User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rajah's Top 20 Movies of the 90s (Drama)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajah's Top 20 Movies of the 90s (Drama)

A panel of 15 Rajah voters have submitted lists of their top dramatic (a/k/a non-comedic) movies of the 1990s. I used a simple point system to tally the votes (20 points for 1st, 1 point for 20th). Every film in the Top 20 received at least 4 votes. Here are the results.

The Panel
    Percussion
    Nash Diesel
    Simmo Fortyone
    Bagel
    Melly
    Ringo
    Jarrod1983
    3puppies
    Horatio
    Romford Pele
    Gary J
    Bert
    Donald
    Chris
    Fro

The Top 20 90s Movies (Drama) According to Rajah
    1. The Shawshank Redemption
    2. The Green Mile
    3. Pulp Fiction
    4. Forrest Gump
    5. Good Will Hunting
    6. Schindler's List
    7. The Silence of the Lambs
    8. Goodfellas
    9. Fight Club
    10. The Matrix
    11. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    12. Seven
    13. The Truman Show
    14. American History X
    15. The Lion King
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day
    Last edited by Fro; September 17th, 2020 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Independence Day

Synopsis: The film focuses on disparate groups of people who converge in the Nevada desert in the aftermath of a worldwide attack by an extraterrestrial race of unknown origin. With the other people of the world, they launch an all-out counterattack on July 4—Independence Day in the United States.

Released: July 3, 1996
    Starring: Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman
    Directed by: Roland Emmerich
    Written by: Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich
    Box office: $817 million

Votes received: 4
    Ranked highest by: Chris (7th)

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    God I love that movie.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Independence Day is one of my favourite movies. Incredible visuals for the time, fantastic cast, perfect balance between sci-fi, disaster and comedy genres, memorable one-liners and a great score. The last half hour is up there with the best blockbuster finales. It’s one of the last big disaster films to treat the destruction like an art form - nowadays cities and whole planets are wiped out in a few seconds and it has little impact if the CGI isn’t up to scratch.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I love it too. I owned it on VHS back in the day. It holds up pretty well I'd say.

The Pullman speech at the end still gives me chills. And Will Smith was the epitome of cool at the time. Bad Boys - ID4 - Men in Black - Enemy of the State was a hell of a four year run.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I can certainly appreciate what a colossal deal this movie was at the time, but looking back it just doesn't quite hold up enough for me. And while I don't expect the cgi to stand the test of time, which it doesn't really need to given just how groundbreaking it was then, it's more the zanyness of it all.

Bit a product of the time and just the nature of a summer mega block buster, and this isn't to look back on it all terribly - I remember the film generally fondly - just doesn't quite do it as a top 20 of the entire decade. Just enough better to choose from on the whole is all.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww naw I forgot.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    Aww naw I forgot.
    not too late for 90s comedies, send me your top 20

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I can certainly appreciate what a colossal deal this movie was at the time, but looking back it just doesn't quite hold up enough for me. And while I don't expect the cgi to stand the test of time, which it doesn't really need to given just how groundbreaking it was then, it's more the zanyness of it all.

Bit a product of the time and just the nature of a summer mega block buster, and this isn't to look back on it all terribly - I remember the film generally fondly - just doesn't quite do it as a top 20 of the entire decade. Just enough better to choose from on the whole is all.
    This sums up my feelings on it too.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the category was called drama, I couldn't include an action / blockbuster film like this on my list. I enjoyed this a lot at the time it came out, and I recently watched it again with my daughters. I think it has held up well, and I tentatively have it on my comedy list.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Since the category was called drama, I couldn't include an action / blockbuster film like this on my list. I enjoyed this a lot at the time it came out, and I recently watched it again with my daughters. I think it has held up well, and I tentatively have it on my comedy list.
    Yea, I think some people were thrown by the drama categorization. My intent in splitting it between drama and comedy was not to exclude action/adventure/sci-fi flicks entirely from the rankings. Those should go with the dramas in the same way that Black Panther was in the Best Drama category at the Golden Globes. That is the system I'm going for - not 5 different categories - just the two. Comedy and non-comedy I suppose is the more accurate phrasing to avoid confusion. I just think comedies deserve their own list so Half Baked isn't buried in a list with Schindler's List and whatnot.

In any event, because some people took it the way you did, action/sci-fi flicks might be somewhat underrated in the rankings. But there are still a few of them that ranked well.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reservoir Dogs

Synopsis: When a simple jewelry heist goes horribly wrong, the surviving criminals begin to suspect that one of them is a police informant.

Released: October 9, 1992
    Starring: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi, Michael Madsen
    Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
    Written by: Quentin Tarantino
    Box office: $2.8 million

Ranked highest by: Fro (3rd)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Had this 11 I believe. Pageturning heist film, just so much cool raw Tarantino fun.

Stuck in the middle with you..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Reservoir Dogs over Pulp Fiction but they're both in my top 10 of the 90s. Maybe I overrate RD somewhat but I feel the compact, tight story is more fulfilling than Pulp's collage of intersecting tales. It's such a brilliant heist movie without showing a second of the actual heist.

Reservoir Dogs in 92 was followed by Clerks in 94. Different genres, but very similar and linked films to me. What a pair of indy films that was, with one inspiring the next.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reservoir Dogs was actually a small studio movie. It was just done cheaply. But Quentin was already a thing in Hollywood by then.

Linklater's Slacker was Smith's inspiration to make 'Clerks'.
    Last edited by _me; August 15th, 2020 at 8:43 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Reservoir Dogs was actually a small studio movie. It was just done cheaply. But Quentin was already a thing in Hollywood by then.

Linklater's Slacker was Smith's inspiration to make 'Clerks'.
    Slacker did inspire him to go to film school but he said in a reddit AMA that the Like a Virgin scene in Reservoir Dogs was life changing for him because it made him realize he could talk about other movies in his movies (and inspired him to write the Star Wars contractor conversation into Clerks).

I dunno about it being an indie film or not I just know Wikipedia calls it one and Empire ranked it as the second best indie film of all time (after Mean Streets). So it seems like it was? I always thought it was.

The connection between the two films isn’t that important mind you but they are two of my favorite filmmakers and I look upon those films similarly in how it launched their careers. RD was less indie in that it had a higher budget and some sort of financing for sure.
    Last edited by Fro; August 15th, 2020 at 9:54 AM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Independence Day was great when it came out so it made my list but I doubt it would hold up if I watched it today.

Reservoir Dogs is a movie I keep meaning to watch but haven't gotten around to yet. Same with a lot of heist/gangster films. I've seen all of The Sopranos at least.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    ...I have't seen either of those

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Slacker did inspire him to go to film school but he said in a reddit AMA that the Like a Virgin scene in Reservoir Dogs was life changing for him because it made him realize he could talk about other movies in his movies (and inspired him to write the Star Wars contractor conversation into Clerks).

I dunno about it being an indie film or not I just know Wikipedia calls it one and Empire ranked it as the second best indie film of all time (after Mean Streets). So it seems like it was? I always thought it was.

The connection between the two films isn’t that important mind you but they are two of my favorite filmmakers and I look upon those films similarly in how it launched their careers. RD was less indie in that it had a higher budget and some sort of financing for sure.
    I thought he said it was the Top Gun scene in "Sleep With Me" but yes, QT was a huge inspiration to Kevin to mix pop culture into his work. Maybe that was someone else who said the TG scene.

Good catch about Kevin and film school and 'Slacker'. I remembered him mentioning that was actually made him do it and not just dream about it. How it was actually possible to make a movie for $25K. But it made him go to Vancouver Film School; not actually make the movie. Then he met Mosier and the rest is history as they say.

I think of RD as starting as an "Indy" but by the time it was actually getting made, it had moved up a level. They got established actors; they had casting sessions in multiple cities; Keitel was an EP and had a budget of over $1M. But it started with much, much smaller plans for sure.
    Last edited by _me; August 15th, 2020 at 2:49 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    ...I have't seen either of those
    ID4 is a great popcorn movie. Giant plot holes and tons of "Yada, yada"-over details but it is an enjoyable movie for sure. The mid 90s had tons of those movies.
    RD is a dark movie about bad people doing bad things. But it is very good if you like the more modern anti-hero trend (Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc).

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I got in a bit of trouble when I was in 8th grade. I went to a small Catholic school and during lunch the older, more responsible, kids would watch younger grades in their classrooms so the teachers could eat their and get a break. My friend Mark and I were watching maybe 2nd grade and I for some reason had Independence Day with me on VHS. Every room had TV/VCR hookup so I loaded that bad boy in. We watched some of the beginning and lunch was over, shut it off, no problems. Teacher saw what it was so didn't think much of it. Next day, Jarrod's in the principal's office because I scared some little girl. Wasn't my intention but I still think of that when ID4 comes up.

Sequel not so good. Killing Smith off offscreen was some bullshit.

I've seen bits and pieces of Reservoir Dogs but never one full showing. Seems good enough, some movies just slip through fingers.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat

Synopsis: A group of professional bank robbers start to feel the heat from police when they unknowingly leave a clue at their latest heist.

Released: December 15, 1995
    Starring: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer
    Directed by: Michael Mann
    Written by: Michael Mann
    Box office: $187 million

Ranked highest by: Romford Pele (2nd)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very overrated…Never been a fan

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Love this flick.

As a young film fan growing up in the 90's there was nothing I wanted more than a DeNiro/Pacino showdown, and damn did this deliver.

The tension, the sophisticated style of the heists, the detailed and worthwhile relationships of the characters throughout every single single turn, the dialogue, and damn, damn that finale..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Another movie I haven't seen but mean to eventually purely because of the acclaim surrounding it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apollo 13

Synopsis: NASA must devise a strategy to return Apollo 13 to Earth safely after the spacecraft undergoes massive internal damage putting the lives of the three astronauts on board in jeopardy.

Released: June 30, 1995
    Starring: Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Ed Harris, Gary Sinise
    Directed by: Ron Howard
    Written by: William Broyles Jr., Al Reinert
    Box office: $355 million

Ranked highest by: 3puppies (4th)

------

Summary:
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat - Good flick, I had it 19th on my drama list so it ended up ranking about where I placed it. I wouldn't say I love it, nor do I find it the most compelling of heist movies, but it's really solid.

Apollo 13 - I adore this movie and had it 8th. It's the best NASA movie ever for me, easily. Wonderful cast, wonderful writing and directing. I can't really think of anything wrong with it and I enjoy re-watching it every few years. A very timeless/classic movie to me.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about Apollo. Top 20 for sure. Part the epic Tom Hanks 90s run. Ron Howard makes very watchable movies; they are not the most complicated usually, but they keep your interest and make you care.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat

Synopsis: A group of professional bank robbers start to feel the heat from police when they unknowingly leave a clue at their latest heist.

Released: December 15, 1995
    Starring: Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer
    Directed by: Michael Mann
    Written by: Michael Mann
    Box office: $187 million

Ranked highest by: Romford Pele (2nd)
    Amazing film. The acting, the soundtrack, the cinematography

If anything, this film is underrated.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I also forgot about Apollo 13. I'm sure that's one I watched and liked when I was younger with my parents. I'd like to re-watch it sometime.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    One thing I will say about heat is you notice the difference actors make. Just watch the Pacino / DeNiro scene after you watch the same scene in L.A takedown with the same dialogue.

I do agree its overrated though.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apollo 13 is excellent. I enjoy films about a smart group of people working through a problem. Ron Howard does a great job of making the various calamities and setbacks tense and the technical details understandable. Hanks delivers as always and Ed Harris is pitch perfect in the scenes at Mission Control.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Apollo 13 is excellent. I enjoy films about a smart group of people working through a problem. Ron Howard does a great job of making the various calamities and setbacks tense and the technical details understandable. Hanks delivers as always and Ed Harris is pitch perfect in the scenes at Mission Control.
    Ed Harris was so great and could have won the Oscar for that role almost any other year; if he wasn't up against Spacey in 'Usual Suspects' in 96. But Spacey was the correct choice.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saving Private Ryan

Synopsis: Following the Normandy Landings, a group of U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to retrieve a paratrooper whose brothers have been killed in action.

Released: July 24, 1998
    Starring: Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore
    Directed by: Steven Spielberg
    Written by: Robert Rodat
    Box office: $482 million

Votes received: 6
    Ranked highest by: 3puppies (5th)

Summary:
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    This thing's shaping up wonderfully..

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saving Private Ryan should have been in the Top 10 just for the first 30 mins alone. I actually saw that in the theatre. Might be the single most intense "in person" thing I ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    This thing's shaping up wonderfully..
    Agree. Solid choices so far.
    Last edited by _me; August 17th, 2020 at 2:49 PM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Missed the memo about the Drama list being anything but comedy, as I surely would have thrown in a couple of action films and a couple of horror films, but no bother.

I've seen all of the films listed so far, but only had Saving Private Ryan on my list.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever seen Shakespeare in Love but it winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan is just another reason to hate Harvey Weinstein.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I still need to see Saving Private Ryan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    We just reviewed Apollo 13 on my podcast a couple of months back. I forgot how much I liked that.

Saving Private Ryan - I appreciate on a mental level that it is an excellent film. Something about it just didn't fully click for me. I rate it highly but if I had submitted a list, it wouldn't have been close to making it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Lion King

Synopsis: Lion prince Simba and his father are targeted by his bitter uncle, who wants to ascend the throne himself.

Released: June 24, 1994
    Starring: Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Matthew Broderick, James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons
    Directed by: Roger Allers, Rob Minkoff
    Written by: Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts, Linda Woolverton
    Box office: $968 million

Ranked highest by: Bert (3rd)

Summary
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't have even put it in a Top 100…

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jeremy Irons still can demand attention as Scar if you've seen this once, twice or a hundred times. For me, Be Prepared is right up there with Unfortunate Souls from The Little Mermaid as some of the best dam music from a Disney film.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't have any desire to watch it again in my 30s, and it wasn't in my top 20, The Lion King was a staple of my childhood and another film that my family owned on VHS. It's my favorite animated Disney movie not counting Pixar.

If I had gone by the true Golden Globes standard, it would be in with the comedies (they split it by Drama vs Musical/Comedy). But it is indeed a musical drama, with some comedy mixed in. A classic royal power struggle set in the animal kingdom. And so well done. In my view, it is the pinnacle of the Disney Renaissance.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, got to love the randomness thrown up here.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see it as random. I think Lion King would be an easy/expected pick on any best-of-the-90s list despite being a children's movie. It was massively popular, acclaimed and enduring (especially with the broadway show). And given the demographics of this forum, we were mostly of the right age to have been fans of it when it came out.

Now maybe it's an odd fit given the title of the list being "best drama" but that's just semantics and I've stated why I think it rightfully belongs in this category rather than the comedy category. It's more drama than comedy.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Give Scar his due people.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I think it's likely if I had put in a list that this would have been on mine.

Top 20 villains of all time? Scar makes that list easily.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lion King wasn't on my list but I understand why it would be on some. Scar is the man either way.

Top 20 Movie Heels has been a idea floating in my brain since I put my lists in here. I was looking at my lists and thinking there are some great villains here!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Lion King as on my list,a fantastic film.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think watching the shitty live action one recently (even though I love Donald Glover) possibly made me rate it higher than I would otherwise.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American History X

Synopsis: A former neo-nazi skinhead tries to prevent his younger brother from going down the same wrong path that he did.

Released: October 30, 1998
    Starring: Edward Norton, Edward Furlong
    Directed by: Tony Kaye
    Written by: David McKenna
    Box office: $23 million

Votes received: 5
    Ranked highest by: Nash Diesel, Romford Pele, Bert (4th)

Summary
    15. The Lion King
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I think watching the shitty live action one recently (even though I love Donald Glover) possibly made me rate it higher than I would otherwise.
    I still haven't seen it. Add Beauty and The Beast and Aladdin to that. I won't watch Little Mermaid either.

I will say that live action Mulan looks pretty good though. Disney might get me there.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    AHX is such a great movie. Norton is awesome.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen American History X in a while (maybe 10 years). I remember it being intense but good. It didn't make my list. I love Edward Norton though.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fucking film. Ed Norton's greatest performance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    What a fucking film. Ed Norton's greatest performance.
    I liked it but don't know if I could put it ahead of Fight Club or 25th hour as far as individual performances go.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they are both great performances too. Ed Furlong is also great in it. Its an amazing film, but fuck me is it depressing in the end.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first date my ex wife and I went on back when I was 17 was seeing this movie. There weren't many people at the theater and I vividly remember an old man who had to have been in his late 70's early 80's walking out about 20 minutes into it.

It's a great movie, one that I regret not owning yet. IMHO, this is the type of movie that everyone should see. I'm not saying a 9 year old kid but if you're older than 14 you should see this.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Strange that I've seen this one, as I hate America and history. Maybe I really like the letter X.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The first date my ex wife and I went on back when I was 17 was seeing this movie. There weren't many people at the theater and I vividly remember an old man who had to have been in his late 70's early 80's walking out about 20 minutes into it.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hahaha. Only gets better if Nash had a "Newman" rival who happened to be watching and then tattled to his parents.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. To be honest, I'd have to go back and see what movies were in the theater at the time because yeah it does seem a little rugged for a first date. That's in hindsight though. I was a fan of like 5 actors in that movie right off the top.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ethan Suplee also very great in this movie. Between this and Mallrats guy shows his range. Underrated actor.

Balk was also very good.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never got the hype for this movie at all. Norton is amazing; but he is amazing is basically everything. But I found the story uninteresting.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid top 20 entry in my "saw it once, didn't hate it but will never willingly watch it ever again" list

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really changed my view on Alan Matthews

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Truman Show

Synopsis: An insurance salesman discovers his whole life is actually a reality TV show.

Released: June 5, 1998
    Starring: Jim Carrey, Laura Linney, Ed Harris
    Directed by: Peter Weir
    Written by: Andrew Niccol
    Box office: $264 million

Votes received: 5
    Ranked highest by: Melly (1st)

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed the Truman Show, and I think it is Jim Carrey's best work, but I can't see it rated higher than Apollo 13 or Saving Private Ryan. @Melly, you had it #1 - really? Please explain.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Truman Show is awesome. I remember the hype/doubt surrounding the film, if Carrey could deliver more than just slapstick. He knocked it out of the park. I even went and saw it by myself in theaters because nobody in my life thought Carrey could deliver. I didn't have it on my list which is a over sight on my part.

When he finally escapes at the end and everyone who watches, like the guy in the tub, is celebrating made my arm hair stand up. Great flick.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I enjoyed the Truman Show, and I think it is Jim Carrey's best work, but I can't see it rated higher than Apollo 13 or Saving Private Ryan. @Melly, you had it #1 - really? Please explain.
    Personally I had Truman below Apollo 13 but above Saving Private Ryan. SPR is a great war movie and it took a ton of work and the scope is huge (especially with the opening scene) and it powerfully shows the hardships of war and all that good stuff... but I have watched and enjoyed The Truman Show about 7 times more than I've ever watched SPR. Now granted just because the lighter movie is more rewatchable than the war movie doesn't necessarily make it better, but in this case I prefer Truman Show pretty easily.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I had it 19th on my list, but could absolutely see how this film would just hit harder for someone than the more conventionally highly rated films. It was just such a clever and thoughtful and emotional story that was knocked out of the park by Carrey, Linney, and Harris. I got zero issue with it being anyone's number 1 of the decade.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Well, I did have this as #1 on my Comedy list before being told that it qualified as a drama.

This made me a believer in the acting ability of Jim Carrey... and I say that as a Canadian.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It really is one of those beautiful mixes of drama and comedy.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed. Not that it matters but just as a piece of trivia, it was nominated for Best Picture (Drama) at the Golden Globes that year, losing to Saving Private Ryan. Jim Carrey won for Best Lead Actor in a Drama. Ed Harris won for Best Supporting Actor (a category in which they combine the dramatic and comedic entries).

It did not win any Oscars.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Indeed. Not that it matters but just as a piece of trivia, it was nominated for Best Picture (Drama) at the Golden Globes that year, losing to Saving Private Ryan. Jim Carrey won for Best Lead Actor in a Drama. Ed Harris won for Best Supporting Actor (a category in which they combine the dramatic and comedic entries).

Wasn't challenging in the slightest but that's a very interesting bit of information. I wonder if they put it as a drama to legitimise it's Oscar case.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

I remember thinking that I really hope Carrey would win at the Globes and then when he got snubbed by the Oscars was when I pretty much decided it was a Hollywood popularity contest. I thought Carrey deserved a nomination and I thought Harris deserved a Oscar win.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven

Synopsis: Two detectives, a rookie and a veteran, hunt a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his motives.

Released: September 22, 1995
    Starring: Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, Gwyneth Paltrow
    Directed by: David Fincher
    Written by: Andrew Kevin Walker
    Box office: $327 million

Ranked highest by: Gary J (3rd)

Summary
    13. The Truman Show
    14. American History X
    15. The Lion King
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

Last edited by Fro; August 21st, 2020 at 11:08 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we are getting back on track…

This might be #1 on my list of movies I want to rewatch. But it is so dark and depressing, I am never in the right mood. Especially this year.

Also, you might want to choose a different gif. That is kind of a big scene if you haven't seen it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped the gif. Fair point

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Synopsis: A cyborg, identical to the one who failed to kill Sarah Connor, must now protect her teenage son, John Connor, from a more advanced and powerful cyborg.

Released: July 3, 1991
    Starring: Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick
    Directed by: James Cameron
    Written by: James Cameron, William Wisher
    Box office: $520 million

Ranked highest by: Chris (2nd)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Solid film. I'd have had it high if I've stumbled upon this in time.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was busy yesterday so on Seven, is Freemanone of the greatest actors ever? His voice and mannerisms make anything he's in great. Guy can tell a story.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    T2. This movie was so bad ass to 8-9 me. I vividly remembering being stuck to the living room for the entire flick. We rented the original soon after and I thought that was just as good. I did prefer Arnold as a face though until I got older and figured out how great he was as a heel in the original.

I was really hoping the new flick would kick start something for this franchise but it's obvious to everyone except greedy Hollywood execs that Terminator as a series is dead in the water. T2 is so fondly looked at that I think people are always going to try to squeeze some juice out of the Terminator franchise.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    I was busy yesterday so on Seven, is Freemanone of the greatest actors ever? His voice and mannerisms make anything he's in great. Guy can tell a story.
    Many several actors I'd put before him, but he's damn sure on the list somewhere. He got started at a later age so we didn't get to see him display a real range that younger actors may, and so he's been kinda typecast as the mature steady-hand of his films. But he's also a sure bet to deliver and then some in those roles. Unforgiven, Shawshank, Million Dollar Baby, Seven, Driving Miss Daisy, Glory.. lots and lots of memorable performances.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda crazy that after like 4 Terminator relaunches, T2 is still the best one by far.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is a great second star, but not a headliner. But if he is the 2nd lead with someone else, you got a great shot at making something really good.

Doesn't quite have the charm to carry a movie but you always care about his characters.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T2. This movie was so bad ass to 8-9 me. I vividly remembering being stuck to the living room for the entire flick. We rented the original soon after and I thought that was just as good. I did prefer Arnold as a face though until I got older and figured out how great he was as a heel in the original.
    Yea I remember this movie being THE SHIT in the 90s. From Arnold's one liners to all of the badass action sequences and special effects (T-1000 walking through the prison bars and also clinging onto the back of the car come to mind), this movie was just so memorable. And yea Arnold in T1 is one of the greatest and scariest villains ever. T2 is scary too but T1 was really a sci-fi horror movie. He had that Michael Myers vibe.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yea I remember this movie being THE SHIT in the 90s. From Arnold's one liners to all of the badass action sequences and special effects (T-1000 walking through the prison bars and also clinging onto the back of the car come to mind), this movie was just so memorable. And yea Arnold in T1 is one of the greatest and scariest villains ever. T2 is scary too but T1 was really a sci-fi horror movie. He had that Michael Myers vibe.
    Another effect I love was when he slays the step dad drinking milk out of the carton with that knife arm. That was nuts!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocked to see T2 outside the top 10.

Arnie rescuing John at the mall and the ensuing canal chase are iconic. The shotgun spin cock remains utterly badass.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah and let's give Budnick from Salute Your Shorts his due. Couldn't have got a better trouble maker in a best friend with that red mullet. Kid was bad ass. Remember that Shorts episode with the water balloon fight or when they faked being sick to get all the ice cream? Shit made me want to go to camp but my parents never sent me to one.

Last edited by Jarrod1983; August 22nd, 2020 at 5:28 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Shocked to see T2 outside the top 10.

Arnie rescuing John at the mall and the ensuing canal chase are iconic. The shotgun spin cock remains utterly badass.
    I would bet it is because not everyone included action movies since it is universally liked still.

Fro, any chance we can peak behind the votes a little for this one. Did it have some votes in the 10-20 range or was it left off altogether?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I had it 13. Always enjoyed the snot out of it, truly a classic, just 12 I like better.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would have put it on my list but I didnt see drama just meant non comedies until later.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Seems like there were more than just a couple lists affected by the drama/comedy/non-comedy thing.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for the top 10. To recap:

12. Seven
    13. The Truman Show
    14. American History X
    15. The Lion King
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    I would bet it is because not everyone included action movies since it is universally liked still.

Fro, any chance we can peak behind the votes a little for this one. Did it have some votes in the 10-20 range or was it left off altogether?
    6 out of 15 voters included T2. 3 of those had it in their top 10.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Matrix

Synopsis: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

Released: March 31, 1999
    Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving
    Directed by: The Wachowskis
    Written by: The Wachowskis
    Box office: $465 million

Ranked highest by: Chris, Percussion (6th)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for the top 10. To recap:

12. Seven
    13. The Truman Show
    14. American History X
    15. The Lion King
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. Apollo 13
    18. Heat
    19. Reservoir Dogs
    20. Independence Day

6 out of 15 voters included T2. 3 of those had it in their top 10.
    Thanks. Yeah, that feels like a few more would have had it somewhere at least.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Matrix

Synopsis: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

Released: March 31, 1999
    Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving
    Directed by: The Wachowskis
    Written by: The Wachowskis
    Box office: $465 million

Ranked highest by: Chris, Percussion (6th)
    Is it the sequels (really just the last one) that ruined this? Or was it just too "late nineties" and got dated fast? This hasn't held up nearly as well as I expected at the time. But still an excellent film.