User Tag List

Page 3 of 1090 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** English Football Discussion Thread

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by turdpower View Post
    Christ. Was that some mental travelling or cleverly space wedding starts and days?
    He went by helicopter from one to another yesterday and had another one two days before, Terry's one I guess. Read it in the paper today. Three in 72 hours.

breakneck speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seen (late?) that Valencia have replaced the Kraut team in the Emirates tournament. Good times

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of being a football fan has been laid bare by a new league, which reveals that Manchester City fans are getting the worst value for money from their season tickets.

The Blues came bottom of a “goals per pound” league devised by personal finance website Fool.co.uk, which compared the price of a season ticket with the number of goals scored at home last season.

The Manchester side, which charges between £385 and £550 for a season ticket, scored just ten times at home, meaning their fans forked out £46.75 for every goal.

Blackburn Rovers topped the league with a cost per goal of just £11.25, having netted 31 goals at home.
    Related Links

Arsenal, where season tickets can cost up to £1,825, was the most expensive after City, with fans paying £31.50 for each of the 43 goals scored last season.

London rivals Chelsea were in sixth place with a cost per goal of £24.32. Manchester United, meanwhile, did well in the value stakes with each of their 46 goals costing just £14.24.

The Chairman of Manchester City Supporters Club said: “It’s been one of those seasons, and it’s a disgrace we’ve had to fork out nearly £50 for each goal we scored at home. Hopefully next season, fans’ money will be invested in new players which will see us climb down the league of costly goals”.

Separate research from Virgin Money has found that hardcore football fans will spend nearly £100,000 over a lifetime of following their team – nearly enough to pay off the average mortgage.

An avid fan with a season ticket who follows their team overseas will spend almost £20,000 on season tickets, £11,600 on tickets for away games and £40,000 on travel costs over their supporting lifetime. And that’s before club merchandise, programmes and match day food and drink.

The huge cost explains why one in every eight football fans is considering not renewing their season ticket, up 5 per cent on last year, according to Virgin Money. It said the cost of going to a game has risen nearly 18 per cent since January 2006.

Malcolm Clarke, chair of the Football Supporters’ Federation, said: “This research backs up what we’ve been saying for ages. Fans are being priced out of the game. The live match-going fan is football’s lifeblood. Without them, the millions from broadcasters and sponsors simply won’t materialise. We need a new deal for the match-going supporter.”

Club/Cost per goal

Blackburn: £11.25

Wigan: £13.88

Man Utd: £14.25

Everton: £14.28

Middlesbrough: £15.96

Liverpool: £17.30

Sheffield United: £18.01

Bolton: £18.42

Reading: £19.65

Charlton: £20.07

Aston Villa: £20.75

Newcastle: £20.89

Watford: £21.00

Portsmouth: £23.75

Chelsea: £24.32

Tottenham: £25.42

Fulham: £29.11

West Ham: £30.10

Arsenal: £31.50

Man City: £46.75
    Stolen from another forum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £21.83 is the average.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Man City only scored about two goals all season. If it wasn't for their solid defence they'd have been fucked.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and distin has left now. If richards was to go and they dont manage to strengthen it up again they are a bit fucked really

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Onouha looks a good player. No frills defender. Him and Dunne should be a good pairing but they look woefully short of quality in midfield and up front.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is he not meant to be a right back though? FM might be polluting my brain. Aye they need to sort it out big time. Samaras is wank as is corradi

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of his appearances for City have been at right-back but his best position is supposed to be centre-back and that's where he's looked impressive for the U-21s.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be a good deal. Would expect a bit more out of stephen ireland this year as far as city go. Perhaps sturridge might get a shot?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you boys heard (Mik especially) but Sunderland will be playing Juve at the Stadium of Light to celebrate 10 years in the stadium.

4th August I think, get down there Mik could be a cracker.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keano to give himself a game and terrorise them again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonLondon View Post
    Don't know if you boys heard (Mik especially) but Sunderland will be playing Juve at the Stadium of Light to celebrate 10 years in the stadium.

4th August I think, get down there Mik could be a cracker.
    Excellent that. Been busy all day so hadnt had the chance to discover that.

Should be a cracking game.

We'll trash the cunts.

The Pride of the Midlands Prototype16's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man City could be in big trouble unless they get things sorted soon, to have this much uncertainty at this stage of the close season is not good

Mik- has there been much talk your end about a bid for our captain Danny Higginbotham. There are a lot of rumours flying about on our board, would be a massive blow for us if he went. How worried should I be?

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    hmm well i cant talk for mik, but the only connection that springs to mind is that they worked together at manchester united

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I know that, he was arguably the best defender in the Championship last year so I can certainly understand why Sunderland and other lower mid table Premiership clubs might be being interested regardless of that connection. I'm just wondering how strong the interest is and hoping we keep him unless we get an offer that is simply too good to refuse as we can't just let our best players go if we want to progress further

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    sorry dude joust saying!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da_man View Post
    Keano to give himself a game and terrorise them again.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shinawatra has had a takeover bid accepted by Man City.

However he faces a 'fit and proper person' test by the Premier League before it can go ahead. Hmmm...a man facing corruption charges in Thailand and has had all his assets frozen - what are the chances?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asprilla the drug barron.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copy and paste from a good source on another board:

Eriksson has been offered a three-year contract worth £6m but he has asked for time to consider it. It is well known in football that Eriksson was touting himself round Spain last week, so presumably that is where he would rather go than City.

The City board have a back-up list of two in case Eriksson turns them down - Ramos, the Seville coach, who is thought likely to stay in Spain, and Hughes.
    Me thinks they might need some more backups.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would Hughes go to Man City? He spent most of his career playing for their main rivals, plus City are fucking shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? A three year contract worth £6m?

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what Eriksson's been offered. I'd be very, very surprised if the same offer applied to Hughes.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hughes has his eyes firmly on the United job. I'll be chuffed if he ends up leaving for there because it'll mean he's done a bloody amazing for us at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe so but if I was Hughes and third choice for the position I would be asking for a substantial wage, close to that of the first choice candidate. The Thai guy is obviously prepared to give a manager a large contract.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    Maybe so but if I was Hughes and third choice for the position I would be asking for a substantial wage, close to that of the first choice candidate. The Thai guy is obviously prepared to give a manager a large contract.
    He's also presumably not an idiot. Hughes won't be offered anything near £6m over 3 years.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its irrelevant anyway.

I can confirm ( ) that Hughesy has absolutely no interest in the City job.

Simon
    Why not? Works out at £40k a week, that's not a ridiculous wage nowadays, particularly not if this guy is minted and looking to buy his way to success.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a really interesting couple of days over on the unofficial Rovers board. Journo Alan Nixon who has very good contacts high up within the club has been breaking the latest information (with the consent of the club) and has signed up to the forum, initially to defend himself and his motives, and has since been clarifying a lot of the details of the men behind the takeover bid.

All very interesting stuff. He promises a big exclusive in this weekend's Sunday People.

Simon
    47 days until the new season begins.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    27 days til we're in Intertoto Cup action

Simon
    I'm actually very slightly jealous.

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Emirates cup is where the real action is at. Makes July worth living for.....

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    na derby county vs ilkeston town is where its at my liege

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peace Cup's where it's at boys; and you know this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    The Barclays Asia Trophy.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes indeed.

Pompey and Pool

I Rule ALL!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Sky Sports:

Carlos Tevez admits he is 'excited' by the possibility of interest from Arsenal.

The striker is considering his future, with West Ham United hoping to hang on to the Argentine after his influential end to last season.

He has been linked with Real Madrid and Internazionale, and has also suggested he is looking to join a big club over the summer.

Rumours have now claimed that Arsenal could move for Tevez following the departure of captain Thierry Henry to Barcelona.

Tevez, who is on Copa America duty with Argentina, concedes he would relish the chance of a move to Emirates Stadium as he is keen to stay in the Premier League.

"I know people are now talking about Arsenal and obviously that is something I am excited about," said Tevez in the Sun.

"It's another big club and the good thing is I wouldn't have to move out of London. I also already know English football and I like it.

"Arsenal's style is more technical than physical, so I could fit in no problem.

"My transfer is being talked about a lot. It's beautiful to be wanted by various clubs."

Meanwhile, Tevez told Gazzetta dello Sport that he would plump for Inter ahead of Real, if he was given the choice.

He said: "Inter is a great club. There is a true possibility that I will wear the Nerazzurri colours next season.

"It's also true that Real Madrid are interested in my services, but my agent knows exactly how I feel about it - better Inter than Real."
    __________________________________________________ ___________

That's the guy I want Arsenal to get more than any other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be great to see him remain in the Premiership and it would be a much needed boost for Arsenal if he went there, definitely good for the neutral.

Inter seems more likely though. Interesting to see that he doesn't seem too interested in Real- sensible bloke

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    ahaha,

Jermaine Defoe is on Big Brothers Little Brother, right now.

Simon
    His missus would get absolutely ragged. Defoe comes across as a top bloke.

Simon
    Good article re. Bent's signing and Spurs' chances for next season...

This is the signing that brings Tottenham Hotspur to the brink of breaking into the top four. Maybe next season we will be able to call the Barclays Premier League’s elite a top five. Tottenham now have a forward line as good as Liverpool’s and better than Manchester United’s, Arsenal’s and Chelsea’s. They have talent and depth.

Of course, at up to £16.5 million, Darren Bent is overpriced. That is more than Thierry Henry cost Barcelona. I don’t think I'm sticking my neck out by predicting that Bent will never reach Henry’s heights. He won’t become a Spurs legend – but nor is he the next Sergei Rebrov. And Bent is 23, while Henry is nearly 30. Spurs are buying a striker who has potential but who has already proved his worth in the Premier League for Charlton Athletic.

Martin Jol, the Tottenham head coach, said yesterday that he likes Bent’s stamina. He is a decent header of the ball, too, and an effective predator who hangs on defenders’ shoulders then sprints away to collect through-balls, of which there will be many next season. But is he an upgrade over Jermain Defoe? Yes, because Bent adds diversity. He is quicker than any of Spurs’ existing strikers and taller than Defoe, so he is more of an aerial presence.

Variety up front is key in the modern game. Where once clubs would have two decent strikers, now they have three or four. The great appeal of Peter Crouch for Liverpool and England is that he offers something different to his teammates. Bent will do likewise for Spurs because of his blistering pace. Robbie Keane and Defoe are too similar, which is why Jol decided they cannot play together, and Keane won out.

There is no reason why Bent and Keane will not work as a pairing. Whether they should play together is another matter. Keane and Dimitar Berbatov were the best strikeforce in the top flight last season. It would be foolish of Jol to split up such an effective duo. So Spurs have spent £16.5 million on a third-choice striker.

That sounds crazy but it is possible that Defoe will move on, perhaps for £10-12 million, even though he said yesterday that he wants to stay. So, Jol could argue, for a £4-6 million outlay he has upgraded his attack, and he will feel it is a price worth paying. Bent, certainly early on in his White Hart Lane career, is likely to accept that third-choice role without question, while Defoe – desperate for first-team action to boost his England prospects – would surely balk at spending another season as a bit-part player.

In any case, Bent will see plenty of action, with Tottenham expecting to go far in the Uefa Cup and domestic competitions, and Jol will start him in league games against opponents he feels are vulnerable to the forward’s style. Tottenham could even use Berbatov, Keane and Bent together. While he’s hardly a winger, Keane enjoys playing down the left. Whatever the lineup, this Spurs squad is full of goals. They now have a proper left back, in Gareth Bale. With a fit Ledley King and an inform Paul Robinson, all they need is a commanding midfield player.

Jol deserves immense credit. After so many false dawns, Tottenham are competitive at last. In 2004-05, Arsenal finished 31 points above their neighbours. It would not be a huge shock if Tottenham are placed ahead of Arsène Wenger’s side next May. At the moment, only in midfield could you say that Arsenal have a definite edge over Spurs.
    And, of course, the head coach has done an incredible job retaining Berbatov’s services with so many top clubs sniffing around. But if you hop on that train of thought, it doesn’t take you to a very pleasant destination.

Spurs’ resurgence is genuine but fragile. What if it is not Defoe who ends up leaving, but Berbatov? The optimism would evaporate. The future looks good for Spurs, but with this club you always expect that something will go wrong,
    somehow.
    Fair comment...we're well placed to fight for fourth, but it is very fragile - all our ambition is wrapped up in Berbatov, if we lose him then we'd be back to square one even if we get crazy money for him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rooney is number 10 next season.

Simon
    List of British and Irish players at Premiership clubs currently:

25: West Ham
    17: Manchester United, Birmingham
    16: Tottenham, Sunderland, Derby
    13: Everton, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Newcastle
    12: Reading, Manchester City, Wigan
    11: Blackburn
    9: Chelsea, Middlesbrough, Fulham
    8: Bolton
    7: Liverpool
    3: Arsenal

Quite funny that West Ham have way more British and Irish players than anyone else, but of their six foreign players, three are arguably their best players (Tevez, Benayoun and Neill)...and two of those will be gone soon, anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16? We have more than 16 Irish players alone.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brings out the national pride in me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Man Utd have 17? Don't quite see that, unless you're including the youth team players who have played in the League Cup a couple of times.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    foster,o'shea,scholes,giggs,fletcher,rooney,nevill e,ferdinand,brown,hargreaves, smith,richardson,carrick,bardsley,eagles

hmm 15 by my count but still not bad

arsenal

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Man Utd have 17? Don't quite see that, unless you're including the youth team players who have played in the League Cup a couple of times.
    Well all the clubs would presumably have been judged on the same criteria. Off the top of my head...

Giggs
    Scholes
    Neville
    Brown
    Carrick
    Foster
    Smith
    Rooney
    O'Shea
    Hargreaves
    Ferdinand
    Fletcher
    Richardson

So I suppose Eagles, Evans, maybe Bardsley and...Cathcart? I dunno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with Liverpools impendind deal with Athletico over Fernando Torres, what is everyone's opinion on El Nino.

Down here they don't show much Athletico games, but from the brief things ive seen, he looks 1st class.

So pissed Liverpool will be getting him, the kids only 23, and can carry them for a while.

While down at Arsenal it looks like another year of no big signings, very worried for this upcoming season, if we enter it with the team we have right now, we may struggle for champion league.

So opinions on Torres, is he the best option, is he a 1st class striker?

1st post in here, might add more.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    evans and simpson i guess as well you giant spackers.

Derby only have 16 due to the tiny squad we have also its now 17 with earnshaw and will be steadily increasing. Infact 2 youth players got professional contracts so it might be 19 now.

Arsenal dont need to sign anyone for a month at least. The team they have will be fine to get into the CL and anyone they will be signing wont be playing in qualifiers and so wont be cup-tied. The windows only been officially open for a day

Simon
    No it hasn't. The window officially opens at midnight the day the season ends. Someone linked me to a Villa forum where there was a pretty funny thread which started off with people moaning that they hadn't signed anyone yet, and then the forum vets doing the whole "" schtick and saying that the window wasn't even open yet and to stop whinging - then someone pointed out that the window had indeed been open for a month, and the place went mental. It was great.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon is right.

Its just that contracts generally expire on June 30th and so when all the pre-signed Bosmans go through, that's when it feels like transfer season has really begun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A player can sign a contract with another club once the season is over, but they can't be registered until the 1st of July.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    hey simons always right da_man, hes a fountain of knowledge

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its agreement in principle and hence can be back out of. Like the dudek scenario as far as i am aware. Thats why so many of them are 'in principle' and why the hargreaves move wasnt confirmed till yesterday.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone watched that programme on Sky One called something like "How TV changed football forever"

It was quite interesting, especially being young and becoming a fan when Sky had already bought the rights.

Simon
    So what do you lads anticipate your team lining up like next season then? Are you likely to see a formation change? Where is your team still looking to improve for the start of the season?

At the moment, Spurs' team will look something like this:

GK: Robinson
    DL: Bale
    DC: King
    DC: Dawson
    DR: Chimbonda
    ML: __________
    MC: Jenas
    MC: Zokora
    MR: Lennon
    FC: Berbatov
    FC: Bent

This is all hypothetical, though. We've just signed Kaboul, for one thing - King is going to miss the start of the season, so he'll be a regular starter and will instantly be given a chance to prove himself worthy of a regular starting place, presumably at Dawson's expense - the pair of them will have to perform to their best, and the weaker of the two will make way for Ledley.

It remains to be seen what happens down our left hand side, also. At the moment, we still don't have a left winger and haven't made any real headway in getting one - so we'll either be stuck playing someone (Lennon, Tainio, Malbranque or Zokora) out of position on the left, or we'll start with Lee at left back (where he ended up playing very well last season) and Bale ahead of him. I think that's a dodgy move though, people have seen Bale's qualities on the ball and assumed he can play up the pitch, but football doesn't work like that - Bridge, Cole and plenty of others have pushed up from full back before and shown that they don't really have the ability to play there.

I think Jenas and Zokora will definitely be our starting midfield provided we don't make any further signings there (it's unlikely that we will), but at the same time I think Jol will really look to play Huddlestone more next season - he started well when given his chance last year but fell away and was eventually dropped towards the end of the season, but with another year of experience under his belt I think he could get a lot of games next season, Jol really rates him - whenever he is questioned about Tottenham's future, he mentions Huddlestone before even established first-teamers like Dawson and Lennon as a player who will have a big impact on our future quality.

And finally up front...well, Christ knows. I think we'll start with Berbatov and Bent. But it could just as easily be Berbatov and Keane. Berby is a definite first choice and Defoe, right now, is definitely not. The other two, I really have no idea.

The other possibility is that we'll play 4-3-3, with Keane and Lennon in the wide positions behind Berbatov up front. We played this a few times last season, mostly against the top sides, but if we could get it right against the weaker sides it could be very effective. This would mean a more defensive player, probably Tainio, playing alongside JJ and Zokora in midfield.

All in all, we will probably win 90% of our games and end up with the title.

Your go!

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few of our fans are a bit miffed that after another season of working wonders Hughes hasn't been backed in the transfer market, spending only £350K on Rigters. I don't go along with that though. If there was someone Hughes desperately wanted then the money would be found. They'd have got him Bellamy if he really wanted him and thought he was worth the fee and wages. A lot of teams have been spending a lot of money on average players. I don't think most of the players moving this summer would get in our team frankly.

I think we're in good shape with plently of strength in depth particularly in central defence and midfield. Ooeijer is fit again and was finding his ffeet in the Prem before he got injured - it'd be totally unfair for Samba to lose his place though after his performances since he signed. Dunn was looking back to his old self towards the end of the season, Mokoena won over all his critics and having Savage and Reid back is *cliche alert* like having two new players. Tugay will probably be used sparingly and feature mainly in our big games.

A striker remains the top target but I'd be happy if we went into the season with what we've got.

GK: Friedel
    DL: Warnock
    DC: Samba
    DC: Nelsen
    DR: Emerton
    ML: Pedersen
    MC: Reid
    MC: Savage
    MR: Bentley
    FC: McCarthy
    FC: ________

The second striking spot is up for grabs. Not much between Rigters, Derbyshire and Roberts for that place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our squad isn’t close to taking shape- we have this ‘wait and see’ policy regarding signings where we wait for other clubs to approach players before we make a move. The result being that some of our top targets are going to our rivals (Jones to Preston, Jarvis to Wolves.) We’ve also failed so far to secure the loan players we had last season, it looks likely Diao and Hendrie will join Premiership clubs. It’s particularly worrying that we haven’t signed Griffin and sorted out John Eustace’s contract yet as both those players clearly want to play for us. We’ve also seen Adam Vass- a Hungarian international viewed as one of the best young prospects we’ve had in years- leave for Brescia because we wouldn’t guarantee him an opportunity.

Before the start of the season we need to sort out a left back, a centre back, two central midfielders and a left sided midfielder at the very least if we want to be taken seriously. An even then the squad would be rather thin. Our one signing so far- Jon Parkin- could be a good one, as long as he gets himself fit we’ll have three decent forwards and hopefully we can bring in a fourth too

I Rule ALL!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    So what do you lads anticipate your team lining up like next season then? Are you likely to see a formation change? Where is your team still looking to improve for the start of the season?

At the moment, Spurs' team will look something like this:

GK: Robinson
    DL: Bale
    DC: King
    DC: Dawson
    DR: Chimbonda
    ML: __________
    MC: Jenas
    MC: Zokora
    MR: Lennon
    FC: Berbatov
    FC: Bent

This is all hypothetical, though. We've just signed Kaboul, for one thing - King is going to miss the start of the season, so he'll be a regular starter and will instantly be given a chance to prove himself worthy of a regular starting place, presumably at Dawson's expense - the pair of them will have to perform to their best, and the weaker of the two will make way for Ledley.

It remains to be seen what happens down our left hand side, also. At the moment, we still don't have a left winger and haven't made any real headway in getting one - so we'll either be stuck playing someone (Lennon, Tainio, Malbranque or Zokora) out of position on the left, or we'll start with Lee at left back (where he ended up playing very well last season) and Bale ahead of him. I think that's a dodgy move though, people have seen Bale's qualities on the ball and assumed he can play up the pitch, but football doesn't work like that - Bridge, Cole and plenty of others have pushed up from full back before and shown that they don't really have the ability to play there.

I think Jenas and Zokora will definitely be our starting midfield provided we don't make any further signings there (it's unlikely that we will), but at the same time I think Jol will really look to play Huddlestone more next season - he started well when given his chance last year but fell away and was eventually dropped towards the end of the season, but with another year of experience under his belt I think he could get a lot of games next season, Jol really rates him - whenever he is questioned about Tottenham's future, he mentions Huddlestone before even established first-teamers like Dawson and Lennon as a player who will have a big impact on our future quality.

And finally up front...well, Christ knows. I think we'll start with Berbatov and Bent. But it could just as easily be Berbatov and Keane. Berby is a definite first choice and Defoe, right now, is definitely not. The other two, I really have no idea.

The other possibility is that we'll play 4-3-3, with Keane and Lennon in the wide positions behind Berbatov up front. We played this a few times last season, mostly against the top sides, but if we could get it right against the weaker sides it could be very effective. This would mean a more defensive player, probably Tainio, playing alongside JJ and Zokora in midfield.

All in all, we will probably win 90% of our games and end up with the title.

Your go!
    I understand that Bent's transfer cost you quite a few, but I don't see how you guys can leave Keane on the bench.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    I understand that Bent's transfer cost you quite a few, but I don't see how you guys can leave Keane on the bench.
    I don't think Bent will necessarily be brought in because he's better than Keane, but because he's different - he works a lot harder both when we're in possession and when we're not in possession, plus he's stronger and quicker. At the same time, he lacks Keane's footballing brain and quality on the ball...I'm unsure myself which I'd prefer, I'd certainly fancy Bent to score more goals and his movement alongside Berbatov's eye for a pass could be great. But on the other hand, the back end of last season showed that Keane and Berbatov are practically unstoppable when they click.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keane and Berbatov are similar a similar type of player, but it works because they're both so hard working. They seem to read each other well too.

I'd compare Bent to Defoe. Quick and knows where the goal is. I still think I'd prefer Defoe to Bent, however.

Simon
    Keane and Berbatov aren't hard working. And Bent and Defoe aren't similar.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keane and Berbatov aren't hard working. And Bent and Defoe aren't similar.
    In the post above mine, you said yourself that Keane was hard working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melv View Post
    In the post above mine, you said yourself that Keane was hard working.
    He said Bent worked harder.

Simon
    Yeah I didn't say Keane was hard working. In fairness he isn't lazy by any means, he just doesn't work his nuts off the way some do. For some reason he's got a reputation for being hard working, probably because once a match he does that mad thing where he starts running after the ball like a maniac wherever it goes, usually waving his arms around all over the place. Defoe works harder than Keane.

Berbatov does less work than any of them, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's just economical with his movement, he's clever enough to know when to chase down a defender and when not to. Maybe that's just picking and choosing who I want to forgive, though.

Loserweight Champion The Comet Kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spurs should be going with Drenthe for the left side of their midfield. I'd want us to go get him but he'd never get a game for us with Giggs, Nani, Anderson, Ronaldo and Park all capable of playing there. But he looks a brilliant prospect, especially since he plays left back aswell and you could have him and Bale overlapping.

We look like we're going to play 2 defensive midfielders 2 wingers a central midfielder and a lone striker next season. Not too sure what I think about that as I've been saying for years we should be playing 4-4-2 and we played it the majority of last season and I think that helped us get the title. But with the players we have for next season we could make it work.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Really not sure what we'll go for next season. I'm guessing it'll vary between:

Cech
    Ferreira
    Terry
    Carvalho
    A.Cole
    Essien
    Ballack
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Sheva
    Drogba

and

Cech
    Ferreira
    Terry
    Carvalho
    A.Cole
    Robben/Malouda
    Essien
    Ballack
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Drogba

However, I expect Mikel to play a bigger part this season also.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't expect any of your new signings to play, then?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dodgy pictures of the anfield have been leaked ahead of the date the plans will be submitted to the council (24th July). Looks absolutely mad:

Really don't know what to make of it

68,000 capacity, with a 20,000 seater Kop (compared to it's current 12,000), and room for expansion of the stadium to a capacity of nearly 80,000.

4 unique stands (which i quite like, i hate all these 'bowl' type stadiums), and an away end similar to the smaller end at Porto's Drago Stadium. The Kop is the centre stage with a glass roof, and all stands sweeping away from it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Melv View Post
    You don't expect any of your new signings to play, then?
    Other than Malouda, no. I'm sure that all 4 (Ben Haim, Alex, Pizarro and Sidwell) know that they have been brought in as backup.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see Pizarro at least getting a run in the team unless Shevchenko gets his arse in gear. That's possibly why Pizarro was signed, thinking about it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Perhaps, but if Sheva was that poor then I imagine we'd revert to 5 in midfield with wingers and Drog on his own up front.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    However, I expect Mikel to play a bigger part this season also.
    Definitely agree with that, I think he'll be your holding player ahead of Makelele next year - he really grew into that role towards the end of last season and looked very solid, although he obviously doesn't have the discipline of Makelele just yet. I thought he looked very dodgy at first and £16m looked a joke regardless of the way that fee came about, but he looks a serious prospect now.

Melv, none of Chelsea's players have been bought to be first-choice players. And Alex hasn't even signed yet, has he?

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing turn of events today. The fans of our anticipated opponents Legia Warsaw may have got them kicked out of the Intertoto Cup.

There's bad blood between the Poles and Lithuanians and Warsaw's Ultras invaded the pitch at half-time in Vilnius and kicked off with the police. The game was abandoned.

Looks like we'll be playing FC Vektra who are perceived to be a lot weaker than Legia but were actually winning 2-0 at the time. A lot of our fans are in the shit now because they've booked flights to Poland to get them cheaper than they would have been when the tie was confirmed.

Vid of the incident:

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=B7GFFr-galA

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    gk
    steven bywater

dr
    tye mears

dl
    jay mcevely

dc
    dean leacock
    claude davies

mr
    giles barnes

ml
    steve pearson

mc
    matty oakley
    david jones

sc
    steve howard
    robert earnshaw

granted i dont think well push for europe like reading and wigan etc

but in barnes,jones and pearson we have 3 players who could really shine

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

granted i dont think well push for europe like reading and wigan etc
    Thanks for sorting that one out for us.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    thanks for being a sarcastic cunt

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice little quote from Man Utd who are frustrated at the Tevez deal being held up by the Premier League and West Ham's less than transparent dealings with his contract.

"It is nonsense for West Ham to state they own the player.

If I lend you my car and you rip up the log book, that does not mean you then own the car."

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    actually a very good analysis

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    actually a very good analysis
    analogy.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    yeh analogy thats what i said

Simon
    Liverpool have bid for Babel.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our line up next year (presumed) is one which I think would keep us up;

Doyle

Saddler
    Talyor
    Schmitz
    Kelly

McSheffery
    Kapo
    Muamba
    De Ridder

O'Connor
    Jerome

Very young side that will only improve and with the likes of Parnaby, Jahidi, Larrson, DJ Campbell, Vine and FORSELL (remember him? watch the latter part of this season, he'll be back to his best) we've got healthy competition for places too.

Also, with the 3 Goalkeepers of Doyle, Maik Taylo and Kingosn we've got some of the best initial and cover keepers in the division.

Need to choose a new captain though.

DJ but he's not the man for the captain's armband in the Premier League. I'd give it to Muamba.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Our line up next year (presumed) is one which I think would keep us up;
    Don't want to piss on your chips but I see about 3 players in that team who are Premiership footballers.

Simon
    Five by my count...Doyle looks a quality young keeper, McSheffrey has always impressed me and could succeed, Muamba has a big future and Kapo seems to be highly rated, plus De Ridder looks half-decent too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the moment, I genuinely have no idea whatsoever what out starting 11 will be.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da_man View Post
    Don't want to piss on your chips but I see about 3 players in that team who are Premiership footballers.
    Five by my count...Doyle looks a quality young keeper, McSheffrey has always impressed me and could succeed, Muamba has a big future and Kapo seems to be highly rated, plus De Ridder looks half-decent too.
    Add to that Schmitz who has played and impressed in the Champions League and French League, Kingson who recieved widespread applause for his performnaces for Ghana in the 2006 World Cup, Kelly who I'm surprised you guys let go Simon and (when fit) Forsell.

The rest might not be yet but could grow to be e.g Larsson, DJ Campbell, and Jerome or still useful squad players.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can both fuck right off for not mentioning maik taylor.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's still a stunning keeper but his refexes are not what they were.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's premiership class though. Maybe not 1st choice but he is a hell of a backup. I still think you guys will be down around the bottom. I place ourselves around there obviously as well I think we have as much a chance of staying up as both you and sunderland. The thing is i think we both have a lot less pressure on us to get results than sunderland which could work in our favour. We could do with wigan/boro/bolton getting off to stinkers i think.Possibly city as well

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fulham.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i think they will be in a bit of bother. Sanchez did so much with Us over here i think he will be a tough customer in a relegation battle. Only thing is Fayed is such a cunt he would probably sack him close to the end of the season.

The signings so far (if they get kamara and healy) will in my eyes have transformed that team. They will still find it hard going but if the two strikers get going they might have enough goals to sort themselves out. Tough call. Boro has Yakubu and Tuncay I know and that again might be there saving grace. If bolton lose anelka they are fucked in my humble opinion.

Cant see wigan acheiving much if anything.

City could well go all shit. Not inconceivable they could end up in west ham size hole.

Reading could suffer having lost sidwell? They play the right sort of football that i think they will prob be okay.

The thing that worries me and im sure you is that both of us will have to change footballing styles a bit to get results here and that means adapation to a new style or format which can be a big fucking hole into your season.

We have a lot of scope in our squad but still think we need strengthing going forward. Wouldnt be overly suprised to see some of our much fabled youth prospects in and around the squad

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needing to adapt our style is probably the reason why I'd say that ourselves and Sunderland have the upperhand as we've both played in the Premier League very recently.

It is possible to survive and even flourish in the first season in the top division after a while (Ipswich and Wigan being the best examples) but most of the time it's very difficult after a long lay-off.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye but it might be a case of the right style for the Championship wrong style for the premiership. I think we will be playing more ground stuff like we did against colchester etc. Think we have players capable of that but our squad was built around scrapping out of the division and our football the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We wont go down this year. Keane and Quinn wouldnt let it happen.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    unless they fall out again and keano gets the boot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keano is here for the long haul. Cant imagine the club or the fans falling out with him for quite a while.