Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    40 years ago he thought that, but while riding to work on the train since he's realized reading the newspaper is a lot better.
    Makes you wonder what he actually wrote on that newspaper....

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skyscraper - 7/10. I expected cheesy, I got cheesy, and it really wasn't terrible. Wasn't great either, but I'd put it well above the last Rock movie I saw, which was Rampage. Skyscraper had decent fight scenes, special effects that weren't fake looking, and the action was far-fetched enough to keep me watching. I did enjoy the final few minutes. An interesting take on a fun house mirror kind of situation.

Side note: I'd really like to see Pablo Schreiber get some more leading roles. He was very, very good on his SVU arc and I thought he was fantastic in Den of Thieves. He's a tall dude who seems like he can be built like a brick shithouse and definitely needs some action roles.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overlord was fun. I liked the slow build in the beginning of the film, with some solid character development. It wasn't anything spectacular, but overall a lot of fun and worth the rent.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit, you guys. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse". Holy shit. Incredible.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just watched it last night. Fantastic Spider-Man movie. I’d love for them to do another one that crosses with Spider-Man 99, Ben Riley, and 90s animated spidey.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Star Is Born - 11/10. Wow, what a film. Incredibly well done from beginning to end. Lady Gaga did an amazing job acting, I thought. I didn’t expect much from her acting-wise and I was extremely surprised at how well she did. Bradley Cooper, this may have been his best role I’ve seen him in, even better than in Burnt. I found myself forgetting I was watching Gaga and Cooper and was completely immersed in the film. Fantastic music too, from both of them. I know I’m late seeing it but I can’t recommend it enough.

Green Book- 8/10. Another very well acted movie. The Oscar for Ali was well deserved but I thought that Mortenson did a better job. The movie was humorous enough but serious when it needed to be. Highly recommend seeing it.

Triple Frontier - 6/10. Not bad but not as good as I had hoped. Worth watching if there’s nothing else on. Oscar Isaac did a good job but Oscar Isaac always does a good job. The movie started out strong but fell off over the last 20-30 minutes. Disappointing ending.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us was pretty good. Way up on the suspense and psychologically thrills in a lot of areas. It definitely lends itself to driving conversation and likely more than one viewing. I think it's heavily weighted by expectation and hope. Going in with that in mind, I wasn't disappointed.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us - 9/10 for me. Went in thinking it was gonna be a really good slasher flick and it was just sooooo much more. Fantastic.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple Frontier needed like 15-20 minutes trimmed and it would have gone up a solid point or two for me. There felt like too much fluff there.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Skyscraper - 7/10. I expected cheesy, I got cheesy, and it really wasn't terrible. Wasn't great either, but I'd put it well above the last Rock movie I saw, which was Rampage. Skyscraper had decent fight scenes, special effects that weren't fake looking, and the action was far-fetched enough to keep me watching. I did enjoy the final few minutes. An interesting take on a fun house mirror kind of situation.

Side note: I'd really like to see Pablo Schreiber get some more leading roles. He was very, very good on his SVU arc and I thought he was fantastic in Den of Thieves. He's a tall dude who seems like he can be built like a brick shithouse and definitely needs some action roles.
    I just watched this one the other day as well. It was The Rock vs A building. And Rock won.

Well played Rock...well played.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creed II - 5/10. Middle of the road film for me, and a bit uneven. First 1/2-2/3 wasn't very good. Boring, predictable, just not fun to watch. I was close to shutting it off when it picked back up. The seemingly required boxing/training montage was pretty good and the final fight against Drago's son was really, really well done. It didn't exactly make up for the first part of the movie but it made it watchable, not that I'd watch it again.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downsizing

I enjoyed this plenty. It was an interesting sci-fi concept and they dove into it in a very sensical way regarding the effect it would have on the world and how businesses/society would react, while also keeping the story incredibly personal to Matt Damon's character and taking him on a journey I didn't see coming with very unexpected twists and turns. It was a very odd movie and it worked for me.

Too bad it got middling reviews and flopped at the box office. This movie felt very different and while I can see how many didn't like it, I found it refreshing and interesting.

Christoph Waltz was good in it as well.

7.9/10

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finally watched Captain Marvel the other day. It wasn't amazing but it was good enough. Very similar to Cap or Iron Man's first flick, just introducing the character, explaining how they became who they are, and giving them their first thing to overcome to accept their role as a hero. Only real complaint was it felt a bit rushed, she seemed to go from 0 to 60 real quick once she got her shit together in the latter part of the film. But now I'm more bummed she was barely in Endgame and would really like to see more of her going forward.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the new Pet Sematary. Really let down because I had heard good things. But the whole movie was in such a rush to get to the dead kid part and then when it got there was in a huge rush to be over.

Blemishes everywhere. Judd and The doc don't become good friends or spend much time at all together so every bit of Judd's presence just feels like they needed an old man to drop story info once or twice. Which wasnt enough. (Why is it bad to bury people up there? Who knows? Well Judd probably but no time for a story and one scene to explain it. Get to the dead kid!)

The doc gets out of bed when visited by the ghost of a kid he tried to save. Do they go for a long scary atmospheric walk in the woods? Nope magic door takes him straight there! He awakes to find mud on his feet. Which lets him know it wasn't a dream. Would have had more effect if there had been one shot of how muddy the ground was and his bare feet walking through it. But nope. No time. Get to the dead kid!

Some good acting and great special effects and the framework for a good story. But bad scripting and poor direction shot this movie right in the foot.

Booo.

The old one is way better.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just watched 'Shazam!' and it was wonderful. Very good film, lots of fun.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    We just watched 'Shazam!' and it was wonderful. Very good film, lots of fun.
    Saw that in theaters and was blown away with how great it was. Maybe my expectations were low and that's why I was like dam that was great. Either way, got me into the character and spent a good portion of the rest of my day looking up anything I could find about the movie and comics. A really fun movie for all ages.

Bagel
    I'm watching Shazam right now and it's exceeded my expectations. Didn't know shit about the movie or the cast but enjoying it.

Saw Greta earlier, this also exceeded my expectations but the story may seem familiar. - lonely woman gets clingy with younger woman - leaves her purse on a subway car and Chloe Grace Moretz tracks her down, returns it and the fun begins. That psychological thriller of someone getting close just wanting to fuck up someone else's life. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Bagel; July 19th, 2019 at 9:53 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    Us - 9/10 for me. Went in thinking it was gonna be a really good slasher flick and it was just sooooo much more. Fantastic.
    I'm interested to hear what others took from this film. It's obviously got undertones of racism, but how did you take them on board?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Shazaam on a free Redbox rental far more than I expected - my wife told me she had read it was awful but she knows I like silly stuff. I gotta say the kid's acting was better than I expected. Fun stuff.

Then we watched "The Hate U Give". Not sure how we missed this gem from 2018, but I'm glad we finally saw it.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Saw Free Solo recently.

Was definitely a good documentary. Can't really say though that I was inspired by it at all and more thought of it as a warning story about the dangers of obsession.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I'm interested to hear what others took from this film. It's obviously got undertones of racism, but how did you take them on board?
    I liked it and it reminded me of the social commentary somewhat hidden in movies by George A Romero and to an extent John Carpenter. Honestly, going in I didn't really think about how it probably had some type of "meaning" beyond the surface. It wasn't until AFTER I watched it and talked to some other people online where we started going above and beyond what the movie really meant.

Another great movie from a guy nobody on Earth 4-5 years ago would have expected to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I enjoyed Shazaam on a free Redbox rental far more than I expected - my wife told me she had read it was awful but she knows I like silly stuff. I gotta say the kid's acting was better than I expected. Fun stuff.

Then we watched "The Hate U Give". Not sure how we missed this gem from 2018, but I'm glad we finally saw it.
    Shazam! was pretty dope. I didn't hear or read a single negative about the movie so I wonder if your wife was just trying to cockblock you from watching a movie that didn't look visually appealing to her lol. Happened to me all the time with my ex. "Naw I heard that movie sucked" YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! lol.

It was fun. Especially when you think about how pretty much every DC movie to ever grace the screen are pretty dark. Suicide Squad is probably the only other movie that doesn't feel like you should slit your wrists after watching due to the dark vibes. But even then it was still pretty hardcore.

With so much revamping going on with DC movies I do question where we go from here with this character.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Ita good. Has a few good scares, some intriguing characters, damn good acting, great fucking casting and a nice story that unfolds over the course of the movie.

If you want you can give it some "deeper" meaning but none of that kind of alagory or euphemism is really there. It's just a good slasher flick with a cool story.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Shazam! was pretty dope. I didn't hear or read a single negative about the movie so I wonder if your wife was just trying to cockblock you from watching a movie that didn't look visually appealing to her lol. Happened to me all the time with my ex. "Naw I heard that movie sucked" YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! lol.

It was fun. Especially when you think about how pretty much every DC movie to ever grace the screen are pretty dark. Suicide Squad is probably the only other movie that doesn't feel like you should slit your wrists after watching due to the dark vibes. But even then it was still pretty hardcore.

With so much revamping going on with DC movies I do question where we go from here with this character.
    *ahem* Aquaman?
    For realz, I'll take Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam over most of the MCU characters. Put those three in a movie together, please. Throw in Swamp Thing from the excellent TV show, too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *ahem* Aquaman?
    For realz, I'll take Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam over most of the MCU characters. Put those three in a movie together, please. Throw in Swamp Thing from the excellent TV show, too.
    True!

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I dig Aquaman but I didn't really enjoy Wonder Woman. I have yet to see Shazam but that's because I think it looks stupid. But then people think I look stupid and I'm not so I may have to rent that one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dig Aquaman but I didn't really enjoy Wonder Woman. I have yet to see Shazam but that's because I think it looks stupid. But then people think I look stupid and I'm not so I may have to rent that one.
    I honestly think you will enjoy Shazam! I'm with you, going all the way back to seeing the dude in the costume for the first time I was like....what the fuck is this Dan Schneider Nickelodeon looking movie? It even had Asher Angel from Andi Mack (thank you youngest daughter) and the guy playing Shazam was a fucking weirdo in real life. But I couldn't get over how absurd the suit looked.

But then you watch the movie and everything makes perfect sense. To be honest, if this movie came out in the 80's or early 90's it would have been shit on heavily because dude looks like Meteor Man in that suit and the premise is on some Pagemaster looking shit, idk. I guess this isn't selling you on it very well. But I actually enjoyed the hell out of it.

And i will say this going back to @mth talking about Wonder Woman and Aquaman not being on some emo shit......They were still more of a traditional super hero movie than Shazam imo. Shazam is just so fun, I would say it's more along the lines of the MCU Spider Man movies than anything in terms of the acting. It has a very 80's/90's low budget non-comic book super hero type vibe but done perfectly.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely planning to check Shazam! out this weekend since it's at Redbox.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The murder scene is Us happening to the tune of The Beach Boys and NWA is easily my favorite scene from a movie in 2019. Excellent stuff.

Bagel
    As others here spoke highly of Shazam!, yeah it's just a really fun movie that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, same for the first Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed that while knowing little of anything about it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    As others here spoke highly of Shazam!, yeah it's just a really fun movie that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, same for the first Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed that while knowing little of anything about it.
    Yeah I remember being a little shocked Guardians was getting a movie. The book had been discontinued I think 3 different times and fuck I don't think anyone but Drax was even an original member, and even his story-based on what we've seen, isn't even the same. But damn they hit this one out the park, it's a brilliant edition to the MCU.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's that Mandella effect thing where people swear Shazam was a 1990s movie with Sinbad as a genie.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    I had the same feeling walking out of Shazam! as I did the first Guardians. Had no idea about either and both turned me into a instant fan.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anyone see Midsommar, I really enjoyed it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hobbs and Shaw: Definitely good for comedy and things like that. It was alright for what it was. In some ways, it felt like somewhat of a step down from the previous Fast and Furious movies. I know they're not directly tied together and it's basically its own separate universe but it's still loosely related. It also felt like a step down, to me, compared to John Wick and the Mission Impossible movies when it comes to action and choreography.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anyone see Midsommar, I really enjoyed it.
    I thought it kicked ass.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rented Brightburn last night. Thought it was great. Very dark, sometimes pretty fuckin gory. Basically imagine a tween version of Clark Kent giving zero fucks, knowing he's superior to all humans, and he enjoys the carnage.

Definitely think you cats should check it out.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Brightburn in the theater and it was good. Definitely undersold in terms of marketing that movie but I'm guessing that was to avoid throwing people way off the scent for the actual amount of gore in the movie.

Bagel
    Redbox'd both Brightburn and The Cleaning Lady yesterday. Enjoyed them both. The Cleaning Lady reminded me a bit of El Chicano in terms of the slow build to the second half of things. Brightburn was pretty cool. I wasn't sure what I expected but where I happened to be at they had both at the box yesterday.

Starting to go that way a little more, Redbox, since my Netflix DVD service has been taking an extra day for deliveries. Idea is if a movie is a giant turd I won't be as disappointed returning it right away as I might where it could take up to a week to receive, watch, return and get another one.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Oh man, I went to see Ugly Dolls with the family on Tuesday. Not good. Not good at all. Struggled to stay awake during the first hour. Just no redeeming qualities about it at all, really. My lad wasn't all that keen, either.

It was no Trolls, that's for sure. That's a great film.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made

Somehow I never saw this even though I'm a big Swingers fan. It was good and definitely kept that same chemistry of Swingers but Vince Vaughn's character was written to be a little too obnoxious in this. That type of dickhead best friend character who fucks everything up so badly that you just wanna kill him. I would have toned him down a little. That was my only gripe, though. I enjoyed it. Jon Favreau is the man.

7/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Saw Brightburn in the theater and it was good. Definitely undersold in terms of marketing that movie but I'm guessing that was to avoid throwing people way off the scent for the actual amount of gore in the movie.
    I actually just read that the reason it didn't get really any marketing is because the movie was coming around at the same time all that James Gunn bullshit was happening. So the studio were like nope, we're not doing shit so this was all pretty much word of mouth outside of a Comic Con trailer viewing.

And yeah I was actually shocked that it was that hard with the gore at times.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just watched 'Brightburn' as well. Good stuff.
    And ohmygod...

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I’ve just tried to watch Aquaman. Oh dear. The absolute drizzling shits. I had to turn it off.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Ha, I enjoyed Aquaman.

Watched it at the cinema with Mrs M. The only of the DC Universe films I've seen so far.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquaman is fucking wonderful.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Just to be clear I’m talking about the one with Jason Momoa, the one with the awful dialogue, terrible costumes, woeful cgi and embarrassing acting.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Aquaman was fantastic.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Just to be clear I’m talking about the one with Jason Momoa, the one with the awful dialogue, terrible costumes, woeful cgi and embarrassing acting.
    That's the chap.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    You’re all mental.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just watched 'Sorry To Bother You'. Why have I not heard a peep about this movie? Only reason I heard about it was because Nostalgia Critic referenced it in a recent review so I Googled it and saw it had 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. Read the briefest of descriptions and decided to dial it up. Heck of an interesting and thought-provoking flick. Highly recommend. Anyone else seen it?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a horror kick.

Just watched The Ranger and Monster Party.

The Ranger is a fun low budget slasher. Monster Party has a little more of a budget. It starts fucking slow though. About 40 minutes to get going and the plot isn't exactly profound. But once it gets going it's great.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve just tried to watch Aquaman. Oh dear. The absolute drizzling shits. I had to turn it off.
    I've fallen asleep both times I've tried watching this.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched The Void.

Started out John Carpenter and ended Clive Barker.

Good though.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

Do you enjoy anything?

Anyway watched Aquaman on Saturday, Really enjoyable.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Yes, things that aren’t shit.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to see quite a few films on the plane - the following were worth the time

Tolkien
    The Mule
    The Aftermath
    Aquaman
    Deadpool 2

plus I watched Shazam! again, and Avengers Endgame three more times.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Midsommar...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Deadtectives. Marvelous. Funny as shit.

It was like Tropic Thunder and Ghost Hunters had a baby.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to see quite a few films on the plane - the following were worth the time

Tolkien
    The Mule
    The Aftermath
    Aquaman
    Deadpool 2

plus I watched Shazam! again, and Avengers Endgame three more times.
    Jesus Christ dude were you on some type of expedition across multiple continents?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus Christ dude were you on some type of expedition across multiple continents?
    Flying direct from Boston to Honolulu is a LONG trip

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying direct from Boston to Honolulu is a LONG trip
    Oh I can only imagine. lol

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vice

Bale was outstanding. The whole cast was great in fact, including Tyler Perry as Colin Powell. Cheney's an interesting character so I enjoyed learning about his story, but the presentation of the movie (editing, the false ending, the closing monologue, the mid credits focus group scene, etc) fell flat. I'm fine with McKay giving it a humorous spin and using some fun tactics like he did on The Big Short, but in this case most of it didn't land. It would have been more enjoyable as a traditional biopic without the McKay-isms. 6.6/10
    ---------

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

I'll start with the good... the opening scene rocked. It brought back those Jurassic Park 1 feelings. But the movie went downhill from there. In fact it sucked. Watch the first 5 minutes, skip the rest.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to side with the "save the dinosaurs" camp but I was firmly in the "let them die" camp. When you consider the environmental threat they pose to the existing animal species on earth, it seems stupid to want to save them. They are a super invasive species that isn't even supposed to be on earth. They will threaten tons of species into extinction. Fuck that. I was rooting for the volcano all the way.

5/10

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BlacKkKlansman

I loved this movie. What a great return to form for Spike Lee. Denzel's son, John David Washington, who I liked on the show Ballers, might not have the same acting chops as his dad (almost no one does) but he proved to me here that he is a movie star. He was great in the lead role, and along with Adam Driver they led us through this story of the KKK without making it feel too heavy handed.

Overall this was great despite a few nitpicks about the ending that I had.

8.9/10

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford v. Ferrari was very enjoyable. The scenes with Damon and Bale were definitely top notch. Humor was subtle but well-placed. Be prepared for longer race scenes and not quick montages.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford v. Ferrari was very enjoyable. The scenes with Damon and Bale were definitely top notch. Humor was subtle but well-placed. Be prepared for longer race scenes and not quick montages.
    One of my favorites movies is Rush with Chris Hemsworth. Have you seen that film? If so, how does FvF compare?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    One of my favorites movies is Rush with Chris Hemsworth. Have you seen that film? If so, how does FvF compare?
    Haven't seen it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mass Movie Review: (All Blu Ray/DVD reviews)

Hobbs and Shaw:
    Great action movie with 2 of my favorites of all time. Everything you expect. Ass beatings, one-liners, cool explosions. I wish I had seen this in the theater.

The Peanut Butter Falcon:
    Incredible. I'm all about movies with even the smallest connection to pro wrestling. Spoiler alert=2 of the greatest wrestlers of all time have cameos. The entire cast delivered, I strongly recommend checking out this movie.

Teen Titans Go! v. Teen Titans:
    More for my 8 year old daughter. My oldest son was super into Teen Titans, he probably would like this too. But she loves Teen Titans Go! It wasn't as good as the Teen Titans Go! movie, but there are some really really cool moments. If you're a fan or have kids, check this out for sure.

Good Boys:
    Hilarious. People say it's like Super Bad but with 12 year olds, I could not agree more with that comparison. Very funny, and like with Super Bad most of us can relate to the stories being told here.

So yeah, I banged these all out within the last week or so after going through a rental slump.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Boys:
    Hilarious. People say it's like Super Bad but with 12 year olds, I could not agree more with that comparison. Very funny, and like with Super Bad most of us can relate to the stories being told here.
    This. It wasn't as iconic or memorable but it certainly had the feel of superbad.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doctor Sleep:
    Could not wait to see this. I am a huge fan of the Shining. The old lady in the bathroom and the twins mentally scarred me as a kid. So that movie always had a special place for me. The sequel had a lot going against it. First off, I am sure people had high expectations going in and the director had to juggle between this book, the shining movie, and the book. I think he did a good job of making this it's own movie while having special callbacks to the Shining movie and book. I do wish the ending of this movie was similar to the book's ending but I am happy with the film overall.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Book Smart:

Started off really strong. First half hour, maybe 45 minutes were great. Very funny. Jason Sudaekis was really good in the couple scenes he was in. Then it dropped off a cliff real quick. I went from laughing to debating whether I should bother finishing the movie or if I should just find something else to do. 4/10.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Book Smart:

Started off really strong. First half hour, maybe 45 minutes were great. Very funny. Jason Sudaekis was really good in the couple scenes he was in. Then it dropped off a cliff real quick. I went from laughing to debating whether I should bother finishing the movie or if I should just find something else to do. 4/10.
    I have to agree with this 100%. The first part was terrific, really funny stuff, but it seemed as if they wanted to make an entirely different movie than a fresh comedy. After watching, I couldn't help feel disappointed that I hadn't just fallen asleep

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ad Astra

I thought Brad Pitt did a good job in this role. I don't agree with those that said this was slow and boring. There were quite a few thrilling scenes in the first hour of the movie. 7/10

Ready or Not

Entertaining and fun all the way through. Nothing special but it was different and the ending was fun. It's better if you don't even watch the trailer to this. Decent popcorn flick. 6.5/10.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uncut Gems

Adam Sandler starts as jeweler Howard Ratner. Howard is tied up in the clusterfuck that is his life. A crumbling marriage, betting addictions, and trying to keep face in his Jewish community are just a few of his problems.

Sandler's performance is really fucking good, but the movie drags for too much. There's probably 15-25 minutes that could have been cut. Thus film seemed to drag even more than Little Women.
    6.75/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Ad Astra

I thought Brad Pitt did a good job in this role. I don't agree with those that said this was slow and boring. There were quite a few thrilling scenes in the first hour of the movie. 7/10

Ready or Not

Entertaining and fun all the way through. Nothing special but it was different and the ending was fun. It's better if you don't even watch the trailer to this. Decent popcorn flick. 6.5/10.
    I agree on both parts as I just watched both of these last week. Ad Astra being kind of an action film surprised me. I honestly had only seen 1 preview for it.

Ready or Not was fun like you said, nothing special. I'd watch it again.

I came in here to talk about It Chapter Two. I really enjoyed it. The adult cast was very good. I can't help comparing it to the original tv movie because it was awesome but the theatrical version of IT has delivered imo.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 Underground: If you don't pay attention for maybe 3-5 minutes, you're lost on what is going on. Lots of action, Reynolds felt like he mailed it in for the one-liners but still relatively entertaining.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Holy shit, I loved it. Rami Malek is so good and I'm glad this got all the awards it did. Malek's accent isn't quite perfect (I say this despite not really knowing what Freddie Mercury sounded like when not singing) but his performance is outstanding. It reminds me of Scarface in that way, in that Pacino didn't nail a cuban accent by any means but he became the character so well that it didn't matter. This is instantly one of my favorite musical biopics of all time.

9.3/10

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a big Stephen King fan liking both the Shining and Dr Sleep films, how close is the Dr Sleep film to the book and worth checking out?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Being a big Stephen King fan liking both the Shining and Dr Sleep films, how close is the Dr Sleep film to the book and worth checking out?
    Last edited by PurePlayer; January 2nd, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically don’t bother with the movie then?

Loved the book so can live with that!
    Last edited by mth; January 2nd, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Holy shit, I loved it. Rami Malek is so good and I'm glad this got all the awards it did. Malek's accent isn't quite perfect (I say this despite not really knowing what Freddie Mercury sounded like when not singing) but his performance is outstanding. It reminds me of Scarface in that way, in that Pacino didn't nail a cuban accent by any means but he became the character so well that it didn't matter. This is instantly one of my favorite musical biopics of all time.

9.3/10
    Saw this in my local theatre and bloody loved it. I come from a family of Queen fans, so was always going to like this. With all the problems along the way with the direction etc, I'm amazed it was as good as it was. Would love to see how Sacha Baron Cohen would have done in the role.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks prick
    Last edited by mth; January 2nd, 2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: maybe don't keep quoting the fucking spoiler, silly goose

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    So basically don’t bother with the movie then?

Loved the book so can live with that!
    I thought you watched both of the films based on your post lol my bad. I will put in tags for others.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you watched both of the films based on your post lol my bad. I will put in tags for others.
    I’ve read both books but only saw the Shining movie, not Dr Sleep.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, don't post spoilers and if someone posts an untagged spoiler, please don't keep quoting it.
    Last edited by mth; January 2nd, 2020 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, if someone posts an untagged spoiler, please don't keep quoting it.
    lol. Or maybe say "Hey how about you don't post spoilers" lol. Don't make this about me.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to you and Badger. And I edited for you so you don't feel so targeted.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I See You: Interesting movie. Really choppy to start but it makes sense, based on what they do with the second half of the movie.

I agree on both parts as I just watched both of these last week. Ad Astra being kind of an action film surprised me. I honestly had only seen 1 preview for it.

Ready or Not was fun like you said, nothing special. I'd watch it again.

I came in here to talk about It Chapter Two. I really enjoyed it. The adult cast was very good. I can't help comparing it to the original tv movie because it was awesome but the theatrical version of IT has delivered imo.
    Just bringing this back since me and my friend watch Chapter Two again yesterday. I enjoyed it both times but it just felt too long (felt the same way after seeing it in the theater originally). There definitely could have been some shaving across the board or they could have reworked the story in a different way to where maybe a third chapter was established. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do that because that's just even more money on the table and these companies are greedy. It was really good, don't get me wrong, but it was just a lot.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I inadvertently quoted Pureplayer there without realising what I was doing so bad on my part. My post was more jokey rather than really being affronted.

I will watch it for myself. Was trying to post to see what fellow King fans though of it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to you and Badger. And I edited for you so you don't feel so targeted.
    Yet zero to the person who posted the spoiler.

Favoritism at it's finest.

I See You: Interesting movie. Really choppy to start but it makes sense, based on what they do with the second half of the movie.

Just bringing this back since me and my friend watch Chapter Two again yesterday. I enjoyed it both times but it just felt too long (felt the same way after seeing it in the theater originally). There definitely could have been some shaving across the board or they could have reworked the story in a different way to where maybe a third chapter was established. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do that because that's just even more money on the table and these companies are greedy. It was really good, don't get me wrong, but it was just a lot.
    Yeah it seems really the only negative is the length. Personally, I wasn't negative to it. Mainly because it's arguably my favorite Stephen King story. I don't necessarily mean book-wise as I have not read IT outside of the first chapter maybe

But in terms of the movies that intrigue me, IT is right up there with The Shining for me.

I wouldn't mind watching 1 and 2 back to back and seeing how that plays out.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it seems really the only negative is the length. Personally, I wasn't negative to it. Mainly because it's arguably my favorite Stephen King story. I don't necessarily mean book-wise as I have not read IT outside of the first chapter maybe

But in terms of the movies that intrigue me, IT is right up there with The Shining for me.

I wouldn't mind watching 1 and 2 back to back and seeing how that plays out.
    Might want to carve out a week, if you do that haha (kidding). Together, I think it'd work out quite well in terms of it being relatively seamless. I just think Henry was more fodder in Chapter 2 than he probably could have been but that makes that movie even longer. If you did it as three chapters rather than two, he could have been more of a story and probably added some different kind of chaos.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet zero to the person who posted the spoiler.

Favoritism at it's finest.

He already edited tags into his post because he got called out by your goofy ass quoting the untagged spoiler and therefore being just as guilty of spoiling it yourself.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to carve out a week, if you do that haha (kidding). Together, I think it'd work out quite well in terms of it being relatively seamless. I just think Henry was more fodder in Chapter 2 than he probably could have been but that makes that movie even longer. If you did it as three chapters rather than two, he could have been more of a story and probably added some different kind of chaos.
    One thing I will say is that it does feel like they spent more time on Henry in Chapter Two then the original did when he was older. Honestly I felt he was used perfectly, he's such a background element-maybe he has more of a presence in the book.

I personally wanted a little more than a simple nod to the genesis of Pennywise. But maybe that's in the cards for down the road. Origin story lol

He already edited tags into his post because he got called out by your goofy ass quoting the untagged spoiler and therefore being just as guilty of spoiling it yourself.
    Well maybe if you were quicker to moderate his post wouldn't have been floating out there for the 30-40 minutes and you know with all the traffic there were at least 20 people who saw it

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Irishman - 5/10

First off, it's way too fucking long. 3.5 hours is overkill and just not necessary. Especially when you take into account a major revelation from the book was just brushed over. Because it was so long I couldn't watch it in one sitting which made it tough to get into.

That said, it was incredibly well-acted. Pesci was the standout for me. Usually he's boisterous and borderline insane in movies but he was reserved in this film. De Niro did a good job too. Loved the Action Bronson cameo in it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Irishman - 5/10

First off, it's way too fucking long. 3.5 hours is overkill and just not necessary. Especially when you take into account a major revelation from the book was just brushed over. Because it was so long I couldn't watch it in one sitting which made it tough to get into.

That said, it was incredibly well-acted. Pesci was the standout for me. Usually he's boisterous and borderline insane in movies but he was reserved in this film. De Niro did a good job too. Loved the Action Bronson cameo in it.
    This is what I'm worried about. The cast is stellar no doubt, the story I'm not really even familiar with but again the great cast should deliver. But damn it's long. I guess I could probably think of a time I watched 3 episodes of Stranger Things in a row idk. It looks awesome.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I'm worried about. The cast is stellar no doubt, the story I'm not really even familiar with but again the great cast should deliver. But damn it's long. I guess I could probably think of a time I watched 3 episodes of Stranger Things in a row idk. It looks awesome.
    I think the trailer made it look better than it actually was. It was well done, it was just too long. Knowing that I wasn't going to sit through the whole thing made it hard to really get sucked into the movie.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the trailer made it look better than it actually was. It was well done, it was just too long. Knowing that I wasn't going to sit through the whole thing made it hard to really get sucked into the movie.
    That's why when I rented IT and it was like 830 I was like naw fuck that I'll watch it when I get off work tomorrow so I can have it back by 9 lol

I didn't want to get halfway through it and call it a day because I might lose the feel when you get sucked in to a movie like that.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I hate watching films in parts, but I think I need to do just that with The Irishman. Really want to see it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched The Irishman in 2 parts and it was good. Pesci had the most award worthy performance, IMO, but all 3 leads were on point. The running time is huge but I don't really care because I don't mind watching it over a couple days. I just wish they would have made it into a 4 part mini series so the viewer would have natural break points, but oh well.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Women (2019)

For those out of the loop, Little Women is a story about four sisters who share a strong bond that is put to the test as they grow up by their envy of each other and desire to find their own paths in life. This version uses a cross-cutting technique to flit back and forth between two distinct time periods which is sometimes a little unclear but mostly easy enough to follow thanks to a very obvious difference in lighting (the past is very light and golden, whereas the present is much more dark and grey).

It was really solid for the first two thirds. The last third drags like hell and the ending calls to mind Return of the King with too many emotional climaxes and just an incredibly drawn out last stretch. There's also a couple of really weird tonal choices in the last ten minutes that are mystifying and seem really out of step with the rest of the film.

Saoirse Ronan is a big talent and she crushes it, and Florence Pugh is also really good, which is just as well because they play the two main characters. The weakest part of the film is comfortably Emma Watson who is pretty dreadful - honestly I think time's up on her as a serious actor, she just isn't that good. Her accent is laughable. There's also an incredibly distracting minor appearance by Bob Odenkirk which took me out of the film altogether, really weird bit of casting.

Overall it's a decent watch, I doubt I'll watch it again but it's a good story, though ti definitely feels every bit of its 2hr 15 minute runtime. Actually it feels a bit longer than that.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Boys:
    Absolutely hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing. Had to rewind a couple parts because we were laughing so hard we missed some of the jokes. The entire scene in the frat house was gold. Most of it was over the top but it was done so well. Funniest movie I've seen in a while.