User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Media

Simon

The Media

Thought I'd make a little topic regarding where you go for your football information, entertainment and the like.

My first port of call for football information is, predictably, Football365. I enjoy the combination of straight-laced information and 'witty banter' (I hate this expression, but it's the correct one to describe the style). It has a throw-enough-shit outlook whereby it pretty much posts every story that breaks, always with a disclaimer unless it's confirmed by legitimate sources, in order that you can get your fill of not only the cast-iron facts, but the rumours and stories too.

Of course, I don't believe anything to be confirmed until it turns up on the BBC website. I don't care if I'm sitting in front of Sky Sports News and watching Portsmouth's latest African signing paraded around Fratton Park as their record signing - if it hasn't been announced by the BBC, I'm going to assume he's only on loan and it isn't properly above board.

Both The Times and The Guardian are great for mainstream media coverage, certainly the best quality reporting and opinion pieces you'll read in print. They tend to demand greater verification on their rumours than other newspapers, which means that while their rumours are hardly worth putting your house on, they can be treated with greater seriousness than something you read in any of the tabs. An obvious point, I know.

Finally, I've REALLY started to get into my podcasts recently. The three best ones, by a country miles, are The Game podcast from The Times, Football Weekly from The Guardian, and The Football Ramble which, as far as I'm aware, is an independent production. Regardless of what type of fan you are, one of those podcasts will suit you. The Game is a serious, hard-nosed look at the game, concentrating on the Premier League and the English sides in Europe. Phill Jupitus hosts but plays it straight, with Gab Marcotti the opinionated sidekick. It's an enjoyable listen if a little impersonal the way it plays it straight with stats and facts.

The Football Ramble is the polar opposite. I appreciate this makes it sound like crap, but it is pretty much four lads sitting around chatting about football, having a laugh and giving their opinions. It's 'lads down the pub', except the lads are reasonably intelligent, reasonably professional, very funny and very likeable. I think a lot of us would like to think that we could do a decent football podcast, but realistically know it would be crap. These guys are like us, except they've made it very good. The emphasis is very much on humour and banter, but the boys are very knowledgeable about the game and work in football media so they present the show reasonably well.

And if those two sound too polarised towards seriousness or fun, the Football Weekly podcast is a blend of the two. Plus it has James Richardson and Barry Glendenning. That's all you need to know. All three of those podcasts are on iTunes, and all three are must-listen material for me. Less so The Game, but whatever.

So what are you listening to, reading or watching?

Simon
    You pieces of shit.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I type 'Sunderland' into NewsNow.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by JIJ View Post

Simon
    The Football Weekly podcast begins again this Thursday. I can't recommend it highly enough, and getting in at the start would be a great move for the uninitiated.

Simon
    http://www.thefootballramble.co.uk/

Download from there. Honestly, it is brilliant. I think calling it "ladsy" was actually a bit harsh as they are very knowledgeable about the game, have an interest in all levels and numerous countries (especially South America), they're a very likeable bunch (particularly Luke and Pete) and...well, it's just really good.

I urge you all to give it a try. This and Football Weekly are essential listening for any football fan.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 98% sure http://www.theworldgame.com.au/ is the only football site on the internet.

Simon
    http://media.libsyn.com/media/footba...0909Final3.mp3

Link to the latest Football Ramble podcast for you pums.

Andy
    Stop forcing this fucking thing upon us all Simon, it's only driving us further away!

Simon
    LISTEN TO IT.

LISTEN.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my email read out this week Simon.

HOOOO.

Simon
    I'm just about to listen now, don't spoil it for me. Was just speaking to Luke a minute ago on Twitter, top bloke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say, there is one small lie in my email.

Simon
    Michael Ward?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simon
    No Champo for you. Good story though. What was the lie? Uni's eighth team?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye.

Gutted I didn't get the Champo

Simon
    I want to win it one day just so I can send the lads an e-mail saying I traded in Champo and bought FM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know what is in the "goody bag" apart from the actual game.

Considering you could have bought the game a month ago for £2.51, it's hardly a cracking prize.

Simon
    The real glory is in getting the email read out. Have you heard the show from a month or so ago when a Scottish schoolkid emailed in about his teacher letting them listen to the show in class? Fucking hilarious, the Ramble lads are in hysterics over it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that one and the guy who took his shirt off in the middle of a game to see if he'd get booked, were class.

Simon
    Lukey talking about the Robbo trial, he got that from me

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should send him a list of every story in that thread.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the terrible thread name I thought I would post. Anyone listen to monday night club on five live? Normally really interesting. Motson speaks so much sense, a genuinely knowledgable man despite the impression his commentary gives at times

Simon
    I can't say I've listened myself, but it wouldn't surprise me - David Pleat is immensely knowledgeable about the game and his tactical analysis in The Guardian is both interesting and informative...but put him behind a microphone and he loses his shit.

A football site I've just found that looks half-decent:

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I write for them.

Simon
    Course you do big man.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually having read the site I take it back.

That's shit Simon what the fuck?

Alf
    Are you a comedy writer Jidge? Si is interested in getting into writing comedy. Maybe you should give him some advice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Barry Glendenning.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Are you a comedy writer Jidge? Si is interested in getting into writing comedy. Maybe you should give him some advice.
    I'd love to review his comedy.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by turdpower View Post
    I love Barry Glendenning.
    He really is great. Jimbo is fantastic and I'm a fan of Sean Ingle and Kevin McCarra, but a pod without Barry is nowhere near as good. Ideal pod for me would be Jimbo hosting, Glendenning with the wry cynicism, Lukey Moore from the Ramble providing "witty banter" and Gab Marcotti from The Game with the stats and indignance. And of course I'd make time for Sid Lowe to report from Spain, he's the man.

EDIT: Don't know if you agree turdy, but I decided the other day that Lukey Moore really reminds me of Russell Howard. Partly the voice and partly the sense of humour.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'd go along with that. I do like Marcus though, but obviously Richardson is class. I think it was the last podcast where they just went completely off topic and talked about his "failed" TV career.

I do like Lukey and I can see what you mean. I saw him on Sky News, not the best looking chap, certainly made for Radio. Clearly very knowledgeable about the game too.

Simon
    What I like about him is that he doesn't bullshit. When he doesn't know much about a player, he will say so. A lot of people have a tendency to use what little knowledge they have of a player to form a full opinion - they see 20 minutes of a player and assume that is what he's like in general.

I'm not a massive fan of Marcus. I suppose he does his job insofar as he reigns in the rest of the Ramble team, and he knows his stuff, but I find him a little dull. Certainly the worst of the four. I get the feeling that Pete is really into Newcastle and loves watching and playing football, but doesn't have a huge knowledge football the way the rest do. I like James or Jim simply because he's so angry about everything.

You should make a Football Ramble thread where we can talk about the weekly shenanigans. This week's was good fun, just finished listening to it on my lunch break. I loved the reference to "Two Seats" Martin Samuel.
    Last edited by Simon; December 3rd, 2009 at 9:27 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listened to it. Hate the sound of Luke.

Might just stick to the monday night club and that's got Steve Claridge in it so that says a lot

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I download the World Football Phone-In from Radio 5 Up All Night every week. Wish they'd shut Sean Wheelock up a bit when hes on because he drones on and Vickery is obviously alot more interesting, but great show nonetheless.

Simon
    What is the outline of the Monday Night Show? I might have to download it and give it a go.

SOF, maybe you will never like it and as I said it may be that the London voice is annoying to you and that is something you won't get over. I hate the Scouser on the Game podcast even though he clearly knows what he's talking about, I can't help it. But if you give it time, you may grow to like it. Even ignoring Luke, I think Pete and James or Jim are brilliant. Marcus is dull but keeps the show going with his links.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The monday night club is just a round-table show really but they get managers and the like phoning in regularly to have a really honest chat about thing. Motson gives real opinions and will tell Claridge when he's talking out of his arse.

Heard some really interesting stuff from people like Lee Clark and Martin Allen at different times. Love 5 live at night. They had a special on , during Richard Bacons usual slot, despression in sports around the time of the Inside Sport documentary. Very interesting.

Slightly off-topic but ECG did you watch season ticket last night about McConville? Found it all very interesting despite having zero interest in GAA

Simon
    How long is it? I'm gonna download it off the website now if possible and listen on the way hizome.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Oisin McConville is a bit of a mess I hear. I hear maybe a few of those Tyrone players are. It's the problem with GAA, you get guys being big stars in their counties but they don't get paid like stars at all, so if they have the tendency to be a bit of a twat it can get out of hand.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was talking very candidly about his gambling and they worked out his net spend was something like 500,000 and at the end he outright owed over 100,000 to people. Nice of them to do some proper journalism on that show. I heard the Jonny Evans episode was very interesting but overall just a bit of fluff really.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    How long is it? I'm gonna download it off the website now if possible and listen on the way hizome.
    Very short I have a feeling on the radio it's 40-45 minutes but the podcast is apparently 27 minutes. It's done normally in tandem with Championship coverage

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I like about him is that he doesn't bullshit. When he doesn't know much about a player, he will say so. A lot of people have a tendency to use what little knowledge they have of a player to form a full opinion - they see 20 minutes of a player and assume that is what he's like in general.

I'm not a massive fan of Marcus. I suppose he does his job insofar as he reigns in the rest of the Ramble team, and he knows his stuff, but I find him a little dull. Certainly the worst of the four. I get the feeling that Pete is really into Newcastle and loves watching and playing football, but doesn't have a huge knowledge football the way the rest do. I like James or Jim simply because he's so angry about everything.

You should make a Football Ramble thread where we can talk about the weekly shenanigans. This week's was good fun, just finished listening to it on my lunch break. I loved the reference to "Two Seats" Martin Samuel.
    We've basically hi-jacked this thread anyway

As I said in the other thread, I've just spent the past few weeks listening to all the old ones I could get my hands on. Not sure when you first started listening to it, but 07/08 (the first year) There's a bloke called CHRIS instead of Pete, who is clearly bully fodder and they just abuse. He left with no explanation and Pete came along and did shows every now and then and to begin with everytime he spoke about football it was Hartlepool related, so I dunno if he changed allegiances or what, but it's a little odd.

Also I saw on their facebook page that someone had mentioned about old podcasts. I commented that some of the old ones are brilliant but the first one is very amateurish. Luke responded saying that nobody has the first episode and that he didn't have the episode and he's in it. I told him the four people that were on it (James or Jim wasn't, another bloke was) and he never responded. I offered to send it to him, but he was having none of it.

I do recommend getting the old ones Si.

Simon
    I can't find a podcast, only a stream where did you find it?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might have been a stream. It was on a podcast directory website but they speak bollocks.

I normally just listen live. Listen now before you go home

Simon
    I'll have to have a look when I get home turdy but I definitely don't have them going back that far, I think the earliest one I have might be the very last one Chris did...certainly I've only heard one episode with him in it. He wasn't very good.

If I find out which ones I'm missing could you zip them up and send them to me? I'm missing one from much later as well that they said they couldn't find, haven't checked in a while though so maybe they have archived it now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've checked the archive and they've basically done all of 08/09. I have the second half of 07/08, the christmas special and the first episode.

Andy
    Anyone got an itunes link to the football ramble thing? I might give it a listen tonight.

I listen to the Monday Night Club sometimes and Motson is usually spot on. I just can't fucking stand Claridge so I can never really get that into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by J; April 9th, 2010 at 4:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Anyone got an itunes link to the football ramble thing? I might give it a listen tonight.

I listen to the Monday Night Club sometimes and Motson is usually spot on. I just can't fucking stand Claridge so I can never really get that into it.
    Just type in "football ramble" into the itunes store or go on their website and download it as an mp3.

I feel like Sean and advertising play.com

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really like Claridge either but he's more palatable on this than on football league highlights show or whatever.

Simon
    You mean you don't have to look at him

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah also Maneesh (sp?) is too nice to him on football league highlights. He won't dare correct or disagree with him. Motson just bangs right into it.

They were talking about video replays and Claridge and someone else said there are literally no reasons not to have it and football is a laughing stock for not having it. Motson said no you're being too simplistic there is of course issues integrating it and you can't do it on a knee-jerk like this you need proper investigations and I was shouting out YES SHUT UP CLARIDGE YOU STUPID FACE

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I had a listen to the Football Ramble last night. It was decent, fairly light entertainment. I had it on in the background while doing other things. I think I'll give an older episode a listen on the way home.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be honest Alex it was me who had swayed this a little for you

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It was the David Batty discussion that really hammered it home.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like David Batty and all but he's no Seth Johnson

Simon
    Seth Johnson is involved in arguably the best football story ever so you have to rate the boy.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the sweetest left foots you'll ever see as well especially when kicking someone in the bollocks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go listen to a few old ones, then you can hear my email get read out.

Simon
    TURDPLOPS WHERE ARE MY RAMBLES.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do it today or tomorrow for you. More likely to be tomorrow.

Simon
    I want it yesterday.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give Dr Who a call.

Simon
    New Ramble is out, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Andy
    I listened to it last week, didn't find it all that funny or interesting to be honest. The main guy is very annoying and arrogant, he reminded me of the twat that does the Scottish football phone in.

I'd probably rather listen to Fighting Talk and the Monday Night Club.

Simon
    I still haven't managed to find a link to download Monday Night Club on my phone. Fighting Talk is dependent on the guests, this week's just gone was good because Simon Day is the balls.

Downloaded Chappers' Premier League podcast too but haven't listened yet.

Andy
    Yeah Fighting Talk is very hit and miss but most of the regulars are good entertainment. I love Pat Nevin on it but he's rarely on anymore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I forgot again Simon, I WILL do it tomorrow.

Simon
    Bitch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5BD1DE3X

Some of them might not be labeled right, but basically, the last 6 digits are the date and the first two digits in the name are the episode number.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks turdpower
    No problem mate.

Simon
    I haven't been able to download them yet, and won't be thanking you until I have verified them as legitimate Football Rambles and not edited versions you have made to push your own football-related agendas.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have done that.

Simon
    "Hi, this is John Motson, and *Simon is a fucking cunt*"

Simon
    Greatest Ramble moment, turdpower? Got to be Kevin from Fife IMO.

Andy
    omg I used to live in Fife. I bet he was a twat

Simon
    I'm listening to it right now, I will transcribe although I almost certainly won't put across just how funny it is...

"I have an e-mail here, gentlemen, from a young chap from Scotland. Dear Ramble, last year my class could not behave so it meant we never got practical lessons on the Friday. Me and the boys were raging apart from some of the fatter lads. Our teacher who is a good guy at times said if we behaved we could listen to some football stuff. We never knew what the moron meant so we basically carried on with the nonsense and fun. Our teacher put the Ramble on and there was utter silence, we all loved it. Apart from when you talk about old footballers that's dull. Good point well made. We behaved better and stuff to get our practical sessions back but we never wanted them so we asked if we could get more theory which we did. Towards the end of last season our assistant head, in brackets "wank", came in and was saying well done and good job. He noticed the pod on in the background and one of you swore. Our teacher got in trouble and we don't get the Ramble any more. I do because I've got a computer but most people don't have a comp in the house, I reckon some of these animals don't have toilets but I won't hold it against them. Me and the boys are creating havoc now in PE, we always shout rambleforce HOOOOOOO in the corridors and our assistant head can just piss off. And that's from Kevin in Fife. He ends it by saying "we will not give up the fight"."
    It doesn't look so great written down but the hysterics in the studio and the stream of consciousness shit from this schoolkid makes it class.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random brilliant bits: When they can't find their theme music so the three of them sing it instead.

Lukey talking about when one of his mates said he had nowhere to go for Christmas and Luke offered to have him come round his house but got turned down.

I really like the email where the guy talks about taking his shirt off in the middle of a game to see if he'd get a yellow card.

Marcus and Jim talking about when they went to last seasons Champions League final.

There's probably tonnes more.

Simon
    There seem to be unintended recurring jokes as well, for example whenever they have come back from a game they always describe how they ended up having to run to/from the game because they are late for something.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some other things I liked:

"Rio" appearing generally, but what he wants for christmas: "A dream recorder... I've got a typewriter at home that I've blue taced some headphones onto, because Ryan Giggs was telling me that would work, but Ryan Giggs is a liar, yeah?"

Luke saying that someone in his office just randomly announced to everyone that she'd never slept in a sleeping bag

Simon
    I am now officially willing to thank you turdpower. It's not quite as good without Pete and the Rio stuff is a bit annoying IMO, but they're still a good addition to the ol' catalogue. I've missed big Pete though and am looking forward to today's episode.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, some of the "sketches" are shit.

Simon
    Great moment in the Christmas special: "Ballack, that was a SUICIDE pass!"

Simon
    ITV have started their own podcast, direct download here...hopefully it'll be a good addition to the current triumvurate of the Ramble, Football Weekly and The Game.

Simon
    Don't download the ITV podcast unless you have a passion for hearing about how great ITV is. It's a thirty minute advert for the station pretty much. Ned Boulting seems like a cock, although Peter Drury seems alright.

Simon
    Turdyplops did you ever find the rest of the Rambles that I don't have by any chance? I seem to be missing every episode prior to March 2007 and everything from April-December 2007.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nar, the website that I got all the others off seemingly made a mistake and had one episode listed as about 10 of them.

They're working on putting them all up on their website, right?

The very first one is pretty shit. Sounds like it's been done in a school hall or something.

Simon
    Yeah I noticed that you had loads that were all the same. They have put a few up on the website but it only goes back to April '09 right now.

New one is pretty good.

Simon
    A couple of great moments this week..."Referee! Yet another blunder!" and "He's dead!" made me laugh out loud

Simon
    A couple of great moments this week..."Referee! Yet another blunder!" and "He's dead!" made me laugh out loud

Simon
    turdpower - I have opened up negotiations with Lukey for the Rambleforce to host my team's awards dinner

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "turdy i sent an e-mail. already got the autoreply "

Simon
    FootballRamble

@sobisamazing Where is it? I am sure we'd all be happy to do it.
    BANG BANG

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is cool.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like he's a fan of Seanny One Ball anyway.

Simon
    I know you're all bored of me bigging up the Ramble but the hall of fame this week was absolutely fantastic, fifteen minutes or so of background and insight into Pierluigi Collina. Genuinely fascinating stuff, the depth of his pre-match preparations with his linesmen is incredible. As they said on the podcast, it's probably more preparation for the various possibilities of the outcomes of games than some managers bother with. A true legend of the game IMO.

Alf
    Is it the 'a noteable egg' one?

Simon
    Yeah that's the one.