingham to try and stop us .
    Wouldn't get too cocky mate.

If it wasn't for a late equaliser a few years back we'd have beat you there 1-0 courtesy of Walter Pandiani.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    i dont believe im gonna agree with a brummy, but mon u birmingham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    you laugh, but as i remember it you struggled against wigan on the first day of the 05/06 season
    I remember it too, I was there. We were away though, this is home, it won't be a problem. Nice start to the season, Pizzarro and Sheva to get a brace each.

Wouldn't get too cocky mate.

If it wasn't for a late equaliser a few years back we'd have beat you there 1-0 courtesy of Walter Pandiani.
    To be fair you've given us a few hard games, other then your first season in the Prem I don't remember dicking on you lot. That was a bastard of a day, the queues took stupidly long and I missed Gudjohnsen's goal after about two minutes. That is the last and possibly only time I've missed Kick Off.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    NOVEMBER 28TH before we get a BIG team at home, chelski!

on east midlands today it had a graphic of derby badge in the background with mourhino in the foreground, and i thought weve arrived!

and to make things even better forest have to play teams like bournmouth and bristol rovers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just looking at the Derby fixture not half hour ago, pondering for a good ten minutes whether to go or not.

Normally it's a no-brainer but I'm back at uni for my last year and I wasn't really up for any northern aways but I think I will. Until Sunderland came back up, I regretted not going there the other season, and in the nicest possible (and least patronising way) I don't want to be filled with regret if you go down and don't re-emerge.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    no offence taken, at the end of the day theres no reason why we shudnt stay up!

who would have thought wigan and reading would have achieved what they did in their first seasons?

it will be one hell of a scrap , no doubt, but we have the right man in charge at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree, you have a chance of staying up of course, I just don't see it as a good one.

Reading and Wigan I reckon were different, more teams are now being bought out and there will be a harder playing field.

I guess the obvious ones for the drop would be you, Wigan, Boro and the other two just promoted must be the favourites for the drop. Reading and Bolton as outsiders IMO, I bet both finish below 13th. Man City even if they do get a good manager will have a task staying up, they are just getting worse and worse.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boltn could be in big trouble. Fulham if sanchez cant get people in as he hates that squad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the fixtures where supposed to be drawn entirely randomly by a computer?

So it's just a coincidence that Liverpool play Man United on December 15th, the same day that Arsenal play Chelsea? And just another huge coincidence that on March 22nd it's the same again?

Nothing to do with Sky influencing the fixtures so that they can have a couple of 'omgz super SUPER sunday!!11!'

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always sort of been like that, they aim to give the Champions or second team an easy start to the season as well so that one of them can claim the top spot early on.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I thought the fixtures where supposed to be drawn entirely randomly by a computer?

So it's just a coincidence that Liverpool play Man United on December 15th, the same day that Arsenal play Chelsea? And just another huge coincidence that on March 22nd it's the same again?

Nothing to do with Sky influencing the fixtures so that they can have a couple of 'omgz super SUPER sunday!!11!'
    Well obviously they are drawn with certain things in mind, ie fixture congestion, local rivals have to play either on different days or one is at home and the other away etc...

But it's surely only good for the FA if such big games are bunched together.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, obvoiusly i'm aware that there are certain influences that need to be taken into consideration (i.e. Merseyside police requesting liverpool/everton never be drawn at home on the same day, etc. etc.). But didn't think that it would reach a point where the TV companies get to handpick when fixtures get played.

And, likewise, you could argue that grouping all the 'big' games together means you're then stuck with 14weeks of watching the likes of fulham vs. derby and other games that appeal less to the mainstream market.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how many of our fixtures get re-arranged to 12.45pm, especially after meeting with Rick Parry last week and urging him to put the pressure on Sky to stop fucking us about, and to stop LFC being an easy touch.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also the fact it happens twice is the figures are in theory mirrored

Like banging your head on a keyboard and hitting quick reply.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone's interested, here is the League Cup first round:

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bradford City
    Grimsby Town v Burnley
    Rochdale v Stoke City
    Scunthorpe United v Hartlepool United
    Port Vale v Wrexham
    Crewe Alexandra v Hull City
    Chester City v Nottingham Forest
    Sheffield United v Chesterfield
    Rotherham United v Sheffield Wednesday
    Barnsley v Darlington
    Bury v Carlisle United
    Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City
    Preston North End v Morecambe
    Stockport County v Tranmere Rovers
    Accrington Stanley v Leicester City
    Macclesfield Town v Leeds United
    Oldham Athletic v Mansfield Town
    Blackpool v Huddersfield Town
    Watford v Gillingham
    Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic
    Milton Keynes Dons v Ipswich Town
    Southend United v Cheltenham Town
    Norwich City v Barnet
    Shrewsbury Town v Colchester United
    Cardiff City v Brighton & Hove Albion
    Swansea City v Walsall
    Brentford v Bristol City
    Bristol Rovers v Crystal Palace
    West Bromwich Albion v AFC Bournemouth
    Peterborough United v Southampton
    Hereford United v Yeovil Town
    Queens Park Rangers v Leyton Orient
    Northampton Town v Millwall
    Dagenham & Redbridge v Luton Town
    Plymouth Argyle v Wycombe Wanderers
    Coventry City v Notts County

Also, Newcastle going to Bolton on day one of the season, that was definately intentional. Still, should guarantee a toon match on Sky.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to a point i dont know how intentional it is. With the amount of change and old boys and links there will always be a sensational link to start the season off. I think you can look at most weeks through the season and find a link of some sort

Simon
    I'm confident the Sunderland/Spurs game will be live on Sky, possibly the very first game of the season in fact - look at the past few years and the winners of the Championship usually get televised on the opening day of the season (although Reading weren't last season, so who knows).

Chelsea/Birmingham, Bolton/Newcastle and Sunderland/Spurs are probably the three most interesting games on the opening day of the season, maybe with Derby/Pompy too - two games on the Saturday and two on the Sunday, perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, obvoiusly i'm aware that there are certain influences that need to be taken into consideration (i.e. Merseyside police requesting liverpool/everton never be drawn at home on the same day, etc. etc.). But didn't think that it would reach a point where the TV companies get to handpick when fixtures get played.
    What do you think that they do? Put them into a big computer system with loads of clauses? They just think them up man.

I'm confident the Sunderland/Spurs game will be live on Sky, possibly the very first game of the season in fact - look at the past few years and the winners of the Championship usually get televised on the opening day of the season (although Reading weren't last season, so who knows).

Chelsea/Birmingham, Bolton/Newcastle and Sunderland/Spurs are probably the three most interesting games on the opening day of the season, maybe with Derby/Pompy too - two games on the Saturday and two on the Sunday, perhaps?
    I think that we'll be on Sky shitloads this season, especially if we have a decent season. Everyone in the Media wants to see how Keano gets on, want to see him going up against Allardyce, Fergie, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez etc etc. We're probably the most media interesting team I can ever remember being promoted.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of new info coming to light about a possible takeover of us:

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footba...name_page.html

Him being a Rovers fan makes the deal look perfect on paper.

And news from John Terry's wedding was that he had to step in and split up a fight betweeen one of the attendees and...Jody Morris.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems strange that Rooney would go to JT's wedding and not Gary Nevilles.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    why? just cause they play for the same team dont mean they have to be big mates, look at Teddy MBE and andy cole at man utd, they hated eachother with a passion!

not that im suggesting that rooney hates neville or ought

Simon
    Seems strange that Rooney would go to JT's wedding and not Gary Nevilles.
    Rooney did go to Neville's wedding. He went to Neville's and Carrick's, but not Stevie G's this weekend. But said he was gutted he couldn't go to Gerrard's.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's the same again on March 22nd because when fixtures are player, the reverse fixtures are also played on the same weekend.

Like when it's about January and the fixtures from the first game of the season get played in reverse.

Simon
    Already been covered.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rooney did go to Neville's wedding. He went to Neville's and Carrick's, but not Stevie G's this weekend. But said he was gutted he couldn't go to Gerrard's.
    Christ. Was that some mental travelling or cleverly space wedding starts and days?