Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    A little spoilerific question about that actually:

Very general response in here about the books:

I hope that makes sense.

Alf
    You've fucking won Alf, okay? You've won. Once I'm finished The Dark Tower I'm going to start on Game of Thrones.

You owe me big for this.
    Surely you owe ME for opening your eyes to such wonderful literature.

Alf
    And Mik:

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is watching the shows and they are confused about all thats going on I might give the back story. Now the reason GRRM is a good fantasy writer is that he plays with conventions and also there are certain biases going on but this is the official history from the point of view of the rebellion. I have theories about what might have really happened but this is for all intents and purposes what is written as history. I might be forgetting stuff so any one with better knowledge can correct me.

aerys targaryen was a bit of a cunt king. The targaryen family basically captured the iron throne centuries ago because they well literally flew around on dragons which is enough to win most wars. They were also incredibly inbred so there was the odd lunatic. Aerys was one of them. He had three children. Rhaegar, Visery and Daenarys (in the womb). Rhaegar was a bit older than they were and was married with child.

Lyanna Stark (neds sister) was a bit of a hottie and was to wed Robert Baratheon but Rhaegar kidnapped her and took her off to his rape castle. Brandon Stark (Neds brother) marched down south and demanded the Prince come out so he could kill him and take his sister back. The king took offence to this and arrested Brandon and sent for his and Neds father Rickard Stark to fight in a trial by combat.

Of course this is all a ruse and the King just executes the lot of them (referenced this episode with the chat between ned and Jamie who was a kingsguard...which is a highly prestigious position and Jamie through family connections and ability became one very young.

At this time Robert and Ned are being looked after by John Arryn (the dude who died in the very first episode to kick all this off).

The king is like umm John please send those two down to kings landing so I can execute them and this was when the revolt began. John, Eddard and Robert took up banners and marched, Rhaegar did the same. They met and Robert killed Rhaegar. Not long after this house Lannister the CUNTS felt which way the wind was blowing and Tywin Lannister (who should be entering the show soonish from memory) marched his armies to kings landing claiming to be there to ally with the king. He then betrayed the king when they entered and his son (Jamie) would then kill the king.

visery and his mother run away but the rest of the Targs ain't so lucky. Also lyanna dies.

That is pretty much the official history of the fall of the Targs. I don't think I have put anything spoilerish in here. I don't believe personally it really happened that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks petey j I've jumped into this and while I'm getting a picture of whats up it's certainly not being spelled out for me. Which I suppose is part of the fun.

Good so far no doubt.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm absolutely loving this show. I went to watch the first episode earlier tonight and I've wound up watching all three shown so far, one right after the other. I knew nothing of it beforehand, I recorded them based simply on this thread and the hype you lot had generated, so I thank you for that.

Everything about the show is perfect. The setting, the characters, the pacing, the storytelling, everything - it's directed so beautifully. I've been wowed many, many times already at the attention to detail in every shot. I can't wait for the next installment, and I'll definitely be looking into purchasing the books once this series is over. Love it, love it, love it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Really looking forward to tonights show. Come on Ned. Cut someones head off.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the Theon Greyjoy casting. He seems too young and scrawny. I was also disappointed that the tournament was sort of glossed over. Maybe it'll be part of next week too, but it seemed entirely too brief.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Wow, I'm absolutely loving this show. I went to watch the first episode earlier tonight and I've wound up watching all three shown so far, one right after the other. I knew nothing of it beforehand, I recorded them based simply on this thread and the hype you lot had generated, so I thank you for that.

Everything about the show is perfect. The setting, the characters, the pacing, the storytelling, everything - it's directed so beautifully. I've been wowed many, many times already at the attention to detail in every shot. I can't wait for the next installment, and I'll definitely be looking into purchasing the books once this series is over. Love it, love it, love it.

Spot on Jay.

I watched the first 2 yesterday and and I'm about to watch the 3rd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    "I bet you smell of Blackberry Jam"

Loving Mark Addy and Peter Dinklage in this.

So far so good.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miotch View Post
    I hate the Theon Greyjoy casting. He seems too young and scrawny. I was also disappointed that the tournament was sort of glossed over. Maybe it'll be part of next week too, but it seemed entirely too brief.
    I imagine it'll have to continue on. There are still a few characters that get introduced during the whole dealy who have been left out thus far. Then again, they aren't HUGELY important, so they may have just been cut.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Cewsh View Post
    I imagine it'll have to continue on. There are still a few characters that get introduced during the whole dealy who have been left out thus far. Then again, they aren't HUGELY important, so they may have just been cut.

Surely they can't cut him out.

All book spoiler

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Having just watched it I think they definiteyl are going to continue the tourney. Although tis a shame we missed the melee, would have liked to see Thoros. Guess that's why we got the mention of his sword in that conversation.

And I echo Marlon. I bet you smell like blackberry jam.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that it was another excellent episode. Seems like its setting up for quite a lot to kick off with Tyrion going to be taken back to Winterfell, I imagine that he's going to have to implicate the Lannister's in order to save himself which is obviously going to have a huge impact on the direction of the plot. I dont recognise who some of these names are you're talking about though, which character is Theon Greyjoy? Apparently Jerome Flynn of Robson & Jerome and Soldier, Soldier fame was in that episode. Did anyone catch who he was.

I particularly enjoyed the steamy sex scene...was desperately hoping she would stand up to display an impeccable arse, is that pathetic?

I'm watching the show with a view of trying to find something that will keep me hooked once
    and so far I think that the Jon Snow storyline is the most interesting. Thats rather well explored at the moment.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theon is the non Stark kid hanging out with Robb. He is a ward of Neds. He is basically living there as a hostage to keep his father loyal to the throne.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh. I didnt realise at first that he wasnt a Stark.

So how many Stark children are there? I know Bran, Robb, Arya and the ginger lass whose name I dont fully know yet. Is it them four and then the bastard?

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robb, (Jon), Sansa, Arya, Brandon, Rickon.

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tourny should continue. Not spoilering it since we've made it to that part in the show now. After the Mountain lances Ser Henry through the fucking throat the King essentially calls for intermission. The Tourney begins anew the next day in the book, and from what I've heard should continue next episode as well.

There are 5 "Stark" children...Rickon, which is the youngest and isn't seen a ton in the book or in the TV series initially. Bran who is the second youngest whose currently crippled and seeing creepy 3 eyed crows. Arya, which is the cool sister. Sansa, whose the red head and is the obnoxious I want to throttle sister. And then Robb, the eldest boy and current Steward of Winterfell.

And then John.

Theon is a ward of the Starks, essentially kept hostage to keep his father...who had rebelled against the crown...under control. Theon in the TV series was the guy who made a comment about the white wolf (ghost) before John took it. He was the third boy during the shaving scene in the first episode. In episode two he's at the little council with Cat and is pushing to go to war and gets smacked down by Luwin. He didn't get named until this fourth episode though. His talk with Tyrion, and later the talk between Jory (the Stark house guard) and Jamie give some insight into his family the Greyjoys. They're somewhat ancillary in the first book but if further seasons occur they'll have a bigger role.

Alf
    Hodor... yus.

Ahhhh. I like Samwell, he's cute.

Hollyoaks woman is fucking immense. Shit tits though.

Arya is incredible. "No... that's not me."

Loved seeing Dany lay the smack down on Viserys... however, I don't think that moment was earnt yet. They needed more scenes of Viserys being mental.
    Last edited by Alf; May 12th, 2011 at 4:46 PM.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samwell is near perfect. You feel so bad for the fat weak pathetic cunt.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    My only problem with Samwell is that I always pictured him as Samwise, specifically Sean Astin being Samwise.

I know, I have no imagination.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.artofthetitle.com/2011/05...me-of-thrones/

A fascinating read about the construction of the title sequence for Game of Thrones. Really enlightening.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great read that, I really love the opening title and the song.

So I'm about to watch episode 4 in a minute, I knew from the first 10 minutes of episode1 I would fall in love with this show. I've been reading more about this show through mags and the net and it's got me wanting to get the books.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Told you Loras would be on the show.

Alf
    Loved Loras...

also

Fuck me the mountain is huge... I was hoping for a big more a vicious fight though. Loved the HORSE CHOP.

BRON! Fucking hell that was surprisingly bloody...

The Eyrie is immense...

And yeah... I've been writing this as I watched it. They haven't so much teased the gay bant as just come right out with it. It works well.

I also like how they very blatantly showed it was the bloke from Pentos who was with Varys when Arya hears them talking.

Immense episode. Absolutely immense. The show has arrived... it reminds me of the wire in that there was a slow build and then suddenly BOOM.
    Last edited by Alf; May 16th, 2011 at 6:09 AM.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Well it's blatant for the people who know what they were looking at. For people who have only seen the show, they've only seen Illyrio in that first episode so they might not have made the connection. I think Martin was like, look I tried to make it sort of obvious with my description in my book, make it plain as day for the tv viewers.

Same with Renly and Loras I think.

And yeah The Eyrie and the sky cells are just what I imagined they'd be. Lysa and Robert are also quite as I imagined them. I also love how the title screen did change to show the Eyrie.

The Mountain is a beast. I just fucking love their gigantic ass swords swinging at each other.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm shocked they actually had a 7 year old sucking on a woman's breast in the show. That just seems like it crosses so many lines. Loved it though. The Eyrie was all phenomenal.

I honestly didn't realize that Renly was gay when I read the book. Kind of shocked by that.

I am also content with the tournament and its conclusion.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I think they threw the Renly is gay thing in there. You think the breast sucking is wrong now wait til season 3.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    While I didn't think it was overt in the books I think it was hinted at that Loras and Renly were lovers or at the very least that many people thought they were lovers.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pabs, book spoiler question from the 2nd book...

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    2nd book spoiler
    Last edited by Pablo Diablo; May 16th, 2011 at 2:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    I think they threw the Renly is gay thing in there. You think the breast sucking is wrong now wait til season 3.
    Not really...

Spoilers from all 4 books and interviews

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Mitch, hurry your ass up and finish the 2nd book, next thing you know the show will be caught up to you.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait...

2nd book...

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Wait...

2nd book...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Holy shit. That kid that was sucking on that woman's tit is the kid that plays Russell Brand's kid in Get Him To The Greek. That was just pure freaky.

It just seems to get better and better each week. Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage and even the younger cast members are all doing very well in their roles. Some are more annoying that others but I guess that is intended.

Also any chance we can get the people wanting to discuss the book in their own thread and the TV show only in this thread?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy fuck, that was one of the best episodes of television I've seen in a long time. Ned would've totally fucked him up though.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Holy shit. That kid that was sucking on that woman's tit is the kid that plays Russell Brand's kid in Get Him To The Greek. That was just pure freaky.

It just seems to get better and better each week. Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage and even the younger cast members are all doing very well in their roles. Some are more annoying that others but I guess that is intended.

Also any chance we can get the people wanting to discuss the book in their own thread and the TV show only in this thread?
    Just don't click anything marked book spoiler.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm shocked they actually had a 7 year old sucking on a woman's breast in the show. That just seems like it crosses so many lines. Loved it though. The Eyrie was all phenomenal.

I honestly didn't realize that Renly was gay when I read the book. Kind of shocked by that.

I am also content with the tournament and its conclusion.
    I was actually wondering about the tit-sucking too. I was just thinking, "can they do that?" as I watched it .. but apparently they can.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The rape, incest and gratuitous amounts of gore were ok.

But a kid breastfeeding was a step too far?

*edit* I should clarify that I mean you think that'd be too much for tv.
    Last edited by Pablo Diablo; May 16th, 2011 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not TV...it's HBO.

Alf
    Holy fuck, that was one of the best episodes of television I've seen in a long time. Ned would've totally fucked him up though.
    Yep, totally agree.

They fit so much into it but still had time for two lenghty paced scenes (Robert and Cersi, Renly and Loras).

Book spoiler

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an incredible episode like. Definitely a huge kick off from the series.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are Renly and Loras?

I am not a big fan of Jamie. Last week he was waxing about fighting side by side with Ned's guard and this week he stabs a dagger straight through his head. Not a good guy. The battle of The Hound vs The Mountain was crazy, those were some big fuck off swords they were flinging about.

Alf
    Renly is the one that was getting gobbed off by a bloke. That bloke was Loras.

Renly is the King's little brother.

Loras is a knight who all the ladies swoon over, he is supposedly a superb fighter. He is from House Tyrell who are one of the major houses (families) in GoT along with:

Stark - Ned and the gang

Lannister - Jaime/Cersi etc

Tully - Catelyn was a Tully, she married Ned, and now she's s stark (but she was promised to Ned's bro, but Ned's bro was killed, so Ned did the honourable thing and married her himself... loves his honour does ned.).

Baratheon - King Robert, little bender brother Renly...

Arryn - Jon Arryn was the hand. Got killed. His mad bitch wife is a Tully, she gets he titties sucked by her kid. Both Robert and Ned spent a lot of time with Jon Arryn as kids and they loved and respected him.

And then there are the Martel family who you won't hear of for a while. You might have heard them mention Dornishmen. That's them.

All these houses will have a number of smaller houses underneath them in their area who pay taxes and lend armed forces when needed. So when they talk about their bannermen, they are talking about the heads of the armed forces of the smaller houses who owe them allegience.

That's why Rob was talking about 1 being greater than five (i.e one being a fist). Everyone has their own men that are loyal to them, there isn't one standing army that belongs to the realm.
    Last edited by Alf; May 17th, 2011 at 5:39 AM.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie rules

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    The rape, incest and gratuitous amounts of gore were ok.

But a kid breastfeeding was a step too far?

*edit* I should clarify that I mean you think that'd be too much for tv.
    Again, its only going to get worse as we progress with that.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are Renly and Loras?

I am not a big fan of Jamie. Last week he was waxing about fighting side by side with Ned's guard and this week he stabs a dagger straight through his head. Not a good guy. The battle of The Hound vs The Mountain was crazy, those were some big fuck off swords they were flinging about.
    In all seriousness outside of "Jamie Rules" you have to understand that Jame and Tyrion are close. Without spoiling too much (and its been at least hinted if not outright said) not many people like Tyrion including his father (who actually literally hates him) so Jamie takes it upon himself to look after the dwarf.

It is also a pretty massive insult to his family. Lannister and Stark are both very very noble houses and both hold ward over parts of the kingdom (Lannister in the West and Stark in the North) and for Catelyn to just kidnap Tyrion and spirit him away to the Eyrie is a pretty massive slap in the face.

Tyrion was kidnapped on the evidence of fucking Littlefinger of all people. I think Jamie is pretty justified in trying to rescue his brother.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also here is a non spoiler (I promise) present for you mik. Its the print out of all the relationships so FAR so you can look up who the kings brothers are in future (Renly and Stannis)

soz for the table breaking

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That's a pretty epic chart there. I enjoy the "friendship" between Loras and Renly.

Alf
    I really want one of those steins...

http://store.hbouk.com/detail.php?p=...es&pagemax=all

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You'd clearly need the whole set and give the Lannister stein to your mate whose sister you want to shag.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya View Post
    I was actually wondering about the tit-sucking too. I was just thinking, "can they do that?" as I watched it .. but apparently they can.
    It could have been and was most likely a prosthetic breast. And although it is creepy, its not unheard of.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIAyxmlk5rg"]YouTube - English Woman Who Breastfeeds Her 7-year-old[/ame]

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Missed the past two episodes and haven't had a chance to watch, but picking back up tonight.

Stoked to hear how they've turned out, those were the parts of the book that really ratcheted it up for me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    Jamie rules
    Nobody who tries to kill Ned rules.

In all seriousness outside of "Jamie Rules" you have to understand that Jame and Tyrion are close. Without spoiling too much (and its been at least hinted if not outright said) not many people like Tyrion including his father (who actually literally hates him) so Jamie takes it upon himself to look after the dwarf.

It is also a pretty massive insult to his family. Lannister and Stark are both very very noble houses and both hold ward over parts of the kingdom (Lannister in the West and Stark in the North) and for Catelyn to just kidnap Tyrion and spirit him away to the Eyrie is a pretty massive slap in the face.

Tyrion was kidnapped on the evidence of fucking Littlefinger of all people. I think Jamie is pretty justified in trying to rescue his brother.
    Jamie tried to kill Bran. I dont really think that he's got any justification at all to be a bit pissed off about anything. He should be hanging his head in shame and taking whatever comes to his family.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one knows Jamie tried to kill Bran though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie does though. He should have a bit more chivalry instead of trying to goad Stark and his guard into a fight.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its Jamie that
    I'm going to be pretty fucked off.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie does though. He should have a bit more chivalry instead of trying to goad Stark and his guard into a fight.
    The Starks are enemies of the Lannisters though. Why would he be chivalrous when his only concern is his brother?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cos he fucking should Miotch. Cos its right and fair.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Book spoiler. Like don't even think of reading if you haven't read the first book.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not lying with you here alf, but I'm pretty much going to try and rush off the last three Dark Tower books so that I can get onto Game of Thrones. I need a bit of horse and sword mate. Horse and sword. I think thats why I liked the last book so much.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I would say just take a break from dark tower, but it's not like it would be a short break. All these books are too massive for their own good.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, at least Dark Tower has an end in sight. So when I'm done I'm done.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm onto the 3rd book now. Shit is CRAAAAAZY.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn't goad them into a fight he outright attacked them and with cause. His brother had been kidnapped. What kind of reaction did you want from him.

The rest of house Lannister are going to be pissed off because its a direct attack on their honour and they don't even like Tyrion, but Jamie on top of that will take offence to it on a personal level because he is very close to his brother (not in the way he is close to his sister am i rite).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Jamie Lannister was any kind of man he would-be told Ned that he was wrong for improving Tyrion for trying to kill Bran because in actuality it was Jamie himself who tried to kill him. Now if you must take this personally Ned, then you shall have to fight me man on man. That's what Ned would do in the situation. Own up and fight his corner.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did fight him and he would have beaten him as well because Jamie Lannister rules.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, who would win in a fight between Jamie Lannister and The Mountain?

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Mountain.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    We really need a book forum.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Well you can always start one. But the problem with doing that is do we only include people who have read all the way to the end? And with the new one coming out this summer do people have to finish reading that? Also to what extent do we expect people to have heard about what's going to be in the new book?

That's why it's best to just leave it in this thread and label your spoilers. You have figured out how to do them right?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Book forum would never fly because few people read anymore, and let's be frank the only reason that this thread and the Dark Tower thread generated anything is because a TV series/movies were set up based around them.

I preferred Rajah with the giant list of forums. When I came back I felt naked and the Asylum didn't exist anymore.

IN OTHER NEWS, I just re-read this chunk from the first book, so don't click if you haven't read:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, at least Dark Tower has an end in sight. So when I'm done I'm done.
    Yes, it does have a final book.

Pete, who would win in a fight between Jamie Lannister and The Mountain?
    Mountain.
    Oberyn Martell > *

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Now now, let's stay in the rules. Plus I disagree.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think you would call that a tie.

Also I wouldn't say the books are well written. There are lines in it that makes me literally roll my eyes especially when GRRM describes SEX but what he does create better than any fantasy author I have ever read is a world of intrigue where every character is playing his own game. That is what I told my girlfriend while we watched. Every character has his or her own angle. Next episode I will expand on that point because I suspect the major plot point that has been danced around will be revealed to the audience and that little piece of information is a huge motivation for a couple of the characters.

I mean characters like Littlefinger and Varys aren't the only schemers

Alf
    Book spoiler. Like don't even think of reading if you haven't read the first book.

Alf
    I was really impressed with the choreography for the Ned vs Jaime fight.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would think you would call that a tie.

Also I wouldn't say the books are well written. There are lines in it that makes me literally roll my eyes especially when GRRM describes SEX but what he does create better than any fantasy author I have ever read is a world of intrigue where every character is playing his own game.
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say by well-written, I suppose. And the way every chapter builds itself and ends with intrigue just makes you want to read the next one, which always focuses on another person and builds the same way and so on and so forth until it's 2 AM and you need to go to bed.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say by well-written, I suppose. And the way every chapter builds itself and ends with intrigue just makes you want to read the next one, which always focuses on another person and builds the same way and so on and so forth until it's 2 AM and you need to go to bed.

What I love most is about what he leaves unsaid so you have to fill in the gaps yourself.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Judas dont read that. That's a 4 book spoiler

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    God bless you, Pablo, and God damn you, Alf, for attempting to trick me.

Alf
    Shit. Sorry mate. Didn't realise.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    All good in the hood, my man.

Going to start the second book this weekend, BOOM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I was really impressed with the choreography for the Ned vs Jaime fight.
    Don't know if it was me or it was the way it was supposed to be, but Ned's movements seemed really slow.

Still it was a nice little fight. That was nasty that guy getting his eye speared.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it looked pretty clear within the fight that just before he was speared, Ned bounced back and seemed to have a smile on his face to suggest that he had Jamie's number. That was a look of confidence.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it as Jamie being a bit quicker (based on the distanced sword play) while Ned was stronger (based on the lock up). Jamie was pretty confident going in, but you could see by the end he was realizing Stark was definitely a good match and Ned was realizing it too. You could see Jamie's face become a bit more serious and worried while Ned got a bit of a smile.

Which, as a book fan, I liked. Its well established in the Books that Jamie is one of, if not the, best swordsmen in all of Westeros. We don't ever really get to see Ned get into it, but we do have an idea that he has to be somewhat decent as he took on and somehow defeated one of the greatest swordsmen of all time in that world in Arthur Dayne. But we never really get to see he and Jamie go at it. So it was nice to see it on screen, and to see Ned holding his own and maybe, just maybe, even in his older age being able to best him if given the time.

Really liked the fight scene all around.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Ned being slower, let's not forget the fact that his sword is the size of a half grown tree.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he was using ice

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Only the Brother's Clegane can use their FUCK OFF size swords regularly.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I took it as Jamie being a bit quicker (based on the distanced sword play) while Ned was stronger (based on the lock up). Jamie was pretty confident going in, but you could see by the end he was realizing Stark was definitely a good match and Ned was realizing it too. You could see Jamie's face become a bit more serious and worried while Ned got a bit of a smile.

Which, as a book fan, I liked. Its well established in the Books that Jamie is one of, if not the, best swordsmen in all of Westeros. We don't ever really get to see Ned get into it, but we do have an idea that he has to be somewhat decent as he took on and somehow defeated one of the greatest swordsmen of all time in that world in Arthur Dayne. But we never really get to see he and Jamie go at it. So it was nice to see it on screen, and to see Ned holding his own and maybe, just maybe, even in his older age being able to best him if given the time.

Really liked the fight scene all around.
    Could well be Jamie was just fast in his movement, but it was nice to see Ned hold his own and like you said it was a pretty nice fight scene.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steady on Ned is only three years older than Jamie *nerd*

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing about Jamie, not only for him getting it on with his fit sister is that I already want to kill him myself. I was cheering on Ned all the way.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie was knighted at 15 and became a kingsguard not long afterwards. He was the fellow who killed the King lets not forget. Ned and Robert would have been like twenty during the rebellion. Jamie wasn't a foetus

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    One thing about Jamie, not only for him getting it on with his fit sister is that I already want to kill him myself. I was cheering on Ned all the way.
    b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but Jamie rules

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already hate him.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ned defeating Arthur Dayne is all the more reason I want fucking Howland Reed to get out of his fucking swamp and get to work revealing what actually happened at the tower of joy.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HOWLAND. What an annoying character he is. If he sits out the next book I will be furious.

I don't think there are any real spoilers in that. If anyone takes offence I will edit out whatever.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    I already hate him.
    Besides the sister fucking (and I suppose throwing Bran out of a window) Jamie is perfectly cool.