User Tag List

Thread: Final Fantasy XV

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final Fantasy XV

So, Square Enix has released a demo coupled with the HD version of Type-0 on PS4(maybe XBone, but not too sure), a deep demo that gives you anywhere between 2-4 hours of play depending on how deep you go into it. Has anyone else played it yet?

I got the chance to sit down with it at my friend's house, and it is pretty wonderful. The gameplay is like a more complex and engaging version of the Kingdom Hearts style, with an intricate battle system with lots of room for customization. You have a bevy of weapons at your disposal, and you assign them types of attacks. Basically, a long-range attack, your standard combo attack, your final blow, and one or two others. Each weapon has a special ability tied to it, akin to skills and special attacks that aren't magic in previous games, and most actions drain MP. You also have a sword that allows you to warp to certain locations, like warping to a high scaffold to avoid attacks and recover HP/MP(which recovers faster at higher ground), warping towards your enemy to strike, and I'm sure other uses that aren't quite prevalent in the demo.

You get an ability that I think is the equivalent of a limit break. When your MP is full, you can initiate it, and it's like a special mode of attack where you deal more damage and warp to enemies automatically. I assume there are more you get throughout the game. And while the exact way summoning works is said to be under development(it's currently "summon when you hit 0 HP" which many people aren't too fond of), the presentation of it was epic. I don't want to spoil anything as the discovery of it really floored me, and anyone who can get access to the demo should experience it the same way.

The world is essentially open, with what I assume to be "mini-maps" making up an all encompassing map, but the mini-map you play in is still pretty fucking big. You have various quests, from main quests to side quests, seems like a lot of potential secrets, and the set pieces are magnificent. The demo focuses on the hunting of a behemoth, and the entire journey is fun, exciting, and rather dangerous.

The graphics look wonderful, though there were times I felt they looked a bit grainy or seemed to have an odd frame rate or something. It's been a week since I've played it now, so my memory on what exactly I didn't like about the graphics is foggy, but they were still pretty fucking impressive as far the landscapes and such go.

There is so much I could go into about this game, but ultimately, I walked away with the impression that this could be the game that brings FF back to its former glory. The story seems rather intriguing, the setting and environment is both fresh and reminiscent of every FF setting from the past(Modern, fantasy, monarchy, government, all rolled into one), and the battle system is both engaging and satisfying as compared to the likes of XII and XIII. It's kind of like the perfect version of what they attempted with both of those games mixed together. It's different, that's for sure, but the demo felt like the best kind of different.

Only downfall is to get the demo, you have to pay $60 for Final Fantasy Type-0, and the demo is only available for about another month, so not only is time limited, but if you don't give a fuck about Type-0, you're basically paying 60 bucks for a limited-time demo. But if you're willing to try the game or have the money to spare, the playthrough is really fun and rewarding, and it got me excited for the eventual release?

So thoughts? Anyone else get to play it or see footage from it?

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Played the demo, enjoyed it massively. Probably didnt acquaint myself with the battle system as much as I could of but hey ho. Currently playing type 0 and enjoying it so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is encouraging. I will keep an eye on things. Glad you liked the demo.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Played the demo, enjoyed it massively. Probably didnt acquaint myself with the battle system as much as I could of but hey ho. Currently playing type 0 and enjoying it so far.
    I didn't explore the nuances of the battle system myself, like customizing the weapon set-up and what not, but I've read articles where people did spend time fucking around with it and they said it's pretty deep and rewarding.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I need to get my ass on some Type 0. Shit looks fuckin raw.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone got the chance to play this yet? I got it the day after release. Not even that far into the story, and I'm loving it so far. The environments suffer some time from feeling like a flat open world with no real civilization. At least so far. That, and it feels kind of similar to a lot of generic open-world games, as you start in a hybrid desert-mountain area that doesn't offer much to the imagination. But the gameplay is pretty awesome. It drops you in the world and doesn't force you to continue the story, as there are a ton of sidequests to take part in and world to explore. The combat is really enthralling once you start getting to the more difficult battles(Iron Giants are assholes early on, by the way. And Flans are the most irritating they've ever been). It's definitely been overhauled from the previous system. Making the techs dependent on your partners was a smart move, as it gave them more importance, but I miss being able to assign a weapon to different range moves. Then again, I don't remember if you could switch between weapons on the fly, so maybe that's why they changed it, but it added a deeper strategic element that I enjoyed. Regardless, it's been streamlined and still pretty damn deep, and I guess it caters to a more involved strategy rather then menu-plotting.

I love it so far. We'll see how the story actually starts developing, and if the hollowness of the world persists throughout. But so far, I think it was well worth my money, and miles better than XIII. Verdicts still out on whether it's better than or as good as XII.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Finished the story, I'm not sure exactly what the deal is, but I assume it's because for the first play though I went on easy (will revisit it to do more quests etc on normal), but every time Noctis should 'die' a spell called ruby light is auto cast which revives and regenerates all his health and mp, which basically means I was invincible.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished the story, I'm not sure exactly what the deal is, but I assume it's because for the first play though I went on easy (will revisit it to do more quests etc on normal), but every time Noctis should 'die' a spell called ruby light is auto cast which revives and regenerates all his health and mp, which basically means I was invincible.
    Did you play the Platinum Demo?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I did, but on a different PSN account, seems a bit daft whatever the reason, I've never known a game where you can't fail before, let alone a FF.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did, but on a different PSN account, seems a bit daft whatever the reason, I've never known a game where you can't fail before, let alone a FF.
    Hmm. Well that's never happened to me, but I play on Normal. So I guarantee it's because of that.

That's as bad as the time my friend started playing Final Fantasy IV and didn't realize until he had crushed almost every boss in the game that he was playing the original translation, which is based off an easier version of the game.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Yeh must be that, but they can have a 'easy' setting without making it impossible to die. As I say I will re-visit it next year. I mainly put it on easy to get used to everything and just enjoy the story.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    One thing that didn't sit too well with me was having full on stealth parts to missions this is FF not Ass Creed mother fuckers.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    WHAT'S A CEMETARY?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    This is currently 80% off on PS4 for PS Plus members till 4th April.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I wish they would port the pc version of FF9 in the same way they did 7, My fave bar none.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    FFX was the best because Blitzball was amazing.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    This is currently 80% off on PS4 for PS Plus members till 4th April.
    If any one has yet to play because they were on the fence, get it for this price while you can. That's a major deal, and the game is fantastic. It has its shortcomings, but it'll suck you in for hours. Not to mention all the promised content to come throughout the year(First Story DLC comes out within a week). I would easily at least give the game an 8 out of 10.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £10 for people in the UK with PSN+

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...NALFANTASYXV00

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    No such deal in NA (or at least in Canada)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would port the pc version of FF9 in the same way they did 7, My fave bar none.
    What's wrong with the FF9 port they currently have?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I meant port the pc version to ps4 like they have with 7

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok. See, I didn't like the PC port's visuals too much. They were ok but could've been better. Its cool that they upscaled the 3d models, but all the backgrounds are still very blurry, which looks awkward to me. At least when the 3d models were low res, they blended in with the scenery better since everything was low res back then.

What they really should've done was dug up the original artwork that the artist made for the game back in 2000 before it was inserted into the game, and then used that today for a proper HD port.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612

You can see the art in here, which suggests that maybe there could be the complete background set out there somewhere that they could use to really polish up this port.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Excellent stuff. Tbh I don't see them porting to ps4 but I can hope

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just started playing this and on Chapter 2. First impressions are I like the graphics and battle system, the point warp is a nice touch. Levelling up every time you sleep is definitely new, It seems to heavily rely on hunts as a way of making money rather than just killing random enemies on the battlefield like in past games, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *STORY SPOILERS*

Last edited by Badger; July 12th, 2017 at 5:54 PM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any one else have this that has access to the multiplayer beta?

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, picked this up a couple of weeks ago for the PC.

I'm about 10 hours in. Just got to the first city(ish), where you meet up with Gladius's sister.

It's gets better, yeah? Tell me it gets better.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    So, picked this up a couple of weeks ago for the PC.

I'm about 10 hours in. Just got to the first city(ish), where you meet up with Gladius's sister.

It's gets better, yeah? Tell me it gets better.
    Define better...

Personally, I love the open world aspect and think the gameplay in a bubble is brilliant. Not quite as deep as the demo was, but much more streamlined and makes more sense. It gets to the point where some of the victories are incredibly rewarding after you have to topple one of the badder enemies(Iron Giants fucked my life for a while). Exploring is addictive and there's something satisfying about coming across the Royal Tombs. Not to mention it just feels good to drive around the country listening to classic tunes from older Final Fantasy's.

But if you're mostly grinding through the story, which it sounds like it, you won't be that impressed. The early parts don't have too many moments that stick with you, minimal cutscenes, and it constantly feels like there's a story going on underneath the surface that you're not getting. And that's because there is. The plot was designed to work in sync with the movie, which fills in all the blanks on who Ardyn is, what exactly happened to the King and at the royal capitol, and the ever important "ring" that you'll soon be coming into contact with. The second half takes you out of the open world and puts you on a linear fast-track to the end of the game, and while there's a way to go back to the open world and continue doing your thing, the interaction with the story is minimal.

And that's where possibly my, and other's, biggest complaint comes in. As fun as the open world is, it's fairly hollow with little in the ways of actual "towns." The linear part has you passing through bigger locations that look like a blast to explore, but you only see them in the background. There's no connection between the open-world and the somewhat more elaborate locales in the story portion that makes you feel like the game and the story are happening at the same time. And the story itself, while more engaging the deeper you go, feels rushed and never properly lets you absorb everything.

So, if you're coming into this game for a fantastic story or one that fits nicely into the open world like every preceding FF before it, you probably won't enjoy it. The biggest flaw in that aspect being that Lestallum is probably the only place that gives you the "town" vibe that you get from all the locations in previous FF's, everything else feeling like such a tiny pit stop(because...well, most of them are). Altissia is magnificent, but after that, you go straight into the linear drag and never see a well-fleshed out city again. But if you enjoy the general exploration and side-quests, then the game is pretty damn fun. I sunk a lot of hours into it, and really only started feeling disappointed after Altissia.

I think with a few more noteworthy locations in the open-world and a better integration of the two parts of the game, this could have been perfect. As it stands, it's a solid attempt at bringing the gameplay back to Final Fantasy while making some severe missteps in implementing the story.

That said, you should totally watch Kingsglaive. You'll glean way more from the story, and even if you aren't interested in continuing the game, it's a pretty dope movie.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm finishing this game.

I finished 13, I can finish anything. And in fairness, once you made it to the end game of 13, it was a different, brilliant game.

My problem at the moment is how stop start the thing is. I'm a natural quester, my mmorpg routes shine through wanting to discover the world and do all the quests, but the mini map doesn't show multiple quest locations, it seems very much designed to have you sit in that flipping car all of the flipping time. And I don't like the combat. Kingdom Hearts is more complex. The cast is annoying. The script and voice acting are still nowhere near 12's level, and given 12 was released a decade ago, is kind of unforgivable.

You're bang on about the hollow nature of the towns and cities.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The battle system is deeper than they really tell you in game. There are different attacks you do based on the direction you hold as opposed to just holding the button or mashing it over and over again. Makes a pretty solid difference for the harder battles. And while the mini map doesn't show multiple quest locations, you can easily swap from quest to quest, unless you mean they should be on the map before you initiate them. I didn't really get the feeling of feeling like they wanted me in the car all the time, especially once you unlock the chocobos. But I generally agree about the rest. It just feels like a grand idea with somewhat bad execution. But I actually enjoy the battle system, so there was more to glean for me. For you, it sounds like there's not that much to gain.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is the battle system which is my sticking point so far.

As bad as the game was at times, 13 (and sequels) had a wonderful system. 12's was revolutionary. 10 and 10-2 were both complex and enjoyable. And then before that the perfection was met through time.

This is feeling so bereft of player involvement and variety. Actually, scrub that, there is no variety. Meh.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free travel of the open world from the start is good, but rhe story itself is pretty linear for the most part, especially towards the end. You basically gotta do lots of side quests and hunts to level up, and even most of the rewards aren't even worth it most of the time. As for Altissa, for such a vast city, the only areas you can explore are pretty enclosed and small. One part of the story later on which threw me for a loop and will spoiler oit of courtesy:

Also for thosecthat have played theDLCs, Episode Ignis givès some decent backstory though the bonus fight with Noctis is FUCKING hard like you would not believe! Way harder than any storyline bosses. Enjoyed bits of Episode Prompto. Episode Gladio is just a waste of two hours though the bonus fight with Cor is a bit of a challenge but once you get the hang of parrying and building up your rage and valor meters, it's not so bad.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, after nearly a year I went back to this about a month ago. Finished up today on level 80.

I have no desire to complete the end game content. I have no desire to complete the DLC which came with the edition I bought. It ended up being better than the first 20 hours suggested, but still incredibly disappointing.

It is worse than 13. By a distance, actually.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeaaaaaahhhhh, I don't know about that. The story is flawed, buy I think the open world is great. If nothing else, it's more fun to play than XII.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Episode Ardyn should be a good one. I feel they didn't expand on his backstory enough in the original game.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Yeaaaaaahhhhh, I don't know about that. The story is flawed, buy I think the open world is great. If nothing else, it's more fun to play than XII.
    Not come the end of the game. 13 fucking shines there and I'd even suggest the journey to there is more fun.

There's such a lack of depth to the entire thing.

What direction they're going to go for 16, I have no idea. I'd like to see a return to something not even remotely arpg, but we'll see.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got no stamina JP that's your problem!

I haven't played 13 so can't compare that but 15 is definitely better than 12 though I do love the soundtrack for 12.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 15 is definitely better than a game which has a legitimate shout for possibly being one of the best ever made.

Gin. Gin and a gun.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visually maybe but it's a worse slog than 15 and I hate Vaan.

I'll take that gin and raise you a vodka vodka vodka.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I drink a whiskey drink, I drink a vodka drink, I drink a lager drink, I drink a cider drink.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Dannnny Boyyyyy!!!!

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey now. XII was a solid game. Weak cast, but great gameplay and exploration.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Hey now. XII was a solid game. Weak cast, but great gameplay and exploration.
    I was only messing about a bit with JP really.

It's got fucking great graphics and soundtrack, but did tire I bit on my first playthrough because I found it took ages to progress and I was impatient. I do actually hate Vaan though. Liked Balthier.

I won't spoil anything for JP regarding 15 but I hope he does get to the bit where they get to Altissia where the story really picks up.
    Last edited by Badger; April 3rd, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downloaded Episode Ardyn too. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I won't spoil anything for JP regarding 15 but I hope he does get to the bit where they get to Altissia where the story really picks up.
    Reading is fun.

So, after nearly a year I went back to this about a month ago. Finished up today on level 80.

I have no desire to complete the end game content. I have no desire to complete the DLC which came with the edition I bought. It ended up being better than the first 20 hours suggested, but still incredibly disappointing.

It is worse than 13. By a distance, actually.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading is fun.
    Sorry.

I liked getting the flying car though, it is fucking difficult to get. I comoleted everything except the Pitioss Ruins, that makes anyone want to lose the will to live.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comoleted Ardyn. While there is a bit of expansion on Ardyn and you feel sympathy the while thing still felt rushed and was lacking substance. Also he's ridiculously overpowered and while it's fun leaping between building and wipibg out sokdiers, it wasn't much of a chakpllenge at all. The bonus fight at the end while far more difficult, it's not worth doing because you get nothing for completing it. Still though, better than episode Gladio.

I'd rank the DLCs like this:

Ignis > Prompto > Ardyn > Gladio