Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Nintendo Switch

Last edited by Hero!; July 15th, 2020 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you seeing that it also hooks up to the TV? That's the part I'm confused by... does it also function like a console, and if so, how? I'm not really a portable gamer (the last portable system I owned was Gameboy Advance) so I'm more interested in the home console aspect and the rumors that it would be as powerful as PS4. I love Nintendo's ingenuity but they can outsmart themselves at times. And Nintendo already owns the portable market with 3DS anyway. I'd prefer a regular console that can have all their amazing exclusives AND the big cross platform games. Wii U should have been that, and I still love my Wii U, but their abandonment of cross platforms was a huge bummer. Obviously we won't know the full scoop on NX until they unveil it but this news is pretty underwhelming. But I will be eagerly awaiting the September reveal.

Side note, Mario Kart 8 is still the tits.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Good spot, i copied and pasted wrong. Fixed it now.

Here's the bit about connecting to the TV?:
    A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, so there will be a docking station for tv use. So this is the true console/handheld combo that's been rumored about. Being able to play your console-quality games on the go would be sweet but I wish they would have arrived at this function for the Wii U since they were knocking on the door with the gamepad controller. That was like a half step to this.

This is a fine idea but ultimately the catalogue of games will determine how popular this gets. If they put out the same grouping of games Wii U did I can't see Nintendo getting back to competing with PS4 and X-bone

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really wish Nintendo would quit fuckin around and give us a regular console with decent controllers. I don't want to exercise or any other stupid shit. I just want to get high and chill and play some Mario or whatever.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't we all.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the Wii U controllers. The Gamepad was dope, the Wii U Classic Controller was basically the same as an Xbox 360 controller, plus it allowed you to use your Wii-motes from the previous generation. Loads of controller options.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this winds up being true it basically means Nintendo is finally giving up on the home console market and retreating to the portable market that they still dominate. This makes me sad.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How is this giving up on the home console market? This is both a handheld and a home console.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the specs and all that will tell a lot of the story but Nintendo has already confirmed the new Zelda will be on NX and that it'll look better than on Wii U, and that game is going to be huge. So based on that, this system should be able to support big console games not just handheld-quality games.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    How is this giving up on the home console market? This is both a handheld and a home console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Yea the specs and all that will tell a lot of the story but Nintendo has already confirmed the new Zelda will be on NX and that it'll look better than on Wii U, and that game is going to be huge. So based on that, this system should be able to support big console games not just handheld-quality games.
    First off, I think this might be bunk. So this whole conversation may be entirely pointless. And yeah we'd need to see some actual specs before we can make a real assumption. But as for my concerns were it to be the real deal.

There isn't much of a home console element to this outside of it being a way suped up 3DS that can plug into your tv. For Next Gen that doesnt cut it. It wont have the processing power of its competitors. The sources Eurogamer pointed to have this as a handheld first and foremost with it running on a mobile chipset. As friend-of-the-site NWR Syrenne pointed out in her twitter thread (which I dont follow but some guys I know at the site do) "you're either looking at a Vita-like 540p resolution on the handheld with an HD upscaler inside the dock or the handheld runs everything and can natively output 720p or 1080p and now you're looking at Pokemon Go levels of battery drain." And Zelda would probably run better on a system that was just as powerful as the WiiU but running at lower resolutions.

Either way its going to be a major compromise. This system will have to gimp its specs in order to remain handheld which will once again piss the developers off and short dick the software library. Further harming its home console market but "Hey thats ok because this system is also our new handheld, the market that we own the shit out of". Which feels like sliding out the back door of the home console market and retreating to the saftey of the handheld gaming world. A world I generally just dont give a fuck about.

The system can't be that powerful or flimsy because it will be a handheld. But then again the dock could be some kind of amazing upgrading hardware dock. But I doubt it. That would really start turning the system into two systems and Nintendo wouldnt want to sell one system that can only play certain games at home when the concept is that the system is both. Nintendo doesnt half ass concepts like that. They go all in or they dont go at all. Everything will be paired down to the basic power of the handheld device only with better resolution.

But hey. What the fuck do I know? I am by no means a hardware guy and technology advances blow me away all the time. But Ive been following Nintendo as a fan and for a time as a writer for a long while. I know what to be scared of when it comes to them. But I'm going to hold out hope that either this concept is bogus and isnt the NX or that I'm simply totally underestimating the "dock" part of the equation and Nintendo may be about to change gaming all over again.

They can do it. They've done it before. I'm just expressing my concerns.
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; July 27th, 2016 at 4:40 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    when can i get this?

i want it right fucking now.

give me it now.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    First off, I think this might be bunk. So this whole conversation may be entirely pointless. And yeah we'd need to see some actual specs before we can make a real assumption. But as for my concerns were it to be the real deal.

There isn't much of a home console element to this outside of it being a way suped up 3DS that can plug into your tv. For Next Gen that doesnt cut it. It wont have the processing power of its competitors. The sources Eurogamer pointed to have this as a handheld first and foremost with it running on a mobile chipset. As friend-of-the-site NWR Syrenne pointed out in her twitter thread (which I dont follow but some guys I know at the site do) "you're either looking at a Vita-like 540p resolution on the handheld with an HD upscaler inside the dock or the handheld runs everything and can natively output 720p or 1080p and now you're looking at Pokemon Go levels of battery drain." And Zelda would probably run better on a system that was just as powerful as the WiiU but running at lower resolutions.

Either way its going to be a major compromise. This system will have to gimp its specs in order to remain handheld which will once again piss the developers off and short dick the software library. Further harming its home console market but "Hey thats ok because this system is also our new handheld, the market that we own the shit out of". Which feels like sliding out the back door of the home console market and retreating to the saftey of the handheld gaming world. A world I generally just dont give a fuck about.

The system can't be that powerful or flimsy because it will be a handheld. But then again the dock could be some kind of amazing upgrading hardware dock. But I doubt it. That would really start turning the system into two systems and Nintendo wouldnt want to sell one system that can only play certain games at home when the concept is that the system is both. Nintendo doesnt half ass concepts like that. They go all in or they dont go at all. Everything will be paired down to the basic power of the handheld device only with better resolution.

But hey. What the fuck do I know? I am by no means a hardware guy and technology advances blow me away all the time. But Ive been following Nintendo as a fan and for a time as a writer for a long while. I know what to be scared of when it comes to them. But I'm going to hold out hope that either this concept is bogus and isnt the NX or that I'm simply totally underestimating the "dock" part of the equation and Nintendo may be about to change gaming all over again.

They can do it. They've done it before. I'm just expressing my concerns.
    youre complaining about what is essentially a concept at this point. Nintendo systems are always underpowered compared to their peers, yet they always sell well. Nintendo dominates the handheld market, even with the rise of mobile gaming. Nintendo has great IPs and combines them with an affordable means to play (console or handheld) and it works brilliantly for them.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    youre complaining about what is essentially a concept at this point. Nintendo systems are always underpowered compared to their peers, yet they always sell well. Nintendo dominates the handheld market, even with the rise of mobile gaming. Nintendo has great IPs and combines them with an affordable means to play (console or handheld) and it works brilliantly for them.
    Incorrect. The Wii was the first. The Nintendo and Super Nintendo were simply superior to their competition. We can argue specs if you like on the PS1 vs N64 since that really deals with more with the memory on a CD than a cartridge, sheer power wise it wasn't a competition. The Gamecube was stronger than the PS2 and I believe either on par or a tad stronger than the Xbox.

We're not gonna go into the handhelds since Nintendo doesn't honestly have competition there and if we did the Game Gear was stronger than the original Gameboy.

But if 2/7 means always I can't complain. I'm not always precise with my language either.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    N64 was good, but not as capable of storing data as PlayStation/Xbox with their disks, which caused the certain game makers to shift their games to the Xbox/ps (Final fantasy, metal gear). Then with the GameCube, it suffered from being solely a gaming console. PS2 and Xbox were both DVD players and their online play (coupled with high speed internet a growing availability) made them the preferred systems. Then PS3 had the Blu Ray player, which helped it move a lot of units. With the Wii, Nintendo ended up doing so well with an under power system through its combination of innovative gameplay (the motion gimmick), strong IPs (smash, metroid, Mario, Zelda), -and affordability. The NX looks to be another system with innovative play features, the same characters people love Nintendo for, and it will likely cost less than a PS4/Xbox...maybe. XbOnes seem to be dropping quickly in price with their awful sales numbers.

and game gear was cool, but that battery life...yuck. Nintendo was weaker, but they knew what the people wanted was play time versus fancy graphics when the battery life technology just wasn't there yet.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    As someone who follows tech advancements with PCs, mobiles, etc, I can tell you now that all of this is entirely possible, and maybe affordable too. It's just never been attempted before. At least not put together in this way.

One of the new advancements with laptops is external GPUs, which I'll try to explain here in layman's terms (At least with my general understanding. Feel free to correct me).
    If you didn't already know (and I don't mean to patronise), the main reason why you can't play graphic intensive games on laptops is due to the lack of power in the "graphics processing unit" or GPU. PCs have graphics cards you can plug into the motherboard, with huge cooling fans and power supplies to maintain its performance. When it comes to handhelds (and cell phones), the CPU is never an issue. We have cell phones today that have 8 core CPUs and 6 gigs of RAM. What's letting it down is the lack of a powerful graphics processor. And usually when games are made, their performance is influenced roughly 70% by the graphics card (GPU), and about 30% by the CPU. So in theory, it's probably possible to recreate most console games on handhelds, providing they look like dog shit visually.

Now here's where it gets cool. Most external accessories today use USB 2.0. I imagine most people will be familiar with the newer USB 3.0 which comes with the blue connector. And some people (especially Mac users) will be familiar with Thunderbolt connectors. These are all industry standard connectors for external devices, that have been gradually improving and upgrading over the last 10 years, where today we have Thunderbolt 3.
    Thunderbolt 3, as you'll probably guess, is ridiculously fast and has much higher bandwidth compared to the USB a lot of us still use for most of our devices. Inside our PCs and laptops, components like your graphics card, RAM, etc are plugged directly into your motherboard (as in they don't use cables, they just directly slot into the motherboard somewhere) so that there's very low latency when it communicates with the CPU. Thunderbolt 3 is actually faster than this. Meaning a Thunderbolt 3 hard drive with a cable running to your laptop would run faster than the hard drive that's actually inside that laptop.
    What some companies like Razer have done is create an enclosure that holds a desktop graphics card inside, and then plugs into laptops via Thunderbolt 3, basically giving desktop gaming performance on laptops.

So going back to the Nintendo NX, it's actually possible to have a handheld that plays "console standard" games with a lower resolution, but then also have some sort of dock at home that houses a much more powerful graphics card that improves the visuals for when you want to play on your TV. The idea is perfectly in line with what's happening today with laptop gaming advancements, and as we all know with PC games, you can change graphics settings at will, to best suit your PC hardware. So it's not that hard to imagine playing a game on your handheld with these lower settings, that would then be ramped up the moment you sit that handheld on its dock.
    Last edited by RuneEdge; July 27th, 2016 at 7:25 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That would be tits if correct.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Rune you're brilliant. What a ruddy, bloody great post, thanks for that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah the tits

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    RuneEdge2k2

The Rosk
    Paint me like one of your French girls, Rune.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Rune is in a basement somewhere fellating himself with a SNES controller reading all of the reps for that post

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME!!!!!!!
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    Rune is in a basement somewhere fellating himself with a SNES controller reading all of the reps for that post
    It was a good post to be fair.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make love to me Runedy!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show me where your USB port is.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From now on you're going to be known as the guy who made that great post in the video games forum. Not the guy who doesn't understand how the lottery works.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    oh God I forgot about that. Christ. Oh fucking hell Rune you're a moron. Jesus.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a thread where we were supposed to ask stupid questions.

Only thing wrong with that thread was how there's less amnesty now. Feel kinda betrayed.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there no amnesty in this world

The Rosk
    Oh tuck was that him? Stop fucking painting me Rune you stupid thick pervert.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine if she had given the goal

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well. Being cool on here was fun while it lasted.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which means we have failed him. There shouldn't be room for him to get past the rest of us.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I came across a while ago, which might be worth showing here.

Here's a video of The Witcher 3 running on a very low spec PC (we're talking ultra low), using tools, mods, etc, to lower the visual details and textures. As you can see, the visuals are very poor but the gameplay is still intact. Bare in mind this is a current gen console game and one of the top mainstream titles out at the moment. The difference between this and the game we see on the PS4 and XBONE is basically down to the graphics processor. It's kinda crazy to think that this PC, which is far inferior to the specs we see in today's cell phones (by quite a bit), actually has a game like The Witcher 3 running on it.
    Now if you had this game running on a little laptop, you could in theory take it back home, hook it up to one of those external GPU docks I mentioned earlier, and play that same game as if it was visually a next gen title.

Here's an image of what Razer have in mind with their dock.

The idea is to have a portable laptop that has decent gaming capabilities, but you can then hook it up to that big block to the right, which houses the graphics card, a built in USB hub so you can attach extra gaming controllers, an ethernet port for online, and a cable that then runs to the monitor in the background that you do your high end gaming on.
    Swap the laptop for a Nintendo made handheld, and we might be looking at what the NX will turn out to be.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    That portable GPU is fucking enormous

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's big to allow you to swap in large graphics cards. The idea is for you to be able to take it apart with ease and just swap out the graphics card.

It's just for the sake of accommodating the different sizes you get with consumer GPUs.

It doesn't have to be big if the dock came with its own built in GPU that wasn't removable. The GPU itself physically is quite small and very thin. The bulk of it is just heat sinks and cooling fans. You take all that away and it looks like this.

So that, with a heat sink, some fans, and you're looking at a casing that's probably even smaller than the size of the Wii U.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How much do these GPU companies pay you to convince me that I actually, in fact, need a GPU thing? Because it does look like a nice gadgey.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not cheap, and your laptop needs to have a Thunderbolt 3 port. The dock thing is about $499 and that's without a graphics card inside. Razer are the first to release such a device so huge price drops are expected once other people start making their own. At the end of the day, this is basically like paying for an external hard drive enclosure without a hard drive inside. You'd expect the thing to be cheap since the real hardware thats doing all the work is the hard drive, not the casing.
    You'd be paying an early adopters premium right now.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nintendo doing their first reveal of the console later today.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nintendo Switch

Last edited by Fro; October 20th, 2016 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's exactly what people expected. I love how the single controller could turn into two wiimote style controllers for instant multiplayer on the go.
    The whole concept looks really fun. I'm just hoping the game devs get on board with this. If this had cellular capabilities for online play on the go, this could be amazing.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    OH MY FUCKING GOD GIVE ME IT NOW!

when can i actually get this?
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    The changing between playing at home and on the go looks cool. But surely there is no way you can be playing a next gen game on a handheld console and not eat though the battery power. Interested to see what the battery life will be like, or what it sacrifices when playing it on the move to save energy.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some initial thoughts having just watched the trailer:

-System looks cool overall, it's exactly what was rumored, and it's a cool concept. Being able to play games at home and on the go (with home console level graphics) is a nice feature. I wish they would have done it last generation with the Wii U gamepad since they were knocking on the door (I probably said that already in this thread). Cartridges confirmed.
    -That looks like a new Mario game and I'm hyped because it seems from the brief footage to possibly be Mario 64 style where you don't have to move linearly like you did in Super Mario World 3D. I would love this. I badly want a new M64 open world style Mario game. It was only a few seconds of footage though so I could be wrong (it might have been footage from SMW3D).
    -Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon will be ported to the new system. Both great games. MK8 was the best Wii U game for me and best MK game ever made IMO. These ports don't do anything for me personally since I have my Wii U but for the 96% of gamers who didn't own a Wii U, these ports are a plus.
    -Obviously the system will only be as good as the game lineup and that remains the biggest concern for a Nintendo console. This could be a great system but please please give me the cross-console games (like sports games etc). Showing what I believe was NBA2k was a great sign.

Battery life and online capabilities on-the-go are good questions like you guys said.
    Last edited by Fro; October 20th, 2016 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    New;

Zelda,
    Mario,
    Mario Kart...

This is a serious no brainer.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Mario Kart, it looks like you can hold 2 items which you couldn't do in MK8. So while it looks like a port in that the tracks are the same, it will likely have new features/enhancements. Fingers crossed they re-vamp the battle mode which was lame in MK8.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you think about how good some cell phone games look today, and the battery life those have, I think we could expect something decent here.
    If they implement some kind of hotswapable battery pack, they'll make a ton of money on battery packs alone.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, i'm all about this. Gaming on the go is more my thing than a console anyway and this looks like the perfect split for me.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great console name btw

Alf
    Was that Skyrim?!

Sold.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3rd party support/partners list is maybe the most exciting thing. EA and Take-Two (which owns 2K Games) being on the list, plus Skyrim/Bethesda, is very encouraging. Obviously a lot TBD in terms of game lineups but at least early on it seems like some of these developers are coming back on board after they jumped ship on Wii U.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably that would suggest the graphical capabilities and processing specs are comparable to current gen. Can't have the developers working too hard.

Genius how the handheld controller snaps apart to make two mini ones. Doubt I'd be taking it to many parties though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, dev support will be the key. But what Nintendo need is for them is to get proper multi format titles on the console. Usually with certain games like say COD or Batman, we get the "proper" releases on the PlayStation and Xbox consoles, and then you get a separate Nintendo version that's either scaled down or has its own unique features to justify the use of Nintendo's hardware.
    If Nintendo could provide the hardware to play the kind of games the PS4 and XboxOne can put out, I'm confident that they could steal some of their sales.

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    As always, dev support will be the key. But what Nintendo need is for them is to get proper multi format titles on the console. Usually with certain games like say COD or Batman, we get the "proper" releases on the PlayStation and Xbox consoles, and then you get a separate Nintendo version that's either scaled down or has its own unique features to justify the use of Nintendo's hardware.
    If Nintendo could provide the hardware to play the kind of games the PS4 and XboxOne can put out, I'm confident that they could steal some of their sales.
    ^--- This. If it can run the same 3rd party games as the Playstation and Xbox, while also being able to get those sweet sweet Nintendo exclusives, I'm sold on my next console.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to be getting a PS4 in the next few weeks. Might hold off on that now, this looks flipping brilliant.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the fact that it's only 5 months away is nice... I don't remember off hand what the lead time was for other current gen consoles but I feel like 5 months from announcement to launch is short

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    ^--- This. If it can run the same 3rd party games as the Playstation and Xbox, while also being able to get those sweet sweet Nintendo exclusives, I'm sold on my next console.
    Imagine a console that plays all the major third party releases like GTA, COD, FIFA, Elder Scrolls, Destiny, Dark Souls, Fallout, Batman, The Witcher, etc, and then also plays all the Nintendo exclusive franchises like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon. Then imagine the Virtual Console library on top of everything.

I'd gladly pay £500 for the console. Nintendo could kill the competition if it opened itself to the 3rd party market instead of trying to do its own thing.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Imagine a console that plays all the major third party releases like GTA, COD, FIFA, Elder Scrolls, Destiny, Dark Souls, Fallout, Batman, The Witcher, etc, and then also plays all the Nintendo exclusive franchises like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon. Then imagine the Virtual Console library on top of everything.

I'd gladly pay £500 for the console. Nintendo could kill the competition if it opened itself to the 3rd party market instead of trying to do its own thing.
    I feel like that's kind of a dream scenario for Nintendo fans that just won't ever totally happen. However if they can just get some support in a real way from third party developers then this system can take over the world. Seeing it in action wins me over. The concept seems to be executed quite brilliantly.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first video has a Mario Run demo then the Switch/Zelda demo complete with Jimmy Fallon's unbridled enthusiasm. second video is just plain fun.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Jimmy Fallon is insufferable in that first video.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    just in that first video, or all the time in every single thing that he's on? Because that.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Jimmy Fallon is insufferable in that first video.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's super talented, one of the all time great SNL cast members and his show is great, don't @ me

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    just in that first video, or all the time in every single thing that he's on? Because that.
    He actually doesn't bother me most of the time. But that clip there is just so over the top. There is no need for a grown adult to be acting like that unless they have Aspergers.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conan forever. Fallon never.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nintendo's big Switch reveal is tomorrow night at 11PM Eastern. We should find out launch titles, price, specs, etc. Likely a $250 console price.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    $250 would be an awesome price.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Live presentation

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This presentation is awesomely cheesy. I love it. I gotta go to bed but can't wait to watch the rest tomorrow.

$300 for the console though so a little more than the $250 we hoped for. Still reasonable. The features of the console/controllers seem great from what I saw so far. If this thing has good games, looks like a winner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They're fucked. Ain't nobody gonna pay $300 for a console with just a Zelda game at launch.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    But just Zelda will be available at launch, right?

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Yup, as well as 1-2-Switch and a couple of other games. MK8D looks like April and the rest are "2017" at various points.

I pre-ordered the console and Zelda but I expect to cancel them as that's currently £340 and that's a bit much.

The accessory pricing for the UK is a fucking joke. £75 for another set of controllers. £75.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    I think I'm getting this. I'm all over the UK right now and nights in hotels bore me to absolute tears, this would be amazing. In fact it would be brilliant for on trains and in airports as well.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it's only got a small battery life though. Reported at 2.5 to 6.5 hours.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    All the games look dead cartoony. Not that there's anything wrong with that but makes me think the performance power can't be that great. Show me something with shit hot graphics being played at a high frame rate on the Switch as a handheld device and I'll start to get interested.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still need to watch the rest of the presentation but... Mario Odyssey is exactly what I wanted from the next Mario game. Open world. And putting it in the "real world" instead of Magic Kingdom should be a nice change of scenery. For that I will almost definitely be buying a Switch. But good chance I wait until Holidays 2017 rather than buy it at launch.

I'm sure I've said this before but Mario Kart 8 is the best game in that series and for anyone who didn't have a Wii U, MK8 Deluxe is an absolute must buy. I may have to buy it myself even though I still play MK8 here and there and the online mode has held up wonderfully. I'm seeing it has a release date of April 28th? Very nice.

Splatoon 2 being a sequel not a port is good to hear. I never really embraced Splatoon and only got about 15-20 hours out of it. I should try to get back into it - I know a lot of people still adore it.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I preordered it.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that presentation was hard to watch. so much filler and awkwardness. having random third party reps there to go 'yeah this looks cool, we're totally gonna make a game for it' was just an odd choice and provided no excitement. the insane overuse of 'switch' puns. the console only launching with one major game, even if it is zelda. the over-explaining of the joy con controllers and how you can play with them. could've been so much tighter.

zelda does look phenomenal, and mario odyssey as well. shame they couldnt have mario ready for launch. a launch of mario and zelda wouldve been perfect.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    The thing that killed me for the Wii U was the lack of games on it. I played it more than any other console, but that is because my love of Super Mario Maker has not been extinguished yet. I will wait until I see that it will have a decent library and hopefully some good third party stuff. The new Mario game looks fucking awesome though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Wii U and one of those "New" 3DS handhelds. And seeing how soon both of them were abandoned is kinda worrying. I want to buy the Switch, and I had money put aside for it a while back, but this to me for some reason looks and feels like something Nintendo will quickly forget about within the next 3-4 years.

Mario and Zelda are the only two reasons to get this at the moment, and right now that's not enough for me. I already have Mario Kart and Smash Bros on the Wii U, so there's no need for those from me.
    A new Metroid could probably sell it for me though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that this looks like something that will be forgotten. The premise of the Wii U was always fairly meh, and the gamepad was never utilized well. This console on the other hand, it looks like a winner. Granted the the game lineup is weak so that could still cause it to be a failure. But from the pure concept of what the console is, this could theoretically replace both the Wii U and 3DS and become a mainstay if it catches on.

But yea, more games please.

Also someone play me in Mario Kart 8

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually loved the Wii U with the exception of the shit range on the gamepad. It didn't have enough third party games, but the concept was solid. The Switch furthers that concept.

I haven't touched my Wii U in months, but after surgery it was my go to console. The gamepad made it easy to play on when I couldn't move around or when I go to bed before passing out. I have spent more time on it playing NES and SNES than actual Wii U games, though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being able to play off screen was a nice feature. and agreed on the range, it doesnt reach my bedroom from my living room which sucks. and I love the Wii U too, I got way more than my money's worth out of it, but in terms of actual game functionality the only games where the gamepad actually made a difference was Mario Maker and Pikmin 3, at least that I can think of. not like I played every game tho. for the most part, Wii U was just a good system because it was a nintendo system with nintendo games and that's my bread and butter video games-wise.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that this looks like something that will be forgotten. The premise of the Wii U was always fairly meh, and the gamepad was never utilized well. This console on the other hand, it looks like a winner. Granted the the game lineup is weak so that could still cause it to be a failure. But from the pure concept of what the console is, this could theoretically replace both the Wii U and 3DS and become a mainstay if it catches on.

But yea, more games please.

Also someone play me in Mario Kart 8
    the battery life will be a big problem when it comes to replacing the 3ds. my wife has played marathon sessions of monster hunter and gotten am eight hour charge off the battery. they say the upper limit here will be 6, and that's what, if you're playing splatoon or a virtual console game? two and a half hours for intensive things like zelda? it makes the 'on the go' aspect a little encumbered.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Fuck launch and think Christmas...
    Launch is for hardcores...

If things go well, they can sell to the diehards early, and then be sold out around the holidays...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; January 13th, 2017 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    the battery life will be a big problem when it comes to replacing the 3ds. my wife has played marathon sessions of monster hunter and gotten am eight hour charge off the battery. they say the upper limit here will be 6, and that's what, if you're playing splatoon or a virtual console game? two and a half hours for intensive things like zelda? it makes the 'on the go' aspect a little encumbered.
    tru nuff. 3DS is so successful that I'm sure Nintendo wants to keep it alive anyway.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Fuck launch and think Christmas...
    Launch is for hardcores...

If things go well, they can sell to the diehards early, and then be sold out around the holidays...
    Yep.

And Zelda being on Wii U will let me hold off until Mario and/or Metroid comes out. Zelda's the only title in the near future that interests me for it. And motherfucking Mass Effect is right after. Not the time to splurge on a new system.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    I actually loved the Wii U with the exception of the shit range on the gamepad. It didn't have enough third party games, but the concept was solid. The Switch furthers that concept.

I haven't touched my Wii U in months, but after surgery it was my go to console. The gamepad made it easy to play on when I couldn't move around or when I go to bed before passing out. I have spent more time on it playing NES and SNES than actual Wii U games, though.
    Agreed and agreed. The WiiU has become my daughters console as she is just getting into mario. If I were a lazy piece of shit then once in a while I would plop her down with Mario maker and she can play for an hour like no one else is there. Babysitter Mario suit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course I could be entirely wrong. I mean, who thought adding a second screen to the handheld would work out so well?

Now when I say that this new console could be forgotten or abandoned by Nintendo, I think back to the original Wii. The concept at the time was out of left field, but it caught on and people went nuts for it. The whole industry thought "motion controls" were the future, and both Sony and Microsoft pushed out the PS Move and Kinect stuff to try and keep up with it. But even though the Wii sales were through the roof, everyone moved on from the concept and Nintendo went back to the drawing board to come up with something new. So even though the Switch looks like a cool idea, I'm totally expecting Nintendo to come up with something new for the following console. For some reason, I can't picure them making a second Switch console. I've come to think of Nintendo as a company who'll always try something new every time, regardless of how well the last idea worked.

And why is this a problem? Come to think of it, I don't know. Maybe it's because I don't want to have to buy another console, but I know I will since its the only place I can play Nintendo's exclusives. And ideally they'd make that console that could entirely replace the PS and Xbox brands, but we know that won't happen.
    And now Nintendo have gone and adopted a paid online subscription model, to make matters worse for me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-swit...ay-gray-market
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/nin...s-of-the-pond/

Looks like the 2 million units scheduled for launch are sold out...
    They are reportedly not being sold at a loss...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; January 16th, 2017 at 6:30 AM.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    After being a Mega Drive/Saturn/Dreamcast - Ps1/2/3/4 man, I think I may finally pick up a Nintendo console (well my bro had a N64). Seems reasonably priced and will give me a alternative to the PS4 as I didn't much care for the Xbox One and flogged it.
    Obviously the 'franchise' games I have heard of are Mario Kart/Super Mario/Zelda and Metroid with the latter being the only game not scheduled for this as best I can tell?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Though I'm not sure why they are re-releasing a 3 year old Mario Kart title for this when I would think they would bring out a new one.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Though I'm not sure why they are re-releasing a 3 year old Mario Kart title for this when I would think they would bring out a new one.
    Quicker, easier and cheaper to release a port than is is to make a full game?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Wel yeah, I just figured new console new game to show off what I assume to be a significant hardware upgrade.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    http://www.polygon.com/nintendo-swit...ay-gray-market
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/nin...s-of-the-pond/

Looks like the 2 million units scheduled for launch are sold out...
    They are reportedly not being sold at a loss...
    Would make sense. Nintendo hates taking losses on hardware.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Switch OS Walkthrough (LEAK):

https://vid.me/oQkO

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the look of the menus. Looks very clean and simple. Kinda like the Wii menus but more "mature". Having said that, it does make the whole thing look like an Android tablet.
    Which got me thinking earlier. Is this really a console? or a handheld marketed as a console? As more info on the Switch has started to leak out, I'm starting to wonder how I'd be using this device if I purchased it. Initially it was speculated that we'll have a tablet-like handheld that did most of the work internally, and then you would place it on a dock that would contain additional components to boost the graphical power of the handheld to turn it into something that resembles a home console. I think I read in a few places that Nintendo have said the dock itself will cost around $90 on its own. But it's now been revealed that the dock is nothing more than a charger and TV-out cable. It does no work of its own. If anyone here is familiar with those HDMI cables you can buy for your iPhone/iPad, it's literally like one of those, packaged as a dock. Digging a little deeper, I found someone who learnt that the Switch in its handheld form actually underclocks it's processor to improve battery consumption when you're on the go. So in other words, instead of the Switch receiving a boost when you play at home, its actually a case of where at home you're seeing its standard performance and then when you're on the go, it's intentionally scaling it back to allow it to last longer. Sitting on its dock, the Switch receives enough power from the mains to let it run how its supposed to.
    So it seems to me that what we really have is a very powerful handheld. The kind that would blow any other handheld out of the water. But is it a console? Well lets say Sony released a dock for the PS Vita that let you hook it up to a TV and then let you plug PS4 controllers to that dock to play those games, and then Sony packaged all of that together in a big retail box. Would you call that a console? or a handheld with some cool accessories?