User Tag List

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,200 of 3648

Thread: Baseball

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it would appear (God I hope so) that Atlanta is all in this season. The signing of Will Smith and Chris Martin means the bullpen just went from pretty good to one of the elite in the league...and the bullpen isnt even near the top of the list of needs right now.

The big needs are a primary catcher, third base and another big arm for the starting rotation. If the Braves were only going to spend like normal then logic says they wouldnt have even spent one more dime on relief pitching as the other needs are far greater.

This is neccessary too. Philly is only going to spend more money and get better, the Mets are close to being good again and the Nats arent going away regardless of who they may lose to free agency.

The window to win a series is wide open but only if the Braves get serious about moving out of the middle of the pack on payroll. Because the NL East is about to become the most competitive division in the game.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atlanta will never be "all in". They are a profit-driven organization who only cares about the bottom line.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mets are far from close to being good again. They may have a couple of pieces, but the organization is still who they are. For NY area teams, I'd say they are maybe not as bad as the Knicks, and while the Jets suck, their future is looking up. The Mets won't contend for several years. Hiring a manager who is a "person of interest" in the Astro's scandal is a typical type of move that shows how snakebit they are.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Atlanta will never be "all in". They are a profit-driven organization who only cares about the bottom line.
    Well I dont mean New York or Boston all in. I mean Atlanta all in.

Like I said, it simply makes no sense to just spend a ton on the bullpen and nowhere else. Then there's this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...vnPgP/amp.html

Its just encouraging.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    The Mets are far from close to being good again. They may have a couple of pieces, but the organization is still who they are. For NY area teams, I'd say they are maybe not as bad as the Knicks, and while the Jets suck, their future is looking up. The Mets won't contend for several years. Hiring a manager who is a "person of interest" in the Astro's scandal is a typical type of move that shows how snakebit they are.
    86 wins isnt that far off.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acuna will certainly demand a 300+ million dollar contract. Will Atlanta pay up and keep him long term?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Acuna will certainly demand a 300+ million dollar contract. Will Atlanta pay up and keep him long term?
    They just signed him and Ozzie to ridiculously team-friendly contracts for the next 6 years. After that, they will walk (or be traded at the tail end for a new set of prospects).

EDIT: Acuna will get $17M a year from 25 - 30 years (and less before that). He is currently 21. They have his rights for the next 9 YEARS!!!
    Albies is only getting $7M a year from 25-40 (and less before that). He is currently 22.
    Last edited by _me; November 24th, 2019 at 9:47 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Well I dont mean New York or Boston all in. I mean Atlanta all in.

Like I said, it simply makes no sense to just spend a ton on the bullpen and nowhere else. Then there's this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...vnPgP/amp.html

Its just encouraging.
    It certainly would be nice if they took all that money they didn't have to pay Acuna and Albies and used it elsewhere. I am just way too cynical not to assume they are going to pocket it.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a free agent in 2029 I think they'll be ok

- - - Updated - - -

Don't need to spend on payroll for wins anyway

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly would be nice if they took all that money they didn't have to pay Acuna and Albies and used it elsewhere. I am just way too cynical not to assume they are going to pocket it.
    Another qoute from ownership came out yesterday saying they intend on spending. I think this may be the odd year when they actually spend a little.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just signed him and Ozzie to ridiculously team-friendly contracts for the next 6 years. After that, they will walk (or be traded at the tail end for a new set of prospects).

EDIT: Acuna will get $17M a year from 25 - 30 years (and less before that). He is currently 21. They have his rights for the next 9 YEARS!!!
    Albies is only getting $7M a year from 25-40 (and less before that). He is currently 22.
    They did the same thing with Freeman years ago.

They knew what they had and that when he hit free agency hed be a 20-25 mil dollar a year guy. So they gave him a contract early worth 100 over 10 and he took it.

Its a great strategy to go to these guys when theyre still fresh into the league and say "Hey. You want 200 million in 5 years and league minimun until then? Or do you want this dumptruck with 100 mil in the back to just dump the cash all over your front lawn right now and we own you until youre 30?"

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    Don't need to spend on payroll for wins anyway
    But spending does get you my man d'Arnaud

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another qoute from ownership came out yesterday saying they intend on spending. I think this may be the odd year when they actually spend a little.
    Every statement about spending more just makes me believe it less. Typically you don't brag to agents that you have tons of money and are dying to spend it…

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did the same thing with Freeman years ago.

They knew what they had and that when he hit free agency hed be a 20-25 mil dollar a year guy. So they gave him a contract early worth 100 over 10 and he took it.

Its a great strategy to go to these guys when theyre still fresh into the league and say "Hey. You want 200 million in 5 years and league minimun until then? Or do you want this dumptruck with 100 mil in the back to just dump the cash all over your front lawn right now and we own you until youre 30?"
    He would have made 100M in about 4 years of arbitration without giving up his free agency too. Really they took advantage of a poor kid and his desperation to provide for his family.

For instance, the Angels gave Trout 6 yrs and 144M when he was at the same point in his career. The Braves got Acuna for 8 yrs and 100M.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the first winner in the third baseman sweepstakes is the Reds. They signed Mike Moustakas away from the Brew crew for 4 years/64 mil.

Josh Donaldson is about to get PAID.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moose to the Reds is huge for Cincinnati. It's also a great step in the right direction for an NL Central run. We have a great starting rotation, we just need some more offensive power. Moose can play 2nd, while Suarez stays at 3rd. The Reds now have a Suarez, Moose, Votto lineup. We just need to bring in a high average batter to lead off, with Votto in the 2-spot and either Moose or Suarez at some combo of 3/4.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moose to the Reds is huge for Cincinnati. It's also a great step in the right direction for an NL Central run. We have a great starting rotation, we just need some more offensive power. Moose can play 2nd, while Suarez stays at 3rd. The Reds now have a Suarez, Moose, Votto lineup. We just need to bring in a high average batter to lead off, with Votto in the 2-spot and either Moose or Suarez at some combo of 3/4.
    Yeah kudos to Cincin for not just talking about spending money but actually going out and doing it. Not to mention the double whammy of making yourself stronger while your division rival gets weaker.

2020 could be a winner for the Reds.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the Braves keep making moves. Cole Hamels signed a one year 18 mil deal. Just hoping we get the healthy Cole. Not the oblique strain Cole.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strasburg now "Oprah Rich."

245 mil for 7 years to return to the Nasty Gnats.

What does this mean? Well for one there is no way they bring back Rendon now. Secondly, Cole may wind up getting the first ever 300 million dollar deal when he signs with whoever he signs with (Yankees).

So holy shit. Put the football down and learn to pitch kids.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's chump change for Oprah.

Cole should get 300 million, yea. He's definitely worth that compared to Strasburg who has had a non injured season like once in the past 7 years.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Didi to the Phillies on a one year deal.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yankees, Gerrit Cole agree to record 9-year, $324M deal.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Didi to the Phillies on a one year deal.
    The Reds were pulling for him, rumor has it.

That would've been nice.

Cole to the Yankees is huge. Expectations will be huge in NY. It's win, or fail. They have the best team in baseball now.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Insane amount of money, none deferred. Opt out after five years, full no trade clause.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Rendon signs for Strasburg money to go play for the retirement village of the MLB, The Angels.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott Boras negotiated over $800,000,000 for three players in the last three days.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angels have a lethal 3-4-5 lineup my goodness. Not sure if they have much else lol. They could use Bum and Ryu to top their rotation.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Angels have a lethal 3-4-5 lineup my goodness. Not sure if they have much else lol. They could use Bum and Ryu to top their rotation.
    Their rotation is trash. They have zero quality starters if they made the postseason. They need to trade for a guy like Happ or Price, and make another move in free agency. If they weren't willing to back-up the money truck for Cole, I question if they would spend the kind of coin it will take to land Ryu or Bum. They have roughly $116 million wrapped up, per year, in 4 guys -- one of whom isn't an everyday starter at this point. If they could trade Upton and some prospects for a guy like Corey Kluber, it would do wonders for them.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their rotation is trash. They have zero quality starters if they made the postseason. They need to trade for a guy like Happ or Price, and make another move in free agency. If they weren't willing to back-up the money truck for Cole, I question if they would spend the kind of coin it will take to land Ryu or Bum. They have roughly $116 million wrapped up, per year, in 4 guys -- one of whom isn't an everyday starter at this point. If they could trade Upton and some prospects for a guy like Corey Kluber, it would do wonders for them.
    To clarify when I said they have a lethal 3-4-5, I meant batting lineup. I think you knew what I meant. But just making sure.

Ryu or Bum would cost a lot less. They can basically land Bum and Rendon for the money it would take to land Cole. I would think they have the prospects to add a couple starters. just not sure who though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mets sign Wacha and Porcello to fill out the back of the rotation and bullpen. I like the moves as low risk, high reward kind of deals. If one of those guys has a good/great season, fantastic. If they both suck, oh well.

Best news of the off-season has to be that the Wilpons are selling their stake to an actual Mets fan. One who wants to spend money on actual talent, and brings with him and appreciation for analytics. With the Wilpons finally releasing the Mets from their unique brand of terror, who is the new worst owner in sports? James Dolan?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Mets sign Wacha and Porcello to fill out the back of the rotation and bullpen. I like the moves as low risk, high reward kind of deals. If one of those guys has a good/great season, fantastic. If they both suck, oh well.

Best news of the off-season has to be that the Wilpons are selling their stake to an actual Mets fan. One who wants to spend money on actual talent, and brings with him and appreciation for analytics. With the Wilpons finally releasing the Mets from their unique brand of terror, who is the new worst owner in sports? James Dolan?
    If the Braves dont bring in a power bat to fully take advantage of all the other money theyve spent so far this offseason my answer will be Liberty Media.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dolan was the worst owner in sports well before this. With the Wilpons, fans could at least get the sense that the owners kinda wanted the team to be better, but they were saddled with Bernie Madoff debt they couldn't afford to be competitive. They had no business being owners

Dolan has never cared about the quality of the team

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mets are generally still a top third payroll in the league and always a top half spender. They just need a patient and intelligent front office to put together a winner. And theyre closer right now than many seem to think. They had a great second half last season.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    To clarify when I said they have a lethal 3-4-5, I meant batting lineup. I think you knew what I meant. But just making sure.

Ryu or Bum would cost a lot less. They can basically land Bum and Rendon for the money it would take to land Cole. I would think they have the prospects to add a couple starters. just not sure who though.

I knew what you meant, and agree for sure.

I was just stating an obvious that their pitching still sucks. They won't win anything without 2 solid starters who can carry them in the post season.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still sitting around waiting to see what happens at 3rd base for the Braves. I really wanted Donaldson back but that was before the market changed. Let the Nats have him if he can get a four year deal for 9 figures. They have the pockets to make other moves in two years when he gets old and the power goes. Atlanta does not.

Currently hoping they pull off a trade with the Cubbies for Kris Bryant.

Or possibly bring in Ozuna to the outfield and platoon at third with Austin Riley and pray he eventually comes around.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys could always go after Maikel Franco then wait a year and sign Bryant as a free agent in 2021.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting clause in Cole's contract. He can opt out after 5 years but the Yankees can refuse the opt out. If they do so, it adds another year onto the back end of the contract at $36 million. So the total value of the contract could be 10 years, $360 million.

Bagel
    That's just absurd numbers. While I've come around recently to see pitcher contracts equal to that of hitters - they may play 30-35 games a year, but you add the potential number of batters faced, can come out to close to the same for plate appearances for hitters. I mean I'm not surprised Cole got the contract he did, but to see this guy as something of a late bloomer, really reaching his potential once traded to Houston, hits free agency at the right time.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julio Teheran to the Angels on a one year 9 mil "prove yourself" deal.

Thats a steal. Julio got crowded out of the Atlanta rotation but he's still an innings eater (174 last year, the fewest he's ever thrown in 9 years), he's never hurt and has a career ERA under 4.

And, because Atlanta, he's still only 28 years old. (Do we draft these kids out of grade school?)

Angels trying to put something together over there.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great move by the Angels. They needed a quality starter. Julio should perform well in LA. If they can land one or two more guys like that, I would call them legit contenders against the Astros.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mets restructured Cespedes' contract. They paid him about $15 million for 2019 and will pay him only $10 million in 2020. That number can rise all the way to $20 million depending on how many games he plays. This is a great move considering he hurt himself riding a horse during his supposed rehab. Shades of Jeff Kent.

That gives the team a little more money to play with for the rest of free agency. Hopefully they'll spend it on bullpen help.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas Keuchel heading to the White Sox for what looks to be a deal worth over 18 mil a year for 3 years with incentives that make it a lot more.

Personally I find that nuts since the guy cant go through an order three times ever ever ever anymore but I get what Chicago is doing. They're in rebuild mode and he'll be a good vet arm to help the youngsters along and eat some innings.

But fuck. So is Tehran and the Angles just paid less than half that per season for him. I know Dallas has more prominant history but they're basically the same now. Julio just never got much better than average over the course of the last nine years while Dallas slowly went from really good to average since his time in Houston.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...?sf227617345=1

The Boston Red Sox used their video replay room to steal signs from opposing pitchers and catchers during their 2018 World Series championship season, according to a report published Tuesday by The Athletic.

Citing three anonymous people who were with the Red Sox in 2018, The Athletic reported that Boston players would visit the replay room to decipher their opponents' sign sequence and then relay the information to the dugout.
    Really must be a Boston thing I guess, finding ways to cheat.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheating is widespread; it is only the winning of championships that is a Boston thing.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Some say the Astros are getting off light. I think it’s a fair punishment. People calling for revoked titles or lifetime suspensions are crazy.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BREAKING: Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for one year after an MLB investigation found the team used technology to cheat during its World Series-winning 2017 season. Additionally, MLB will fine the Astros $5 million and take away their first- and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, sources tell ESPN.

Major.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Some say the Astros are getting off light. I think it’s a fair punishment. People calling for revoked titles or lifetime suspensions are crazy.
    vacating titles doesn't do anything really. i think the punishments are fine.

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's also very possible Alex Cora is not managing the Red Sox next year.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea Cora will get punished. I'm hoping it's not a full year

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    well what he did was worse than the astros manager so it will probably be much worse. he did it for two teams and was the figure head of both.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Astros have now fired manager A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hes gonna get fired.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I won't be sending a baseball card to Hinch to be signed. Although he will have a lot of downtime now so...

I think the year suspension was fair. Like PurePlayer said there's no need to vacate a title, that's ridiculous. Don't blame the Astros for firing the guys either, the team just wants to move past this.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the whole report by Manfred. Very well done by his office, I'm sure I've said this before but it amazes me how much more competent other commissioners are than Goodell. The NFL's incompetencies in regard to discipline are absurd by comparison. They're on month 6 of the Antonio Brown investigation, ffs.

Anyway, yea, not looking good for Cora, especially if he's found guilty in the Astros and Red Sox scandals. He could get a 2 year ban.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He should get a lifetime ban. Same with every other player and executive. Crane should be forced to sell. These jokers ignored the 2017 memo that clearly stated using technology to steal signs was illegal. Ban these assholes who actually cheated the game and unban Pete Rose(and fart hammer). This commish will be proven competent once he corrects this bullshit.

Until then he is just another pile of shit politician.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sucks for baseball.

The most publicity they will receive this year, and it revolves around a cheating scandal.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Don't forget the soon to come out Part 2 Red Sox edition.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Don't forget the soon to come out Part 2 Red Sox edition.
    Baseball fans have been through enough. Let’s punish the Astros and move on.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseball fans have been through enough. Let’s punish the Astros and move on.
    What's the thoughts in the Boston media in terms of Cora's suspension length? Are people calling for his termination?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the thoughts in the Boston media in terms of Cora's suspension length? Are people calling for his termination?
    Many are, yes. I don't listen to local sports radio though so I'm not too on the pulse of the media anymore. The interesting facet here with the media is that John Henry owns the Red Sox and he owns the Boston Globe so many fans are doubting that the Globe's writers will be as harsh on the Red Sox as they were on the Patriots. It's quite the conflict of interest.

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the general feeling is that Alex Cora has managed his final game for the Red Sox.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I don't fully understand the system employed by the Red Sox (and Astros, and probably most other teams)... the non-garbage can banging system. Which is not to say I don't think it was bad, since clearly they only did it because it was effective. But okay so the garbage can system works because they were looking at the live feed and banging the can in real time to alert the batter. Pretty simple and effective, and it works for all batters not just when there's a runner on 2nd.

But this other system, if I understand it correctly, had someone watching the live feed in the clubhouse, and let's say he's on the phone with someone in the dugout. He sees the catcher throw down the signs, knows it's a change-up because he's broken the code already, so he tells the dugout guy it's a change-up. The dugout guy on the phone then has to relay the call to the runner on second base, who has to relay it to the batter. I'm impressed that it could all be done so quickly with the knowledge arriving to the batter in time.

Now if the batter on 2nd knew the code himself, and saw the signal and just had to relay it to the batter, than that's simple and effective. That's "normal" sign stealing. But in that case, it wouldn't be cheating per se, since the live video feed technology wouldn't be being utilized.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I think I have it wrong now that I've read Manfed's statement again. He says

"At the beginning of the 2017 season, employees in the Astros’ video replay review room began using the live game feed from the center field camera to attempt to decode and transmit opposing teams’ sign sequences (i.e., which sign flashed by the catcher is the actual sign) for use when an Astros runner was on second base. Once the sign sequence was decoded, a player in the video replay review room would act as a “runner” to relay the information to the dugout, and a person in the dugout would notify the players in the dugout or signal the sign sequence to the runner on second base, who in turn would decipher the catcher’s sign and signal to the batter from second base."

So the runner on 2nd is doing the decoding of the specific pitch, which makes more sense. But then my question is.... why do you even need the live feed for this? Couldn't you decode the sign sequences just using the normal TV feed? Even if the TV feed is a minute behind, you're not using it to see the sign in real time, you're just using it to break the code so the runner on 2nd can steal the sign. Perhaps the answer is that the sign sequence changes inning to inning, or ever batter to batter when the pitcher and catcher have a chat, so you use the live feed to break the code in a more effective way than just using the TV feed. I suppose also, the TV feed doesn't show the signs on every single pitch. Sometimes they may not cut back to the batter until after the signs have been shown. That's probably a big value of the live feed where the video is on home plate without exception.

The Astros garbage can banging thing seems exponentially more effective to me, starting with the fact that a runner doesn't even need to be on 2nd base.
    Last edited by Fro; January 14th, 2020 at 4:50 PM.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    And Cora is out.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good get all the cheats outs.

- - - Updated - - -

Boston sports again cheating too. SHOCK

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh Donaldson to sign with the Twins for a 4 year 92 million dollar deal. Many in Braves country are pissed but I'm breathing a giant sigh of relief. I love Josh but facts are facts. He'll be 35 this season. No way he will be worth 24 mil a year by year 4 (probably not by year 3) and unlike the big spenders who would just eat the contract and sign another free agent, the Braves would just be stuck with an overpaid old guy playing 3rd. It was a nightmare scenario waiting to happen. Once it became clear that the Nats were moving on from signing him (something they clearly came to their senses on. You can't replace Rendon. You just cant) I think Atlanta went another way because they no longer had to worry about him going to the division rival.

Now we can simply move on to trying to sign a clean up hitter that's worth the price and doesn't fucking cripple us financially down the line and shorten the length of this window where we may just win a world series.

But make no mistake. Atlanta still MUST sign a power bat.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank god the Nationals beat the Astros this year

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, that quote from Cora about "our guys play the game the right way" from last season didn't age well.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/CLoprestiWFAN/st...079418882?s=20

An interesting clip that's been showing up on my timeline. It's from 2019 so it doesn't pertain to 2018 but it's essentially Cora saying "The Yankees are better than us at sign stealing right now and we need to get better."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thing could really snowball throughout the league. For as commonplace that stealing signs has been for as long as baseball has been around, I don't believe that only one or two teams used the technology available to do so. Teams and players use what's available to them.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign stealing has been around about as long as the game itself. But using the technology is the problem, especially as baseball argues against using technology to get balls and strikes called right.

As a kid, watching one of my first games, I recall sitting in the bleachers, and a guy with binoculars in the bullpen was staring in to get the sign. Then he'd either hang a towel over the top fence, or a hat. My uncle told me that the towel must have meant fastball, while the hat would mean an off speed pitch. At that age, I could never tell the difference, especially from out in the bleachers. My uncle told me they used to put a water jug or two, or milk bottles, on the rail, but it wouldn't be hard for the other team to catch on, and then simply change signals.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bye bye, Beltran. Officially stepped down as manager. One more name I won't be trying to get an autograph from during Spring Training.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His alleged niece chimes in:

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Beltrans deny that that twitter user is related to their family but nevertheless people have been speculating for the last few days that the reason Altuve didn't want his jersey torn off by his teammates after the walk off home run to win the ALCS was because he had a device on.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be a burner. could be an astros hater. could be a coincidence.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rumors are flying and an asterisk has officially been placed next to the Astros 2017 title (on wikipedia) .

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asterisks are so stupid they mean jack shit, especially on something like Wiki. If it ever shows up in official MLB records, then i'll care.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry Walker made the hall of fame on his final ballot. Good for him.

Also Jeter made it on his first ballot. Well deserved. And god bless the one voter who didn’t vote for him thus depriving him of the prestigious “unanimous” award. That’s a hero in my book.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laughable Obviously I am no Jeter fan, but a hall of famer is a hall of famer And he obviously is one.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    Laughable Obviously I am no Jeter fan, but a hall of famer is a hall of famer And he obviously is one.
    The baseball writers agree since they voted him in first ballot. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s just foolish that somebody wouldn’t vote for him because back in 1936 Babe Ruth wasn’t a unanimous election. That is the reasoning of some of these old school voters. Dinosaurs voting for a dying sport.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that the baseball HOF, unlike the basketball and pro football ones, releases the vote counts. It makes for fun debate and shit talking online. The problem is that it then makes fans and voters look at it differently. Voters taking it foolishly too seriously is trumped only by fans taking it foolishly too seriously. It's embarrassing on both sides, but as I said it's fun fodder so I wouldn't change it.

I mean isn't debating about who's a HOFer or not, and the next level of who's a first ballot HOFer or not, enough? Do we really need to care about the unanimous thing too? No, we don't. If you care, then you should be in favor of the voting becoming private like the other sports. That way you won't get upset by it and the writers can vote freely without making someone unanimous or not.

It's like we're dealing with 2nd graders. Heads down on the table, eyes closed, hand up to vote. No peeking or else people will get their feelings hurt.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realized this shit was going to happen to every should-be 100 percenter back when Nolan Ryan didn't get 100 percent. And mind you this was years before Clemens and Johnson even got close to his k total. Which will never be passed.

Ever.

Never ever.

Ever.

Ever.

Anyways in free agent news Ozuna has signed with the Braves on a one year 18 mil deal. Great for the Braves who needed a right handed power bat and another outfielder and great for Ozuna who will probably post way better numbers than his flukey 2019 and get a huge free agent deal next season.

Personally I'm just glad my team wont have to face him as an opposing hitter. For once. He killed us for years as a Marlin and was a giant pain in the ass in the divisional series loss to the cards in 19.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The clear steroid users who still act like heroes and think they are slick are much worse than Bonds and Clemons. Jeter and Walker are widely known cheaters. The entire 2004 Cardinals locker room was filled with drug cheats and unethical leadership. Not as bad as what houston has been doing, but not good. Neither Walker or Jeter exemplified behavior even close to Hall-worthy considering Pete Rose isnt in.

The MLB is a complete joke right now.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tony La Russa should be banned for life. Everyone who ever played for him is tainted.

Derek Jeter is apparently that guy who hung out exclusively with crack heads but never tired crack. Riiiiiight.

I have no proof Jeter cheated other than my eyeballs.

Walker had the juiced stadium. Double cheater.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A Rod, Clemens, Pettite, Giambi, Canseco, Cervelli, Cano, Jesus Montero, Soriano. If pretty boy Jeter wasnt juicing(he was) then he was minimally complicit in destroying the game.

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Widely known? But yet no proof other than your own opinion?

Are you sure you’re not the one on crack?

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The baseball writers agree since they voted him in first ballot. It doesn’t get any better than that.

My point on this was more, there are some guys that are no doubters, therefore leaving them off your ballot is dumb. There is no reason why he should’ve been not voting for Jeter. Someone like Larry Walker, that at least is a debate. Jeter isn’t.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Statistically Jeter is an "easy" unanimous decision. The fact that he wasn't should tell you something.

Also his defense was average by every advanced stat. He was well below average WAR most of his career. Unless you are a fat, New York dickhead with an annoying accent you dont actually think that Jeter is the second coming of God. More like the 2nd coming of McGwire.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He wasnt even a top 25 offensive player during his own career. He wasnt even close to a good defender.

But he did that famous flip play and we called him captain!!!!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    My point on this was more, there are some guys that are no doubters, therefore leaving them off your ballot is dumb. There is no reason why he should’ve been not voting for Jeter. Someone like Larry Walker, that at least is a debate. Jeter isn’t.
    That would make perfect sense in a system where you can vote for as many players as you want. But in the current system, where there is a limit on how many players you can vote for, it would make some sense for a voter to pick the guys who are nearing the end of their eligibility. Now that strategy only makes sense if there are more than 10 guys on the ballot you feel are worthy of entry. If you look at the list and feel there are 12 guys you want to vote for, then it's perfectly reasonable to employ this strategy every year - to choose who gets your 10 votes based on who is closest to the end of their eligibility. That is an effective, logical system a writer could employ and would be a fine reason not to vote for Jeter on his first ballot.

Whether this writer did it for this reason or because he just didn't want Jeter to be unanimous, who knows, but I disagree there is no reason he shouldn't be unanimous. And I am saying all this not because I really care if he got 100% or 99%, just to point out how ridiculous it is to think that the voter did anything wrong.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He was the only voter to get it right. Jeter isnt even a top 20 Yankee. It's the Hall of Fame and heart doesnt cut it alone.

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I get the system, I guess I just don’t agree with the core of it. And it will be interesting to see if the writers name is released.

Also, Loconut...... dude you ok? Why so much hate? Did Jeter sleep with someone you know and not give them a gift basket on the way out?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How much more can we disrespect the game before it loses all of its real fans?

MLB is a complete joke. All of my paid subscriptions cancelled. Streaming now only. Fuck them right back.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @LOCONUT has long been on the anti steroid platform so he gets credit for consistency. I take it that you think no one should be allowed into the Hall who played in the steroid era? Just ban everyone from that time period from induction?

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    What would you define as the Steroid Era?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't.