Thread: Dexter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter

First season in the books.

And holy shit.

I don't care if I know what happens, I am getting the book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh look at me, I have Showtime so I get to watch acclaimed television seriesisessies.

I've still got to watch The Wire and Weeds; stop adding to the list.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm fully aware The Wire is on HBO. I don't get that in the dorm either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dorm doesn't have any premium channels? Mine had at least HBO. Bummer.

Sorry to add to your list, but it was really awesome.

Alf
    I've heard good things about this series. I might have to add it to the growing list of incredible american dramas to download.

Simon
    Just started watching this. So far, it is fucking brilliant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sags somewhat near the end of the first half, but then it picks up again in to awesomocity.

Simon
    I'm watching it off TVLinks, which only has 12 episodes...is that all there is? I thought US seasons were usually 24 episodes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 sounds about right. It wasn't a normal TV broadcast, it was a premium channel show (like The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under, etc).

It'll never be the same.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually watched this entire series (via torrent) while I was vacationing in Miami/Key West. It was a complete coincidence that I heard of this show while I was there, and after I watched the first episode I was completely hooked. Fucking brilliant show. Watching it in Miami made me realize how vividly it captured the South Beach 'vibe'. Michael C. Hall is one of my favorite TV actors at the moment, and besides him the supporting cast is superb. The story itself is obviously awesome; I can't wait till the next season.

Thrilled that a thread was made for it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, too bad I made the thread nearly 4 and half months ago.

It'll never be the same.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blah. Glad it was bumped, then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't wait for the new season to start! this show is awesome!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else watching this in the UK at the moment? I meant to start watching when it first started, but I didn't get round to it. FX had a catch up on Saturday night, though, showing episodes one to five, so I'm up to date now. It's really, really good. I like it more and more with each episode.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually meant to bump this thread a few weeks ago, but I forgot all about it. When I bought Zodiac at Wal-Mart, it came with a bonus disc that has the first two episodes of Dexter on it. I'd heard of the show before, and was really interested in seeing it, so I was excited about this. I watched both of those episodes before I even got to the movie, and I was blown away. So blown away, in fact, that I almost immediately went and picked up the book that the show was based on, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, as well as it's sequel, Dearly Devoted Dexter. Needless to say, I'll be getting the season 1 DVD set the day it comes out (August 21st, I believe), and would highly recommend this show to anyone else as well.
    "My name is Tim Buckley. I'm a twenty-four-year-old gamer. I’ve played every violent video game in existence, and I have never killed anyone. There are millions of gamers just like me, and we’re getting sick of people like you blaming your problems on us. Ignorance causes violence, not video games. Man up and take responsibility. We outnumber you, and the people that think like you. Don’t fuck with us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I just finished up the book, picked it up for my vacation. I like how the book was actually pretty damn short and the series fleshed it out a thousand fold (the stuff with Rita, extra "victims of the week" for Dex, more Deborah/LaGuerta political stuff, more Doakes, Angel's side story). Though...wasn't Angel a detective in the series, not the ME like the book?

I must have waffles, forthwith kaiken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently, there are leaks of the first two episodes of season two all around. And, ahem, from what I've heard, they're excellent.

Who watches the... Dodgy Browne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed how I read this whole thread and still have no clue what the hell Dexter is about.
    Anyone care to inform?

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy Browne
    I'm amazed how I read this whole thread and still have no clue what the hell Dexter is about. Anyone care to inform?
    Dexter is about Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter analyst for the Miami police, who also happens to be a sociopathic serial killer. However, he follows "the code of Harry" a set of rules taught to him by his foster father, a former cop, while Dexter was still young. Because of this code, he only kills people who deserve it, such as other serial killers, and also does his best to blend in with other people (for example, having a relationship) in order to prevent people from realizing what he is.

Last edited by KorruptJustice; August 16th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry is his FOSTER father. Important distinction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you're right. My bad.

EDIT: Foster father, yeah. That's what I said.

Who watches the... Dodgy Browne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The opening credits alone are great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching Season 1 after not being able to get around to watching it for awhile. It was simply amazing. There were a lot of things changed from the book, which normally is something that annoys me, but for the most part I thought all of the changes that were made were just as good, if not better, than what was written.

The last episode may be my favorite hour of television ever, especially the brief moment

Really interested to see where this show goes in Season 2. Sucks that I don't have Showtime though, so I'm going to have to find a place to download it online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching it myself, and GODDAMN how gripping did this get towards the end. I fucking LOVED it. Cant wait for season 2.

Texas Weedeater Massacre Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KorruptJustice View Post
    I actually meant to bump this thread a few weeks ago, but I forgot all about it. When I bought Zodiac at Wal-Mart, it came with a bonus disc that has the first two episodes of Dexter on it.
    My girlfriend bought the same deal. She brought it over this weekend, and it was excellent. And coincidentally, this last Friday I started getting Showtime for $5 a month with my cable provider for 6 months. I can't wait to see some new episodes.

whats the deal with that
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen Dexter but The Wire is incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig T. Nelson View Post
    I haven't seen Dexter but The Wire is incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM
    Then why not post that in The Wire thread? Or if there isn't one, why not make a Wire thread and then post it in there?

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy chotliwala's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished watching the first season and what an amazing show. I love shows that make you hate a character at the beginning and then make you want to see them succeed.

The only thing I'm worried about is how the second season will fare. I know with Veronica Mars the first season mystery was so ingrained in the character that the second season mystery didn't pack the same oomph that the first did.

Also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone bought Dexter in the Dark yet? I got it when it came out on Tuesday, and just finished it. Kind of disapointing, to be honest. Definitely the worst of the three books.

I really think that the book suffers from the loss of Doaks.
    Also, the explanation of the Dark Passenger didn't really work for me.

I'm kinda bummed out, because after the first two books, and the TV show, I had really high expectations for the book. Hopefully the fourth one will be better (if there is one).
    Last edited by KorruptJustice; September 21st, 2007 at 6:38 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far so good on Season 2. When Doakes catches Dexter at the NA meeting, which gives him the explanation he's been looking for on to why Dexter sneaks around and why he's a bit off, that was an awesome scene. Dexter realizing just how good the situation turned out for him and "joining in" with the clapping as a result was sublimely done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fucking LOVED that. Doakes' smile when he is reavealed in the doorway got me thinking "oh shit, he heard all that" and I thought that now he had something on Dexter. Then within just a couple of seconds, the whole thing turned, and we realised that Doakes now thinks he's found whats really up with Dexter was like, GENIOUS. And Doakes even seemed to mellow on Dexter, like he was sympathising with him. Great stuff.

Im not sure I like where we are going with Rita though, like she is going to become jealous. I dont want to see this turned into a soap. But I have great faith in the writiers as theyve provided us with fantastic stuff thusfar and fully expect it to continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spent the afternoon getting caught up on Season 2 of Dexter. I think episode 3 may be my favorite episode of the series yet. Probably the only one that I would put above it is the season one finale. The ending of episode 4 was good and I can't wait to download the next one.

There's only been a couple of problems with season 2 so far. The first is the fact that the actor who played Cody has changed. I always hate it when they do this on a show. The second is the Pascal character. I can't stand her,
    The only other problem with me was that Angel was really annoying the first couple of episodes, but I really thought that he was awesome in episode 4.

Am I the only one that thinks that Doakes is the greatest character on this show (besides Dexter, of course)? That's probably the one thing about the ending of episode 3 I didn't like, just because it meant that Doakes wouldn't be following Dexter around anymore.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, I'm sure something will re-pique Doake's instincts in Dexter. The dynamic just isn't the same.

However, I have this feeling that even if Dexter is under suspicion, Doakes will also be because of his past, in the BHB investigation.

Once more unto the breach Pipkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of you guys know where I can watch Dexter online? I had been watching season 2 on youtube but they had to take them down. I can't find the season 2 episodes anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My girlfriend recently bought Season 1, and this show is way too addictive. It's just crazy how the show can make you laugh seeing a serial killer try to understand (and fake) the emotions and ideals of a normal person. I mean, humor isn't really a huge part of the show, but a few of the situations that Dexter has been in are absolutely hilarious.

I also like how, as previously mentioned, you can go from feeling indifferent toward Dexter at the beginning, or outright disliking him. But as the show progresses, you eventually find yourself cheering him on.

Excellent show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest episode was incredible. Dexters rage is terrifying considering we always see him so calm. Really loved it.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    Do any of you guys know where I can watch Dexter online? I had been watching season 2 on youtube but they had to take them down. I can't find the season 2 episodes anywhere.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/chailattejustea

That guy has every single episode uploaded in excellent quality.

I don't know whether Showtime is having an extended preview or something, but about two weeks ago I just happened to find out that I get one Showtime channel. Having heard a lot about Dexter, and wanting to check is out for awhile now, I watched a few of the season two episodes and got hooked. Went and bought the season one set two days ago and breezed through the entire thing, and am now catching up on the season two episodes I missed. The show is intoxicating. As soon as I finish one episode, I immediately crave another. Even after spending fifteen hours in the last two days watching this series, I want more and more. I've never been so entranced by a television show. Not even The Sopranos had me like this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, Dexter made Doakes his bitch last night. That was awesome. He tells Doakes he'll never get him because he's always one step ahead of him, basically telling him what he's about to do, and then gets Doakes looking like a complete unhinged psycho in front of the entire department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy shit, this show is gettin intense. each week, dexter is just gettin more psycho. i love it.

lila turning into a crazy person is fun too. fuckin smokin hot, that lady is.
    Last edited by Slim Shady; November 12th, 2007 at 7:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was some major mental shit right there. What Dexter did to Doakes had me literally cheering for him! Immense!

All this time I thought Lila aas a good'un, but I guess not.

Loved the symbolism at the end when Dexter notices the lightbulb has been fixed, and he thinks back to how Lila always takes things into her own hands to get what she wants. Makes you wonder if he has her figured out already.

I also marked out for Deborah saying Clusterfuck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched episode 9 last night. Loved the Dexter/Doakes confrontation.

"Jesus Christ!"
    "You said that already."

I'm really looking forward to the last 3 episodes of this season.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hate Deb with all of my being. A shit character on an amazing show.

Anyone else agree that they are spending entirely too much time on Deb and ol' Inspector Saggy Balls?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're trying to translate an aspect of the second book.

And at least you recognize that it's the character who is annoying, though I hope you realize that it's written that way. That's who she is in the books, too. A loud mouth over bearing overcompensating pain in the neck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently started watching this, and now fully up to date. Absolutely phenomenal show. I love everything about it, just brilliantly put together.

The last episode was great, the confrontation between Doakes and Dexter at the end was really intense, can't wait to see where it goes. Going to seek out the books soonish, especially after hearing they differ a bit from the show so it's not like I'll just be re-reading stuff I already know.

I have to say I've never really disliked Deb, I've actually quite liked her story in this season, seeing her get back on her feet after what she went through.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have to ditto that I really like Deb most of the time. I was 110% behind her when she was telling Dex he fucked up by cheating (details aside).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fucking hated her when she was riding Dexters nuts about cheating. Dexter wasnt in the right as such (he wasnt open with Rita, but as a serial killer, how could he be), but he never cheated on her, so fuck deb.

I do like her most of the time though, I just cant decide whether she's hot or not, sometimes she is, sometimes she isnt.

At the end of the episode before last, when Doakes first uncovers the slides, I called it right away that he would end up being the suspect in the Buther case.

About the books, the first one was good if you could get past the poor way its written. Unfortunately in all of them, Dexter comes off as an eccentric wordsworth, and doesn't seem anywhere near as real as he does in the show. I also found the second and third books dealt entirely too much with other bullshit, and "the bad guy" wasn't given nearly enough in the books, only getting a final climactic scene which is over way too quickly and easily.

And also the third book especially has way too much of a bullshit supernatural element. What Makes the show os great is the way Dexter is so grounded in reality. That was thrown out of the window in the third book (and too a much lesser and more accepatble extent in the first book).

However I find the TV show to be flawless. Its by far the most gripping, nail-biting Show or Movie I've ever seen. Its so goddamn well written, and every character has a point. there are genuine laugh out loud moments.

Infact if there is one flaw with the show, its that some problems which are brought up towards the end of one episode, and make you think, "Damn, Dexter is fucked now!", are solved by the end of the very next episode, but soon after they are, another problem arises (think the video cameras at the harbour as an example). In some way that makes for great TV, but I find it happening a little too often. Still its the most minor of flaws.

I can safely say that here we have a screen version which is infinately better than the source material.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doct1400 View Post
    Yeah I have to ditto that I really like Deb most of the time. I was 110% behind her when she was telling Dex he fucked up by cheating (details aside).
    I like her, too, but that's maybe because I know someone just like her. A girl who got mostly ignored by her father (but for completely different reasons, obviously) and who works in an industry that's mostly blue collar men. She has that same sort of over compensating potty mouth, and attention seeking behavior that Deb does.

I wasn't behind her 100% when she was reading Dexter the Riot Act, because she was partially in the wrong (the cheating thing...he didn't cheat), but ultimately since I pegged Lila as a nutjob she had a point that Rita didn't deserve what she got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So apparently the last two episodes have leaked online. Im downloading them now and will post again when I find out if they're legit. No spoilers ofcourse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already got the scoop. About what I expected at the conclusion of Sunday's episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaked Episode 11 is genuine. Off to enjoy it now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    They're trying to translate an aspect of the second book.

And at least you recognize that it's the character who is annoying, though I hope you realize that it's written that way. That's who she is in the books, too. A loud mouth over bearing overcompensating pain in the neck.
    The actress isn't that great either. She also gets saddled with some of the weakest dialogue in the show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I watched the final two episodes, and as usual, despite all the fears the writers give me that they will fuck it up, they still manage to deliver.

whats the deal with that
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has he let his sister into the lab yet

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the leaked episodes and downloaded them. Just couldn't possibly wait a week and a half for these.

And apparently the show may start to air on CBS to fill some holes left by the strike. I would imagine it'd be heavily cut and edited, which might hurt the overall image of the show. If they put out a bastardized version of the show, do you think it'd hurt the show in the future when aired on Showtime?
    Last edited by Morrison; December 6th, 2007 at 6:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    The actress isn't that great either. She also gets saddled with some of the weakest dialogue in the show.
    Ever see the Exorcism of Emily Rose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    Have to agree, at that point i couldnt watch either, I left it playing but switched to Rajah instead because I just couldnt watch.
    Last edited by Wedge; December 6th, 2007 at 9:15 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, I fixed the spoiler tag in the quote for you. It was all open and viewable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit sorry. My Bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching the last two eps of the season.

This really is one of the best shows on TV ever, every aspect is superbly well done.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    Found the leaked episodes and downloaded them. Just couldn't possibly wait a week and a half for these.

And apparently the show may start to air on CBS to fill some holes left by the strike. I would imagine it'd be heavily cut and edited, which might hurt the overall image of the show. If they put out a bastardized version of the show, do you think it'd hurt the show in the future when aired on Showtime?
    Just wanted to let you know, earlier this year, Comcast put every single episode of the first season of Dexter up on their inDemand service for free as a way to get people interested in the show.

The entire season was edited for broadcast TV and I still think it came off very well, minus the odd voice over masking a curse word every now and then.

Basically, Dexter would do fine on Broadcast TV, and I don't think it took too much away from the original unedited show.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire setup for Lila's and Deb's distain for each other would have to be cut. No tits for the audience. And what wonderful tits they are too.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where might i find the final episode of dexter?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care if I know what's going to happen, it's still awesome to watch. How good does that make the show?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miotch View Post
    The entire setup for Lila's and Deb's distain for each other would have to be cut. No tits for the audience. And what wonderful tits they are too.
    "Pardon my tits." Marvelous stuff.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I threw up in my mouth when Deb called Lundey god. Terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lundy is awesome.

I did NOT need to see his saggy white ass on the other hand.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    But Deb is the liquid shits. Especially since they dedicate so much time to her. I'm not sure what audience they think they are catering to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not gonna argue the point anymore with you, but the character is supposed to be an overbearing annoying pain in the ass. You either love her or hate her. And you hate her. Congrats, you have one of the two responses to a character of her type.

They are catering to the "she's an intregal part of the narrative" audience.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deb is swell. She's Dexter's sis, and he ultimately made the decision he did because he didn't want to break up her world again. I don't see what's bad about her character...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched episodes 11 and 12 today, and really enjoyed them, although not as much as the episodes at the end of the first season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in all, a really good way to end the season, although I wish there had been some hint at what direction Season 3 is going to take.
    There is, a tthe end of the first season there was "The Shoe" which lead to Dexter admitting he had an addiction, going into rehab and meeting Lila.

This season

Always give this show the benefit of the doubt. If ever you feel like youre worried they are going to go in the wrong direction, you can be sure that they've never let you down in the past (atleast with the major story threads, though I have no complaints about any of it) and you can KNOW that they will give you what you want, and if they dont, it will be something better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel View Post
    This season

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, it gets tiring watching him dodge people over and over again. The first season was much more relaxed, and maybe it should go back to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm pretty far behind everyone (I've only just finished season 1), but I still can't believe how excellent this show is. Everything is masterfully done.

I just have a few questions (since I can't wait to find out myself):

-Has Doakes discovered outright that Dexter is a serial killer? Or is it only still suspected at this point?
    -Are there any other important flashbacks in Dexter's childhood?
    -Is the thing with Paul and Rita actually going anywhere?

Sorry, I just can't wait to see Season 2, and it seems impossible to see it chronologically until the DVD comes out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to assume you don't want to be completely spoiled so I'll answer your questions as they stand at the beginning of Season 2:

1) At the end of 1/beginning of 2 Doakes still only strongly suspects that something is off with Dexter, but his suspicions are greatly aroused after the finale. He's taken to following Dexter everywhere.

2) Most definitely.

3) Oh, yes. Dexter's "removal" of Paul leads to pretty much the overlying story arc of the second season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently reading the first book. Just over half way through it.

I'd say it's not quite as good as the show, it's still very good though. Dexter seems to be a lot wittier in his narration in the book which I'm enjoying.

The show definetly did a great job of fleshing out and changing some things from the book as far as I can tell so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ran through this show earlier this week. Probably the most addicting and entertaining show I've seen in quite some time.

and might I add that Jaime Murray is the best looking woman to ever walk the face of the earth.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder... Dexter is currently running on CBS. Great time to catch the show if you're new to it as they're rerunning the first season on Sunday nights at 10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd always had HBO and not Showtime (so I'm clearly way behind this trend) and I'd always heard nothing but great things about Dexter but been warned by many friends not to bother watching the hatcheted-up versions of Dexter they're currently airing on CBS, so onto the Netflix list it went.

We're currently 8 episodes through the first season, and I absolutely love it, so much so that I'm actually debating running out right now, buying the DVDs and calling out of work in the morning.

I'll probably have more to say once I've viewed the full 1st season - I thought I had the Ice Truck Killer all figured out after something in the 4th episode, and for all I know, I still may, but you guys know the twists and turns that story has taken from there. We'll see. I'm totally hoping to be proven wrong, and I figure I will be.

My HBO shows are all disappearing - in fact, that's exactly how one of them finished. It's probably time to add Showtime, because I'm a huge fan of Weeds as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very odd that you bumped the thread just now, as I was looking this up literally 10 minutes ago to find out when Season 3 might be coming.

September is apparently when it'll be back.

Out of interest ROB what do you think you've figured out from the 4th ep? Obviously I won't tell you if you're onto something, just curious.

I never did finish the book. Someone mentioned that the supernatural aspect that's present in the book put them off a bit, and I'm inclined to agree. I don't mind supernatural stuff, quite the opposite in fact, but to me it just doesn't seem to fit and I'm glad it's missing from the show.

home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I adore this show. Watched the whole thing in about a week and a half straight. I was hoping the third season was coming sooner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bits View Post
    Out of interest ROB what do you think you've figured out from the 4th ep? Obviously I won't tell you if you're onto something, just curious.
    Alright, as I've said, I'm pretty sure the core of my initial thought is in some way true, but the twists still offer up so many potential great payoffs.

Here goes, in tags regardless of the fact that it's just a theory -

Also, I don't dislike the Deb character as much as many of my friends and some of you seem to, as she's written in such a way that she's supposed to be somewhat dislikeable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROB

home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Deb. Her hair requires it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think I said it before in this thread, but I am one of the ones who like Deb. She's meant to be annoying and such but for whatever reason I really like it.

I liked her in Season 2 especially.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deb is awesome. People rail against the actress sometimes and it's like, don't hate her, she's playing the character almost exactly as she's written (though in the books, she's more "conventionally" hot). But she's an over compensating woman-in-a-man's-world character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Showtime free preview weekend. Every single fucking network they've got. Time to roll out the big guns and earn everyone's some bucks a month.

No Dexter, no Weeds.

What the fuck is that shit?

They did show "Babel" tonight, I guess, so that's something. Still, come on. When HBO does this, they're all "BAM! - have some Sopranos! BOOYAH! - The Wire cominatcha! POW! - Old School OZ right in your face! CRUNK! - Healthy dosage of Big Love (season 2, when it got good) all up in your business! ZINGO! - Deadwood in the 'hood!" -- and the hits just keep on coming!

Fuckin' Showtime and their mini-"The L Word" marathons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a warning for those who haven't gone through it all, there's spoilers here. I don't think tags are required since the seasons are well over but I don't want to ruin it.

I've had a very boring weekend and gone through both of the seasons since Thursday. I'm glad I have a fairly active social life most of the time or I'd have no shows left to watch on these boring weekends when I go at that rate.

Really digging it. I was saying to Bits as I was halfway through the first season how it didn't really grab me and I stand by that. Was a very slow burner and nothing really stood out to me that much. It built up the characters fairly well though so when the twist about Dexter's brother came around it made fantastic TV. I know that the doc was going to be the killer, it was blatant, but I didn't expect the swerve ball of him being Dexter's brother. The flashbacks and Dexter learning about the death of his mother was really the best parts of it. Seeing Harry train him up to be the killer was what kept me interested for the most part.

Season 2 was way, way better. Doakes investigating Dexter was just tremendous and I love how ambiguous it was in places. At times I wanted Dexter to chop up Doakes and then other times when I really wanted Doakes to put Dexter behind bars. I knew the latter was never going to happen, but still. The last few eps in the hut had some really, really strong scenes and I couldn't call a lot of it.
    Then you have Jaime Murray who I absolutely loved in Hustle so it was great to have her on the cast. Going from such strong love to hate with her character was cracking fun. Even though it was obvious she was going to be mental from the start it was still a great ride to get there. She played the crazy bitch role so well. And has lovely tits. Really gutted Dexter killed her in the end as I'd love to see a return in the next season

So yeah, I'm definitely a fan now. Glad I stuck with the slow parts of the first season.

Also anyone who doesn't love Deb is officially mental.
    Last edited by Bad Obsession; March 15th, 2008 at 3:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season 3 Trailer.

Can't fucking wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bits View Post

Season 3 Trailer.

Can't fucking wait.

I can't either. I recently reread the first two books, and found them as enjoyable as I did the first time, though not as good as the TV show. I might read the third one again as well, but honestly, that one was so shit that I doubt I'll read much of it.

It's gonna suck waiting for this season to start, but Dexter Season 2 is out on DVD next month, and that will definitely help with the wait.

EDIT: Not sure if it's a spoiler because Season 2 was on so long ago, but just in case:

Last edited by KorruptJustice; July 25th, 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I still hate Deb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dexter is the best thing on TV right now by a country mile.
    Michael C Hall discovered how to act without looking pretentious. Brilliant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post
    Dexter is the best thing on TV right now by a country mile.
    Not sure I'd go quite that far. It's definitly in the Top 10, but that Top 10 is chock full of some pretty high quality television and is fairly interchangable.

Season 2 DVD rolls out in the States on the 19th, just in time to prep people for the new season. If memory serves, Showtime plans to run Dexter season 3 back-to-back with season 2 of "Californication", another show amongst the aforementioned Top 10. That'll make for a quality evening of TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't watch much television other than comedy shows and there aint too many long running comedy shows of great value in Britain. I usually spend my tv time on movies.

What should I be looking out for right now that's better than Dexter? Bear in mind I have Sky but I don't know if your shows correlate well with British telly schedules.

About Dexter itself, I'd quite like to get my hands on the books. I've heard talk of paranormal affairs in the third book which I don't much fancy but the first two sound braw.
    Also, is it just me or is the woman who plays Lila in the second series a really bad actress? It can't just be her character, she has massive gums and I remain unconvinced.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She isnt too bad in Hustle http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/hustle/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's Johnny Allen's dawta

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Eastenders? Nah thats the wee young faced doll. Louisa something.

This woman did some Debenhams ads with some gimp off eastenders as well.

I don't mind her in this.
    Last edited by son_of_foley; August 6th, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He means she's the actors daughter not that she was in it, and she is.

I thought she was great in Dexter personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaime Murray made season 2 so enjoyable for me. It was much better than the first to begin with but I adored her character so much. It's a shame that she won't be in season 3, I wish they didn't have that last minute kill of her. A return in a future season, even for a few episodes, would have been really cool.

I do love Hustle though so that probably has something to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post
    What should I be looking out for right now that's better than Dexter? Bear in mind I have Sky but I don't know if your shows correlate well with British telly schedules.
    Again, not sure any of these are actually any better nor any worse than "Dexter" - my hypothetical Top 10 would probbly be completely interchangable depending mostly on what I felt like watching. As such, consider these suggestions on par with "Dexter" if nothing else...

"Mad Men" is currently the most hyped American television show in recent memory, and more than lives up to the hype. "Damages" should be as hyped as "Mad Men", and if the second season's even close to as good as the first, it unquestionably will be. "Breaking Bad" was pretty incredible, "Weeds" is probably my favorite comedy right now, followed closely behind by our version of "The Office". "The Wire" is probably the most underrated TV show in the history of television...and that statement includes the far-too-late critical hype it recieved and the glowing reviews of those who always loved it. "Brotherhood" is almost as underrated as The Wire, and almost as good as well. "Californication" will make you stop thinking about Duchovny as Fox Mulder altogether. No small feat, that. I'll use the 9th slot as an honorable mention for every FX show not previously mentioned ("Damages"), that hasn't gotten a bit ridiculous ("Nip/Tuck"), or that hasn't been awful from the jump ("Dirt"). I'm a big fan of "The Shield" myself, but "Rescue Me" and "The Riches" (at least the first season) also deserves an honorable mention.

"Dexter" makes 10.

You get the whole drug thing better than the average bear. If I'm you, I probably start with The Wire (which I'm gonna guess you already watch), Weeds and Breaking Bad.