User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Retro Gaming

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still going to continue with my SMW 96☆ playthrough but I just got a classic game that I've never played before which will certainly slow me down a little.

Paper Mario for the N64. Anyone play it? I played the sequel to it, The Thousand Year Door, on the Gamecube and I fucking loved it.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paper Mario is excellent. Thousand Year Door is better, but that's only because it builds upon what was great about the first one. Definitely let me know what you think! That's one of my favorite N64 games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Paper Mario series is actually a tragic tale. The N64, GameCube, and Wii games were excellent (though still paling in comparison to Super Mario RPG) but they started taking the series in a different direction and Paper Mario is no longer really an RPG series.

Sticker Star was garbage.
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; January 27th, 2019 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Super Mario RPG one time and got fairly far into it. I really enjoyed it but then I got to some type of master/sensai guy you had to beat to move on and it was going to require so much leveling up that I just quit.

This is why I've still only ever beaten two rpgs.

Dragon Warrior (took me years)
    Tales of Symphonia (played it two player with my brother who forced me to keep playing)

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit a similar bruck wall when I got to Adel in Final Fantasy VIII when you couldn't just blast your way through with GFs anymore or you'd kill Rinoa. 6 months later levelled up and Aura with Irvine's Shot sorted Adel.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    I'm still going to continue with my SMW 96☆ playthrough but I just got a classic game that I've never played before which will certainly slow me down a little.

Paper Mario for the N64. Anyone play it? I played the sequel to it, The Thousand Year Door, on the Gamecube and I fucking loved it.
    What are you playing Mario World on? I just started up on it to get the 96, and I'm doing it on the GBA. Something I dont remember being able to do on the SNES (which you can on GBA) is save anywhere on the map (I think on SNES it was only after a castle or ghost house), and also being able to pause in the middle of a stage and quit (to basically save a life and restart the stage).
    I'm up to world 3 now (and unlocked all the star road stages), and a lot of it has become a breeze now that I can just go get a blue Yoshi before starting every level and fly my way through. I guess the hard part is trying to get every Yoshi coin as that in most cases forces you actually play the stage.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing it in the SNES classic.

My old school way was to go back to a super easy ghost house or castle (Donut Ghost House is a breeze) and save if I wanted to stop playing in the middle of a random level.

And yeah screw that Yoshi coin thing. If it's a yellow level and I can fly right through it then that's what I'm doing since it has no effect on getting the 96☆.

Although really they should've put some kind of challenge mode into it to make you try and beat the game that way.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its easier on the GBA but seeing how its the more complete/definitive version of the game, I thought I'd play on there. The downside is that with the smaller screen and aspect ratio, parts of the screen are of course cut off, so sometimes you can't see certain platforms that you're supposed to jump down to, which actually adds a new level of difficulty in some places.
    My plan is to start playing some of these old school games again and archiving the save files on the PC, so I'm trying to pick out the "best" version of every game. I think the GBA one is the better one, with the added intro sequence and the checklist for stages and Yoshi coins when you press Select on the map. But it sucks that its on the smaller screen/awkward aspect ratio. The same with Final Fantasy 6 which has its best version on the GBA, or Chrono Trigger on the NDS. Just awkward if you want to play on your TV.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have that GBA player that you plugged into the bottom of the Gamecube so you could play on the tv. No idea where it went. Not that it matters as I didn't collect many GBA games. Portable has never really been my thing.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm currently using. Swapping between that and the Gameboy Micro when I want to go portable. But even when playing on the TV, you're still stuck with the GBA's resolution and aspect ratio, so it doesnt really solve any of the issues.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was only really into GBA for a short while when the frontlit clam shell GBA SP came out. I got a platinum edition and a copy of Wario Ware that day and played the shit out of it. Finally being able to actually see the goddamn screen was a gamechanger. Threw my old GBA away.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Paper Mario is excellent. Thousand Year Door is better, but that's only because it builds upon what was great about the first one. Definitely let me know what you think! That's one of my favorite N64 games.
    I just completed the intro and first chapter. Finishing with the Koopa bros fortress. I'm having a blast. I could tinker with the badge system all day.

One thing that struck me right away is how well graphical styles like this hold up over time. The game is far more fun to look at than Super Mario 64.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently up to 49 exits on Mario World. I honestly thought everything would come rushing back to me but it turns out I actually only really remember the first two worlds and Star world "inside out". I'm at the point now where I'd having to find secret exits again like its the first time. I havent done the Yoshi coins but plan on going back over all the levels again later for them.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm about to get into the Vanilla Dome myself. Right where the difficulty starts to go up a bit.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay Vanilla Dome time.

Super Mario World 96☆ replay.
    -------

-Vanilla Dome 1- (red dot level)

Yeah right off the bat I can see the difficulty going up in this world. I died a couple times. That was challenging.

The second exit is obvious to find and it looks like you need the red switch block to access the key and keyhole but then I noticed a blue shell so I just came back with a Yoshi and beat it by flying up over the red dotted line blocks. This opens up Vanilla Secret.

-Vanilla Dome 2- (red)

The first exit is easy enough. Just make it to the item roulette blocks, get the starman and run to the finish. This opens the path to Vanilla Ghost House.

The Red Switch palace is opened up by getting the key here. And the exit is tricky as fuck. You have to hit the p- block after carrying it to the left as far as you can. Then move as far to the left as you can after hitting it.

If you don't then you wind up falling down into the wrong area where you can't get the key.

-Vanilla Secret 1- (red)

Easy enough to beat the first way. The second is tricky as fuck. Gotta fly up and to the left on the second level to find a pipe that you would otherwise never see.

Simon
    After a couple of weeks trying to get the game working properly (for some reason the graphics didn't sync up properly with the gameplay on my emulator, so my character would be able to walk on parts of the screen where he shouldn't be, but not parts he should be, making it really confusing and basically unplayable), I've finally got properly started on my first play-through of Final Fantasy VII in...I dunno, maybe 17 or 18 years? The graphics are a mix of dreadful and fantastic, with terrible, blocky characters but stunning backgrounds which completely hold up to modern standards...but the story is immediately hooking me back in. I've only played an hour or so, so far, but I feel like I'm getting more out of it than I did as a kid, understanding the various motivations a lot more. So far I've remembered pretty much everything that has happened from my previous times playing it, probably because I started and then lost interest in that first hour so many times before, but I'm looking forward to getting a bit further in to a point where I don't remember much of it.

My memory of FF7 is really weird and broken down, in my head it's basically:

Disc 1: Midgar
    Disc 2: Snow
    Disc 3: Sephiroth

I know there's so much more to it than that, but really that feels how it breaks down in my head. I really feel like it has a weird layout, with Midgar this incredibly detailed, long first chapter, then the world is expanded in terms of size but suddenly becomes much more sparse. Feels like that should have been the other way around.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats kind like how Final Fantasy IX was (didnt play VIII which was the only other multi disc game in the series), where the first few areas are very detailed and dense, then you start exploring the rest of the bigger world and it feels more sparse. I think that might be partly due to hardware limitations (RAM and disc space?) and the storyline progression being written around that. Which I guess would make sense. But either way, its something I sort of expected after seeing how long it took to get out of Midgar. I felt there's no way the rest of the cities in the game are as long as this (not that it would've been an issue, of course).

I can't remember if I talked about it here but I played FF VII for the first time about 6 months ago. It was always just one of those unexplainable things when people asked why I hadn't played it before. I thought it would be an interesting experiment as I'd always thought the nostalgia with this game was the main reason it was so revered, so I went into this with the mindset of "Lets see how good this really is." considering I don't have that same sentimental attachment to it.
    The game only took me less than a couple of weeks to finish (IIRC), but I put a shit load of hours per day into it. My feeling about the game in the end was sort of like "Its good, and I can see why people liked it, but its not that good." Which actually annoyed one of my mates who'd been nagging me to play this game for years.
    I guess with all the praise the game has got over the years and the thought that I was "missing out", maybe I was looking to scrutinise the game. Having said that, there were many aspects of the game that actually didnt appeal to me (which I wont bother listing unless someone here actually wants to talk about it), so I was disappointed with the game on some level.

I think FFVII is like my fourth favourite Final Fantasy game.

Simon
    I can only speak for my own experience but it's the best narrative game I've ever played by an absolute mile - gameplay-wise it's nothing special, but the story is just utterly engrossing, or at least was to me as a 14-year old. Maybe your expectations were too high because of the reputation it had - I bought it knowing it had a great reputation but expecting not to like it because I thought that RPG games were nerdy and shit, in fact I think I literally just bought it as a punt, it got 97% in whatever PS1 magazine I used to buy and it was only a tenner or so second-hand from CEX. And honestly it absolutely blew me away, it was the first game I'd ever played where I cared about the characters and really thought about it when I wasn't playing it.

The graphics definitely won't have helped you if my recent experience is anything to go by, the character graphics have dated astonishingly badly where older consoles like SNES still stand up in their own cartoon-y way, but if you didn't enjoy the story then I don't really know what to say, I thought it was great. The remake should be incredible if they don't fuck with the story too much and give it a modern look.

I've only played FF7 and maybe half of FF8 before I fucked that off (not helped by my copy being a snide one borrowed off esteemed former Rajah poster @Harry which he got from America and only worked in black and white), honestly no other RPG has ever interested me in the slightest.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend Frank and I were very into Phantasy Star for Sega Genesis.

I'm also right now trying to attempt this "negative world" in Super Mario Bros.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In terms of engrossing story and fully fleshed out characters FF6 has 7 beat.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Soundtrack too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it safe to say the best stretch for the franchise would be 6-8?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The graphics werent an issue at all. You kinda forget about the visuals when you're playing RPGs (at least I do). Maybe saying "didn't appeal to me" isnt the right way to put it. It was good, and I'd love more games like it. I just don't put it up there as "arguably the greatest RPG" like some people think it is.
    With the storyline, I feel as though Cloud's is great, but the story overall as a whole isn't that good. You'll always have your standard "threat to the world", which has been the case in pretty much every Final Fantasy game. But what needs to set them apart is the characters and storylines within that. And the only thing that mattered in FFVII was the story of Cloud finding himself. All the other characters don't really matter or aren't interesting to me. Something like FFVI and FFX had a better ensemble of characters IMO, and were strong enough to break away from the main story arc and keep you engaged for hours on their own (which in FFVI's case you actually did at multiple points in the game).
    Besides Cloud, the only other good character was Sephiroth (and even that is debatable). And while he may have been a good character, I didnt feel he was a great villain. Its hard to hate him when they make him such a cool badass. If this was pro wrestling, fans would be cheering him and he'd have to be turned babyface. Kefka from FFVI is good example of a villain. An asshole with zero redeeming qualities. Aerith may have been worth mentioning if she wasn't dead for more than half of the game.

And then beyond the storylines, the characters in game dont have much variety either. In FFVII, everyone is pretty much the same besides the equipment they can use. You basically decided for yourself what you're going to use each character for, based on the materia you give them. In FFVI, every character had unique abilities, strengths, weaknesses, before you start factoring in the equipment, the espers (kinda like materia), etc. You actually put some thought into your party selection in FFVI. In FFVII you basically go with the three characters with the highest level. Nothing else mattered.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I can only speak for my own experience but it's the best narrative game I've ever played by an absolute mile - gameplay-wise it's nothing special, but the story is just utterly engrossing, or at least was to me as a 14-year old.
    I suppose you would think that about the story if the only game you've got to compare it to is PES 2008.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I didn't care for 8. I've tried several times to get into it over the years; it's just so... bland.

6 and Tactics were the best of the series by my estimation (granted I never played past the PS1 era). 9 was good too just very forgettable.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Soundtrack too.
    It maybe nostalgia, but I prefer the VII soundtrack

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say 9 and 10 are up there as some of the best. It entirely depends on how you're looking at it though. 4 and 5 were fun to play as well, but purely from a gameplay POV and disregarding the storyline. 7 for me was more about the story while the gameplay wasnt as good. 6, 9 and 10 for me a more well rounded games in that respect but none of them had a main character as deep as Cloud and his backstory (Tidus is the only one that comes close).

The one problem with FF6 for me is that you don't really know who the main character is supposed to be. You'd naturally assume its Terra seeing how she's on the cover, and how the story starts with her. But then when you consider the fact that you play (or at least can play) large parts of the game without Terra in your party, you wonder if its someone else (or for you to decide).

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaying Link to the Past and just got through that dreaded ice palace. Biggest difficulty was remembering how to get to that treasure. Falling down a hole to the same room but not reaching it. Then it occurred "Oh you're supposed to throw a bomb to make another hole!"

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't care for 8. I've tried several times to get into it over the years; it's just so... bland.

6 and Tactics were the best of the series by my estimation (granted I never played past the PS1 era). 9 was good too just very forgettable.
    I really need to play Tactics. Not many people have played it, but those who did, say the story was really good.

It maybe nostalgia, but I prefer the VII soundtrack
    After playing FF6, it was hard to me to listen to FF7 and not think of some of the similarities.
    Aerith's theme sounded a bit like Celes' theme. Red XIII's theme reminded me of Gau's theme.

FF7 did have some really good ones though. The Mako Reactor theme is great and one of my personal favourites of all time. I loved the theme that plays over the world map. And One Winged Angel is of course kinda badass, especially when it kicks in during the last fight in Advent Children (I think I enjoyed that movie more than the game).

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VII's got loads of great themes. Still More Fighting (Black Mages cover is excellent too), the Lifestream theme, Anxious Heart, the bombing mission theme, the hurry up themes. The town themes match up great with the graphics and atmosphere too. Nobuo's a genius.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    I really need to play Tactics. Not many people have played it, but those who did, say the story was really good.
    The story and music are great as is the insane level of party customization. It's hard as shit too which makes being victorious extremely rewarding, though playing via emulator and utilizing savestates is an easy way around it if you think it's too difficult.

Yes you need to try it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story and music are great as is the insane level of party customization. It's hard as shit too which makes being victorious extremely rewarding, though playing via emulator and utilizing savestates is an easy way around it if you think it's too difficult.

Yes you need to try it.
    I played the FF Tactic on the GBA (entirely different game), which was fairly easy up until the end. It had a very generic story to it though and not much in terms of customisation. I did enjoy the multiplayer co-op missions in that though.

I also played a bit of the Tactics on the Nintendo DS. But apparently none of them come close to the PSX one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They're fun spin-offs but no, they don't hold a candle to the original.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After playing FF6, it was hard to me to listen to FF7 and not think of some of the similarities.
    Aerith's theme sounded a bit like Celes' theme. Red XIII's theme reminded me of Gau's theme.

FF7 did have some really good ones though. The Mako Reactor theme is great and one of my personal favourites of all time. I loved the theme that plays over the world map. And One Winged Angel is of course kinda badass, especially when it kicks in during the last fight in Advent Children (I think I enjoyed that movie more than the game).
    I never really got that from those songs. I've definitely heard similarities, like a lot of similar instruments, but there weren't really any that directly made me think of a song from the other game. Decent call on the Celes theme, but I didn't get a connection between the Gau theme and Red's theme. Nothing overt, anyway.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never really got that from those songs. I've definitely heard similarities, like a lot of similar instruments, but there weren't really any that directly made me think of a song from the other game. Decent call on the Celes theme, but I didn't get a connection between the Gau theme and Red's theme. Nothing overt, anyway.
    I can sort of see the slight "in the great outdoors" touch but no I don't think they're that similar either. I think the Red/Cosmo Canyon themes come as more peaceful with an air of curiosity about what's going to happen. The Veldt's is pretty catchy but still basic hunting music.

Oh also Gau's theme when he meets his Dad. Yeah I don't think that's similar either.
    Last edited by Badger; February 5th, 2019 at 4:21 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I LOVED the drum beat to The Veldt theme.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVED the drum beat to The Veldt theme.
    Best part about is it plays uninterrupted during battles in the Veldt.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to start plowing through this. Paper Mario has just sucked me in.

Anyway.

Super Mario World 96☆ replay challenge.

-Vanilla Ghost House-

This one is easy as shit with only one exit. Only the giant green bubbles are of any challenge and they can be largely avoided with a spin jump bounce.

-Vanilla Dome 3- (yellow)

This is the one with the skull platform and the lava dinosaur monster things. No real prob here.

The sound in these cave levels is awesome though. The echo effects and music add so much.

-Vanilla Dome 4- (yellow)

Easy as shit. You use the cape and fly from one end to the other.

-Lemmy's Castle-

I loved this one as a kid. The rising and lowering platforms above the lava and all those timed jumps. Simple but fun. I smashed the castle and I'm off to finish the area on top of the mountain.

-Vanilla Secret 2- (yellow)

Easy level with a cape. Hard without. Also there is a 1up secret here. Do you know it? There is a rare gray P-block located a little more than halfway through the level. Get it and take it back to the beginning with the four million koopas. Hit the block to turn then into gray coins. Grabs as many coins as you can and get 30+ lives.

-Vanilla Secret 3- (yellow)

Another easy one with a cape. Hard as fuck without. That blowfish can suck my ass.

-Vanilla Fortress-

Fun little water level but short. Another 1up tip here. The end of the level has two little boney beetle guys walking back and forth in front of the door. You can just float back and forth hopping on them never touching the ground and gain a ton of lives. Though it takes forever.

-Butter Bridge 1- (yellow)

This one was a tough little bastard. Gotta have perfect timing jumping from each sinking platform.

-Butter Bridge 2-

Cape. Flew straight through.

Okay that's it. I'll conquer the bastard that is cheese bridge's secret exit later.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up to 75 exits now. A couple of levels away from the castle on that world.
    I had to use a guide online (hopefully the one and only time) for one of the exits. It was kinda hard to figure out unless you just knew how to do it. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Something I've only just got to appreciate today is how even this late into the game, its introducing new enemies, obstacles, etc. You'd think by now you've pretty much seen everything, and it was just a matter of raising the difficulty as the game progressed.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm up to 75 exits now. A couple of levels away from the castle on that world.
    I had to use a guide online (hopefully the one and only time) for one of the exits. It was kinda hard to figure out unless you just knew how to do it. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Something I've only just got to appreciate today is how even this late into the game, its introducing new enemies, obstacles, etc. You'd think by now you've pretty much seen everything, and it was just a matter of raising the difficulty as the game progressed.
    Where was it?

I think the classic hardest bastard is the cheese bridge one. I know it took me forever to find it when I was a kid. That's why it always sticks out for me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where was it?

I think the classic hardest bastard is the cheese bridge one. I know it took me forever to find it when I was a kid. That's why it always sticks out for me.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm at chocolate island now, and nearly at the castle there. The secret exit was for Chocolate Island 2.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apology accepted

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I'm at chocolate island now, and nearly at the castle there. The secret exit was for Chocolate Island 2.
    I'll look out for that one. Interesting to see if we both get stuck in the same place.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up my first Gamecube with Mario Kart Double Dash for $15, then, a day later, grabbed Mario Sunshine, also for $15.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; February 13th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Picked up my first Gamecube with Mario Kart Double Dash for $15, then, a day later, grabbed Mario Sunshine, also for $15.
    I am King Gamecube of the island of misfit consoles.

If you want to discuss anything cube related or want advice on a game please ask.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am King Gamecube of the island of misfit consoles.

If you want to discuss anything cube related or want advice on a game please ask.
    Is MKDD online still a thing, and if so, how do I get one of these broadband adapters?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is MKDD online still a thing, and if so, how do I get one of these broadband adapters?
    It never was as far as I know. But you could get an LAN adapter and hook up a bunch of tvs in one house and play multiplayer that way.

So yeah Nintendo still thought the Internet was a fad in 2002.
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; February 18th, 2019 at 1:03 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We talked about SMB2 recently and after seeing it pop up on the NES deal on the switch I just played it through for the first time in what's probably been 20 years.

I still love the fuck out of the game.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me you guys loved Toejam & Earl. And PLEASE tell me you don't rabidly hate the second one like some idiots on the internet.

Both are excellent co-op games with an awesome aesthetic. I played them so much as a kid. I'm stoked to check out the new one on the Switch.

I think the first one is the best, but the second one is still a unique platformer that deserves more praise. The third one was pretty pish, but I still had some fun with it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me you guys loved Toejam & Earl. And PLEASE tell me you don't rabidly hate the second one like some idiots on the internet.

Both are excellent co-op games with an awesome aesthetic. I played them so much as a kid. I'm stoked to check out the new one on the Switch.

I think the first one is the best, but the second one is still a unique platformer that deserves more praise. The third one was pretty pish, but I still had some fun with it.
    Never played it. It's on my list.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finally bought a Nintendo 64. I don't think I ever personally owned one but man it brings back memories. And of course the first game I bought was WWF No Mercy. I played it with my 17 year old son and he said that it definitely stood the test of time and lived up to the hype. Seriously, it brought back memories of that 1996-2000 stretch of watching WCW and WWF while playing the shit out of their games on PS1 and N64 with your friends.

I remember even girls wanted in on it or they'd at least be cool and watch. We are probably the generation that truly helped girls feel at home with being massive game nerds. lol.

Bagel
    I've been wanting to get the 64 for awhile but honestly haven't been playing a lot of video games lately. 64 for No Mercy intrigues me, but I don't really know a lot else about the games for the system. Was that the one that had GoldenEye? Used to have a friend who loved that game but I think I was very anti-Nintendo back then for whatever dumb reason. It was Playstation 1 or nothing. On the subject of retro games, I made it to Barnes and Noble today, went browsing for gaming magazines. Used to subscribe to GamePro and Electronic something but could find neither. What caught my eye was a Retro Gaming magazine... but came with like a $16 price tag.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah to offset the fact that nobody buys magazines anymore the average magazine now costs just under 24.95.

Anyway the 64 is def worth it. Plenty of good games for it to justify the purchase. It doesn't have a game library even remotely close to the PSONE but there are still plenty of games that deserve a once through.

Bagel
    If by nobody you mean Smeagol then you got that right. My bathroom is like a library.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    If by nobody you mean Smeagol then you got that right. My bathroom is like a library.
    Well that's better than the other way round.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting to get the 64 for awhile but honestly haven't been playing a lot of video games lately. 64 for No Mercy intrigues me, but I don't really know a lot else about the games for the system. Was that the one that had GoldenEye? Used to have a friend who loved that game but I think I was very anti-Nintendo back then for whatever dumb reason. It was Playstation 1 or nothing. On the subject of retro games, I made it to Barnes and Noble today, went browsing for gaming magazines. Used to subscribe to GamePro and Electronic something but could find neither. What caught my eye was a Retro Gaming magazine... but came with like a $16 price tag.
    Yep Golden Eye was a staple of my teen years lol. Another good game was the first Turok. I never played the others or even the newer version that came out 5-10 years ago. But the first one was just wild. I never owned a 64 so I didn't really get to play a lot of the games but every single one that I have was good to awesome.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all honesty I'd only recommend you get an N64 if you just want to own every home console. All the games that sold the best that were on the N64 are on the Virtual Console at this point. I mean N64s are cheap nowadays, but still the question needs to remain: do you need one? For DK64 you have to buy the Expansion Pak for the N64 otherwise the game will bug out which is the entire reason the Expansion Pak exists. Last one is Pokemon Snap which, for some odd reason, Nintendo hasn't tapped into that gold mine for the Switch yet, seeing as the Switch would be perfect for a game like that...

... Yes, get the Nintendo 64. It has a lot of amazing games mainly from Nintendo and Rareware. Plus, I like cartridges more than Blu-Rays. The controller might be a little wonky if your hands are big but it works really well for the games it has. Get the Nintendo 64 you'll love it. It's worth it, but it will cost you. In gaming most games get cheaper as more time passes, but nostalgia controls the market of demand in a way that makes a lot of old games very expensive sometimes higher than the original price. I'd add up the prices on Amazon and eBay and then decide if it's worth it. If you have a Rareboner then by all means pick up the N64. If not, don't.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me break it down this way....

I spent $100 total. That included the console, plug ins, 1 controller and the total was $60. I bought a 2nd controller for $25 and No Mercy for $12. I also bought my daughter the Android 18 Funko so my total at Jay's was about $115.

I love the Virtual Console on the WiiU but it can only hold so much. Right now I only have Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island or whatever it's called but I also have a shit ton of NES and Super NES games. For me I just like having the actual hardware and if you can find games for the console under $20 you're not going to disappointed.

Bagel
    I looked earlier on Estarland - that's the place I found online that replaces Genesis cartridge batteries. I figured it was easier just to ship this stuff out for repairs than to fuck around doing it (poorly) myself. Anyway, yeah the N64 consoles they have run beyond my ideal price range for it. Got a couple local stores I'll give a look, knowing what you spent kinda sets an expectation. I would never typically pay >$100 for an old console and I may not even buy this. Love the Genesis and NES games a little too much at the moment to think about bringing anything else.

Thinking about getting a bubble hockey dome but gonna have to make room first.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember my mum came home with a couple of random games for my birthday one year. Toejam & Earl: Panic on Funkatron and Flink. Toejam & Earl became one of my favourite games ever and Flink is apparently quite rare and worth like £100 now. Two of her wisest investments.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me break it down this way....

I spent $100 total. That included the console, plug ins, 1 controller and the total was $60. I bought a 2nd controller for $25 and No Mercy for $12. I also bought my daughter the Android 18 Funko so my total at Jay's was about $115.

I love the Virtual Console on the WiiU but it can only hold so much. Right now I only have Mario 64 and Yoshi's Island or whatever it's called but I also have a shit ton of NES and Super NES games. For me I just like having the actual hardware and if you can find games for the console under $20 you're not going to disappointed.
    I mainly wish that we'd get some better console libraries for Nintendo systems. Nintendo has had fewer games available for each console after the Wii; the Wii U failed to bring over Gamecube games, and its libraries were inferior to those on the Wii, while the Switch has only had a few games available so far for emulation. I'm not impressed by Sony not bringing over their classics to the PS4.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked earlier on Estarland - that's the place I found online that replaces Genesis cartridge batteries. I figured it was easier just to ship this stuff out for repairs than to fuck around doing it (poorly) myself. Anyway, yeah the N64 consoles they have run beyond my ideal price range for it. Got a couple local stores I'll give a look, knowing what you spent kinda sets an expectation. I would never typically pay >$100 for an old console and I may not even buy this. Love the Genesis and NES games a little too much at the moment to think about bringing anything else.

Thinking about getting a bubble hockey dome but gonna have to make room first.
    Well keep in mind everything was around $100 including an extra controller and game. The standard N64 console was $60 which again included a controller and all the plug ins.

You know what's cool? The Retro Duo. I bought it on Amazon for $40-50 and it plays NES and Super NES games.

I'll also say if you're into the Genesis, buy that version they have out now with the built-in games. You can also play cartridge games so if you get sick of Mortal Kombat and Sonic and Comix Zone or whatever the fuck, throw in a cartridge of Road Rash 2 or Mutant League Football!

I mainly wish that we'd get some better console libraries for Nintendo systems. Nintendo has had fewer games available for each console after the Wii; the Wii U failed to bring over Gamecube games, and its libraries were inferior to those on the Wii, while the Switch has only had a few games available so far for emulation. I'm not impressed by Sony not bringing over their classics to the PS4.
    I bet a lot of the titles you don't see are mostly not there due to legal issues. Just like with t.v. shows that aren't box sets yet. Like the old 60's Batman show for example took ages to get released because of licensing issues with the fucking music on the show lol.

Plus, you have to think, where are they going to store these games? Some of these games are huge and you can't just have them floating on a server for eternity.

Bagel
    I actually almost bought the preloaded Genesis console but for my brother. Never did, and the more I think of it the more I feel like getting it for myself instead. I think non-Nintendo products were more my thing, especially with how disappointed I felt about the Gamecube, though I still ended up buying a Wii because of some of the games. Though that's the one that gets the least use of all handhelds and consoles I own. I'll give the Retro Duo a look. Not sure I remember seeing this at any point but I probably have. Are the game pre-loaded on the Duo or no?

Well keep in mind everything was around $100 including an extra controller and game. The standard N64 console was $60 which again included a controller and all the plug ins.

You know what's cool? The Retro Duo. I bought it on Amazon for $40-50 and it plays NES and Super NES games.

I'll also say if you're into the Genesis, buy that version they have out now with the built-in games. You can also play cartridge games so if you get sick of Mortal Kombat and Sonic and Comix Zone or whatever the fuck, throw in a cartridge of Road Rash 2 or Mutant League Football!

I bet a lot of the titles you don't see are mostly not there due to legal issues. Just like with t.v. shows that aren't box sets yet. Like the old 60's Batman show for example took ages to get released because of licensing issues with the fucking music on the show lol.

Plus, you have to think, where are they going to store these games? Some of these games are huge and you can't just have them floating on a server for eternity.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was Jay's CD and Hobby (Anytime you're in Des Moines, they have 3 locations, fucking awesome) and I picked up Turok 1 and Superman N64. Turok was a favorite of mine even if the camera annoys the fuck out of me. What I forgot though was Superman N64, #2 worst game of all time on that big ass list a few years back with ET for the Ataria 2600 being #1. I didn't even play the fucker, took it back the next day. Luckily they gave me store credit, usually they won't let you return a game if it actually works, but since it was the first time I'd ever returned ANYTHING in 10 years, they let it slide lol.

The nice thing was I was able to grab the last 3 issues of the 6-part Kings of Fear Batman comic. I haven't bought a comic in about 3 months and I knew I was missing the last 3 recent issues.

Now I'm on a mission to find 3 games for the 64: South Park, WCW/NWO Revenge, and Golden Eye. I always start local then branch out so fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldeneye is one of those games everyone knows they can grt a good price for but hopefully you can find a cheap price on the other two.

Superman 64 really was the worst. As I recall it was barely a game.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldeneye is one of those games everyone knows they can grt a good price for but hopefully you can find a cheap price on the other two.

Superman 64 really was the worst. As I recall it was barely a game.
    Yeah Friday night I was refreshing my memory. Apparently Superman 64 is not only shit, but it's literally an unfinished game.

South Park is a hard one to find. At least for a reasonable price. I'm sure I could search Amazon or even Ebay and find a copy under $15.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can hunt it down, Mischief Makers is a wonderful little oddity for the N64.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    If you can hunt it down, Mischief Makers is a wonderful little oddity for the N64.
    I just looked it up and the images make me think I've either played it or at the very least seen the box.

I never really played much of the N64 library. My circle was mostly Playstation but luckily we had a few buddies who had N64. Even then it was mostly WWF/WCW games, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark I think was another big game we played.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Friday night I was refreshing my memory. Apparently Superman 64 is not only shit, but it's literally an unfinished game.

South Park is a hard one to find. At least for a reasonable price. I'm sure I could search Amazon or even Ebay and find a copy under $15.
    South Park 64 was pretty fun once you beat the first level. Those never-ending turkeys coming at you was annoying as hell. It even had a fun multiplayer, a bit silly but still fun with some ridiculous weapons. I believe there was a ray gun that turned people into cows or something. Big Gay Al was a playable character too, just a funny game from a funny show.
    Last edited by Mr. Boombastic; March 11th, 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Simon
    Bit of a long shot but does anyone remember a game on the original Gameboy where you played as a guy who had a weird blob as his best mate? It was called The Rescue of Princess Blobette and it was so bloody odd. I remember almost nothing about it other than it had a sort of Prince of Persia look to it, but it was more of a puzzle game. A cross between Prince of Persia and Lemmings, except you had to collect different flavours of jelly beans to feed to the blob, which would turn him into various tools to help you along your way. Would love to play it again to see if my brain can make more sense of it than it did when I was 8. From what I can remember I only got through about twenty minutes of it before getting stuck and never getting any further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuf7cdex94

I used to absolutely bloody love the Gameboy. I've said before that I can't remember ever being as immersed in a game as I was with Super Mario Land 2 (I daren't play it again in case it's not as good as I remember and ruins my memories of it) but I used to absolutely love Robocop too, I can still remember the music to this day. What games did you cunts have? I can remember a couple of football games that, in retrospect, were probably quite shit.

The Rosk
    A Boy and his Blob, Si? Had that on the NES. Fun game.

Simon
    Looks like the one I played was a sequel to that, but on the Gameboy instead.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ISS on the SNES was awesome. Especially that Scenario mode.

Simon
    Ahaha remember the one with the corrupt African ref

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sensible Soccer was big back in the day. I personally could never get into it cuz I sucked at it. Mostly because of the awkward dribbling system where you would run in one direction with the ball, and you'd make a turn but the ball still kept going forward without you.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ISS on the SNES was awesome. Especially that Scenario mode.
    Even back then it was miles ahead of FIFA for gameplay.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    Even back then it was miles ahead of FIFA for gameplay.
    Fixed

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahaha remember the one with the corrupt African ref
    please elaborate i do love corruption

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed
    PES is arguably better now despite nearly a decade of inferiority, but that wasn't what I was getting at. My point was that ISS was still superior even when everybody came in their pants for FIFA 98.

Simon
    To be fair I haven't played Pro Evo in a few years and this year's FIFA is absolutely shit (except for clubs which is better than ever) so you might be right. ISS Pro 98 was miles ahead of FIFA 98 for sure, I had endless fun banging in goals with Ronarid, all bald head and blue boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    please elaborate i do love corruption
    It seems so stupid and offensive that I'm actually questioning whether I'm remembering it right, but ISS on SNES had 'scenarios' where you would start the game at a set point in a game and have to complete an achievement. Most of them were just "you're 2-0 down with ten minutes to go in the cup final, score two goals to take it to extra time and then win" or whatever. But one of them was you being behind at half time and down to nine men because the corrupt referee has sent off two of your players for no reason. That bit is 100% right, but I'm pretty sure there was a racist element with it being an African referee. I hope I'm right, because if not I suppose I am the racist for adding that bit on.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sounds amazing. i appreciate it

Bagel
    Every sports game should have a story of officiating corruption in it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 years for this company and my boss bought me this and had his brother put 5500+ games on it:

We have it hooked up in the lobby right now lol. This fucker is LOADED. BTW @Simon, it has your games you're speaking about lol.

Seriously, I think this thing has every NES releases including Japan and Europe versions. Almost every game that was in the arcade from like 1972-1999. No WrestleFest Still....I'll need to win the lotto soon so I can attempt to even look at all the games.

I'm actually really excited to play the NEO GEO games. The only major US consoles I'm not seeing are 3DO and Jaguar but even then I wouldn't say they were MAJOR because not very many owned them. But yeah, I'll be playing a shit ton of games tonight.

Bagel
    11 years for this company
    Is that you Kofi? I'd trade a title shot for that console any day.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that you Kofi? I'd trade a title shot for that console any day.
    LMFAO

Bagel
    Does anyone have the 81-game sega genesis console? I saw a US site advertising it for $29.99. Down $10 from before. Interested more since the price markdown but feeling like I already have enough consoles and games, it's particularly ESwat and Mortal Kombat 2 & 3 that have me interested.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have the 81-game sega genesis console? I saw a US site advertising it for $29.99. Down $10 from before. Interested more since the price markdown but feeling like I already have enough consoles and games, it's particularly ESwat and Mortal Kombat 2 & 3 that have me interested.
    I have the Sonic version. Worth it. You can even play cartridge games and so far I haven't had any issues as I know some games will not work supposedly.

The shitty thing though is 20-30 of those games are like those old school flip phone games like Snake lol. So I guess if you have little ass kids who don't want to play Comix Zone, throw on some pong lol

Bagel
    Thanks man, that's useful information and convincing me to buy it. I saw the cartridge slot but was unsure if it was just a fake-out to stick with a similar design to the Genesis.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 years for this company and my boss bought me this and had his brother put 5500+ games on it:

We have it hooked up in the lobby right now lol. This fucker is LOADED. BTW @Simon, it has your games you're speaking about lol.

Seriously, I think this thing has every NES releases including Japan and Europe versions. Almost every game that was in the arcade from like 1972-1999. No WrestleFest Still....I'll need to win the lotto soon so I can attempt to even look at all the games.

I'm actually really excited to play the NEO GEO games. The only major US consoles I'm not seeing are 3DO and Jaguar but even then I wouldn't say they were MAJOR because not very many owned them. But yeah, I'll be playing a shit ton of games tonight.
    That is fucking dope.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    To be fair I haven't played Pro Evo in a few years and this year's FIFA is absolutely shit (except for clubs which is better than ever) so you might be right. ISS Pro 98 was miles ahead of FIFA 98 for sure, I had endless fun banging in goals with Ronarid, all bald head and blue boots.

It seems so stupid and offensive that I'm actually questioning whether I'm remembering it right, but ISS on SNES had 'scenarios' where you would start the game at a set point in a game and have to complete an achievement. Most of them were just "you're 2-0 down with ten minutes to go in the cup final, score two goals to take it to extra time and then win" or whatever. But one of them was you being behind at half time and down to nine men because the corrupt referee has sent off two of your players for no reason. That bit is 100% right, but I'm pretty sure there was a racist element with it being an African referee. I hope I'm right, because if not I suppose I am the racist for adding that bit on.
    I was trying to find a youtube clip of this because it sounds hilarious. Sadly between the original and the deluxe I can't seem to find this scenario.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is fucking dope.
    So last night I played WrestleFest, Mutant League Football, Centipede, the X-Men arcade game with Dazzler (so dope), La Russo baseball, Paperboy, Donkey Kong, Bases Loaded II, Double Dragon the Arcade version, WWF WrestleMania (Sega Genesis version)......Now obviously I only played a little bit of each but damn it was so dope.

The Rosk
    Is that not just a Raspberry Pi thing?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Bit of a long shot but does anyone remember a game on the original Gameboy where you played as a guy who had a weird blob as his best mate? It was called The Rescue of Princess Blobette and it was so bloody odd. I remember almost nothing about it other than it had a sort of Prince of Persia look to it, but it was more of a puzzle game. A cross between Prince of Persia and Lemmings, except you had to collect different flavours of jelly beans to feed to the blob, which would turn him into various tools to help you along your way. Would love to play it again to see if my brain can make more sense of it than it did when I was 8. From what I can remember I only got through about twenty minutes of it before getting stuck and never getting any further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuf7cdex94

I used to absolutely bloody love the Gameboy. I've said before that I can't remember ever being as immersed in a game as I was with Super Mario Land 2 (I daren't play it again in case it's not as good as I remember and ruins my memories of it) but I used to absolutely love Robocop too, I can still remember the music to this day. What games did you cunts have? I can remember a couple of football games that, in retrospect, were probably quite shit.
    'Football International' was the game I got with the Gameboy. Reviews were dreadful, but I liked it.

Also had 'Goal', I remember it being very hard and ended up only ever figuring out 2 ways to score. The game that caused me to break my first Gameboy. Not good, man.

And Mario Land 2 was amazing. The first game you could save. First one I owned, anyway.

I liked Warioland - Super Mario Land 3 as well, but I don't think it was nearly as popular.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PS1 from 1995 still works. I fire it up occasionally to play CDs or Tony Hawk. I also have my original Dreamcast. Will never get rid of either, both are in my flat somewhere. They were the first things I can consciously identify as being mine.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Seems like it, with a fancy case.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    'Football International' was the game I got with the Gameboy. Reviews were dreadful, but I liked it.

Also had 'Goal', I remember it being very hard and ended up only ever figuring out 2 ways to score. The game that caused me to break my first Gameboy. Not good, man.

And Mario Land 2 was amazing. The first game you could save. First one I owned, anyway.

I liked Warioland - Super Mario Land 3 as well, but I don't think it was nearly as popular.
    I had Kick Off (and my cousin had Tip Off), a basketball game with the exact same engine) and another one where you could do 'special' shits that the goalkeeper couldn't save, mad overhead kicks from the halfway line etc. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    That is exactly what it is. My bad I should have said what the fuck it was called at the start lol.

It even has Virtual Boy games. Then I find out my boss' brother actually only put HALF of the games on this thing that he has. He himself has over 10,000 games.....Fucking wild.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PS1 from 1995 still works. I fire it up occasionally to play CDs or Tony Hawk. I also have my original Dreamcast. Will never get rid of either, both are in my flat somewhere. They were the first things I can consciously identify as being mine.
    It's amazing how long some of this shit lasts. I remember reading that one day the battery backed memories in the old cartridge games would stop working. I was a kid and it kind of freaked me out. I thought they might stop working one day soon.

Well it's been 30 years and the motherfuckers seem to all still work.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont really get those batteries. I've got some carts that run fine, but then I have some newer carts that have dead batteries.

I was going to make a thread about this issue (might still do), where I started to find ways of backup up all my saves for archive purposes. I started this thing recently where I wanted to try and complete as many games as possible and then backup the save file on a computer somewhere, which can be easily transferred to the cart again in case the cart got wiped (battery issue or just general failure).

More on this at a later date.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Donkey Kong Country I got from CEX doesn't save which is apparently due to some sort of battery inside the cartridge being dead. I've never seen a cartridge that just straight up doesn't work anymore though.