User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: "Mr. Partridge, that’s the kitchens!"

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 sleep left you blonde bastard. From the future.

Stop getting bond wrong!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Alan Partridge sent the following email to all BBC employees this morning:

...and anyone who responded to it got this auto-reply:

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliance

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 100% changing my auto reply to that and leaving it on permanently

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really enjoyed this. Once he was doing features and interviews, it really got into a groove and the one liners and facial expressions were coming thick and fast. Loved the Coca Cholera line and the hygiene/hi jean bit. His confused reaction when the shandy woman said “You’re welcome” was perfect. I see some people on social media weren’t impressed or found it too awkward - I thought it started that way deliberately because he didn’t want to mess up his return to the BBC. Maybe it was a little cringe heavy in the first few minutes, but it quickly settled and I didn’t want it to end. I thought it was hilarious. Great to have Partridge back on TV again.

Loved his bemusement at North Norfolk Digital’s finances being hacked because the accounts tend to be done in an exercise book. And when he asked if handling raw meat was a euphemism.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Alice Clunt.

Actually it's Alice Fluck.

I see what I've done there.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd forgot it was on, saw the initial feedback on twitter and feared the worst.

Within seconds I was smiling from ear to ear, it was so fucking good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The navigation of accessing and using a train toilet without using hands was exceptional.

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahahahahahaha

Back in the big time!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    I was slightly disappointed by it, but I think that was more about my insanely high expectations than anything else. The first couple of minutes I was very worried as it seemed to be very broad and silly, with Coogan hamming up for the camera a bit too much, but either the show or I settled down after that and there were loads of great moments. The whole Sidekick Simon thing was great, the hygiene segment was fantastic, the extended no-hands-toilet thing was ridiculously good...I didn't really feel like the off-camera segments worked as well, and the Lynn stuff had a really weird feel to it, with no humour and her appearing so far off-screen that it felt like they were trying to hide the fact it wasn't really Lynn. But way more good than bad, and I reckon given a bit of distance the people who weren't high on it will like it more.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yeah I was the same but I think high expectations was probably the main reason. I remember feeling the same way about Scissored Isle when it came out but I watched it again the other day and there's loads of great moments.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Oh one thing I remembered thinking at the time - the title sequence, which didn't feature Alan at all, is blatantly going to gradually feature more Alan as the show goes on, isn't it

Legend
    RFF Championship Winner x 2. All time record RFF goalscorer. #111
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed it again last night. There are a good few belly laughs, and the final few minutes were fantastic. Still a few bits here and there that don't quite hit, but it's still fantastic. This character will never die.

... the son of the Head of Factual Programming.

The guy falling off the end of the bench in the audience.

Partridge for no reason getting into character on the battlefield.

Lots of little tiny bits that were just snort laughter.

Never really seen much like this before and I do like it. After watching the first episode back again in advance, it's definitely one of those you can watch again and enjoy it more IMO.

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the last few minutes in particular, very funny

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it was great. They pack an awful lot of jokes and facial expressions into 30 minutes and I think it takes a rewatch to process it all. Stuff that really made me laugh:

His voice becoming strained outside the old BBC building as he was turning his head to keep up with the moving camera.

Thinking that he was going to offer the second after eight to the woman on the other side of him, only for him to look at her and say “Hey” whilst putting it in his pocket.

Alan getting carried away by the idea of the twitter map showing enemy bombings. “Oh my god there’s 50,000 KIDS THERE!!!”.

The tweet Alan read about how John abused someone in the vein of Patrick Swayze from Ghost. “It started off as a vase, but by the time he’d finished fondling me it was just a very wide ashtray.”

The history scene was excellent. I loved the random shot of him walking quickly in the forest during his narration. And the peasant shouting “I’ve got kids” before Alan stabs him.

I really liked the conversation with Lynn. Reminiscent of their banter in I’m Alan Partridge, whereas I thought her appearance last week was a bit odd and felt shoehorned in.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    I wasn't totally convinced by the first couple of episodes - definitely good, but they felt like a big step down from Mid Morning Matters and the documentaries. But fuck me last night's episode was brilliant. Absolutely packed with great stuff right up to the last couple of minutes which were a bit shit. It's not often I end up in pain from laughing but it happened twice last night, first with the CGI face of a young Alan, and then when he showed the optimum technique for corporal punishment. So, so fucking good lads. Already can't wait to watch it again and see if there's anything I missed, or didn't appreciate as much as I should have because something else came along straight away. Tiny little moments like the receptionist giving him a shitty look in the titles...amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you catch it where he morphed from regular Partridge to schoolboy Partridge and you could see his old self step back from the pillar in the double shot while schoolboy Partridge was still in shot?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Ahahaha yes brilliant. A few people have moaned about bits like that being unrealistic, and I kind of understand that to a point - poor editing jobs and basic errors making the edit make more sense when they're supposedly done by Alan's production company on a small budget rather than a mainstream BBC show - but if the alternative is missing out on silly stuff like that I'm happy for it to be unrealistic.

I've found it quite interesting how different opinions have been of the series so far, there doesn't seem to be much consensus at all - some people think it's great, something it's a massive misfire, and there is no agreement whatsoever about which episode has been best. For me the most recent one was the best by an absolute mile, but I've seen a lot of people - hardcore Partridge fans - who thought the first and second episodes were much better. I guess because there's so much going on, and such different styles of comedy, that each episode is offering something completely different.

Loved the reveal of what was on Alan's camera roll. Arty photos of pregnant women, a crime sketch of Michael the Geordie and pictures of Edmonds

Legend
    RFF Championship Winner x 2. All time record RFF goalscorer. #111
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t even realise that there was a crime sketch of Michael. Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    To be fair the only reason I clocked it was because it's in the pictures section of the Nomad book.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Rewatched the third episode last night, fuck me there is so much good stuff in there. The co-presenter is great in the straight role - when Alan makes his comment about Scottish people making good workers, she has a look of sheer terror for literally half a second before she composes herself, it's so good.

Also an amazing line that sounded like it had come from Brass Eye - Alan explaining that bees die when they sting because the action leads the bee to "pull its own arse off'".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode. I know it's probably one of the least sophisticated jokes on the show, but I will never tire of Simon Denton failing to get photos to show on the big screen. Loved seeing Alan get the upper hand on Ruth. When he started out saying that there were no hard feelings, the way she slowly blinked out of pure hatred for him was perfect.

Simon you were absolutely on the money about the show's title sequence gradually having more shots of Alan over time. The slow motion shot of him jumping is superb, as is the receptionist sneering at him as he enters the building. I can only hope they're going to have the return of Michael now that they've used his photo from Nomad.

Fair enough if people don't find this as good as some of the other shows. For me, the first series of I'm Alan Partridge is a perfect comedy that has yet to be surpassed. But I'm staggered by people on twitter saying that this show is shite and unfunny. Especially when they add the qualifier that they love Partridge. I don't get what makes this show so unappealing or different in comparison to his other stuff. It's definitely a very densely packed format and it takes at least one rewatch to notice things or for certain lines or facial expressions to really land. But I think it's been fantastic. Episode 2 just about edges out episode 3 as my favourite so far.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    Sorry Chris, I missed your reply before - the title sequence is incredible isn't it, the reception's face

And speaking of incredible...that lookalike. The song. Fucking hell.

Oh also, a little easter egg for anyone who hasn't read the autobiographies - the cleaner that he referred to in last night's episode who is undergoing chemo is Sonja.

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With conviction!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved his shot at Carol last night - just talking over Jennie to say “Really nasty woman”.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binge-watched the series last night and it was so so good.

My stand out moment was Alan trying to entrap Monty Don into confessing to product placement. The slow morion when Monty says "Yeah", "A billion pounds?" then the car park exchange at the end, "I have a dentist appointment!"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Come at me like a bitch and don't be surprised if I mount you".

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Ooh very curvy stripes! Like she's been squeezed out of a giant tube of Colgate lady paste!"

The last few minutes are especially brilliant. "Eat moss!" "I'm pretty sure you can eat moss!" "And Bear Grylls has just textedto say a woman cannot eat moss! Good night!"

World Champion
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last nights episode may have been the best 30 minutes of Partridge cannon in history, and I don't say that lightly.

"You plant knives on black boys"

The whole dress set piece. The dictator bit, the whole police scene ending in the shower, the phone in. It was just one incredible line after another. I cant believe how good it was.

I've loved the whole series - particularly the last three episodes (come on out you black and tans being played on BBC 1 at prime time fucking hell)

It worked so well from me because it took all the best parts of partridge and packaged them into a show.

The banal chat and conversations with Lynne from IAP
    The interviews and wierd magazine segments from KMKY
    The docu packaged from Scissored Isle
    The sidekick simon stuff from MMM

That last episode was just perfect through.
    Last edited by Slare; April 2nd, 2019 at 4:48 AM.
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a farmers/Peter Baxendale Thomas feel to the last episode which made it even better.

Also was wondering what they were going to do with Alan/Jennie since it was quite obvuous he fancied her and they did not disappoint. "I'll just get another prescription!"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    God that was brilliant. So many fantastic moments, a great way to end the series. Love that it's been left open-ended as well, IMO there is definitely reason to consider another series of This Time in the future - maybe an outside possibility that, as good as this series was, it was just setting a believable scene for Alan to be back on the BBC with his own show? I mean, regardless of his underhand shit at the start of the episode, it was Jennie who was unprofessional in just fucking off as the show was about to start, and Alan did a reasonable job of filling in under difficult circumstances so maybe that's an angle for a second series with him in control?

I know the whole point of Partridge is that he gets himself into these horrible situations, but I really love the moments where he actually gets on board with a concept and engages with it properly - the way he got into the fashion bit last night, picking up on the expert's campness, was so funny, and was reminiscent of how quickly he took to working on the tills in Tesco.

I could say a million other things that I loved about that episode, but Tim Key's facial reactions are just incredible.

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still laughing about the shower scene just incredible

I am going to have to re-watch the entire series when I have the chance. I have a feeling they will get funnier each time I watch them. Hope they have another series with Michael in this time

Little things like telling all the women dog campaigners to 'get out of the fucking way'

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    "Let's come over and meet at the lady" fuck sake

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    I am still laughing about the shower scene just incredible

I am going to have to re-watch the entire series when I have the chance. I have a feeling they will get funnier each time I watch them. Hope they have another series with Michael in this time

Little things like telling all the women dog campaigners to 'get out of the fucking way'
    Yes Michael in the next series please, even if he's been arrested and it's a cameo from jail.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a good Empire podcast special about Partridge where the Gibbons brothers were interviewed. They didn't confirm or deny whether Michael would appear in this series, but acknowledged that it was more difficult giving a reason for him to show up compared to someone like Lynn. They're shooting another show for the BBC in May which is not a continuation of This Time, but I hope it comes back as well.

Episode 2 was my favourite until last night. That was outstanding from start to finish.

- The deliciously condescending way Alan said "I'm sorry about Jennie everybody. She has a brain disease!".

- Alan deploying an SAS anti-interrogation technique of repeating his name and address, but mixing them up as he became more tired.

- When Alan stands up to walk over to a feature and Simon starts to follow him, he stops mid-sentence to give a deep "Nooooo".

- "Mogadishu, Mogadishu, we all fall down". That one really had me laughing.

- The moss bit being picked up again at the very end of the show reminded me of the Dr Hook line from the KMKY Christmas Special.

It's been amazing to have a weekly Alan show again. I hope this is just the beginning of a lengthy run on the BBC. It's obvious that Coogan has a great relationship with the Gibbons brothers and the different formats probably keeps the character fresh and challenging for him. Even if IAP Series 1 probably remains my absolute favourite part of the "franchise", this was Coogan at the peak of his powers. A tour-de-force performance, with meticulous detail to the slightest look, gesture or tone of voice. Susannah Fielding was also fantastic throughout.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That last episode was just tremendous all the way through.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There's a good Empire podcast special about Partridge where the Gibbons brothers were interviewed. They didn't confirm or deny whether Michael would appear in this series, but acknowledged that it was more difficult giving a reason for him to show up compared to someone like Lynn. They're shooting another show for the BBC in May which is not a continuation of This Time, but I hope it comes back as well.
    Sidekick Simon is all loved up with Lucy then Michael fills in as guest host one week maybe?

I wish turdpower was still around to comment.