Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Knees on the ground should always be legal.

#PrideNeverDie

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit, having seen the highlight, it's not the kind of knee DJ was using as an example when he asked for them to be allowed. He was talking about them for opponents that are playing the 'downed fighter' game like Sterling was. He got knocked down with a punch and then smashed by a knee as he was trying to get back up. Brutal. But a knee is a knee.

The bigger issue there seemed to be how much bigger his opponent was than him.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'm honestly not sure exactly how ONE's weightclasses work but Sage Northcutt had the same issue against Cosmo Alezandre, definitely undersized and underpowered in that one. Eddie Alvarez looked tiny versus Timofey Nastyukhin as well.

*Alexandre
    Last edited by OD50; April 8th, 2021 at 9:29 AM.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't bitch about American fighters being undersized when they take every advantage on the planet to come in 2-3x bigger than their weight class. And MM has fought bigger dudes, he was doing well until he got clipped and then murked with the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandria Ocasio-Bertez View Post
    Because of me? Lol. I think it's crazy that knees to a grounded opponent are legal though. And he still got up quicker than Aljo did.
    Yan said the same thing, very tongue in cheek post he made lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a wtf moment of the day Rory MacDonald just dropped a split decision to Gleison Tibau of all fucking people. I didn't even know Tibau still fought.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was going to watch PFL and ended up watching stand up specials instead. I don't regret it. I'll probably watch Silva box.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not MMA but Chad Mendes has ended his retirement and has signed with Bare Knuckle FC.....

I might be in the minority here but I am not a fan of BKF. I can watch some of it, but I don't seek it out.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    One FC: Grand Finale is on and it's such a big card they want you to pay $40 to watch it live. I'm still not. PM me if you want a link.

Rodtang vs DJ is up next, I think.

Stamp Fairtex vs Angela Lee (who had a baby and was gone for 2 years) is the main event.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The legend Mighty Mouse. All time great. Him and Moraes rematch will be some watch, the first was a bit of an anomaly given Moraes isn't much of a devastating striker but landed that big knee in the transition. Shame the UFC didn't respect him enough to keep him around as he should be up there in terms of legends, but it is what it is. He did enough in his career to be considered a great so if people can't see that without the hype then that's up to them. Not like his fights weren't entertaining either, he was a good watch, dominant, and often got the finish unlike somebody like GSP. Benavidez, Horiguchi and Cejudo stoppage wins have aged excellently given Joe was pretty much unbeatable besides DJ in his prime at flyweight, Horiguchi has gone on to have a great career and Cejudo became a two weight world champion.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't watch much anymore, but caught wind of how good Brown/Barberena fight was so thought I'd give it a gander. Thought it possibly should have gone the other way, but Christ, what a fight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Don't watch much anymore, but caught wind of how good Brown/Barberena fight was so thought I'd give it a gander. Thought it possibly should have gone the other way, but Christ, what a fight.
    This is the non UFC thread.

This is the UFC thread:
    https://forums.rajah.com/showthread....40262&page=133

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    The legend Mighty Mouse. All time great. Him and Moraes rematch will be some watch, the first was a bit of an anomaly given Moraes isn't much of a devastating striker but landed that big knee in the transition. Shame the UFC didn't respect him enough to keep him around as he should be up there in terms of legends, but it is what it is. He did enough in his career to be considered a great so if people can't see that without the hype then that's up to them. Not like his fights weren't entertaining either, he was a good watch, dominant, and often got the finish unlike somebody like GSP. Benavidez, Horiguchi and Cejudo stoppage wins have aged excellently given Joe was pretty much unbeatable besides DJ in his prime at flyweight, Horiguchi has gone on to have a great career and Cejudo became a two weight world champion.
    Mighty Mouse is dope but you can't blame the UFC. Smaller fighters have rarely moved the needle. Marketing can only do so much. People respect Mighty Mouse but again, who's drawing at 125-145? You had 1 real draw in those weight classes since inception, McGregor. Numbers don't lie. You put any of those fighters on the main event of a ppv it's not going to draw as well as the heavier weight classes.

Mighty Mouse was smart going to One. They fight in front of audiences that appreciate smaller fighters. But it's not like OneFC is blowing up in the West so is that still the UFC's fault?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Classy. Fits well with the overall BKFC presentation I guess.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Classy. Fits well with the overall BKFC presentation I guess.
    I mean have you seen some of the shit the top fighters in the UFC have pulled in and out of the cage? I'd gladly take some flashing of the titties over some of the shit guys like Rampage or McGregor have pulled.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'm sure you would..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Fedor Emelianenko/Ryan Bader II is set for February 4 on CBS, it is supposed to be Fedor's retirement fight. I guess he really wants to get that 35-second loss back, can't really blame him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedor Emelianenko/Ryan Bader II is set for February 4 on CBS, it is supposed to be Fedor's retirement fight. I guess he really wants to get that 35-second loss back, can't really blame him.
    I have not paid much attention to Ryan Bader but it looks like he's still the man at HW. Would this be for the title? I don't see why not. Fedor is on a 2 fight winning streak spanning 3+ years but hey it's still a 2 winning streak lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedor challenging for the heavyweight title and Yoel Romero challenging for the 205lb title on the same card. Madness.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Two title challengers on the same card being a combined 91 years old has to be a first.

It's the first MMA event on CBS since Strikeforce Nashville in 2010, AKA "The Nashville Brawl".

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say this, Bellator had a pretty good show. The title fights were a little lackluster. But I'm a huge fan now of Daniel James.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So, Kayla Harrison lost in the finals of the PFL tournament via UD against a girl she had already beaten twice. I guess that throws the hypothetical Cyborg fight out the window for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Kayla Harrison lost in the finals of the PFL tournament via UD against a girl she had already beaten twice. I guess that throws the hypothetical Cyborg fight out the window for the foreseeable future.
    I'm just waiting on the announcement that her punk manager is finally leaving the business. He tweeted if Kayla ever lost, he would leave MMA.

Kayla....Was she any good to begin with? She's fighting at 155, the only other fighter I know who fights at that weight is Cindy Dandois. Could she even make 145? She looks HUGE. What kind of drug testing do they do in PFL?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I'm just waiting on the announcement that her punk manager is finally leaving the business. He tweeted if Kayla ever lost, he would leave MMA.

Kayla....Was she any good to begin with? She's fighting at 155, the only other fighter I know who fights at that weight is Cindy Dandois. Could she even make 145? She looks HUGE. What kind of drug testing do they do in PFL?
    Kayla has fought at 145 once in Invicta but never in the PFL. I doubt they do any serious drug testing.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kayla has fought at 145 once in Invicta but never in the PFL. I doubt they do any serious drug testing.
    I did see that after the fact she did fight at 145 before. I'm curious why PFL tried to make 155 women's a thing knowing the name value was non-existent, knowing the depth was worse than 145. They probably thought the million dollar prize would entice someone like Cyborg Santos who cuts 20lbs+ to make 145. Maybe they thought Gabi Garcia was going to cut some muscle out of her diet lol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I did see that after the fact she did fight at 145 before. I'm curious why PFL tried to make 155 women's a thing knowing the name value was non-existent, knowing the depth was worse than 145. They probably thought the million dollar prize would entice someone like Cyborg Santos who cuts 20lbs+ to make 145. Maybe they thought Gabi Garcia was going to cut some muscle out of her diet lol.
    155 was basically the Kayla division, just like 145 was the Cyborg division in the UFC. From what I've read the PFL may drop the the 155 tournament in favor of one at 145 next season.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's because Kayla didn't want to cut weight 4 times in 8 months or whatever the schedule is. Probability is she does a 'superfight' with either Cyborg or Pacheco 4 (or both given the timeline), then fights the winner of the 145lb tournament. Still options, but how much can you grow a star in the 3rd biggest company?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rd biggest? Naw I'd say 4th and by a country mile. UFC, Bellator, One, PFL.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun Bellator vs. RIZIN card on NYE. Some scope for some upsets I'd say given the location and it being in a ring - McKee vs. Their lightweight champion, Patricio Pitbull against their featherweight champion, Juan Archuleta vs. a guy that has one unavenged defeat in nearly 13 years. Horiguchi vs. Ougikubo 3 which could be interesting given Horiguchi's form after his injury. Can see at least one of the Bellator guys getting turned over.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Jake Paul has signed with the PFL to actually fight MMA, that's surprising and actually kind of balsy of him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake Paul has signed with the PFL to actually fight MMA, that's surprising and actually kind of balsy of him.
    Yeah but did you read the actual article about it? Seems very Jake Paulish.

I think the part where they talk about how the fighters get 50% of the ppv revenue and I'm like, what ppv revenue??? Who the fuck orders a PFL ppv?

It would be ballsy if he fought for the UFC but I get why he isn't. It would go against everything he's whined about it in the media. I still to this day have no idea how he's a draw in combat sports, if he even is. The ppv buyrates he's had are weak and of course he's getting paid, there's no one else to pay on the card but him and his opponent. I'm sure the UFC fighter pay would be much better if they only had to spread it around 3-4 fighters.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean if we're going to talk about DW in the other thread we gotta talk about Phil Baroni allegedly murdering his gf in Mexico.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I mean if we're going to talk about DW in the other thread we gotta talk about Phil Baroni allegedly murdering his gf in Mexico.
    Well, of course that's waaay worse in the grand scheme of things but Baroni hasn't been anywhere near relevant in MMA for 16 years and hasn't been considered a proper contender for the past 21 years or so while Dana is the #1 man in the sport by a long shot.

But yeah, an old washed fighter with probable CTE that's done tons of steroids and whatever else drugs assaulting and even killing someone doesn't shock me unfortunately. Even among active MMA fighters the chance of them being involved in domestic violence is twice as high as the average person. Many of the guys aren't exactly the most stable from the start, and then add to that tons of brain trauma over the years.

-> https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/2...iolence-in-mma

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah but did you read the actual article about it? Seems very Jake Paulish.

I think the part where they talk about how the fighters get 50% of the ppv revenue and I'm like, what ppv revenue??? Who the fuck orders a PFL ppv?

It would be ballsy if he fought for the UFC but I get why he isn't. It would go against everything he's whined about it in the media. I still to this day have no idea how he's a draw in combat sports, if he even is. The ppv buyrates he's had are weak and of course he's getting paid, there's no one else to pay on the card but him and his opponent. I'm sure the UFC fighter pay would be much better if they only had to spread it around 3-4 fighters.
    If they'd manage to put put together Jake Paul/Nate Diaz on a PPV quite a few people would buy it, no?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, of course that's waaay worse in the grand scheme of things but Baroni hasn't been anywhere near relevant in MMA for 16 years and hasn't been considered a proper contender for the past 21 years or so while Dana is the #1 man in the sport by a long shot.

But yeah, an old washed fighter with probable CTE that's done tons of steroids and whatever else drugs assaulting and even killing someone doesn't shock me unfortunately. Even among active MMA fighters the chance of them being involved in domestic violence is twice as high as the average person. Many of the guys aren't exactly the most stable from the start, and then add to that tons of brain trauma over the years.

-> https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/2...iolence-in-mma
    I'm not trying to compare them you misunderstood me. I was just saying we might as well get this one out there too because holy shit it's crazy.

Part of me wants to put some blame on CTE but then there's the part of me who's been watching Baroni fight since what, 2000-2001 probably in many organizations. He's crazy as fuck and I've never heard anyone say it was just a persona and he wasn't that guy. I did see a crazy interview of him recently looking about 70 years old with a beard talking about Cody Rhodes. Barnett just posted the other day about his recent encounters with Baroni not being the best and they could tell something was off.

I imagine the way he fights, the drugs/roids/peds whatever, plus his natural crazy ass personality is not a great combo. I guess we'll never know if this dude just snapped and blacked out or what.

If they'd manage to put put together Jake Paul/Nate Diaz on a PPV quite a few people would buy it, no?
    If they have to go through ESPN to do it Idk. The UFC are already jacking up their own ppv rates to almost $100 USD Dude it wasn't even 10 years ago I paid $50 to see UFC 200.

I'm not saying nobody would watch that fight I imagine a lot of people would in hopes to see Diaz smash Paul...but there's also fans like myself who just can't take dude serious and think it's all been a show. Even now I'm not sure how legit his fights will be because how legit is PFL? What are they willing to do to build their brand?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Chris Benoit's brain resembled that of an 85-year old Alzheimer's patient at age 40, mostly due to repeated concussions, I can't imagine MMA fighters now in their 40's and 50's being much better off, of course genetic predisposition, fighting style, damage taken etc will also play into it. Imagine all the damage they take in fights and the tons of damage they absorb during training.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Benoit's brain resembled that of an 85-year old Alzheimer's patient at age 40, mostly due to repeated concussions, I can't imagine MMA fighters now in their 40's and 50's being much better off, of course genetic predisposition, fighting style, damage taken etc will also play into it. Imagine all the damage they take in fights and the tons of damage they absorb during training.
    But Benoit wasn't a Phil Baroni though which is why Benoit's situation was such a shock. Even now knowing what his brain was like it's still very uncommon or we'd have a lot more than 1 murder suicide in the last 100 years of wrestling.

With that said I do believe Phil was probably mentally not all there and the fighting didn't help especially his style of fighting. My son and I were just watching him v. Shamrock and he was taking a ton of shots. That was just him though, and it didn't help for sure.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    But Benoit wasn't a Phil Baroni though which is why Benoit's situation was such a shock. Even now knowing what his brain was like it's still very uncommon or we'd have a lot more than 1 murder suicide in the last 100 years of wrestling.

With that said I do believe Phil was probably mentally not all there and the fighting didn't help especially his style of fighting. My son and I were just watching him v. Shamrock and he was taking a ton of shots. That was just him though, and it didn't help for sure.
    Well, like I mentioned above genetic predisposition/personality and also circumstances will play a part in it, I doubt Rich Franklin or Chris Weidman for example would beat their girlfriends to death even if they suffered from CTE, peeps like the NYBA, War Machine or Mike Perry on the other hand.. More will probably end up like Stephan Bonnar or Mayhem Miller in the coming 10-15 years.

I actually also watched Baroni/Shamrock a week or two strangely enough. Came across this weird Youtube channel that has tons of old Strikeforce and EliteXC events, got me all nostalgic watching some of them.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, like I mentioned above genetic predisposition/personality and also circumstances will play a part in it, I doubt Rich Franklin or Chris Weidman for example would beat their girlfriends to death even if they suffered from CTE, peeps like the NYBA, War Machine or Mike Perry on the other hand.. More will probably end up like Stephan Bonnar or Mayhem Miller in the coming 10-15 years.

I actually also watched Baroni/Shamrock a week or two strangely enough. Came across this weird Youtube channel that has tons of old Strikeforce and EliteXC events, got me all nostalgic watching some of them.
    Haha I bet it's the same exact channel my son and I have been watching the last couple weeks!! Dude has everything from the 90's and early 2000's. I just shot you a DM to confirm.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that my oldest son is a die hard MMA fan so he's all about these older shows because he's a huge fan of Nate Diaz, Clay Guida, and Diego Sanchez so he was very very young when I was watching some of these shows live. So being able to go back and see guys like Nate go from Strikeforce to UFC and those UFN shows, pretty awesome.

I'm assuming this guy pulls a lot of stuff from Fight Pass because some have the Spike TV or Showtime logos, or commercial cuts, and some don't. That's the only way I can explain how he was able to get the prelims from those UFN shows as they didn't use to air them in order. You'd be lucky to see prelims back then.

It made me realize how much I miss Strikeforce. They were my favorite, including the Challengers shows.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Pretty awesome to have a kid you can show all these old great fights and shows. Soo much stuff to watch. Try to show him some of Eddie Alvarez fights vs Chandler, Kawajiri and Hansen. Some great fights there. Also the PRIDE LW/Bushido and LHW GP's from 2003-2005 were exceptional.

Yeah, I really liked Strikeforce, it was sort of a mix of traditional US style MMA mixed with a bit of Japanese spectacle. Pretty crazy that many considered it a "B" league back in the day when they had Ronda Rousey, Cyborg, Overeem, Fedor, DC, Rockhold, Jacare, Mousasi, T-Wood, Tim Kennedy, Josh Barnett, Miesha Tate, Dan Henderson, Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Cung Le, Josh Thompson, Gilbert Melendez, Sergei Kharitonov, Andrei Arlovski, etc, etc.. They were still quite a bit behind the UFC of course but any organization today could only dream of having a roster as stacked as Strikeforce.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty awesome to have a kid you can show all these old great fights and shows. Soo much stuff to watch. Try to show him some of Eddie Alvarez fights vs Chandler, Kawajiri and Hansen. Some great fights there. Also the PRIDE LW/Bushido and LHW GP's from 2003-2005 were exceptional.

Yeah, I really liked Strikeforce, it was sort of a mix of traditional US style MMA mixed with a bit of Japanese spectacle. Pretty crazy that many considered it a "B" league back in the day when they had Ronda Rousey, Cyborg, Overeem, Fedor, DC, Rockhold, Jacare, Mousasi, T-Wood, Tim Kennedy, Josh Barnett, Miesha Tate, Dan Henderson, Jake Shields, Nick Diaz, Cung Le, Josh Thompson, Gilbert Melendez, Sergei Kharitonov, Andrei Arlovski, etc, etc.. They were still quite a bit behind the UFC of course but any organization today could only dream of having a roster as stacked as Strikeforce.
    He's 21 now and he's been a fan of MMA since he was probably 5-6 but it wasn't until maybe 3-4 years ago when he started training and working out that he started to really deep dive into it. I have so many DVDs and tapes from the last 20+ years and then you have the internet, Fight Pass, etc. I told him he has it made compared to when I was 21 lol. I've told him he should sign up to Rajah. The nice thing about him is that he's very knowledgeable about the newer fighters so he educates me on a bunch of these cats I don't really know. The last couple years I've had a hard time keeping up with UFC but he's on top of it. he's like a mini you meets Fanny Batter lol.

I bought those Pride sets from Wal Mart/Best Buy years ago I think it's 1-28 plus I have I think the first 10 Bushidos, I try to get as much physical media for Pride as I can. He's also been dabbling into DREAM which I never did. The one promotion he hasn't seen that much of is BODOG which was one of my personal favorites. Even the guy on YT doesn't have many fights from them. I have 3-4 tapes worth because it was the first place I remember seeing WMMA being showcased.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Awesome.

I honestly can't remember too much about BODOG except chasing down fights from guys like Eddie Alvarez and Jorge Masvidal they had there. DREAM was really fucking cool for the first couple of years, their LW division was great. He should watch some of DREAM's Yarenokka! NYE shows and the DREAM vs. Sengoku event. Nostalgia..

There just was a Bellator vs. RIZIN event on NYE in the Saitama Super Arena which in theory should be great and bring back some of the old PRIDE/DREAM vibes, sadly RIZIN doesn't have that great of a roster and Bellator went 5-0. I saw all main card fights went the distance and I barely knew who any of the RIZIN guys are, so I skipped watching it.
    Last edited by OD50; January 6th, 2023 at 1:58 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome.

I honestly can't remember too much about BODOG except chasing down fights from guys like Eddie Alvarez and Jorge Masvidal they had there. DREAM was really fucking cool for the first couple of years, their LW division was great. He should watch some of DREAM's Yarenokka! NYE shows and the DREAM vs. Sengoku event. Nostalgia..
    haha that's funny you brought up Sengoku because he was actually talking to me about it the other day and I was like man that is one of those promotions I never was able to find so I only read about it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been watching a lot of 90's MMA. Tournaments with Renzo Gracie, Bob Schriber, some of the Shooto stuff, early early Pancrase like Bas Rutten-Ken-Frank era.

You ever heard of Bart Vale?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    haha that's funny you brought up Sengoku because he was actually talking to me about it the other day and I was like man that is one of those promotions I never was able to find so I only read about it.
    Yeah, it wasn't easy to chase down those shows back in the day, for some of them I had to download the show in like 10 different .avi parts and watch it in 480 resolution with Japanese commentary. Better than nothing I guess. After PRIDE died DREAM got all the attention in Japan, but Sengoku did have some pretty decent fights/events/fighters as well. They did have Gomi though, who was still a big star in Japan, and I remember watching Masvidal in a fight or two there as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    We've been watching a lot of 90's MMA. Tournaments with Renzo Gracie, Bob Schriber, some of the Shooto stuff, early early Pancrase like Bas Rutten-Ken-Frank era.

You ever heard of Bart Vale?
    Yeah, mostly remember seeing him on "Learn to Fight" style VHS tapes though. Don't think I've seen him actually fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, mostly remember seeing him on "Learn to Fight" style VHS tapes though. Don't think I've seen him actually fight.
    He has a wikipedia but it's weird because there's only a handful of fights recorded but when I saw him it said he was the NHB heavyweight champion...but back in 1995 you never knew who recognized that championship. Like when they'd say Rickson had like 250 NHB fights and he was undefeated....a lot of those were like a karate guy showing up and getting armbarred in his gym lol.

Here's a fight Bart Vale v. Ken Shamrock. It's not recorded on either man's record that I know of because apparently it happened at a pro wrestling event. No fucking way you're taking these shots for fun:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I remember there was somewhat of a debate back in the day if the old Pancrase style fights should be considered actual MMA fights or not. The rules were kind of wonky with only open handed strikes being allowed and usually no striking at all on the ground. There was also the issue with a lot of those fights in Japan being works.

Before MMA was legal here in Sweden there was "Shootfighting" events which were fought with 8oz MMA gloves/shinpads and zero striking being allowed on the ground. I was never a huge fan of those rules. Don't think fights under those rules are on any MMA fighters records either.

I actually attended the first ever Swedish MMA event if I remember correctly. Think it was called "The Zone" and the cage was the size of a very small bath room. Time flies..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yes, looked it up and the first ever Swedish MMA event was The Zone FC 1 on February 9, 2008.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So, Francis Ngannou has signed a multi-fight deal with the PFL.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Francis Ngannou has signed a multi-fight deal with the PFL.
    Here's my question---Does PFL have money because their roster is so small and they don't pay their fighters very well? Ngannou also secured a minimum $2 million for his opponents. He won't be fighting until sometime in 2024. He'll also be on the board for PFL Africa because everyone knows that's the untapped market...

Werdum already threw his name out there. My other question is, by 2024 will anyone honestly give a shit about Ngannou? This feels like a huge risk for PFL who has almost no fans. Who's watching this?