User Tag List

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOverBoston View Post

I'd consider myself a Smith fan, but by no means a die-hard like so many others. "Jersey Girl" I didn't care for much at all, and "Clerks 2" was what it was, that being a sequel that came out a good decade too late minus so many of the elements that made the original so good. Still had its moments, of course, but a disappointment overall.

I do enjoy the rest of his catalog.
    What did you think was missing from Clerks 2? I thought it had all the charm of the first movie, the dialogue was almost on par, did a decent job of including modern day pop culture, really dug the love story between Dante and Rosario Dawson, had some funny cameos, the decent fart jokes and over the top moments, and I loved the ending.

I also bought All The Presidents Men, The Conversation and The Machinist today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "American Beauty" probably has something to say about that comment, as would the aforementioned "Rocky" -- at least "Crash" only had "Brokeback" as realistic competition (and all along you knew the Academy wouldn't have the balls to award "the gay cowboy movie" as its Best Picture), whereas as we've already noted, "Rocky" beat out at least a half dozen superior films.
    Not only would I disagree that American Beauty wasnt HUGELY worth its Oscar win, but I'd also point out that Titanic won Best Picture one year too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Titanic is a far better example, sure.

Fact is, I quite like "American Beauty", I think my mentioning that whatsoever was subconsciously triggered by the fact that it's a film that seems to get kicked around in that debate quite alot.

To be completely honest, I don't even remember what its competition was off the top of my head.

I'll still stand by the fact that I've very much preferred many other films to have won the award, though.

Lem - I didn't dislike "Clerks 2" but I definitly thought it fell far short of the original. It didn't answer any of the questions that the original may have left one wanting answered, I didn't like the dialogue as much, and last but not least whatsoever, it wasn't a black and white film shot on a $23,000 budget, nor did it even remotely resemble one, and that's something that I thought lent a huge degree of charm and authenticity to the original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The competition that year, from what I can remember (so I may have missed a couple) was very strong, but you could and would easily make a case for American Beauty to be the best of the bunch. In fact, IMDB seems to back that up, cos its the highest on their list out of those around that year. The Sixth Sense, The Insider, The Green Mile...all excellent, were also nominated that year, so was The Cider House Rules...good but not excellent. I also seem to recall Hilary Swank winning for Boys Dont Cry and Denzel Washington doing the interview rounds for The Hurricane too. Two films that were criminally overrated from that year were The Talented Mr. Ripley (in which Matt Damon really should've won a nomination) and Magnolia...which wasnt even nominated for best film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I certainly do like "American Beauty" more than all of those, and that is some pretty solid competition, so I stand corrected, and fuck those who continue to speak ill of "American Beauty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick check shows that I did in actual fact miss a pretty big one. The Matrix was also released in 1999.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and last but not least whatsoever, it wasn't a black and white film shot on a $23,000 budget, nor did it even remotely resemble one, and that's something that I thought lent a huge degree of charm and authenticity to the original.
    I can understand that to be fair. But then again, I liked the fact that we got a higher budget cleaner cut Clerks, as much as I love the total grass roots of the original. I kind've fits with the whole theme of 'growing up' thats involved with the film.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American Beauty was lame.

Oh wow, a plastic bag. How profound.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    American Beauty was lame.

Oh wow, a plastic bag. How profound.

yes family guy pointed this out in a quite funny moment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's overrated, right there.

There are few things I hate more than Family Guy.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLARE View Post
    Battle Royale: Immense, gruesome, intense and frightning, great ball-busting film.
    For the love of god please don't watch Battle Royale 2.

it's fucking terrible and that's putting it nicely

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I steal cable View Post
    For the love of god please don't watch Battle Royale 2.

it's fucking terrible and that's putting it nicely
    For sure, will back up this guys statment. If you don't want to ruin Battle Royale, then do not watch the second one.

As for the America Beauty debut, the movie was golden. Kevin Spacey was awesome in it and the storyline, while a little fucked up was humorous and a great drama. The acting was perfect and overall it was a great movie.

The whole bag thing was dumb, yeah, but it added to that kids character and it was original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American Splendor > American Gangster > American Psycho > American Graffiti > American Beauty > American History X

oh look, i like black ppl now pfffffffft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Excellent stuff. Have you read any other McCarthy/DeLillio books?
    Just McCarthy's Blood Meridian and The Road. I didn't really like The Road, but Blood had huge moments of absolute brilliance so I'm willing to give him another shot. Plus, COG's about a social outcast/necrophiliac, that's gotta be worth a read surely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American Splendor > American Gangster > American Psycho > American Graffiti > American Beauty > American History X

oh look, i like black ppl now pfffffffft
    Christ that reminds me, I've had American Splendor on DVD for about a year but not seen it yet. Giamatti!

Got Atonement sat here too. WHICH ONE FFS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't much like American Splendor. Just seemed incredibly dull to me.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought American Splendor was quite good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what Mary thinks.

Probably quite the contrary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got finished watching Capote. It was alright, nothing great though. I'd give it a 7/10. Hoffman's performance was excellent. 8.5/9 out of 10.

Bought a SHIT LOAD of DVD's tonight. Brokeback, Lost In Translation, American Psycho, Gladiator, Stardust, etc. Shall do me nicely for the rest of this week.

And any news on this VANTAGE POINT film? I saw Forest Whitaker on Jonathan Ross the other day (probably a Friday) and it intrigued me but when I saw DR. JACK in the trailer I almost ruptured my spleen.
    Last edited by The Truth; February 25th, 2008 at 9:41 PM.

the tooth is soft diamond House of Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Two films that were criminally overrated from that year were Magnolia...
    Don't even start with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I wonder what Mary thinks.
    I try not to, it hurts when I do

American Splendor is the dog's bollocks though

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Has anyone seen Stephen Poliakoff's Capturing Mary?

Made for TV film, along with Joe's Palace (which is also excellent by the way). It features Maggie Smith, Ruth Wilson, Danny Lee Wynter.. but perhaps most notably - DAVID WALLIAMS. That's right. David Walliams is in it. And he is fucking brilliant.

Seriously, I cannot stress enough how great he is in this. His character is stunning. Anyway, it's fucking awesome.

WATCH IT.

PurePlayer
    A quick check shows that I did in actual fact miss a pretty big one. The Matrix was also released in 1999.
    American Beauty was the best picture that year in my opinion. I don't know how anyone can say it wasn't deserving considering the other movies involved. Yes the Matrix, Insider, Green Mile, Sixth Sense were all great movies but not good enough where one can say American Beauty was not deserving.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I like The Green Mile a hell of a lot more than American Beauty, personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    And any news on this VANTAGE POINT film? I saw Forest Whitaker on Jonathan Ross the other day (probably a Friday) and it intrigued me but when I saw DR. JACK in the trailer I almost ruptured my spleen.
    All of the reputable reviews I've seen seem to agree that it's medicore at best, nothing we haven't already seen before and your good action sequences are all heavily displayed in the trailer. My friends who saw it pretty much echoed that.

I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD, but I'm not exactly anxiously awaiting that day, either.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeHead469
    For sure, will back up this guys statment
    Perhaps you ought to be sure that it's actually a guy whose statement you're backing up before referring to her as such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Pancakes View Post
    Don't even start with me.

In actuality, I meant to type UNDER-rated. Magnolia and The Talented Mr. Ripley were both great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Christ that reminds me, I've had American Splendor on DVD for about a year but not seen it yet. Giamatti!

Got Atonement sat here too. WHICH ONE FFS
    Atonement.

A special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw White Heat for the first time yesterday. Really enjoyable film, and Cagney does a great job in it.

As to the American Beauty debate, I agree with Ringo that I enjoyed The Green Mile more, but I still thought that American Beauty was good enough that I can't complain about it being named the Best Picture of that year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you ought to be sure that it's actually a guy whose statement you're backing up before referring to her as such.
    aint no thang

I always assume that most of the people who post on here are just useless dipshits, but then I'm usually justified in thinking that way.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    No one has seen Capturing Mary then?

Do. David Walliams > Most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched There's Something About Mary like 2 weeks ago if that would make you feel any better

it's not some period drama is it this Capturing Mary?

The good ole' days...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo, woo.. don't get all hostile now. I apologize I am not personal friends with everyone on the board and I do not review there profiles.

aint no thang

I always assume that most of the people who post on here are just useless dipshits, but then I'm usually justified in thinking that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently been watching a lot of the X-Men cartoon from the 90's. I loved it back in the day and got pretty excited when I saw that someone had uploaded all 5 seasons.

I wondered whether I'd enjoy as much as I once did, and I gotta say, I'm liking it even more. As a kid I really didn't understand any of the issues that the cartoon dealt with, but there seem to be a good deal of social and political issues adressed throughout. Last night for example, I watched an episode that was basically a parody and commentary on the LA Riots, and there's also stuff about US relations and Cyberculture (to name just two areas) mentioned throughout.

I'd say it's overtaken Transformers as my favourite cartoon (bar The Simpsons). Well written and a lot of adult appeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeHead469 View Post
    Woo, woo.. don't get all hostile now. I apologize I am not personal friends with everyone on the board and I do not review there profiles.
    Don't fret, I'm just gonna make it my main mission in life to take you down

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Lem View Post
    I've recently been watching a lot of the X-Men cartoon from the 90's. I loved it back in the day and got pretty excited when I saw that someone had uploaded all 5 seasons.

I wondered whether I'd enjoy as much as I once did, and I gotta say, I'm liking it even more. As a kid I really didn't understand any of the issues that the cartoon dealt with, but there seem to be a good deal of social and political issues adressed throughout. Last night for example, I watched an episode that was basically a parody and commentary on the LA Riots, and there's also stuff about US relations and Cyberculture (to name just two areas) mentioned throughout.

I'd say it's overtaken Transformers as my favourite cartoon (bar The Simpsons). Well written and a lot of adult appeal.
    fuckin' a

I watched a few of the new X-men cartoons which came out and I didn't think too much of them. Well, I stopped watching them but my sister carried on watching. She told me they had got better as it went on. Might d/l them whenever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [color=pink]
    fuckin' a

I watched a few of the new X-men cartoons which came out and I didn't think too much of them. Well, I stopped watching them but my sister carried on watching. She told me they had got better as it went on. Might d/l them whenever.
    Yah X-Men Evolution looked rubbish. the art work alone put me off ever giving it a try.

I'm currently watching Ghost in the Shell, gotta watch it for Uni, and I'm really not liking it. First Anime I've ever watched, can't say I'll be watching any more any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, generally, hate anime.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Anime (minus Studio Ghibli) =

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, generally, hate anime.
    I was willing to give it a go, and didn't impress me one bit. Damn shame there seem to be a lot of people in my class who are into it. The Anime city got the bump over Berlin as a city on one of my modules last year after a class vote. Needless to say I was pissed off and bunked that lecture.

Walking the earth The Masked Jobber's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought Peter Jackson's best film he directed was Braindead.

I WAS WRONG

Meet the Feebles has to be like the best film ever.
    haha hellz yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    topless hippo going columbine = class

also, I never thought i'd see a cat give a walrus head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw A Clockwork Orange last night.

Greatness.

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first time?

It terrified me. Now it makes me laugh.

Hell is for Heroes Second City Saint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the book, the ending's a bit different.

But Kubrick is fucking awesome; Dr. Strangelove, 2001, the Shining, and Clockwork are among my favorite movies ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever met a woman that likes Kevin Smith. His humor or his movies.
    I love Kevin Smith - his humor AND his movies. I don't laugh insanely at the movies as I did the first time I seen them, but I do appreciate the humor that, at the time, was so far out-there and so far-gone than anything I was used to.

Anyone else see "Across the Universe" lately?

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post

Anyone else see "Across the Universe" lately?
    Gave it a second full viewing when the DVD came out. Fucking love that movie.

Fun little picture I saw this past weekend. In Bruges. Really funny stuff. Kinda Pulp Fiction-ish with the dialouge and such. But not to a point where you think they literally just sat there and copied the fucking movie. Only real gripe is TOO much dark in the dark comedy idea. The reason they have to hide out in Bruges kinda kills any jokes you hear for the next 20 minutes.

And WWE needs to take a page out of this when it comes to midget humor. No classic Looney Tunes skits. Make Hornswoggle a racist who has a drug and whore addiction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the trailer for In Bruges today, looked pretty good. I worry though that it's the kind of film where all the best jokes are laid out in the trailer so there's little but plot for you to take in when you actually see it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    I saw the trailer for In Bruges today, looked pretty good. I worry though that it's the kind of film where all the best jokes are laid out in the trailer so there's little but plot for you to take in when you actually see it.
    I thought the exact same thing. Two of the best lines are in the trailer. "If I'd grown up on a farm and was retarded..." and the part with the fat American's being told they couldn't get up the steps. But there's plenty more than that to offer.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want to know the best thing you could spend 99 cents on? Go to iTunes, search for Semi-Pro and a song called "Love Me Sexy" you shall not regret it.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of Semi-Pro, is anyone else getting tired of Will Ferrell's schtick? I still find it funny on some level, but the guy basically plays the same character in every single comedy he's in, and it's getting to the point where it feels kinda pathetic.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It still cracks me up to no end. And honestly, I used to not really like Will Ferrell. He didn't win me over til after he left SNL and the bit part in Jay and Silent Bob.

Jack Black on the other hand I think I'm worn out on. Though I still sorta want to watch Be Kind Rewind.

Ooh he's written it down.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSpCWJnnWVI

Goodness me. I don't know what to think upon watching this. It looks both ridiculous/stupid and hilarious/awesome at the same time.

Boom goes the dynamite!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really liked Will Ferrall. I must be one of the few to hate Old School and Anchorman, although I did surprisingly enjoy Talledega Nights.

I would agree with you on Jack Black as well, as I haven't really enjoyed much of his movies, although, I think he is a good actor, if he stays away from the over the top comedies he likes so much. I almost see Black as a young Danny Devito. Does the crazy stuff, sometimes much to our displeasure, but can put out a role outside of his norm that's pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream-Evil View Post

Goodness me. I don't know what to think upon watching this. It looks both ridiculous/stupid and hilarious/awesome at the same time.
    oh. my. god.

words can't describe...

I need to see that movie

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new favourite film.

that's brilliant.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking Christ that looks insane!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone should make a thread about this film

Hell is for Heroes Second City Saint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am absolutely astonished that didn't say 'a quentin terrantino film' at the end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather watch a full version of Machete
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCHGwXa2mTk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Pan's Labyrinth the other day, and there was one thing that struck me early on: I think that is the first time I can recall hearing someone speak Spanish who wasn't from Mexico (I'm from the U.S.) Just seemed odd.

Great movie by the way. Was a little angry at the beginning because I watched it On Demand and they failed to mention the subtitles, but I didn't even notice them after a few minutes.

Ivana Baquero was GREAT in this, in my opinion. It's nice to see a child actor/actress that doesn't play the "kid" role. 3.5 / 4 star movie for me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Foleybumps View Post
    Watched Pan's Labyrinth the other day, and there was one thing that struck me early on: I think that is the first time I can recall hearing someone speak Spanish who wasn't from Mexico (I'm from the U.S.) Just seemed odd.
    Wow.

Sheltered or what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Machine Girl thing looks incredible.

DRILL BRA

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    The flying guillotine was the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Wow.

Sheltered or what.
    Don't believe so. It's just all I ever meet here in the states are Mexicans. There's lots, trust me.

Also, maybe I couldn't even tell the difference between the two in actual conversation. So it's possible I have heard one before, but it was just the tone of the movie that was different.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its actually fairly common in the States.

About 50 million Mexicans and about 1 million Spaniards will make it that way.

Note: Those numbers are way off, but I guarantee than its skewed roughly the way I suggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh.
    Last edited by foleybumps; February 27th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream-Evil View Post

Holy shit, that looks insane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it me or The Nanny was a bloody good tv show?

it's just me?

nm, carry on

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They relied alot on how amusing it was that her voice was really annoying, but it was surprisingly well written if you go back and watch it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thankyou, I think I'll now sing your praises in that thread in da asylum

Anywayz, It just pisses me off that it's not all out on DVD. I'm having to d/l it with my shitty version of vista which is taking fecking forever.

There's only so many time you can watch The Beautician and the Beast

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Children of Men has to be the best movie I've seen in years.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    You can't have seen "White Chicks" yet, then. Get on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, then after that go watch Norbit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetony View Post
    I hear this quite a lot. Am I the only one who thought this was a very poor movie? Help me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetony View Post
    Good deal, Netflix is sending it out to me today so I should have it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear this quite a lot. Am I the only one who thought this was a very poor movie? Help me.
    oh dear, oh fucking dear

I'd leave before Mik returns here.

How the fuck in your eyes is this a shite film?

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I've never really liked Will Ferrall. I must be one of the few to hate Old School and Anchorman, although I did surprisingly enjoy Talledega Nights.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. For fuck's sake, yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh dear, oh fucking dear

I'd leave before Mik returns here.

How the fuck in your eyes is this a shite film?
    Well, two things may have played a part in this: one, I was drinking; two, from the beginning I could tell this was one of those movies with a very lofty goal. That said, I will make time to watch it again in the next few days and I will let you know if anything changes.

I remember two things really bothering me, though. First was the denoument, the scene where all the shooting and bombing stops because the baby is crying. To someone who has never seen the movie before, that is probably a rather humorous description of a scene. It was to me as well, with this potentially powerful situation ruined by the ridiculous way in which it happened. On top of that, THE FIGHTING RESUMES ONCE THE CHILD IS GONE. Am I really the only one who thought that this was almost nonsensical? I mean, if "humanity" didn't see the error of their ways, then what is there for us to take away from the movie? Let's follow the plot:

The Build up:
    I. People can no longer have children, therefore
    II. There is no future for humanity, therefore
    III. There is nothing to live for, therefore
    IV. Lawlessness and civil unrest take over.

The Climax:
    I. A newly born child is discovered, therefore
    II. At least one person can have a child, therefore
    III. There presumably is going to be a future for humanity, therefore
    IV. Lawlessness and civil unrest cease to ensure the child's survival

The Conclusion
    I. The civil unrest and fighting continue once the child is safe

That last one really ruins the symmetry of the film in my eyes, look:

(Scene is two people fighting)

Person 1: I'm going to kill you.
    Person 2: Don't shoot, I think I hear a baby crying.
    Person 1: Oh, you're right, let's let them through.
    Person 2: What a cute baby.
    Person 1: I guess there is hope for a better tomorrow
    (baby leaves)
    Person 1: Alright, the baby's gone, now I'm going to finish killing you.

Way to put an optimistic spin on humanity. And before anyone says that it would be unreasonable for them to forget their differences in the middle of fighting, I want to point out how unreasonable it is for them to all stop fighting for the crying baby, which they really shouldn't be able to hear.

This and the sung that played during the credits seemed so completely out of place for the way the movie ended that I actually lol'd.

Like I said, I will watch it again, but that probably will not change my opinion on the ending, assuming I remembered it correctly. Sorry in advance, Mik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecutioner View Post
    Yes. For fuck's sake, yes.
    How in anyway is Children of Men a poor film? Seriously?

Even if you didn't like the storyline, I'd say it's one of the most innovative pieces of film making I've seen in the past few years.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you didn't like the storyline, I'd say it's one of the most innovative pieces of film making I've seen in the past few years.
    Lemmy, he asked if he was the only one who didn't like it. Hence my response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah sorry. The way you responded there made me think that you where relieved to find someone who agreed with you. Glad to know that's not the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's because I felt they could have done more with a novel set-up. What aspect of the film are you referring to when you say "innovative"? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering.

Haha, I was actually a bit confused on that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's because I felt they could have done more with a novel set-up. What aspect of the film are you referring to when you say "innovative"? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering.
    The script in general with many of the ideas was something that seemed very original. Yeah we've seen plenty of terrorists before, but with the whole issue of time it seemed very unique.

The setting and actual urbn sets where phenomenal. One of the best battlegrounds I've ever seen created I think. The sheer broadness of the urban setting was impressive, especially what was basically a concentration camp (was it actually given a name?), which had such a cool gritty look to it that did a lot to enhance the general mood of the film.

Obviously the consistency and sheer length and ground covered in some of sequences that where covered in one shot, was an innovative and quite brilliantly executed piece of film making. 7 minutes keeping in one fucking shot while running around all over the place, and on different levels as well. How could you not be impressed? Basically made for some of the most exciting and tense action scenes I've ever seen, and to pull it off in such a way is a testament to the talent of all those involved.

I also liked a lot of the social points made throughout the film, that make you question the current society that we live in, as well as censorpship, imigration and potential coruption.

I thought it was unique seeing a dystopian Britian, something that I can't ever recall seeing, aside from 28 Days Later. I thought Children of Men pulled of the dystopian element a lot better though, in showing what is almost the ultimate failure of society.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the fighting continuing at the end makes perfect sense. These people aren't just killing each other because no-one can have babies. It's about greater issues of social control and a power struggle and all that, but neither side is stupid enough to blow up a baby when one suddenly appears in their midst.

The one-shot scenes were mind blowing, but also incredible in how much they fit. It didn't jar me at all to suddenly realise "we haven't changed angles in a while", it was a pleasant surprise but things were so intense that was just a quick thought that didn't drag me out of the film. It did several things I've just never seen done before.
    Last edited by The_Mike; February 29th, 2008 at 9:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Children of Men was great.

Just finished watching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Was great, highlighted by Casey Affleck and some really awesome cinematography.

Also, Zooey Deschanel looking cute near the end of the movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, two things may have played a part in this: one, I was drinking; two, from the beginning I could tell this was one of those movies with a very lofty goal. That said, I will make time to watch it again in the next few days and I will let you know if anything changes.

I remember two things really bothering me, though. First was the denoument, the scene where all the shooting and bombing stops because the baby is crying. To someone who has never seen the movie before, that is probably a rather humorous description of a scene. It was to me as well, with this potentially powerful situation ruined by the ridiculous way in which it happened. On top of that, THE FIGHTING RESUMES ONCE THE CHILD IS GONE. Am I really the only one who thought that this was almost nonsensical? I mean, if "humanity" didn't see the error of their ways, then what is there for us to take away from the movie? Let's follow the plot:

The Build up:
    I. People can no longer have children, therefore
    II. There is no future for humanity, therefore
    III. There is nothing to live for, therefore
    IV. Lawlessness and civil unrest take over.

The Climax:
    I. A newly born child is discovered, therefore
    II. At least one person can have a child, therefore
    III. There presumably is going to be a future for humanity, therefore
    IV. Lawlessness and civil unrest cease to ensure the child's survival

The Conclusion
    I. The civil unrest and fighting continue once the child is safe

That last one really ruins the symmetry of the film in my eyes, look:

(Scene is two people fighting)

Person 1: I'm going to kill you.
    Person 2: Don't shoot, I think I hear a baby crying.
    Person 1: Oh, you're right, let's let them through.
    Person 2: What a cute baby.
    Person 1: I guess there is hope for a better tomorrow
    (baby leaves)
    Person 1: Alright, the baby's gone, now I'm going to finish killing you.

Way to put an optimistic spin on humanity. And before anyone says that it would be unreasonable for them to forget their differences in the middle of fighting, I want to point out how unreasonable it is for them to all stop fighting for the crying baby, which they really shouldn't be able to hear.

This and the sung that played during the credits seemed so completely out of place for the way the movie ended that I actually lol'd.

Like I said, I will watch it again, but that probably will not change my opinion on the ending, assuming I remembered it correctly. Sorry in advance, Mik.
    That is a very excellent post, you make very sensible points in a fair and even fashion. I completely understand them, though I dont necessarily think that the drink will have helped your interpretation at all. In fairness, its not supposed to be a hugely optimistic spin on humanity. To me, that scene is a clue that one child will not save humanity, the world has gone to ruin, it doesnt need 'saving' in needs rebuilding and one child will not necessarily do that. They are awestruck by it (hence the ceasing of violence momentarily), but ultimately it is just a temporary measure. If you notice, it is the rebellion who begin the fighting again, a rocket in launched from a window into an army tank and everyone reverts to type. The title of the film does allude to what I'm saying here. Children of Men comes from the bible quote:

"Lord, thou hast been our refuge: from one generation to another. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever the earth and the world were made: thou art God from everlasting, and world without end. Thou turnest man to destruction: again thou sayest, Come again, ye children of men. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday: Seeing that is past as a watch in the night".
    My interpretation is that humanity has a habit of destroying itself, the child is the beginning of salvation. Which mixes in with your second point about the song at the end credits. I think of Kee and her child as being A story, ONE story. The laughter at the end and the sound of kids playing and having fun suggests to me that there were other stories, other people making their way to The Human Project. I thought of it as being like a Noah's Ark where humanity will be rebuilt and thus the laughter and the playfulness sculpts our interpretation into thinking that there is hope for this humanity because of the journeys that have been made to that boat, one of which we were privvy too.

Thats just my interpretation though.

The script in general with many of the ideas was something that seemed very original. Yeah we've seen plenty of terrorists before, but with the whole issue of time it seemed very unique.

The setting and actual urbn sets where phenomenal. One of the best battlegrounds I've ever seen created I think. The sheer broadness of the urban setting was impressive, especially what was basically a concentration camp (was it actually given a name?), which had such a cool gritty look to it that did a lot to enhance the general mood of the film.

Obviously the consistency and sheer length and ground covered in some of sequences that where covered in one shot, was an innovative and quite brilliantly executed piece of film making. 7 minutes keeping in one fucking shot while running around all over the place, and on different levels as well. How could you not be impressed? Basically made for some of the most exciting and tense action scenes I've ever seen, and to pull it off in such a way is a testament to the talent of all those involved.

I also liked a lot of the social points made throughout the film, that make you question the current society that we live in, as well as censorpship, imigration and potential coruption.

I thought it was unique seeing a dystopian Britian, something that I can't ever recall seeing, aside from 28 Days Later. I thought Children of Men pulled of the dystopian element a lot better though, in showing what is almost the ultimate failure of society.
    This is also another exceptionally good post too. Children of Men is a wonderfully clever and innovative film, even if you did not enjoy it. The attention to detail is incredible. Just check out the IMDB Trivia page to see how:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/trivia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a different note, there is an exceptional deal on DVDs and suchlike at Play at the moment. Loads for a fiver. So far, I've earmarked all of the following, but I cant afford them all. Help me decide which to put back:

A Clockwork Orange (5.1) (Cult Classics Collection) (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

A Scanner Darkly (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

As Good As It Gets (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Fargo: Special Edition (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Life Is Beautiful (La Vita e Bella) (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Notes On A Scandal (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Once Upon A Time In America - Special Edition (2 Discs) (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Stranger Than Fiction (2006) (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Sunshine (2007) (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The Basketball Diaries (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The Dreamers (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The English Patient - Special Edition (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The Good Shepherd (2006) (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The Last Of The Mohicans (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The Science Of Sleep (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut (Region 2 DVD)
    DVD Region 2

£5.00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the fighting continuing at the end makes perfect sense. These people aren't just killing each other because no-one can have babies. It's about greater issues of social control and a power struggle and all that, but neither side is stupid enough to blow up a baby when one suddenly appears in their midst.

The one-shot scenes were mind blowing, but also incredible in how much they fit. It didn't jar me at all to suddenly realise "we haven't changed angles in a while", it was a pleasant surprise but things were so intense that was just a quick thought that didn't drag me out of the film. It did several things I've just never seen done before.
    You heard of Russian Ark?

Two hour movie - one camera, one take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness, there are lots of films with very long takes in them. Few have the long takes as complex as Children of Men. Admittedly, Russian Ark is an incredible achievement, but in all honesty, it has a very documentary feel to it. Its also fairly sloppy at times. Its also not the first movie to do such a thing. I consider a very action packed long take like those in Children of Men or Atonement to be more impressive than the long take in Russian Ark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the film isn't very good at all really.

The filming is quite impressive though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Also, the long shot in the car in Children of Men is incredible innovative. In that they invented a new machine for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mik, you should put back As Good as It Gets and Sunshine. The former is on Channel 4 every fortnight it seems, and the latter is just awful from everyone I've heard who has gone to see it.

I have seen other films with looong takes, though I've not heard of this Russian Ark. I might give it a look out of curiosity. But Children of Men, as Mik says, was doing long takes in the middle of very complex sequences which required incredible engineering to pull off. The complexities of setting that stuff up must've been enormous, and yet it seems so effortless on screen, to the point it just flows. The one in Atonement was really well done too, complete with incredible emotion. I like that in both you don't really have time to pause and reflect on the chaos that's going on, it just keeps coming without any interruption.
    Last edited by The_Mike; March 1st, 2008 at 2:21 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunshine was pretty god damn bad. I liked the first, like, half hour but after that, BOO! Some of the visuals are incredible, but the movie makes no sense and the twists are ridiculous.

I always liked that super long take of Ray Liotta and his wife rolling in to the restaurant in Goodfellas. At least, I think that was Goodfellas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mik, you should put back As Good as It Gets and Sunshine. The former is on Channel 4 every fortnight it seems, and the latter is just awful from everyone I've heard who has gone to see it.
    The site which I use to find out about cheap DVD's is this one, and just cause a film is played fortnightly doesn't mean you shouldn't have it in your collection. Educating Rita is played loads on Sky Movies but I wouldn't dream of it not being on my dvd shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked that super long take of Ray Liotta and his wife rolling in to the restaurant in Goodfellas. At least, I think that was Goodfellas.
    Yeah everything about that whole shot is awesome. Really adds to Henry Hill's character and status while being totally impressive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the fuck?

For Christ's sake, the very premise of this remake completely kills the whole dynamic of the movie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't even a remake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah everything about that whole shot is awesome. Really adds to Henry Hill's character and status while being totally impressive.
    Yeah. I think that it really helps you get into Karen's shoes too. The kind of intoxicating disorientation of power shows you how easy it was for her to fall for the lifestyle of such a dangerous world and man.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone besides me ever seen this?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't post here much, do a lot of lurking, but I just want to give foleybumb props for being a poster with few posts and with a different oppinion, and then intelligently stating their views, very refreshing.

I was expecting you to be an idiot...nope congrats...post more.

and one for mik to and acknowledging the guy not being an idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    I don't post here much, do a lot of lurking, but I just want to give foleybumb props for being a poster with few posts and with a different oppinion, and then intelligently stating their views, very refreshing.

I was expecting you to be an idiot...nope congrats...post more.

and one for mik to and acknowledging the guy not being an idiot.

I also want to give foleybumb props for his oppinion.

The fact that his post had more than 2 sentences put me off from reading it. I'm glad he has some more literate friends than me though (not that it's difficult - lol) that read through it all and appreciated his points of view. Fair play mate, fair play.