Results 107,801 to 107,835 of 107835

Thread: ***Official*** English Football Discussion Thread

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Honestly football atmospheres are quiet most of the time when there's not big flashpoints anyway. I personally enjoyed PSG vs Dortmund a whole lot.

It's got so sanitized in stadiums and is so expensive there's not that much chanting most of the time anyway. When you're there yeah its class but if you're watching on IFollow or similar it's quiet enough most of the time.

Football with no crowd < Football with a crowd
    Football with no crowd > No Football

I'm low key glad euros have moved because i was going to have to miss the game ive got tickets for due to birth of bambino #3 anyway

Prediction : Sound will be piped in for behind closed doors. Using an app or something for fans. It will be awful
    That's because your fans are fucking shit mate.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha I meant on tv you scamp if im watching Burnley vs Bournemouth the crowds not doing much for me tbh

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watch games with small/almost no crowds most weeks with womens football, its OK but takes some getting used to.

That said I am in no rush for football to come back. It should be one of the last things to return to normal.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of comments on the things that have come out

- It's clear we'll see a Sheffield United + Tevez amount of aggro from whoever goes down this year. The idea of nulling the season and denying promotion seems mad. The idea of having 23 teams in the league next year sounds even worse. God knows how they think they'll work that with european cups etc. Brighton are setting their stall out already about losing home advantage which just sounds odd
    - Thought of playing football in Perth or Iceland or wherever is pretty interesting. If they went soon they could quarantine as groups for weeks in hotels

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an impossible task isn't it, because the 29 games played already are different for everybody. I was reading one of the struggling teams had 2-3 of the traditional "top 6" at home still to play (might have been Brighton, actually), how do you take at least a fraction of that homefield advantage off the table when the other teams have had a full stadium of fans to cheer the boys on against said teams? Neutral isn't neutral when it's universally accepted that a buoyant homefield advantage increases a team's chances of winning, and 10 teams will play 1 less game at home if the season gets finished compared to the other 10 teams. For me, you have to void the leagues. The logistics of taking players from sitting on the sofa for 3 months and playing a condensed 9 match schedule through the peak of British summertime in front of no fans just doesn't work. Why not wait until August, get the players a pre-season in, none of the contract ambiguity, and stick to that schedule. At a push, come back 3 weeks earlier and promote Leeds and West Brom to make a 22 team league, with Sky and BT getting sorted out with a 3pm game every week considering the lack of fans in the stadiums to sort those contracts out. Give Liverpool the league if they want, they've earned it, though part of me would find it the peak of comedy to rob them of it.

One of the things for me is that the Champions League just can't happen next year. Forget about that, so the current top 4 and deciding that is irrelevant. Just extend the TV contracts by a year and forget about it for a year. Put more league games on in midweek considering it will be a 42 game season. Get rid of the League Cup unless the prize money goes up, as without the live gates they are just completely irrelevant for the lower teams now. 4 relegated, 2 promoted (league winner and a now 8 team playoff format), then hopefully back to normal for 21/22. Forget about fans next year, but all lower league teams should be allowed the infrastructure to stream their games online for a subscription fee - obviously not quite the same financially as the money through the turnstiles, but it would help, and maybe wouldn't be all bad as maybe a part timer would happily pay 10 a month to watch 7-8 games of their local team but would only go and see them live once a season because there's little value for money. Less security, less maintenance, etc. The goal of the next year should be to protecting the long term viability of our football teams, not about who wins what during the period.

Inter Milandy
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see four PL doctors have raised concerns and apparently asked how they can approve something where there is a legitimate and proven risk of death. Equally how can players be forced to play, there would be justifiable contract disputes if they are forced, nevermind ethical and even human rights issues.

It seems mad that the champions league will be possible this year. If it was me I’d call off all European competition until season 21/22. I’d also call off all domestic seasons for 20/21. Commit to finishing the leagues which have already been started, however long it takes. Realistically in this country it’s not going to be until the end of the year at the earliest but it does seem possible that it could be done ahead of May next year, in time for the Euros. If things are better than expected and that leaves a big space, do a UK tournament or something. Every club at every level. Something different.

None of that is ideal of course, but the idea of playing in another country, quarantining players for months, playing European football this year, all of that just seems mad and dangerous.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    You don't think they'll get this season done until the end of the year at the earliest? I really question that. They want it done ASAP and the tide seems to be changing in that regard. Bundesliga back up and running next week. PL aiming to follow 4 weeks later so they can get the CL going again in August. Talk in the Telegraph of Brighton and other dissenters being threatened with points deductions today. I'm not sure what happens with players whose contracts are due to end in July - seems to be mixed reports on that. Obviously this could all fall apart at any stage but they appear determined to push ahead with it. That supposed anonymous footballer on football365 reckons they'll keep moving the goalposts so that people even come around to crowds in stadiums being okay before too long. I don't agree with any of this by the way, it's crazy - it's just what I'm seeing.

This all extends to Batter's points on no CL or fans even next year as well. I just question whether those with real power and influence will allow that to happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germany has had a handle on this thing, the UK hasn't. I don't think it's right to assume we're on that trajectory when we've failed substantially compared to them. Not that I don't think they will, but as you say, it's crazy. This little cockteasing at the minute with the "mights" and the red top reporting of the "joy" of the impending lifting of restrictions is insane.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football! Lads, football! Live football!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52581366

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Germany has had a handle on this thing, the UK hasn't. I don't think it's right to assume we're on that trajectory when we've failed substantially compared to them. Not that I don't think they will, but as you say, it's crazy. This little cockteasing at the minute with the "mights" and the red top reporting of the "joy" of the impending lifting of restrictions is insane.
    We have had players from Germany, Italy and Spain who have gone back to training contracting Covid 19 already.

It's absolutely wrong.

Inter Milandy
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it all seems too soon anyway. Never mind for a country who thinks it’s appropriate to do a conga to remember their war dead during a lockdown. The UK is a long long way from having this under control enough for doctors to risk everything to sign off on it going ahead.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it's becoming more and more of a possibility that the season will be cancelled.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a collection of old games online anywhere? I have been watching old World Cup games on the FIFA YouTube channel but wouldn't mind watching some old Premier League games too. Preferably from like 2000-2010 since I didn't start following until 2010.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    https://footballia.net/

This site appears to have just about everything I could imagine you might want to watch. Albeit not necessarily in the best quality or with English commentary.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Is there a collection of old games online anywhere? I have been watching old World Cup games on the FIFA YouTube channel but wouldn't mind watching some old Premier League games too. Preferably from like 2000-2010 since I didn't start following until 2010.
    With no live football at the moment, the UK's main highlights show Match of the Day is showing highlights of classic games.from the PL era, I'd be happy to put them on my Google Drive if you are interested. It spans the entire PL era back to 92 but it's been great so far, covering loads of great games.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    With no live football at the moment, the UK's main highlights show Match of the Day is showing highlights of classic games.from the PL era, I'd be happy to put them on my Google Drive if you are interested. It spans the entire PL era back to 92 but it's been great so far, covering loads of great games.
    That sounds awesome and is basically what I was looking for. But I am a luddite with Google Drive/sharing files online so I would hate for you to go to the effort and have it not work. But if you don't mind trying one or two, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spain
    Always liked Harry Kane.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    That sounds awesome and is basically what I was looking for. But I am a luddite with Google Drive/sharing files online so I would hate for you to go to the effort and have it not work. But if you don't mind trying one or two, I would greatly appreciate it.
    No problem at all, in fact it made me realise that I'd probably quite like to have the highlight shows archived anyway. I'll put a link in here once they are uploaded!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    ITV Hub showing all Euro 96 games (released daily), with England's matches being shown on ITV 4.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    @_,me

This folder contains all the episodes of Match of Their Day that have been shown so far, let me know if you're not able to download them

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zB...hQW8Z7D5hrIXgv

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I've not really had the time, but those Match of Their Day shows and the countdown episodes they've done have been class. I've seen a couple.

I've also really enjoyed the World Cup Rewind shows they've been showing on Saturdays.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665426

I got 102. Happy with that.

Somehow managed to not read one of the clues I would have got, but meh.

I was better with the older players from years ago.
    Last edited by Murphy; May 15th, 2020 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    You scored 129 - more silverware than Ryan Giggs!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @_,me

This folder contains all the episodes of Match of Their Day that have been shown so far, let me know if you're not able to download them

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zB...hQW8Z7D5hrIXgv
    It worked perfectly. I was afraid I had to create an account to do it. Thanks again for sharing. I will be watching them today to get my weekend football fix.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    No problem - there will be another one on tonight, so I can put it up tomorrow most likely.

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Accy View Post
    ITV Hub showing all Euro 96 games (released daily), with England's matches being shown on ITV 4.
    My god I loved Euro 96. What a great time to be a football fan.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It worked perfectly. I was afraid I had to create an account to do it. Thanks again for sharing. I will be watching them today to get my weekend football fix.
    Bundesliga is back on today too bud

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Bundesliga is back on today too bud
    I tried watching Bundesliga before the quarantine but couldn't really get into it. I will try again but I just don't know anything about it so it doesn't "click"

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I quite enjoyed Dortmund and Schalke, despite it being one-sided. 4 excellent goals.

Only going to bother if it looks a good game on paper though. I wasn't going to sit there and watch Bayern and Union Berlin yesterday. I'm not that desperate.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    @_me did you download those Match of the Day shows? If you enjoyed them there have been other ones broadcast since that I can put up for you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @_me did you download those Match of the Day shows? If you enjoyed them there have been other ones broadcast since that I can put up for you.
    Yes. They worked great. They were awesome; as someone from the US, it is all stuff I had never seen. I would love it if you wanted to share some more.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the fact that every goal of the season contest on MOTD seems to have about half the goals being score against us.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Yes. They worked great. They were awesome; as someone from the US, it is all stuff I had never seen. I would love it if you wanted to share some more.
    Latest one here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sHE...ew?usp=sharing

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Got my plans for tomorrow now. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    No worries, there will be another one tonight as well