Thread: Dat Comic Book Thread

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dat Comic Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    There should really be an "Official Comic Book Thread" in these parts. There aren't a ton of comic fans here and we might as well have one stop for stuff like this.
    And the ball is rolling...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nice. We should try and keep this rolling on a regular basis so it doesn't wind up like the other unwieldy comic book threads. Maybe even purge some of them.

Anyone read the third issue of Batman and Robin? Professor Pyg is a great new villain. He's truly creepy. They're really towing the darkness line with that character.

Also, does anyone read (or at least know of) Garth Ennis' Preacher? It's about a preacher from Texas who loses faith and gets inhabited by a rogue spirit that's the product of demon and angel sex. That description doesn't even remotely do the series justice. I recommend it to anyone. Even my casually religious friends love it and it's the most blasphemous thing ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could afford to buy comics still. Luckily my local libraries have a pretty up to date collection and they're always adding new trades (and classics too) to it.

I picked up Castle Waiting the other day and read it in one sitting. I'd seen it sitting at the library a few times and never bothered, but there wasn't much I hadn't already read so I grabbed it. Really nice stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Also, does anyone read (or at least know of) Garth Ennis' Preacher? It's about a preacher from Texas who loses faith and gets inhabited by a rogue spirit that's the product of demon and angel sex. That description doesn't even remotely do the series justice. I recommend it to anyone. Even my casually religious friends love it and it's the most blasphemous thing ever.
    Yeah, Preacher rules. I've given it to a few non-comic readers and they love it too and usually aske me for other stuff to read after finishing it all.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I can pretty much find any comic online and I've been trying to get into reading X-Men, but there's just so many sagas and universes I'm unsure where to begin. I started reading Ultimate X-Men and it was alright but not sure it's what i'm looking for. Has anyone read any of them to give me an idea of what's good and what's not?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I read Preacher out of order and it's still fantastic. I bought a bunch of the trade paperbacks and I always GET IT. You know, it just doesn't matter; the character work is there, the stories are always great. Any comic book reader can connect on some level. It's the best series that I have ever read, without a doubt. It hits on so many levels. The fact that Garth Ennis is Irish and he completely gets the Texas and modern western feel down to a T is amazing. What an incredible bad ass.

Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) is apparently going to direct the film adaptation with John August scripting. Both guys are seriously talented. I hope they can get it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Iceman View Post
    I can pretty much find any comic online and I've been trying to get into reading X-Men, but there's just so many sagas and universes I'm unsure where to begin. I started reading Ultimate X-Men and it was alright but not sure it's what i'm looking for. Has anyone read any of them to give me an idea of what's good and what's not?
    For some good recent X-Men reading check out Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

Who watches the... Dodgy Browne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the X-men universe is a bit of a mess.
    I try to check via amazon and reviews what x-men tpb's to get.

I've been reading comics since 2002 and these are some of my favourite tales/writers:

Spider-man (Straczynski) I liked it until the Civil War. Then I kinda lost interest and was completely lost once Brand New Day rolled in. But the stories he wrote were fun, original and had a great comic look.

Y: the last man.
    EPIC! Brian K. Vaughan´s tale of the last man on earth filled with women is just awesome.
    One of the few tales where the last few issues really got me.

Daredevil (Brian Michael Bendis)
    Legenday run on Daredevil, this was when Bendis still was awesome.

Runaways, again by Vaughan.
    The Vaughan issues are fun, innovative and just great story telling. The Whedon tale was pretty cool, but when both writers left I left too.

Exiles.
    It's canceled now, but the original run was pretty cool.
    I have the first 16 tpb's (or so), I got of when Claremont took over.
    Blink and Morph are cool and fun characters.

I also like Mark Millar's Ultimates. Cool "Hollywood" version of Avengers.

Well I got more, but that's my 2 cents.
    Pretty standard stuff, but I loved it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy Browne View Post

Y: the last man.
    EPIC! Brian K. Vaughan´s tale of the last man on earth filled with women is just awesome.
    One of the few tales where the last few issues really got me.
    I love Y. I cannot overstate enough how this series was perfect in every way, shape or form. It had something for everyone - action, comedy, romance, there were very intriguing concepts... just all around brilliance. Any time I can get the first trade and get a friend who showed no interest in comics, get them to read the first trade, and create a Vertigo gobbling monstrosity out of said friend - that's a success story in my book.

Also, love me some Fables.

I'm a DC nerd, so I also am digging the whole Green Lantern/Blackest Night thing right now. And basically most stuff Geoff Johns is writing. BN and the few tie-ins are the only things I'm consecutively picking up right now, but trades are beautiful things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spider-Girl: It's very old-school, but still gets the job done better than a lot of "modern" titles. It's my favourate Spidey title of the bunch. Mayday Parker lives and breaths as her own character. Characters young and old continue to grow and evolve, and even Roderick Kingsley shows up. It's an underrated goldmine for anyone sick and tired of Marvel screwing up Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Remarkably, Bendis has a questionable status quoe going on in the second volume, and I'm NOT pissed off by it (granted, there's a lingering mystery afoot). As a whole, it's always been the title where he's been at his best (besides Daredevil). Maybe it's because he has to aim at younger readers or is writing a more iconic character that he manages to restrain himself from doing much dorkier things.

X-Men Forever: This is the most motivated Claremont's been in a long time, as Marvel have given him a title that allows him to do whatever he wants outside of continuity. This has led thus far to Wolverine's death, Scott being cockblocked by a Wolvie-crushing Jean, THE definitive origin for Sabretooth, Magneto staying dead after "Rubicon", Storm revealed as an imposter, and a much better explanation for the dwindling mutant population than Wanda throwing a temper tantrum. If you're bored of the X-Men titles currently rehashing the same old "Days of Future Past" shit, read this.

Captain Americ: Brubaker's crafted a more relevant and glued together mythology for Rogers than any before and likely after ever will. You can read the title now without feeling the man's out of place, you can take pride in that he remembers, even represents, a conflicted era, but also a simpler time in a more cynical and heartless world of "heroes".

I havent read The Avengers for years (for one, I think their portrayed too much as losers, especially during the 1980s and currently as Bendis has gone batshit insane), but I recommend picking up Englehart's Ultron one-shot which redeemed certain characters and tied up loose ends in a very poignant and emotional manner. Definatly the last good Avengers story I've read.
    Last edited by Zarius; September 29th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If anyone was wondering a good site to download comics besides most of it's files being hosted on Rapidshare.com and not having Marvel comics (I believe they were asked to remove them) http://mycomicpost.com/ is good. http://comicsmangalibrary.blogspot.com/ is also good and does have marvel comics. (just found this)

They also have random shit I've never heard of before:

Also you can use the conventional method and download torrents.

After downloading the .cbr you can either rename it to .rar and extract the .jpg's or just load the .cbr using this program.
    Last edited by Bert; September 29th, 2009 at 1:59 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Man Logan
    Awesome stuff here. I thought this ended perfectly. The lone hero gallops away into the sunset with his 'sidekick' and doesn't look back. Millar wrote this entire tale beautifully, and Steve-o's art was fuckin fantastic. I thought Banner's characterization was odd, in a good way, him spawning an entire race of little hulks because of She Hulk was a nice touch of need-to-know. All in all, a must read for any comic fan today.
    10/10

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished Preacher for the third or fourth time a month or so ago. It was just as good as the first time, maybe even better, since Jesse's stay in Salvation didn't feel as out of place in the story as it did the first time. Better than anything Alan Moore ever did, for my money. Maybe not as revolutionary so far as what it did for the medium, but it did a better job of keeping me glued to the page.

Scott McCloud's Zot! is another one I just finished. Really, really touching. It's basically a story that highlights the glaring disparities between the world of comic book heroes and the one we live in. I think it won a couple of Eisner awards.

Whoever mentioned that Brian Michael Bendis' best work was on Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil was spot on.

I'm really interested in picking up the current Batman run with Dick Grayson under the cowl. I've been waiting a long time for Dick to get a solid run as Batman, rather than a one-shot or 2/3-part story. I might just wait for it to come out in trade paperback form, though.

Excellent thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Garth Ennis' work with The Punisher and Preacher.
    Good stuff.
    Especially like Punsiher MAX series.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punisher MAX 1 is still one of my favorite single issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Angel: After the Fall. Much tighter than the mess that's the eighth season of Buffy, of course, it has a shorter number. The ending's a real gut-wrencher, though the art muddies it a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first issue of The Clone Saga was...incredible.

A really fun story. Proper Spider-Man too. It's unfortunate that that is so frickin' rare to find these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up X-Men Forever Issue 10. Scott provides the narration for this one as he comes to terms with recent events, forgives Jean for the psychic affair she had with Logan, and visits his son, who's been living with his grandparents.

From what I can tell, yes, Cable's still running around in this continuity...but Claremont never intended Nathan to BE Cabel's future self, so be prepared for some eye-openers in the future. I also digged that Clarmeont deliberatly trolled the Black Panther/Storm couple.

He also recently announced a return to New Mutants in 2010, picking up from his final two issues

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a huge Spawn fan, so here is my Spawn 195 review.

Whilce Portacio left as Spawn's artist nearly 75% of the way through issue 195, and this left Todd Mcfarlane without an artist to finish the job. Even though Todd was to make his triumphant return for Spawn 200, he decided to finish it himself.

Spawn has been terribly watered down for years. Armageddon has already happened, and Todd (who is also writing the book again) has been putting out one of the most boring stories I have ever read in a very long time. Al Simmons committed suicide, and now our new Spawn (Jim Downing) is simply a top notch failure. I don't understand why he chose this route, but ehh.

Oh yeah. I'm reviewing 195. The story has finally begun to pick up, after 10 issues of little to nothing, and Todd's artwork is - fine. He's considered a legend on one end and a complete dickhead on the other. And both sides have complete merit. The way Todd handles artwork is frustrating. The guy doesn't even do pencils anymore - he uses a computer tablet. And it is in plain sight that Mcfarlane is cutting corners, and that's unsettling for any Image fan.

(PS. Whilce Portacio's artwork in this issue was actually done very well. Got tons of respect for the guy, even though most of his work is a smidge below average)

But seriously, his 'pencils' still kick ass. As for the colorist, Jin Han needs to go. Everything is tinted to an ugly beige/brown, even Spawn himself.

Bottom line, Spawn 195 is a 7/10 for me, and I would try and tell you guys how good this book is, but it's far from what it used to be. With all this being said, I'm still a hardcore Spawn fan.

Wait until Spawn 200 to jump on. Hopefully, Todd allows somebody else to write the book, and allows GREG CAPULLO to make his long awaited return to monthly artist.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright so I'm a massive comic nerd. I basically read everything that's current and mainstream these days, either buying them or torrenting them, which is odd because I'm also really busy during the day...

..so here's the best of what I stay up late in the night to read.

Secret Six

Basically a comic that came out of Villains United in 2005. It starred six B-Grade Villains who decided not to be like the rest of all the Villains who were starting their own version of the Justice League (featuring Luthor and all that) and as a result have had to fend for themselves against hero and villain alike. It's just a nice twist on superheroics, some fantastic art and brilliant writing. I'm not very good at writing synopsis' but its the book I look forward to the most.

New Avengers/Dark Avengers/Mighty Avengers

I'm a sucker for team books. I've always liked Marvel a bit better than DC and these books are the shining example of why. They're not so much packed with blockbuster action as they are with focusing on characters, character development and relationship dynamics between characters. Characters like Captain America and Wolverine are featured, but the real beauty in books like this are the other members of the team that seamlessly fit in, wouldn't normally get their own solo book, but have enough development here to keep you happy (Luke Cage for example)..

Amazing Spider-Man / Deadpool

They're not just interesting characters, but they're hilarious. These are both comics where you're not going to get ground-breaking stories, however there most certainly is a good load of smiles and laughs that I get from checking this stuff out

To be continued. It's scorching in my room.

In the meantime, is anyone else reading anything currently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might start picking up Action Comics when New Krypton is over, I've hated the direction of the Superman titles for a while, but Guggenhiem's interview assured me it's going to be more down to Earth. It's also going to focus more on a "Clark Kent can be a badass too" motif that surfaced in the 1970s and the Byrne era

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Haven't been into comics in YEARS due to all this multi-univerese what's real and what's not bullshit, but I've recently taken an interest in a superhero I've never liked, The Green Lantern. Luckily, my boy Kev here is going to be hooking me up with some downloads to GL comics, so I'll report back with my opinions later.

Just a question for my fellow geeks, but do any of you collect action figures? I figure these two go hand in hand, so why not ask? Anyway, I've been picking up tons of DC Universe Classics figures and am thoroughly impressed. They're probably the best looking comic book superhero figures i've ever seen, that aren't over 9,000 dollars or essentially a statue. Another thing I like about this line has to be all of the lesser-known heroes who get figures. I'd never really known anything about cats like Killer Moth or Mr. Miracle, but picking up their figures led to a greater intrigue and I'm really feeling these characters. If you've never seen them, keep an out, they'll impress you.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the lesser used heroes in the DCU. The titles like Suicide Squad, Secret Six and JSA have always been the near of my list of favorites. Same with Geoff Johns written comics because he can revamp just about anyone (Sorry Rainbow Raider)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just finished reading GL: Rebirth. Interesting series, but a bit confusing. I mean, I understood it well enough since I knew the story of parallax and have read up on each of the Earth GL's, but if this was someone's first time picking up a Lantern comic they'd probably be confused to all shit. Other than that, pretty good read, some great artwork. Where should I go from here in my GL reading?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

Secret Six

Basically a comic that came out of Villains United in 2005. It starred six B-Grade Villains who decided not to be like the rest of all the Villains who were starting their own version of the Justice League (featuring Luthor and all that) and as a result have had to fend for themselves against hero and villain alike. It's just a nice twist on superheroics, some fantastic art and brilliant writing. I'm not very good at writing synopsis' but its the book I look forward to the most.
    I have to say this is my favorite book out right now. And believe me i love me some Geoff John books. But just the way everyone works together in this book is what makes it for me. The tense 'friendship' between Catman and Deadshot. The strange love that seems to slowly be developing between Bane and Scandal. I say strange because, well, Scandal is ya know? And how can you forget Ragdoll. I constantly find myself laughing hysterically at hsi antics. Between him in the car for date night. Or trying to don a certain amazon heroines costume. Ragdoll always seems to have me in stitches.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who does not read it. It is so much fun to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been enjoying X-Men Forever more than the standard drivel in the regular continuity, but I'm not sold on Claremont making Jean a vulnerable overemotional man-eater....oh, and a furry too, judging from the latest issue.

SLAMMO! is the best new sound effect ever.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best thing to read after GL rebirth is Sinestro corps.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try "Emerald Twilight/New Dawn" - it shows Hal Jordan's descent into villainy, with most of the Green Lantern Corps along the way, plus the origin and first battles of the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern.

There's a Silver Surfer/Green Lantern crossover book called "Unholy Alliances" - it's a good piece on both Rayner's struggle to learn how to use his new powers, and the lengths Jordan is willing to go to in order to change history. Thanos is along for the ride as well.
    Last edited by Chris; December 19th, 2009 at 3:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been confirmed the next Direct-to-DVD D.C animated movie is "Batman: Under The Hood"

http://www.mania.com/winick-pens-bat...le_119543.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So with what happened at the end of Blackest Night #6. I cannot wait to see how that goes. Would love to see some way for that to stick for a while. Specifically would like to see more of the Yellow and Blue.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, I loved the two-page splash with the make-shift... err... spoilers...

Never mind.

Been on school holidays but I've hooked myself up with a summer job so I haven't been online as much. However I have been reading stuff late at night. Recently caught up with Invincible, Secret Warriors (or Fury's Howling Commando's? Seriously.. What the..), Iron Man & Thor.

Hecka excited about everything that's going on.

Blackest Night, Siege.. I'm loving life.

Recently went through the original Authority series too. Nearly 30 odd of those comics. Haven't picked up the other volumes yet but I might... some of it's a tad hard to follow but for the most part it's lovely stuff.

I wonder if I'm ever going to grow out of reading this stuff. It's not like I'm a shut-in or very picky about who's writing and drawing what, I just really enjoy comics for a good read...

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DUQgzTz1c[/ame]

How in the hell have I never known about this? It's so epicly bad it''s awesome.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Lads,

I'm not huge into comic books. In fact the only graphic novel I've read to date is Watchmen (quite simply one of the best books of all time, but that's beside the point).

I've recently purchased the three Frank Miller Batman books and was wondering what order I should read them in. I'm lead to believe that they weren't necessarily written in chronological order. Is that right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read Year One first. Are the other two "Returns" and "Strikes Again?" If so, I suggest you read them in that order.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4DUQgzTz1c

How in the hell have I never known about this? It's so epicly bad it''s awesome.
    Ahaha I watched that whole pilot episode a month or so ago. I like how Flash is such a loser the whole time, even though he's the one guy with powers that have real, practical application.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Adair View Post
    Ahaha I watched that whole pilot episode a month or so ago. I like how Flash is such a loser the whole time, even though he's the one guy with powers that have real, practical application.

I love the fact the GL puts on a little eye mask and his girlfriend is oblivious as to who he is.
    Last edited by Hero!; January 18th, 2010 at 6:19 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Adair View Post
    Read Year One first. Are the other two "Returns" and "Strikes Again?" If so, I suggest you read them in that order.
    Yep.

And thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Version 6 View Post
    Yep.

And thanks.
    Or just skip "Strike Again". It's not good, and this is coming from a guy who thinks "All-Star Batman & Robin" is/was decent.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Strikes again isn't that bad it's just the ending that is awful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I forgot the entire thing. I remember that the coloring was shitty. Not that I dislike "brighter" Batman comics (Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin is the only series that I'm fully invested in at the moment), but TDKSA just looked cheap to me. Also, there is very little Batman in a book with "The Dark Knight" in the title.

Frank Miller needs to go on hiatus. TDKSA was a huge let down, his Spirit movie was abysmal, and the satirical ASB&R took forever from issue to issue and many people flat-out hated it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preview of Spider-Man: The Clone Saga Issue Six.

This contains mild spoilers

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=...496&disp=table

Last edited by Zarius; February 21st, 2010 at 2:08 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up JLA/Avengers a while ago - it was done way back in 2004.

There were lots of things I enjoyed about it - the characteristics of each universe affecting some of the heroes (e.g. the use of magic or the Speed Force), the difference in how the teams are perceived by their respective universes, the annual reunions between the teams, Superman and Thor briefly duking it out, etc.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lads and ladies, I present to you:

The new look of Wonder Woman. I dig it. Looks more modern and realistic than her old REDWHITEBLUE bathing suit armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it, it's bland and generic. The jacket is absolutely pointless and the black pants suck.
    Last edited by RabidWookie; July 2nd, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's edgy.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a realistic look for a modern super hero. It's ok and all, I'm more miffed over how they changed her origin and back story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -
    New Spiderman Costumes?

(Click on the pics for big versions)

In an interview on Comic Book Resouces Dan Slott, writer for Amazing Spiderman mentioned this...
    ...In the second arc, something is going to happen that will give him a new purpose and a new outlook on being Spider-Man. That will change how he interacts with the world! Because of an event in that arc, there will be a change to Spider-Man’s roster of super-powers! And by the end of the third arc, Spider-Man will undergo a massive status quo change! This book’s hitting the “Big Time” -- and that means big things are happening!

The full interview was accompanied by the above images. There's no specific mention of what, if any change will actually happen or if the costume changes will actually occur, but apparently Peter Parker is going to start using his genius level intellect for Science and helping people in sciencey ways, instead of coming up with new ways to punch people. Could that coupled with the second image maybe imply we may see him getting a day job working for Reed Richards? Could be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno if I like the costume but i absolutely love the Fantastic Four pic

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHero! View Post
    Lads and ladies, I present to you:

The new look of Wonder Woman. I dig it. Looks more modern and realistic than her old REDWHITEBLUE bathing suit armor.
    Why is it when updating women to be modern they throw a jacket on their costum. Rogue was the originator of that.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That new Wonder Woman costume is terrible. Looks very 90s. eldanielfire hit the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the jacket and it isn't too bad.

Basically someone just needed to put some pants on her. The pants are a bit dull and colourless for Wonder Woman granted, but they're not terrible.

The jacket is though

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcohol View Post
    -
    New Spiderman Costumes?

(Click on the pics for big versions)

Im digging the fuck out of that. I've always been a fan of alternate spidey suits, specifically SM 2099. It looks nice and simplistic with one dominant color and another for highlights. I hope they use it for a while and it isn't just a one off thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    Remove the jacket and it isn't too bad.

Basically someone just needed to put some pants on her. The pants are a bit dull and colourless for Wonder Woman granted, but they're not terrible.

The jacket is though
    Throws some white stars down the sides of the pants and it would begin to look better. I'm pretty sure I've seen that somewhere before already though...

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Adelaide Kane at Comicon:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post

Badass
    Holy shit, that's fucking epic! What's that from? I need it. Or a toy statue of that exact shot.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHero! View Post
    Adelaide Kane at Comicon:

I don't know who she is, but MEOW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidWookie View Post
    Throws some white stars down the sides of the pants and it would begin to look better. I'm pretty sure I've seen that somewhere before already though...
    Yeah, its interesting how they don't really seem to be doing anything with Cassie or Donna as characters, but they've decided to retcon wonderwoman into wondergirl to make her more appealing.

It's also retarded and more than a little condescending that they've de-aged her, stuck her in some leggings & a skimpy top and say its a victory for women. It's really not. By de-aging her they're basically saying women have to be young to be relevant.

I actually know several women who've dropped the title for that reason.

Honestly I think its a terrible design unless its actually set in the nineties. I mean come on, after Huntress who seriously thought it was a good idea to let Jim Lee redesign characters?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atnumbers View Post
    Holy shit, that's fucking epic! What's that from? I need it. Or a toy statue of that exact shot.
    It's Spidey's costume during the Civil War as designed for him by Iron Man.

If you have $300 just lying around you could get this

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by atnumbers View Post

Iron Spider suit. The majiggers on his back are called Waldoes and allow him to see around corners and such, essentially the suit's spider-sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I don't know who she is, but MEOW.
    She's from Power Rangers RPM. The entire series she wore this ridiculous bodysuit that showed off her ass. I love her so.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Googling her now!

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone read 100 bullets? I'm 30 issues in, roughly... I've just found it absolutely brilliant.

The initial plot of 100 Bullets hinges on the question of whether people would take the chance to get away with revenge. The mysterious Agent Graves approaches someone who has been the victim of a terrible wrong. Graves gives them the chance to set things right by providing them a handgun, the eponymous 100 bullets, and documentation of the person primarily and personally responsible for the recipient's woes. He informs the candidate that the bullets are completely untraceable, and any law enforcement investigation which uncovers one of these bullets will immediately stop.
    Though all of the murders enabled by Agent Graves are presented as justifiable, the candidates are neither rewarded nor punished for taking up the offer, and appear to receive nothing other than personal satisfaction for their actions. Several people have declined the offer, while others accept. Those that accept see their actions unfold with varying levels of success or failure. The attaché and Graves' "game" is later revealed to be only a minor part of a much broader story.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I might read 100 bullets tomorrow. I have it all downloaded but I just started and finished Y the last man yesterday (60 issues) so I don't feel like reading today. Y the last man was really good by the way, it really keeps you on your toes because you're not sure who's going to live or die.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Lono is the fucking man in 100 Bullets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently, someone posted this on Craigslist. I thought it was hilarious.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Supes has a new look...

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/sup...r-makeover/488

The Superhero Universe seems to have been increasingly influenced by what could be termed the "Twilight Effect," as Wonder Woman was given a similarly "edgy" makeover in June when her "bustier and hotpants" were traded out for a blue biker jacket and a trendy new hair style.
    In the words of the New York Post, the new Man of Steel "wears hoodies" and "has smoldering eyes"; and as Clark Kent, he wears low-cut pants and skinny ties. So basically Superman has turned into a full-on hipster.
    I love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's silly.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm really diggin' it. Superheroes should be adopting a modern look. They can't look like they're from the 50's forever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree ... if this wasn't just a blatant marketing scheme to try to save their failing flagship characters. Batman got ANOTHER FUCKING reboot this month, too. Big three, all rebooted. And expect another reboot soon.

At least with Flash and GL it made sense, they passed on their legacy to a new character. But nope, passing on the legacy of the Bat to Dick just wasn't good enough, so Bruce is back. Passing on the legacy of Wonder Woman to Donna wasn't good enough, so Diana is back. And Superman ... ugh. There's a reason that stale piece of crap is so often analogized with Cena.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of The Walking Dead I have picked up a few comics. I got the first 3 walking dead trade issues. Good stuff. I really picked up on Y: The Last Man ( I see Bert read this too) I am up to #8 in that series of trade issues. I see that it ends, and I need something else. I'm really looking for a great and hopefully recent story arc, What might you suggest?

BTW: someone recommended Morning Glories to me.....kinda meh.
    Last edited by The Rick; February 24th, 2011 at 8:04 PM.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who is reading Brightest Day. The Ultimate Savior the White Lantern Ring is going on about is

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SWEET.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

OH MY GOD, YES!!!

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up Pride of Baghdad two weeks ago. Good story by Brian Vaughn, but the art by Niko Henrichon is what really shines in this book. Take a look for it next time your out.

The pride of Baghdad is a is based on the story of four lions that escape the Baghdad zoo after the US bombs it in 2003. allegories of the war can be found through out.

One more recommendation is Daytripper by Gabriel Bá & Fábio Moon. The collector trade is $20, but well worth it.
    The comic touches upon the annals of life and death through each issue of the protagonist Bras de Oliva Domingos.

I haven't found anything bad in the Vertigo imprint under DC(Fables, Y: The Last Man, Daytripper, Pride of baghdad, V for Vendetta).
    Last edited by The Rick; April 6th, 2011 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really thought it was going to be Ted Kord. The way they got rid of Jamie over in Generation Lost. And had Booster Gold blathering all over himself about Ted not being ressurected. Did not see him being the ultimate savior. Gotta go out and read that issue now. Couldn't resist clicking that spoiler.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In North America, this Saturday is Free Comic Book Day.

Here is the LINK for more info. Check your local outlets to see if they are participating.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So, DC comics to reboot it's entire franchise?

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/05...-distribution/

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...einvents_n.htm

I do love the fact that they're pushing digital copies. I might actually be able to read comics again!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I highly recommend reading The Six Volume Starman Omnibus...

He's a lesser known hero, but the collections themselves are fantastic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone read The Punisher or Batman still?
    I got the Kingpin tpb under the punisher and thought that was really good.
    There's another one out with Bullseye, haven't read it, debating about getting it.

I might pick up that tbp, along with Hush and Arkham Asylum.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    The Bullseye arc is amazing you won't regret picking it up. It's better then the Kingpin arc and like you i thought that was pretty good.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most recent PunisherMAX arcs and the standard Punisher run that's out right now are absolutely brilliant. In the normal Punisher run the art is just beautiful to look at on it's own.

To be honest I don't really feel like it's a great time to be a comic book nerd. A lot of stuff isn't interesting me at the moment, like Spider-Man, which was fantastic, but is basically re-hashing a lot of the Sinister Six stuff from the 90's...

X-Force has always been great since it came back so I'm looking forward to good things there and in Avengers Academy, but the normal Avengers stuff has been a bit boring lately, which is really unfortunate

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, Kev. I've definitely cut back on my comic spending, but my main 3 titles are: Invincible, Ultimate Spiderman, and X-Force. But sure I'm enjoying mini series such as Luther Strode, but other than that nothing really catches my eye anymore. Recently dropped Spawn, which was a heartbreaker since I'd been reading it since 1992.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone read The Flash?

I love the idea of the character... but is his rogues gallery any good? Does the series produce good stories?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent read a Flash comic in yonkos, not since Professor Zoom trolled Wally by pretending to be Barry (back when Barry's death meant something)

Before I stopped, the Flash books were always fun, his rouges gallery have extremly cheesy names, but they have killer character backgrounds and do a lot of nasty shit to make you care for them in spite of their names

Has anyone else been reading the Spider-Man newspaper strip? You can find it on www.spidermancrawlspace.com it's actually a better product than the mainstream book.
    Last edited by Zarius; January 3rd, 2012 at 12:50 PM.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    To be honest I don't really feel like it's a great time to be a comic book nerd. A lot of stuff isn't interesting me at the moment, like Spider-Man, which was fantastic, but is basically re-hashing a lot of the Sinister Six stuff from the 90's...

X-Force has always been great since it came back so I'm looking forward to good things there and in Avengers Academy, but the normal Avengers stuff has been a bit boring lately, which is really unfortunate
    That might be because you are sticking to super hero comics. Here are a couple of suggestions
    Fables

INCOGNITO

or maybe the Serenity comics might gain your interest.

There is good stuff out there. You just have to find it. If you haven't touched Sandman, by all means get that book. If there ever was an under appreciated piece of entertainment this might be it.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently reading Wolverine and the X men and The Bionic Man as well as slowly piecing together the old 60's Star Trek comic series as well as the new one.
    WATXN seems to be alot more fun atm then the muntant titles have been in a long time and almost feels like the old days. Being an Old Six million dollar mark i just couldn't resist pciking up this new series and so far its pretty interesting, although a little slow to get moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first few casualties of The New 52 DC range have been named:

OMAC
    Static Shock
    Mister Terrific
    Hawk & Dove
    Men of War
    Blackhawks.

All cancelled

DC however, announced they will be launching several new books to replace them, including the promisec return of Batman Inc, we also have a new "Wordls Finest" book coming out, you're logicly thinking it'll be a Batman/Superman book like before right? Wrong, WF will feature Power Girl and Batman's daughter Helena Wayne from Earth 2 trying to fit in on the mainstream Earth.

Other books include JSA title "Earth 2", the return of "Dial H For Hero", GI Combat, and The Ravagers, which will be written by former 90s Marvel scribe Howard Mackie

Still no word on when Batman Beyond will return.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is earth 2 a version of the 90's tv show of the same name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a comic book of Galactica 1980.

DON'T push your luck.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont tell me what to do. i'll push my luck and your luck.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    Does anyone read The Flash?

I love the idea of the character... but is his rogues gallery any good? Does the series produce good stories?
    Flash has a great rogues gallery, Johns really fleshed them out in his run. Sadly they haven't really been seen in the reboot yet.

Im very excited about HERO, great concept. What is everyones thoughts on the new 52 so far?

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't really enjoyed anything outside of Teen Titans, but to be honest its been a bit hard to keep up.

Animal Man is very, very, very Gangster though.

Actually the recent Flash run has been very enjoyable, not just the story (which is all I normally care about) but the art too, is just fantastic.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im loving Animal Man, its so offbeat that its just amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, there was a comic book thread, Comic Book Revival, started by yours truly. Might have been pruned at some point, i'm not sure, but the fact remains that i'm years ahead of my time...

Anywho, the Green Lantern arc that just wrapped was pretty solid. A little bit of redemption for Sinestro, fleshing him out a bit in the process. He's always been a favorite of mine.

Anyone into the digital comics stuff goin on lately? Been resisting myself, but have dabbled recently. Kinda likng it, honestly. I'm a huge fan of the feel and smell of my literature, but convienience has it's own allure to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a pretty cool story going on in the Spider-Man newspaper strip, Loki's tricked Thor into thinking Mary Jane is Lady Sif, so he's abducted her. Spidey teams up with Cap and Iron Man to go save her.

Great thing about this is the newspaper strip is very decompressed in it's storytelling, so it'll still be going on when The Avengers movie hits. Nice bit of promotion, and it's also celebrating two anniversarys, Spidey's 50th and the 25th anniversary of his marraige to Mary Jane (sadly the newspaper stirp is the only ongoing medium left where he's married to her)
    Last edited by Zarius; January 26th, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    DC officially announced "Before Watchmen".

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingCool.com
    It's official folks. This morning I discovered that the Brian Azzarello/Lee Bermejo DC comic we heard about at Angouleme was going to be Rorschach. I sent a few emails out for confirmation. Then this landed on me. A full confirmation of the Watchmen prequel project from DC Comics we have previously referred to as Watchmen 2, Before Watchmen, with writing details, courtesy of the Wausau Daily Herald which I think may have slightly broken an embargo. And it's not the four prequel comics we'd previously reported, but seven. They include; (UPDATE: USA Today confirms the artists) Rorschach by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo Comedian by Brian Azzarello and JG Jones) Minutemen by Darwyn Cooke Silk Spectre by Darwyn Cooke and Amanda Conner Doctor Manhattan by J Michael Straczynski and Adam Hughes Nite Owl by Joe Michael Strazynski (and presumably Andy and Joe Kubert) Ozymandias by Len Wein and Jae Lee. The last is the biggest surprise, Wein was the editor of the original Watchmen series, and the co-creator of the likes of Wolverine, Swamp Thing, Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus. Before Watchmen will be scheduled in a similar fashion to Seven Soldiers, so there will be a new issue out every week of its run., Each issue will also contain a two page back up strip, Curse of the Crimson Corsair, by Len Wein, drawn by Watchmen colourist John Higgins. While Watchmen's writer Alan Moore mooted a Minuteman prequel back in the day, he has long opposed any such project over the last twenty years. And previous president and publisher Paul Levitz resisted any move for a sequel, seing himself as a protector of the original graphic novel. However, Bleeding Cool recently reported that the word from on high at Warners had come to exploit any and all properties within the DC remit that could make money, and this specifically included Watchmen. A move was made to Alan Moore, for his blessing on any such prequel or sequel in return for the rights being returned to him, something he rejected. The project is being published with the blessing of Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons. The article reports him saying
    "The original series of Watchmen is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,"
    You can see previous Bleeding Cool coverage of the emergence of Watchmen 2 here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. We also ran Comedian, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre artwork by the respective creators over the holiday season, until we received legal notices from Warner Bros. The article reports Brian Azzarello thus;
    Azzarello says he "dropped the phone" when DC co-publisher Dan DiDio called him last summer and asked if he'd write the fan-favorite character Rorschach, the vigilante clad in a mask with shifting ink blots who investigates the death of his old friend, The Comedian, in the original Watchmen story. "He's the face. The guy who covers his face is the face of the franchise," Azzarello says. For the four-issue Rorschach series, he's teaming again with the artist from his Joker graphic novel, Lee Bermejo. "You're going to get the Rorschach that you know and want. It's a very visceral story we're going to be telling," says Azzarello.
    However, that approval isn't as important as making sure all the Before Watchmen books work on their own, Azzarello says. What's key is "that we all get in there and we tell the best possible stories we can and we reconnect these characters. It's 25 years later. Let's make them vital again."
    Expect this to hit major news sites in a big way through the day. UPDATE: Comic Book Resources has art and news of an eighth book, Before Watchmen:Epilogue featuring Crimson Corsair and a series of stories from other creators.
    Meh... I understand that Watchmen is historic, but I was personally never as ga ga over it is as everyone else.

I'm most interested in the Rorschach comics because Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo are doing them.

At least this new series will probably cause Alan Moore to throw another shit fit. Moore's a bitter old prick who practices "serious" magic and fantasizes about rape.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody else reading Invincible? Easily been my favorite book for the last several years, and lordy have cliffhangers left me speechless during this current arc.