User Tag List

Page 1077 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 10671073107410751076107710781079108010811087 ... LastLast
Results 107,601 to 107,700 of 108985

Thread: ***Official*** English Football Discussion Thread

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that acca on son

The Rosk
    113/1 - no problem babyyyyyyyyy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor show by BT this week, 2 six pointers at the bottom of the table and they've got the usual suspects on live. Chelsea vs. Arsenal holds a morbid fascination I guess, knowing a loss here and a loss to Burnley, as well as the six pointers this week where a few teams down there will pick up points, means they might only be a couple of bad weekends away from the relegation zone. Not gonna happen, but still actually plausible at this point.

Hoping Villa and Bournemouth get results tonight. Villa are no longer "too big to go down" obviously, but that's a big football side that the league is better off with them in it. And I like how Bournemouth have handled themselves since getting promoted a few years back, Howe surely being the manager of the decade on these shores, so them going down would be disappointing. Norwich, Brighton and Watford would be the preferred 3.

The Rosk
    I want Burnley to go down as they remain anti-football.

The Rosk
    As unlikely as it is, Burnley, Newcastle and Watford can get fucked out of here. Give us Watford's stars and send Deeney to the bin. That great bastard. He's gonna score again tonight isn't he.

Fuck what have I done.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watford are going to be in the Europa League places, the way they're going.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    As unlikely as it is, Burnley, Newcastle and Watford can get fucked out of here. Give us Watford's stars and send Deeney to the bin. That great bastard. He's gonna score again tonight isn't he.

Fuck what have I done.
    Deeney celebrating in front of the Holte End. Inject it into my veins.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Poor show by BT this week, 2 six pointers at the bottom of the table and they've got the usual suspects on live.
    Amazon's coverage is definitely the future. Just fuck the lot on, let people watch they want and offer one of those Soccer Saturday type things where it flicks from game to game depending on what is interesting.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's how they do it with the NFL in the States and it's class. I think there's that long standing fear of TV killing the live gate, but from a financial point of view that's not nearly the issue it was 20 years ago given the far greater increase in revenue from TV rights as opposed to reliance on attendance. It's bollocks, really. If a live match is priced appropriately for your fan base and you offer a product that people are willing to watch, attendance won't drop anyway. The people that turn up week to week now aren't just going to fuck it off because they can watch it on Amazon Prime.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Deeney celebrating in front of the Holte End. Inject it into my veins.
    You're a chameleon sponge mate. Get your own personality.

Simon
    Yeah, that's how they do it with the NFL in the States and it's class. I think there's that long standing fear of TV killing the live gate, but from a financial point of view that's not nearly the issue it was 20 years ago given the far greater increase in revenue from TV rights as opposed to reliance on attendance. It's bollocks, really. If a live match is priced appropriately for your fan base and you offer a product that people are willing to watch, attendance won't drop anyway. The people that turn up week to week now aren't just going to fuck it off because they can watch it on Amazon Prime.
    To be honest I think the idea that the live crowd should be protected is losing its sway and (full disclosure: MASSIVE armchair fan) I kind of think that is fair enough. The average PL game is watched by millions worldwide and hundreds of thousands in the UK, it seems antiquated to prioritise the experience of a relatively small minority. I don't particularly mind the untelevised 3pm thing because I can see how lower league attendances might be affected, but they could just as easily change the standard PL slot to another time that doesn't clash with lower league games, and ensure PL attendances don't drop by lowering ticket prices (offset by the increased money that would come in through more televised games).

TBH I am talking selfishly here, I have long looked forward to a true 'weekend of football':

Game 1 - 12.30pm Saturday
    Game 2 - 3pm Saturday
    Game 3 - 5.30pm Saturday
    Game 4 - 8pm Saturday
    Game 5 - 12pm Sunday
    Game 6 - 2pm Sunday
    Game 7 - 4pm Sunday
    Game 8 - 6pm Sunday
    Game 9 - 8pm Sunday
    Game 10 - 8pm Monday

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boxing Day just gone really was unfathomably brilliant, four games in a row. Basically 10 uninterrupted hours of top flight football.

That being said, there does need to be due consideration given to live fans, and that should be the case even if you're a bloodsucking Bezos vulture, for one reason if no other - watching on TV would be absolutely shit if there wasn't a live crowd. It's not antiquated to protect them [by implication, at the expense of the TV crowd] Simon - one of them is an integral part of the entertainment, the other isn't.

I think the Premier League is mostly exempt from the perceived problem, you don't see many empty seats regardless of the game - Wolves get 32k no matter who is in town. They got 28k for an FA Cup replay against Shrewsbury last season for fuck's sake. Live top level football is popular. It's the lower leagues that need to be protected.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    To be honest I think the idea that the live crowd should be protected is losing its sway and (full disclosure: MASSIVE armchair fan) I kind of think that is fair enough. The average PL game is watched by millions worldwide and hundreds of thousands in the UK, it seems antiquated to prioritise the experience of a relatively small minority. I don't particularly mind the untelevised 3pm thing because I can see how lower league attendances might be affected, but they could just as easily change the standard PL slot to another time that doesn't clash with lower league games, and ensure PL attendances don't drop by lowering ticket prices (offset by the increased money that would come in through more televised games).

TBH I am talking selfishly here, I have long looked forward to a true 'weekend of football':

Game 1 - 12.30pm Saturday
    Game 2 - 3pm Saturday
    Game 3 - 5.30pm Saturday
    Game 4 - 8pm Saturday
    Game 5 - 12pm Sunday
    Game 6 - 2pm Sunday
    Game 7 - 4pm Sunday
    Game 8 - 6pm Sunday
    Game 9 - 8pm Sunday
    Game 10 - 8pm Monday
    Don't forget Friday night. Sky used to do this I think.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You're a chameleon sponge mate. Get your own personality.
    Peter? Is that you?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangers View Post
    Boxing Day just gone really was unfathomably brilliant, four games in a row. Basically 10 uninterrupted hours of top flight football.

That being said, there does need to be due consideration given to live fans, and that should be the case even if you're a bloodsucking Bezos vulture, for one reason if no other - watching on TV would be absolutely shit if there wasn't a live crowd. It's not antiquated to protect them [by implication, at the expense of the TV crowd] Simon - one of them is an integral part of the entertainment, the other isn't.

I think the Premier League is mostly exempt from the perceived problem, you don't see many empty seats regardless of the game - Wolves get 32k no matter who is in town. They got 28k for an FA Cup replay against Shrewsbury last season for fuck's sake. Live top level football is popular. It's the lower leagues that need to be protected.
    I think so much football on TV has already done all the damage it can at this point. Why go to a live lower division game now if you can stay at home and watch a game at 12.30 and a game at 5.30? The Championship for example - has Sky showing every midweek game (through the red button) killed attendances? The correlation with the economy too - going to a game isn't cheap, taking into account high fuel prices and hikes in prices on public transport, as well as ticket prices. I don't think it's a case of "another game's on TV so need to bother", I think it's people voting with their pockets based on a system that is broken at a lower league level. You're expecting fans to pay over the odds for a product that isn't good enough, and you can't charge them less because the infrastructure doesn't allow it.

The Rosk
    I am absolutely petrified ahead of tomorrow.

We've just signed a lad called Samatta to plug the small issue of our squad having ZERO senior strikers. We look like we may be starting an 18 year old Yank called INDIANA VASSILEV on his own up top tomorrow night.

Win and we have it in our hands.

Lose and we are FUCKED.

Pray for us lads.
    Samatta not available for the game. Vassilev on bench. We stick with the 3 No.10s approach that has two goals from open play in three games, at home, to a relegation rival.

Drinkwater and Nakamba in the middle.

I'm scared. How the fuck are we gonna score. We can't expect Jack to do everything every fucking game ffs.

COME ON LADS

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I think so much football on TV has already done all the damage it can at this point. Why go to a live lower division game now if you can stay at home and watch a game at 12.30 and a game at 5.30? The Championship for example - has Sky showing every midweek game (through the red button) killed attendances? The correlation with the economy too - going to a game isn't cheap, taking into account high fuel prices and hikes in prices on public transport, as well as ticket prices. I don't think it's a case of "another game's on TV so need to bother", I think it's people voting with their pockets based on a system that is broken at a lower league level. You're expecting fans to pay over the odds for a product that isn't good enough, and you can't charge them less because the infrastructure doesn't allow it.
    TV games actively reduce lower league attendance outside of Saturday 3pms. Lower league average midweek attendances are higher on evenings without any televised Football.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck what have I done.

The Rosk
    Fuck me sideways. If only I put 50 quid on that. Oh wait

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Bournemouth will arrest their shite run with a win.
    Hey Rosk, we both got our predictions right!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Where the fuck was VAR for that City penalty? The ‘keeper was almost on the penalty spot at the time Jesus struck the ball. It’s actually laughable. This is what they’re supposed to be looking for and isn’t even a hard decision. Joke.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everton fuck me, Steve Bruce is the best manager ever.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Where the fuck was VAR for that City penalty? The ‘keeper was almost on the penalty spot at the time Jesus struck the ball. It’s actually laughable. This is what they’re supposed to be looking for and isn’t even a hard decision. Joke.
    They decided a while back they didn't really care about that. I don't really mind that to be honest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TV games actively reduce lower league attendance outside of Saturday 3pms. Lower league average midweek attendances are higher on evenings without any televised Football.
    How often does that happen? I don't remember the last Tuesday or Wednesday where a Prem, Championship or cup game hasn't been on the TV.

The Rosk
    Samatta not available for the game. Vassilev on bench. We stick with the 3 No.10s approach that has two goals from open play in three games, at home, to a relegation rival.

Drinkwater and Nakamba in the middle.

I'm scared. How the fuck are we gonna score. We can't expect Jack to do everything every fucking game ffs.

COME ON LADS
    WE SCORE BY BRINGING ON DOUGGY LOUIS AND PUT A STRIKER ON YOU MOTHERFUCKERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

WHAT A MOMENT

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Ha, what an interesting evening.

If it wasn’t for Spurs tomorrow, I might have even watched MATCH OF THE DAY. Really old school.

I cheered both Arsenal goals tonight and I’m ok with that.

The Rosk
    I cannot begin to say how monumentally important that win was for us. Last minute, in front of the Holte End, after Deeney's celebration too. You couldn't write it.

We now go out of the relegation zone with a massive game at Bournemouth next week. Fucking hell anyone could go down of about eight teams at this point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Liverpool get 4 points from their 2 games in hand, there will be 17 points between them and second place. There's 17 points between 4th and 19th. Mental.

Simon
    Love nights like last night where you remember that, ultimately, football is just completely mental.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Man United are in fucking decline.

The Rosk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four points between 5th and 14th. Teams like Everton and Newcastle are a good February from being Europa League contenders and a bad February from being in the bottom 3. The parity of shit is interesting at least.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Mourinho looked utterly depressed giving his post match interview to the BBC last night.

Apart from Liverpool running away with it and City and Leicester being the clear 2 and 3, the rest is just a cluster of shite. Should be great fun between now and the end of the season.

The Rosk
    We can't play you soon enough.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would laugh at United and Spurs more if we weren't also shit.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    I would laugh at United and Spurs more if we weren't also shit.
    I feel exactly the same as that about Arsenal and Utd.

Obviously, like.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Same here. It's remarkable that we are still sitting 4th after losing 6 and drawing 2 of our last 12. Some awful teams in this league.

Simon
    We were crap again last night after a good opening fifteen minutes where the tempo was really high. I mean Norwich were well worth a point and they are comfortably the worst team in the league. Cantwell was superb, as he always seems to be - I think once he goes to a team where his drive and creativity are matched by his teammates he'll be an England player no problem.

Minor plus points - Alli and Son scoring, Aurier once again looking like a decent player, Lo Celso playing no worse than Eriksen has been for the past year or so. Lloris didn't make any monumental fuck ups

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Same here. It's remarkable that we are still sitting 4th after losing 6 and drawing 2 of our last 12. Some awful teams in this league.
    One great team, two good teams and then it's just dross all the way down.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love nights like last night where you remember that, ultimately, football is just completely mental.
    I strongly disagree...

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rosk
    I'm not sure whether the average is higher, or whether there just aren't truly gash teams this year like a Huddersfield/Fulham etc, but a sea of mediocrity. Norwich, for example, have something about them, but the results have eluded them a LOT, with squad depth being the major issue after buying nobody in the summer. They would have spanked Hudd last year.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the point of view of teams that were battling for 7th place last season they could be reasonably assured that the teams below them would be getting beaten most of the time - if they put together a little run of results they would leave the mid table teams in the dust. This year teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are regularly giving up points to teams they would have strolled past a year or two ago so obviously we end up with 12 teams that just take points from each other.

It looks worse than it would normally because of how ridiculous Liverpool have been as well.

I like it.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I would love it if this Tevez thing was true.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Ha, me too.

Yesterday the rumour was Sanchez being recalled, today Tevez.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Should never have got rid of Zlatan.

Simon
    I'm not sure whether the average is higher, or whether there just aren't truly gash teams this year like a Huddersfield/Fulham etc, but a sea of mediocrity. Norwich, for example, have something about them, but the results have eluded them a LOT, with squad depth being the major issue after buying nobody in the summer. They would have spanked Hudd last year.
    I definitely think the quality is higher this year at the bottom. I think I read that only three players from last year's relegated sides got bought by PL sides (Mooy, Billing and one other I forget) - this year you would imagine Cantwell, Aarons, Buendia and potentially Pukki and Godfrey from Norwich could get all get moves if they went down.

From other clubs in the scrap...Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Heaton (Villa), Wilson, Ake, Lerma, Brooks, Fraser (Bournemouth), Doucoure, Deulofeu, Deeney, Chalobah, Foster, Hughes, Sarr (Watford), Anderson, Haller, Rice, Fabianski, Diop, Lanzini, Snodgrass (West Ham), Dunk, Maupay, Trossard (Brighton)...loads.

Simon
    Anyone subscribe to The Athletic? Consistently good articles, well worth the £3-odd a month it costs

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t pay to read mate.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A replay might not be what we wanted, but St Andrew's is always a tough place to go and get a win.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beaten at home 7 times so far this season.

Simon
    What does everyone make of this Klopp thing, saying he won't be attending the replay? It seems a bit off and disrespectful, but then I guess why should the idea that you use less important games to offer experience only apply to players?

Also re. the idea that replays should be scrapped - one of the lower league cups (possibly the EFL Trophy?) allows teams to agree in advance for a game to go straight to penalties if it suits both teams. Wouldn't that be the perfect compromise? That way no lower league team has to miss out on a lucrative replay, but the option is there to settle it on the day if everyone is happy with it.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit fed up of all the whinging about games. I would guess they won't complain about the CL expansion that's planned when it comes around. They have a squad so use it.

That said I wouldn't care too much if replays were dropped. League cup works well enough IMO and could probably drop league cup semi to a 1 off game as the 2 leg thing is a bit shite.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also let's be real here the transfer window is dogshit and has been for a while. Let's freshen it the fuck up. 1 week long. First week of Jan. Games 1-19 are before the window. 20-38 are after.

If it means having a down week or a rest week who cares. I think just do the FA Cup 3rd round and then close the window the following Thursday Night. Just fucking get down to it.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The league Cup, both in Scotland and England is the most pointless thing ever. Why have two domestic cups? They should either scrap it or replace it with a UK wide competition.

The Rosk
    TV dinners eh? What's up with them? Get rid of 'em.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    The league Cup, both in Scotland and England is the most pointless thing ever. Why have two domestic cups? They should either scrap it or replace it with a UK wide competition.
    Only issue is you couldn't have european footbal on offer to winners but that's alright I guess

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be in favour of giving one of the Champions League places to the FA Cup winners.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    I'd be in favour of giving one of the Champions League places to the FA Cup winners.
    Yeah would add some prestige and give one of the top 8/9 a real chance to go for it. I would probably be in favour of the losing finalist getting it if the winner has already qualified.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id rather have a playoff of some sort for the qualification. IMO its kinda harsh that you could be the 4th best team in the league and still not get in cuz you got knocked out of the FA Cup in an earlier round to the eventual champions or something.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd scrap the League Cup and eliminate replays from the FA Cup, play league games in place of the 3rd-5th round league cup games and finish the season proper a couple of weeks earlier. Then do a play off between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th, seeded of course, with the winner of that getting the last Champions League spot, with the runner up and 3rd place play off winner getting the Europa League spots with the FA Cup winner. If you look at it in the context of this season (admittedly an anomaly), all but 4 teams would be within 9 points of contention at this stage. Isn't that what we want out of the league, more stakes in more games late in the day? We'd have a better stretch of climatic football too - league finale, semi finals, final, FA cup, Champions League.

I just don't see the point in the EFL cup anymore. The days where mid table teams give a shit to the point of getting to the latter stages are gone for the most part. Maybe the Villa fans on the board will disagree if they get a day out at Wembley after tomorrow. It exists essentially to give league 1/2 teams the odd decent gate if they draw a Prem team nowadays.

I'm somebody that thinks the structure of football is archaic, mind. I'd be trying all sorts to make things more exciting. League games that go to draws should go to penalties. 3 points for a win, 2 points for a shootout win, 1 point for a shootout loss, 0 points for a loss. I'd be having sin bins for second yellow's rather than sending's off. Actual structure to the clock so a whistle actually stops play rather than an interpretation of stoppages which is often just nonsense.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; January 27th, 2020 at 7:03 PM.

The Rosk
    I would have Champions League only contested by the champions of each league. Fuck 4th place bollocks.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    What does everyone make of this Klopp thing, saying he won't be attending the replay? It seems a bit off and disrespectful, but then I guess why should the idea that you use less important games to offer experience only apply to players?

Also re. the idea that replays should be scrapped - one of the lower league cups (possibly the EFL Trophy?) allows teams to agree in advance for a game to go straight to penalties if it suits both teams. Wouldn't that be the perfect compromise? That way no lower league team has to miss out on a lucrative replay, but the option is there to settle it on the day if everyone is happy with it.
    I think Klopp should manage the game as it's a senior fixture, and I reckon he may see the reaction and decide to do it. A coach can has the opportunity to develop their skills from the sideline when the manager is there which isn't the same as a player who isn't able to learn how to handle situations directly from the sideline.

I hate the idea of clubs deciding between them whether to have a replay because it's open to manipulation. It would end up with the club in the lower league just doing what the higher league club wants to try and sweeten them up for loan deals.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Actual structure to the clock so a whistle actually stops play rather than an interpretation of stoppages which is often just nonsense.

Sure, if you make the time on the clock 60 mins rather than 90 mins otherwise nobody would ever buy a season ticket or away game ticket again.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we were making 1 HUGE rule change what would yours be?

I would be tempted at a salary cap of some sort.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how it was implemented. A salary cap which therefore reduces expense for the fans due to a lower wage bill? Yes. A salary cap where a greater level of profits from football business go to management? Not so much. I absolutely agree with the semantics of it though, as a league with greater financial parity would theoretically produce parity on the field as well.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do a lot to cut out dissent and time wasting. There was one proposed on F365 a while back about players not being allowed to touch the ball post-whistle unless specifically asked to do so by the referee, to stop that thing of players picking the ball up, running 15 yards (so they can get in position and stop the other team taking a quick free kick) and lobbing the ball back, often not especially close to where the opponent is.

I'd put a time limit on goal kicks (possibly set pieces in general, but time wasting is much worse at goal kicks than any other time) much like you have a period of time after scoring a try in rugby to take the conversion, or in the NFL where you have to start the next play within an amount of time etc. - I would make it probably 25-30 seconds from the ball going dead which is exceptionally generous - there is no reason at all why this couldn't be met. I saw Nick Pope earlier this season, while defending a 1-0 lead, every time it went out for a goal kick, two defenders would come in close, they'd set the whole goal kick up for a short one, then he'd walk forwards, 'change his mind', pick the ball up and reset for a long kick. He did it probably 7 or 8 times with no booking. Rather than this be a bookable offence, I'd make it so that possession is turned over and so in the case of a goal kick, an indirect free kick in the box is awarded - that should get things moving nicely.

To Fanny Batter/Alex's point above, I would happily have a shorter official game time with a proper stopping clock ala rugby.

Finally, and if I really was only able to do one change, it would be that only the team captain is allowed to even speak to the match officials. It becomes a bookable offence for the other players to approach them for any reason whatsoever unless summoned. The captain can of course still be booked for dissent if they are abusing the ref or whatever. It would be hilarious to see the Community Shield get thrown out after five minutes because a team of idiots can't help themselves and have all crowded the ref after an early decision goes against them - I'd feel bad for the fans but it would only take literally one game to kill that behaviour stone dead - maybe not even that as long as you communicate to the clubs very frankly that this behaviour will no longer be tolerated.

Simon
    I think Klopp should manage the game as it's a senior fixture, and I reckon he may see the reaction and decide to do it. A coach can has the opportunity to develop their skills from the sideline when the manager is there which isn't the same as a player who isn't able to learn how to handle situations directly from the sideline.
    I think the logic is that the U23s manager knows this group better and so will essentially be a better choice for the game. Klopp should certainly be at the game though. I'm a bit baffled that he says no first-teamers will be involved though, as surely the likes of Adrian, Lovren, Matip, Origi, Shaqiri, Minamino etc both want and need to play.

I hate the idea of clubs deciding between them whether to have a replay because it's open to manipulation. It would end up with the club in the lower league just doing what the higher league club wants to try and sweeten them up for loan deals.
    Good point, hadn't considered that.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really starting to detest big club mentalities.

Fuck about with the League Cup and FA Cup because a couple of games a season clash with UCL games? Fuck that.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post

Enforced profit sharing to pay for grassroots improvement and training for coaching.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, if you make the time on the clock 60 mins rather than 90 mins otherwise nobody would ever buy a season ticket or away game ticket again.
    Another thought on this point, if players knew that they weren't gaining an advantage by taking ages to take goal kicks, go off for a substitution, staying down injured and leaving the field of play after medical treatment etc, don't you think it would happen quite a bit less and thus the effect wouldn't be as great as it is now?

The reason is because they know they can take 90 seconds to take a goal kick and it won't result in 90 seconds of stoppage time, surely.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Another thought on this point, if players knew that they weren't gaining an advantage by taking ages to take goal kicks, go off for a substitution, staying down injured and leaving the field of play after medical treatment etc, don't you think it would happen quite a bit less and thus the effect wouldn't be as great as it is now?

The reason is because they know they can take 90 seconds to take a goal kick and it won't result in 90 seconds of stoppage time, surely.
    Possibly and I'd be well in favour of anything that cuts down on that stuff. However I do think as much as it's used for timewasting, it's also a tactical thing to allow teams to have a breather, take on tactical instructions, regather shape etc. so I don't think it would cut down on it much.

In my opinion referees just need to be a lot more proactive in penalising time wasting than they currently are.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multiball, that's one we can all get behind. 60th minute, 200 balls shot from the roof into play. Can't believe it's 2020 and they still haven't done it.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post

Every tv contract increase for the Premier league will inversely increase the amount paid to league, non-league and grassroots football. So if the new overseas contract goes up 10%, 15% of that increased amount goes down the pyramid.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how it was implemented. A salary cap which therefore reduces expense for the fans due to a lower wage bill? Yes. A salary cap where a greater level of profits from football business go to management? Not so much. I absolutely agree with the semantics of it though, as a league with greater financial parity would theoretically produce parity on the field as well.
    My hope would be that yeah cost would come down. The league wouldn't have to hope for EVER INCREASING broadcast revenue etc.

The thought of having to hold 4/5 subscriptions eventually to watch the football is awful. Let alone match day cost

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rosk
    Axel Tuanzebe has played 600 minutes in all competitions for United this year. For the love of god let us have him if you don’t fucking want him.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fanny, tell me more about this idea to scrap the League Cup.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like as good a time as any.

The Rosk
    Let’s sack it off after this year and let the last winners of it be the best winners ever. And that’s the real quiz.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Fucking shameful from the United fans. And no I won’t put quotes around the fan bit because to deny that they’re fans means there would have been no reason for them to go that far and also absolves all United fans. As if all the chants about Kill Woodward had no influence on their actions.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axel Tuanzebe has played 600 minutes in all competitions for United this year. For the love of god let us have him if you don’t fucking want him.
    He's had a long term injury. He'd be starting games if he was fit.

The Rosk
    Well, last night was fantastic. Obviously we are 1-9 down this season on aggregate to the most likely other finalists, but a day out at Wembley to fight for a trophy with a puncher's chance - can't complain.

That's two epic wins in two games. The belief is there. If this team gets relegated it'll be a fucking travesty. Keep them together next year and we've got the semblance of something really good.

I cannot begin to tell you how much Grealish could transform England's hopes of winning a trophy. He's above every other England midfielder at the moment IMO. Get rid of the Barkleys/Lingards/cunts and get him in.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, last night was fantastic. Obviously we are 1-9 down this season on aggregate to the most likely other finalists, but a day out at Wembley to fight for a trophy with a puncher's chance - can't complain.

That's two epic wins in two games. The belief is there. If this team gets relegated it'll be a fucking travesty. Keep them together next year and we've got the semblance of something really good.

I cannot begin to tell you how much Grealish could transform England's hopes of winning a trophy. He's above every other England midfielder at the moment IMO. Get rid of the Barkleys/Lingards/cunts and get him in.
    I have been more impressed by his mentality. He could quite easily have gone the way of loads of young talents and few years back, made some bad choices, got a big head and just drifted for years. Instead he stuck at Villa, got his head down and now looks like a proper all round player.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of good young players, anyone seen anything of Eduardo Camavinga of Rennes? 16 years old, playing week in week out in midfield and looks a fantastic prospect. Loves a tackle and can play a bit too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the England front - there's suddenly a few midfielders, Grealish especially, who are playing some really good football. It was a weakness in the Euro's, the lack of creativity in the middle of the park, and with Grealish and Maddison playing well there's no reason to believe we can't create through the middle. If Foden can kick on and Henderson can get a few games to hopefully show he's #1 already, there's the makings of something special in the Summer. Kane and Rashford won't be fucking knackered either considering their injuries coming at a reasonable time for the national side.

Simon
    Still think there are major weaknesses in the side though. The defence is nothing special, all the keepers are pretty average and there's a possibility we will have no striker.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay sorry if this is an inappropriate place to advertise but closest thread to advertise this without starting a new one.

If there’s any Man City or Newcastle fans on here, a colleague of mine has two tickets for the Man City-Newcastle game on 18th April but she and her friend can’t make it. It’s £100 for two.

PM me for details if interested.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t this said colleague get Man City vs Liverpool tickets
    Last edited by Chris Scott; February 13th, 2020 at 9:28 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Man City.

Does that mean 5th would be enough to qualify?

Could be the beginning of the end for Pep. Imagine if they won it this season.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be overturned on appeal, surely. Hilarious if not though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Offside from a pass that goes backwards?

Hmm apparently you can be. Still shite though. His ankle was an inch in front and was as good as level with the ball.
    Last edited by UK Blue; February 14th, 2020 at 5:04 PM.

The Rosk
    Mings not in the squad and Drinkwater starting???

Congrats in advance @Simon @Murphy

No idea what the fuck we are doing here

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonsillitis for Mings, apparently.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Oh Rosk. My sweet, sweet Rosk.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody Spurs!

Nice win for us though. Forgotten how good that felt.

The Rosk
    I couldn't have predicted yesterday's game more accurately. Made about £80 from various inplay bets. We are hilarious defensively without Mings. I really don't want to get relegated lads.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That was such a sham of a victory. But it makes the race for Top 4 (potentially 5) very interesting. 6 teams within 5 points of each other.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I didn’t even cheer the winner, that’s what VAR has done to me. Not that there could have been anything wrong with the goal. Even though Son could have scored about 5, I didn’t really think Spurs deserved to win that. First 20 minutes, Villa could have been out of sight.

At the back, man are Spurs bad. The fight for 4th/5th is going to be a car crash.

I hear Leipzig don’t have a fit centre half for tomorrow night, so fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny stuff but could easily have been sent off. I wish there was something that could be done about people acting that way though, it's embarrassing.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jurgen Klopp receives letter from ten year old with a perfectly reasonable request and Klopp tells him to get fucked. Disgraceful stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northe...-west-51580401