User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: "Mr. Partridge, that’s the kitchens!"

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 sleep left you blonde bastard. From the future.

Stop getting bond wrong!

Simon
    Alan Partridge sent the following email to all BBC employees this morning:

...and anyone who responded to it got this auto-reply:

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliance

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 100% changing my auto reply to that and leaving it on permanently

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really enjoyed this. Once he was doing features and interviews, it really got into a groove and the one liners and facial expressions were coming thick and fast. Loved the Coca Cholera line and the hygiene/hi jean bit. His confused reaction when the shandy woman said “You’re welcome” was perfect. I see some people on social media weren’t impressed or found it too awkward - I thought it started that way deliberately because he didn’t want to mess up his return to the BBC. Maybe it was a little cringe heavy in the first few minutes, but it quickly settled and I didn’t want it to end. I thought it was hilarious. Great to have Partridge back on TV again.

Loved his bemusement at North Norfolk Digital’s finances being hacked because the accounts tend to be done in an exercise book. And when he asked if handling raw meat was a euphemism.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Alice Clunt.

Actually it's Alice Fluck.

I see what I've done there.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd forgot it was on, saw the initial feedback on twitter and feared the worst.

Within seconds I was smiling from ear to ear, it was so fucking good.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The navigation of accessing and using a train toilet without using hands was exceptional.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahahahahahaha

Back in the big time!

Simon
    I was slightly disappointed by it, but I think that was more about my insanely high expectations than anything else. The first couple of minutes I was very worried as it seemed to be very broad and silly, with Coogan hamming up for the camera a bit too much, but either the show or I settled down after that and there were loads of great moments. The whole Sidekick Simon thing was great, the hygiene segment was fantastic, the extended no-hands-toilet thing was ridiculously good...I didn't really feel like the off-camera segments worked as well, and the Lynn stuff had a really weird feel to it, with no humour and her appearing so far off-screen that it felt like they were trying to hide the fact it wasn't really Lynn. But way more good than bad, and I reckon given a bit of distance the people who weren't high on it will like it more.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yeah I was the same but I think high expectations was probably the main reason. I remember feeling the same way about Scissored Isle when it came out but I watched it again the other day and there's loads of great moments.

Simon
    Oh one thing I remembered thinking at the time - the title sequence, which didn't feature Alan at all, is blatantly going to gradually feature more Alan as the show goes on, isn't it

The Rosk
    Enjoyed it again last night. There are a good few belly laughs, and the final few minutes were fantastic. Still a few bits here and there that don't quite hit, but it's still fantastic. This character will never die.

... the son of the Head of Factual Programming.

The guy falling off the end of the bench in the audience.

Partridge for no reason getting into character on the battlefield.

Lots of little tiny bits that were just snort laughter.

Never really seen much like this before and I do like it. After watching the first episode back again in advance, it's definitely one of those you can watch again and enjoy it more IMO.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the last few minutes in particular, very funny

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it was great. They pack an awful lot of jokes and facial expressions into 30 minutes and I think it takes a rewatch to process it all. Stuff that really made me laugh:

His voice becoming strained outside the old BBC building as he was turning his head to keep up with the moving camera.

Thinking that he was going to offer the second after eight to the woman on the other side of him, only for him to look at her and say “Hey” whilst putting it in his pocket.

Alan getting carried away by the idea of the twitter map showing enemy bombings. “Oh my god there’s 50,000 KIDS THERE!!!”.

The tweet Alan read about how John abused someone in the vein of Patrick Swayze from Ghost. “It started off as a vase, but by the time he’d finished fondling me it was just a very wide ashtray.”

The history scene was excellent. I loved the random shot of him walking quickly in the forest during his narration. And the peasant shouting “I’ve got kids” before Alan stabs him.

I really liked the conversation with Lynn. Reminiscent of their banter in I’m Alan Partridge, whereas I thought her appearance last week was a bit odd and felt shoehorned in.

Simon
    I wasn't totally convinced by the first couple of episodes - definitely good, but they felt like a big step down from Mid Morning Matters and the documentaries. But fuck me last night's episode was brilliant. Absolutely packed with great stuff right up to the last couple of minutes which were a bit shit. It's not often I end up in pain from laughing but it happened twice last night, first with the CGI face of a young Alan, and then when he showed the optimum technique for corporal punishment. So, so fucking good lads. Already can't wait to watch it again and see if there's anything I missed, or didn't appreciate as much as I should have because something else came along straight away. Tiny little moments like the receptionist giving him a shitty look in the titles...amazing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you catch it where he morphed from regular Partridge to schoolboy Partridge and you could see his old self step back from the pillar in the double shot while schoolboy Partridge was still in shot?

Simon
    Ahahaha yes brilliant. A few people have moaned about bits like that being unrealistic, and I kind of understand that to a point - poor editing jobs and basic errors making the edit make more sense when they're supposedly done by Alan's production company on a small budget rather than a mainstream BBC show - but if the alternative is missing out on silly stuff like that I'm happy for it to be unrealistic.

I've found it quite interesting how different opinions have been of the series so far, there doesn't seem to be much consensus at all - some people think it's great, something it's a massive misfire, and there is no agreement whatsoever about which episode has been best. For me the most recent one was the best by an absolute mile, but I've seen a lot of people - hardcore Partridge fans - who thought the first and second episodes were much better. I guess because there's so much going on, and such different styles of comedy, that each episode is offering something completely different.

Loved the reveal of what was on Alan's camera roll. Arty photos of pregnant women, a crime sketch of Michael the Geordie and pictures of Edmonds

The Rosk
    I didn’t even realise that there was a crime sketch of Michael. Fucking hell.

Simon
    To be fair the only reason I clocked it was because it's in the pictures section of the Nomad book.

Simon
    Rewatched the third episode last night, fuck me there is so much good stuff in there. The co-presenter is great in the straight role - when Alan makes his comment about Scottish people making good workers, she has a look of sheer terror for literally half a second before she composes herself, it's so good.

Also an amazing line that sounded like it had come from Brass Eye - Alan explaining that bees die when they sting because the action leads the bee to "pull its own arse off'".

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode. I know it's probably one of the least sophisticated jokes on the show, but I will never tire of Simon Denton failing to get photos to show on the big screen. Loved seeing Alan get the upper hand on Ruth. When he started out saying that there were no hard feelings, the way she slowly blinked out of pure hatred for him was perfect.

Simon you were absolutely on the money about the show's title sequence gradually having more shots of Alan over time. The slow motion shot of him jumping is superb, as is the receptionist sneering at him as he enters the building. I can only hope they're going to have the return of Michael now that they've used his photo from Nomad.

Fair enough if people don't find this as good as some of the other shows. For me, the first series of I'm Alan Partridge is a perfect comedy that has yet to be surpassed. But I'm staggered by people on twitter saying that this show is shite and unfunny. Especially when they add the qualifier that they love Partridge. I don't get what makes this show so unappealing or different in comparison to his other stuff. It's definitely a very densely packed format and it takes at least one rewatch to notice things or for certain lines or facial expressions to really land. But I think it's been fantastic. Episode 2 just about edges out episode 3 as my favourite so far.

Simon
    Sorry Chris, I missed your reply before - the title sequence is incredible isn't it, the reception's face

And speaking of incredible...that lookalike. The song. Fucking hell.

Oh also, a little easter egg for anyone who hasn't read the autobiographies - the cleaner that he referred to in last night's episode who is undergoing chemo is Sonja.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With conviction!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved his shot at Carol last night - just talking over Jennie to say “Really nasty woman”.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binge-watched the series last night and it was so so good.

My stand out moment was Alan trying to entrap Monty Don into confessing to product placement. The slow morion when Monty says "Yeah", "A billion pounds?" then the car park exchange at the end, "I have a dentist appointment!"

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Come at me like a bitch and don't be surprised if I mount you".

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Ooh very curvy stripes! Like she's been squeezed out of a giant tube of Colgate lady paste!"

The last few minutes are especially brilliant. "Eat moss!" "I'm pretty sure you can eat moss!" "And Bear Grylls has just textedto say a woman cannot eat moss! Good night!"

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last nights episode may have been the best 30 minutes of Partridge cannon in history, and I don't say that lightly.

"You plant knives on black boys"

The whole dress set piece. The dictator bit, the whole police scene ending in the shower, the phone in. It was just one incredible line after another. I cant believe how good it was.

I've loved the whole series - particularly the last three episodes (come on out you black and tans being played on BBC 1 at prime time fucking hell)

It worked so well from me because it took all the best parts of partridge and packaged them into a show.

The banal chat and conversations with Lynne from IAP
    The interviews and wierd magazine segments from KMKY
    The docu packaged from Scissored Isle
    The sidekick simon stuff from MMM

That last episode was just perfect through.
    Last edited by Slare; April 2nd, 2019 at 4:48 AM.
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a farmers/Peter Baxendale Thomas feel to the last episode which made it even better.

Also was wondering what they were going to do with Alan/Jennie since it was quite obvuous he fancied her and they did not disappoint. "I'll just get another prescription!"

Simon
    God that was brilliant. So many fantastic moments, a great way to end the series. Love that it's been left open-ended as well, IMO there is definitely reason to consider another series of This Time in the future - maybe an outside possibility that, as good as this series was, it was just setting a believable scene for Alan to be back on the BBC with his own show? I mean, regardless of his underhand shit at the start of the episode, it was Jennie who was unprofessional in just fucking off as the show was about to start, and Alan did a reasonable job of filling in under difficult circumstances so maybe that's an angle for a second series with him in control?

I know the whole point of Partridge is that he gets himself into these horrible situations, but I really love the moments where he actually gets on board with a concept and engages with it properly - the way he got into the fashion bit last night, picking up on the expert's campness, was so funny, and was reminiscent of how quickly he took to working on the tills in Tesco.

I could say a million other things that I loved about that episode, but Tim Key's facial reactions are just incredible.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still laughing about the shower scene just incredible

I am going to have to re-watch the entire series when I have the chance. I have a feeling they will get funnier each time I watch them. Hope they have another series with Michael in this time

Little things like telling all the women dog campaigners to 'get out of the fucking way'

Simon
    "Let's come over and meet at the lady" fuck sake

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    I am still laughing about the shower scene just incredible

I am going to have to re-watch the entire series when I have the chance. I have a feeling they will get funnier each time I watch them. Hope they have another series with Michael in this time

Little things like telling all the women dog campaigners to 'get out of the fucking way'
    Yes Michael in the next series please, even if he's been arrested and it's a cameo from jail.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a good Empire podcast special about Partridge where the Gibbons brothers were interviewed. They didn't confirm or deny whether Michael would appear in this series, but acknowledged that it was more difficult giving a reason for him to show up compared to someone like Lynn. They're shooting another show for the BBC in May which is not a continuation of This Time, but I hope it comes back as well.

Episode 2 was my favourite until last night. That was outstanding from start to finish.

- The deliciously condescending way Alan said "I'm sorry about Jennie everybody. She has a brain disease!".

- Alan deploying an SAS anti-interrogation technique of repeating his name and address, but mixing them up as he became more tired.

- When Alan stands up to walk over to a feature and Simon starts to follow him, he stops mid-sentence to give a deep "Nooooo".

- "Mogadishu, Mogadishu, we all fall down". That one really had me laughing.

- The moss bit being picked up again at the very end of the show reminded me of the Dr Hook line from the KMKY Christmas Special.

It's been amazing to have a weekly Alan show again. I hope this is just the beginning of a lengthy run on the BBC. It's obvious that Coogan has a great relationship with the Gibbons brothers and the different formats probably keeps the character fresh and challenging for him. Even if IAP Series 1 probably remains my absolute favourite part of the "franchise", this was Coogan at the peak of his powers. A tour-de-force performance, with meticulous detail to the slightest look, gesture or tone of voice. Susannah Fielding was also fantastic throughout.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last episode was just tremendous all the way through.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There's a good Empire podcast special about Partridge where the Gibbons brothers were interviewed. They didn't confirm or deny whether Michael would appear in this series, but acknowledged that it was more difficult giving a reason for him to show up compared to someone like Lynn. They're shooting another show for the BBC in May which is not a continuation of This Time, but I hope it comes back as well.
    Sidekick Simon is all loved up with Lucy then Michael fills in as guest host one week maybe?

I wish turdpower was still around to comment.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coogan was interviewed by Esquire a few days ago and revealed that there’s EIGHTEEN episodes of a Partridge podcast coming next month. Fucking hell thats amazing. And This Time will get a second series. Love that he’s so invigorated by the character and doesn’t seem close to giving it up.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/f...lan-partridge/

What's next for Alan Partridge?

We've just done a podcast. That's out next month, 18 episodes, that's all done. I'm excited about it, it's different: very personal, myopic. There's that, and then we're going to do another This Time and eventually we'll do a documentary series. Quite what form that takes I don't know, but there'll be documentary inserts in [This Time] and we might be a bit more adventurous with that. We always have to take a breather between each Alan thing, even though it's a gift that keeps on giving. It's kind of so [much] part of me now, I wouldn't not want to do it, but I like the balance of doing other things. I'm doing a movie this year – we're shooting a movie in June and July that I wrote, about the woman who found the body of Richard III in a car park. I can't tell you too much more about it, but that's definitely happening, and a bunch of other stuff that's in development. I'm writing a series with Sarah Solemani about sexual politics [Chivalry, for Channel 4]. So I'm doing stuff I'm really interested in, but I'll always come back and do more Alan.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Full series released today on Audible apparently

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking legend. Thank you!

Simon

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Episode Two is great

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Well it's all incredible tbh.

This Time had it's moments but sometimes the tone didn't quite work for me. He's in his element here. It's brilliant.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing work Simon, thanks.

This has come at the perfect time with my work commute building up again.

Coogan said on Empire last week that he's working on This Time series 2 and a Channel 4 show.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    https://www.nme.com/features/alan-pa...thouse-2747268

“As an ice breaker, as we sit down to dinner, I might say, if it’s a very ornate place, ‘Who designed this place? Genghis Khan?’ Or if it’s austere, ‘Who designed this place? Oliver Cromwell? It does rely on a little bit of general knowledge. If I sense she doesn’t know that Oliver Cromwell was a puritan – it happens – I’ll instead say, ‘Who designed this place? Stevie Wonder?’ The only time it went wrong was when the woman said, ‘Why?’ I said, ‘Because it looks horrible’. She said, ‘What, you think Black people are shit architects?’ I said, ‘No, um, no, obviously not. Not Black people, blind people. I love Black architects!’ She said, ‘Name one Black architect’. I panicked and I just said, ‘I’m not obliged to answer any of your questions…’ which soured the evening. She made her excuses and left. Saved a few bob on desert.”
    “One of the little-known things about me, is that I like to give a little bit back. I work in a soup kitchen on Christmas Day, filling hungry bums with hot food. It isn’t just nourishing for the tummies of the homeless, it’s nourishing for the soul of me too. More than anything, it’s not about the extra food, it’s about the banter. I love the banter. They might say to me, ‘what are you doing here on Christmas Day, Partridge? Don’t you have any mates?’ and quick as a flash I’ll reply, ‘What are you doing here on Christmas Day, don’t you have a house?’ Or they might say, ‘Hurry up, this soup is as lukewarm as your career!’ and I’ll reply, quick as a flash, ‘Don’t you have a house?’”

This thing is just chock full of great Alan lines

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil

Simon
    He has released a statement. It's great.

A STATEMENT.

Although this is completely unauthorised, having taken counsel, I am happy that the statue's attitude and stance are correct.

If the people of Norwich and surrounding areas want to memorialise me in sculpture, then as long as it is rendered in alpha brass with a low zinc content and not, say, a duplex brass, I grant my consent and will instruct my legal team to resheathe their daggers.

I was further concerned the statue would be a compound resin with gold paint applied. These fears have also been allayed.

If my statue can in some way act as an Ambassador for Brass, and encourage just ten children to take up a brass instrument, it will be an upbeat ending to an otherwise dreadful year.

Thank you.

STATEMENT ENDS.

Alan Partridge
    DBNR
    Has anyone listened to the podcast? It's so good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Aye it's brilliant

Simon
    This Time with Alan Partridge series 2 starts April 30th!

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely stuff.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t expect it back so soon. Incredible news.

From the Oasthouse is so bloody good. I love the episode where he goes to Lynn’s house to get his boat show accreditation.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant.

Where can I get From The Oasthouse without paying for it?

Simon
    https://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews...gant_sideboard

For the uninitiated, what can you tell us about This Time?

It’s what’s known as a magazine show, bottling all of the magic of magazine reading and translating that into 30 minutes of TV. Some people sneer at magazines. But imagine a world without magazines, with readers having to make do with books, newspapers and letters. A chilling prospect. This Time manages to be all your favourite magazines rolled into one. As informative as the Reader’s Digest, as sassy as Bunty, as entertaining as Private Eye pre-Hislop, as debonaire as Conde Nast Traveler, as fair-minded as The Spectator. Our goal? To deliver telly people talk about - what BBC execs still refer to as water cooler TV, even when you point out everyone works from home these days so office water coolers are just stagnant receptacles going mouldy round the nozzle.

What kind of subjects does the show cover?

What doesn’t it cover!

But what does it cover?

Well, we’ll cover current affairs, hot button topics, global issues, everyday niggles, some very light politics - pitched at or below GCSE level - all held together with good old-fashioned chat, which by the way is baked into the format. We underfill the show by about 30 per cent to allow for nattering. So over the half hour, expect around 20 minutes of content. And the rest of it is left slack to keep the show fresh.

Describe a typical day working on the show.

I like to arrive at the BBC early. I often bring in a box of doughnuts for the team and say ‘dig in’ while I stand beside the box to ensure no one takes more than their allocated one. It’s a shame I need to police it, but this is the modern BBC for you. The editorial meeting will discuss items we can cover in future episodes. It’s all fairly workaday so I like to hurl in more daring ideas - often just semi-thoughts like ‘zero gravity?’ or ‘live from Broadmoor?’ - and yes, 99.9 per cent of them will be quite rightly discarded. But it’s that 0.1 per cent that could one day scoop us a nomination for a National Television Award.

At lunch, I’ll grab a sandwich and go and look down into the atrium occupied by BBC News to see if I can see them ready the One O’Clock News, while my co-presenter Jennie [Gresham] spends time with her phone.

After lunch, another meeting, this one running through that evening’s show. I tend to tune out of this one. It is possible to over-prepare for a show, and render it stale. Instead, I prefer to experience parts of the show as a viewer would - which means sometimes I won’t really know who a guest is until they come on, or what Jennie’s report is about or why the man in my earpiece is saying I have to walk to the other side of the studio.

And then it’s all about getting ready for the show. I’ll sit in hair and make up for half an hour and then retire to my dressing room to instantly redo my hair, unmaking all the mistakes the hair stylist wouldn’t have made if she’d been listening. Then I dress, do 10 push-ups, finish the doughnuts if there are any doughnuts left, and wait for the show to start.

Do you have any input on the stories you feature in the show?

Under the producership of our producer Philip, it’s a green light, open door, free-for-all. Got an idea? Pitch it. Doesn’t have to be a topic to be covered in the show. I might go to him and say, the lighting guy isn’t very good, lose him. Or I think Jennie needs to wear more blusher. Philip is the Biddy Baxter of This Time, a producer who’s helmed the show since its inception. Sadly he’s leaving because he’s got a younger girlfriend and she wants to go travelling. But we’ll certainly miss him. He’s wonderfully hands-off which means he’ll leave you to write your own autocue or deliver video packages without always running them by him. And while things might change under the new producer whoever he (or she!!!!) is, they might not.

What’s it like presenting alongside such a popular presenter as Jennie Gresham?

A keen tennis player and childless, Jennie likes nothing more than catching up on the soaps, reading the Guardian newspaper or shopping for the latest iPads. She’s modern, sassy and wants it all! It’s fair to say we approach our roles as co-anchors slightly differently. One of us can be seen presenting umpteen other BBC shows from Walking the Lakes with Jennie Gresham to The Unexplored Brontes with Jennie Gresham to Inside John Lewis with Jennie Gresham to Jennie Gresham’s NHS Heroes. The other one prefers to dedicate him- or herself exclusively to This Time because he/she happens to think the show and our viewers deserve that, but each to their own.

How would you describe your working relationship?

We’ve had our ups and downs - it’s like a marriage. Very like a marriage in that we sit next to each on a sofa, we don’t face each other when we talk and there’s no sex or suggestion of sex. Are we friends? Well, are Ant and Dec friends? Are Holly and Phil? Are Richard and Judy. No, of course not. But we dovetail, at least I do.

And the rest of the team?

Roving reporter Ruth Duggan is a hugely popular member of the team, her charismatic smile redolent of public figures such as Priti Patel. Off-air she has a tendency to mutter but on air she’s clear and informative. Yes, I like Ruth very much. Are we bosom buddies? No. She’d probably mutter that ‘bosom buddies’ is sexist and no better than saying ‘mammary mates’ or ‘chest chums’. But that’s part of her wonderfully dry sense of humour. Yes, I like Ruth very much.

Simon Denton is our social media man. His role has slightly expanded, as has he due to inactivity during lockdown. He’s keen to take on more of a presenting brief, but that’s something we can revisit at the back end of next year or the first half of 2023. And talk about funny! From puns to quips to voices (he now has ten voices) to wry sideways looks at things, this guy comedically has it all and provides some welcome light relief, particularly after Ruth’s been on.

And then there’s crew who I won’t name. They’re broadly fine.

As for me, I’m just an old codger who potters in his garden and happens to be good at advanced driving.

How has the show continued amid the Covid pandemic?

We’ve coped manfully and womanfully. We even have a studio audience for every show. They have to socially distance when the camera is on them but out of shot they can do what they like. For the crew though, it’s a different story. Temperature tests on entry, no sharing water bottles, compulsory masks and of course regular testing which I’ve not enjoyed. I’ve had an overactive gag reflex ever since a drinking game I was made to play on a stag do. This makes Covid testing an ordeal. I’ve had to develop a routine to stave off panic. I numb the throat with an anaesthetic spray, eliminating as much sensation as possible. With my tonsils deadened, I blindfold myself, put on a loud piece of music, open my mouth and count to 500. The Covid tester has until then to sneak in, swab, and leave. If they’re not heavily odoured, I can get to 500 without even knowing I’d been tested. It’s a rigmarole, but it works.

This Time saw you return to presenting on the BBC after 25 years, how did it feel to be back on BBC One after such a long time?

It’s like stumbling across a long-discarded pair of trousers in the back of your wardrobe. You’d grown out of them decades earlier but now due to a new fitness regime and gastric flu that means you can’t keep food down, they fit again. You put them on, savouring the snug grip of waistband on midriff, perhaps parading up and down the landing like it’s a catwalk. Obviously, chances are you’ll regain that weight and outgrow the slacks again, but right now? It feels intensely satisfying. That is what it feels like to be back on the BBC. I can’t put it any clearer than that. I’ve now had the pleasure of presenting the show since 2019 and for billions of households up and down the country, I’m now part of the furniture - one of the good ones such as an elegant sideboard or a sleek TV/stereo unit.

Was there a particular guest that stood out for you in this or the previous series?

I think what you’re asking is ‘what makes a good guest’. And that’s a great question. A good guest is famous, with two anecdotes, speaks quickly (eg someone Scottish) and clearly (eg someone not Scottish), and listens. A lot of them don’t listen, that’s the problem. They think it’s all about them. They don’t listen, they need to listen more.

Alan, many well-known gameshows have returned to the airwaves of late. Jeremy Clarkson now hosts Who Wants to Be A Millionaire and Gino D’Acampo heads up Family Fortunes. Are there any classic gameshows from yesteryear you would like to revive/reboot and host?

No.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahahahaha. Love the passive aggressive digs at Jen, probably foreshadowing what is coming.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard Madeley replacing Piers Morgan on Good Morning Britain makes This Time a case of Partridge imitating life yet again.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it was an ok start to the series, but nothing fantastic. Did like his comments about Lynnes hip replacement though

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is everyone enjoying series 2 so far?

I thought this weeks was pretty good. The Lynne interactions were fantastic again and the noise when he opened the shaker Great scenes.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Cheeky Monkey” attacking Alan is just brilliant!

Also the strained relationship between Alan and his co-host in general.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night’s story about Lynn wringing the neck of a barely limping pheasant was great. I also liked him not wanting to reveal the whereabouts of the chemsex party “in order to protect house prices”.

They’ve done a really good job of the vignettes this series. The prison and SAS ones have been my favourites. Coogan can pull some amazing facial expressions.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Just binged the last three. Thought they were pretty great really. Glad there's less of Simon struggling with the screen and Ruth correcting Alan/agreeing with Jennie which was wearing a bit thin.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night’s story about Lynn wringing the neck of a barely limping pheasant was great. I also liked him not wanting to reveal the whereabouts of the chemsex party “in order to protect house prices”.

They’ve done a really good job of the vignettes this series. The prison and SAS ones have been my favourites. Coogan can pull some amazing facial expressions.
    He saved kill and killed four....with a twist!

That pose!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coogan is bringing Partridge on the road for a UK tour next year. Just got tickets for the Belfast show which turns out to be the very first night. Can’t wait.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Chris and any other Partridge fans…

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...anised-9253512

There’s also a FB page called “Angry People in Local Newspapers” where this was shared yesterday and the comments/references are glorious!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff.

Looking forward to the new series of From the Oasthouse.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff.

Looking forward to the new series of From the Oasthouse.
    Aye. Getting it myself too. Free on the Audible app.

Cashback!
    Last edited by Badger; September 23rd, 2022 at 5:06 PM.