Page 106 of 137 FirstFirst ... 96102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,600 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Shogun has to beat Anthony Smith while Gus have to do something spectacular versus Volkan. Sounds fair..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lol at DC vs Shogun.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'm watching DC on Helwani's ESPN show right now and he actually says he will fight Shogun if he beats Anthony Smith in November and then Lesnar Super Bowl weekend. No doubt in my mind that he's just trolling Gus though.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean he's right. Shogun has more wins, he's actually fought more in the last 5 years than Gus has in the last 10. I'm just fucking around on that stat but I honestly get it. Gus is not a draw, at all. I'm sorry to say that to you @OD50 as I respect his skill but you can't ride on a split decision loss to Jon Jones from 5 years ago and act like it's going to bring in viewers. At least with Shogun, the very least, he has a super hardcore fan base, he has Brazil, and he can still go.

I'd like to see either guy fight Cormier. Either way, all 3 of them are not exactly giving me the good feels that they won't get injured and have to pull out anyway.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Going from making history vs Stipe to Shogun Rua in 2018 is a HUGE career step back. DC/Shogun wouldn't draw anyways so we should stop humoring the idea.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Going from making history vs Stipe to Shogun Rua in 2018 is a HUGE career step back. DC/Shogun wouldn't draw anyways so we should stop humoring the idea.
    Realistically the only true draw at LHW in terms of a fight is Jones-Cormier 3 which is odd since Jones beat him twice but you know it would sell. I mean Cormier can't help that outside of Jones the only "draws" are guys like Shogun who have that huge die hard fanbase over the last 15 years. Who else in the division is going to make money with Cormier on any significant level before he retires in less than year?

Old dudes, and I hate saying Shogun is old since he's my age lol, but they can still draw in MMA. And he's one of the elites. They could easily headline a ppv later this year and draw 250-300k buys especially with a decent co-main. 400k+ if it's a solid main card on paper. I'm not saying that couldn't happen with Gus but Gus v. Cormier 2 would need a really good main card.

Now watch, both of them will fucking lose lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Yoel Romero's manager has an idea for a worthy opponent for DC..

"We're talking to the UFC about [Yoel Romero] moving to light heavyweight," Kawa said. "I was looking at his record and looking at some of the guys he beat. I don't know what the fans are going to think about Yoel Romero vs. Daniel Cormier for the belt since Daniel wants a big fight. I think that's the biggest fight you could make."
    Super intriguing to consider a Yoel/Cormier fight, but I gotta see Romero get a W at 205 first.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Yoel Romero's manager has an idea for a worthy opponent for DC..

Super intriguing to consider a Yoel/Cormier fight, but I gotta see Romero get a W at 205 first.
    I'm guessing Romero/Whittaker drawing poorly and Romero coming off a loss makes it a tough sell for DC. Romero being an Olympic silver medalist who beat Cael Sanderson (who in turn beat DC several times I think) could be in his favor though.

At any point in his career except now it's a fight I think DC would have jumped on immediately.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Arlovski didn't get the nod against Tuivasa, that could have been a decent stopgap between this and Lesnar if he wants to collect a name for his resume. Alas, wasn't to be. I don't see anybody of interest at light heavyweight, unless they can get Romero a top 5 opponent super quick. If say Romero beat a Jan or an OSP, maybe do that fight at MSG? I'd say it has slightly more intrigue than either Gus or Shogun. Regardless, I don't think Cormier should be getting his body down to 205lbs 4 months before he faces Brock Lesnar. That's just a stupid move. I can see him setting up a JDS fight if he wins on Saturday, that's probably the best option out of those that are there or thereabouts at heavyweight. He's not facing Lewis, Volkov or Blaydes.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand DC is only fighting 2 more times. 1 time at LHW, 1 time at HW, then that's it. So we're probably going to see him fight at 205 within the next 3-4 months if he's medically cleared. If he's not, he's out until mid January on a 6-month suspension for his hand. My buddy did mention that Romero might come up....

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I've been listening to DC at the post fight press conference, the MMA Hour (I don't regularly watch anymore since Luke Thomas took over) and Ariel Helwani's ESPN show trying to figure out what he will do next and it definitely seems to me that his preferred route is to defend the LHW title around November (MSG?) and then defend the HW title against Lesnar on the Super Bowl weekend show. Lesnar will be able to fight from January 8 so that makes sense.

There really isn't any fight for him at HW that makes sense I think. Ngannou has lost two in a row and looked shit in both (same goes for Overeem) and the most deserving HW's; Blaydes, Lewis and Volkov are still no-names and no draws. Instant Stipe rematch doesn't make sense either, it's probably the biggest HW money fight besides Lesnar. Miocic wants it though:

Quote Originally Posted by Stipe Miocic
    Congrats to DC. Didn’t get the chance to say it in the cage, but lets dance again and get a rematch before you call it a career.
    DC/Romero is interesting, especially with their Olympic wrestling history, you just know DC would love to test himself and his wrestling against someone who beat Cael Sanderson twice (Sanderson defeated Romero in the 2000 Olympics though). Like I mentioned before though, Whittaker/Romero II drew poorly and Romero lost.

DC/Volkan Oezdemir I was a wash-out and nobody would buy the rematch, even if Volkan should drub Gustafsson.

Shogun/DC would have been a perfectly fine LHW title fight (Shogun will be on a four fight win streak if he beats Smith in Hamburg) if we weren't talking about DC's last ever LHW and second to last ever fight.

DC/Gus II would definitely make sense if Gus beats Oezdemir. Gus is already ranked #1 and would be the indisputable #1 contender if he beats Volkan. Despite what DC says now about winning easily Gus took him to hell and back the first time. I remember clearly DC saying Gus was a much tougher fight for him physically and he took more punishment than against Jones (the first time).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cormier
    Everything hurts. You have to be honest. You have to tell the truth: That guy beat me up tonight
    Right now DC is saying that he's favoring the Shogun fight basically because it's less work for more money.

As Cormier explained after his win, there’s a very practical reason he doesn’t want to face Gustafsson again: money. Gustafsson, he said, offers a grueling fight without the financial reward of a bigger draw on pay-per-view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cormier
    I’ll fight in November against somebody else, and I really don’t [think it’s going to be] Gustafsson, to be honest with you.
    My own humble opinion is that DC is clever like a fox and only does the Shogun > Gustafsson thing to piss Gustafsson off in hope that he will take the bait, turning their rematch into a real money making "grudge match". They've already been going back on forth over social media for a while now so it won't take much to put the rivalry into high gear. And, as a back-up plan if Volkan beats Gus, DC has already planted the seeds of fighting Shogun because he is "deserving", "a legend" etc. Shogun will probably be a decent money maker for him, even without any bad blood.

If Smith beats Shogun (which, for some reason doesn't seem too unlikely) and Volkan beats Gus (I'd favor Gus 60-40 or even 70-30).. Fuck knows.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by OD50; July 10th, 2018 at 4:49 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    From what I understand DC is only fighting 2 more times. 1 time at LHW, 1 time at HW, then that's it. So we're probably going to see him fight at 205 within the next 3-4 months if he's medically cleared. If he's not, he's out until mid January on a 6-month suspension for his hand. My buddy did mention that Romero might come up....
    DC will be out about two months, no surgery will be needed. He "only" broke his knuckle I believe, not the hand.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Contestants announced for TUF 28.

Male Heavyweights
    Ben Sosoli
    Maurice Greene
    Michel Batista
    Juan Francisco Espino Dieppa
    Justin Frazier
    Anderson da Silva
    Przemyslaw Mysiala
    Josh Parisian

Women’s Featherweights
    Leah Letson
    Larissa Pacheco
    Marciea Allen
    Pannie Kianzad
    Bea Malecki
    Julija Stoliarenko
    Katharina Lehner
    Macy Chiasson

Don't recognize any of the HW's and strangely enough there are two girls representing Sweden on there, Kianzad (10-3) and Malecki (2-0).

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of any of these fighters but it's understandable as they're possibly the "shallowest" divisions. I couldn't think of a better word to describe the small pool of fighters HW and Women's FW generally has.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at this Saturday's card. Pretty stacked with names. JDS, Dennis Bermudez, Chad Mendes returns after his 2 year suspension for using skin cream, Myles Jury, Cat Zingano, Eddie Wineland who I thought retired, Jessica Aguilar, quite a few others.

Someone help me out in understanding why Blagoy Ivanov is headlining in his first ever UFC fight? Dude is from Bulgaria and the fight is in Boise, Idaho so it's not like he's a hometown guy or even a short notice replacement.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well, they need someone decent for JDS (we're talking HW here..) and Ivanov has a stellar record and is the former WSOF HW champ. Similar to Justin Gaethje's (WSOF LW champ) first UFC fight that was also in the main event. I think Ivanov is the guy that almost got stabbed to death a couple of years ago.

/Yeah..
    In the early morning of February 26, 2012 a group of eight men entered the capitol bar "Ice" on Graf Ignatiev Street and attacked Ivanov and his two friends, both with criminal past. Ivanov was stabbed below the armpit, with the blade of the knife penetrating his heart. He was in the intensive care unit after 6 hours of lifesaving medical intervention at Sofia's Pirogov Hospital, his condition stabilized with the aid of an artificial respirator.
    Kind of similar to Lee Murray getting stabbed back in the day. Ivanov is 9-1 since nearly dying and being in intensive care for three months, pretty cool.

I think Murray only had one or two fights after getting stabbed, then he decided breaking into the Securitas depot was easier money..
    Last edited by OD50; July 11th, 2018 at 4:27 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Well, they need someone decent for JDS (we're talking HW here..) and Ivanov has a stellar record and is the former WSOF HW champ. Similar to Justin Gaethje's (WSOF LW champ) first UFC fight that was also in the main event. I think Ivanov is the guy that almost got stabbed to death a couple of years ago.
    Great point about Gaethje but he wasn't headlining against one of the best HW's of this era he was headlining against #12 Michael Johnson. You're right though, HW, not much depth so a guy who's 16-1 with a high finishing rate is pretty sweet to go up against JDS. This guy being 5'11" but a thick 5'11" kind of like Matt Serra at 170 should be interesting.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, divisional depth is the difference, LW was/is stacked, HW not so much. I also think Ivanov is the guy who got the nickname "The Man Who Beat Fedor". It was in Sambo but still a great achievement.

Looked it up, Ivanov and Fedor are 1-1 in Sambo.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Some interesting stuff concerning the Costa/Adesanya discussion earlier:

Israel Adesanya:
    I see Mick Maynard, and I’m like, ‘What the hell?’ Then we just start yarning. I see some people. He said, ‘I’ll introduce you to Dana.’ I finally met Dana properly, and we start talking. I dropped his name in there like, ‘Yeah, I want to fight (Paulo Costa) next.’ But they have other ideas. Fair enough. They’ve done this a long time. They’re promoters.
    What they want is me being a bigger name, Paulo being a bigger name, and we fight like in some super fight. I can see why (they want) that. But for me, I want to take him out now.
    Eugene Bareman (Adesanya's coach):
    Not matching them might make sense from Dana’s perspective. In my opinion, the appeal of the fight is having two unbeaten guys come up against each other, but the problem is I don’t know if Paulo Costa will remain unbeaten for that long, Bareman told MMA Fighting. My argument would be to get that fight on now while they’re both undefeated. It’s more marketable now. I just think there are too many holes in Paulo Costa’s stand up to stay undefeated for very long. I think he will have trouble with high-level strikers.
    Paulo Costa:

I don’t know who he (Israel Adesanya) is, Costa (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) told MMAjunkie after his win over Hall (13-9 MMA, 6-7 UFC). I think when he comes to (the) top 10 or top five … I can think about him
    I really want to fight with Chris Weidman and the UFC received well this request. We have already defined the location and date in New York, which is his hometown, on November 3. I know he wants to fight for the title, like everyone else, but next in the race for the belt will be Gastelum. He has to do a fight against someone by name and as I am climbing the division, I think it has to be me. I'm making that challenge to Weidman and I hope he accepts it. This fight is already well underway here, we only have to sign the contracts. Only the contract will arrive and we'll sign it, I'll start preparing for this fight
    If Costa gets Weidman should Adesanya get Jacare instead of a David Branch/Thiago Santos/Derek Brunson type opponent?
    Last edited by OD50; July 11th, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep the UFC wants it to go down at 232 I believe in December and Cyborg is not happy about having to wait an additional 5 months after already sitting out for the last 3-4. I can't say I blame her. I also read Cyborg saying that if Nunes is wanting to wait until December that Nunes should vacate her championship so the division isn't being held up, even threw out that Vera chick's name as a possible challenger for the BW title if it's vacated.

I know it'll go down. Cyborg wants it and I respect her reasoning as to why she doesn't feel like she or the UFC should be catering to Amanda Nunes so much. Nunes isn't anybody special despite having beaten 2 of the top 135ers of all time. She can sign all the contracts she wants on Instagram to make it look like she's somehow ahead of Cyborg but everyone knows that she has had a good year to fight Cyborg and instead fought Rocky.........

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope Nunes annihilates her.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Ya, well you hate brazili... oh, wait.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Nunes annihilates her.
    If she even shows up I'll be surprised if Nunes makes it out the first round.

Ya, well you hate brazili... oh, wait.
    His inner Sherdog comes out way more when Cyborg is discussed. Can't wait.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That comment was more aimed at you than me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That comment was more aimed at you than me.
    I know what he was implying which is why I made it a point to say that in this case it's not even about Brazil it's about your EXTREME dislike for Cyborg.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    First odds for Cyborg/Nunes are out and they are..

Cristiane Justino -300 (1/3)
    Amanda Nunes +230 (23/10)

I like Cyborg, would be pulling for her. I'm very loosely thinking about going back to Dallas in the near future so I was hoping this fight would end up there. Looks like December in Vegas though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First odds for Cyborg/Nunes are out and they are..

Cristiane Justino -300 (1/3)
    Amanda Nunes +230 (23/10)

I like Cyborg, would be pulling for her. I'm very loosely thinking about going back to Dallas in the near future so I was hoping this fight would end up there. Looks like December in Vegas though.
    Cyborg wanted it in Dallas but apparently Nunes has a hurt leg or some shit that she wants to sit out the next couple more months to make sure it's ok....Which makes me think she's probably going to pull out of the fight at the last minute so she can use her leg excuse.

What's odd is that I thought she fought Holly Holm (Nunes). Were they ever scheduled to throw down? One has to think Cyborg is head and shoulders the best fighter Nunes will ever have faced.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange card tonight. Really oddly ordered.

JDS vs. Ivanov is a just main event. Former heavyweight champion against former WSOF champion on a good streak in his UFC debut. Get the feeling that dos Santos is done so leaning Ivanov.

Northcutt vs. Ottow is a stupid co-main. Sage hasn't even taken off as a star. I don't get it. Likable chap so hope he wins, but it's all a bit odd.

Bermudez vs. Glenn again, low on relevance. Dennis is on a 3 fight skid after hanging around the top 10 for a minute. Glenn should be a good rebound fight but Bermudez has not shown he's capable of a run at the top so kind of meh.

Brown vs. Price is a good main card action fight. 2 young guys who could potentially put it all together. Hoping Brown wins, Price has a very punchable face.

Jury vs. Mendes should probably be co-main. 8-2 vs. a 3 time title contender. Great fight. Taking Jury, Mendes has had a gigantic layoff due to USADA. Winner is right in the mix behind the Aldo's and Stephens' I think.

Cat vs. Reneau is another good fight, with Marion looking likely for a title eliminator with a win and Zingano looking to get back up there. Leaning Marion as she's found a way to win lately. Zingano is finally fighting reasonably close to her last fight though so hopefully she's sharp.

Wineland vs. Perez, former title challenger against a guy unbeaten in his last 6 UFC fights. So of course it's a prelim on a Fight Night. Leaning Wineland, he's a step up in competition, hits hard and can get it done.

Volkanovski vs. Elkins, 4-0 vs. guy on a 6 fight win streak including the 2017 comeback of the year and a W against Bermudez. 8th fight down. OK. Great fight. Volkanovski looks an absolute animal but Elkins always seems to find a way to win. It's going to be gnarly and bloody but I finally see somebody shutting Elkins down and propelling himself to contendership. If Elkins wins though, it will be a travesty if he doesn't get a big fight.

Further down the card on Fight Pass there's Carmouche vs. Jennifer Maia, 1st women's title contender vs. Invicta champion. Big fight at flyweight. Winner could be in line for a contenders fight.

If the card line up was:

JDS vs. Ivanov
    Mendes vs. Jury
    Elkins vs. Volkanovski
    Reneau vs. Zingano
    Brown vs. Price
    Wineland vs. Perez

Maia vs. Carmouche
    Bermudez vs. Glenn
    Northcutt vs. Ottow
    Scoggins vs. Nurmagamedov

I honestly feel there would be more eyes on it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Is it just me or does Mendes look a bit different from what he usually does?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    He definitely has less of a tan.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's not just you OD. I immediately noticed a much, much leaner Mendes. Give me some of that skin cream or whatever it was.

On topic, what a shit main event. Did nothing whatsoever for JDS' career.

Is it just me or are there far fewer bullshit decisions nowadays than there used to be? I remember them being commonplace back in the day, but now they really stand out. Khabib's cousin did NOT win that fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, he still looked great for a normal human being, but soft and flat for Chad Mendes. Not much like the Sean Sherk Jr of old..

But still, unlike post USADA Johny Hendricks he still has some pop in that left hand. 👊ðŸ»

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @OD50 what are the dates of those first 2 pictures. You are confusing me with your fascination of searching for people who may or may not look different via USADA but like that Pablo guy you posted some picture of him from like 2005 and then one of him from 2018 questioning if he was on something. Again, I respect your opinion on body type but I'm not sure what we're looking for with a guy who's been on a 2+ year suspension.

I mean, John Cena doesn't look as big as he did 5 years ago, is that USADA?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Stipe Miocic demands title rematch with Daniel Cormier, calls Brock Lesnar antics 'disrespectful'

He's not getting it, of course. And I'm not entirely convinced he should necessarily get one, first round ko and all. But he's clearly the best hw on the planet not holding a title and Brock getting one is a complete shit show. It's a mess that division.

Glad to see Stipe speak out on it though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be negative to Stipe getting a rematch. Nobody has ever defended the championship 3 times and he has the resume to warrant a title rematch BUT I'm fine if he doesn't. I'm just saying the selection is very limited and shit I'm not even sure Cormier wants his last HW fight to be against Stipe.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cormier doesn't want that. He wants to get paid with Brock.

And I'd personally like a rematch between DC and Stipe, said as much earlier. Think it would be an even better contest, and the fight they just had was already brewing nicely before the ko.

Wish DC wasn't so insistent on retiring on a deadline. Crazy idea could then be for Stipe/Brock to have a number one contender fight. Cormier could take a lhw title fight in the meantime and also give himself proper time to lose and gain weight for each different contest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Stipe Miocic demands title rematch with Daniel Cormier, calls Brock Lesnar antics 'disrespectful'

He's not getting it, of course. And I'm not entirely convinced he should necessarily get one, first round ko and all. But he's clearly the best hw on the planet not holding a title and Brock getting one is a complete shit show. It's a mess that division.

Glad to see Stipe speak out on it though.
    "Clearly", I don't know. I always wanted to see him vs Cain, and I could definitely see Cain winning.

Also, not sure what Nash Diesel is going on about. Mendes was always suspect, then popped and was suspended as a result. The before-and-after pics are pretty damning too and I'm glad OD50 posted them.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cain Velasquez

I'm talking about heavyweights that actually fight.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well he's not retired so.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Point was Stipe is the most deserving, on merit, to contend for a title of people who actually actively compete in mma at heavyweight.

Glad that's sorted.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You probably should have said that from the beginning then instead of saying he's clearly the best HW on the planet when he's not clearly the best HW on the planet.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Didn't say that, and nobody paying any attention whatsoever considers Cain an active contender, so cool man.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Maybe do Stipe/JDS III, Cain/Blaydes, Hunt/Ngannou. Maybe Derrick Lewis could get the Oliynyk/Volkov winner or Tai Tuivasa? I have a feeling Cain will fight again late this year or early '19 and that Lewis might be out for a while, his back seems to be in rough shape. Stipe (#1)/Blaydes (#3) wouldn't be a bad title eliminator style fight either. Overeem could get the loser of Volkov/Oliynyk. Werdum will be out on suspension for a while I think.

Just throwing some shit together while DC and Brock have their little money grab, ahem, fight..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Clearly", I don't know. I always wanted to see him vs Cain, and I could definitely see Cain winning.

Also, not sure what Nash Diesel is going on about. Mendes was always suspect, then popped and was suspended as a result. The before-and-after pics are pretty damning too and I'm glad OD50 posted them.
    He was always suspect? Eh, I guess anyone who doesn't look like Nick Diaz @ 185 all soft and gooey are suspect. If you have a 6-pack, probably taking something. Remind me what he was suspended for again.

Either way, he still waxed a top 10 dude after being gone for 2 years.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, has nothing to do with a 6 pack. I have 8 and I'm clean. It has to do with him always looking like a juice monkey, then it came out that he was so he spent 2 years on a suspension, and now he doesn't look like a juice monkey. And yes, I saw the fight and he won, nobody said otherwise. What in the hell is wrong with you?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, has nothing to do with a 6 pack. I have 8 and I'm clean. It has to do with him always looking like a juice monkey, then it came out that he was so he spent 2 years on a suspension, and now he doesn't look like a juice monkey. And yes, I saw the fight and he won, nobody said otherwise. What in the hell is wrong with you?
    The point of the 6 pack comment was that more often than not any dude who has a toned body is subject to public USADA testing lol.

What in the hell is wrong with you? Calm down with the roid rage there Mendes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd run JDS vs. Blaydes or Volkov next, with the other facing Lewis if he's ready or Miocic. Stipe might be out til next year anyway. By then, the winners likely match up for the vacant title, if not JDS or Stipe would get the shot if one of them were to win. Stipe may as well take the year off and match his timeline to the Cormier vs. Lesnar fight.

Light heavyweight is even more baffling. Rockhold and Romero probably only need a top 15 win each to be in contention. Cormier is never fighting at 205 again, I'm convinced. Cutting that weight to fight a 280lb freak wrestler 3 months later? No. I guess Jones will just slot back in as 205 champ if he comes back and stays back. If.

The title situation is so weird 145 and over. Max Holloway is the fair undisputed champion, but Conor never lost the title and if he can make the weight is lineal champion. 155 has 3 people with a right to be called champion in Khabib (recognised), Conor (lineal) and Tony (interims usually get made permanent when champions are stripped). Welterweight also has a recognised, interim and lineal situation with Woodley, Colby and GSP. Middleweight has a recognised and lineal in Bobby and GSP, though Whittaker is rightfully considered undisputed. Then at 205 Jones is lineal, Cormier is recognised and the likelihood is neither fight a 205lb fight before July next year, or ever. And the heavyweight champ has set an 8 month window on his career.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He was always suspect? Eh, I guess anyone who doesn't look like Nick Diaz @ 185 all soft and gooey are suspect. If you have a 6-pack, probably taking something. Remind me what he was suspended for again.

Either way, he still waxed a top 10 dude after being gone for 2 years.
    Anyone with low enough BF can have visible abs, it's not indicative of AAS use. The most telling signs outside of crazy things like gynecomastia, "bacne" and change pf physical features (mainly jaw and forehead, often indicative of HGH use) are the deltoids and the trapezius. The androgen receptors are the highest in the traps followed by the deltoids so often people using AAS will have delts/traps that are disproportionate to other muscle groups, the famous "cannonball" deltoids are pretty much impossible to achieve naturally. I think the Androgenic receptors are the lowest in the forearms and the calfs, which often shows on people doing AAS.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10664066

http://nattyornot.com/the-shoulders-...steroid-users/
    Last edited by OD50; July 18th, 2018 at 7:08 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Mendes claiming he got GHRP-6 in his body from some psoriasis cream is about as likely as Brock getting clomiphene in his system from (of all things) foot cream and Norwegian ski star Therese Johaug testing positive for clostebol due to some contaminated lip balm against cold sores.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

So uh, what about this...?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the upcoming fight cards, after UFC 227 there's hardly any ranked fighter on deck, and no official title fights (Shevchenko/Montana rumoured for 228). How do we see match making going for the rest of the year?

Heavyweight I'm looking at a combination of Blaydes, JDS, Lewis, Miocic, Volkov and Ngannou getting matched up. I'd probably lean JDS vs. Ngannou (either JDS gets back in contention or Ngannou gets on track killing another legend), Blaydes vs. Miocic (surely have to be considered #1 and #2 and the rightful contenders fight) and Volkov vs. Lewis (probably the most winnable fight for Lewis, who has a habit of beating Russians). You can match any of the 6 though, obviously avoiding rematches from 2018 though. Then Overeem vs. Tuivasa to either get Reem back on track or give the kid his breakout win.

Light Heavyweight I'd actually like a bit of a mini-tournament for the surely vacated title. 3 of the 4 first bouts are on deck with Shogun/Smith, Glover/Anderson and Gustafsson/Volkan. OSP and Jan fall just behind, match them with Romero and Rockhold respectively. Then you've got 5 spots to fill 4 holes, ideal for that injury prone division. The eventual champion needs to look like a champion with a win streak behind them, this would help. Give Reyes Sam Alvey to try and get him up to scratch.

Middleweight is a mess. Whittaker vs. Gastelum happens early next year now because of injury. Rockhold and Romero have left the division. Logic says you match Weidman and Jacare at MSG for the next title shot. Then you've got 2 big prospects in Israel and Costa and 2 perennial top 10 guys in Branch and Brunson. Probably match Costa with Brunson since he fights without strategy so it'd be a barnburner, and Israel with Branch because the speed advantage should get him a win. Shoeface vs. Elias for a top 10 spot I guess, winner faces (hopefully) one of the prospects. They really need to hope those 2 keep winning, division went to shit real quick. Maybe Till moves up though.

Welterweight depends on GSP. You'd think it's Woodley vs. Covington next, and soon (228?), with the winner surely fighting GSP early next year for the belt. Dana can talk all the shit he wants about Georges, he'll give in to his requests (or WME will) because he's one of the few people on the planet people pay to see fight. Welterweight has depth though, Till, Usman, Ponz and Edwards on good streaks, Wonderboy and RDA only a win away from being back in contention, popular action fighters littered around (though Cowboy is apparently going back to 155). For me I'd go Usman vs. Wonderboy (either Usman wins and is the clear #1 contender or they shut his hype down); Till vs. Lawler (Robbie would make it an exciting fight and go out on his sword), Ponz vs. Edwards (easy matchmaking with both on good streaks and around top 10), RDA vs. Masvidal (to get Jorge back in there), Nelson vs. Magny, Perry vs. Brazilian Cowboy, Condit vs. Brown, Maia vs. Yancy, Milender vs. Luque. What a great weight class, get them matched up! Also, GSP vs. Diaz at 231 in Canada wouldn't shock me. Either Diaz.

Lightweight the signs are pointing to Khabib vs. McGregor this year. October it surely would have been announced by now, so either at the Garden or the year end show. Tony Ferguson fights the winner of Alvarez/Poirier around the same timeline and we have the next title fight sorted as well. After that, Kevin Lee vs. Anthony Pettis? They're trying to make Lee a star. Maybe with no rush to the title shot they can do Lee vs. the Alvarez/Diamond loser and Pettis can face the Gaethje/Vick winner? Barboza vs. Dan Hooker sounds fun. The Hernandez/OAM winner can fight the Gaethje/Vick loser. Not convinced Al Iaquinta fights again, and no chance Nate Diaz fights again at 155 without it being against Conor for the title.

Featherweight should still be Holloway vs. Ortega unless Max has to move up. After that it starts getting funky. Aldo, with a win over Stephens, will have earned a shot but has lost to Max twice. Frankie, with a win over Korean Zombie (rumoured at this point) would too but got blazed inside around by Ortega. Stephens and Zombie would have claims with wins, but Stephens lost to Max already. That's the least of the unwarranted rematches though since it was on points years ago. Swanson vs. Moicano winner can fight Bektic. Mendes vs. Volkanovski sounds about right for me. Lamas vs. Elkins. Emmett vs. Zabit/Yair winner once his face mends.

Bantamweight is odd in that this Garbrandt/Dillashaw stuff has gone on so long that the division is no longer "cleaned out". Dillashaw wants to fight Mighty Mouse next but he's 0-1 with Cruz, 1-1 with Assauncao, and hasn't fought Moraes. Likewise, Cody hasn't fought the latter 2, nor Hands of Stones who's on a 2 fight win streak. So for me the Mighty Mouse talk gets put on the backburner for a couple of defences. For me Assauncao gets his rightful chance. 11-1 in the division, come on. After that, if TJ loses he fights Cruz, if Cody loses he fights Lineker. Moraes fights either Lineker or Cruz depending on that result. The Rivera/Dodson and Sterling/Staaman winners can fight each other. Munhoz/Johns winner fights Perez. Wineland or Barao vs. Yahya/Saunders winner. Rob Font can fight the other.

Flyweight is simple now. Match Pettis and Formiga, winner gets a title shot. New challenger for Mouse. Obviously Mouse gets an immediate rematch if he loses to Cejedo. Then Borg vs. Benavidez. Winner faces Cejedo if he loses to Mouse. Moraga/Figueiredo winner faces Ortiz/Niclau for an eventual title shot, given the winner would be on a minimum 4 fight win streak, 3 of them on 5.

Featherweight and bantamweight appears to be Cyborg vs. Nunes at 145 and Holm vs. Viera for an interim 135 belt. Both abysmal divisions.

Flyweight, I guess Carmouche vs. Eubanks for a title shot? Davis vs. Chakoogan is on slate, maybe winner of that gets it? Developing division, Jessica Eye could get there with another win too.

Strawweight is surely Rose against the winner of Andrade vs. Karolina next. That's as easy a contenders match as there is to make, winner on a 3 fight win streak, rematch angle with Karolina, Andrade would be 6-1 at the weight. Tatiana vs. Herrig makes sense. Karate Hottie vs. Esparza. Would like to see Joanna go to flyweight as there's no new good fights for her after Torres.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So Woodley/Covington at 228 is a no go, because Colby for some reason. But apparently..

UFC discussing Tyron Woodley-Darren Till welterweight title bout

..could be a thing there instead. Which I wouldn't be mad about one bit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Gus/Volkan is off as well, of course..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So Woodley/Covington at 228 is a no go, because Colby for some reason. But apparently..

UFC discussing Tyron Woodley-Darren Till welterweight title bout

..could be a thing there instead. Which I wouldn't be mad about one bit.
    I'm actually disappointed.
    Gus/Volkan is off as well, of course..
    Honestly not disappointed about this. I was never feeling the fight to begin with.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious what's up with Colby after literally spending the last year or so talking about how scared "Tyquil" is of him and now it's him that's causing a delay?

I wasn't negative toward Gus v. Volkan. I'm a huge fan of #1 fighting #2 to see who fights the champ. That's just me though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I wasn't super thrilled about Gus/Volkan but it was the most logical fight for both. Only possible guy to step up that makes any sense is OSP, but he just fought on June 23. Jan Blachowicz is ranked higher than OSP but I really don't think anyone would want to see that again. My gut feeling is that Gus will be pulled from the card as well.

Yoel just had hand surgery, so not an option.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck Yoel anyway, make weight and get a W before getting another top tier fight.

And yeah, who could Gus fight for example that warrant him a title shot?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm actually disappointed.
    Could've been a good fight so that stinks. But Colby's a twat so I'm not bothered at all about him losing his spot. It's just kind of a wash. And if Till/Woodley happens instead then it becomes a net positive as he's neck and neck with Covington for contendership. So, cool.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Fuck Yoel anyway, make weight and get a W before getting another top tier fight.

And yeah, who could Gus fight for example that warrant him a title shot?
    OSP (#7) and Jan Blachowicz (#5) are the only somewhat reasonable options. OSP got starched by Latifi but looked good against Tyson Pedro. Blachowicz is solid but not very exciting, Gus will probably beat him via superior (and boring) grappling again. Glover (#3) is booked with Corey Anderson (#9 ) and Gus just KO'd him in his last fight. Manuwa (#6) and Latifi (#4) are N/A. Shogun (#8) is already booked vs. Anthony Smith. Further down we have guys like Misha Cirkunov, Pat Cummins and Sam Alvey, no way in hell Gus would accept any of those. Khalil Roundtree offered to step up but he's not even in the top 15.

Yoel and Rockhold are two MW's that could easily step up to LHW. Both are out with surgeries though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    How shook most Rockhold be that as soon as he says he's making the move to 205 Yoel does the same? I mean, every interview I've seen with Luke discussing Romero consists of him essentially conveying how terrified he is of him. Bet as soon as Romero gets booked a fight at lhw Luke will make a statement to try and get his hat back in the 185 mix.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Nobody seems to really want to fight Romero, win or lose you're in for a rough night. Both Rockhold and Whittaker described that it feels like he's made of metal/concrete. I guarantee those two Yoel fights took years off of Whittakers career.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gustafsson should take any fight he can. 2 name light heavyweights are fighting on Sunday, if they win they can leap Gus just based on activity. Take a fight, win it, retain your place.

Would love to see OSP take it, think he had to decline Shogun on short notice though due to injury.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Could've been a good fight so that stinks. But Colby's a twat so I'm not bothered at all about him losing his spot. It's just kind of a wash. And if Till/Woodley happens instead then it becomes a net positive as he's neck and neck with Covington for contendership. So, cool.
    My only issue(s) with Till is that he missed weight last time around, not to mention won a very questionable decision after a lackluster fight. Say what you will about Colby and you'd probably be right, but he is more deserving atm than Till.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy that Anthony Smith of all people can have 2 of the last 5 light heavyweight champions on his resume inside 2 months, when going into June he was a journeyman coming off a loss at middleweight. Or, Shogun Rua will be on a 4 fight win streak and at the very least be looking at a title eliminator in his next fight, if not an immediate title shot. Odd fight. Leaning Smith, but Shogun probably isn't as shot as people think - 3 losses in the last 5 years, a flash knockout to OSP and a come-from-behind TKO against Henderson, as well as that fight against Sonnen. He hasn't taken a kicking in a long time basically, and is on a 3 fight winning streak. Smith should be too big and strong, but I can see Shogun winning if he lands well to the body.

Glover can get back in contention too. His recent losses were very emphatic but he'd be in the mix behind Gustafsson. Corey Anderson can win that fight though. Anderson is a strange fighter, his skills are good but he lacks most intangibles of a great fighter - chin, urgency, killer instinct, fight IQ. He can improve the latter 3 to cover for his chim and become excellent, but will he? Doubt it. Seeing him winning the fight before getting clipped and stopped by Glover.

Tybura vs. Struve is the other relevant fight given the lack of depth at heavyweight. Both need an emphatic win after big losses lately. Tybura is less shopworn so should win, Struve always finds a way to get out of shit creek every few fights though. Guy's been around nearly a decade now, crazy. That Mark Hunt fight was a gamechanger, if he won that fight he may have kicked on, the broken jaw changed him.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    My only issue(s) with Till is that he missed weight last time around, not to mention won a very questionable decision after a lackluster fight. Say what you will about Colby and you'd probably be right, but he is more deserving atm than Till.
    Got no problem with Covington being given first crack at the title shot.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have to admit that the corny twitter call outs when there isn't even a fight to be accepted is just that, corny.

Tyron v. Till is a good fight but Till going on about how he shouldn't even get a title shot after the Wonderboy fight makes you wonder what this kid is trying to present here. Remember, this was the guy who after a couple fights kept saying Oh I want to climb the ladder I don't want to be ranked #8 and fight the #1 ranked guy....then he winds up doing just that. He did the same thing after Wonderboy and now here is trying to goad Woodley into publicly accepting something he didn't even know about lol.

Fucking weird but entertaining to watch. Till, Colby, let's keep the division moving because unless GSP v. Woodley is happening there's nothing else for Woodley to wait for.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Anthony Smith says that he will KO Shogun and then make a quick turnaround to fight Gus at UFC 227. Can't see Gus taking that fight. Smith isn't ranked but would probably leap into the top ten if he beats Shogun (#8). Glover also said he could take the Gus fight if he stays injury free against Corey Anderson. Meanwhile, Gus himself says he's willing to move up to HW to fight DC..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's not going to happen is it Gus.

13 day turnaround for Smith would be mad. Glover they wouldn't even entertain based on how the last fight with Alexander went. I can't see him staying on that card at this rate. Then Cejedo will miss weight and TJ's back will play up again leading to Cody vs. Lineker for an interim belt, and he'll also come in over weight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    For some reason that scenario doesn't seem too unlikely these days..

And yeah, I definitely see Gus getting pulled from this card. Not sure how they could put something together that makes sense that also accommodates Gustafsson's wishes/demands.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Then Cejedo will miss weight and TJ's back will play up again leading to Cody vs. Lineker for an interim belt, and he'll also come in over weight.
    I want to laugh if not for that being so infuriatingly accurate.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say this, Gustafsson's road to MMA is a fascinating story. Sent to prison at the age of 18 and used that experience to turn his life around and become a top tier MMA fighter.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He got three months in prison for assault/possession of narcotics and then right after that 1 1/2 years for aggregated assault. Details are a little scarce but I know for a fact that in one of those assault cases he beat the shit out of some guy and the guys girlfriend during a beach party.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got three months in prison for assault/possession of narcotics and then right after that 1 1/2 years for aggregated assault. Details are a little scarce but I know for a fact that in one of those assault cases he beat the shit out of some guy and the guys girlfriend during a beach party.
    Please tell me Gus never tried to use Jones' legal issues against him in banter toward each other? That's actually pretty fucking disturbing. If true.

There was a local MMA fighter here in Des Moines who was arrested and charged with attempted murder when he beat the shit out of a girl in a road rage incident. People were just standing around because anyone who tried to help, including a big ass motherfuckin black dude, got knocked the fuck out. It was horrible and it really made me think about how the MMA boom might have helped make a bad person even worse.

But that's with any martial arts I guess. I remember growing up there was this one piece of shit who was a black belt in tae kwon do and he would fuck people up with ease when we were like 11-12 years old and he was maybe 4-5 years older than us. Completely used the martial art for the wrong reason. Years later I think he wound up in prison so good luck.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    There's always some of those guys..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    "Aggregated assault"? Wtf, I know better than that. *Aggravated assault*

*Not really defending Gus but he was probably 18'ish when all that happened and he hadn't even started doing MMA at the time. Bones was UFC champion when he was fucking around.

Yeah, checked up some records and he got sentenced to jail on 5/30/2005 so he was 18.
    Last edited by OD50; July 20th, 2018 at 4:22 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always some of those guys..

lol, exactly the crew I was thinking of.

"Aggregated assault"? Wtf, I know better than that. *Aggravated assault*

*Not really defending Gus but he was probably 18'ish when all that happened and he hadn't even started doing MMA at the time. Bones was UFC champion when he was fucking around.
    I just meant in general, regardless if he was 18 or Bones was UFC champion, throwing stones hurts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been an all time bad card. Fuck all has happened. 7 decisions in a row, a couple of good performances (Rakic and Haqparast) but other than that just average fighters having close fights.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R.I.P. Shogun's career. Lionheart Smith is a beast though, was slow for 185 but looks fast and powerful at 205. A journeyman beating 2 first ballot Hall of Famers inside 2 minutes within 2 months is bananas. Nice fucking kid though. Taking the Gustaffson fight as well, nuts on him. Going from a TKO from a 10-15 ranked middleweight to possibly being #1 ranked 205lber within 6 months? MMA man.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fucking fanny Gustafsson is. Never getting a shot at this rate. As boring as Corey Anderson is, he turns up to work. He's gone 8-4 in the same time Alex has gone 2-2. EIGHT more fights in 4 years. To put his tardiness into perspective, Jon Jones has recorded as many official victories as him since they fought, and he's been banned for 2 years of that time AND had a win overturned, as well as all the arrest shit. That's it for me in terms of his ranking. Corey has beaten both of Alex's last 2 wins, yet lost to OSP, who lost to Ilir, who lost to Jan (3-0 in last 3). Those guys, Volkan and Smith belong in the discussion over Alex. They fight, he doesn't.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    This has been an all time bad card. Fuck all has happened. 7 decisions in a row, a couple of good performances (Rakic and Haqparast) but other than that just average fighters having close fights.
    Was indeed shit, not worse than Werdum vs Tybura though.

I'm just glad we can put an end to the DC vs Shogun talk.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I fell asleep 3-4 times trying to watch this card, woke up just in time to see the replay of Shogun getting KO'd.

Interesting that Gus says he's injured like 5 minutes after Smith Calls him out.

dc_mmaDear Alex, I don’t know what happened to you going back to the Rockhold situation. You have always been a stand up guy but your behavior changed. From calling a guy out the day after he got knocked out, to now offering to fight me knowing I have a broken hand, after Volkan couldn’t go. Now you’ve turned down Jan, turned down Khalil all while calling for a heavyweight title fight. Now, moments after Anthony Smith does his work like an animal you decide you’re hurt. Man, I respect you as a fighter. I will always be grateful for October 2015, but you and I won’t share the octagon again. I am disappointed in who you’ve become. You are so entitled, man, I can’t deal with delusional people. Good luck recovering. Our time has passed. See you from the commentary table. DC @alexthemauler #wegoourseparateways

Last edited by OD50; July 23rd, 2018 at 4:09 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith just put Shogun out, he said get this smoke and boom, that's what happened. I haven't seen someone bust up Shogun that bad so quickly EVER. Even Jones took about 2-3 rounds to put him out. Obviously that was a while back but still, it's Shogun!

It was so bad that Gus saw that shit and was like, nope! You can call Rua washed up, past his prime, same about Rashad, but this kid put 2 legends out cold and Rashad just flat out retired that night, he said fuck this I'm dead.

Smith did say something odd and that was he questioned Cormier's LHW status saying if he was truly an honorable man he would let people know his plans. He did. He said he's going to defend the LHW one more time and the HW one more time. Guess it depends on how fast his hand heals which one happens first.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent FOX show on Saturday. Triple header on top like the early days of FOX, with 3 former champions looking to get back on the wagon against top 5 competition. Not only that but it's stylistically excellent. Some relevance early on as well, with Ortiz/Nicolau and Davis/Chookagian holding divisional relevance.

Alvarez vs. Poirier is the fight at lightweight. 2 highly talented, highly ranked finishers in a rematch of a great fight. Both stopped Justin Gaethje in spectacular fights. Both relentless strikers, both vulnerable. Winner in the mix for a title shot. Superb. Poirier is slightly less shopworn and probably a little more talented, but Alvarez has absurd heart and guts. Do you lean talent or do you lean perverse durability? Tough one. Going for Poirier just based on his youth and having taken less damage in his career. Will be astonished if it doesn't end inside 2 rounds either way though. They come to fight.

Aldo vs. Stephens is a great fight. Streaking contender vs. all time great on a slope. Surprised to see the odds close to even though. Aldo is still Aldo. Max Holloway is just better. He was still excellent at points in those fights and will surely be too intelligent and technical for the cruder Stephens. Maybe he is finally shot though, who knows. Could be perfect timing for Stephens, I just don't see it. Aldo on points.

Joanna should be too much for Torres. The size difference will be comical. Torres is good but she'd probably be helped by an atomweight division, she's just so short. Won't have the firepower to deal with Joanna. Should be a high action fight though, could break the 3 round record for strikes thrown. Both are high output and short on true power.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; July 24th, 2018 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Pretty damn hype for Eddie/Dustin and Stephens/Aldo. Can't say there's anything on the undercard(s) that really has me interested, lots of good stuff though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah this card has been SLEPT ON but it's a been busy month. IMO, this is a ppv on free t.v. Rooting for Stephens, gotta go with the Iowa boy, but I'm such a fan of Aldo that I see him taking this one.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    You have to think Stephens is close to a title fight if he wins here. He lost to Max in 2015 but has really improved since joining Alliance and would be on a really nice four fight win streak. Aldo will have a hard time as long as Max is still champion, losing two in a row against the current champ makes it more or less impossible to get a third crack. Maybe if he goes on a 3-4 fight killing spree.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an odd division at the top beyond Holloway and Ortega, who haven't lost to anybody active/relevant in the division. After that, Holloway's beaten everybody other than Edgar, and quite emphatically in most cases. Including Aldo and Stephens. And Ortega has emphatically beaten Edgar but neither Aldo or Jeremy. Then you've got the situation where Moicano has a win over Stephens and only lost to Ortega. So you've got a scenario where Edgar will get the next shot (if he beats Zombie) if Max is still champion. If Ortega beats him, the winner of this becomes the next challenger regardless of the Edgar result... unless Zombie gets a finish. Then you could argue over Stephens, but Aldo would still be above him. But if Stephens beats Aldo then Moicano suddenly becomes a factor. Great division, all class fighters, those 7, Swanson and possibly still the best roster of prospects with Zabit, Volkanovski and Bektic. Chad Mendes back in a big way too.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I wouldn't mind seeing Stephens/KZ, Mendes/KZ or Mendes/Stephens.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could end up with a situation very soon (with a big Mendes win) where Aldo is ranked #1 yet can't fight the champ (0-2) and can't fight #3 and #4 (2-0 against both). At least that would make matchmaking easy for 1 fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

How big is this Costa dude? Mike Perry looks FW sized there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Eddie Alvarez's fight iq leaves much to be desired.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That body shot..

..and the immediate look on Stephens' face after, like he was about to throw up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Eddie Alvarez's fight iq leaves much to be desired.
    Yeah, that 12-6 elbow.. Wtf..?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was great to see Aldo get a finish. A testament to the greatness of Max Holloway too, doing what he did to Aldo. Stephens had been finished once in his last 22 fights and never at featherweight, and Aldo took him out inside a round. It wasn't vintage Aldo by any means either, he fought like an old gunslinger who knows he's got every offensive tool in his arsenal and took a chance by allowing Stephens to make it a bit of a brawl. That body shot was lethal. At this point I want to see him at 155 though. He's got 3 fights left on his contract and isn't getting the featherweight title while Max's around, so why not go up and stop cutting all that weight? Pettis and Alvarez are winnable fights (in that order) and would be big, well promoted affairs. Why doss about with the Josh Emmett's and Mirsad Bektic's when they're on the table? If he won those 2 fights, the title fight could fall into place for him at lightweight too.

Poirier is a beast. Such a great fighter to watch. You feel if he was around just a year earlier and his early UFC action fights took place in the WEC, he'd be a bit of a cult hero. Alas, he's at least getting recognition now. Him and Tony Ferguson might be THE action fight in UFC history. How would that not be absolutely bonkers? Put that underneath Khabib vs. Conor and count the money, winners obviously face each other.

Joanna is another champion that would benefit from a change of divisions. Karolina/Andrade is the #1 contenders fight, so she needs one of them to beat Rose. But how marketable would a rematch be between one of them and Joanna? Joanna won at least 4 rounds against both women. Move up to 125, beat up a Sijara Eubanks or whomever and get a title shot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, that 12-6 elbow.. Wtf..?
    That wasn't even aimed at anything. People have chimed in to his defense saying that it's a stupid rule, and it is, but it's still a blatant rule and Eddie has been fighting long enough to know better. Especially considering how the first fight with Poirier ended.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aldo doesn’t need to move up. He is not particularly big for the division. Stephens was bigger than him too. He’s the greatest featherweight fighter ever who just happened to fight two of the best of a new breed to massive fighters who were boiling down a disgraceful amount to make the limit neither of which will be able to stay at featherweight. I think it’s highly possible that Holloway’s conccussion was partially due to his insane weight cuts and that he’ll be moving up pretty soon. Which would put Aldo back in line for a title shot. Unfortunately Ortega is also huge but just maybe a little green. If Aldo wins the title back and retires he’ll cement his position as one of the greatest of all time and the best natural featherweight ever. He mostly struggled with the weight when he was packing on extra muscle.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, depends on the Holloway situation. Maybe Max moves up now, maybe he does after beating Ortega and possibly the Edgar/Zombie winner too. He might lose the title as well of course. I'd love a superfight with Pettis though. Maybe at a 150lbs catchweight. Appeals to me more than Aldo vs. a 6-10 ranked featherweight and Pettis against a likewise lightweight. There's a FOX event in Milwaukee in December, that's a main event right there. The winner looks a more appealing contender in their respective division than they would, say by beating Renato Moicano and Justin Gaethje.