User Tag List

Thread: Black Panther (2018)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Panther (2018)

Initial reviews are out and it's being reported that this movie remarkably cures cancer & lupus among a handful of other serious illnesses. The movie industry, nay the world, will never be the same once this gets released to the masses. Strap in and pre-order your tickets.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hype for this movie is unreal.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post

Initial reviews are out and it's being reported that this movie remarkably cures cancer & lupus among a handful of other serious illnesses. The movie industry, nay the world, will never be the same once this gets released to the masses. Strap in and pre-order your tickets.
    You could have at least not unsold the reviews.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hype is very big, particularly among the black community obviously but also the general comic book movie crowd, and I will say that while I was joking around about the glowing reviews from the premiere last night, this might be one of the rare Marvel movies that gets me to the theater. It looks and sounds very good.

Over/under $750 million worldwide? I will say over. Thor Ragnarok did 850. I think it will be in the same neighborhood assuming the reviews and hype stay strong, even though this is a more obscure and lesser established character.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Pastor Chris Brooks has been building this up for a minute, so I'll check it out.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty excited for Black Panther. I like when the B-C level comic book characters get some love which is why I love the Defenders getting the shine they're getting on Netflix both individually and as a group. I heard they were going to do an X-Force or X-Factor movie, take my money. Now we just need to get more of the Avengers like Wonder Man in the mix. He's really the only major Avenger that we've yet to see a fucking thing, unless I missed a cameo or mention.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Just when I think I'm tired of the MCU, they keep surprising me with films like this. Can only imagine where we're gonna be in 10 years time.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Panther: The Album

1. "Black Panther" - Kendrick Lamar
    2. "All The Stars" - Kendrick Lamar and SZA
    3. "X" - Schoolboy Q, 2 Chainz and Saudi
    4. "The Ways" - Khalid and Swae Lee
    5. "Opps" - Vince Staples and Yugen Blakrok
    6. "I Am" - Jorja Smith
    7. "Paramedic!" - SOB X RBE
    8. "Bloody Waters" - Ab-Soul, Anderson .Paak and James Blake
    9. "King's Dead" - Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Future and James Blake
    10. Redemption Interlude
    11. "Redemption" - Zacari and Babes Wodumo
    12. "Seasons" - Mozzy, Sjava and Reason
    13. "Big Shot" - Kendrick Lamar and Travis Scott
    14. "Pray For Me" - Kendrick Lamar and The Weeknd

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Cewsh View Post
    My hype for this movie is unreal.
    But...
    Domestic Violence...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There was that storyline where Black Panther and Storm beat the ever loving shit out of each other while reflecting on their marriage...
    It was the biggest domestic in 616 since Spider-Man decked Mary Jane while she was pregnant...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; January 31st, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didnt know about that.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a thing people are talking about? Or just a bill casey fun fact?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Is this a thing people are talking about? Or just a bill casey fun fact?
    Cewsh can't enjoy Ant Man because of a domestic violence storyline in the comics...
    I'm just ruining everything for Cewsh, in the hopes that the stance will soften from "fuck ant man" to "fuck that storyline"...

Last edited by Bill Casey; February 1st, 2018 at 8:25 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see. Carry on

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #Allpanthersmatter

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1081081

Facebook Deactivates Anti-'Black Panther' Group

The group was attempting to flood Rotten Tomatoes with poor audience scores for the superhero pic.

The move comes after Rotten Tomatoes publicly denounced the Facebook group, which was attempting to flood its site with poor audience scores for Disney and Marvel Studios' upcoming superhero pic.

The film, opening in theaters Feb. 16, is a bold move by Marvel and Disney in featuring a virtually all-black cast. The movie is generating keen interest, with one major tracking service predicting a $130 million-plus domestic debut. Other box-office observers believe that number could even climb to $150 million.

"We at Rotten Tomatoes are proud to have become a platform for passionate fans to debate and discuss entertainment and we take that responsibility seriously. While we respect our fans’ diverse opinions, we do not condone hate speech. Our team of security, network and social experts continue to closely monitor our platforms and any users who engage in such activities will be blocked from our site and their comments removed as quickly as possible," Rotten Tomatoes said in a statement issued Thursday.

The Facebook group went by the name "Down with Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys." In recent days, the group created the event, "Give Black Panther a Rotten Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes," that drew 3,700 participants. In December, the same group claimed it waged a campaign to flood Rotten Tomatoes with poor reviews of Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The group makes unsubstantiated claims that Disney somehow manipulated the press into creating negative buzz for Warner Bros.' DC movies, and says it is waging the Black Panther campaign in response.

Not long after Rotten Tomatoes issued its statement, the group's Facebook page was taken down for violating the social networking site's community standards.

"People often use Facebook to challenge ideas, institutions, and practices," a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement Friday. "Such discussion can promote a diversity of perspectives and greater understanding. However, we’re opposed to hate speech and bullying, and don’t allow either on our platform. We want Facebook to be a space where both expression and personal safety are protected and respected. That’s why we developed our Community Standards, which you can read on our site."

After the deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in summer 2017, Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg vowed to curb hate speech on his social media platform.

Directed by Ryan Coogler, Black Panther stars Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther alongside Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker and Andy Serkis.

The movie is the 18th title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's also the first tentpole of 2018.
    Worth noting "Down with Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys." took credit for The Last Jedi's Rotten Tomatoes audience score...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Who cares what the fuck Rotten Tomatoes thinks? When did it become so fucking important that a movie got a high rating on there?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a bunch of racists ganged up to tank it?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Why do you assume they are racists they are trying to bring it because they are sick of the marvel cinematic universe getting constant praise while DC movies get shit on.

That article doesn't even suggest it's a racist thing they mention they did the same thing to The Last Jefo and it's something DC fanboys claim people did to Justice League and that everyone is in Disney/Marvel's pockets.

It does seem now that when a film comes out it eill only be judged as a good movie if it has a high rating on Rotten Tomatoes and I don't get how this has happened that's not how you judge how good a movie is before it's even released.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Yea, their racists. No one was doing this shit for the other movies last year.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Why couldn't these dumb racists just do something more productive with their time. Mad about an almost all black case of Black Panther? Start a go fund me and make the White Panther. Personally they should all just be shot but people frown upon that too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Some quotes from "Down with Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys."

And 2017 had the worst Box Office record for the summer. This trend will continue on and on if SJW's get their way. And we'll be there to bring down the score for the Disney films
    SJW's have gone too far and are the real Nazi's for doing this. Real Americans need to wake up and rebel against this act of war.
    Did you not see everything that came out of Ghostbusters? That is why. I’m sick and tired of men being portrayed as idiots. There was a time we ruled society and I want to see that again. That is why I voted for Donald Trump.

https://www.inverse.com/article/4080...n-hacker-event

The group’s leader told Inverse that they’re acting out against Disney’s supposed efforts to “shove SJW messages down our throats,” adding that “minorities … should stay that way.”

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would have way more quotes, but the account is deleted for obvious reasons...
    So here's a dramatic reenactment...

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not racists at all, though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Yea, their racists. No one was doing this shit for the other movies last year.
    Errrr yes they were they did it for the last Jedi that article says as much. It's a bunch of DC fanboys campaigning to bring down disney/marvel scores because they feel the dc movies get unfairly slagged off by reviewers.

It's always been a thing I remember Batman fans doing the same to The Godfather and The Shawshank redemption to try and make The Dark Knight the highest rated film on IMDB.

Again where's the actual thing saying they are racists people are just saying that because it's an all black cast. It doesn't matter to them they just see another marvel movie getting hyped job as the greatest thing ever and they are getting pissy about it like they no doubt will when infinity war comes out. It's Disney/Marvel they are bitching at.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    Errrr yes they were they did it for the last Jedi that article says as much. It's a bunch of DC fanboys campaigning to bring down disney/marvel scores because they feel the dc movies get unfairly slagged off by reviewers.

It's always been a thing I remember Batman fans doing the same to The Godfather and The Shawshank redemption to try and make The Dark Knight the highest rated film on IMDB.

Again where's the actual thing saying they are racists people are just saying that because it's an all black cast. It doesn't matter to them they just see another marvel movie getting hyped job as the greatest thing ever and they are getting pissy about it like they no doubt will when infinity war comes out. It's Disney/Marvel they are bitching at.
    The group’s leader told Inverse that they’re acting out against Disney’s supposed efforts to “shove SJW messages down our throats,” adding that “minorities … should stay that way.”

- Said a concerned Batman fan who is not at all racist

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Some quotes from "Down with Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys."

https://www.inverse.com/article/4080...n-hacker-event
    Again where's the racism here? They are idiotic yes and seem convinced there's some feminist agenda but this is a viewpoint a lot of people sadly seem to have. I'm.sure if we went through the Ghostbusters thread on here there would be a lot of that.

So they said people who disagreed were the real.nazis again this is a point of view these idiotic people take when they get accused. They are stuck in this mindset there's a conspiracy against men. I think that's the point they are trying to make when they say real Americans need to stand up but then again who knows what they are thinkig they seem to think reducing a films approval rating on a website will prove their point.

This is just one group doing this and yes the minorities comment isn't the wisest thing but I would say the majority of that group are people bitching about Marvel movies rather then some huge racist movement.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody said it was a big racist movement. What it is is a bunch of entitled white male shitheads who are trying to bury movies for not catering directly to them anymore. It is about the movies specifically, but I feel pretty safe saying that they are racist if that's the language they want to use.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

- Said a concerned Batman fan who is not at all racist
    They are going against all Disney/Marvel movies they will be just as much a campaign against Infinity War , Antman and The Wasp and whatever other Disney/Marvel films cone out this year.

The fact that Black Panther is a predominantly all black cast is unfortunate and gives the impression it's a racist movement bit in reality it's a bunch of butthurt DC fanboys and idiots who think films like the all female Ghostbusters movie shouldn't happen.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I still can't believe Star Wars had a black and also a female stormtrooper. WTF

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Nobody said it was a big racist movement. What it is is a bunch of entitled white male shitheads who are trying to bury movies for not catering directly to them anymore. It is about the movies specifically, but I feel pretty safe saying that they are racist if that's the language they want to use.
    I agree with this I just think it's unfair to say it is a racist thing now admittedly I haven't read all the quotes from this group and their aims and it could be that the Black Panther movie has angered a load of racist dickheads who are using this movement from a bunch of fanboys to push their agenda because they will see some of these idiotic comments and think these people agree with whatever stance they take be that racist or against these SJWs.

It's like when the furore over the happy holidays thing gave people a chance to say well it's because of so and so we can't say merry Christmas any more. It gave moronic people a chance to publicly air their racist bile.

I would guess the leader of this group thinks this gives him such a platform and there will be a few in the group who sadly agree.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    male leads who aren't homo or colored or both WILL ALWAYS be better than female leads (unless you are Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman being compared to every Marvel lead)
    Also this was one...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sounds like something you should definitely occupy your time with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Pretty excited for Black Panther. I like when the B-C level comic book characters get some love which is why I love the Defenders getting the shine they're getting on Netflix both individually and as a group. I heard they were going to do an X-Force or X-Factor movie, take my money. Now we just need to get more of the Avengers like Wonder Man in the mix. He's really the only major Avenger that we've yet to see a fucking thing, unless I missed a cameo or mention.
    Technically we have seen him, or would have but the scenes were cut from GotG Vol.2 There were lots of background material shot, film posters and the like, featuring Simon Williams (Wonderman) films, with SImon Williams played by Nathan Fillion.

Examples below:

Yes, I know it's not the same, but if it leads to Fillion as Wonderman in an actual acting role in the MCU, I am okay with that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Off to see this in a few hours. Really looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Off to see this in a few hours. Really looking forward to it.
    A good film but nothing special. Some really funny bits in there. 7/10.

Michael B. Jordan and Letitia Wright were my two favourites. With Jordan being touted as the best Marvel bad guy since Loki, that's probably true, but then again the bar is set so low to claim that title.

Martin Freeman's character felt a bit shoehorned in too.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I wasn’t as keen on Jordan, the whole character felt a little false for me, like they had a list of traits to hit to make him interesting and a bit ambiguous.

I liked Martin Freeman though, and the future White Gorilla was brilliant.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    A good film but nothing special. Some really funny bits in there. 7/10.

Michael B. Jordan and Letitia Wright were my two favourites. With Jordan being touted as the best Marvel bad guy since Loki, that's probably true, but then again the bar is set so low to claim that title.

Martin Freeman's character felt a bit shoehorned in too.
    To take the now overused twitter joke further.

So you're saying he was just put in to be the Tolkien white guy?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely tremendous. Phenomenal cast, great performances, loved the action scenes. Jordan played a great villain, one of the few memorable ones in the MCU so far. I want more, can't wait to see the Panther in Infinity Wars in a couple months.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael b Jordan is class at everything he does. If you enjoyed this and have not watched fruitvale Station... Do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    Pastor Chris Brooks has been building this up for a minute, so I'll check it out.
    He sounds like a piece of shit.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Michael b Jordan is class at everything he does. If you enjoyed this and have not watched fruitvale Station... Do.
    I've been a fan of Michael B. since Friday Night Lights.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I've been a fan since The Wire.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fruitvale and creed have the same director as this as well as Michael b Jordan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Fruitvale and creed have the same director as this as well as Michael b Jordan
    Thanks IMDB.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly muscley big dick. Checks out.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    He sounds like a piece of shit.
    Why?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I saw and thought it was great. A bit formulaic since its almost Thor one in parts, but I love the characters in this. There is some really exciting and excellent moments in the film as well as to get hyped for Infinity War.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved this. The first Thor film remains one of my favourite Marvel movies, not just because of the fun fish-out-of-water element, but also the world that’s built and the family drama. This is on an even bigger scale in that regard. It’s surely one of the best written movies in the franchise - all of the characters at odds with each other had believable motivations and views about Wakanda’s place in the world.

Killmonger was a great villain. There was a real energy in his scenes. Much of the cast delivered their lines in quite a methodical manner and his uber-confident threats and rants really crackled against that style. Okoye was a really refreshing character and I hope she gets to kick ass in Infinity War. In fact they did such a good job of setting up all of the characters that it really felt like an ensemble film.

The visuals were brilliant, particularly the Warrior Falls and ancestral scenes. On first viewing, I’m not that keen on the upgraded Panther suit - watching two CGI figures zipping around in a dark room at the end seemed like a backwards step for Marvel and Panther didn’t have the same physicality that he did during the fights in Civil War. But overall I really enjoyed the finale.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to see this today and really enjoyed it. Its conpletely different to the standard superhero film so a change of pace was nice and it juat has a good story overall. All the characters are likeable and well acted, the villain has depth and charisma, its progresses the marvel universe without having to rely on any of the main names to prop it up in anyway and it has some quality action scenes.

Top stuff all round.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    My greatest hope is Wakanda doesn't get jobbed out in Infinity War. I want to see the Black Panther characters having the same standing as we are applying to the Guardians and Spider-Man when they are standing next to the Avengers. Seeing the Wakanda tech made me believe they have a small chance against Thanos and his army.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fruitvale Station was brilliant while simultaneously being an absolute snoozer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Panther 2... introduce Namor and Storm? He could work as a villain in a particular superhero film as well as for the entire team

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My greatest hope is Wakanda doesn't get jobbed out in Infinity War. I want to see the Black Panther characters having the same standing as we are applying to the Guardians and Spider-Man when they are standing next to the Avengers. Seeing the Wakanda tech made me believe they have a small chance against Thanos and his army.
    I honestly could see Thanos slaughtering almost everyone, and the events of Infinity War having to be undone somehow...
    That's basically how it goes down in the comics...

Maybe it will have something to do with the Time Gem, maybe it will have something to do with Ant-Man, Wasp and the Quantum Realm. Maybe it will be that machine Thor is hooked up to, or maybe it will involve the Infinity Gauntlet...

Even the Asgardians, who we see decimated in the trailer, could get a happy ending...
    If there's some timeline or reality fuckery involved in stopping him, there's very little upper limit to the level of destruction Thanos can wreak...
    He could kill 99% of the MCU...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; February 19th, 2018 at 4:01 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom_Axe View Post
    Black Panther 2... introduce Namor and Storm? He could work as a villain in a particular superhero film as well as for the entire team
    I can see M'Baku and Nakia as major villains in the future...
    The latter especially if Storm comes in...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Black Panther 5th largest 3 day domestic opening of all time...
    $192 million US, $361 million worldwide...

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good film, great in parts.

I think it's safe to say Marvel have got their villain curse out of the way now. They're on a bit of a streak with the quality of their bad guys, and the two here were brilliant. Jordan is outstanding in the as Killmonger, turning what could have been hokey into a wonderful performance full of subtlety and nuance and the rage just seeps out of him. Serkis eats up the screen in every scene he's in, and is a loathsome as Jordan is sympathetic. We knew and understood both of their motivations and they made sense.

Film's protagonist was male, both main villains were male and the connection to the larger MCU was male. So it makes it all the more striking that this was such a strong female film. No maidens needing saving here, it was the women of Wakanda that helped save the day, with the three characters of Nakia, Okoye and Shuri all embodying different aspects of strength. The strength and loyalty of the warrior, the cunning of the spy, the technological intelligence of the inventor. Just really good character building from the writers.

This may seem like an odd thing to say in praise, but while the story beats were easy enough to read as to who will probably do what and why, I had very little idea of what direction the story was going to take. It's been a criticism of trailer's for a while that they give away too much, but that was certainly not the case here.

And at the risk of going full Partridge, the use of music and sound was so, so good.

But it wasn't perfect. While it sets everything up well for what is to come, the opening half an hour of the film, essentially before we get to Busan, does not flow as quickly as you would like. This stands out even more with the wonderful nature of the Busan scenes and what follows. I understand in what is essentially an origin story (albeit not your standard one) there is a need to slow things down initially to introduce new people, but it didn't have the same verve as the rest of the film did. That said, there was no character bleeding of forgetting who people were, so maybe that is slightly harsh. Also, possibly slightly harsh again, Chadwick Boseman is surrounded by so many good performances that he sometimes doesn't stand out as much as you think he should.

Ultimately though, it's an 8/10 film for me. Fun, intense, understandable motivations, characters with heart and soul, brilliant action set-pieces.

And, it should (and has been) said, an incredibly important milestone. Here is a a huge blockbuster film made by black people, starring black people, about black people, for black people. We went to see the film last night, over a week after it had been released, the cinema was almost sold out and was almost exclusively BAME. I've only been in such a packed cinema over a week after the release once before in the past few years, and I don't think it's a coincidence that was Get Out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Good film, great in parts.

I think it's safe to say Marvel have got their villain curse out of the way now. They're on a bit of a streak with the quality of their bad guys, and the two here were brilliant. Jordan is outstanding in the as Killmonger, turning what could have been hokey into a wonderful performance full of subtlety and nuance and the rage just seeps out of him. Serkis eats up the screen in every scene he's in, and is a loathsome as Jordan is sympathetic. We knew and understood both of their motivations and they made sense.

Film's protagonist was male, both main villains were male and the connection to the larger MCU was male. So it makes it all the more striking that this was such a strong female film. No maidens needing saving here, it was the women of Wakanda that helped save the day, with the three characters of Nakia, Okoye and Shuri all embodying different aspects of strength. The strength and loyalty of the warrior, the cunning of the spy, the technological intelligence of the inventor. Just really good character building from the writers.

This may seem like an odd thing to say in praise, but while the story beats were easy enough to read as to who will probably do what and why, I had very little idea of what direction the story was going to take. It's been a criticism of trailer's for a while that they give away too much, but that was certainly not the case here.

And at the risk of going full Partridge, the use of music and sound was so, so good.

But it wasn't perfect. While it sets everything up well for what is to come, the opening half an hour of the film, essentially before we get to Busan, does not flow as quickly as you would like. This stands out even more with the wonderful nature of the Busan scenes and what follows. I understand in what is essentially an origin story (albeit not your standard one) there is a need to slow things down initially to introduce new people, but it didn't have the same verve as the rest of the film did. That said, there was no character bleeding of forgetting who people were, so maybe that is slightly harsh. Also, possibly slightly harsh again, Chadwick Boseman is surrounded by so many good performances that he sometimes doesn't stand out as much as you think he should.

Ultimately though, it's an 8/10 film for me. Fun, intense, understandable motivations, characters with heart and soul, brilliant action set-pieces.

And, it should (and has been) said, an incredibly important milestone. Here is a a huge blockbuster film made by black people, starring black people, about black people, for black people. We went to see the film last night, over a week after it had been released, the cinema was almost sold out and was almost exclusively BAME. I've only been in such a packed cinema over a week after the release once before in the past few years, and I don't think it's a coincidence that was Get Out.
    I took my six year old son and he was really bored for the firat half of the film. I was telling him to be oatient as the action would come and he was bouncing once it did. It does have a sliw start but it was sinilar with Dr Strange (maybes less so) where they have to educate the audience to the characters so they can have a bigger inpact later in the film.

It was worth it though, the second half was really good.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It warms my heart when the 2nd-3rd tier characters get this kind of love both visually and financially.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If you see any stories online floating around about white people being attacked at Black Panther screenings, you should be aware there's hoaxes based in propaganda around this...

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/...ngs/402346.htm

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered our tickets to see this tomorrow afternoon. Super stoked. Have heard nothing but great things.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where wallace at

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    WHERES WALLACE STRING

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife and I saw this yesterday. Not much i can say that hasn't already been said. Excellent film.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Outstanding movie.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Well...wow. This was distinctly average, a mess in places and everyone needs to calm waaaaaaaay down

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    Well...wow. This was distinctly average, a mess in places and everyone needs to calm waaaaaaaay down
    Defend your thesis.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I thought it was really good fun.

Marvel are on a hell of a streak with their bad guys at the moment, I thought Serkis and Jordan were absolutely fantastic in their roles and I am a bit gutted we wont see either of the again going forward.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah.

That said, I can see why some people might think it's not as good as it is.

That, or, the quality of the film has been slightly over emphasised by some who have conflated its importance with its quality and as such we can go into the film with unrealistic expectations only to have them dashed. Now, I've already stated I really liked the film, but I was expecting something outstanding given the buzz. It's not quite that, though it is still one hell of an achievement. The opening half an hour does not flow by well, and while I think the rest of the film more than makes up for the slow start I can get why some would feel it doesn't reach the heights I do.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I found the way the story unravelled to be very satisfying.

Everything from when Kilmonger went into Wakanda I believe is some of the best stuff Marvel has done. I loved the future tech and the fact they kept the movie quite grounded in "the real world" despite this.

Opening up Wakanda to the rest of the universe is excellent and leaves them full of possibilities. Im excited to see what the layout is going to be following the next couple of Avengers movies, Im kinda hoping that they start to branch out of earth more and more.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post

There is a very small chance we might see...

Last edited by Bill Casey; February 25th, 2018 at 7:47 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Good god that colour in the second picture is just glorious.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best line in the movie for me was...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Phenomenal analysis of Erik Killmonger...

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    That, or, the quality of the film has been slightly over emphasised by some who have conflated its importance with its quality and as such we can go into the film with unrealistic expectations only to have them dashed. Now, I've already stated I really liked the film, but I was expecting something outstanding given the buzz. It's not quite that, though it is still one hell of an achievement. The opening half an hour does not flow by well, and while I think the rest of the film more than makes up for the slow start I can get why some would feel it doesn't reach the heights I do.
    Black Panther suffers the same thing as Wonder Woman did in terms of that aspect.

Both movies were critically reviewed beyond what they actually were as a MOVIE because of the message or meaning behind them and what they represented. Wonder Woman was a good movie that was being treated as a very good movie. Black Panther is a very good movie that was made out to be the elite of Marvel's lineup. Both movies had me leaving them going "I enjoyed that, and they were good/very good, but not the level I was expecting based on the hype."

I wouldn't put it on the "elite" tier of Marvel movies, but it's definitely on that next step below, which is still extremely good.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    So I'd put this on the Marvel elite tier of movies but it has definitely been overhyped by people.

It was a very good movie, but it was maybe an 8 out of 10 at best.

Nothing glaringly negative to me, but not the 10 out of 10 masterpiece some people I know have been claiming it to be.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Black Panther suffers the same thing as Wonder Woman did in terms of that aspect.

Both movies were critically reviewed beyond what they actually were as a MOVIE because of the message or meaning behind them and what they represented. Wonder Woman was a good movie that was being treated as a very good movie. Black Panther is a very good movie that was made out to be the elite of Marvel's lineup. Both movies had me leaving them going "I enjoyed that, and they were good/very good, but not the level I was expecting based on the hype."

I wouldn't put it on the "elite" tier of Marvel movies, but it's definitely on that next step below, which is still extremely good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    So I'd put this on the Marvel elite tier of movies but it has definitely been overhyped by people.

It was a very good movie, but it was maybe an 8 out of 10 at best.

Nothing glaringly negative to me, but not the 10 out of 10 masterpiece some people I know have been claiming it to be.
    Worth noting "8 out of 10" is what both critic and audience aggregates have given it...

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth noting "8 out of 10" is what both critic and audience aggregates have given it...
    In my friend and social media circle it may have well been Citizen Kane mixed with Shawshank with a sprinkling of Godfather Part 2.

I don't think that's unfair.

They're interesting films to compare actually. Both important milestones (I'd argue Black Panther more so), both very good films but with differing flaws. Wonder Woman never really lets up on the quality, it is consistently very good all of the way through. Black Panther on the other hand starts slowly but then hits genuinely outstanding peaks at times, outstripping the highs of Wonder Woman.

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know. I honestly hadn't paid much attention to that part past when I saw it, which I was going in on opening day. I believe at the time I went, it was scoring from critics as the best reviewed Marvel (and I think perhaps superhero movie overall) of all time. For example, here was a story pointing it out (Link).

I am glad, but not surprised, as the movie has been in theaters for a while and the fervor has died out a bit and wider audiences have seen it, that it's settling into a more realistic presentation of the movie.

*edit - Actually, relooking, Rotten Tomatoes still has it as the top rated live action super hero movie of all times on the part of Critics, at 97% (TDK and IM1 are second at 94%)
    Last edited by Zyphlin; February 26th, 2018 at 2:09 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the slow start of Black Panther will hold up better on a rewatch, now that we know how it ties into the story later on and how that setting bookends the film. The same way that some of The Last Jedi's bold decisions took me by surprise on the first viewing, but make more sense and are more enjoyable through the anticipation of them the next time around.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    *edit - Actually, relooking, Rotten Tomatoes still has it as the top rated live action super hero movie of all times on the part of Critics, at 97% (TDK and IM1 are second at 94%)
    That's what percentage of critics liked it...

Look at the Average Rating...
    8.2 out of 10...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://www.comingsoon.net/extras/new...nthers-success

Disney throwing a million dollars of that Black Panther money to STEM programs in underserved areas, including Oakland California...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved this. Finally got to see it yesterday.

I thought Okoye was a fantastic character all around.

For me, in terms of Marvel movies, it's top 3. Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and then Black Panther.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I can't wait to see this, we haven't been able to get claim to the babysitter the past couple weeks and I haaaaatttte not seeing marvel movies right when they come out.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Defend your thesis.

So, before I get into it please bear in mind that, broadly speaking, I liked the film and thought it was decent enough. Angela Bassett, for me, gave a very powerful, nuanced performance adding depth, likeability, investment and moreishness to a character that was otherwise written, although fairly well, as nonetheless a vehicular archetype with relatively little screen time. Letitia Wright, despite my initial reservations that her enthusiastic, bouncing performance would quickly wear thin, balanced that ebullience with some touching glimpses of emotional complexity as well as very good comic timing. Those were my standouts, notwithstanding that, broadly speaking, I found the film to be well acted.

If I had to nitpick over performances, I found Boseman himself a bit one note throughout the film, though I'll come to my issues with his character more generally speaking.

The film was peppered with so many action/superhero movie cliches that I found myself rolling my eyes and sighing more often than I have during any other Marvel movie (well, more often than during Iron Man III and Ant Man, to be precise):

The protagonist thrust into power, though reticent then quickly convinced otherwise
    Failed insurgency (M'Baku, incidentally played strikingly and almost furniture-chewingly well by the excellent Winston Duke) and said failed insurgent and protagonist later making amends, failed insurgent coming to the rescue late on etc etc.
    The fake-out hero death
    1-dimensional, automatic deceit of protagonist by a close ally

Many more, but those there are enough to give an idea of why nothing shocked, surprised or delighted me from a storytelling point of view, for the most part, considering the telegraphed setup and conclusion of so many tropes.

The love story of the film bothered me, if I'm honest, and I'm not entirely satisfied that the complications driving it's exposition were ever truly resolved. T'Challa and Nakia's fairly pointless, in my opinion, troubled romantic arc focussed on the strength, independence, ambition and charity of the latter. To the character's detriment, T'Challa did little else than to weakly suggest she stick around a few times. There was little exploration of him coming to understand and appreciate her goals, her drivers, her breaking from the cultural traditions of xenophobia and isolation of Wakanda. Other than a brief reference to her mission involving the trafficked villagers early on, very little else was done to add subtlety, respect and detail to her and her passions. In fact, when she WAS put into action on the casino etc. mission with T'Challa and Okoye, she largely came off as ill-equipped and in need of protection. Oh, that coincided with a part of the film I hated – the car she was driving was utterly obliterated but for the seat she was in and the steering wheel in her hands. LOL etc, but....really? Anyway, in the end the King looks to have gotten his Queen. With no specific indication of how she will both perform that role and pursue her humanitarian, freedom-fighting ways as is her wont.

This is going to end up tl;dr if I go through things item by item, so let's jump right to KILLMONGER (Jesus, was that from the comics? I'd have forgiven them for taking a little artistic license on a name change there either way). Well acted, I suppose, by Jordan, if a touch shouty, one note and not quite illiciting the conflicted sympathy or provocation of audience dichotomising that I assume the character was intended to do (as much to do with the script/edit as with Jordan's performance, admittedly). His militant Black Panther (in the political, equal rights sense of the words) solution aside, i.e. arming the oppressed and all those with the same colour skin as them to rise up, fuck things up and live it up, his motivations deserved far greater attention, flashbacks, illustration and exposition. Considering the weight of historical truth behind his beliefs and the very easily arguable stance that such continued injustice be addressed, as well as that reparations be made for such imperialism/apartheid/slavery/subjugation of the past, it strikes me that far more screen time should have gone toward backing up his views and his politicising, warping and taking advantage of the sympathy towards them. Extra emotional layers and courtesy to the entire ideology only really arrived, as did any hint of depth to the character, in his last dying words (which were beautiful and hauntingly delivered).

I'll finish with the CIA agent who woke up back from the dead one day in The Jetsons in Africa, acclimatised remarkably quickly and with no desire, seemingly, to call his loved ones and let them know he's off out for a bit, then jumped right on board with murdering a few folk in a VR X-Wing, that luckily his air force experience prepared him perfectly for. What. In fucking. God's. Name. No moral dilemmas. None of the authoritarian, forthright, headstrong Ross from not 20 minutes earlier. No – Bilbo Baggins traipsing around wherever everyone else is off to, minding his Ps and Qs and then..yes I mentioned all of the killing without hesitation. Immediately siding with one half of a civil war in which countless civilians were slaughtered.

Oh and a man blew a horn and War Rhinos showed up, then within seconds said War Rhinos became utterly inconsequential.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    So, before I get into it please bear in mind that, broadly speaking, I liked the film and thought it was decent enough. Angela Bassett, for me, gave a very powerful, nuanced performance adding depth, likeability, investment and moreishness to a character that was otherwise written, although fairly well, as nonetheless a vehicular archetype with relatively little screen time. Letitia Wright, despite my initial reservations that her enthusiastic, bouncing performance would quickly wear thin, balanced that ebullience with some touching glimpses of emotional complexity as well as very good comic timing. Those were my standouts, notwithstanding that, broadly speaking, I found the film to be well acted.

If I had to nitpick over performances, I found Boseman himself a bit one note throughout the film, though I'll come to my issues with his character more generally speaking.

The film was peppered with so many action/superhero movie cliches that I found myself rolling my eyes and sighing more often than I have during any other Marvel movie (well, more often than during Iron Man III and Ant Man, to be precise):

The protagonist thrust into power, though reticent then quickly convinced otherwise
    Failed insurgency (M'Baku, incidentally played strikingly and almost furniture-chewingly well by the excellent Winston Duke) and said failed insurgent and protagonist later making amends, failed insurgent coming to the rescue late on etc etc.
    The fake-out hero death
    1-dimensional, automatic deceit of protagonist by a close ally

Many more, but those there are enough to give an idea of why nothing shocked, surprised or delighted me from a storytelling point of view, for the most part, considering the telegraphed setup and conclusion of so many tropes.

The love story of the film bothered me, if I'm honest, and I'm not entirely satisfied that the complications driving it's exposition were ever truly resolved. T'Challa and Nakia's fairly pointless, in my opinion, troubled romantic arc focussed on the strength, independence, ambition and charity of the latter. To the character's detriment, T'Challa did little else than to weakly suggest she stick around a few times. There was little exploration of him coming to understand and appreciate her goals, her drivers, her breaking from the cultural traditions of xenophobia and isolation of Wakanda. Other than a brief reference to her mission involving the trafficked villagers early on, very little else was done to add subtlety, respect and detail to her and her passions. In fact, when she WAS put into action on the casino etc. mission with T'Challa and Okoye, she largely came off as ill-equipped and in need of protection. Oh, that coincided with a part of the film I hated – the car she was driving was utterly obliterated but for the seat she was in and the steering wheel in her hands. LOL etc, but....really? Anyway, in the end the King looks to have gotten his Queen. With no specific indication of how she will both perform that role and pursue her humanitarian, freedom-fighting ways as is her wont.

This is going to end up tl;dr if I go through things item by item, so let's jump right to KILLMONGER (Jesus, was that from the comics? I'd have forgiven them for taking a little artistic license on a name change there either way). Well acted, I suppose, by Jordan, if a touch shouty, one note and not quite illiciting the conflicted sympathy or provocation of audience dichotomising that I assume the character was intended to do (as much to do with the script/edit as with Jordan's performance, admittedly). His militant Black Panther (in the political, equal rights sense of the words) solution aside, i.e. arming the oppressed and all those with the same colour skin as them to rise up, fuck things up and live it up, his motivations deserved far greater attention, flashbacks, illustration and exposition. Considering the weight of historical truth behind his beliefs and the very easily arguable stance that such continued injustice be addressed, as well as that reparations be made for such imperialism/apartheid/slavery/subjugation of the past, it strikes me that far more screen time should have gone toward backing up his views and his politicising, warping and taking advantage of the sympathy towards them. Extra emotional layers and courtesy to the entire ideology only really arrived, as did any hint of depth to the character, in his last dying words (which were beautiful and hauntingly delivered).

I'll finish with the CIA agent who woke up back from the dead one day in The Jetsons in Africa, acclimatised remarkably quickly and with no desire, seemingly, to call his loved ones and let them know he's off out for a bit, then jumped right on board with murdering a few folk in a VR X-Wing, that luckily his air force experience prepared him perfectly for. What. In fucking. God's. Name. No moral dilemmas. None of the authoritarian, forthright, headstrong Ross from not 20 minutes earlier. No – Bilbo Baggins traipsing around wherever everyone else is off to, minding his Ps and Qs and then..yes I mentioned all of the killing without hesitation. Immediately siding with one half of a civil war in which countless civilians were slaughtered.

Oh and a man blew a horn and War Rhinos showed up, then within seconds said War Rhinos became utterly inconsequential.
    Man...that was boring.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    still haven't seen this but I listen to the soundtrack a lot. this song is flames

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Man...that was boring.

coming from you that means fuck all mate cheers

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I agree with some of your points Fanny. I don't necessarily agree that they should have spent more time on Killmonger's motivation from the real-world political aspects of it. Now this may be a strange way to look at it but stay with me while I say why.

While it would be good to further educate, I don't believe that should be the role of THIS movie. There was a gamble that was taken with this movie and it has turned out to be a gigantic success. For there to be such a prominent black superhero movie with a majority black cast there was going to be the risk that it would alienate non-black/minorities. In order for further movies of this type to be made, it would have to be shown to be financially successful. Had they gone more into the imperialism/slavery etc. stuff there's the the very real possibility of alienating white people.

I'm not saying that this would make a difference to true racists, they were never seeing this movie. But if people hear from their friends how the movie was "preachy" and "white-hating". Even if they're not fully racist, they may not want to go out to the theaters and pay out their noses for tickets and concessions to see a show where they've been told they'll be lectured at and feel guilty.

I admit I could be talking nonsense but I think not going too heavy on it was the right idea for this the first movie. The next movie can go more on that but I still don't think it should be solely on that.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fanny is entirely right about all of that. Doesn't make it less of an impactful or enjoyable film, but those are valid criticisms.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How is it impactful? What makes a seemingly broad Disney/Marvel movie impactful?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Go see Annihilation, you complete and utter dopes.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is it impactful? What makes a seemingly broad Disney/Marvel movie impactful?
    it's been very impactful to people who don't look like you.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man...that was boring.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    I agree with some of your points Fanny. I don't necessarily agree that they should have spent more time on Killmonger's motivation from the real-world political aspects of it. Now this may be a strange way to look at it but stay with me while I say why.

While it would be good to further educate, I don't believe that should be the role of THIS movie. There was a gamble that was taken with this movie and it has turned out to be a gigantic success. For there to be such a prominent black superhero movie with a majority black cast there was going to be the risk that it would alienate non-black/minorities. In order for further movies of this type to be made, it would have to be shown to be financially successful. Had they gone more into the imperialism/slavery etc. stuff there's the the very real possibility of alienating white people.

I'm not saying that this would make a difference to true racists, they were never seeing this movie. But if people hear from their friends how the movie was "preachy" and "white-hating". Even if they're not fully racist, they may not want to go out to the theaters and pay out their noses for tickets and concessions to see a show where they've been told they'll be lectured at and feel guilty.

I admit I could be talking nonsense but I think not going too heavy on it was the right idea for this the first movie. The next movie can go more on that but I still don't think it should be solely on that.
    Which is fair enough, notwithstanding essentially therefore being a blaxploitation movie rather than the pioneering minority milestone event it's being lauded as

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a serious question?