User Tag List

Page 1062 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 10521058105910601061106210631064106510661072 ... LastLast
Results 106,101 to 106,200 of 108985

Thread: ***Official*** English Football Discussion Thread

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great start from Northern Ireland. To have any chance (and we don't really) we needed to win both of those. Belarus were decent last night, Hleb still absolute class.

Wales you would think should be ok for 2nd at least.

Heard talk about the Republic and how Denmark away is their hardest game. I dunno Switzerland can be tricky enough. Would be surprised if they finished above them.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Hleb still plays huh, Had no idea

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Great start from Northern Ireland. To have any chance (and we don't really) we needed to win both of those. Belarus were decent last night, Hleb still absolute class.

Wales you would think should be ok for 2nd at least.

Heard talk about the Republic and how Denmark away is their hardest game. I dunno Switzerland can be tricky enough. Would be surprised if they finished above them.
    Aye Switzerland gave England a good game in the friendly last year especially in the first half as I recall.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine when fifa say Cardiff have to play and then they try and play the sympathy card again on the anniversary.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Hleb still plays huh, Had no idea
    He played for that farmer team that beat Arsenal last month.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Ah right I'm fairly insular with only bothering about Derby these days

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Former Derby players scores for England

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Imagine when fifa say Cardiff have to play and then they try and play the sympathy card again on the anniversary.
    Just reading up on this, cunts.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what point do I allow myself to believe?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    ITS FUCKING COMING HOME JP!

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Well that's OGS with the permanent job.

As excited as I have been during the run, I do agree with some of the concerns from Alex. The thing I'm more hoping for is that United gets in that rumored director of football who will help actually give them a solid transfer plan.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    He got the job on a nonsense handball call. It'll all end in tears.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    What’s going on with Andy Cole’s face? Has he been stung by bees?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I know he was very Ill a couple of years ago through a virus but other than that no idea.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good win last night. We look in decent form, great timing especially with Spurs imploding

Still, it is all very tight for top 4 and 5 of our 7 games left are away.

Missing Ramsey already

Simon
    Completely our own fault. Fucked the stadium issue up so we're now going into the business end of the season with no opportunity to get used to the pitch, and fucked the transfer window up. We're struggling in games because we're not good enough in the exact positions where it was blatantly obvious we needed to improve - full back and centre mid.

It's all well and good moaning about Sissoko missing that chance (fair play to VVD, one of the best bits of defending I've ever seen - regardless of who wins the league, he should be Player of the Year by an absolute mile) but, even with his vast improvement this season, he has no business being a regular starter for a top four side. He should be our John O'Shea, a squad player capable of doing a reasonable job in a variety of positions. Instead he's expected to be our Roy Keane, and he's not up to it.

As for Lloris...Tottenham fans have been saying it for a couple of years and the media are just starting to catch on - he's just not a very good keeper any more, and the odd amazing reflex save doesn't change that. I saw a stat earlier saying he's made almost twice as many mistakes leading directly to goals as the next worst in the PL, with 11 to Pickford's 6. He has almost double the number of mistakes not leading directoy to goals as well.

With Vorm retiring I don't see Lloris being sold (particularly as he's still club captain and a big part of the dressing room) but we would have to be mad not to look at replacing him as number one next year. Butland maybe, or is he shit now? I've not heard anything about him in ages so he can't be having a great season. Bare minimum in the summer is a new right back, a new centre mid and a new goalkeeper. Good luck making those signings if we've fucked the CL.

Wednesday should in theory be an easy game against Palace, but with all the pressure now on us, it will be that much more difficult - and the last thing we need is a bad result in the first game at the new stadium, immediately putting pressure on the following games to avoid more talk of a hoodoo.

We've fucked it basically. Still think we will get top four as Chelsea are shit and Arsenal are still rubbish away from home, but it shouldn't even be something we're discussing.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon I was in the kop and 2nd half when you was lining up I was thinking, fuck me Spurs 11 is quality. Shame you didn’t stay with us and city in the title race (not a dig).
    Last edited by Chris Scott; April 2nd, 2019 at 5:30 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    1000 words from Runedge incoming about how it was still the right decision to hire the guy that relegated Cardiff.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    1000 words from Runedge incoming about how it was still the right decision to hire the guy that relegated Cardiff.
    As opposed to who? Pochettino? lol

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought might be interesting to talk about some of the players potentially on the move this summer and where they may go. WIll do batches of 2-4

Ryan Sessegnon - Think his reputation has taken a bit of a hit this year probably unfairly but when you see that pass for his assist yesterday it just screams quality to me. I think he goes this summer he has 1 year left on his deal but where to? Spurs and Livepool have been touted for a while but I would be surprised if Arsenal aren't in for him. Would give them options at wing back if they did go 3 at the back and he's dynamic and young enough that he fits the mould of what they are trying to do as well as for him being much more chance of game time. Completely left field suggestions? Leicester or Wolves.

Mitrovic - Rumours of him staying but can't see it. Would see a line of clubs after him this summer. Promoted clubs would be sniffing you assume. Burnley if they stay up?

Grealish - If Villa get promoted he stays I think. Honestly think he loves the club and wouldn't jump immediately if they go up. If they don't I think he has to move on right? Even just for Villa to not go bankrupt like last year Spurs seems like it's nailed on for him but I can't help but wonder if United might have an eye on him

Wan-Bissaka : Seems like he has pretty much has his pick. I would think he could see off Trippier at Spurs. Can't see Arsenal being too involved unless Bellerin is off. They don't seem to have that much cash and Bellerin is pretty solid if not a bit over-rated. Spurs or United seems to be the talk. Both of which moves him higher up the pecking order for England. Couldn't see him going to a non top 6 club if I'm honest

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Grealish is a superstar, I'd love to see him in the Prem and the England squad.

Simon
    Thought might be interesting to talk about some of the players potentially on the move this summer and where they may go. WIll do batches of 2-4

Ryan Sessegnon - Think his reputation has taken a bit of a hit this year probably unfairly but when you see that pass for his assist yesterday it just screams quality to me. I think he goes this summer he has 1 year left on his deal but where to? Spurs and Livepool have been touted for a while but I would be surprised if Arsenal aren't in for him. Would give them options at wing back if they did go 3 at the back and he's dynamic and young enough that he fits the mould of what they are trying to do as well as for him being much more chance of game time. Completely left field suggestions? Leicester or Wolves.

Mitrovic - Rumours of him staying but can't see it. Would see a line of clubs after him this summer. Promoted clubs would be sniffing you assume. Burnley if they stay up?

Grealish - If Villa get promoted he stays I think. Honestly think he loves the club and wouldn't jump immediately if they go up. If they don't I think he has to move on right? Even just for Villa to not go bankrupt like last year Spurs seems like it's nailed on for him but I can't help but wonder if United might have an eye on him

Wan-Bissaka : Seems like he has pretty much has his pick. I would think he could see off Trippier at Spurs. Can't see Arsenal being too involved unless Bellerin is off. They don't seem to have that much cash and Bellerin is pretty solid if not a bit over-rated. Spurs or United seems to be the talk. Both of which moves him higher up the pecking order for England. Couldn't see him going to a non top 6 club if I'm honest
    AWB looks to me like he has all the qualities needed to be one of the best right backs in Europe - I think statistically he is already at that level on most measurements. Whoever buys him, I can't see it being anything other than a bargain even if he costs a fortune, like Van Dijk.

If Villa don't go up I'm sure we will be back in for Grealish, but he isn't a priority unless Eriksen goes.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I thought it was nailed on that Eriksen and Toby would be off. Well, it is for Toby, but I do see Eriksen going too. Not thought much of his form lately, but then that could be said for the majority, I suppose.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    AWB looks to me like he has all the qualities needed to be one of the best right backs in Europe - I think statistically he is already at that level on most measurements. Whoever buys him, I can't see it being anything other than a bargain even if he costs a fortune, like Van Dijk.

If Villa don't go up I'm sure we will be back in for Grealish, but he isn't a priority unless Eriksen goes.
    You said the same about Borthwick-Jackson.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grealish is a superstar, I'd love to see him in the Prem and the England squad.
    so i assumed it was him that southgate was referencing when talking about Rice and how there was others close to the squad in a similar position?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWB looks great defensively, but his attacking game is lacking a bit. He'd be a quality signing for many teams but to get in that "one of the best in Europe" conversation, you normally need that attacking side to your game. When you think of all the top full backs in the world today, they all excel in the attacking department. Probably more than their defensive skills.
    Having said that, I'll gladly take him at United. Defensively we're garbage right now and AWB is exactly the kind of right back we need. We desperately lack any sort of composure when defending.

EDIT
    Also, getting him (apparently for 40m) along with Toby Alderweireld for 25m would be a great bit of business for us

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    so i assumed it was him that southgate was referencing when talking about Rice and how there was others close to the squad in a similar position?
    Apparently Southgate went to the Villa game at the weekend. I don't really buy the argument with Grealish that he can't be picked because of the league he's in. It's essentially penalising him for his loyalty and commitment to playing week in week out. It's clear he's Prem quality and he's played in the division before.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also that argument doesn't fly when he picked Mason Mount the other time too.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    AWB looks great defensively, but his attacking game is lacking a bit. He'd be a quality signing for many teams but to get in that "one of the best in Europe" conversation, you normally need that attacking side to your game. When you think of all the top full backs in the world today, they all excel in the attacking department. Probably more than their defensive skills.
    Having said that, I'll gladly take him at United. Defensively we're garbage right now and AWB is exactly the kind of right back we need. We desperately lack any sort of composure when defending.
    Yeah fair point, though I don't think he is bad in attack (he's actually a converted winger), it's just that Palace don't really utilise the full backs because everything comes through their wingers. On defensive stats I think he is comfortably rated the best in Europe - obviously they don't tell you everything, but it's interesting that he statistically outperforms so many bigger names across all the big leagues.

Simon
    Apparently Southgate went to the Villa game at the weekend. I don't really buy the argument with Grealish that he can't be picked because of the league he's in. It's essentially penalising him for his loyalty and commitment to playing week in week out. It's clear he's Prem quality and he's played in the division before.
    Do you not think though that playing in a lower division means he won't be as sharp as others? If he was obviously better than the alternatives I'd agree that it would be silly to leave him out, but there is huge competition for places in attacking mid now and if someone like Maddison can't get in despite consistently scoring and creating in the PL, it is difficult to justify calling Grealish up.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I read he used to be a winger. And I guess he's still young enough to develop the attacking side of his game. To be fair to him, I'm talking about this purely from the perspective of trying to be recognised as a top full back, where the attacking aspect of your game will be more attractive. AWB can still be a valuable asset to teams that won't look to him to be the main attacking outlet on the right. He could be a great signing for United, providing we get a right winger as well.

United also have another young right back in Diogo Dalot, who's actually decent going forward but lacking in the defensive department. So it would be interesting to see how the two would get rotated if we signed AWB. I reckon you could probably use him on the right of a back three as well.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England squad is filth atm tbh. Even midfield is looking up with ward prowse and others gaining momentum

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    DAZN announces they have the rights to every Premier League game for the next 3 years.

Guess I'm going to be stuck with them for some time between this, the UCL (of course that might not be a concern for United), Europa (which might also not be a concern for United) and their NFL package. Hopefully their TV app starts working better so I don't have to go through my PS4 to use it. Also hopefully it won't buffer like crazy like it does for some of the really popular games.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set 2 of players

Chilwell - Lots of talk about City. I reckon he stays and big brendy gives him a hug
    David Brooks - Sounds like the sniff will be on this summer. Wouldn't be surprised to even see the likes of Liverpool around him this summer. I think he's decent but is being over hyped atm. I could be wrong I've mainly been seeing highlights so I'm obviously forming opinion on half the picture
    Dan James - The leeds deal looked sewn up but his star has risen in the past 2/3 months. Premiership beckons I think. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Newcastle in because the price seems very decent
    Sturridge - Out of contract. Out of form. Where does he go? He seems 100% a West Ham type signing as they love spunking money up the wall.

Simon
    England squad is filth atm tbh. Even midfield is looking up with ward prowse and others gaining momentum
    Foden really does look the business, I was a bit suspicious of the hype for a while but he looks amazing. Apparently there is another quality right back to add to Wan-Bissaka in Chelsea's Reece James - not seen anything of him myself but those in the know reckon he is brilliant.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foden really does look the business, I was a bit suspicious of the hype for a while but he looks amazing. Apparently there is another quality right back to add to Wan-Bissaka in Chelsea's Reece James - not seen anything of him myself but those in the know reckon he is brilliant.
    the chelsea transfer ban could be a good thing for England as it may move him closer to the squad. depending who the manager is of course

The Rosk
    If we go up (which I think is 9/1 at most bookies currently), then he stays I reckon. No chance he stays if he goes, and the vast majority of the Villa fans would wish him well. He's already stayed longer than most of us expected - he's a Villa boy through and through but he is far, far better than the Championship. He'd be a superstar in the Premier League and would be an asset for anyone. He offers a lot of comfort for the entire team in bringing play forward consistently and confidently.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Don't be a Dave. Absolute moron.

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status...88444115169280

Listen to the whole thing.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arnautovic is a cunt. I mean he's such a dirty snide fucker who thinks he's zlatan Mark 2. Urhh hate the fucker.

Simon
    Absolute bastard of a quiz here if anyone is interested. I'm on 43 out of 50 and about to tap out I think.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quizz...will-ruin-day/

Simon
    FIFA need to investigate Sissoko. I have honestly never seen a player improve as much as him. Even a matter of months ago the praise was still of the "well he's still not great but he's no longer a laughing stock"...for the past couple of months he has been our best player more or less every single game. It's honestly incredible, there's a strong chance he wins our POTY now.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne Hennesseydidn't know what a Nazi Salute was.

Fucking bells.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    DAZN announces they have the rights to every Premier League game for the next 3 years.

Guess I'm going to be stuck with them for some time between this, the UCL (of course that might not be a concern for United), Europa (which might also not be a concern for United) and their NFL package. Hopefully their TV app starts working better so I don't have to go through my PS4 to use it. Also hopefully it won't buffer like crazy like it does for some of the really popular games.
    Yeah, that's not good. It's been shit for Champion's league.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    https://twitter.com/HughWoozencroft/...55851213676544

Seriously what is wrong with people?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twitter need to sort this shit out. It’s mad how you can get away with tweets like that yet you tweet “learn to code” and get your account banned instantly in some cases.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean tweeting it in a concerted effort against journalists who have lost their jobs?

I mean better to give the full context of what it is. If you type learn to code on your own timeline you're not getting banned are you? I know you're not because I've run classes to teach people to learn to code and haven't been banned

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weird thing about twitter is how much sway blue ticks have on it.

If they report things they get shut down a lot quicker normally. It's wild.

They could very easily flag all those posts for review. Sentiment analysis would help too. Automatic ban and removal would be complicated by Hip Hop lyrics tbh but filtering into a review process easy. All day

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean tweeting it in a concerted effort against journalists who have lost their jobs?

I mean better to give the full context of what it is. If you type learn to code on your own timeline you're not getting banned are you? I know you're not because I've run classes to teach people to learn to code and haven't been banned
    I assumed people would already know the context (as you clearly do). The point is, why is that able to get you banned while blatantly racist tweets don't in many cases?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of the context. It's targetted to someone there's a flood of it so they may have already been through a review process so it could even be automated at that stage (the weird Elon Musk name thing was automated I think) where as these posts are on someone's own timeline so less likely to be flagged.

Twitter is normally reactive than pro-active on these from what I've read due to the large number of human stuff that would be needed to work otherwise.

To me they are both dick headed moves. One is clearly worse than the other but both should be resulting in bans or freezes to me. The reason 1 has and 1 hasn't is visibility and reports being amplified potentially by blue tick users

Simon
    What even is this learn to code thing?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue with "learn to code" is this. Twitter says its a form of harassment, and I think that violates their terms of use or something. But people have claimed that there have been instances of account suspensions for tweeting "learn to code" where the person wasn't actually harassing anyone.
    So it seems like Twitter have (at least something close to) zero tolerance on this matter, and will not review the context of the tweet or try to determine whether or not it was actual harassment.

I can understand that you can't really have a automated review system that can sieve through the tweets and determine what's actual racism, death threats or whatever, as the context would probably be hard for it to distinguish. But the same could be said for "learn to code", yet Twitter just said "fuck it, we're gonna ban anyone that tweets it at a journalist, regardless of the context or whether its actually harassment."

There's a shit ton of things being said on Twitter that should be removed. You have racism, people trying to incite hate, people making death threats, etc. Sometimes its said by famous people with blue ticks as well. I'm sure those are clearly visible and probably reported by a ton of people. And it was "learn to code" that they decided to take firm action on.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What even is this learn to code thing?
    https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/learn-to-code

Its a meme now. But the link there kinda explains the story behind it.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Ole's at the wheel!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me how good does it feel.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I don't even know what to say anymore. I don't even know where to begin to fix this team.

Simon
    Proper manager?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could start by looking for replacements for Herrera, Pogba and De Gea at the end of the season when they leave. I can't see them staying around.

Some of these players just can't be arsed anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Proper manager?
    We had two "proper managers" before this one and they couldnt do anything with this shit team.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Proper manager?
    Guess we'll just have to go for Poch again like the initial plan was.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poch ain't gonna want to come here anymore. He's got a good thing going at Spurs, and thats without even having spent any money.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    What you wouldn't love to come manage a team that has a fan base with extremely high expectations and a squad that doesn't match up with those expectations?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But would you leave behind a team that's very much in your own vision already, a team that's arguably better, a club that's growing and has a new stadium? And then there's the thought that the United board already passed up on him when they made Ole the manager. Would you instantly say yes if they came crawling back for you?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    We could start by looking for replacements for Herrera, Pogba and De Gea at the end of the season when they leave. I can't see them staying around.

Some of these players just can't be arsed anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

We had two "proper managers" before this one and they couldnt do anything with this shit team.
    They won trophies

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They won trophies
    That might be partly due to the fact that both of those managers got to manage the team longer than 6 months and got a ton of money to spend in that time.

But either way, that's besides the point. They won trophies and the team's performance as a whole still werent considered good enough. And over the last 6 years, the only thing that hasnt changed is the shit players we have.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Ole been a failure?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simon
    It is a bit mad how many obviously sub-standard players have been continually retained or even had their contracts extended. Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Fellaini, Young, all of them have been considered worthy of multiple contracts.

That honeymoon period feels a long time ago now.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone online once made the point that those guy's contracts get extended because they're shit players. You offer someone like De Gea a new contract and he's going to stall because a player of his quality knows his worth, and will demand more (whether its for more money or just demand the team performs better before he signs). But if you offer someone like Smalling and Jones a new deal, they'd probably sign the first thing that's put in front of them because they dont really have a choice. Its either that or they leave to a lower club.
    And the worst part about that is that we can't even sell these players because no one else can afford Jones and Smalling's wage demands. We have to significantly lower our transfer fee to offset the wage the new club would have to pay.

And I guess this ties in to the other issue we have, which is that we can't attract the top players anymore unless we throw a ton of money at them. No one joins United anymore for footballing reasons, and its seriously messed up our whole wage structure.
    Its kinda annoying that we can't hold onto our best players and can't sell our worst. And we only have ourselves to blame for it.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a bit mad how many obviously sub-standard players have been continually retained or even had their contracts extended. Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Fellaini, Young, all of them have been considered worthy of multiple contracts.

That honeymoon period feels a long time ago now.
    Would any of you give solsjkaer the kind of budget we're talking about to fix this? Right now I wouldn't spend much above what can be brougut in. The squads a mess would sell Fred, pogba, de gea and more if the offers come in and that's probably a couple of hundred million plus wages and those out of contract fuck off leaving lots to spend.

How many sure things can they sign? I would sign Wilson from Bournemouth if it was me and pick 2 or 3 of the young ones to step up into squad. Leaving money for centre backs and a right back.

May leave midfield a mess though

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would any of you give solsjkaer the kind of budget we're talking about to fix this? Right now I wouldn't spend much above what can be brougut in. The squads a mess would sell Fred, pogba, de gea and more if the offers come in and that's probably a couple of hundred million plus wages and those out of contract fuck off leaving lots to spend.

How many sure things can they sign? I would sign Wilson from Bournemouth if it was me and pick 2 or 3 of the young ones to step up into squad. Leaving money for centre backs and a right back.

May leave midfield a mess though
    Would I give him money to spend? I don't know how I'm supposed to answer that. I want to say "yes", but I don't know what he's done to show he would use it wisely. But also, if I say "no", I'm pretty much basing that on a small period, with a team that Van Gaal and Mourinho also struggled with. Which would suggest that Ole would've had to have proven he's a better manager than those two (in the space of 6 months), to justify being given any money. IMO it's unfair to have asked that of him. And if that had to be the case, he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place.

I agree with selling Pogba and De Gea, purely because De Gea's out of contract next year, and Pogba seems like he could be moving on soon anyway. But then those are our best players too. What kind of state does that leave the rest of the squad in? We're shit with those players. We'd be mid table without them, possibly worse.

Simon
    Someone online once made the point that those guy's contracts get extended because they're shit players. You offer someone like De Gea a new contract and he's going to stall because a player of his quality knows his worth, and will demand more (whether its for more money or just demand the team performs better before he signs). But if you offer someone like Smalling and Jones a new deal, they'd probably sign the first thing that's put in front of them because they dont really have a choice. Its either that or they leave to a lower club.
    And the worst part about that is that we can't even sell these players because no one else can afford Jones and Smalling's wage demands. We have to significantly lower our transfer fee to offset the wage the new club would have to pay.

And I guess this ties in to the other issue we have, which is that we can't attract the top players anymore unless we throw a ton of money at them. No one joins United anymore for footballing reasons, and its seriously messed up our whole wage structure.
    Its kinda annoying that we can't hold onto our best players and can't sell our worst. And we only have ourselves to blame for it.
    This idea that you can't sell a player because of their wages is not true. Clubs routinely pay a proportion of an outgoing player's wages to get him out the door if it's offset by a decent fee. If, say, Jones is getting no football and is costing £100k a week, and he won't leave because he's only being offered £60k elsewhere, it makes more sense to cover the other £40k and get rid rather than eat the entire £100k when he's not getting games.

Simon
    Also United's squad might be average at the moment but it isn't "get beaten 4-0 at Everton" bad. So you can't blame it all on previous regimes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This idea that you can't sell a player because of their wages is not true. Clubs routinely pay a proportion of an outgoing player's wages to get him out the door if it's offset by a decent fee. If, say, Jones is getting no football and is costing £100k a week, and he won't leave because he's only being offered £60k elsewhere, it makes more sense to cover the other £40k and get rid rather than eat the entire £100k when he's not getting games.
    Yeah, I kinda just said that in the post you quoted. We can get rid of players, but it costs us to get rid of them. That's why we've always sold our players for less than they're worth. The problem here is that the owners are very much motivated by the financial side of things and won't really want to consider doing that, especially when you then have to go out and buy the replacement.

Also United's squad might be average at the moment but it isn't "get beaten 4-0 at Everton" bad. So you can't blame it all on previous regimes.
    We've had embarrassing losses under previous managers too. This isn't something exclusive to Ole.

Simon
    I dread to think how much we have shelled out on wages for unwanted players because Levy wouldn't drop the price.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But then again, Spurs don't pay out as much on wages compared to us. United have one of the highest wage bills in the world. I think I remember reading that Spurs are one of the best with their wage bills in relation to how the team performs in the league. We're one of the worst.

Simon
    Makes sense, I know that transfer spend has almost no relation to league position historically whereas wages generally correlate very closely.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your defence, you can afford to hold onto your shit players. United's shit players on the other hand get paid more than your best players. It's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just realised with the next two games being City and Chelsea, we could be looking at 8 losses in 10 games.

The Rosk
    Simon is so desperate to say “I told you so you fucking whack job” it’s obvious.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could it be said that Manchester United are in decline?

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Simon is so desperate to say “I told you so you fucking whack job” it’s obvious.
    I prefer not to talk. If I talk I am in big trouble.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho's trending on twitter. Shit's really hit the fan here.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he's not even responsible for transfers and if not you surely want the existing prick out as made some terrible moves of late.

The thought of splooshing 70m on Harry maguire is hilarious to me

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody would have stopped us today. Maybe we are on the up.

We seem to have these games every so often. in the past few weeks we have comfortably beat Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal yet got embarrassed by Newcastle and Fulham.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy in charge (Ed Woodward) is actually an account and investment banker of the Glazers. Apparently he's the one who helped them secure the purchase of the club years ago. So they then gave him the role of CEO or something at United. Normally this role is occupied by someone with some footballing knowledge, where as Woodward knows fuck all and only looks at players who've got marketability. He wants the big marquee signings like Pogba, Sanchez, etc and often mentions in board meetings that he believes our success (or lack thereof) has no effect on our revenue and our ability to grow as a brand. He's been getting a lot of stick over the years and I think we've reached that point again where his name is going to pop up often in the media as the club goes through this "crisis".

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal doing their best to outdo United's shitness in top 4 race. I don't think I have disliked a player as much as Mustafi since Manuel Almunia.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    City is going to drop points in these last 3 games aren't they. Crazy season from both Liverpool and City. Imagine only losing one game all season and not winning the title.

Both teams definitely have been a class above all season.

United is just shite. Losing 7 out of 9 and the two wins were also shithouse wins.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    United need snookers from Leicester most likely. Not out of the realms of possibility considering how shite Arsenal are away from home. Plus the Europa League fixtures. They're that shit thought it'll be Hazard 1 nil on Sunday and that'll be that.

For the good of the league, United have to win on Sunday. Would be great to finally have a season where 7 of the 10 games on the last day would have something riding on it. If Cardiff can get to within 2 points of Brighton, I'd not put it past them to turn United over and stay up. The Newcastle game for Brighton is an absolute must win.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been the biggest bottlers out of the top 6 sides this season. We really don't deserve UCL football next year.

And I could live with that, but the worrying thing is that it seems like we're going to have a massive clear out of the squad in a few months, with Mata, Herrera, Valencia all out of contract and leaving on a free. De Gea might be sold since his contract expires at the end of next season, and Pogba doesnt look like he wants to be here, and Lukaku's agent's been saying that his client wants to move as well (apparently because he's been told he's no longer the first choice striker).
    The quality of the team has been like "one step forward, two steps back" every year since Sir Alex left. And the state of our squad is probably going to look like the worst I've ever seen it, if all the players listed above actually leave.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly from who played last night who would you WANT to keep. I know there's reasons to not move too many on but ignoring that if you took each player in isolation who do you keep?

For me it's Rashford and Shaw (who is looking out of shape again). Lingaard you maybe keep for the squad but he is not good enough to be a first team united player imo and also has been drastically left behind in terms of the England squad. Periera, Dalot and Romero worthy of a squad place.

If they wanted to stay I would keep De Gea and Herrera but I understand why neither would be possible. They need to work out how to shunt Sanchez out even if it's a loan or something. That removes this crazy wage ceiling they have in place which I think is the cause of some of these issues.

Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Rojo and others are rank. Get rid. I know you probably need to keep 1 or 2 for some level of consistency so keep Lindelof and Bailly.

Who to sign? Hard without CL football you maybe have to look at local players like Wan Bissaka, Grealish, Butland?, David Brooks and the like. If they could get Jadon Sancho that might be worthwhile. Is it worth signing Bale? I dunno I dont think so due to the injuries but he's still class. You could probably swap Pogba for him and the front 3 is improved.

Would keep McTominay around for a bit and promote Gomes and a few other youth players to around the squad. That will buy Ole some good will from the United fans who are normally very appreciative of youth products getting a chance. He's going to need some credit next year as honestly feels like he needs to pull the fucking handbrake at this point

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    United's defenders are fine. They just need organising. I can see why they'd buy a "superstars" defender but they could build a back four with what they have and prioritise the midfield and attack.

The Rosk
    Quite crazy to think Liverpool may not win the title with only one loss all season. Feel a little sorry for them in a way.

Simon
    Honestly from who played last night who would you WANT to keep. I know there's reasons to not move too many on but ignoring that if you took each player in isolation who do you keep?

For me it's Rashford and Shaw (who is looking out of shape again). Lingaard you maybe keep for the squad but he is not good enough to be a first team united player imo and also has been drastically left behind in terms of the England squad. Periera, Dalot and Romero worthy of a squad place.

If they wanted to stay I would keep De Gea and Herrera but I understand why neither would be possible. They need to work out how to shunt Sanchez out even if it's a loan or something. That removes this crazy wage ceiling they have in place which I think is the cause of some of these issues.

Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Rojo and others are rank. Get rid. I know you probably need to keep 1 or 2 for some level of consistency so keep Lindelof and Bailly.

Who to sign? Hard without CL football you maybe have to look at local players like Wan Bissaka, Grealish, Butland?, David Brooks and the like. If they could get Jadon Sancho that might be worthwhile. Is it worth signing Bale? I dunno I dont think so due to the injuries but he's still class. You could probably swap Pogba for him and the front 3 is improved.

Would keep McTominay around for a bit and promote Gomes and a few other youth players to around the squad. That will buy Ole some good will from the United fans who are normally very appreciative of youth products getting a chance. He's going to need some credit next year as honestly feels like he needs to pull the fucking handbrake at this point
    TBF I think this idea that there are only a couple of players you'd want to keep is nonsense really. IMO you're probably looking at keeping...

De Gea - yes, he's had a bad season by his standards, but he's proven his worth repeatedly and is still yet to reach his prime. Who would they replace him with? The only issue is whether he wants to stay.
    Romero - about as good a back-up keeper as you could hope to have.
    Lindelof - clearly a good defender struggling to make up for the shit performances of those around him.
    Rashford - a potential superstar and always puts in a shift regardless of how the team is performing.
    Lingard - some people don't rate him and I really don't get it. United's past success has been built on loyal, hard-working and versatile players like Lingard.
    McTominay - looks a real player to me, and one of the few who has come out of this poor run with credit.

Then I think there's enough benefit of the doubt to give Shaw, Bailly, Fred, Martial, Pereira, Herrera, Lukaku, Valencia and Dalot as well.

Really I'd only ('only') be desperate to get rid of Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Sanchez, Matic and Darmian because they aren't good enough, and then probably cash in on Pogba and Martial because they are good enough but choose not to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite crazy to think Liverpool may not win the title with only one loss all season. Feel a little sorry for them in a way.
    Yeah same, gutted for them

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All 'Liverpool fans ahsgshsg' aside ...its mental really. They could well end up on 97 points, 1 loss all season and still not win the league.

Whoever ends up finishing 2nd can't really be accused of bottling it. Incredible achievement for both.

Simon
    As impressive as it is, it has felt a little bit tedious the past few weeks waiting for the twists and turns that don't end up happening. Just two teams relentlessly beating everyone so nothing changes. If only that Liverpool/City game had been scheduled for later in the season.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBF I think this idea that there are only a couple of players you'd want to keep is nonsense really. IMO you're probably looking at keeping...

De Gea - yes, he's had a bad season by his standards, but he's proven his worth repeatedly and is still yet to reach his prime. Who would they replace him with? The only issue is whether he wants to stay.
    Romero - about as good a back-up keeper as you could hope to have.
    Lindelof - clearly a good defender struggling to make up for the shit performances of those around him.
    Rashford - a potential superstar and always puts in a shift regardless of how the team is performing.
    Lingard - some people don't rate him and I really don't get it. United's past success has been built on loyal, hard-working and versatile players like Lingard.
    McTominay - looks a real player to me, and one of the few who has come out of this poor run with credit.

Then I think there's enough benefit of the doubt to give Shaw, Bailly, Fred, Martial, Pereira, Herrera, Lukaku, Valencia and Dalot as well.

Really I'd only ('only') be desperate to get rid of Jones, Smalling, Young, Mata, Sanchez, Matic and Darmian because they aren't good enough, and then probably cash in on Pogba and Martial because they are good enough but choose not to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah same, gutted for them

Lindelof hasn't shown too much tbh. He has been bullied a lot of times too and I'm not sure he's right for english football. Could be wrong
    Romero as I said I would keep but he wasn't playing so I meant of the ones on the pitch there's only a few I would say 100% have to stay. If Lingard went would they miss him? Would he play for any other top 6 team regularly? I'm not convinced. He gets a pass as he's a youth product.

Fred has been awful. He may come good in a better midfield next year. The reality is they probably wont get very much of their outlay for him so it probably wouldn't make sense to sell.
    Lukaku wants out and doesn't want to play wide. If there's money on the table why would you keep him.
    Da Gea is a good player but seemingly wants out. He has a year left I'm assuming he goes. I said I would keep him and Herrera if it's possible but for differing reasons (Zidane and Money) it probably won't be.
    Valencia is shot. Why keep him? There's an option of a year so do you take it and have him as a reserve right back? I think that's mental.
    Martial isn't showing any desire for the team atm. Unless he changes attitude he's a liability. Maybe a promise of being 1st choice would help who knows but right now I wouldn't be sad to see him go if the money was right.

Again it's about looking at each case individually. Of course it seems mad to say they should get right of 18 players or whatever. I said that. I understand that but on a case by case basis some are looking to go and others aren't pulling their weight. I think I said I would keep romero, lindelof, bailly, dallot, shaw, mctominay, lingard, rashford, periera. Our lists aren't too dissimilar.

It would probably be the single best FM game you could play right now i reckon. Clearing all that SHITE out.

Simon
    Haha yeah I thought exactly the same, you'd have great fun binning all those lot and replacing them all.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, fuck them.

Simon
    Anyone seen the PFA team of the year? Some bonkers shouts in there. I'd have gone for...

GK: Ederson
    DL: Robertson

DC: Vertonghen (Alderweireld, Laporte, Rudiger)
    DC: Van Dijk
    DR: Wan Bissaka (Alexander-Arnold)
    MC: Fernandinho
    MC: B. Silva

MC: D. Silva (Kante, Sissoko, Moutinho)
    AM: Sterling
    AM: Hazard (Son, Mane)
    FC: Aguero (Kane)

Ones in bold are IMO unarguable, all the rest of them I can think of alternatives.

Also how about a non-top six team of the year?

GK: Fabianski
    DL: Digne
    DC: Boly
    DC: Duffy
    DR: Wan Bissaka
    MC: Moutinho
    MC: Doucoure
    AM: Anderson
    AM: Maddison
    AM: Zaha
    FC: Vardy

Shout outs to Doherty, Jimenez, Rice, Fraser, Patricio etc.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Pogba says it all absolute joke.