Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim...

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And here I was jealous of the PC users for their ability to mod the shit out of the game.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I remember loving the mods in Morrowind when I had that on PC. I finally picked up Skyrim on Friday and have probably got 20 hours of gaming out of it already, getting towards the end of the main quest now. Then I'm going to go exploring a while and do some of the side quests. Then I'll get involved in the Civil War. Not at all fussed about mods.

Only major letdown for me in this game is how shit the horses are. Firstly they're not even that fast, and then the fact that you can't engage in combat while horsed is very silly. So you have to dismount just to fight a wolf. The horses' biggest use is as a companion/weapon. That aside, I adore this game.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    And here I was jealous of the PC users for their ability to mod the shit out of the game.
    You can use the PC mods ont he 360 if you have the right doohickies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was great until this latest patch fucked everything up, and I'm pretty sure the Steam Workshop and how it interacts with the game files has now borked my installation. I have even disabled all mods and the game is still screwed up so it has managed to bugger something permanent. I should have just stuck to downloading stuff manually and sticking it in the Data folder like with Oblivion. I have never had this kind of trouble modding a game until Steam and Bethesda built something to 'do it for you'. It is just completely ridiculous how buggy everything they do is, especially Bethesda. The current patch had a known bug they found in public beta testing and now it's still there despite it making the game unplayable with mods for a large number of people. How does that even occur? FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangers View Post
    Yeah, I remember loving the mods in Morrowind when I had that on PC. I finally picked up Skyrim on Friday and have probably got 20 hours of gaming out of it already, getting towards the end of the main quest now. Then I'm going to go exploring a while and do some of the side quests. Then I'll get involved in the Civil War. Not at all fussed about mods.

Only major letdown for me in this game is how shit the horses are. Firstly they're not even that fast, and then the fact that you can't engage in combat while horsed is very silly. So you have to dismount just to fight a wolf. The horses' biggest use is as a companion/weapon. That aside, I adore this game.
    Yeah the horses are terrible. You can make them a bit faster by holding down the sprint button while riding, but it's still not great, and of course there is no mounted combat, another completely ridiculous omission that makes riding around the countryside a real hassle. I've had to mod my horses to make them run fast enough that wolves don't catch up and just eat them by the legs while I slowly, slowly clamber off them and wait to be allowed to raise my weapon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    You can use the PC mods ont he 360 if you have the right doohickies.
    This sounds fantastic but I'm assuming I need a modded XBox?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When's v1.5 coming out again? I want my archery killcams!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.5 is out already. Don't get it! It has completely fucked my game and now no mods work and it looks like Minecraft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you on PS3 or 360?

Alf
    This sounds fantastic but I'm assuming I need a modded XBox?
    Yep, you need a jtag'd xbox.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Are you on PS3 or 360?
    PC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hate Steam, so, so much. Aside from it having been a bloaty, sluggish piece of crap for years (though lately I will admit it has become much more manageable) no matter what kind of machine I used it on, it has a nasty habit of completely ignoring my settings or forgetting that I have used it on that machine or connection before and demanding that I verify myself. The most annoying issue is that it will ignore my commands to not fucking install a fucking patch automatically and this has twice caused Skyrim to be fucking fucked. 1.5 has led to graphical glitches all over the place, and I had to sign up to the Steam Forum to discuss them, which required a lot of jumping through hoops to prove who I am, and some 18 hours later I'm still not activated and sitting in the mod queue. And the thread I was going to reply to, that described the exact problem I had, has been deleted with no explanation whatsoever. Fuck them and the fucking shitty slow glitchy can't-let-you-fight-on-it Skyrim horse they rode in on.

Obviously all the swearing is for emphasis, but really, I am sick of Steam and Valve. It takes so much damn work to enjoy Skyrim at this point, with the constant crashing and the constant fighting with Steam to not fuck the game up, and the Workshop somehow has made mods a nightmare that eats into my gaming time rather than extending the life of the game, and their support forums just seem to exist as a trial to make sure you really, really feel like getting the game running again.
    The_Mike Presents: Death and Wrestling

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hate Bethesda for being completely unable to release a game that's not full of shit that needs fixing so that they can make the leaves on the top of the tree on the mountain 7 minutes away blow in the wind if you look really close.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Steam.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So since buying this eight days ago, I've played 66 hours. That's over a quarter of the total available hours in my life. Seriously can't put this down. Main quest is done (final battle way too easy) so now I'm cracking on with College of Winterhold/other shit. Still haven't committed to Imperial or Stormcloak yet, so all that still to come. I'm going to be an absolute monster by the time I get to those. Think Sauron in the flashback bit at the start of Fellowship.

Like this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come at me, bro.
    Pittsburgh, PA - City of Champions
    Pittsburgh Panthers - 1916, 1915, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
    Pittsburgh Pirates - 1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
    Pittsburgh Steelers - IX, X, XII, XIV, XL, XLIII
    Pittsburgh Penguins - 1991, 1992, 2009

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    Hate Bethesda for being completely unable to release a game that's not full of shit that needs fixing so that they can make the leaves on the top of the tree on the mountain 7 minutes away blow in the wind if you look really close.
    Same. Also hate Steam for taking over 24 hours to activate my forum account and still not getting around to it, just so I can agree with somebody who has had the exact same technical problem I've had and has been given completely useless advice that won't fix it.

So since buying this eight days ago, I've played 66 hours. That's over a quarter of the total available hours in my life. Seriously can't put this down. Main quest is done (final battle way too easy) so now I'm cracking on with College of Winterhold/other shit. Still haven't committed to Imperial or Stormcloak yet, so all that still to come. I'm going to be an absolute monster by the time I get to those. Think Sauron in the flashback bit at the start of Fellowship.

Like this:
    Sadly you won't really get to indulge in that kind of ass kicking much, even in the Civil War missions. Sometimes you get to storm a fort but it always felt (to me at least) like they were pretty sparsely populated. I really felt Oblivion had far more epicness and giant set pieces. Your mileage may vary though, and your route through those missions, so hopefully you have fun.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't even decided which camp to side with yet. I think I'm leaning towards Stormcloaks because Ulfric seems like a legend and I think that Tullius guy is a bit of a cock. It's personality politics, people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with Ulfric, but (spoilers for the story, obviously, so ignore if you don't want to know anything going in):

Still waiting on Steam activating my forum account...

Alf
    All of the bethesda games are sparsely populated really. But I did have a few epic fights where I just carved through them like butter with my one handed axe with the awesome batman-esque nightingale armor on. Felt like a fucking badass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting on my Steam forum account, and if I want to contact their technical support people, I have to create a brand new account for that thing as well, and the regular Steam account and Steam forum account won't work.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's too make it harder for phishers who might get your account to pose as you.

I don't think it's that big of a deal.

You did confirm your email though right?

Never heard of a forum account taking this long. I can post your question if you want.

Or you should make a tech support account and ask them about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a huge deal, I'm just moaning because I seemingly have to jump through hoops every single time I try to deal with anything on Steam. It was a culmination of things that really grated. I did confirm my email, I am just still waiting in the moderation queue. Thanks for the offer, but my question has already been posted a few times by various people, so fortunately it's a known bug. Essentially I'm getting really weird blockiness throughout much of the screen when playing, ever since upgrading to 1.5. Some suggest verifying the game files (done) and reinstalling one's video card drivers (done) but neither of those issues seem to help and it started immediately on the first 1.5 patch. All I was trying to do was weigh in that I have the same issue too and the people who keep insisting "verify your cache, you fucking n00b" are not helping.

I would have tried the Bethesda forums but when I went their sign-up form was actually broken. It wasn't a good day for me. I think I'll try again though, and at least keep an eye out in both places to see if anybody has a fix or if Bethesda will at least acknowledge the problem.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, who's the most annoying character in Skyrim? Barbas, Cicero, Clavicus Vile? Someone else?

My vote goes to Cicero. What an absolute fuckstain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you completed all the Dark Brotherhood quests? There are certain options that makes Cicero somewhat worthwhile. Useful, at least.

To me the most annoying character by far was Lydia. She kept getting in my way, kept snarking at me whenever she'd run into my arrows, kept knocking things over when I was trying to steal shit stealthily from a house, and generally had a pissy attitude with all her withering sarcasm. At least her death was spectacular, she ran right into one of my shouts and was hurled down a deep shaft, never to be seen again.
    Last edited by The_Mike; April 6th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Lydia didn't really have time to become annoying, she got killed by a Frost Troll pretty quickly.

I'm doing the DB quests at the moment, and while I'm sure he serves a purpose, he is still an annoying little fuckface.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So, who's the most annoying character in Skyrim? Barbas, Cicero, Clavicus Vile? Someone else?

My vote goes to Cicero. What an absolute fuckstain.
    Any follower that follows you into a narrow room and decides to park in the doorway. Especially the ones that have the nerve to yell "Watch it!" when you're forced to charge into them to get them the hell out of the way.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually FUS DO RAH them out of the way, it's quicker.

Alf
    Cicero is a cunt

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is indeed. A dead cunt, now.

So two weeks in and my play time is up to a hefty 115 hours ish. I reckon the sun is setting on this play through, once I've done the Thieves Guild I'll have done the Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, College of Winterhold, Companions, Main Quest and of course a whole bunch of side quests. I would like to go and get all the Dragon Priest masks (currently have 4) and all the shouts so I will probably do that also, as well as the remaining Daedric artefacts.

The only problem with doing it the way I've done things this time around is it makes no sense from a character point of view - depends how much this sort of shit bothers you. Like, having completed the main quest (and maybe the civil war), why would I be fucking around with the pricks in the Thieves Guild? I should basically just sit in a big throne while women suck me off all day. Wouldn't make much of a game, admittedly, but now my character has the feeling of a former hero who's now broken down and taking anything he can get just to get by, like Mike Tyson.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cicero has some good equipment on him, too bad you have to look like a court jester if you want to take advantage of it though.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm sure there's a mod for that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope the next mod you dl turns out to be a crippling virus.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am taking my sweet time with this game, and loving it. Just spent the last couple days doing Dark Brotherhood stuff, and I'm the leader of mages and thieves. Now it might be time to do more of the miscellaneous quests, a couple weeks ago I did nothing but them. Not sure where I am in relation to the main quest, but in no real rush. I find the game almost therapeutic, where I'm happy to just go mining or whatever.

I know there's bugs and crashes and whatnot, but I really feel like I get my monies worth from these games by Bethesda.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's a wonderful game. But my biggest complaint is how easy (and boring as a result) it is once you reach a certain level, which is inevitable considering all the missions.

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I suppose so. I thought that there was some 'levelling' to the bad guys too as you went up in stats, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Still thoroughly enjoy going back to previous places I found rock hard and dominating them. There was a random hagraven who just wouldn't let me pass her on the road, even when crouching, so when I was able to go back and decapitate the bitch I had a huge smile on my face.

And every so often something happens that I feel is so personal, everyone I know who has this plays it differently, so even though we are all doing DB or TG quests noone is doing it in the same way. Only last night I had two dragons attack me at once and I just got over-run by them. It was manic, and class.

I still have to bring my ps3 to my parents to use their internet to update to 1.5. Looking forward to new kill animations and in particular archery cam-kills! And hopefuly then I'll be able to find the treasure maps chests. They don't seem to be there for me currently; do you know is this a common complaint?

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always found that I would be God like for a few levels and then struggle for a bit before regaining God status for a few more levels.

I need to get back into this, I haven't played it for ages.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I effectively finished my first play through at the back end of last week, 150 hours down after three weeks and having completed all the major quest lines and a lot of the miscellaneous ones. I've gone to do a run through of Red Dead Redemption for a bit, then I might pick up Arkham City or Uncharted 3 or something. I'll definitely come back and do another run, as per my earlier comment about feeling like a washed up loser doing run and fetch missions for the Thieves Guild AFTER saving the world, I think I'm likely to build up to the main quest. Basically they should've made Alduin MUCH harder to defeat, and you should need to collect all the Dragon Priest masks to do it or something. That would've made the whole main quest feel a lot more epic, for my money.

Either way, 150 hours of game time is already excellent value for money, especially for a single player game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Collin View Post
    I always found that I would be God like for a few levels and then struggle for a bit before regaining God status for a few more levels.

I need to get back into this, I haven't played it for ages.
    I found that when playing Oblivion, though as time went on the gaps between godlike status seemed to get broader and broader because the enemies were scaling in such a way that even the average bandit always had better weapons and armour than I did. This time around, it seems to me like level doesn't matter at all, some enemies (even very powerful spectres in dungeons) drop dead with one or two arrows to the back, and then a minute later a bandit or draug will require a good dozen arrows pumped into them. Some of these enemies are just randomly harder than the dragons.

I effectively finished my first play through at the back end of last week, 150 hours down after three weeks and having completed all the major quest lines and a lot of the miscellaneous ones. I've gone to do a run through of Red Dead Redemption for a bit, then I might pick up Arkham City or Uncharted 3 or something. I'll definitely come back and do another run, as per my earlier comment about feeling like a washed up loser doing run and fetch missions for the Thieves Guild AFTER saving the world, I think I'm likely to build up to the main quest. Basically they should've made Alduin MUCH harder to defeat, and you should need to collect all the Dragon Priest masks to do it or something. That would've made the whole main quest feel a lot more epic, for my money.

Either way, 150 hours of game time is already excellent value for money, especially for a single player game.
    Agreed on all counts. I was pretty disappointed with the main quest, especially since Alduin was so easy to dispatch. He was basically a regular dragon with a slightly longer health bar. Still, I've put about 120 hours into this game, so that's about 50c an hour of entertainment. Even if a handful of those hours have been marred by annoying crashes and glitches, it has still worked out at much better value than the average game out there these days, and I can see myself putting a lot more time in once a few big-time mods are out.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem with doing it the way I've done things this time around is it makes no sense from a character point of view - depends how much this sort of shit bothers you. Like, having completed the main quest (and maybe the civil war), why would I be fucking around with the pricks in the Thieves Guild? I should basically just sit in a big throne while women suck me off all day. Wouldn't make much of a game, admittedly, but now my character has the feeling of a former hero who's now broken down and taking anything he can get just to get by, like Mike Tyson.
    Yeah I remember feeling like that in Vice City when you need to go and deliver pizza to people in order to 100% the game after you've already got Tommy Vercetti to the level where he's the crime boss for the whole city.

Started thinking about picking up Skyrim. Is it easy to get into if you've not got any knowledge of the series/genre? Also, does the PS3 version have any of the graphical issues which seem to have plagued the PC version?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know PS3 was the worst hit?

I had no knowledge of Elder Scrolls and am a legendary RPG hater and I adore Skyrim. Go for it.
    You know what I like? Arrested Development.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it is definitely quite easy to get into Skyrim without knowing the lore. A quick look over a Wiki will give you the info on what happened in the previous games but Skyrim is so far removed from them that it's not important to know, and you learn a lot organically as you move through the landscape and the main quests. Last I heard the PS3 was the most glitchy version, though, due to the memory issue that will make it eventually chug at a really low framerate. Not sure how badly that affects people now though.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Play Dark Souls instead.

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beefy: I'm on ps3and have no big problems. The usual stuff - like in their other games - where it will occasionally freeze; but I've had no real lagging. I think all the patches they've released seem to have sorted out the problem. My save files are up to 13mb and are fine, where 10mb was meant to be the point of desperate lagging.

And I never played a game until the last one, Oblivion, and don't think I've missed out on much because of it.

I reckon you should get it. Great value for money - if you have the time to put into it.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play Dark Souls instead.
    I agree with this. Skyrim was absorbing for a bit as a world to explore but ultimately a disappointing experience as a game. Combat is woeful and makes up the main part of the game. Everything else is fiddly window dressing and the game is let down massively by this fundamental flaw. There are other issues (permanent mission or game-glitching bugs for example) but that is the main one.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Started thinking about picking up Skyrim. Is it easy to get into if you've not got any knowledge of the series/genre? Also, does the PS3 version have any of the graphical issues which seem to have plagued the PC version?
    I played on PS3 and had very few issues. I think twice it crashed.

As for knowledge of the series, it's irrelevant. It's not like one linear story, it's kind of like dipping into a vast history at various interesting/important points in that history. It would be like having game one in the series be the Battle of Hastings, then the next one being the Wars of the Roses. I played Morrowind back to front and there are occasional allusions to it, in books or little things people mention that gave me a little nostalgic feeling but nothing crucial whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus reading all the in-game books to get a general sense of the history is kinda cool.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got back into this in a major way last weekend. I am rolling with a mage this time around and I still need to do the DB and TG missions. At the moment I am liberating Skyrim from the evil empire.

I love luring a dragon or giant to a Stormcloak fort and letting my buddies do the killing for me.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm due to start a new game soon, possibly this weekend. Looking forward to trying things a bit differently, I was very much a sword and shield sort of character first time out, although I did use destruction and healing spells from time to time as well. I barely even went near Enchanting or Alchemy, so I'd like to take the time to understand how to enhance those skills. It all just seems so time consuming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been getting back into this as well, after I finally got it to stop crashing. I'm enjoying taking my time with the Thieves Guild, doing odd jobs for them as I rebuild their reputation and taking on whatever sidequests might be along the journey. I worry that my extensive mods have managed to bugger the game up a little bit though - I'm suddenly unable to mount a horse, time doesn't pass when I fast travel and when I'm indoors I usually have to use magic to see anything because it's so gloomy. I've turned off any mods that I could conceive of being responsible (and weirdly these glitches just started randomly after I hadn't installed any new mods for a while), but the problems persist. I've been thinking of starting a new game with a new character and I'm wondering what mods everybody else is using. I'm thinking of trying to cultivate some kind of medieval Batman character - an obscenely wealthy recluse who fights crime and necromancy under the guise of a super hero. Any ideas on what kind of mods might suit that? There are a few nice mansions I see, for one, and I'd be interested in knowing if anybody else has tried to set up a particular kind of character to roleplay with.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on the PS3, so no mods. I'm on my first run through this now, and first run through any game like it really, so I'm pretty green. I did the college of Winterhold missions all the way through and seem to be a decent mage at this point, although my archery skill is still higher than anything else and my one handed battle skill is pretty decent too. I wonder if I've missed something by creating more of a well rounded character when everyone seems to specialise from what I've read and heard from friends. I've done various side caverns and some work for the female Jarl in Solitude as well. The mission with the Wolf Queen was fairly challenging.

In terms of the main mission:

I don't think I'm very far along in the main quest and I don't really care. I just enjoy getting involved in random shit as I run into it and effing people up that get in my way. I'm normally the type to just try and speed through the main campaign in a game but the combination of my gameplaying style starting to change and this game being so deep has meant that I'm just fine rambling along, getting caught up in this and that all the time without always advancing the main storyline.

It's a great game. I'm quite enjoying it.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are most of the way through the main story.

I agree the best part of this game is just walking the world and exploring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do come across some of the most amazing things while just wandering around. I love coming across the Thalmor transporting a prisoner, which usually leads to me freeing them but gives my mind a good workout as I figure out a strategy to get it done efficiently. Once I botched it and shot the prisoner instead. Oops. Also, a couple of days ago I was wandering around Riverwood looking for an axe (long story) and came across a rock that the sun was striking and its surface appeared to be moving. "Great," I thought, "another glitch"... then I looked at it up close and found it was crawling with hundreds of ants. The little details in the game are amazing, and the modding community is only making it better.

I wouldn't worry about being a well rounded character, the level scaling of the enemies will generally keep you from having too much to deal with. I'm at level 45 and have just about maxed out my assassin/thief related skills, and I keep getting mauled in close combat because my melee skills are pitiful. Also because at level 45 a shitty bandit takes five arrows to die, but it's a bit better than Oblivion where eventually even a mud crab was nearly invincible. You've probably set yourself up well if you can deal with a variety of situations. It's fun trying to stick to a certain playstyle, though, because now I really do need to rely on my stealth and speed to get away with any kind of attack.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True dat. I tried to be a pure mage but I have found myself using a sword more and more. It is good to have a variety of ways to kill things.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up an ebony war axe that is boss. I can really mess people up with that while still wielding my magic in the other hand.

I'm a bit surprised that I'm most of the way through, I feel like I've spent far more time on side missions than the main narrative but that's probably just due to the sheer volume of side missions I get involved with. It doesn't really matter anyway since there will still be a million things to do once I finish up that main quest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's usually the case with Elder Scrolls games... it's not so much the destination but the journey.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving the kill cams for the magic deaths. I just ice spiked some Forsaken punk in the arse and got a lovely replay of it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes you feel very vulnerable again, starting over. Got used to being able to fuck everything up pretty easily, getting used to being more tactical again is hard work. Decided to start off doing the College quests since I want to be a badass mage, which was a bad idea. So...many...Chaurus...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer for Dawnguard, the upcoming add-on:

Looks like they've added horsed combat. About time, shocking that it needed an expansion pack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like being a vampire is going to be pretty badass. Good - I'm tired of saving the world, collecting tons of powerful artefacts, and still feeling like a simple grunt. And it's nice to see crossbows and mounted combat, at long last. Impressive looking DLC so far.

My Skyrim has been getting weird lately. I'm following the College of Winterhold questline and it keeps fucking things up. I enter buildings in the college and there's no floor, I enter dungeons and the walls randomly vanish, I come across enemies who have no collision detection (but can still kill me even if I can't hit them), and I get CTDs constantly. I checked and it's not a mod issue or my game files needing verified, so I don't know what is going on. It's only when doing stuff related to the college as well. I'm probably just going to skip most of the missions at this point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out that mounted combat is actually in the 1.6 patch, so you don't have to wait for the DLC. 1.6 beta is available already on Steam.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    So...

I got bored of splattering everything with my Battlemage Redguard so I decided to try something different for a while, I created a Khajiit Ranger and decided to wander the world looking for cool shit and easter eggs etc.

My love for Skyrim is now even greater due to one thing.... Wabbajack!

Seriously if you havn't done the quest yet, do it now, my Khajiit did it at level 3 so it's easy to do, go to Solitude talk to weird old bloke, follow quest markers, easy.

Lads it's bloody marvelous

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where abouts is this weird old bloke? Is it the beggar? I'm looking for new stuff to do.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    He's near the entrance to the Palace when I found him, he looks like an old servant with a ratty beard and grey (bald) hair (according to the wiki you can listen to rumors at the winking skeever to find him) he's called Dervenin

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wabbajack is hilariously good fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main save seems hopelessly messed up now, constant CTDs and Shadowmere has turned into a rock I cannot mount. I have a bunch of saves along the line but it would take ages to go back through them to see where and when I can get back to normalcy, then I'd at least have to do the entire Mage's College questline again. Thinking of starting over and I have been testing out the Alternative Start mod, which provides some great options for setting up a variety of new characters. You can start off as a vampire with your own lair, a merchant with your own home, an outlaw with a serious bounty on your head, all sorts of things. I'd recommend it to anybody looking to start fresh, since it takes some of the sting out of it by giving you something of a background already, even if you do start at level 1. Avoids the whole opening sequence too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't remember if I brought this up already, but I've been playing Morrowind using the Morrowind Overhaul mod package. It really brings out the beauty of the game's environment. I now appreciate more the pretty big difference in the three regions we've seen rendered in 3D. Morrowind is very other-worldly, with a lot of weird trees, plants and creatures, built on areas that are quite marshy much of the time. Cyrodill is a relatively flat plain with a lot of grasses all over. Skyrim's rocky, icy and mountainous. Looking forward to seeing them blended together in ESO, though as ever I wish it wasn't bloody online. MMOs are really not my cup of tea.

Also I finally found a mod that fixes Morrowind's combat so it works more like Skyrim and Oblivion, so now the game's actually playable. After getting rid of that albatross and updating the graphics, it's actually very enjoyable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never having played Morrowind, what was so bad about the combat?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combat was based on chance-to-hit, not collision detection, so you could fire a bow at somebody's face two inches from their nose and miss fifteen times because your marksman skill sucks, or you slash and slash and slash at a mudcrab crawling over your toes and it eats you because you never hit it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I briefly played Morrowind recently and I didn't even make it out of the little port town before quitting because I was attacked by this ridiculous slug that chased me relentlessly and would not die.

Alf
    Morrowind is incredible. With the right mods it can trump most modern games.

I love how it is all so wierd and varied. There's a billiosn millions things to do too. I bloody love it.

It's a shame my laptop is so wang. I'd love to play it properly with all those lovely mods.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Morrowind blew my mind when I played it, I lost days just wandering around, then I found Umbra and spent days wandering around slaughtering things

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody on the 360 got Dawnguard yet? I'm a bit peeved that we don't even have a PC/PS3 release date yet, and rumour has it that we're looking at mid-to-late August. There's just no need for that bullshit.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't forget to vote pc in the poll

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i knew you'd forget

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of memory error!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawnguard just launched on PC today, with no warning apparently. Not got it yet myself, and might sit tight for a while since I've heard it doesn't add much other than crossbows and a decentish quest. Anybody else tried it?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It adds vampires. If you don't buy it you can't reenact your favorite twilight scenes.

I stopped playing Skyrim a while ago and don't feel like picking it back up right now. I've been playing a lot of Team Fortress 2, a little bit of Orcs Must Die 2 and Batman Arkham City.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually vampires are in vanilla Skyrim, they just are given a bit more to do in Dawnguard. With the workshop offering extensive vampire mods, though, I don't really see what's to be gained. I'm probably only going to be interested once we wind up with good mods that require the expansion, unless I hear good things from other players.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    Dawnguard just launched on PC today, with no warning apparently. Not got it yet myself, and might sit tight for a while since I've heard it doesn't add much other than crossbows and a decentish quest. Anybody else tried it?
    It's ok. It makes it so that being a vampire isn't a total handicap and there are actually some decent benefits to it now. I have kind of lost interest again though and I haven't even finished the new campaign yet, and that's not even mentioning that I have another play-through to do eventually on the Dawnguard's side.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new DLC is coming out next week (360 only for now, because fuck you if you want consumer products to actually cater to consumers), called Hearthfire. Essentially you get to build your own house and adopt children. It doesn't sound thrilling, really, particularly when there's already a mod for building your house and the two children cloned throughout Skyrim have the emotional depth of a teaspoon. With Dawnguard being fairly lackluster as well, I can't help but worry a bit. Still, it's not as if I haven't got a stupid amount of quests and mods to play around with already.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    How...

Dull.

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have enjoyed the house building if it was free, but I play on ps3 and Bethesda hates us
    Children = meh.

Still peeved we haven't got Dawnguard as the crossbow looked deadly!

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    A new DLC is coming out next week (360 only for now, because fuck you if you want consumer products to actually cater to consumers), called Hearthfire. Essentially you get to build your own house and adopt children. It doesn't sound thrilling, really, particularly when there's already a mod for building your house and the two children cloned throughout Skyrim have the emotional depth of a teaspoon. With Dawnguard being fairly lackluster as well, I can't help but worry a bit. Still, it's not as if I haven't got a stupid amount of quests and mods to play around with already.
    The fact that there's a mod out is irrelevant because XBOX 360 users do not have access to mods. That being said though I wonder why they even bothered with this. I'll pass.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    It looks absolute shit. Skyrim: The Sims Edition.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Buy Dark Souls instead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that there's a mod out is irrelevant because XBOX 360 users do not have access to mods. That being said though I wonder why they even bothered with this. I'll pass.
    It's not irrelevant, because they are planning on releasing it on the PC and my main point was that they've cribbed something made by one of their own customers. It's not like Bethesda are pushing the boat out creatively here. Obviously 360 users would like the option for a little expansion, though.

Also, PS3 might not get any DLC at all, ever. Hooray!

Alf
    Yeah, the whole PS3 thing has been shambolic from the start. I might even trade in my ps3 copy now and just give up. I can;t get back into it anyway and the DLC looks boring.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Buy Dark Souls instead.

This is pretty much what I decided on, now I just have to find it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been getting back into this lately. There's just a crazy amount of content in there, and I'm almost done with the achievements with still a pretty enormous list of quests to get through and mods to play around with. I have been gradually crafting my own house (without having to pay for the privilege) and hoarding gems and stuff just because. I have about a 250,000 gold coins and sod all to spend it on. Anyone found anything interesting to do with their money, or any solid quest mods?

Also, this:

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In typical Bethesda fashion the DLC is probably a waste of time and arguably pretty poor value compared to the price of the full game. This seems like a Minecraft bandwagon jump.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While Bethesda offer pretty pointless DLC, here's what modders are doing:

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched one of the videos and it had Oblivion stuff there! Modding is something I have no idea how to do, but by God is it impressive!
    Man, the music alone brought me back... Oblivion was quality.
    Never played Morrowind, feel like I should get round to it; but my laptop prob couldnt handle it.
    Still, these are mightily impressive - they've made the game look beautiful too. Can modding permanently alter/damage/affect gameplay?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your laptop was made after 2003 and it can probably handle it. The original Morrowind's pretty old. The game originally did look pretty beautiful, this is basically just making its original look HD, which says a lot for the art style of the proper game. I loved the setting of Morrowind, would love to be able to go back with Skyrim's mechanics and physics. Hopefully this means Skyrim will have legs and keep providing a heck of a lot of fun, even if it's almost a year old already.

I just hit level 50 there, and have got almost all the achievements on Steam. The stuff to do is endless. I just wish the NPCs had a bit of depth to them - I've lost two wives but I don't really care because they were interchangeable extras, and they were next to useless.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I had one experience with Morrowind and it was terrible. That stupid little swamp bug thing at the very beginning outside of the port town. I had created a thief type and my melee was incredibly weak, on top of the fact that there is zero hit detection in Morrowind. I foolishly saved during my attempt to escape because I got tired of running from it. It would not go away and I could not kill it. Ridiculous.

Alf
    There is hit detection, they just fooloshly tied it to the skill. So unless you melee skills were decent then you don't hit.

It's an incredible game once you get going though.

I'm trading in Skyrim. I'm utterly bored with it, and all the PS3 shenanigans have been wank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudcrabs are little bastards. Morrowind's combat system was atrocious, but mods fix that and it's quite a testament to the rest of the game that it was still so popular and beloved. There's so much more to do than waggle your sword about.

Courier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://ie.ign.com/videos/2012/11/05/...rn-dlc-trailer

Man this looks a good'un.

Been a while since I played Skyrim (went back to Fallout New Vegas to play all the DLC I hadn't played) but that video makes me want to get back into it.

BUT I still can't help but feel somewhat cheated as a ps3 owner. I don't want to start a ps3 v 360 v pc war but I am disappointed that there seems to be little or no effort being made by Sony or Bethesda to fix this. I know they released a statement saying they were working on it, but not a peep since. I would hope that as a sign of good faith, we get reduced prices for the dlc if/when it finally comes out.

Hearthfire looked meh, but Dawnstar and this look class.