User Tag List

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Thread

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's only worth a 2nd round pick if you ask me, I know we have been through this before. By all means tag him next year and pay him top QB money without actually proving to be a starter. Call the Patriots bluff.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call it a bluff. The Patriots value roster depth more than any other team (arguably), and having a backup QB they could win the Super Bowl with in the event an injury happens to Brady in 2017 is very valuable to them. The tag-and-trade option just means they can still get something for him next year. That's what they did with Matt Cassel.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I wouldn't call it a bluff. The Patriots value roster depth more than any other team (arguably), and having a backup QB they could win the Super Bowl with in the event an injury happens to Brady in 2017 is very valuable to them. The tag-and-trade option just means they can still get something for him next year. That's what they did with Matt Cassel.
    But they are going to pay someone starter money to be a backup? They are going to have to make a big decision next year.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd trade him this year. Jacoby Brisset looked pretty good filling in for Brady.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A situation could happen where a starter goes down in camp like Bridgewater did and a team could get desperate.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    But they are going to pay someone starter money to be a backup?
    Hell nah, that would be the exact opposite of their philosophy. Not sure why you're thinking I ever suggested that.

They are going to have to make a big decision next year.
    Correct. And that decision will probably be made based on how Brady performs this season. If he's still playing at an MVP level, you move Jimmy.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell nah, that would be the exact opposite of their philosophy. Not sure why you're thinking I ever suggested that.

Correct. And that decision will probably be made based on how Brady performs this season. If he's still playing at an MVP level, you move Jimmy.
    It was because you suggested they franchise him. Unless Brady retires, I could see him playing at a high level for the next 3 years, at least.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggested they franchise and trade him. Zero chance they go into 2018 with Jimmy playing under the franchise tag as a backup. What I think you're saying is what if they franchise him but then no one wants to trade for him, in your words the league calls their bluff, but that's not going to happen. The Pats know his value based on the offers/conversations they've already had for him. They did it with Matt Cassel before (franchised him then traded him roughly a month later). Sure Jimmy's value next year under the tag is less than it is now with a cheap year remaining, but it's not as if all of a sudden no one would touch him. Matt Cassel (under the franchise tag) and Mike Vrabel got them the 34th overall pick, for comparison.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggested they franchise and trade him. Zero chance they go into 2018 with Jimmy playing under the franchise tag as a backup. What I think you're saying is what if they franchise him but then no one wants to trade for him, in your words the league calls their bluff, but that's not going to happen. The Pats know his value based on the offers/conversations they've already had for him. They did it with Matt Cassel before (franchised him then traded him roughly a month later). Sure Jimmy's value next year under the tag is less than it is now with a cheap year remaining, but it's not as if all of a sudden no one would touch him. Matt Cassel (under the franchise tag) and Mike Vrabel got them the 34th overall pick, for comparison.
    It will all depend on the market. If there are teams out there that didn't get their guy in this draft or their QB gets hurt then it's possible they get good value for him.

Matt Cassel also played a full season and went 11-5. There was a much bigger sample size. I understand JG has more potential than Cassel had but it's a tough comparison to make because of the circumstances

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wasn't Mike Vrabel part of that trade too?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jets cut Brandon Marshall after he declines an extension, rumors are that they plan to cut Decker as well.

Very classy goodbye post on IG from Marshall. He even thanks the janitors by name.
    Last edited by BigAle; March 3rd, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Completely blowing it up. It's something they needed to do a while ago.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So, after the combine and the teams looking at QB heading into FA/the draft ...

Cleveland - picks 1 & 12
    San Francisco - pick 2
    Chicago - pick 3
    New York J - pick 6
    Buffalo - pick 10
    Arizona - pick 13
    Houston - pick 25

QB's likely available in FA/trade who could possibly start elsewhere immediately ...

Tony Romo
    Jimmy Garappolo
    Tyrod Taylor
    Jay Cutler
    Colin Kaepernick
    Mike Glennon
    Ryan Fitzpatrick

QB prospects heading into 2017 draft ...

Mitchell Trubisky
    Deshaun Watson
    Pat Mahomes
    Nathan Peterman
    Brad Kaaya
    Chad Kelly
    Deshone Kizer
    Davis Webb

Only looking at this from a Texans-centric point of view, best case scenario we could pull off a deal for Jimmy G. He'd be at the top of the board ranking all these QBs in one big group taking into account talent/age/affordability/potential. Doubt BB wants to trade to an already playoff team in conference that really just needs better QB play. But who knows. Next up would be to take a flier on a team-friendly Romo deal while drafting a young arm. That arm for me, taking into account draft position, would go ...

Mahomes - off-schedule in a pass-happy offense. but absolutely loaded with tools and intangibles, with seemingly good enough head for next-level coaching.
    Peterman - appears to have B+ traits across the board, and that could work. interested, but would like to pick up at least a solid piece or two first.
    Kaaya - C+/B- traits across the board. If we do absolutely nothing else and he's still there in the 3rd/4th then sure.
    Kelly - billion dollar arm, head like a bag of cats. hopefully he wants to be a pro bad enough to cool his shit at the next level. arm is worth a later round risk.

Anyone else a fan of a team in need of an arm and looked into who you may count on next season?
    Last edited by percussion13; March 6th, 2017 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Opening Survey:
    Who will win Super Bowl 52? The Packers
    Which team will gain/lose the most wins vs their 2016 total? Jaguars gain the most wins from 2016; Cowboys lose the most
    Which new head coach will be the most successful? I don't think any of them make the playoffs, but I'll go with Marrone because I think he'll have the most positive change in his first season.
    Who would you draft with the #1 fantasy pick right now? Gut instinct is David Johnson or LeVeon Bell, but I want to see how FA and the draft pans out.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest couple days in the offseason other than the draft begins at noon today. Let the free agent frenzy begin. Smash that twitter refresh button, gents.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deion was correct, he was gone way before the 10th pick. Legend is correct.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest couple days in the offseason other than the draft begins at noon today. Let the free agent frenzy begin. Smash that twitter refresh button, gents.
    Who do you see being reported as being signed as the biggest surprise on the first day of free agency? AP?
    Last edited by BigAle; March 7th, 2017 at 10:09 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alshon Jeffery to the Cardinals.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Brandon Marshall to the Pats.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    Who do you see being reported as being signed as the biggest surprise on the first day of free agency? AP?
    Hard to say... there isn't a whole lot that would surprise me. The big names usually fall pretty quickly once the legal tampering period begins.

Everyone is saying the Bears are going to give Mike Glennon $15 mil a year, lol. So are they wanting him as their starter?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Paying Gelnnon and then drafting someone to take over in a year or two seems like an okay plan. Its not like they are just a QB away from the playoffs.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenny Stills or Britt to Eagles. I guess that wouldn't be a surprise

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get this mumbo jumbo that you could negotiate but not sign players. Why doesn't free agency just start today? Why this nonsense of waiting until thursday?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The idea is that it gives time for everyone to make a pitch to the player who would like to.

Guys were signing deals 3 min after free agency started. You know there was illegal negotiations happening. Now those negotiations just happen in this window.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    The idea is that it gives time for everyone to make a pitch to the player who would like to.

Guys were signing deals 3 min after free agency started. You know there was illegal negotiations happening. Now those negotiations just happen in this window.
    But doesn't it just open teams and players for illegal activity that the NFL claims they don't want? Obviously teams are breaking the rules. So technically if players are "signing" today anyway, what's the point of this window? I remember in prior years we see headlines that such and such player agreed with such and such team before free agency even began.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No one is signing today. They can agree to terms but that doesn't mean someone cannot swoop in and make a better deal between now and when they can sign.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they're not officially "signing" today. They're agreeing in principal to a deal but the deal isn't officially signed until Thursday so if another team comes in and makes a better offer the player can sign that deal instead.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/ChadwikoRCC/stat...49622082072576

This DC guy is pretty convinced that Kirk Cousins to San Fran is going to happen.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Can we take a moment to acknowledge that the Redskins GM is no where to be found yet again?

How does he still have a job? And who is negotiating the trade with the 49ers?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that is a strange situation. People are guessing it's related to his alcoholism. If the team is giving him a chance to get clean instead of firing him, good on them. I'm sure they have an assistant GM who can handle this stuff for the time being.

Unrelated note, I'm reading this article on Joe Mixon's pro day on ESPN.com. In it, they mention that "The NFL instituted a new rule this year that bars players from participating in the combine if they have misdemeanor or felony convictions involving domestic violence." Okay, what does that have to do with Mixon? It's like people think domestic violence means male on female violence. It actually means violence in the home or in a relationship, which is WAY worse because the victim is trapped in their situation. Calling punching a random drunk girl at a bar domestic violence is a slap in the face to actual domestic violence victims.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brandon Marshall to the Giants. First big name to drop (other than guys re-signing with their own teams).

Marshall and Odell together. That should be a lot of fun, both on and off the field.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Didn't see that coming at all. Great pickup, and hopefully Marshall can help mentor OBJ a little bit. Get his head straight.

I think OBJ's fantasy value takes a bit of a hit here. The case could be made that Marshall will help draw coverage away from OBJ but I think in the long run he ends up taking catches away. Hope I'm wrong though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how can they agree to a deal before free agency starts? I don't get how this works to be honest. I know you can negotiate a deal but how can you agree? Can another team now come in and say we will give you 2 years 13 million and snatch him?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They've verbally agreed to a deal, and it can be signed tomorrow.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that yes, another team could possibly come in and offer him extra money or extra years. But that other team can't force him to sign with them, so basically it's Marshall saying "hey, I'm good with the deal I signed and I'm not listening to other offers."

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how can they agree to a deal before free agency starts? I don't get how this works to be honest. I know you can negotiate a deal but how can you agree? Can another team now come in and say we will give you 2 years 13 million and snatch him?
    You can't sign the contract until tomorrow but you can agree to terms. Theoretically either side could still back out since it's not on paper yet but that rarely ever happens.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    DeAndre Jordan

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 2 years/12 million I'd say it's a fair deal for his 33 and 34 year old seasons. He might regress physically but they're not breaking the bank for him. I'd be happy with that deal were I a Giants fan.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wow. Didn't see that coming at all. Great pickup, and hopefully Marshall can help mentor OBJ a little bit. Get his head straight.

I think OBJ's fantasy value takes a bit of a hit here. The case could be made that Marshall will help draw coverage away from OBJ but I think in the long run he ends up taking catches away. Hope I'm wrong though.
    OBJ will get his. Sterling Shepard is the one to get fucked here. Odd signing for the giants. That money could have addressed one of their actual needs. Instead they are slowing down the development of one of the most promising WR2's in the game.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    OBJ will get his. Sterling Shepard is the one to get fucked here. Odd signing for the giants. That money could have addressed one of their actual needs. Instead they are slowing down the development of one of the most promising WR2's in the game.
    They could draft a running back and o line help.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't remember where I heard it, but some radio show said Marshall was likely to sign with a team in either LA or New York to continue doing his broadcasting on the side. Narrowed it down to three teams if that is true.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They could draft a running back and o line help.
    Everything I have read has said deep draft at RB, very thin at OL.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like Marshall but if Eli only has two seconds to throw the ball what does it matter?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything I have read has said deep draft at RB, very thin at OL.
    draft oline early and running back late would be the best bet i guess.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mortreport: When Pierre Garcon finalizes deal with 49ers, as expected, league sources believe he will make $16 million in first year.

So that means he'll make 4 million more in year 1 than Marshall will make in 2 seasons, if these numbers hold true (granted we should wait for the final figures). That seems crazy. Garcon is only 1 year younger and not nearly as good.

Marshall may have taken less money to stay in NY because, as TS said, he already has his eyes on his broadcasting career.

EDIT: Garcon is 2 years younger, my mistake.
    Last edited by Fro; March 8th, 2017 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I know the Niners have a ton of cap space, but that's a lot. Maybe setting the stages for a Cousins trade?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mortreport: When Pierre Garcon finalizes deal with 49ers, as expected, league sources believe he will make $16 million in first year.

So that means he'll make 4 million more in year 1 than Marshall will make in 2 seasons, if these numbers hold true (granted we should wait for the final figures). That seems crazy. Garcon is only 1 year younger and not nearly as good.

Marshall may have taken less money to stay in NY because, as TS said, he already has his eyes on his broadcasting career.

EDIT: Garcon is 2 years younger, my mistake.
    that is a weird weird deal to give him. you could have gotten Alshon for that money or a tad more for that I would think right? Has to be something in that contract that we don't know about where it is front loaded and the next years the cap hit isn't nearly as much

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He did have a great year when Shanny was his OC. I'm sure that plays a part in the decision. He's apparently a good blocker for a WR.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Courting Kirk Cousins?

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    that is a weird weird deal to give him. you could have gotten Alshon for that money or a tad more for that I would think right? Has to be something in that contract that we don't know about where it is front loaded and the next years the cap hit isn't nearly as much
    From what I'm hearing the Bears are offering Jeffrey 14-15 mil a year with possible incentives based on performance and health.

I heard the market for him wasn't as huge as his agent thought it would be. Must be sure to his injury history and not being able to play a full season of late

Edit: As I say that he's been spotted in Philadelphia
    Last edited by kdestiny; March 8th, 2017 at 2:24 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was just chatting with a co-worker, who is from Chicago, and he says that outside of the cubs it is hard for Chicago teams to land free agents lately. Why (other than the bears are bad lately) is this the case?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They're afraid they'll get shot.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Violence in the city is out of control?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it probably has to do with that particular fan's idiocy.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    I was just chatting with a co-worker, who is from Chicago, and he says that outside of the cubs it is hard for Chicago teams to land free agents lately. Why (other than the bears are bad lately) is this the case?
    There's some sort of law being put in place that I believe would hurt benefits for retired players.

The head of the NFLPA has essentially told free agents to not sign with Chicago

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bingo.

They want to cut off workmen's comp for athletes at 35.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bingo.

They want to cut off workmen's comp for athletes at 35.
    Is it them or is it government officials?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Here is the article. Its being pushed by Bears owners.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/...p-bill-passes/

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Shit

Pretty bad on their part and just a bad idea all around
    Last edited by kdestiny; March 8th, 2017 at 2:59 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyrod re-signs in Buffalo. Didn't expect that.

Romo will be released by the Cowboys tomorrow, per reports. Allows him to pick where he wants to go. Everyone says Denver. I still think it could be Houston.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think he would chose Houston if the money was equal. I'm not sure how they will structure it to pay him.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think he would chose Houston if the money was equal. I'm not sure how they will structure it to pay him.
    Especially with Brock still under contract. The bears should really look at that example before signing Glennon to big money

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'd imagine it to be something like a 2-year deal with a low base the first year heavy in playing-time incentives and a backloaded second year, while concurrently looking to draft a kid in the first few rounds (Mahomes, Peterman, Kaaya, Kelly) to groom during those two seasons.

Brock only has this coming seasons guaranteed money left before he's cut relatively scott free.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hoyer to the 49ers.

I assume there is another QB piece to fall there and he will be the back up.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hoyer to the 49ers.

Or he's a one year stop-gap to groom a rookie.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, but I'd expect the rookie to push him this year to start.

Also no state tax in Houston for Romo if he stays in Texas.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pats trade for Dwayne Allen from the Colts to be their new #2 Tight End, replacing Martellus Bennett.

I like it. Bennett wasn't going to come back. Allen is known as a good blocker. Big dude (6'3).

Compensation not yet revealed but likely a late pick.

EDIT: we gave up a 4th rounder to get Allen and the Colts' 6th rounder. Not bad.
    Last edited by Fro; March 8th, 2017 at 6:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Hoyer to the 49ers.

That means Cousins is staying put for now. 49ers, for however incompetent they are, have a good chance at a clean start and a
    good rebuilding project. Too bad they have an inexperienced GM at the helm.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pats trade for Dwayne Allen from the Colts to be their new #2 Tight End, replacing Martellus Bennett.

I like it. Bennett wasn't going to come back. Allen is known as a good blocker. Big dude (6'3).

Compensation not yet revealed but likely a late pick.

EDIT: we gave up a 4th rounder to get Allen and the Colts' 6th rounder. Not bad.
    Damn it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn it.
    You're a Colts fan right. What're your thoughts on Allen? Seems like the new GM was down on him and needed to dump him after the Jack Doyle signing. Injury prone, good blocker, good in the red zone is what I'm seeing.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    You're a Colts fan right. What're your thoughts on Allen? Seems like the new GM was down on him and needed to dump him after the Jack Doyle signing. Injury prone, good blocker, good in the red zone is what I'm seeing.
    This draft is deep at TE they will be able to find a new one

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Above average blocker and great hands in the red zone. Allen was top three for TEs in the red zone since 2013. His value was primarily in his blocking due to the dreadful offensive line the Colts have had for the past couple seasons. Didn't really blossom into the pass catching TE the team thought he would for that reason. They also just re-signed Doyle and can pick up a TE in the draft. A 4th round pick is a good return for what the Colts traded, but I'm still bummed. He was one of my favorites and I had him on a championship fantasy team. He'll do very well with Brady.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Dolphins wasting a lot of money so far this offseason. That's the front office mismanagement we've come to expect.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why you say that? Dolphins fans I've read and spoke to out happy so far about Branch and especially now Kenny Stills has resigned.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Way too much guaranteed money for the both of them.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hope Romo goes to Houston. I could see him slinging the ball to Hopkins with Miller in the backfield and a young, fast defense on the other side. Denver just seems like a destination built for failure at his age and make.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marshall was cut by the Jets and therefore was free to sign with anyone at any time. The whole 'not signing until the League year starts' thing is just for players officially contracted with a side still.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patriots will reportedly sign Bills pro bowl CB Stephon Gilmore. Love it. Him and Butler should be a great duo. I want us to sign Butler to an extension badly but with Gilmore at least it won't be a doomsday scenario if Butler leaves next year.

Now we just need to re-sign Hightower. Hopefully. Otherwise we will be very weak at LB.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    DeSean Jackson to the Bucs.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cousins better hope Doctson can stay on the field this year.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cousins is laughing his way to the bank in 12 months regardless. He's in an incredible position.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    He's making bank off these last two franchise tags, of course, but if he wants to come out shining in the next FA cycle for the most long-term guaranteed money..

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting debate at work this morning: if Glennon actually gets $15M, what would somebody like Rodgers get on the open market?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    He's making bank off these last two franchise tags, of course, but if he wants to come out shining in the next FA cycle for the most long-term guaranteed money..
    Unless he has a Ryan Fitzpatrick 2016-level collapse on the prior year I think he'll be ok, regardless of whether he's playing in San Fran or Washington in 2017. Unless he gets injured or has that complete drop-off he is almost guaranteed to hit free agency. A genuine starting-calibre QB hitting free agency at the age of 29 is going to get paid.

Even if his play drops off a bit in 2017 teams have enough on him from the last two years to think they can get production out of him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting debate at work this morning: if Glennon actually gets $15M, what would somebody like Rodgers get on the open market?
    $30 to 34 mil, something in that range.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Unless he has a Ryan Fitzpatrick 2016-level collapse on the prior year I think he'll be ok, regardless of whether he's playing in San Fran or Washington in 2017. Unless he gets injured or has that complete drop-off he is almost guaranteed to hit free agency. A genuine starting-calibre QB hitting free agency at the age of 29 is going to get paid.

Even if his play drops off a bit in 2017 teams have enough on him from the last two years to think they can get production out of him.
    Cousins' could shit the bed 16 times and he's getting paid regardless, the state of the QB league, and I agree.

But ... if he'd like to not have a bummer of a season, for a) mere competition sake, and b) he'd like to maximize his career's most peak earning potential, he'd better hope for a ready Doctson.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fit Jordan Reed probably even moreso.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    True.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New England Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints for Brandin Cooks per sources.

Mixed feelings. I would rather stand pat and field arguably the best secondary in the league with Butler-Gilmore-McCourty-Chung-Rowe but I can see why this deal would make sense. Butler is only under contract for 2017. Cooks has a team option for 2018 so he would be under control an extra year. I love Butler and I want Bill to look at him like fans do, but the Gilmore signing says they see him (with his superior physical traits) as more valuable than the scrappy undrafted guy who embodies the Patriot way. Ahhh man. Either way we gucci though. If they make this deal, Cooks better be an electric factory with Brady.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last chance to play the QB game before the dominos start to fall tonight:

Tony Romo - Broncos
    Jay Cutler - Jets
    Jimmy Garoppolo - Patriots
    Tyrod Taylor - Bills (confirmed?)
    Colin Kaepernick - Browns
    RG3 - Browns
    Kirk Cousins - Redskins
    Ryan Fitzpatrick - Giants
    Geno Smith - Unemployed

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It should be noted that $15M buts him around 24th in terms of pay for starting QBs so its not like the money is out of line if they think he is the starter. Its bottom 1/3 pay for a bottom 1/3 starting QB

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Patriots land Cooks, they will be set. Repeat. No one in the AFC can top them. Brady with Cooks in flat, Edelman in slot - Amendola, Hogan and Mitchell supported - with Lewis and White in the backfield, Gronk at TE and Allen in the second spot will be absolutely electric. Incredible opportunity to become one of the best passing offensives we have seen in the 21st century.

Malcom Butler is one of my favorite Pats players, but overall, I am confident that Bellicheck and Matty P. can insert anyone into those defensive schemes and have success.

I, for one, as a long-time Pats fan, hope this trade happens.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody said what the Saints are asking for Cooks?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody said what the Saints are asking for Cooks?
    The world, chico. And everything in it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    It should be noted that $15M buts him around 24th in terms of pay for starting QBs so its not like the money is out of line if they think he is the starter. Its bottom 1/3 pay for a bottom 1/3 starting QB
    Bears paid 44 million for Glennon.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Over 3 years... maths is hard.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Is it worth it though? And I knew it was over 3 years. Guess I should have been exact and said 43.5.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's dead-last in the league in terms of QBs not on their rookie contract. It isn't middling QB money, it is poor starting QB money

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

There is a list where you can see what QBs were getting per year.

That was exactly my point Beefy. Its in line with where he would rank.