Page 59 of 89 FirstFirst ... 4955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,900 of 8833

Thread: The Official Spurs Transfer Rumours thread

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defoe and Pav should be our first choice partnership; that's obvious to anyone who actually saw them play last season.

We can buy one more striker to compete with them and give youth a chance too.

Keep in mind we may only have 40 games next season so we shouldn't need such a large squad.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Danny Rose looked decent when he played for the U-21s last week. Strong and quick.

Simon
    Off-topic but related to Alex's post about Rose - Arsenal have a kid called Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who looks mint.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's pretty good. Wonder were Jay Simpson will go on loan this year. Wonder if Celtic would be a possibility

Simon
    Simpson won't ever be good enough for Arsenal IMO. Playing for the youngsters in the Carling Cup he was clearly a level below the likes of Wilshere, Merida, Vela, Ramsey etc. Doesn't have the same speed of thought and economic use of the ball.

Emmanuel-Thomas looks uncannily like Adebayor, even down to their running style...but he plays left wing, which is just odd given that he's about 6'4" (at a guess, maybe he's not as big as he looks). He's only about 18, what a monster. Captain of the youth team as well.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle Lafferty played on the wing at 16 I think it's so they have to actually use their feet

Simon
    Kyle Lafferty is absolute crap. Just thought I'd throw that into the conversational mix.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except that, he's not.

How often have you seen him play then Simon and I assume it's mainly been on the left as he hasn't played centrally for Rangers that often.

If you've seen him play for Northern Ireland centrally and still think he's crap there's no hope for you

Alf
    How is it that every Norn Iron player you talk about is suddenly amazing. Rose tinted hmmmmmm?

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all teams, why do Spurs get their own transfer thread?

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they talk so much complete bollocks it needs to be kept seperate from the rest of the relatively decent posts in the forum.

We Welcome the Chase
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opens a can of worms that question. You're better just not to ask.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Because of the sheer volume of Spurs rumours that used to be posted in the rumours thread due to the number of Spurs fans.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. Just wondered.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well last season they were certain that they were going to get Eto'o, Villa and Arshavin because BEN told them. BEN is this ITK who they love but in reality he cannot type properly and is a stupid moron.

Alf
    Alright dickhead, back in your box.

I don't think any of us (well i didn't) said 'We are definately going to get XTZ'. But we did say we were linked with them... and we were in negotiations over Arshavina dn Et'o'o. That was all over the press.

So, however unrealistic is would be of us to sign those players, the clubs were talking, so BEN's reputation is intact.

What's gotten into you fuckface?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I thought you admitted that the Eto'o rumours were simply a smokescreen for GDS and that you were never in negotiations over Eto'o.

I'm pretty sure it was you or perhaps Laz.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I thought you admitted that the Eto'o rumours were simply a smokescreen for GDS and that you were never in negotiations over Eto'o.

I'm pretty sure it was you or perhaps Laz.
    Fuck knows.

Might have been. I can't remember to be honest. I do remember there being a lot of contrary information being bandied about. But then there always is.

Torn is a fadge, that much I do know.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Arshavina dn Et'o'o
    Were you typing that in a Russian accent?

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't quite know what's come over me I've gone into a Spurs hating rage all of a sudden.

Anyone can see signing SAMUEL ETO'O is unrealistic. You were all saying signing Arshavin was nailed on for weeks then, well, he didn't come. Suprise suprise. We've clashed over your good mate BEN before and you know my feelings on the cretinous cunt wanker. He doesn't have a reputation, unless it's of making up shit rumours that David Villa and Tevez will sign for Spurs. I don't know what's worse, his rumours or you lot buying into every little one followed by a TEAM FORMATION POST discussing how said rumoured player would fit in

Simon
    Show us some examples of anyone saying Arshavin was nailed on. Shouldn't be hard to find, seeing as they would have been over the space of a month in January, so go and have a look back, and find them. Because I'm pretty sure every Spurs fan posting rumours posted them with the "take this with a pinch of salt" proviso. Arshavin was certainly a big hope for a long time, but considering the fact that Arshavin was coming out moaning to the press about how Zenit were stalling him from getting a deal with us, and how his agent and Zenit were both all over the media hyping the move up, we were right to talk about it a lot - by all accounts we were very close to getting the deal.

So find these posts where we said it was done. Idiot.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I think Pav is going to go. Some German team, Stuttgart I think, are rumoured to be interested.

No idea what our first choice pairing up front will be next season.

Simon
    Well shot of him, don't rate him at all. Bentley's come back off his holibobs for talks with Aston Vanilla.

Would take £10m for each of them personally. Then sign Jermaine Pennant on a Bosman to cover for Lennon and spend the other £20m buying Villa and/or Tevez.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Well shot of him, don't rate him at all. Bentley's come back off his holibobs for talks with Aston Vanilla.

Would take £10m for each of them personally. Then sign Jermaine Pennant on a Bosman to cover for Lennon and spend the other £20m buying Villa and/or Tevez.
    Gomez

Corluka King Woodgate Ekotto

Lennon Palacios Zidane Pennant

Villa Tevez

Strong...

And the Arshavin thing was all over the press last summer with quotes coming from Arshavin, his agent, Zenit, us, etc etc etc... STOP MAKING UP STORIES WITH QUOTES IN BEN!!!111

To be fair to Ben too, he's been quiet over the last season and a bit. He doesn't have much contact at the training ground anymore. He's been replaced by a few dubious others. Not everything that gets posted here is from BEN... but when BEN does post it's more often than not good info, and more often than not it's about team selections/injuries etc rather than transfers.

And we have this fucking discussion every single transfer window. We post stuff in here to keep it away from other people, we don't post this stuff because we think it's going to happen, it's just for fun and to spread the (dubious) news. If you don't like it then why read it?

The same people over and over again complain, yet we keep it to this thread. So why whinge?

Alf
    APPAZ Hudds to Celtic on loan as part of the Brown deal...

I have no idea what brown is like having never seen him. When was the last time a player who did well in scotland did well in England?

Petrov?

And you just KNOW Bentley will be awesome for Villa. Especially with Heskey or Carew up front.
    Last edited by Alf; June 15th, 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is it that every Norn Iron player you talk about is suddenly amazing. Rose tinted hmmmmmm?
    Nah Alf. Nonsense. Kyle Lafferty has all the potential to be a decent premiership striker. I haven't said he's brilliant he's just not shite.

I've seen these lads boss big european sides at home for a few years now so I've seen the very best of them. I know how good they can be, I'm sure I've seen a lot more of Kyle Lafferty than Simon for example.

Alf
    I'm going to buy him on FM, and if he's shit then you have to send me £10.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Vila sign Bentley where would that leave Milner? Would be an odd move I would think. Milner was doing alright I had thought

Simon
    I'm sure you have seen a lot of him, sof. But you've also shown yourself to be outrageously biased towards obviously rubbish Northern Ireland players, so it all evens out really.

I don't really buy this idea that you have to see a player a hundred times to judge him anyway. Even if a player has a bad game you can usually tell they are good players. For example Berbatov and Modric were both pretty average in terms of performance when they first joined Spurs, but you could still tell they were better footballers than any of our other players. Whereas if a player is obviously bad over a few games, chances are they are just crap. I saw him play in the Championship for whatever team he played for (Burnley I think?) and he looked at home at that level - a decent player who didn't look like he would be good enough for the highest level. He's now showing that by being very average at Rangers, who would be a struggling Premier League side at best.
    Last edited by Simon; June 15th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Alf
    I miss Berba...

Can Milner play on the left? He'll probably play there when we sign Ashley Young... ho ho hoooo...

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    I don't quite know what's come over me I've gone into a Spurs hating rage all of a sudden.

Anyone can see signing SAMUEL ETO'O is unrealistic. You were all saying signing Arshavin was nailed on for weeks then, well, he didn't come. Suprise suprise. We've clashed over your good mate BEN before and you know my feelings on the cretinous cunt wanker. He doesn't have a reputation, unless it's of making up shit rumours that David Villa and Tevez will sign for Spurs. I don't know what's worse, his rumours or you lot buying into every little one followed by a TEAM FORMATION POST discussing how said rumoured player would fit in

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see which Northern Irish players I've really over-egged whilst being serious.

There's probably only about 6 or 7 who could play in the premiership right now. Evans,Brunt,Clingan,Davis,Laffs,McCartney and Hughes.

Hughes has been brilliant for Fulham.

Brunt is turning into something special. I claimed him to be the equal of Bentley before. I still don't think that's far from the mark.

S.Davis showed for Rangers in Europe and Northern Ireland he can hang with the best. He bossed a world class spanish midfield when very young. Better than a host of players currently playing in the premiership.

McCartney is a sold premiership left-back.

Evans has been brilliant. I think at the minute you could still compare him to Pique.

Clingan is by no means brilliant but with the teams he's being linked with (i.e :- Fulham and Sunderland) he could do a good job.

Lafferty could currently play for any of the newly promoted sides or someone like Hull.

Healy was amazing internationally but needs a regular game. He's done well for Sunderland when played but isn't quick enough for the premiership unless the sides built for him which he won't get.

Who else is there?

Shiels? Good Championship player
    Grant McCann? Expect him to do well in the Championship brilliant left-foot.

I honestly can't think of any other ones I've bigged up when it hasn't been tongue in cheek. I honestly think Steve Davis could thrive in a European league because of what he's shown internationally. He's a cut above most central midfielders I've seen at Windsor

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is sof outrageously biased, half the time it's clearly tongue in cheek. He's obviously going to like Northern Irish players more than other players.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    I don't see which Northern Irish players I've really over-egged whilst being serious.

There's probably only about 6 or 7 who could play in the premiership right now. Evans,Brunt,Clingan,Davis,Laffs,McCartney and Hughes.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember saying a while ago maybe christmas time that Brunt was as good as Bentley that was sticking my neck out a bit.

I also said Evans was as good as Pique. Still believe that if I'm honest. They are both potentially amongst the best young defenders in the world. I know that sounds ridiculous but Evans has been rotated with 2 of the top centre-backs in the world and hasn't looked out of place often (he has a few times though but that's surely to be expected)

Back on the topic though Spurs should have a decent season this year but I wonder if people will suss Lennon out again. Maybe his crossing has improved enough now that it's going to be difficult to do that but we'll see.

I honestly think Pavulychenko is a bit rubbish. You should probably get Healy in I think he's got a better international record than RVN as well.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    He's improved a lot over the past year. Probably not having to deal with Calderwood has done it. I didn't rate him much for a long time but he's turned into the wrecking ball in midfield and thats why Hodgson is looking at him.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's improved a lot over the past year. Probably not having to deal with Calderwood has done it. I didn't rate him much for a long time but he's turned into the wrecking ball in midfield and thats why Hodgson is looking at him.
    Thats why currently he is a League One player then.

I think the Fulham rumours are just re-hashes of when Sanchez was there and linked with any Irish player under the sun.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean you guys aren't the best judge of character. You loved one fat boy left-footed gypsie named Andy Reid yet dismissed demi-god Kris Commons.

It's like , and I'm using this strictly so you understand, preferring Liam Gallagher to Noel

Alf
    I honestly think Pavulychenko is a bit rubbish. You should probably get Healy in I think he's got a better international record than RVN as well.
    I can't make my mind up to be honest. I'd like to see him get a proper pre-season with us and have a proper rest over the summer. I don't think it;s remotely fair to write him off after his first season.

I know that watching him play he looks more like a footballer than Bent. He seems to be able to control the ball, and seems to make decent enough and intelligent runs. Bent just looks like he's not sure what he's doing most of the time.

I'd like us to keep Pav and pair him with Defoe next season. I'd like us to get rid of Bent and replace him because I hate his fat head, and I want Keane to stop whinging and to be brilliant again.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I miss Berba...

Can Milner play on the left? He'll probably play there when we sign Ashley Young... ho ho hoooo...
    I realise you're joking but Allardyce used to play him on the left and occasionally Roeder did too. He was at his best under Roeder and still thrived under Allardyce.

He always used to cut back onto his right foot though, which was a flaw. He showed he could use his left foot because he played one of the best crosses I have ever seen for Luque to nod it in against Palermo.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh dear.

1) By your logic Tuncay is a shite player as he is now a 'championship player'
    2) Fulham had a rather large bid rejected for him in January because Norwich knew he would be integral to any chance of them staying up

Alf
    SoF in 'Clingan better than jesus' shocker.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh dear.

2) Fulham had a rather large bid rejected for him in January because Norwich knew he would be integral to any chance of them staying up
    This was done before on a Forest board. Show me a link where Fulham state they bid for him in Jan. Bet you can't.

Your first point has no logic because he is only one division below the top league. Clingan is now TWO lol

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://forum.tribalfootball.com/fulh...clingan-226555

Norwich midfielder Sammy Clingan claims Fulham made a move for him during the January transfer window.
    "I take it as a huge compliment that Norwich want to keep me and I respect the decision to turn Fulham down," Clingan told the Belfast Telegraph.
    "It's my dream to play in the Premier League and I really want to achieve that ambition.
    "But if Norwich aren't happy to sell then they were quite entitled to say 'no' to Fulham.
    First link in google BOSH

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said........

Show me a link where Fulham state they bid for him in Jan.

All that is is a quote from Clingan!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no player capable of playing in the premiership would ever be 2 leagues below the top flight? Odd argument.

I'll happily accept Clingans word for the offer from Fulham. No reason to believe he would lie about it.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no player capable of playing in the premiership would ever be 2 leagues below the top flight? Odd argument.

I'll happily accept Clingans word for the offer from Fulham. No reason to believe he would lie about it.
    Other than to talk up his availability and to get Championship and lower Premiership clubs looking at him?

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is that my argument?

My argument is based on seeing "Sideways Sammy" play for over two seasons

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Melv View Post
    Other than to talk up his availability and to get Championship and lower Premiership clubs looking at him?
    Norwich confirmed it too but of course they could be playing the same game.

And Fulham can't really be considered a 'lower Premiership club' at the moment, considering they finished 7th.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Norwich confirmed it too but of course they could be playing the same game.

And Fulham can't really be considered a 'lower Premiership club' at the moment, considering they finished 7th.
    What I meant by that was clubs lower than Fulham in the table.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a link to show Fulham deny making a bid for him? Or Norwich deny having received a bid? This isn't a case where it's come from an Agent trying to manufacture a move or there's any language barrier. I believe him. He's always seemed like a decent guy

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said........

Show me a link where Fulham state they bid for him in Jan.

All that is is a quote from Clingan!
    You're asking something that's impossible to get because it's highly unlikely a club will release a statement saying they have had a bid rejected for a player. A quote from the player is a better source than you, to be honest.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melv View Post
    Pretty risky to specifically name a club then isn't it Melv? Hodgson could easily come out and say no. Sammy could've said there were offers made including some Premiership interest instead of specifically mentioning a team

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It fits as well, considering that Fulham would have been looking for a replacement for Bullard and one that would act as a foil for Danny Murphy.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh dear.

Your first point has no logic because he is only one division below the top league. Clingan is now TWO lol
    My point has logic because I was saying being part of a team which has been relegated is not always an indication of an individual player being out of their depth in the league. You laughed at him being able to hack it in the premiership because he was relegated this year? He looked very good for Norwich and has been decent internationally.

He's only what 25 now is it beyond the realms of possibilitythat he perhaps wasn't reaching his potential in a very average forest team?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be suprised if it somehow didn't tie into them taking Barnes to have a look at him. I think he played most of his reserve games centrally.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're asking something that's impossible to get because it's highly unlikely a club will release a statement saying they have had a bid rejected for a player. A quote from the player is a better source than you, to be honest.
    I'm not sure why. Forest have revealed that we have had bids turned down for Mills and McKenna this summer already. Quite common practice to keep the fans informed.

I only ask because I've looked before and there is nothing from Fulham at all, which makes the whole thing a bit dubious if you ask me.

Not that I really care. But unless he has improved ten fold in the last season I'd say there is no chance he could play well in the Premiership.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty risky to specifically name a club then isn't it Melv? Hodgson could easily come out and say no. Sammy could've said there were offers made including some Premiership interest instead of specifically mentioning a team
    This is true but I was just stirring it a bit

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point has logic because I was saying being part of a team which has been relegated is not always an indication of an individual player being out of their depth in the league. You laughed at him being able to hack it in the premiership because he was relegated this year? He looked very good for Norwich and has been decent internationally.

He's only what 25 now is it beyond the realms of possibilitythat he perhaps wasn't reaching his potential in a very average forest team?
    Son of foley.

Clingan was in a team relegated to LEAGUE ONE.

Tuncay was in a team relegated to THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Why are you comparing the two???

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure why. Forest have revealed that we have had bids turned down for Mills and McKenna this summer already. Quite common practice to keep the fans informed.

I only ask because I've looked before and there is nothing from Fulham at all, which makes the whole thing a bit dubious if you ask me.

Not that I really care. But unless he has improved ten fold in the last season I'd say there is no chance he could play well in the Premiership.
    Yeah that's because Forest still have an interest in the player and want to make the issue public to unsettle them. Fulham may

a) Have more class (This can be assumed)
    b) Changed targets

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Son of foley.

Clingan was in a team relegated to LEAGUE ONE.

Tuncay was in a team relegated to THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Why are you comparing the two???
    Tuncay is an example of a good player in a poor team which has been relegated. It would suggest that Sammy being in a team in league 1 doesn't make him league 1 standard or that he was at fault for the slide of that club that had been happening for a long time.

Sammy would be capable in a certain role for a premiership team. He has a good engine and is tenacious in the tackle. I'm not claiming he would be the answer to Arsenals problems.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Hodgson has been bringing the best out of his players too. Hughes, Etuhu, Pantsil etc. have all excelled under his guidance.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuncay is an example of a good player in a poor team which has been relegated. It would suggest that Sammy being in a team in league 1 doesn't make him league 1 standard or that he was at fault for the slide of that club that had been happening for a long time.

Sammy would be capable in a certain role for a premiership team. He has a good engine and is tenacious in the tackle. I'm not claiming he would be the answer to Arsenals problems.
    If he had just been relegated from the PL (like Tuncay) then you would have some logic.

Bearing in mind he has spent most of his career in League one, bar this season, when he got relegated lol, and I've seen him play shit loads of times, unless he has improved dramatically he will not be a Premiership player. Fail.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you're failing to see the logic.

Him being the relegated does not equal him being a league one calibre player.

Tuncay was an example of that phenomenon not a bench mark of Clingans ability. I've also noted that he's improved at an international level in the past 12 months. I think you might need to take a step back here and actually realise the argument.

He's improved. Improved enough that Fulham have supposedly bid for him. Improved enough that I think he's at least the equal of Dickson Ethuhu

Simon
    Isn't the comparison with Tuncay flawed by virtue of the fact that regardless of what his team did, the player himself proved himself at Premiership level? Whereas, at best, Clingan has proved himself good enough for Championship level?

I'd have serious doubts about any player in his mid-20s being good enough for Premiership level if he's playing for a poor Championship team or worse by that age. Michael Brown was the best player at Championship level I've ever seen, a great attacking midfielder who scored something like 25 goals in his last full season at Sheffield United. He made the step up to Premiership level and had to completely downsize his game to a wannabe-hardman workhorse, because the qualities he had at Championship level were comprehensively not good enough for the top tier. The touch that gave him so much time on the ball at Championship level was second-rate at Premiership level, he was found out in a big way.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you're failing to see the logic.

Him being the relegated does not equal him being a league one calibre player.

Tuncay was an example of that phenomenon not a bench mark of Clingans ability. I've also noted that he's improved at an international level in the past 12 months. I think you might need to take a step back here and actually realise the argument.

He's improved. Improved enough that Fulham have supposedly bid for him. Improved enough that I think he's at least the equal of Dickson Ethuhu
    I know it doesn't make him a League One player, bloody hell!

It makes him a Championship player at very, very best.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the comparison with Tuncay flawed by virtue of the fact that regardless of what his team did, the player himself proved himself at Premiership level? Whereas, at best, Clingan has proved himself good enough for Championship level?

I'd have serious doubts about any player in his mid-20s being good enough for Premiership level if he's playing for a poor Championship team or worse by that age. Michael Brown was the best player at Championship level I've ever seen, a great attacking midfielder who scored something like 25 goals in his last full season at Sheffield United. He made the step up to Premiership level and had to completely downsize his game to a wannabe-hardman workhorse, because the qualities he had at Championship level were comprehensively not good enough for the top tier. The touch that gave him so much time on the ball at Championship level was second-rate at Premiership level, he was found out in a big way.
    Agreed. Same with Michael Tonge at Sheff Utd.

And both Brown and Tonge are streets ahead of Sammy bloody Clingan.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Michael Brown is a Premier League player now. Undermined your own point.

And when did Jimmy Bullard make his Premier League debut? Aged 27 I seem to remember. There are other examples.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it doesn't make him a League One player, bloody hell!

It makes him a Championship player at very, very best.
    Make your mind up again

Simon
    Sure there are going to be some examples, but the point I'm making is that in general it doesn't work. And Michael Brown has been shunted from Spurs to Fulham to Wigan, never holding down a regular first team place at any of them...so he might be a Premiership player by title, but he's not Premiership-quality IMO. I think to be considered Premiership-quality, you have to be good enough to start regularly for a Premiership-standard team (which I admit is a bit of a contrived definition, not to mention vague...for example Portsmouth, Hull and others were not Premiership-standard last season, but managed to stay up despite themselves), and Brown doesn't do that.

The point is, players can be good or even exceptional at Championship level, and it doesn't even guarantee they will be good enough for the Premier League, let alone look anywhere near as good as they are at the lower level.

Then you get players like McFadden, who seem to play better as the opposition improves.
    Last edited by Simon; June 15th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    But Michael Brown is a Premier League player now. Undermined your own point.

And when did Jimmy Bullard make his Premier League debut? Aged 27 I seem to remember. There are other examples.
    But my point is that I saw Clingan play for over three seasons (got it wrong before, Megson bought him, not Calderwood) and he isn't very good.

And I did say that Brown is streets ahead of Clingan. Which he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No he's not very good. Then again, a great deal of Premier League midfielders aren't very good.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pav's great. End of.

Here's a list of players that to sell would be insane.

Gomes
    Modric
    Palacios
    Pav

END.

Selling the likes of Lennon, Woodgate, Corluka, Defoe etc would be stupid but not insane. Those four would only be sold by a total mental.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make your mind up again
    No, he is currently a League one player in name, but a championship player in ability (at best).

I never realised you were Irish mate. N.Ireland and Derby. Fucking hell. You will never ever see your teams win anything

Simon
    All four of those are more important than Pav. I don't think he's shit but I do think he's very average.

Alf
    APPAZ Villa have offered 15 mil for Bentley and Hudds.

Bite their bloody hands off.

Don't Villa need defenders?

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    No he's not very good. Then again, a great deal of Premier League midfielders aren't very good.
    I can't think of any I'd swap for Clingan though.

I wouldn't even swap our midfield of Cohen and McGugan for Clingan.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely even you can see there's a huge difference in being a flair attacking midfielder and being the sort of player Clingan is.

You've then said Brown re-invented himself in the same role Clingan now plays and is playing in the premiership. Clingan isn't reliant on a first touch he breaks up play and makes simple passes. That's it. He's not going to take the premiership by storm but he's as far as workhorse midfielders go you could do worse

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Pav is just having first season syndrome but I thought his finishing seemed poor.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    APPAZ Villa have offered 15 mil for Bentley and Hudds.

Bite their bloody hands off.

Don't Villa need defenders?
    They'll go to £17.5m for the pair and then we can pretend that we didn't lose any money on 'Bents'.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard Spurs are after Sammy Clingan.

He said so himself.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Pav is just having first season syndrome but I thought his finishing seemed poor.
    Maybe he's knackered and maybe he needs to start regularly.

Simon
    I'd take £15m for those two. £10m for Bentley and £5m for Hudd would be nice. I'd quite like to see Hudd playing regularly for another team, that way I can see him scoring delicious screamers and pinging 100 yard passes on the highlights without having to go and make a cup of tea to kill time every time he tries to turn on the ball during a live match.

I really hope he ends up at a team with a system that suits him, as he could still be brilliant. By all accounts Capello loves him as well. I imagine he would be unbelievable in Serie A where he'd get a little more time on the ball.

Alf
    I honestly think they'd be great for Villa, both of them.

The Rosk
    I have a feeling The Hudd could be a legend at the Villa. Get MON's arm round him, sit him down next to Petrov and let Young, Gabby, Milner and Carew run after their beautiful balls. Then bring David Bentley on to knock five crosses onto big Emile's head and suddenly it's Aston Villa 10 - 0 Liverpool lads.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huddlestone's a Forest fan.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard Spurs are after Sammy Clingan.

He said so himself.
    Postings of a desperate man. It's ok mate you got it wrong it was nothing to do with Sanchez being in charge of Fulham. We all get stuff wrong occasionally.

Alf
    Shut up you boring cunts. This is a transfer rumour thread. Not a 'lets chat about shit bumpkins' thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alf is lashing out today.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's just so angry because he doesn't know what we are saying is fact and what is rumour. We haven't said Appaz so it's probably fact but we also haven't said FACT NAILED ON so he's not sure

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Postings of a desperate man. It's ok mate you got it wrong it was nothing to do with Sanchez being in charge of Fulham. We all get stuff wrong occasionally.
    To summarise then, you havent (can't) prove Fulham bid for him, you've got it all arse about face with a bizarre comparision with Tuncay, and your basis for him being a PL player seems to be being Irish and having a "good engine".

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shut up you boring cunts. This is a transfer rumour thread. Not a 'lets chat about shit bumpkins' thread.
    I hope you sign Clingan after that comment

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy
    Simpson won't ever be good enough for Arsenal IMO. Playing for the youngsters in the Carling Cup he was clearly a level below the likes of Wilshere, Merida, Vela, Ramsey etc. Doesn't have the same speed of thought and economic use of the ball.

Emmanuel-Thomas looks uncannily like Adebayor, even down to their running style...but he plays left wing, which is just odd given that he's about 6'4" (at a guess, maybe he's not as big as he looks). He's only about 18, what a monster. Captain of the youth team as well.
    He's brilliant.

I've seen him play in central midfield before aswell where he absolutely bossed the game. Definitely one to look out for.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To summarise then, you havent (can't) prove Fulham bid for him, you've got it all arse about face with a bizarre comparision with Tuncay, and your basis for him being a PL player seems to be being Irish and having a "good engine".
    To summarise.

1) You can't dissprove they bid.
    2) You can't discredit Sammy who has no history of this sort of thing
    3) The comparisson was made in relation to a comment about him being a league 1 player something you then confirmed you didn't think. So the comparrison was therefore uneccessary but your comment about him being a league 1 player I thought needed clarification that relegation is not indicitve of individual quality. I never said he was of the standard of Tuncay.
    4) Yes, in the role he plays and the role I said he could play in he needs an engine. That's because that role, again a role that I clearly stated, is that of being the midfield engine. In so much as that to be the midfield engine of a team he probably needs a good engine.
    5) Him being Northern Irish certainly wasn't part of the argument process. The fact he made the list was clearly stated due to the argument process that interest had been there from a premiership club and he had made masses of progress in the past 12 months.

I guess you probably want to tell me now that if he was to make it he would needed to have made masses of progress in the past 12 months. Something I've continually stated as well as saying I didn't rate him until about 12 months ago as he seemed anonymous during games. He know is making challenges and distributing the ball in a passable way

I'm a bit confused how you can't follow this pretty much everyone else seems to be getting the point I'm making here.

I believe Clingan could be playing in the premiership because in his role as midfield engine he's of a similar calibre to some of the current players (i.e :- dickson ethuhu). Me saying he could be a premiership player doesn't suddenly mean I think he is a world beater just that he could perform a role at a few premiership clubs and do it better than some of the players the currently have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what to think about these Villa/Spurs stories.

If we lose Ashley Young it's suicide.

But I'm not well against getting the players linked in, would assume we're either gonna switch formation of put Milner in the centre if we get Bentley.

Wait and see I guess.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a bit crippling to lose Laursen, Young and Barry like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nonsense anyway. As if he'd consider a move to Spurs.

Alf
    Losing Laursen proved that you are an injury away from hitting the shit. You need to invest in players or next season you are fucked.

You need to replace Barry and you definately need to replace Laursen. Any lack of ambition in those two areas is bound to make players think twice about the direction of the club...

You villa boys have all said how you find O'Neils lack of transfer dealings frustrating, imagine how that is for the players.

Alf
    This may well be interesting... this is from a journalist who works in Madrid.

He gets his info from some dude at Marca, and he was very bang on about Madrid and Kaka and Ronaldo...

We have talked to Madrid about a pack to include:

Huntelaar, Heinze and Robben according to Marca today. We also discussed RVN.

Marca say that the three are up for sale and that Robben wants to stay and fight for his place. Huntelaar has other offers, and Heinze also has offers.

From what I heard they also discussed Sneijeder and Van der Vaart. Marca says we offered 40-50m for the 3 (Huntellar, Heinze and Robben). I heard the same.

Levy impressed Real with his "honesty" and that he was very well prepared according to my mate. Realare happy to work with us, feel the money is ok and now it's down to the players and their agents. Heinze is least problematic and Huntelaar could be convinced. Robben not gonna happen as it stands.
    Stupid money for those three though.

I can't see any of them wanting to come to us either, especially if they have 'other offers'.

Zokora to Sevilla is also wrapped up APPAZ.
    Last edited by Alf; June 16th, 2009 at 5:30 AM.