Results 6,901 to 7,000 of 7321

Thread: The WWE Network Thread

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That sounds really exciting. Has the Undertaker ever given an interview before?
    Oh yeah. Check out his TSN interview from around 2002, as well as this gem where he says "you know" about 2,000 times with this man of God:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    I have seen a interview of him on Jimmy Kimmel/Fallon (I forget as it was years ago)

He was still the ABA though so if he has done one as the Deadman I don't know.
    I don't think he gave an interview, he just showed up randomly for one of Fallon's weird segments, all in character it was pretty fucking cool because it was completely unexpected. This wasn't too long ago, maybe within 4 years.

You might also be thinking of the TSN interview he did around 2002ish because they asked him about how he felt about Nash, Hall, and Hogan coming back to WWE.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    TSN does ring a bell, I get confused about many things these days

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I don't think he gave an interview, he just showed up randomly for one of Fallon's weird segments, all in character it was pretty fucking cool because it was completely unexpected. This wasn't too long ago, maybe within 4 years.

You might also be thinking of the TSN interview he did around 2002ish because they asked him about how he felt about Nash, Hall, and Hogan coming back to WWE.
    He was on Kimmel as the ABA Taker back in 2003:

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that's dope!! Never knew that. PG here's the TSN interview:

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when 'Taker showed up to that baseball game? Or basketball? With his wife? And she was dressed completely normally and he was in his full gimmick, looking like Satan wanted a human sacrifice? That was in the last two-three years.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rosk
    I was absolutely beaming throughout the entire Taker/Austin podcast. What wonderful respect and mutual admiration they had for each other. Imagine going for a beer with these bastards. Christ.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Was going to watch that last night, but wanted to watch in one sitting and it's like 90 minutes long or some shit.

So tonight or tomorrow.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the first time I've seen and heard him speak just being himself and not in his Taker persona. It's amazing how different he sounds from his gimmick speaking normally and how relaxed he is.

Great interview, his background was interesting and how Ole Anderson said no-one would pay to ever see him!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sting Untold doc and the Undertaker/Austin pod were both top notch and one of the reasons I have the network. Shows like that keep me in.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's gotta be enough stories for 100 of podcasts between the two.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Taker/Austin was a bit special. Taker finally doing a long sit down out of kayfabe chat about his career is one thing. Austin being the one to interview him is another.

Austin getting well in to the footage of Taker returning as the ABA at Judgment Day was class

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker talking about how he was afraid to become Shower Boy or Egg man is classic. Had me laughing out loud

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    So tonight is Starrcade.

Rusev vs Bobby Lashley in a Last Man Standing match and 4 team women's tag match has been announced. Plus, Ric Flair is going to star on The Kevin Owens Show.

I'm not really looking forward to this

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starrcade felt like the first hour of Raw.

I thought for sure we'd get to see the Fiend-Strowman cage match. It's showing us matches like that which will bring in new subscribers and satisfy the current ones. But naw....more Rusev-Lashley-Lana. wtf.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel bad, the cage match was described as "the shortest cage match in history".

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The match is uploaded to youtube and it's literally 90 seconds long haha. Bray starts off with offense, then Braun takes over throws him in the cage a couple times. Bray reverses the powerslam and throws Braun into the cage and then escapes. Not sure why they cut it so short.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    The match is uploaded to youtube and it's literally 90 seconds long haha. Bray starts off with offense, then Braun takes over throws him in the cage a couple times. Bray reverses the powerslam and throws Braun into the cage and then escapes. Not sure why they cut it so short.
    Probably to keep both looking strong. Longer the match goes, someone's gonna look weak.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably to keep both looking strong. Longer the match goes, someone's gonna look weak.
    it's a house show though so I don't think that would be an issue. might as well not book the match if that's the concern

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the hell was the point of it being a cage match in the first place? Lol. 90 seconds? I mean, originally it was supposed to be Fiend v. The Miz in a cage and Strowman v. Nakamura IC championship match. So idk if the change up was worth it and again, why a cage match? Seems like they're just bringing the cage for these super short matches because wasn't the Fiend v. Drew dark match after Raw also a cage match? Weird.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so Braun doesn't take the fall is probably why. But again don't do Braun vs Bray if you only want to give them a 90 second match lol.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Wasn't Starrcade quite known for the cage match?

Even so, sounds bloody stupid to me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Wasn't Starrcade quite known for the cage match?

Even so, sounds bloody stupid to me.
    I'm not 100% sure. It looks like the WWE version the last couple years has had a few and some of the older Starrcades from the 80's had a few so that could very well be the case!

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    it's a house show though so I don't think that would be an issue. might as well not book the match if that's the concern
    A lot of Braun's booking has seemed to be "Well we don't want him to lose clean" so it's like then why book him into scenarios where he has to lose?

Don't want him to lose, but also don't want Brock to lose the title, so they have Corbin hit him with a belt. Want Roman to win the EC, so they have Strowman run through everyone first only to eat a spear. Get him counted out in a Survivor Series match. I don't think WWE really know what they want to do with Strowman, but they try to make him strong until they figure it all out.

I would have rather seen Strowman face two other big dudes from RAW and NXT at Survivor Series, maybe Rowan and I dunno who's big on NXT, maybe Keith Lee.

I'm holding out hope that they will run with a Wyatt/Strowman program, with Strowman being the one to dethrone the champion.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm holding out hope that they will run with a Wyatt/Strowman program, with Strowman being the one to dethrone the champion.
    I am actually expecting Strowman to be one of his obstacles on the way to mania which means Bray beats Strowman clean at Royal Rumble

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of Braun's booking has seemed to be "Well we don't want him to lose clean" so it's like then why book him into scenarios where he has to lose?

Don't want him to lose, but also don't want Brock to lose the title, so they have Corbin hit him with a belt. Want Roman to win the EC, so they have Strowman run through everyone first only to eat a spear. Get him counted out in a Survivor Series match. I don't think WWE really know what they want to do with Strowman, but they try to make him strong until they figure it all out.

I would have rather seen Strowman face two other big dudes from RAW and NXT at Survivor Series, maybe Rowan and I dunno who's big on NXT, maybe Keith Lee.

I am as well. I think the easiest booking plan would be to have Strowman win the Rumble and dethrone Fiend at Mania. There isn't really anyone, including Roman Reigns, that I see beating Fiend for the title unless it's Strowman.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am as well. I think the easiest booking plan would be to have Strowman win the Rumble and dethrone Fiend at Mania. There isn't really anyone, including Roman Reigns, that I see beating Fiend for the title unless it's Strowman.
    I think PurePlayer's thinking is the right thing. Roman Reigns will dethrone Wyatt at WrestleMania. Strowman will unfortunately be a stepping stone.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think PurePlayer's thinking is the right thing. Roman Reigns will dethrone Wyatt at WrestleMania. Strowman will unfortunately be a stepping stone.
    I don't think Roman will dethrone him at mania either.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Roman will dethrone him at mania either.
    I think a lot of people are looking at Roman Reigns and rightfully so. They've kept him out of the World title picture since he's returned. I heard that he's not even full time so maybe they don't want to put the belt on him in case something with his health kicks up again.....

Right now there isn't a damn person on Smackdown's roster other than Strowman and to an extent Roman Reigns that I see ending The Fiend's reign. I also hope it's not some bullshit where he loses it without getting pinned like Elimination Chamber or a triple threat type match.

Who knows, maybe Cesaro and his new look of guy who can't find pants long enough=new WWE champ?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Before Lesnar moved to RAW, I had a jolly good time picturing Lesnar German suplexing Wyatt over and over again, with Wyatt getting up after each one.

Don't like Bray Wyatt, so whoever does end up beating him, I hope they do so in dominant fashion and not a fluke win.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before Lesnar moved to RAW, I had a jolly good time picturing Lesnar German suplexing Wyatt over and over again, with Wyatt getting up after each one.

Don't like Bray Wyatt, so whoever does end up beating him, I hope they do so in dominant fashion and not a fluke win.
    So you're against James Ellsworth returning and getting the W via roll up?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So you're against James Ellsworth returning and getting the W via roll up?
    That I'd be down with because that would be so fucking funny.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Steve Austin's podcast next guest will be... Goldberg!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    What are your Network subscription/viewing habits?

Recently, I've joined the 21st Century and got myself Spotify and I'm currently at the start of the free Amazon Video 30 day trial. I have Netflix, Sky Sports etc. And seeing as I mostly moan about WWE, I'm going to cancel my Network subscription after Christmas. If I do it after the 26th, I think I'll still get the Rumble. Plan really is to just watch that and get it again for 'Mania.

Watching every WWE PPV there's ever been has just been a bad habit for me. I've watched less and less of the Network over the years having had it from the launch. Only thing I'll miss is NXT. We only get the 2 hour Wednesday show in the UK on the Network. If I was in the US, I'd have cancelled as soon as NXT went to the USA Network. And from Network subscriber numbers, it's clear a lot of people did exactly that.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've subscribed to the WWE Network since day 1. I may have cancelled for a month when I wasn't working and wanted to save money, but can't really remember if I actually did that or not. I will always be a subscriber. If they do tier services, I will buy the most expensive one, because I will support the company until I die. That's how much the world of WWE means to me.

As for my viewing habits, I tend to think of random moments in WWE history and try to find which RAW, Smackdown or PPV it was from. The search feature helps a little with that. Also, I mostly re-watch PPVs from 1990-1996, as that's my favorite period as a fan by far.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I was once almost as much of a die hard fan as you are, Donald.

As to old PPVs, my favourite era, like most people I guess, is the one I grew up with. For me, 1995 through to 2001 is my era. And I have all the PPVs from 1985 up until about 2002 on DVD and most other decent ones from 2003 to 2013 on DVD/Blu-ray. So really, the Network just isn't worth it for me anymore.

And moving away from watching it every week, I've discovered far better things to do with my time and I've been far happier. I sound like a simpleton here, but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The network started up just as my interest was starting to wane, so I never really subscribed for more than a month at a time when I wanted to see one of the big PPVs. Like Murphy I don't watch it much anymore and I don't miss it. That's definitely not something I though I'd ever say.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I'd have been as happy as a pig in shit if the Network was around back in the day.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Back in the day, I wanted a wrestling channel, something like MTV that just aired wrestling all day. This Network is 100% better than anything I ever imagined. You may laugh, but wrestling's gotten me through some tough times. Even on the darkest of days, I would say to myself "Well at least the Royal Rumble is coming up" Always gave me something to look forward to.

I don't watch as much wrestling as I used to. RAW was never missed, Smackdown would occasionally watch, but now I don't watch either really. An episode here or there, but there's much more going on in my life than when I was a wee lad - my 20s. That's why I think the Network is great, I can choose when I want to watch something.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Nothing wrong with having something to look forward to.

In the UK, I was hyped when The Wrestling Channel launched in 2004ish. That was a mental concept at the time. All companies were on there, except WWE, and this was at a time when my interest in WWE was first starting to wane. Loved TNA at the time and there was ROH, Japan and RF shoot interviews. Excellent.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be watching at all if the Network didn't launch when it did. I stopped watching the TV shows regularly at some point in 2009, and therefore pretty much only caught the big 3 PPV's on Box Office, or the free ones that they'd have on Sky Sports. That year for example, I know for sure I've never seen the Cena/Orton I Quit or Cell matches, but definitely caught the Iron Man match and the Summerslam match. Bret's return got me back into it weekly for 'Mania season. 2010, post-Extreme Rules, I think I caught the Old School Raw and not much else. None of the PPV's, would flick over if I stopped up for Monday Night Football. Watched Raw during 'Mania season as usual. The Pipe Bomb got me watching Raw week to week, but I only bought the big 3 PPV's and watched the free ones still. I think the period between that promo and the Network launching was largely a good one, with Punk, Bryan, The Shield, early Wyatt Family and Ziggler looking potential top tier, Cena still around, Brock, Rock and 'Taker special attractions etc. There was a bit between the Punk arc ending at WM29 and the Bryan arc beginning around the Gauntlet match that flagged a bit, but other than that the programme felt focused around stars that felt like big deals. The Batista Rumble win was a misstep, but they launched the Network and created a massive amount of goodwill those first few months. It felt interesting to be a wrestling fan again. Wrestlemania was an incredible piece of business, the Rollins turn, that Brock squash of Cena, the Sting debut at the end of the Authority programme.

Then, I don't think they've had a worse creative period than December through til Wrestlemania. Killed the show dead for me. In dribs and drabs (post brand split 2 through that 'Mania mainly) it's been good, but that was just a terrible period for absolutely icing top acts and storylines dead. In that period, they ruined the Survivor Series ending by bringing the Authority back, had Ambrose snuffed out as a top babyface by losing to an exploding telly, neutered Reigns following his return to TV and had him die on his arse at the Rumble by entering without any positive heat, turned Sting vs. Triple H into WWF vs. WCW, made Bray Wyatt look a complete loser in his stuff with 'Taker, defanged Ziggler, gave up on Luke Harper, threw Daniel Bryan back into the midcard despite being the most over man in the company by a country mile, etc. The fact that it was a bell to bell great show papered the cracks, and if it wasn't for the PPV's being strong wrestling shows I'd have packed it in. Week to week I was done, and am besides 'Mania season nowadays. Cancelled the Network after Money in the Bank as I wasn't watching the PPV's, watched the first Smackdown on FOX, it sucked, watched the Saudi show with a free and don't think I've seen another WWE show since I cancelled. I think I accidentally let it roll over for a month so I'll probably flick something on over Christmas, but after that I think I'm over it. Unless I read about an angle that looks promising ahead of the Rumble, I don't think I can be arsed to commit to 'Mania season. At this point I've seen all the good wrestling I need to in my lifetime, so if the characters aren't there I don't see the value in continuing to watch.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    I use the Network to watch old 90s shows. Current product doesn't interest me in the slightest and hasn't for around a decade.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to pull up their end of year collections for their list of matches of the year?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I wouldn't be watching at all if the Network didn't launch when it did. I stopped watching the TV shows regularly at some point in 2009, and therefore pretty much only caught the big 3 PPV's on Box Office, or the free ones that they'd have on Sky Sports. That year for example, I know for sure I've never seen the Cena/Orton I Quit or Cell matches, but definitely caught the Iron Man match and the Summerslam match. Bret's return got me back into it weekly for 'Mania season. 2010, post-Extreme Rules, I think I caught the Old School Raw and not much else. None of the PPV's, would flick over if I stopped up for Monday Night Football. Watched Raw during 'Mania season as usual. The Pipe Bomb got me watching Raw week to week, but I only bought the big 3 PPV's and watched the free ones still. I think the period between that promo and the Network launching was largely a good one, with Punk, Bryan, The Shield, early Wyatt Family and Ziggler looking potential top tier, Cena still around, Brock, Rock and 'Taker special attractions etc. There was a bit between the Punk arc ending at WM29 and the Bryan arc beginning around the Gauntlet match that flagged a bit, but other than that the programme felt focused around stars that felt like big deals. The Batista Rumble win was a misstep, but they launched the Network and created a massive amount of goodwill those first few months. It felt interesting to be a wrestling fan again. Wrestlemania was an incredible piece of business, the Rollins turn, that Brock squash of Cena, the Sting debut at the end of the Authority programme.

Then, I don't think they've had a worse creative period than December through til Wrestlemania. Killed the show dead for me. In dribs and drabs (post brand split 2 through that 'Mania mainly) it's been good, but that was just a terrible period for absolutely icing top acts and storylines dead. In that period, they ruined the Survivor Series ending by bringing the Authority back, had Ambrose snuffed out as a top babyface by losing to an exploding telly, neutered Reigns following his return to TV and had him die on his arse at the Rumble by entering without any positive heat, turned Sting vs. Triple H into WWF vs. WCW, made Bray Wyatt look a complete loser in his stuff with 'Taker, defanged Ziggler, gave up on Luke Harper, threw Daniel Bryan back into the midcard despite being the most over man in the company by a country mile, etc. The fact that it was a bell to bell great show papered the cracks, and if it wasn't for the PPV's being strong wrestling shows I'd have packed it in. Week to week I was done, and am besides 'Mania season nowadays. Cancelled the Network after Money in the Bank as I wasn't watching the PPV's, watched the first Smackdown on FOX, it sucked, watched the Saudi show with a free and don't think I've seen another WWE show since I cancelled. I think I accidentally let it roll over for a month so I'll probably flick something on over Christmas, but after that I think I'm over it. Unless I read about an angle that looks promising ahead of the Rumble, I don't think I can be arsed to commit to 'Mania season. At this point I've seen all the good wrestling I need to in my lifetime, so if the characters aren't there I don't see the value in continuing to watch.
    This post was cathartic for me just reading the fucker.

I still keep the network for the vault like V6 said but I dont really watch much WWE these days. Or much wrestling at all.

WWE needs a production overhaul as well as a creative one and neither is happening until Vince dies. AEW was not what I was hoping for as it just turned out to be a darlings of indie-wrestling handjob superfest with no stories, no explanations, really bad working punches and just a bunch of poorly trained young men who want so badly to be a wrestler they'll jump off of anything.

NXT is amazing but its hard to get invested when the whole object is to build guys up so they can ruin them on one of the other two shows.

Just kind of done with modern wrestling atm.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Brilliant point Fanny Batter about the Network and not watching anymore if it hadn't launched. Same for me, totally. There's just no way I'd have been paying out for all those shitty insignificant PPVs. I wasn't even ordering SummerSlam or Survivor Series anymore a few years back. Then the Network came along and I caught up on all the PPVs I'd missed since Sky started putting most of them on PPV instead of Sky Sports. Now all these years later and I still have the bloody Network.

I did watch the Goldberg/Austin podcast last night and really enjoyed it. But there's not enough there to keep me on board.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wonder if years like 2007 just fried them out in terms of direction, based on the format being a live, episodic TV show in an era of high spots and cracked down health policies. High spots increase injuries, injuries increase the reliance of pain medication. In a post-Eddie world, while trying to still pull in car crash TV viewers and compete with the high work rate expectations of their contemporaries, it was catastrophic. The 5 nights a week working high octane matches isn't sustainable, and the high risk of injury due to the schedule made long term planning impossible.

Start of the year, the scheduled 'Mania main event goes down with Triple H's injury. Of the 6 actual main events at 'Mania, Cena, Undertaker and Michaels all end up on the shelf that year, the former 2 leading to impromptu title changes. One of which doesn't involve the intended "next big thing" Mr Kennedy because he himself goes down with injury. They do a draft to try and re-establish a balance, Lashley leaves in the midst of a main event push, and Chris Benoit commits a double murder suicide. Then Edge, himself the impromptu replacement champion for 'Taker and presumably Kennedy goes down and has to vacate. Less significantly, Matt Hardy goes down during the hottest midcard feud with MVP. This all leads to a desperation Great Khali vs. Batista title feud that probably killed Smackdown dead. The era was more about the return angle than anything else.

How, as a team of bookers and writers, can this kind of scenario be rescued? Similar happened in the run up to 'Mania 32. You have all these plans then all of a sudden you lose your dream match (surely Sting or Cena vs. Taker that year), which may have featured your biggest star), your champion gets injured so you have to scramble together a new angle come Survivor Series. All long term planning out the window.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of this is probably why most wrestling fans stop watching once we hit about 14-15 lol.

Some of us had the rare chance of being a young young kid in the 80's and a teenager in the 90's. To a kid like my son born in 2001, shit he even got sick of the Roman Reigns push. But just the other day we were talking about how they edited Dean Ambrose's name out of the Shield debut vid WWE posted and he was like, yeah when The Shield broke up wrestling hasn't recovered.

So from his perspective, I can't disagree. We've had some cool shit here and there since then, but it was definitely a faster downward spiral. It's been too much about the brand and not about the quality of the product.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    watching halloween havoc 1997. i've actually never watched a full ppv from WCW's top years. this was one of their top drawing shows, and i figure even if everything else sucks, at least i'll watch eddie/rey again. this yuji nagata vs. ultimo dragon opener is really good though, and crowd surprisingly into it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    watching halloween havoc 1997. i've actually never watched a full ppv from WCW's top years. this was one of their top drawing shows, and i figure even if everything else sucks, at least i'll watch eddie/rey again. this yuji nagata vs. ultimo dragon opener is really good though, and crowd surprisingly into it.
    There's also a pretty good Jedo/Chris Jericho match pretty early on. There's one majorly unsightly botch of something by Jedo, but otherwise, they do some decent work.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    GAB 96, Spring Stampede 99 and Fall Brawl 96 are all good shows that are well worth watching too.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    the whole show was actually very good, in spite of two bad matches. eddie/rey was even better than i remembered. eddie was out of control good. it seemed like every single move he hit in that match was the best execution of that move ever seen in wrestling.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    just looking through the 1998 WCW ppv chronology ... totally insane that during goldberg's entire title run, the only time he main evented a PPV was halloween havoc when the feed cut mid-match, and starrcade when he lost the title.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    just looking through the 1998 WCW ppv chronology ... totally insane that during goldberg's entire title run, the only time he main evented a PPV was halloween havoc when the feed cut mid-match, and starrcade when he lost the title.
    And that’s where WCW failed and WWE succeeded. They had two hot champions in Austin and Goldberg. WWE pushed Austin to the moon even when he lost it at Breakdown so he had to chase again whereas NWO was still the primary focus despite Goldberg being champ and they ran the NWO train into the ground and then some.
    Last edited by Badger; December 28th, 2019 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Table for 3 with Godfather, Henry and D-Lo was a fun watch, especially learning about the history of the People’s Elbow. I remember the show where D-Lo first gave the name on the move on commentary but did not know the move itself came about as a result of Rock messing up an elbow then they just rolled with it lol.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Is there a way to pull up their end of year collections for their list of matches of the year?
    help?

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Table for 3 with Godfather, Henry and D-Lo was a fun watch, especially learning about the history of the People’s Elbow. I remember the show where D-Lo first gave the name on the move on commentary but did not know the move itself came about as a result of Rock messing up an elbow then they just rolled with it lol.
    Yeah, that was dope. Never knew that about the move. Also just really cool to hear them talk about the Nation and what it meant to them and black wrestlers, etc.. Mark getting choked talking about that older dude was touching.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Yeah, that was dope. Never knew that about the move. Also just really cool to hear them talk about the Nation and what it meant to them and black wrestlers, etc.. Mark getting choked talking about that older dude was touching.
    Silvabeard as well as Silvaback. You’d have a heart of stone not to love Big Mawk.

One of the other things that was interesting was that none of them knew why Owen was asked to join the Nation. Just goes to show how Vince liked to keep his cards close to his chest.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also rewatching these old Hurricane/Rock segments, they were so good. It would’ve been great if they got at least a short odd couple tag title run, as good as if not better than Team Hell No. Either way, their interaction was great.
    Last edited by Badger; December 28th, 2019 at 8:37 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Mark was teary eyed when D'lo was talking about Owen as well. Really good watch. I love Mark Henry so much.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It seems to only happen with the WWE Network, but I'll be watching shows, for an hour or two, then my TV randomly decides to restart. It happened when I tried to watch Starrcade, and also the 1990 Survivor Series.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    NXT and NXT UK to air in the UK on BT Sport, with NXT airing live. Confirms me cancelling The Network that does, along with many others in the UK, I’d say.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Let's not be hasty mate, maybe we can trade my wwe network for your BT app login lolz

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think PPV's will be on Box Office (presumably £20 like McGregor and Fury fights?), but if it is like those fights they'd go up in the BT player within a week or so. It'll be interesting to see what BT do with the rights, was probably a smart play for WWE to go elsewhere as the Sky deal has pretty much been dead since the last contract where they sold them on the potential PPV revenue then launched the Network, Sky haven't really been fussed since then I don't think. There's so much content every week (8 hours of first run TV... insane) that makes it impossible to make use of the Network anyway if you watch all of it.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Let's not be hasty mate, maybe we can trade my wwe network for your BT app login lolz
    Ha, good point.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Finally cancelled my Network subscription. Plan is to spend £40 a year on it now and not £120.

WWE on BT Sport might not be too bad for me. So far, NXT, Smackdown and Raw are all available on demand pretty much straight away. Not that I watch Raw or Smackdown, but things could improve. Not only that, but BT has been showing Network programming too. They showed the Becky 24 special the other day and BT has done their own 'No Filter' show, which followed the crew around during the last UK tour. I've not seen it yet, but the 'No Filter' show is excellent with BTs football coverage.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Finally cancelled my Network subscription. Plan is to spend £40 a year on it now and not £120.

WWE on BT Sport might not be too bad for me. So far, NXT, Smackdown and Raw are all available on demand pretty much straight away. Not that I watch Raw or Smackdown, but things could improve. Not only that, but BT has been showing Network programming too. They showed the Becky 24 special the other day and BT has done their own 'No Filter' show, which followed the crew around during the last UK tour. I've not seen it yet, but the 'No Filter' show is excellent with BTs football coverage.
    What's your PayPal handle, I'll send you $10 or the equivalent in pounds a month so you can enjoy the glorious WWE.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I love you, Donald.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Broken Skulls session interview with Kane. Such a nice humble guy. Might even pick up the Mayor Kane book.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I mayor maynot buy the book

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Yeah, must catch that before my sub ends. Imagine his story will be super interesting.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Your sub will never end #subliminalmessaging @Murphy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Now I have a PS4, Donald, it is quite dreamy, I must admit.

Before I was either watching on an I-pad or hooking my phone up to the TV. Right kerfuffle.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watching old RAWs. Just love seeing late 97 Kane. Makes me smile.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the Broken Skull Session really made me miss old school Kane. Everything before he switched to the half mask/buckles gear in '03. He used to be so goddamn cool.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the Broken Skull Session really made me miss old school Kane. Everything before he switched to the half mask/buckles gear in '03. He used to be so goddamn cool.
    Those old designs they showed where he was going to wear a cape were kinda cool, but maybe a little on the cheesy side. Probably better off they ditched the cape.

I wonder if the breathing problems he had could’ve been solved by making the mouth slot a little bigger without going full half-mask.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fuck you Kane for changing your look.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those old designs they showed where he was going to wear a cape were kinda cool, but maybe a little on the cheesy side. Probably better off they ditched the cape.

I wonder if the breathing problems he had could’ve been solved by making the mouth slot a little bigger without going full half-mask.
    I always thought he should have had some sort of ring jacket. Taker has had all these dope robes and jackets and trenchcoats and shit to wear for his entrance and Kane didn't get the cape and then just had a towel for a bit and that silly welder's mask for a couple weeks and that's it. Dude deserved some cool-ass leather, studded, flame motif jackets, man...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kane from 97-2000 was so badass. His booking of actually being a monster and look. one of my favorite moments of his in 2000 was when he came back with Paul Bearer and destroyed everyone and then the following smackdown tombstoned Tori. He was legit getting better reactions than almost anyone else including the Rock during those moments.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those early masks had to fucking suck when it comes to breathing. I don't know how masked wrestlers do it. No wonder Sin Cara was botching so much he could barely breathe lol.

But they had to play off that whole "I'm covered in burns!" aspect of his gimmick which later on we find out that it was all in his head and he wasn't fucked up looking at all. I was expecting some Ralph Maccio in the Outsiders type shit or even some Freddy Krueger level make up.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought he should have had some sort of ring jacket. Taker has had all these dope robes and jackets and trenchcoats and shit to wear for his entrance and Kane didn't get the cape and then just had a towel for a bit and that silly welder's mask for a couple weeks and that's it. Dude deserved some cool-ass leather, studded, flame motif jackets, man...
    That would've been amazing.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm watching an old episode of WWECW, from October 2008, and Miz and Morrison tell the Young Bucks (Dressed as DX) that they are the elite of elite.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    2008 DX was so bad.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching an old episode of WWECW, from October 2008, and Miz and Morrison tell the Young Bucks (Dressed as DX) that they are the elite of elite.
    I just looked up a couple images of the segment. That's fucking hilarious. And frightening with the foreshadowing.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just looked up a couple images of the segment. That's fucking hilarious. And frightening with the foreshadowing.
    Well it was Miz and Morrison saying they (Miz and Morrison) are elite. Just funny them telling the future The Elite that.

And on the RAW after is when the real DX faces Miz and Morrison, and in the promo before the match, they bring up Miz's high school photo and Triple H says he looks like he's ready for the Kentucky Derby, and then adds in "No Offense Lillian". Ugh. Then he makes a joke about Miz and Morrison being gay to end it. I don't think any of that would fly in today's WWE, and that stuff was only 11 years ago!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it was Miz and Morrison saying they (Miz and Morrison) are elite. Just funny them telling the future The Elite that.

And on the RAW after is when the real DX faces Miz and Morrison, and in the promo before the match, they bring up Miz's high school photo and Triple H says he looks like he's ready for the Kentucky Derby, and then adds in "No Offense Lillian". Ugh. Then he makes a joke about Miz and Morrison being gay to end it. I don't think any of that would fly in today's WWE, and that stuff was only 11 years ago!
    Oh yeah I remember the Triple H remark because it kind of went over everyone's head. And it made zero sense BUT this is why people shouldn't be shocked when Triple H cracks a joke on Paige for being an idiot.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I mean Triple H is the one going around telling everyone to suck it, should he really be making gay jokes?

Last edited by Donald; January 23rd, 2020 at 2:21 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like a certain someone?

With flames tattooed on his head, brother!

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rewatched Orton vs Foley from Backlash 04.

Best Orton match ever? It’s certainly up there. Deliciously brutal.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rewatched Orton vs Foley from Backlash 04.

Best Orton match ever? It’s certainly up there. Deliciously brutal.
    All I remember is that look on Randy's face when he hit the thumbtacks.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    All I remember is that look on Randy's face when he hit the thumbtacks.
    Like he woke up and realised he just shat all over the bed in his sleep. It was fantastic.

Orton was born a man that night. Never expected they’d have him go through tacks as well as Foley.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And he ran to the back to have them pulled out, SO FAST.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    And he ran to the back to have them pulled out, SO FAST.
    They were "brawling to the backstage area" and almost all the tacks magically disappear when he comes back out!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    watching greed, wcw's last ppv. the cruiserweight tag title match is really good, and remarkable in style for the time.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    So if WWE are looking to sell the rights to PPVs to a streaming service, like is being reported, that makes the WWE Network pretty pointless to most folk.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if WWE are looking to sell the rights to PPVs to a streaming service, like is being reported, that makes the WWE Network pretty pointless to most folk.
    Well, there would still be the library so it's not entirely useless. The companies that have always been rumored to be added to the Network could now be added to help try to keep people.

I would really be shocked if they moved all of the PPVs to a platform like DAZN, ESPN+, Peacock (which would be my presumed guess for where they go since they're already partnered with NBCU). I'd be shocked for all of them, but I wouldn't be shocked if the big four went that route. There'd just have to be a fundamental overhaul of how WWE is booked each month for them to hype matches more in advance for people to actually shell out more money. It makes more sense for the big four. You're still going to have to shell out a flat fee for the service if they go to a new one AND have to pay for the PPV. I don't know how they expect their audience to pay for the network, potentially buy a new service, and then shell out money each month for a PPV.

This idea either was the divide that Vince had with the recently fired execs because they were the figureheads for the Network and the idea of the tiered system, or this is a desperate selling point to try to keep investors invested in the company.

Macro wise, it tells me they're looking to take the money and provide themselves a bigger safety net. If they had established, surefire stars on their roster, I highly doubt they'd be going this route.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; February 6th, 2020 at 6:46 PM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Eh, I don't think I'm going to sign up to any extra services to watch PPVs. Hopefully they'll put them up on the Network like a day later or something, and see if I can avoid spoilers.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah not a fan of this idea. This is what is going to happen with all these streaming services. People right now think it's this great thing until they realize they have 15 streaming services, paying more for what you were paying for cable or satellite because of all the content being spread around.

If you took all my streaming services (Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, Prime, and the WWE Network) plus what it costs for internet, I'm paying just as much as I was when I had a decent cable package 2-3 years ago.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I they move all the PPVs to another service, it could kill the Network. Making the big four available on a different service while still keeping them on the Network seems like a far better idea.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greed. I think if they moved the PPV's behind a paywall on the Network for 5 or 10 dollars a pop, they'd probably gain a little revenue. Anything more and people will just drop the Network AND not bother with the PPV's. They must be mad. 7 hours of "A show" wrestling every week and they think people will be arsed to pay more than a tenner a month to watch any more? Fuck off.